|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the current age estimate of the eighth layer of the Grand Canyon.
(a) 1 to 2 billion years.
(b) 5 million years.
(c) 800 thousand years.
(d) 750 million years.
2. Whom does Fletcher describe at the beginning of "Chapter 3, Interlude?"
(a) The Havasupai Indians.
(b) His family.
(c) The tourists.
(d) The park rangers.
3. What material makes up the first and youngest layer of the Grand Canyon?
(a) Volcanic ash.
4. What does Fletcher say he knew as soon as he saw the Grand Canyon?
(a) This place would make him famous.
(b) His fear of heights was coming back.
(c) He would soon be hangliding over the Canyon.
(d) The way he saw things would change.
5. What did Fletcher find difficult, if not impossible, to mentally grasp and understand in "Chapter 1, Entrance?"
(a) The Supai customs.
(b) The immenseness of his surroundings and the age of the Grand Canyon.
(c) The number of animals in the area.
(d) His responsibility to the wildlife of the area.
6. How long is the Grand Canyon?
(a) More than two hundred miles long.
(b) One thousand miles long.
(c) Between 50 and 100 miles long.
(d) Just under 30 miles long.
7. Why did Fletcher decide to see the Grand Canyon the first time?
(a) He didn't decide. It was a surprise trip from his girlfriend.
(b) He felt it was an important thing for a tourist in the area to see.
(c) He wanted to paint a picture of it.
(d) He took a dare.
8. What did the note found in Fletcher's care package say?
(a) Fletcher would need to remain in Bass Camp one week to wait for supplies.
(b) Jim Bailey would arrive in Bass Camp when Fletcher was due to arrive.
(c) Fletcher's wife loved him.
(d) There would be no more care packages.
9. What is the current age estimate of the third layer of the Grand Canyon?
(a) 500 thousand years.
(b) 350 million years.
(c) 800 years.
(d) 275 million years.
10. How does Fletcher describe the Grand Canyon?
(a) "A chasm . . . like a gigantic and impossible desert crevasse."
(b) "Huge stacks of multicolored rock."
(c) "A gigantic hole in the desert plateau."
(d) "An upside-down mountain wonder."
11. When did Fletcher's journey through the Grand Canyon begin?
(a) At dusk in early February.
(b) At sunset in mid-April.
(c) At noon in early October.
(d) At daybreak in mid-June.
12. Why did Fletcher stay at the Grand Canyon Village for a while just before beginning his trip?
(a) His heel was infected.
(b) He was trying to raise money.
(c) He liked the view.
(d) He was waiting for his friend.
13. Approximately how thick is the first layer of the Grand Canyon?
(a) 5 feet.
(b) 400 feet.
(c) 20 feet.
(d) 1000 feet.
14. Who says, "I do not think I ever really considered that things might go seriously wrong"?
(a) John Wesley Powell.
(b) William Wallace Bass.
(c) Lorenzo Sinyala.
(d) Colin Fletcher.
15. Whom does Fletcher credit with giving him the most knowledge of the Grand Canyon?
(a) Neil Ukwalla.
(b) The park ranger at the tourist office.
(c) John Wesley Powell.
(d) Dr. Harvey Butchart.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Fletcher pass and nearly miss altogether in "Chapter 4, Challenge?"
2. How long after he saw the Grand Canyon for the first time did Fletcher begin his trip?
3. How did Fletcher redefine the path of his trip?
4. How did Fletcher say the big moment happened when he knew he would take the journey through the Grand Canyon?
5. Where did Fletcher decide to spend the first week of his journey?
This section contains 636 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)