|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What information was not sought by Fletcher before beginning his trip?
(a) Information about weather.
(b) Information about trails.
(c) Information about the possibility of attacks by wild boar.
(d) Information about the existence of water sources.
2. About how long did Fletcher stay at the Grand Canyon Village?
(a) 1 year.
(b) 5 days.
(c) 1 month.
(d) 2 weeks.
3. What questions does Fletcher say he hoped he would find some solutions for as he traveled the Grand Canyon?
(a) "How long can a man go without human contact?" and "What current wild animals can be domesticated?"
(b) "Was there really a great flood?" and "Is the Grand Canyon really as old as they say?"
(c) "How do the Havasupai live?" and "What is the history of the mule?"
(d) "Where did we come from?" and "What are we doing here?""
4. What material makes up the seventh layer of the Grand Canyon?
(d) Tapeats sandstone.
5. What part of nature is not described in "Part 2, The Dream?"
(a) The immenseness and timelessness of the Rim.
(b) Various rocks.
(c) The beauty of the Grand Canyon.
(d) The peace of the ocean.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long did Fletcher plan for his journey to take?
2. How did Fletcher say the big moment happened when he knew he would take the journey through the Grand Canyon?
3. What were two things Fletcher mentions could have made parts of his path impassable?
4. What did the note found in Fletcher's care package say?
5. What was one of the first things Fletcher noticed as he began his journey?
Short Essay Questions
1. At the beginning of "Chapter 5, Transition," Fletcher details how the airdrop has affected him. Describe this realization.
2. How did Fletcher spend the year between his decision to travel through the Canyon and his actual start date?
3. Shortly after beginning his journey, Fletcher found himself standing still on a rock platform over Hualpai Canyon. What did he notice while standing there?
4. At the end of the Epilogue are two updates. One is about information from "Part I, The Place." What is this update?
5. During his week at Phantom Ranch, Fletcher experienced a change. What was this change, and what was one thing that contributed to it?
6. Describe Fletcher's reaction upon reaching the Esplanade at the beginning of "Chapter 4, Challenge."
7. What doubts, if any, did Fletcher have about the trek through the Canyon after he decided he wanted to do it?
8. What were some changes Fletcher noticed soon after he left the platform over Hualpai Canyon?
9. Describe one "compulsive walking" trip Fletcher mentions in a footnote of "Chapter 2, Dreams."
10. What town did Fletcher say he wanted to drive through on his way home from his journey through the Grand Canyon and why?
This section contains 965 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)