|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What information was not sought by Fletcher before beginning his trip?
(a) Information about the possibility of attacks by wild boar.
(b) Information about trails.
(c) Information about weather.
(d) Information about the existence of water sources.
2. Whom does Fletcher describe at the beginning of "Chapter 3, Interlude?"
(a) The Havasupai Indians.
(b) The park rangers.
(c) His family.
(d) The tourists.
3. What was one of the first things Fletcher noticed as he began his journey?
(a) The vast silence and emptiness of the canyon.
(b) The darkness of the night.
(c) The moonlight reflecting on the rocks.
(d) The sound of crickets and frogs.
4. What did geologists say disrupted the Colorado River's flow and lead to the formation of the Grand Canyon?
(a) A land slide.
(b) A volcano.
(c) A comet.
(d) An upheaval of earth.
5. What urge came to Fletcher's mind as he witnessed the different sights at the Rim?
(a) To swim across the river.
(b) To leave and never come back.
(c) To hike the canyon.
(d) To climb the mountain.
6. Why did Fletcher rule out following a route along the Colorado River?
(a) He was afraid of the roaring water.
(b) It crossed into an area sacred to the Havasupai Indians.
(c) It had many deep gorges and impassable areas.
(d) It changed to an underground stream in places and was hard to follow.
7. Part 1 is called "The Place." What is the place?
(b) Forester Canyon.
(c) The Painted Desert.
(d) The Grand Canyon.
8. What did the Fletcher have to change in "Chapter 2, Reconnaissance?"
(a) His expectations for a walking partner.
(b) His eating habits to that of a vegetarian.
(c) His mindset from working every day to living more simply.
(d) His mode of transportation from hiking to riding a mule.
9. What did Fletcher pass and nearly miss altogether in "Chapter 4, Challenge?"
(a) The first air drop of supplies.
(b) The gap in the pass.
(c) The trail through the ravine.
(d) The only fresh water for miles.
10. What was Fletcher's only concern about the proposed trip?
(a) That it would be physically impossible.
(b) That his family would not support him.
(c) That he would drown.
(d) That he would be too lonely.
11. Why did Fletcher decide to see the Grand Canyon the first time?
(a) He didn't decide. It was a surprise trip from his girlfriend.
(b) He felt it was an important thing for a tourist in the area to see.
(c) He took a dare.
(d) He wanted to paint a picture of it.
12. The Grand Canyon is found in the northern part of what state?
(d) New Mexico.
13. What is the current age estimate of the eighth layer of the Grand Canyon.
(a) 800 thousand years.
(b) 1 to 2 billion years.
(c) 5 million years.
(d) 750 million years.
14. What does the book say geologists believe formed the Grand Canyon?
(a) The Colorado River.
(b) A large sea that evaporated after a 200 year drought.
(c) An earthquake.
(d) A volcanic eruption.
15. What is the current age estimate of the third layer of the Grand Canyon?
(a) 500 thousand years.
(b) 275 million years.
(c) 350 million years.
(d) 800 years.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was Lorenzo Sinyala born?
2. About how long did Fletcher stay at the Grand Canyon Village?
3. According to Fletcher, what would the rest of nature around the Grand Canyon do?
4. What are hanging terraces?
5. In "Chapter 2, Reconnaissance," what does Fletcher say he realized during his trip?
This section contains 623 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)