|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What material makes up the first and youngest layer of the Grand Canyon?
(a) Volcanic ash.
2. Why might the Colorado River cause problems for Fletcher?
(a) He didn't have a boat.
(b) He was highly allergic to a plant that grew along the banks of the river.
(c) The animals along the river were dangerous.
(d) It was impassable in some parts.
3. What cheerful tribal tourist manager did Fletcher meet in "Chapter 3, Interlude?"
(a) John Wesley Powell.
(b) Lorenzo Sinyala.
(c) Colin Fletcher.
(d) Neil Ukwalla.
4. How long did it take to for the Grand Canyon to form?
(a) 200 years.
(b) A thousand years.
(c) Millions of years.
(d) 500 Billion years.
5. What are some things Fletcher describes in "Part 2, The Dream?"
(a) His friend's clothes and car.
(b) The deer and chipmunks on the Rim.
(c) The beauty of the rocks and colors of the Grand Canyon.
(d) The tourists and park personnel.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Fletcher rule out following a route along the Colorado River?
2. What is another name for the Erosion Surface?
3. Approximately how thick is the fifth layer of the Grand Canyon?
4. Fletcher says while studying the Grand Canyon he realized the silence there was not a timeless one as he first thought. How does he define it instead?
5. What were some of the necessary items Fletcher took with him on his journey?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were some adjustments Fletcher realized he must make during the beginning of his journey?
2. What does Fletcher say happened to him when he arrived at Phantom Ranch?
3. How long did it take Fletcher to travel from Bass Camp to Phantom Ranch, and how was that time period broken up?
4. During his week at Phantom Ranch, Fletcher experienced a change. What was this change, and what was one thing that contributed to it?
5. What decision did Fletcher make in regard to obtaining information about the Canyon before his trip and why did he make this decision?
6. What realization did Fletcher come to and write about in his journal as he noticed all the signs of man beside Nankoweap Creek in "Chapter 10, Exit?"
7. Shortly after beginning his journey, Fletcher found himself standing still on a rock platform over Hualpai Canyon. What did he notice while standing there?
8. What were some of the "signs of man" Fletcher noticed as he approaches Phantom Ranch?
9. Tell about one thing Fletcher says in "Chapter 10, Exit," that did not turn out as he thought it would.
10. If performed as proposed, what were some of the possible effects of the proposed projects Fletcher warns the reader about in the Epilogue?
This section contains 940 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)