|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what ancient living quarters did Fletcher sleep in "Chapter 9, Man?"
(a) An adobe hut on beside the Colorado River.
(b) An ancient oak.
(c) Cliff dwellings.
(d) A natural cave.
2. To what did Fletcher attribute the distance traveled from Bass Trail to Phantom Ranch?
(a) A sturdy mule.
(b) His physical ability.
(c) A competent guide.
(d) Excellent maps.
3. How did Fletcher say the US Bureau of Reclamation was handling the tunnel plan?
(a) They were soft-peddling it.
(b) They were completely ignoring it.
(c) They were making a big deal of it.
(d) They were rejecting it publicly.
4. Where was Fletcher headed at the beginning of "Chapter 9, Man"?
(a) To the air drop site.
(b) Across the river.
(c) Back to Phantom Ranch.
(d) Into a deep valley.
5. In "Chapter 7, Rhythm," how does Fletcher describe the change in how he connected to the Canyon?
(a) It began as fragmented parts and sights and ended as a crystallized, cohesive experience.
(b) It began as a dream and ended as a tragedy.
(c) It began as an enjoyable adventure and ended in pain and discouragement.
(d) It began as a search for undiscovered wildlife and ended as a successful research trip.
6. Why does Fletcher say William Wallace Bass moved to the Grand Canyon area?
(a) To escape the law.
(b) To learn how to live like an Indian.
(c) To become one with nature.
(d) To find a better climate to cure or relieve his illness.
7. At the beginning of "Chapter 8, Life" what did Fletcher say he should have known "would drag me back into the present?"
(a) Phantom Ranch.
(b) Seeing a little boy playing in the dirt.
(c) Becoming ill.
(d) The Great Unconformity.
8. What other changes was Fletcher concerned would occur if the Pacific Southwest Water Plan passed?
(a) Fletcher's book wouldn't sell because no one would want to visit the Grand Canyon anymore.
(b) The Grand Canyon would be used as a landfill.
(c) The tourist industry at the Grand Canyon would die, taking money with it.
(d) Graffiti and pollution would spoil the surfaces of the cliff dwellings.
9. In contrast to people fresh from the city, how did Fletcher view the area near Phantom Ranch?
(a) As civilization, padded with comforts such as fresh food, electricity, and swimming pools.
(b) As an animal sanctuary.
(c) As a scientific research center.
(d) As a dirty and run-down slum.
10. Where did Fletcher decide to spend the last two weeks of his journey?
(a) At Bass Camp.
(b) In the Supai village.
(c) Studying the museum of the Grand Canyon.
(d) In a cave by the river.
11. What was the first intrusion from the outside world that Fletcher outlines in "Chapter 10, Exit?"
(a) Helicopter tracks.
(b) Music from a camper's transistor radio.
(c) A group of hikers.
(d) A baseball.
12. What does Fletcher mainly address in "Part 4, Epilogue?"
(a) Environmental concerns for the Grand Canyon.
(b) Fletcher's day-to-day routines outside the Grand Canyon.
(c) Fletcher's writings after his journey through the Grand Canyon.
(d) The need for a progressive tourism industry in the Grand Canyon.
13. About what specific skill did Fletcher compliment William Wallace Bass?
(a) His ability to garden in the desert climate.
(b) His prospecting skills.
(c) His construction ability.
(d) His congeniality.
14. Where were William Wallace Bass's ashes scattered?
(a) Into the air from the Rim.
(b) Into the Colorado River.
(c) Along the trail to Bass Camp.
(d) A butte called Holy Grail Temple.
15. How long did Fletcher rest at Bass Trail?
(a) Two days.
(b) Twelve hours.
(c) One month.
(d) Five days.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Fletcher feel about the meeting he attended in "Part 4, Epilogue"?
2. How did Fletcher get along with his friend during their time studying the Grand Canyon?
3. What disease did Fletcher say plagued William Wallace Bass?
4. What was on the sheets of paper Fletcher found in "Chapter 10, Exit?"
5. As Fletcher approached Phantom Ranch, what did he begin to notice?
This section contains 703 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)