|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Fletcher's idea was first fully formed, what doubts bugged him?
(a) No real doubts.
(b) How he would ask his boss for time off.
(c) What he would do about his diabetes while he was on his journey.
(d) How he would stay away from home so long.
2. According to Fletcher, what would the rest of nature around the Grand Canyon do?
(a) Stay exactly the same.
(b) Become tame and friendly to survive growing tourism.
(c) Adapt to the continuing changes.
(d) Go through a period of reduction to make room for more species.
3. With what event does "Chapter 5, Transition" begin?
(a) Fletcher falling into a ravine.
(b) Wolves attacking the camp.
(c) Fletcher running out of water.
(d) A Cessna flying away.
4. Whom does Fletcher describe at the beginning of "Chapter 3, Interlude?"
(a) The park rangers.
(b) The Havasupai Indians.
(c) The tourists.
(d) His family.
5. Where was Lorenzo Sinyala born?
(a) San Antonio, Texas.
(b) San Diego, California.
(c) A Supai village.
(d) Flagstaff, Arizona.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Fletcher say he saw even before he came close to the Grand Canyon?
2. What was Fletcher's reaction upon his first trip to the Rim?
3. What did the note found in Fletcher's care package say?
4. What term does the author use for what comprises the third layer of the Grand Canyon?
5. Part 1 is called "The Place." What is the place?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the difference between how Fletcher viewed the area around Phantom Ranch and how those visiting more recently from the outside world viewed it in "Chapter 8, Life?"
2. As Fletcher talked with Jim Bailey and a park naturalist in a cave at the beginning of "Chapter 6, Rock," he noticed something behind the words of Bailey and the other man. Describe what he noticed and what happened to it after they left.
3. Shortly after beginning his journey, Fletcher found himself standing still on a rock platform over Hualpai Canyon. What did he notice while standing there?
4. What does Fletcher say was part of the problem with trying to convince engineers that the projects were a bad idea?
5. At the beginning of "Chapter 5, Transition," Fletcher details how the airdrop has affected him. Describe this realization.
6. Whom did Fletcher plan to meet in "the museum" in "Chapter 9, Man," and what connection did this person have to the history of the Canyon?
7. What does Fletcher say happened to him when he arrived at Phantom Ranch?
8. Describe the reasons behind Fletcher's decision to make his trip in mid-April.
9. What doubts, if any, did Fletcher have about the trek through the Canyon after he decided he wanted to do it?
10. What was one part of his surroundings that Fletcher describes as he is in the cave and how does he describe it?
This section contains 974 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)