|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Fletcher redefine the path of his trip?
(a) From "through the Canyon" to "to the Canyon floor and back."
(b) From "one end of the Grand Canyon to the other" to "one end of the Grand Canyon National Park to the other."
(c) From "through the Canyon" to "around the Rim."
(d) From "around the Rim" to "along the Colorado River."
2. What were some of the necessary items Fletcher took with him on his journey?
(a) A life jacket, fishing pole, and a bucket of worms.
(b) A shotgun, a device to purify water, and snake repellant.
(c) Sleeping bag, dehydrated rations, and an air mattress.
(d) A portable raft, cell phone, and mace.
3. In "Chapter 4, Challenge," Fletcher describes the Esplanade as a maze. What constant choice does he say a traveler had to make all along the Esplanade?
(a) Whether to follow the wildlife trail or forge his own.
(b) Whether to go across the rock terraces or across the talus.
(c) Whether to go straight across the river or travel downstream to a narrower spot.
(d) How long to stay in the area.
4. What did Fletcher say he saw even before he came close to the Grand Canyon?
(c) Jagged cliffs.
5. What does the book say geologists believe formed the Grand Canyon?
(a) A volcanic eruption.
(b) An earthquake.
(c) A large sea that evaporated after a 200 year drought.
(d) The Colorado River.
6. What is the current age estimate of the fourth layer of the Grand Canyon?
(a) 100 million years.
(b) 300 million years.
(c) 500 million years.
(d) 50 million years.
7. How long did it take to for the Grand Canyon to form?
(a) Millions of years.
(b) 500 Billion years.
(c) 200 years.
(d) A thousand years.
8. How long is the Grand Canyon?
(a) Between 50 and 100 miles long.
(b) More than two hundred miles long.
(c) One thousand miles long.
(d) Just under 30 miles long.
9. What type of graphic is found at the beginning of "Part 3, The Journey?"
(a) A map showing a simplified profile of the geology of the Grand Canyon.
(b) A bar graph showing the change in tourism at the Grand Canyon.
(c) A chart of vegetation found in the Grand Canyon.
(d) A chart of wild life in the desert.
10. When did Fletcher's journey through the Grand Canyon begin?
(a) At daybreak in mid-June.
(b) At dusk in early February.
(c) At noon in early October.
(d) At sunset in mid-April.
11. What advice did Lorenzo Sinyala offer to Fletcher?
(a) Sound advice about walking long distances.
(b) Sound advice regarding the downward trail and the Supai village.
(c) Sound advice about escaping a bear attack.
(d) Sound advice about marriage.
12. How long did Dr. Harvey Butchart study the Grand Canyon?
(a) 5 years.
(b) 25 years.
(c) 17 years.
(d) He never studied it.
13. What are some things Fletcher describes in "Part 2, The Dream?"
(a) The beauty of the rocks and colors of the Grand Canyon.
(b) The tourists and park personnel.
(c) The deer and chipmunks on the Rim.
(d) His friend's clothes and car.
14. What was Fletcher's reaction upon his first trip to the Rim?
(a) Disgust at the destruction around him.
(b) Shock at the majesty of what he saw.
(c) Laughter at all the funny people there.
(d) Anger at his friend for bringing him.
15. About how long did Fletcher stay at the Grand Canyon Village?
(a) 1 month.
(b) 2 weeks.
(c) 5 days.
(d) 1 year.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was one of the first things Fletcher noticed as he began his journey?
2. What does Fletcher say was a sacrilege when it interrupted the silence of the Grand Canyon?
3. Where did Fletcher's journey begin?
4. What does Fletcher say he realized he might be doing when he hiked through the Grand Canyon?
5. When Fletcher's idea was first fully formed, what doubts bugged him?
This section contains 711 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)