|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What were some of the necessary items Fletcher took with him on his journey?
(a) A life jacket, fishing pole, and a bucket of worms.
(b) Sleeping bag, dehydrated rations, and an air mattress.
(c) A portable raft, cell phone, and mace.
(d) A shotgun, a device to purify water, and snake repellant.
2. What is the area directly underneath the seventh layer of the Grand Canyon?
(a) The Angle Pass.
(b) The Erosion Surface.
(c) The Grand Platform.
3. What event sparked a desire for Fletcher to study the Grand Canyon and make a journey through it alone?
(a) A visit from and American Indian in a dream.
(b) The death of a close friend.
(c) A television special highlighting the place.
(d) An impromptu side trip made to the Grand Canyon during a cross country journey with a friend.
4. Why did Fletcher stay at the Grand Canyon Village for a while just before beginning his trip?
(a) He was trying to raise money.
(b) He liked the view.
(c) He was waiting for his friend.
(d) His heel was infected.
5. What does the book say geologists believe formed the Grand Canyon?
(a) A large sea that evaporated after a 200 year drought.
(b) An earthquake.
(c) A volcanic eruption.
(d) The Colorado River.
6. Who drove Fletcher to the parking area at the edge of the Rim?
(a) His father.
(b) Colin Fletcher.
(c) Lorenzo Sinyala.
(d) John Wesley Powell.
7. What is the current age estimate of the fourth layer of the Grand Canyon?
(a) 50 million years.
(b) 100 million years.
(c) 300 million years.
(d) 500 million years.
8. What did the note found in Fletcher's care package say?
(a) Jim Bailey would arrive in Bass Camp when Fletcher was due to arrive.
(b) Fletcher's wife loved him.
(c) Fletcher would need to remain in Bass Camp one week to wait for supplies.
(d) There would be no more care packages.
9. What is considered the top layer of the Grand Canyon?
(a) The Erosion Surface.
(b) The top of the Rim.
(c) The Inner Gorge.
(d) The Tonto Platform.
10. What did Fletcher say he saw even before he came close to the Grand Canyon?
(c) Jagged cliffs.
11. What did the Fletcher have to change in "Chapter 2, Reconnaissance?"
(a) His mindset from working every day to living more simply.
(b) His expectations for a walking partner.
(c) His mode of transportation from hiking to riding a mule.
(d) His eating habits to that of a vegetarian.
12. If he were to realize his dream, what would Fletcher accomplish?
(a) He would swim across the river in record time.
(b) He would be the first person to make a solo trek through the Grand Canyon.
(c) He would be the youngest person to make it to the top peak.
(d) He would write a song about the place that would raise him to stardom.
13. Fletcher says while studying the Grand Canyon he realized the silence there was not a timeless one as he first thought. How does he define it instead?
(a) "A silence built of the seconds that had ticked away, eon after eon."
(b) "A silence established by an abundance of rock."
(c) "A silence of the future."
(d) "Not a silence at all but the beautiful noise of nature."
14. How long did Dr. Harvey Butchart study the Grand Canyon?
(a) 17 years.
(b) 5 years.
(c) 25 years.
(d) He never studied it.
15. What material makes up the seventh layer of the Grand Canyon?
(a) Tapeats sandstone.
Short Answer Questions
1. Approximately how thick is the first layer of the Grand Canyon?
2. What is the current age estimate of the sixth layer of the Grand Canyon?
3. What were two things Fletcher mentions could have made parts of his path impassable?
4. What urge came to Fletcher's mind as he witnessed the different sights at the Rim?
5. Why might the Colorado River cause problems for Fletcher?
This section contains 682 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)