|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. If he were to realize his dream, what would Fletcher accomplish?
(a) He would be the youngest person to make it to the top peak.
(b) He would swim across the river in record time.
(c) He would write a song about the place that would raise him to stardom.
(d) He would be the first person to make a solo trek through the Grand Canyon.
2. Approximately how thick is the first layer of the Grand Canyon?
(a) 1000 feet.
(b) 5 feet.
(c) 20 feet.
(d) 400 feet.
3. What are hanging terraces?
(a) Hanging gardens.
(b) Narrow sloping ledges.
(c) Walkways without guardrails
(d) Porches at the Grand Canyon National Park Office that hang over the canyon.
4. What does Fletcher say he knew as soon as he saw the Grand Canyon?
(a) This place would make him famous.
(b) He would soon be hangliding over the Canyon.
(c) His fear of heights was coming back.
(d) The way he saw things would change.
5. Who drove Fletcher to the parking area at the edge of the Rim?
(a) Lorenzo Sinyala.
(b) John Wesley Powell.
(c) Colin Fletcher.
(d) His father.
6. Fletcher says while studying the Grand Canyon he realized the silence there was not a timeless one as he first thought. How does he define it instead?
(a) "Not a silence at all but the beautiful noise of nature."
(b) "A silence built of the seconds that had ticked away, eon after eon."
(c) "A silence established by an abundance of rock."
(d) "A silence of the future."
7. When did Fletcher's journey through the Grand Canyon begin?
(a) At noon in early October.
(b) At dusk in early February.
(c) At daybreak in mid-June.
(d) At sunset in mid-April.
8. What did the note found in Fletcher's care package say?
(a) Fletcher would need to remain in Bass Camp one week to wait for supplies.
(b) Fletcher's wife loved him.
(c) Jim Bailey would arrive in Bass Camp when Fletcher was due to arrive.
(d) There would be no more care packages.
9. How long after he saw the Grand Canyon for the first time did Fletcher begin his trip?
(a) Almost 2 months.
(b) About a year.
(c) Exactly 2 years.
(d) About 6 months.
10. What is the current age estimate of the seventh layer of the Grand Canyon?
(a) 30 thousand years.
(b) 500 million years.
(c) 750 thousand years.
(d) 1 billion years.
11. What did the Fletcher have to change in "Chapter 2, Reconnaissance?"
(a) His mindset from working every day to living more simply.
(b) His mode of transportation from hiking to riding a mule.
(c) His eating habits to that of a vegetarian.
(d) His expectations for a walking partner.
12. With what event does "Chapter 5, Transition" begin?
(a) Fletcher running out of water.
(b) A Cessna flying away.
(c) Fletcher falling into a ravine.
(d) Wolves attacking the camp.
13. What is the name of the government agency established to protect the rights of Native Americans?
(a) Bureau of Indian Affairs.
(b) Native American Commission.
(c) Commission of Indian Rights.
(d) Native American Administration.
14. When did Fletcher's dream become a reality?
(c) Early December.
(d) Late February.
15. What material comprises the sixth layer of the Grand Canyon?
(c) Bright Angel Shale.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did geologists say disrupted the Colorado River's flow and lead to the formation of the Grand Canyon?
2. What was one of the first things Fletcher noticed as he began his journey?
3. The Grand Canyon is found in the northern part of what state?
4. What does the book say geologists believe formed the Grand Canyon?
5. What did Fletcher say he saw even before he came close to the Grand Canyon?
This section contains 614 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)