|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why might the Colorado River cause problems for Fletcher?
(a) He didn't have a boat.
(b) It was impassable in some parts.
(c) He was highly allergic to a plant that grew along the banks of the river.
(d) The animals along the river were dangerous.
2. Who drove Fletcher to the parking area at the edge of the Rim?
(a) Lorenzo Sinyala.
(b) His father.
(c) John Wesley Powell.
(d) Colin Fletcher.
3. Approximately how thick is the fifth layer of the Grand Canyon?
(a) 500 feet.
(b) 50 feet.
(c) 200 feet.
(d) 1000 feet.
4. What is the current age estimate of the seventh layer of the Grand Canyon?
(a) 1 billion years.
(b) 750 thousand years.
(c) 500 million years.
(d) 30 thousand years.
5. What are layers 4 through 6 of the Grand Canyon called?
(a) The Red Wall.
(b) The Great Unconformity.
(c) The Rim.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Fletcher find difficult, if not impossible, to mentally grasp and understand in "Chapter 1, Entrance?"
2. Approximately how thick is the third layer of the Grand Canyon?
3. How long is the Grand Canyon?
4. What did geologists say disrupted the Colorado River's flow and lead to the formation of the Grand Canyon?
5. What were some of the necessary items Fletcher took with him on his journey?
Short Essay Questions
1. What town did Fletcher say he wanted to drive through on his way home from his journey through the Grand Canyon and why?
2. Where did Fletcher decide to spend the last two weeks of his trip. What did he call the place, and what did he plan to learn there?
3. At the end of the Epilogue are two updates. One is about information from the original Epilogue. Summarize the information in this update.
4. Several incidents surrounded the time Fletcher spent with David Powell in "Chapter 9, Man" Describe one of these incidents.
5. How did Fletcher spend the year between his decision to travel through the Canyon and his actual start date?
6. Describe the reasons behind Fletcher's decision to make his trip in mid-April.
7. Explain what Fletcher states as the explanation for the formation of the Grand Canyon.
8. Briefly describe the event that sparked Fletcher's desire to travel through the Grand Canyon alone.
9. In "Chapter 4, Challenge," Fletcher details several "stupidities" that caused delays in his trip toward Sinyala Canyon. Describe one of these "stupidities."
10. Near the end of "Chapter 9, Man," what physical challenge did Fletcher have to conquer to reach his last air-drop and his route out of the Canyon?
This section contains 1,003 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)