|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long did Fletcher plan for his journey to take?
(a) 2 months.
(b) 1 week.
(c) 1 year.
(d) 6 months.
2. What was the approximate depth of the Grand Canyon at the time the book was written?
(a) 5 miles.
(b) 2000 feet.
(c) 1 mile.
(d) 500 feet.
3. What kind of condition was Fletcher in at the beginning of his trip?
(a) Just recovering from influenza.
(b) Suffering from rheumatoid arthritis.
(c) Great physical condition.
(d) Diabetic but with great stamina.
4. Approximately how thick is the third layer of the Grand Canyon?
(a) 20 feet.
(b) 1000 feet.
(c) 750 feet.
(d) 200 feet.
5. What was one of the first things Fletcher noticed as he began his journey?
(a) The sound of crickets and frogs.
(b) The vast silence and emptiness of the canyon.
(c) The darkness of the night.
(d) The moonlight reflecting on the rocks.
6. In "Chapter 2, Reconnaissance," what does Fletcher say he realized during his trip?
(a) The insignificance of man in comparison to the Grand Canyon and nature.
(b) He would be financially ruined when he returned home.
(c) He had a desire to become an archeologist.
(d) This would be the last trip he was physically able to make.
7. What is another name for the Erosion Surface?
(a) The Grand Façade.
(b) The Great Unconformity.
(c) The Supai Formation.
(d) The Rim.
8. What river still runs at the bottom of the Grand Canyon?
(a) The Gila River.
(b) The Rio Grande.
(c) The Colorado River.
(d) The Mississippi River.
9. How many layers of the Grand Canyon are shown in the schematic in "Part 3, The Journey?"
10. How many layers are included in the Rim?
11. Where did Fletcher arrive in "Chapter 4, Challenge" that was such a relief to him?
(a) The Supai village.
(b) The Esplanade.
(c) The Rim.
(d) Hualpai Hilltop.
12. What was Fletcher's reaction upon his first trip to the Rim?
(a) Anger at his friend for bringing him.
(b) Laughter at all the funny people there.
(c) Shock at the majesty of what he saw.
(d) Disgust at the destruction around him.
13. What is the current age estimate of the sixth layer of the Grand Canyon?
(a) 475 million years.
(b) 500 thousand years.
(c) 20 thousand years.
(d) 800 million years.
14. What lifestyle does Fletcher describe in a footnote in "Part 2, The Dream?"
(a) A compulsive walker.
(b) A compulsive gambler.
(c) A famous millionaire.
(d) An accomplished musician.
15. Who is the "The Man" in The Man Who Walked Through Time?
(a) William Wallace Bass.
(b) John Wesley Powell.
(c) Lorenzo Sinyala.
(d) Colin Fletcher.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Fletcher's idea was first fully formed, what doubts bugged him?
2. What did Fletcher say he saw even before he came close to the Grand Canyon?
3. What cheerful tribal tourist manager did Fletcher meet in "Chapter 3, Interlude?"
4. What questions does Fletcher say he hoped he would find some solutions for as he traveled the Grand Canyon?
5. How does Fletcher describe the Grand Canyon?
This section contains 561 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)