Mid-Book Test - Medium
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "Chapter 4, Challenge," Fletcher describes the Esplanade as a maze. What constant choice does he say a traveler had to make all along the Esplanade?
(a) Whether to go across the rock terraces or across the talus.
(b) Whether to follow the wildlife trail or forge his own.
(c) Whether to go straight across the river or travel downstream to a narrower spot.
(d) How long to stay in the area.
2. What did Fletcher say he saw even before he came close to the Grand Canyon?
(b) Jagged cliffs.
3. What did "Part II, The Dream" describe?
(a) A childhood dream of Fletcher's in which he visited an American Indian village.
(b) Fletcher's dream to become a famous explorer.
(c) Fletcher's pans to study the Grand Canyon and travel it alone.
(d) A nightmare Fletcher had in which he fell from a high cliff.
4. Why was the place where Fletcher arrived in "Chapter 4, Challenge" such a relief to his spirit?
(a) His arrival meant he was almost done with his trip.
(b) It was a wide open area, a relief from the closed spaces of the side canyons.
(c) He found a better shelter for the night.
(d) He found fresh water there.
5. The Grand Canyon is found in the northern part of what state?
(c) New Mexico.
Short Answer Questions
1. Approximately how thick is the third layer of the Grand Canyon?
2. What urge came to Fletcher's mind as he witnessed the different sights at the Rim?
3. Who says, "I do not think I ever really considered that things might go seriously wrong"?
4. What are some things Fletcher describes in "Part 2, The Dream?"
5. What questions does Fletcher say he hoped he would find some solutions for as he traveled the Grand Canyon?
Short Essay Questions
1. Name and describe another aspect of the Canyon other than its appearance that struck Fletcher.
2. Whom did Fletcher plan to meet in "the museum" in "Chapter 9, Man," and what connection did this person have to the history of the Canyon?
3. Near the end of "Chapter 9, Man," what physical challenge did Fletcher have to conquer to reach his last air-drop and his route out of the Canyon?
4. Tell about one thing Fletcher says in "Chapter 10, Exit," that did not turn out as he thought it would.
5. Where did Fletcher decide to spend the last two weeks of his trip. What did he call the place, and what did he plan to learn there?
6. Fletcher decided to spend a week in an area just outside the Supai village. Describe what he did during that week.
7. What were some of the "signs of man" Fletcher noticed as he approaches Phantom Ranch?
8. During his week at Phantom Ranch, Fletcher experienced a change. What was this change, and what was one thing that contributed to it?
9. What were some intrusions on the interior of the Grand Canyon that man would make to accomplish the projects Fletcher discusses in the Epilogue?
10. At the end of the Epilogue are two updates. One is about information from the original Epilogue. Summarize the information in this update.
This section contains 1,048 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)