|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long did Dr. Harvey Butchart study the Grand Canyon?
(a) 17 years.
(b) He never studied it.
(c) 25 years.
(d) 5 years.
2. What is the current age estimate of the eighth layer of the Grand Canyon.
(a) 5 million years.
(b) 750 million years.
(c) 800 thousand years.
(d) 1 to 2 billion years.
3. What is the area directly underneath the seventh layer of the Grand Canyon?
(a) The Angle Pass.
(b) The Erosion Surface.
(c) The Grand Platform.
4. What does the book say geologists believe formed the Grand Canyon?
(a) An earthquake.
(b) A volcanic eruption.
(c) A large sea that evaporated after a 200 year drought.
(d) The Colorado River.
5. What advice did Lorenzo Sinyala offer to Fletcher?
(a) Sound advice regarding the downward trail and the Supai village.
(b) Sound advice about walking long distances.
(c) Sound advice about marriage.
(d) Sound advice about escaping a bear attack.
6. What information was not sought by Fletcher before beginning his trip?
(a) Information about weather.
(b) Information about the existence of water sources.
(c) Information about trails.
(d) Information about the possibility of attacks by wild boar.
7. What are layers 4 through 6 of the Grand Canyon called?
(b) The Great Unconformity.
(c) The Red Wall.
(d) The Rim.
8. What were two things Fletcher mentions could have made parts of his path impassable?
(a) The desert and rattlesnake nests.
(b) The Colorado River and the hanging terraces.
(c) Wolves and bears.
(d) The Native American population and the mountain.
9. How long is the Grand Canyon?
(a) Between 50 and 100 miles long.
(b) More than two hundred miles long.
(c) Just under 30 miles long.
(d) One thousand miles long.
10. What is another name for the Erosion Surface?
(a) The Rim.
(b) The Great Unconformity.
(c) The Supai Formation.
(d) The Grand Façade.
11. What did the note found in Fletcher's care package say?
(a) Jim Bailey would arrive in Bass Camp when Fletcher was due to arrive.
(b) Fletcher's wife loved him.
(c) There would be no more care packages.
(d) Fletcher would need to remain in Bass Camp one week to wait for supplies.
12. What material makes up the first and youngest layer of the Grand Canyon?
(c) Volcanic ash.
13. Why was the place where Fletcher arrived in "Chapter 4, Challenge" such a relief to his spirit?
(a) It was a wide open area, a relief from the closed spaces of the side canyons.
(b) He found fresh water there.
(c) His arrival meant he was almost done with his trip.
(d) He found a better shelter for the night.
14. When Fletcher's idea was first fully formed, what doubts bugged him?
(a) How he would stay away from home so long.
(b) How he would ask his boss for time off.
(c) No real doubts.
(d) What he would do about his diabetes while he was on his journey.
15. According to the Fletcher, how did the changes in the earth that formed the Grand Canyon happen?
(a) Quickly after an eruption.
(b) Very slowly.
(c) Moderately after a cataclysmic event.
(d) Dramatically with a large explosion.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Fletcher decide to see the Grand Canyon the first time?
2. Approximately how thick is the third layer of the Grand Canyon?
3. Who is the "The Man" in The Man Who Walked Through Time?
4. What was the approximate depth of the Grand Canyon at the time the book was written?
5. What is the current age estimate of the second layer of the Grand Canyon?
This section contains 585 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)