|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Fletcher describe the Grand Canyon?
(a) "A gigantic hole in the desert plateau."
(b) "Huge stacks of multicolored rock."
(c) "A chasm . . . like a gigantic and impossible desert crevasse."
(d) "An upside-down mountain wonder."
2. What did geologists say disrupted the Colorado River's flow and lead to the formation of the Grand Canyon?
(a) A volcano.
(b) A land slide.
(c) An upheaval of earth.
(d) A comet.
3. What urge came to Fletcher's mind as he witnessed the different sights at the Rim?
(a) To swim across the river.
(b) To climb the mountain.
(c) To hike the canyon.
(d) To leave and never come back.
4. What term does the author use for what comprises the third layer of the Grand Canyon?
(a) The Great Formation.
(b) The Grand Layer.
(c) The Supai Formation.
(d) The Canyon Layer.
5. The Grand Canyon is found in the northern part of what state?
(d) New Mexico.
Short Answer Questions
1. About what did Fletcher begin to worry in "Chapter 3, Interlude?"
2. Why does Fletcher say it might have been good that he didn't start his journey right after he decided to take it?
3. What questions does Fletcher say he hoped he would find some solutions for as he traveled the Grand Canyon?
4. Who does Fletcher credit with making the first trip through the Grand Canyon?
5. What were some of the necessary items Fletcher took with him on his journey?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were some changes Fletcher noticed soon after he left the platform over Hualpai Canyon?
2. Name and describe another aspect of the Canyon other than its appearance that struck Fletcher.
3. Describe one aspect of the Havasupai Indians' current life that troubled or saddened Fletcher?
4. What president does Fletcher quote at the end of book, and what did the president say about the Canyon?
5. Where did Fletcher make camp his first night and how did he describe the area he picked for a campsite?
6. Describe the different ways Fletcher arranged to receive supplies during his journey.
7. In "Chapter 5, Transition," why did Fletcher decide to proceed to Bass Camp along the terrace rather than forging a trail down Fossil Canyon to the Colorado River?
8. Briefly describe the event that sparked Fletcher's desire to travel through the Grand Canyon alone.
9. Tell about one thing Fletcher says in "Chapter 10, Exit," that did not turn out as he thought it would.
10. What types of information did Fletcher receive from the National Park Visitor Center when he began to prepare for his trip?
This section contains 1,062 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)