|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the current age estimate of the eighth layer of the Grand Canyon.
(a) 750 million years.
(b) 1 to 2 billion years.
(c) 800 thousand years.
(d) 5 million years.
2. What did "Part II, The Dream" describe?
(a) Fletcher's pans to study the Grand Canyon and travel it alone.
(b) A nightmare Fletcher had in which he fell from a high cliff.
(c) A childhood dream of Fletcher's in which he visited an American Indian village.
(d) Fletcher's dream to become a famous explorer.
3. According to the Fletcher, how did the changes in the earth that formed the Grand Canyon happen?
(a) Dramatically with a large explosion.
(b) Quickly after an eruption.
(c) Moderately after a cataclysmic event.
(d) Very slowly.
4. What is the name of the government agency established to protect the rights of Native Americans?
(a) Bureau of Indian Affairs.
(b) Native American Administration.
(c) Native American Commission.
(d) Commission of Indian Rights.
5. About what did Fletcher begin to worry in "Chapter 3, Interlude?"
(a) His injured ankle.
(b) The lack of modern technology in the Supai village.
(c) The endangered animals living in the canyon.
(d) Bad weather.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are some things Fletcher describes in "Part 2, The Dream?"
2. What advice did Lorenzo Sinyala offer to Fletcher?
3. How did Fletcher redefine the path of his trip?
4. In "Chapter 2, Reconnaissance," what does Fletcher say he realized during his trip?
5. Approximately how thick is the fifth layer of the Grand Canyon?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Fletcher's reaction upon reaching the Esplanade at the beginning of "Chapter 4, Challenge."
2. What type of conference did Fletcher attend a few weeks after the end of his journey through the Grand Canyon, and what did he learn there?
3. At the very beginning of the Epilogue, what does Fletcher say might happen if man is not careful?
4. What did William Wallace Bass establish in the Grand Canyon, and how did it come about?
5. What town did Fletcher say he wanted to drive through on his way home from his journey through the Grand Canyon and why?
6. Shortly after beginning his journey, Fletcher found himself standing still on a rock platform over Hualpai Canyon. What did he notice while standing there?
7. As Fletcher began to research the Grand Canyon in preparation for his journey, what were some of the barriers and challenges Fletcher realized he would need to consider?
8. In "Chapter 4, Challenge," Fletcher details several "stupidities" that caused delays in his trip toward Sinyala Canyon. Describe one of these "stupidities."
9. At the end of the Epilogue are two updates. One is about information from "Part I, The Place." What is this update?
10. Describe the meeting between Fletcher and Jim Bailey (the pilot who air-dropped Fletcher's supplies) at the end of "Chapter 5, Transition." Include why Fletcher doubted he would see Bailey at this point in his trip and how he described Bailey when he first saw him.
This section contains 1,069 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)