|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Fletcher say would be different about how he will fit into society?
(a) He planned to live as a hermit.
(b) He thought he would be a better citizen because of his new insights.
(c) He planned to camp outside the Canyon protesting tourists.
(d) He was afraid he would not fit in well after spending so much time alone.
2. In "Chapter 7, Rhythm," how does Fletcher describe the change in how he connected to the Canyon?
(a) It began as a search for undiscovered wildlife and ended as a successful research trip.
(b) It began as a dream and ended as a tragedy.
(c) It began as an enjoyable adventure and ended in pain and discouragement.
(d) It began as fragmented parts and sights and ended as a crystallized, cohesive experience.
3. In "Chapter 9, Man," Fletcher planned to spend several days with a friend researching the Canyon. Who was this friend?
(a) John Wesley Powell.
(b) Doug Powell.
(c) Dr. Harvey Butchart.
(d) Jim Bailey.
4. What did Fletcher attend a few weeks after the end of his journey through the Grand Canyon?
(a) A conference on the Pacific Southwest Water Plan.
(b) A meeting of environmental activists.
(c) A pow-wow with the Havasupai Indians.
(d) A meeting for the Grand Canyon Tourist Committee.
5. What other changes was Fletcher concerned would occur if the Pacific Southwest Water Plan passed.
(a) The tourist industry at the Grand Canyon would die, taking money with it.
(b) Graffiti and pollution would spoil the surfaces of the cliff dwellings.
(c) Fletcher's book wouldn't sell because no one would want to visit the Grand Canyon anymore.
(d) The Grand Canyon would be used as a landfill.
6. According to Fletcher, what physical effects could the Pacific Southwest Water Plan have had on the Grand Canyon?
(a) The Colorado River could disappear and wildlife would die.
(b) The walls of the Grand Canyon would crumble.
(c) It would have no real effect.
(d) The dams would flood the whole Canyon.
7. How did Fletcher feel about the meeting he attended in "Part 4, Epilogue"?
(a) He was horrified.
(b) He was hopeful.
(c) He was excited.
(d) He was uplifted.
8. What types of activities did Fletcher describe in "Chapter 7, Rhythm?"
(a) Daily activities such as chores, fishing, and days of rest.
(b) Survival techniques such as bear hunting, teepee building, and first aid.
(c) Research activities such as charting, sampling and tagging.
(d) Indian activities such as carving arrowheads, making pottery, and sewing moccasins.
9. What was Fletcher afraid would be the most tragic loss for the Grand Canyon if the proposed water plan went through?
(a) Boss Camp.
(b) The silence.
(c) The Havasupai Village.
(d) The mules.
10. While at Phantom Ranch, what did Fletcher miss and want back that earlier in his journey made him uncomfortable?
(a) His heavy backpack.
(c) His hiking boots.
(d) Beef Jerky.
11. What did Fletcher attend a few weeks after the end of his journey through the Grand Canyon?
(a) A meeting for the Grand Canyon Tourist Committee.
(b) A pow-wow with the Havasupai Indians.
(c) A meeting of environmental activists.
(d) A conference on the Pacific Southwest Water Plan.
12. What animal does Fletcher say lived in significant numbers in the area past the head of Forester Canyon?
(b) Wild burros.
(d) Road Runners.
13. What was on the sheets of paper Fletcher found in "Chapter 10, Exit?"
(a) Instructions from Jim Bailey.
(b) Instructions for exiting the Grand Canyon safely.
(c) A note from Doug Powell.
(d) A daily bulletin from 1947 about a Colorado River expedition.
14. What creatures did Fletcher enjoy observing after passing the last barrier past Phantom Ranch?
15. What did Fletcher claim he began to hear as he traveled?
(c) The rhythm of the rock.
(d) A ringing in his ears.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what ancient living quarters did Fletcher sleep in "Chapter 9, Man?"
2. How did Fletcher feel about leaving the Canyon in "Chapter 10 Exit?"
3. About what specific skill did Fletcher compliment William Wallace Bass?
4. How did Fletcher feel about leaving the Canyon in "Chapter 10 Exit?"
5. How long did it take Fletcher to travel from Bass Trail to Phantom Ranch?
This section contains 749 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)