|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. With what event does "Chapter 5, Transition" begin?
(a) Fletcher falling into a ravine.
(b) Fletcher running out of water.
(c) A Cessna flying away.
(d) Wolves attacking the camp.
2. Part 1 is called "The Place." What is the place?
(b) Forester Canyon.
(c) The Grand Canyon.
(d) The Painted Desert.
3. When did Fletcher's journey through the Grand Canyon begin?
(a) At daybreak in mid-June.
(b) At noon in early October.
(c) At dusk in early February.
(d) At sunset in mid-April.
4. How many layers of the Grand Canyon are shown in the schematic in "Part 3, The Journey?"
5. Why might the Colorado River cause problems for Fletcher?
(a) The animals along the river were dangerous.
(b) He didn't have a boat.
(c) It was impassable in some parts.
(d) He was highly allergic to a plant that grew along the banks of the river.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the Fletcher have to change in "Chapter 2, Reconnaissance?"
2. What kind of condition was Fletcher in at the beginning of his trip?
3. What is the current age estimate of the second layer of the Grand Canyon?
4. What were some of the plans for his trip that Fletcher details in "Part 2, The Dream?"
5. What substance comprises the fourth layer of the Grand Canyon?
Short Essay Questions
1. What type of conference did Fletcher attend a few weeks after the end of his journey through the Grand Canyon, and what did he learn there?
2. What does Fletcher say happened to him when he arrived at Phantom Ranch?
3. What were the first three signs of man that Fletcher noticed after washing in Nankoweap Creek near the end of his journey in "Chapter 10, Exit?"
4. Describe the meeting between Fletcher and Jim Bailey (the pilot who air-dropped Fletcher's supplies) at the end of "Chapter 5, Transition." Include why Fletcher doubted he would see Bailey at this point in his trip and how he described Bailey when he first saw him.
5. What types of information can be obtained from the graph on the first page of "Part 3, The Journey?"
6. Tell about one thing Fletcher says in "Chapter 10, Exit," that did not turn out as he thought it would.
7. What decision did Fletcher make in regard to obtaining information about the Canyon before his trip and why did he make this decision?
8. Who drove Fletcher to the starting point of his trip into the Canyon? Where was he from and how did he interact with and help Fletcher at the beginning of his journey?
9. In "Chapter 10, Exit," what were three of the things, serious or not, Fletcher says he had gained from his journey?
10. At the very beginning of the Epilogue, what does Fletcher say might happen if man is not careful?
This section contains 980 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)