|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was one of the first things Fletcher noticed as he began his journey?
(a) The moonlight reflecting on the rocks.
(b) The darkness of the night.
(c) The vast silence and emptiness of the canyon.
(d) The sound of crickets and frogs.
2. Whom does Fletcher credit with giving him the most knowledge of the Grand Canyon?
(a) John Wesley Powell.
(b) The park ranger at the tourist office.
(c) Dr. Harvey Butchart.
(d) Neil Ukwalla.
3. What is the current age estimate of the sixth layer of the Grand Canyon?
(a) 500 thousand years.
(b) 20 thousand years.
(c) 475 million years.
(d) 800 million years.
4. Approximately how thick is the third layer of the Grand Canyon?
(a) 750 feet.
(b) 1000 feet.
(c) 20 feet.
(d) 200 feet.
5. How does Fletcher describe the Grand Canyon?
(a) "An upside-down mountain wonder."
(b) "A gigantic hole in the desert plateau."
(c) "Huge stacks of multicolored rock."
(d) "A chasm . . . like a gigantic and impossible desert crevasse."
6. What does Fletcher say he realized he might be doing when he hiked through the Grand Canyon?
(a) He would be following in the footsteps of hundreds of great hikers.
(b) He would come as close to traveling back through time as possible.
(c) He would be making his last hiking trip.
(d) He would be fulfilling a dream from his early childhood.
7. How does "Part 1, The Place" begin?
(a) With information on traveling through Arizona.
(b) With advice on hiking.
(c) With facts about tourist destinations in the United States.
(d) With facts about the Grand Canyon.
8. About what did Fletcher begin to worry in "Chapter 3, Interlude?"
(a) The lack of modern technology in the Supai village.
(b) His injured ankle.
(c) The endangered animals living in the canyon.
(d) Bad weather.
9. What information was not sought by Fletcher before beginning his trip?
(a) Information about the existence of water sources.
(b) Information about trails.
(c) Information about weather.
(d) Information about the possibility of attacks by wild boar.
10. With what event does "Chapter 5, Transition" begin?
(a) A Cessna flying away.
(b) Wolves attacking the camp.
(c) Fletcher falling into a ravine.
(d) Fletcher running out of water.
11. What were two things Fletcher mentions could have made parts of his path impassable?
(a) The Colorado River and the hanging terraces.
(b) The desert and rattlesnake nests.
(c) Wolves and bears.
(d) The Native American population and the mountain.
12. What were some of the necessary items Fletcher took with him on his journey?
(a) Sleeping bag, dehydrated rations, and an air mattress.
(b) A life jacket, fishing pole, and a bucket of worms.
(c) A shotgun, a device to purify water, and snake repellant.
(d) A portable raft, cell phone, and mace.
13. What is the area directly underneath the seventh layer of the Grand Canyon?
(b) The Grand Platform.
(c) The Erosion Surface.
(d) The Angle Pass.
14. Approximately how thick is the first layer of the Grand Canyon?
(a) 400 feet.
(b) 1000 feet.
(c) 5 feet.
(d) 20 feet.
15. How did Fletcher say the big moment happened when he knew he would take the journey through the Grand Canyon?
(a) There was no big moment.
Short Answer Questions
1. What material makes up the second layer of the Grand Canyon?
2. What did the note found in Fletcher's care package say?
3. What are layers 4 through 6 of the Grand Canyon called?
4. What material makes up the first and youngest layer of the Grand Canyon?
5. What places were presumably named for a member of Lorenzo Sinyala's family?
This section contains 599 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)