|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does "Part 1, The Place" begin?
(a) With information on traveling through Arizona.
(b) With facts about the Grand Canyon.
(c) With advice on hiking.
(d) With facts about tourist destinations in the United States.
2. What is the current age estimate of the sixth layer of the Grand Canyon?
(a) 475 million years.
(b) 500 thousand years.
(c) 20 thousand years.
(d) 800 million years.
3. According to Fletcher, what would the rest of nature around the Grand Canyon do?
(a) Go through a period of reduction to make room for more species.
(b) Become tame and friendly to survive growing tourism.
(c) Stay exactly the same.
(d) Adapt to the continuing changes.
4. What material makes up the seventh layer of the Grand Canyon?
(b) Tapeats sandstone.
5. What was one of the first things Fletcher noticed as he began his journey?
(a) The darkness of the night.
(b) The vast silence and emptiness of the canyon.
(c) The sound of crickets and frogs.
(d) The moonlight reflecting on the rocks.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Fletcher say was a sacrilege when it interrupted the silence of the Grand Canyon?
2. In "Chapter 4, Challenge," Fletcher describes the Esplanade as a maze. What constant choice does he say a traveler had to make all along the Esplanade?
3. What is the current age estimate of the eighth layer of the Grand Canyon.
4. What kind of condition was Fletcher in at the beginning of his trip?
5. Where was Lorenzo Sinyala born?
Short Essay Questions
1. Briefly describe the events surrounding the first supply drop Fletcher describes in "Chapter 4, Challenge."
2. Briefly describe Fletcher's relationship with Dr. Harvey Butchart. Include a description of who Harvey Butchart was and how he helped Fletcher.
3. Fletcher decided to spend a week in an area just outside the Supai village. Describe what he did during that week.
4. Tell about one thing Fletcher says in "Chapter 10, Exit," that did not turn out as he thought it would.
5. What president does Fletcher quote at the end of book, and what did the president say about the Canyon?
6. Near the end of "Chapter 9, Man," what physical challenge did Fletcher have to conquer to reach his last air-drop and his route out of the Canyon?
7. Where did Fletcher make camp his first night and how did he describe the area he picked for a campsite?
8. Describe the meeting between Fletcher and Jim Bailey (the pilot who air-dropped Fletcher's supplies) at the end of "Chapter 5, Transition." Include why Fletcher doubted he would see Bailey at this point in his trip and how he described Bailey when he first saw him.
9. What were some changes Fletcher noticed soon after he left the platform over Hualpai Canyon?
10. What type of conference did Fletcher attend a few weeks after the end of his journey through the Grand Canyon, and what did he learn there?
This section contains 1,132 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)