|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the area directly above the seventh layer of the Grand Canyon called?
(a) The Grand Trench.
(b) The Rim.
(c) The Tonto Platform.
(d) The Red Wall.
2. What type of graphic is found at the beginning of "Part 3, The Journey?"
(a) A bar graph showing the change in tourism at the Grand Canyon.
(b) A map showing a simplified profile of the geology of the Grand Canyon.
(c) A chart of vegetation found in the Grand Canyon.
(d) A chart of wild life in the desert.
3. How does Fletcher describe the state of the Grand Canyon at the time the book was written?
(a) Nearing destruction in a few years.
(b) A dying canyon.
(c) Finished changing.
(d) Still changing.
4. What kind of condition was Fletcher in at the beginning of his trip?
(a) Diabetic but with great stamina.
(b) Suffering from rheumatoid arthritis.
(c) Great physical condition.
(d) Just recovering from influenza.
5. Why was the place where Fletcher arrived in "Chapter 4, Challenge" such a relief to his spirit?
(a) His arrival meant he was almost done with his trip.
(b) He found fresh water there.
(c) It was a wide open area, a relief from the closed spaces of the side canyons.
(d) He found a better shelter for the night.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Fletcher's reaction upon his first trip to the Rim?
2. How did Fletcher say the big moment happened when he knew he would take the journey through the Grand Canyon?
3. What information was not sought by Fletcher before beginning his trip?
4. What did geologists say disrupted the Colorado River's flow and lead to the formation of the Grand Canyon?
5. What term does the author use for what comprises the third layer of the Grand Canyon?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who drove Fletcher to the starting point of his trip into the Canyon? Where was he from and how did he interact with and help Fletcher at the beginning of his journey?
2. As Fletcher talked with Jim Bailey and a park naturalist in a cave at the beginning of "Chapter 6, Rock," he noticed something behind the words of Bailey and the other man. Describe what he noticed and what happened to it after they left.
3. Several incidents surrounded the time Fletcher spent with David Powell in "Chapter 9, Man" Describe one of these incidents.
4. How long did it take Fletcher to travel from Bass Camp to Phantom Ranch, and how was that time period broken up?
5. What realization did Fletcher come to and write about in his journal as he noticed all the signs of man beside Nankoweap Creek in "Chapter 10, Exit?"
6. What decision did Fletcher make in regard to obtaining information about the Canyon before his trip and why did he make this decision?
7. In "Chapter 10, Exit," what were three of the things, serious or not, Fletcher says he had gained from his journey?
8. What are some ways Fletcher describes the Havasupai Indians in "Interlude?"
9. Explain what Fletcher states as the explanation for the formation of the Grand Canyon.
10. Briefly describe the events surrounding the first supply drop Fletcher describes in "Chapter 4, Challenge."
This section contains 1,110 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)