|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. With what event does "Chapter 5, Transition" begin?
(a) Fletcher falling into a ravine.
(b) Wolves attacking the camp.
(c) Fletcher running out of water.
(d) A Cessna flying away.
2. Approximately how thick is the first layer of the Grand Canyon?
(a) 5 feet.
(b) 20 feet.
(c) 400 feet.
(d) 1000 feet.
3. What does Fletcher say was a sacrilege when it interrupted the silence of the Grand Canyon?
(a) The screech of an owl.
(b) The squawk of a blue jay.
(c) The bray of a donkey.
(d) The honk of a horn.
4. What does Fletcher say he realized he might be doing when he hiked through the Grand Canyon?
(a) He would come as close to traveling back through time as possible.
(b) He would be following in the footsteps of hundreds of great hikers.
(c) He would be making his last hiking trip.
(d) He would be fulfilling a dream from his early childhood.
5. What did geologists say disrupted the Colorado River's flow and lead to the formation of the Grand Canyon?
(a) A volcano.
(b) A comet.
(c) A land slide.
(d) An upheaval of earth.
6. The Grand Canyon is found in the northern part of what state?
(a) New Mexico.
7. Whom does Fletcher credit with giving him the most knowledge of the Grand Canyon?
(a) The park ranger at the tourist office.
(b) Dr. Harvey Butchart.
(c) Neil Ukwalla.
(d) John Wesley Powell.
8. According to Fletcher, what would the rest of nature around the Grand Canyon do?
(a) Adapt to the continuing changes.
(b) Become tame and friendly to survive growing tourism.
(c) Go through a period of reduction to make room for more species.
(d) Stay exactly the same.
9. About what did Fletcher begin to worry in "Chapter 3, Interlude?"
(a) The endangered animals living in the canyon.
(b) The lack of modern technology in the Supai village.
(c) His injured ankle.
(d) Bad weather.
10. When did Fletcher's journey through the Grand Canyon begin?
(a) At sunset in mid-April.
(b) At dusk in early February.
(c) At daybreak in mid-June.
(d) At noon in early October.
11. Part 1 is called "The Place." What is the place?
(b) Forester Canyon.
(c) The Painted Desert.
(d) The Grand Canyon.
12. What did Fletcher say he saw even before he came close to the Grand Canyon?
(b) Jagged cliffs.
13. Where did Fletcher's journey begin?
(a) Hualpai Hilltop.
(b) The Alamo.
(c) The Grand Ravine.
(d) The Rio Grande.
14. What material makes up the second layer of the Grand Canyon?
(c) Volcanic ash.
15. What did the note found in Fletcher's care package say?
(a) Jim Bailey would arrive in Bass Camp when Fletcher was due to arrive.
(b) Fletcher would need to remain in Bass Camp one week to wait for supplies.
(c) There would be no more care packages.
(d) Fletcher's wife loved him.
Short Answer Questions
1. Approximately how thick is the fifth layer of the Grand Canyon?
2. About how long did Fletcher stay at the Grand Canyon Village?
3. When Fletcher's idea was first fully formed, what doubts bugged him?
4. What term does the author use for what comprises the third layer of the Grand Canyon?
5. How many layers are included in the Rim?
This section contains 540 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)