|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What type of graphic is found at the beginning of "Part 3, The Journey?"
(a) A chart of wild life in the desert.
(b) A chart of vegetation found in the Grand Canyon.
(c) A bar graph showing the change in tourism at the Grand Canyon.
(d) A map showing a simplified profile of the geology of the Grand Canyon.
2. What did Fletcher find difficult, if not impossible, to mentally grasp and understand in "Chapter 1, Entrance?"
(a) The number of animals in the area.
(b) The Supai customs.
(c) His responsibility to the wildlife of the area.
(d) The immenseness of his surroundings and the age of the Grand Canyon.
3. What lifestyle does Fletcher describe in a footnote in "Part 2, The Dream?"
(a) A compulsive walker.
(b) An accomplished musician.
(c) A famous millionaire.
(d) A compulsive gambler.
4. What part of nature is not described in "Part 2, The Dream?"
(a) The peace of the ocean.
(b) The immenseness and timelessness of the Rim.
(c) Various rocks.
(d) The beauty of the Grand Canyon.
5. What were some of the plans for his trip that Fletcher details in "Part 2, The Dream?"
(a) Plans to arrange for a replacement for him at work.
(b) Plans to arrange for food and water during his trip.
(c) Plans for a mule to help him navigate the Grand Canyon.
(d) Plans to arrange a series of interviews with newspapers about his trip.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of condition was Fletcher in at the beginning of his trip?
2. What substance comprises the fourth layer of the Grand Canyon?
3. Fletcher says while studying the Grand Canyon he realized the silence there was not a timeless one as he first thought. How does he define it instead?
4. When did Fletcher's dream become a reality?
5. Approximately how thick is the third layer of the Grand Canyon?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where did Fletcher make camp his first night and how did he describe the area he picked for a campsite?
2. What doubts, if any, did Fletcher have about the trek through the Canyon after he decided he wanted to do it?
3. What were some changes Fletcher noticed soon after he left the platform over Hualpai Canyon?
4. What were some of the "signs of man" Fletcher noticed as he approaches Phantom Ranch?
5. How did Fletcher spend the year between his decision to travel through the Canyon and his actual start date?
6. What does Fletcher say is the bottom line reason for the proposed projects in the Epilogue?
7. In "Chapter 4, Challenge," Fletcher details several "stupidities" that caused delays in his trip toward Sinyala Canyon. Describe one of these "stupidities."
8. What did William Wallace Bass establish in the Grand Canyon, and how did it come about?
9. How long did it take Fletcher to travel from Bass Camp to Phantom Ranch, and how was that time period broken up?
10. At the beginning of "Chapter 5, Transition," Fletcher details how the airdrop has affected him. Describe this realization.
This section contains 975 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)