|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What material makes up the first and youngest layer of the Grand Canyon?
(d) Volcanic ash.
2. What term does the author use for what comprises the third layer of the Grand Canyon?
(a) The Great Formation.
(b) The Grand Layer.
(c) The Supai Formation.
(d) The Canyon Layer.
3. What event sparked a desire for Fletcher to study the Grand Canyon and make a journey through it alone?
(a) A television special highlighting the place.
(b) The death of a close friend.
(c) An impromptu side trip made to the Grand Canyon during a cross country journey with a friend.
(d) A visit from and American Indian in a dream.
4. What did Fletcher pass and nearly miss altogether in "Chapter 4, Challenge?"
(a) The gap in the pass.
(b) The first air drop of supplies.
(c) The only fresh water for miles.
(d) The trail through the ravine.
5. The Grand Canyon is found in the northern part of what state?
(b) New Mexico.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Fletcher's journey begin?
2. How did Fletcher say the big moment happened when he knew he would take the journey through the Grand Canyon?
3. What material comprises the sixth layer of the Grand Canyon?
4. How long did it take to for the Grand Canyon to form?
5. Whom does Fletcher credit with giving him the most knowledge of the Grand Canyon?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did William Wallace Bass establish in the Grand Canyon, and how did it come about?
2. Briefly describe the event that sparked Fletcher's desire to travel through the Grand Canyon alone.
3. Describe the reasons behind Fletcher's decision to make his trip in mid-April.
4. In "Chapter 2, The Dream," where did Fletcher decide to plant two caches of food supplies and why?
5. Where did Fletcher make camp his first night and how did he describe the area he picked for a campsite?
6. At the very beginning of the Epilogue, what does Fletcher say might happen if man is not careful?
7. Shortly after beginning his journey, Fletcher found himself standing still on a rock platform over Hualpai Canyon. What did he notice while standing there?
8. How does Fletcher say the new perspective and understanding he gained on his journey changed him in society?
9. In "Chapter 4, Challenge," Fletcher details several "stupidities" that caused delays in his trip toward Sinyala Canyon. Describe one of these "stupidities."
10. During his week at Phantom Ranch, Fletcher experienced a change. What was this change, and what was one thing that contributed to it?
This section contains 975 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)