|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did geologists say disrupted the Colorado River's flow and lead to the formation of the Grand Canyon?
(a) A land slide.
(b) A comet.
(c) A volcano.
(d) An upheaval of earth.
2. What was Fletcher's only concern about the proposed trip?
(a) That his family would not support him.
(b) That he would be too lonely.
(c) That he would drown.
(d) That it would be physically impossible.
3. What is the current age estimate of the eighth layer of the Grand Canyon.
(a) 1 to 2 billion years.
(b) 750 million years.
(c) 800 thousand years.
(d) 5 million years.
4. What material makes up the second layer of the Grand Canyon?
(b) Volcanic ash.
5. What term does the author use for what comprises the third layer of the Grand Canyon?
(a) The Grand Layer.
(b) The Canyon Layer.
(c) The Supai Formation.
(d) The Great Formation.
Short Answer Questions
1. Approximately how thick is the first layer of the Grand Canyon?
2. Where did Fletcher go to ask questions about the area in which he would be traveling?
3. In "Chapter 2, Reconnaissance," what does Fletcher say he realized during his trip?
4. What are hanging terraces?
5. How does Fletcher describe the state of the Grand Canyon at the time the book was written?
Short Essay Questions
1. At the end of the Epilogue are two updates. One is about information from "Part I, The Place." What is this update?
2. As Fletcher talked with Jim Bailey and a park naturalist in a cave at the beginning of "Chapter 6, Rock," he noticed something behind the words of Bailey and the other man. Describe what he noticed and what happened to it after they left.
3. What does Fletcher say happened to him when he arrived at Phantom Ranch?
4. Describe the meeting between Fletcher and Jim Bailey (the pilot who air-dropped Fletcher's supplies) at the end of "Chapter 5, Transition." Include why Fletcher doubted he would see Bailey at this point in his trip and how he described Bailey when he first saw him.
5. What were some of the "signs of man" Fletcher noticed as he approaches Phantom Ranch?
6. What types of information can be obtained from the graph on the first page of "Part 3, The Journey?"
7. During his week at Phantom Ranch, Fletcher experienced a change. What was this change, and what was one thing that contributed to it?
8. Even though the view from the Rim of the Grand Canyon might have remained somewhat the same, what important aspect of Fletcher's journey does he say would surely have been destroyed by the projects proposed in the Epilogue, and what effect would that have had on the Canyon as a whole?
9. How did Fletcher spend the year between his decision to travel through the Canyon and his actual start date?
10. Fletcher decided to spend a week in an area just outside the Supai village. Describe what he did during that week.
This section contains 1,031 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)