|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the area directly underneath the seventh layer of the Grand Canyon?
(a) The Angle Pass.
(c) The Grand Platform.
(d) The Erosion Surface.
2. What are hanging terraces?
(a) Walkways without guardrails
(b) Porches at the Grand Canyon National Park Office that hang over the canyon.
(c) Hanging gardens.
(d) Narrow sloping ledges.
3. What part of nature is not described in "Part 2, The Dream?"
(a) The beauty of the Grand Canyon.
(b) The immenseness and timelessness of the Rim.
(c) Various rocks.
(d) The peace of the ocean.
4. Why did Fletcher stay at the Grand Canyon Village for a while just before beginning his trip?
(a) He was trying to raise money.
(b) He was waiting for his friend.
(c) He liked the view.
(d) His heel was infected.
5. Where did Fletcher decide to spend the first week of his journey?
(a) A tourist area outside the Supai Village.
(b) A cave shelter.
(c) On the banks of the Colorado River.
(d) An abandoned cabin.
6. What is the current age estimate of the third layer of the Grand Canyon?
(a) 350 million years.
(b) 275 million years.
(c) 800 years.
(d) 500 thousand years.
7. Who says, "I do not think I ever really considered that things might go seriously wrong"?
(a) Colin Fletcher.
(b) William Wallace Bass.
(c) Lorenzo Sinyala.
(d) John Wesley Powell.
8. How long did it take to for the Grand Canyon to form?
(a) 200 years.
(b) A thousand years.
(c) 500 Billion years.
(d) Millions of years.
9. How many layers are included in the Rim?
10. What are layers 4 through 6 of the Grand Canyon called?
(a) The Rim.
(b) The Red Wall.
(d) The Great Unconformity.
11. What material makes up the seventh layer of the Grand Canyon?
(d) Tapeats sandstone.
12. Fletcher says while studying the Grand Canyon he realized the silence there was not a timeless one as he first thought. How does he define it instead?
(a) "A silence established by an abundance of rock."
(b) "Not a silence at all but the beautiful noise of nature."
(c) "A silence built of the seconds that had ticked away, eon after eon."
(d) "A silence of the future."
13. If he were to realize his dream, what would Fletcher accomplish?
(a) He would be the first person to make a solo trek through the Grand Canyon.
(b) He would swim across the river in record time.
(c) He would write a song about the place that would raise him to stardom.
(d) He would be the youngest person to make it to the top peak.
14. What material comprises the sixth layer of the Grand Canyon?
(b) Bright Angel Shale.
15. Who does Fletcher credit with making the first trip through the Grand Canyon?
(a) Lewis and Clark.
(b) John Wesley Powell.
(c) Hernando DeSoto.
(d) Lorenzo Sinyala.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Fletcher say he realized he might be doing when he hiked through the Grand Canyon?
2. What type of graphic is found at the beginning of "Part 3, The Journey?"
3. What did geologists say disrupted the Colorado River's flow and lead to the formation of the Grand Canyon?
4. What is the current age estimate of the seventh layer of the Grand Canyon?
5. What does Fletcher say he knew as soon as he saw the Grand Canyon?
This section contains 630 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)