|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. If he were to realize his dream, what would Fletcher accomplish?
(a) He would swim across the river in record time.
(b) He would be the first person to make a solo trek through the Grand Canyon.
(c) He would be the youngest person to make it to the top peak.
(d) He would write a song about the place that would raise him to stardom.
2. What are layers 4 through 6 of the Grand Canyon called?
(a) The Great Unconformity.
(b) The Red Wall.
(c) The Rim.
3. Who is the "The Man" in The Man Who Walked Through Time?
(a) John Wesley Powell.
(b) William Wallace Bass.
(c) Lorenzo Sinyala.
(d) Colin Fletcher.
4. What were some of the necessary items Fletcher took with him on his journey?
(a) A portable raft, cell phone, and mace.
(b) Sleeping bag, dehydrated rations, and an air mattress.
(c) A shotgun, a device to purify water, and snake repellant.
(d) A life jacket, fishing pole, and a bucket of worms.
5. What were two things Fletcher mentions could have made parts of his path impassable?
(a) Wolves and bears.
(b) The Native American population and the mountain.
(c) The desert and rattlesnake nests.
(d) The Colorado River and the hanging terraces.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Fletcher say he realized he might be doing when he hiked through the Grand Canyon?
2. What did Fletcher find difficult, if not impossible, to mentally grasp and understand in "Chapter 1, Entrance?"
3. Part 1 is called "The Place." What is the place?
4. What are some things Fletcher describes in "Part 2, The Dream?"
5. Where did Fletcher go to ask questions about the area in which he would be traveling?
Short Essay Questions
1. Near the end of "Chapter 9, Man," what physical challenge did Fletcher have to conquer to reach his last air-drop and his route out of the Canyon?
2. How did Fletcher spend the year between his decision to travel through the Canyon and his actual start date?
3. What are some ways Fletcher describes the Havasupai Indians in "Interlude?"
4. What were some of the "signs of man" Fletcher noticed as he approaches Phantom Ranch?
5. Briefly describe Fletcher's relationship with Dr. Harvey Butchart. Include a description of who Harvey Butchart was and how he helped Fletcher.
6. What doubts, if any, did Fletcher have about the trek through the Canyon after he decided he wanted to do it?
7. Tell about one thing Fletcher says in "Chapter 10, Exit," that did not turn out as he thought it would.
8. What did William Wallace Bass establish in the Grand Canyon, and how did it come about?
9. Who drove Fletcher to the starting point of his trip into the Canyon? Where was he from and how did he interact with and help Fletcher at the beginning of his journey?
10. What types of information did Fletcher receive from the National Park Visitor Center when he began to prepare for his trip?
This section contains 1,100 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)