|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long did it take to for the Grand Canyon to form?
(a) A thousand years.
(b) 200 years.
(c) Millions of years.
(d) 500 Billion years.
2. What is the current age estimate of the eighth layer of the Grand Canyon.
(a) 1 to 2 billion years.
(b) 750 million years.
(c) 800 thousand years.
(d) 5 million years.
3. What are layers 4 through 6 of the Grand Canyon called?
(a) The Red Wall.
(b) The Great Unconformity.
(d) The Rim.
4. The Grand Canyon is found in the northern part of what state?
(a) New Mexico.
5. Where did Fletcher decide to spend the first week of his journey?
(a) A tourist area outside the Supai Village.
(b) A cave shelter.
(c) An abandoned cabin.
(d) On the banks of the Colorado River.
6. Where did Fletcher's journey begin?
(a) The Grand Ravine.
(b) The Alamo.
(c) The Rio Grande.
(d) Hualpai Hilltop.
7. What material comprises the sixth layer of the Grand Canyon?
(d) Bright Angel Shale.
8. How many layers of the Grand Canyon are shown in the schematic in "Part 3, The Journey?"
9. How long after he saw the Grand Canyon for the first time did Fletcher begin his trip?
(a) About 6 months.
(b) About a year.
(c) Exactly 2 years.
(d) Almost 2 months.
10. What part of nature is not described in "Part 2, The Dream?"
(a) Various rocks.
(b) The beauty of the Grand Canyon.
(c) The immenseness and timelessness of the Rim.
(d) The peace of the ocean.
11. What kind of condition was Fletcher in at the beginning of his trip?
(a) Diabetic but with great stamina.
(b) Great physical condition.
(c) Suffering from rheumatoid arthritis.
(d) Just recovering from influenza.
12. Why did Fletcher rule out following a route along the Colorado River?
(a) It changed to an underground stream in places and was hard to follow.
(b) It crossed into an area sacred to the Havasupai Indians.
(c) He was afraid of the roaring water.
(d) It had many deep gorges and impassable areas.
13. What is the current age estimate of the seventh layer of the Grand Canyon?
(a) 1 billion years.
(b) 500 million years.
(c) 750 thousand years.
(d) 30 thousand years.
14. Part 1 is called "The Place." What is the place?
(a) The Painted Desert.
(b) The Grand Canyon.
(d) Forester Canyon.
15. What places were presumably named for a member of Lorenzo Sinyala's family?
(a) Sinyala Trail and Sinyala Plateau.
(b) Mount Sinyala and Sinyala Canyon.
(c) Lorenzo Lake and Sinyala Creek.
(d) Lorenzo Trail and Sinyala Ravine.
Short Answer Questions
1. What advice did Lorenzo Sinyala offer to Fletcher?
2. Why did Fletcher decide to see the Grand Canyon the first time?
3. What event sparked a desire for Fletcher to study the Grand Canyon and make a journey through it alone?
4. Why does Fletcher say it might have been good that he didn't start his journey right after he decided to take it?
5. How does Fletcher describe the state of the Grand Canyon at the time the book was written?
This section contains 612 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)