|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The Grand Canyon is found in the northern part of what state?
(a) New Mexico.
2. Whom does Fletcher describe at the beginning of "Chapter 3, Interlude?"
(a) The tourists.
(b) His family.
(c) The park rangers.
(d) The Havasupai Indians.
3. How many layers are included in the Rim?
4. What was Fletcher's only concern about the proposed trip?
(a) That he would be too lonely.
(b) That it would be physically impossible.
(c) That his family would not support him.
(d) That he would drown.
5. Approximately how thick is the first layer of the Grand Canyon?
(a) 400 feet.
(b) 1000 feet.
(c) 5 feet.
(d) 20 feet.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the Fletcher have to change in "Chapter 2, Reconnaissance?"
2. What is the current age estimate of the eighth layer of the Grand Canyon.
3. If he were to realize his dream, what would Fletcher accomplish?
4. What are layers 4 through 6 of the Grand Canyon called?
5. What event sparked a desire for Fletcher to study the Grand Canyon and make a journey through it alone?
Short Essay Questions
1. At the end of the Epilogue are two updates. One is about information from "Part I, The Place." What is this update?
2. How does Fletcher say the new perspective and understanding he gained on his journey changed him in society?
3. What are some ways Fletcher describes the Havasupai Indians in "Interlude?"
4. What were some adjustments Fletcher realized he must make during the beginning of his journey?
5. At the end of the Epilogue are two updates. One is about information from the original Epilogue. Summarize the information in this update.
6. Even though the view from the Rim of the Grand Canyon might have remained somewhat the same, what important aspect of Fletcher's journey does he say would surely have been destroyed by the projects proposed in the Epilogue, and what effect would that have had on the Canyon as a whole?
7. Describe one "compulsive walking" trip Fletcher mentions in a footnote of "Chapter 2, Dreams."
8. What were some of the "signs of man" Fletcher noticed as he approaches Phantom Ranch?
9. Describe Fletcher's reaction upon reaching the Esplanade at the beginning of "Chapter 4, Challenge."
10. What types of information did Fletcher receive from the National Park Visitor Center when he began to prepare for his trip?
This section contains 936 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)