|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many layers are included in the Rim?
2. What information was not sought by Fletcher before beginning his trip?
(a) Information about the existence of water sources.
(b) Information about weather.
(c) Information about the possibility of attacks by wild boar.
(d) Information about trails.
3. What did Fletcher find difficult, if not impossible, to mentally grasp and understand in "Chapter 1, Entrance?"
(a) The number of animals in the area.
(b) The immenseness of his surroundings and the age of the Grand Canyon.
(c) His responsibility to the wildlife of the area.
(d) The Supai customs.
4. Approximately how thick is the third layer of the Grand Canyon?
(a) 1000 feet.
(b) 750 feet.
(c) 200 feet.
(d) 20 feet.
5. Who drove Fletcher to the parking area at the edge of the Rim?
(a) His father.
(b) Lorenzo Sinyala.
(c) John Wesley Powell.
(d) Colin Fletcher.
6. What is the name of the government agency established to protect the rights of Native Americans?
(a) Native American Commission.
(b) Native American Administration.
(c) Commission of Indian Rights.
(d) Bureau of Indian Affairs.
7. What did the Fletcher have to change in "Chapter 2, Reconnaissance?"
(a) His eating habits to that of a vegetarian.
(b) His expectations for a walking partner.
(c) His mindset from working every day to living more simply.
(d) His mode of transportation from hiking to riding a mule.
8. What type of graphic is found at the beginning of "Part 3, The Journey?"
(a) A chart of wild life in the desert.
(b) A bar graph showing the change in tourism at the Grand Canyon.
(c) A chart of vegetation found in the Grand Canyon.
(d) A map showing a simplified profile of the geology of the Grand Canyon.
9. How long did Dr. Harvey Butchart study the Grand Canyon?
(a) 17 years.
(b) 25 years.
(c) He never studied it.
(d) 5 years.
10. What part of nature is not described in "Part 2, The Dream?"
(a) Various rocks.
(b) The beauty of the Grand Canyon.
(c) The peace of the ocean.
(d) The immenseness and timelessness of the Rim.
11. What are layers 4 through 6 of the Grand Canyon called?
(b) The Red Wall.
(c) The Great Unconformity.
(d) The Rim.
12. What urge came to Fletcher's mind as he witnessed the different sights at the Rim?
(a) To leave and never come back.
(b) To hike the canyon.
(c) To climb the mountain.
(d) To swim across the river.
13. Approximately how thick is the fifth layer of the Grand Canyon?
(a) 500 feet.
(b) 50 feet.
(c) 1000 feet.
(d) 200 feet.
14. Why might the Colorado River cause problems for Fletcher?
(a) It was impassable in some parts.
(b) He didn't have a boat.
(c) He was highly allergic to a plant that grew along the banks of the river.
(d) The animals along the river were dangerous.
15. What kind of condition was Fletcher in at the beginning of his trip?
(a) Just recovering from influenza.
(b) Diabetic but with great stamina.
(c) Great physical condition.
(d) Suffering from rheumatoid arthritis.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is another name for the Erosion Surface?
2. What questions does Fletcher say he hoped he would find some solutions for as he traveled the Grand Canyon?
3. In "Chapter 2, Reconnaissance," what does Fletcher say he realized during his trip?
4. What material makes up the first and youngest layer of the Grand Canyon?
5. What lifestyle does Fletcher describe in a footnote in "Part 2, The Dream?"
This section contains 631 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)