|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the book say geologists believe formed the Grand Canyon?
(a) The Colorado River.
(b) An earthquake.
(c) A large sea that evaporated after a 200 year drought.
(d) A volcanic eruption.
2. What did "Part II, The Dream" describe?
(a) Fletcher's pans to study the Grand Canyon and travel it alone.
(b) Fletcher's dream to become a famous explorer.
(c) A childhood dream of Fletcher's in which he visited an American Indian village.
(d) A nightmare Fletcher had in which he fell from a high cliff.
3. Who does Fletcher credit with making the first trip through the Grand Canyon?
(a) Lorenzo Sinyala.
(b) Hernando DeSoto.
(c) John Wesley Powell.
(d) Lewis and Clark.
4. What questions does Fletcher say he hoped he would find some solutions for as he traveled the Grand Canyon?
(a) "How do the Havasupai live?" and "What is the history of the mule?"
(b) "How long can a man go without human contact?" and "What current wild animals can be domesticated?"
(c) "Where did we come from?" and "What are we doing here?""
(d) "Was there really a great flood?" and "Is the Grand Canyon really as old as they say?"
5. What event sparked a desire for Fletcher to study the Grand Canyon and make a journey through it alone?
(a) A visit from and American Indian in a dream.
(b) A television special highlighting the place.
(c) An impromptu side trip made to the Grand Canyon during a cross country journey with a friend.
(d) The death of a close friend.
Short Answer Questions
1. What cheerful tribal tourist manager did Fletcher meet in "Chapter 3, Interlude?"
2. How does Fletcher describe the state of the Grand Canyon at the time the book was written?
3. What term does the author use for what comprises the third layer of the Grand Canyon?
4. What are hanging terraces?
5. According to Fletcher, what would the rest of nature around the Grand Canyon do?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "Chapter 5, Transition," why did Fletcher decide to proceed to Bass Camp along the terrace rather than forging a trail down Fossil Canyon to the Colorado River?
2. What was the difference between how Fletcher viewed the area around Phantom Ranch and how those visiting more recently from the outside world viewed it in "Chapter 8, Life?"
3. What were some adjustments Fletcher realized he must make during the beginning of his journey?
4. At the beginning of "Chapter 5, Transition," Fletcher details how the airdrop has affected him. Describe this realization.
5. What does Fletcher say was part of the problem with trying to convince engineers that the projects were a bad idea?
6. At the end of the Epilogue are two updates. One is about information from the original Epilogue. Summarize the information in this update.
7. In "Chapter 10, Exit," what were three of the things, serious or not, Fletcher says he had gained from his journey?
8. As Fletcher talked with Jim Bailey and a park naturalist in a cave at the beginning of "Chapter 6, Rock," he noticed something behind the words of Bailey and the other man. Describe what he noticed and what happened to it after they left.
9. Describe the appearance of the Canyon as Fletcher describes it in "Chapter 2, The Dream."
10. Explain what Fletcher states as the explanation for the formation of the Grand Canyon.
This section contains 1,094 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)