|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What were two things Fletcher mentions could have made parts of his path impassable?
(a) The desert and rattlesnake nests.
(b) The Native American population and the mountain.
(c) Wolves and bears.
(d) The Colorado River and the hanging terraces.
2. What is the current age estimate of the fourth layer of the Grand Canyon?
(a) 500 million years.
(b) 100 million years.
(c) 50 million years.
(d) 300 million years.
3. About how long did Fletcher stay at the Grand Canyon Village?
(a) 1 month.
(b) 2 weeks.
(c) 1 year.
(d) 5 days.
4. What did Fletcher say he saw even before he came close to the Grand Canyon?
(c) Jagged cliffs.
5. How does "Part 1, The Place" begin?
(a) With advice on hiking.
(b) With facts about the Grand Canyon.
(c) With facts about tourist destinations in the United States.
(d) With information on traveling through Arizona.
6. What is the current age estimate of the sixth layer of the Grand Canyon?
(a) 800 million years.
(b) 20 thousand years.
(c) 500 thousand years.
(d) 475 million years.
7. When did Fletcher's journey through the Grand Canyon begin?
(a) At dusk in early February.
(b) At noon in early October.
(c) At sunset in mid-April.
(d) At daybreak in mid-June.
8. Why was the place where Fletcher arrived in "Chapter 4, Challenge" such a relief to his spirit?
(a) His arrival meant he was almost done with his trip.
(b) It was a wide open area, a relief from the closed spaces of the side canyons.
(c) He found a better shelter for the night.
(d) He found fresh water there.
9. Where was Lorenzo Sinyala born?
(a) San Diego, California.
(b) A Supai village.
(c) San Antonio, Texas.
(d) Flagstaff, Arizona.
10. What was Fletcher's only concern about the proposed trip?
(a) That his family would not support him.
(b) That he would be too lonely.
(c) That it would be physically impossible.
(d) That he would drown.
11. What did the Fletcher have to change in "Chapter 2, Reconnaissance?"
(a) His mindset from working every day to living more simply.
(b) His mode of transportation from hiking to riding a mule.
(c) His eating habits to that of a vegetarian.
(d) His expectations for a walking partner.
12. Approximately how thick is the fifth layer of the Grand Canyon?
(a) 200 feet.
(b) 1000 feet.
(c) 50 feet.
(d) 500 feet.
13. What is the area directly above the seventh layer of the Grand Canyon called?
(a) The Red Wall.
(b) The Tonto Platform.
(c) The Grand Trench.
(d) The Rim.
14. Fletcher says while studying the Grand Canyon he realized the silence there was not a timeless one as he first thought. How does he define it instead?
(a) "Not a silence at all but the beautiful noise of nature."
(b) "A silence built of the seconds that had ticked away, eon after eon."
(c) "A silence of the future."
(d) "A silence established by an abundance of rock."
15. What river still runs at the bottom of the Grand Canyon?
(a) The Colorado River.
(b) The Gila River.
(c) The Mississippi River.
(d) The Rio Grande.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Fletcher describe the Grand Canyon?
2. What substance comprises the fourth layer of the Grand Canyon?
3. What did Fletcher pass and nearly miss altogether in "Chapter 4, Challenge?"
4. What information was not sought by Fletcher before beginning his trip?
5. In "Chapter 2, Reconnaissance," what does Fletcher say he realized during his trip?
This section contains 613 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)