|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the current age estimate of the third layer of the Grand Canyon?
(a) 350 million years.
(b) 500 thousand years.
(c) 800 years.
(d) 275 million years.
2. What did the note found in Fletcher's care package say?
(a) Fletcher would need to remain in Bass Camp one week to wait for supplies.
(b) Fletcher's wife loved him.
(c) There would be no more care packages.
(d) Jim Bailey would arrive in Bass Camp when Fletcher was due to arrive.
3. What material makes up the first and youngest layer of the Grand Canyon?
(a) Volcanic ash.
4. Part 1 is called "The Place." What is the place?
(a) Forester Canyon.
(b) The Grand Canyon.
(d) The Painted Desert.
5. Approximately how thick is the first layer of the Grand Canyon?
(a) 20 feet.
(b) 400 feet.
(c) 1000 feet.
(d) 5 feet.
6. How does Fletcher describe the Grand Canyon?
(a) "A chasm . . . like a gigantic and impossible desert crevasse."
(b) "A gigantic hole in the desert plateau."
(c) "An upside-down mountain wonder."
(d) "Huge stacks of multicolored rock."
7. What is the current age estimate of the seventh layer of the Grand Canyon?
(a) 750 thousand years.
(b) 1 billion years.
(c) 500 million years.
(d) 30 thousand years.
8. What is considered the top layer of the Grand Canyon?
(a) The Inner Gorge.
(b) The Tonto Platform.
(c) The top of the Rim.
(d) The Erosion Surface.
9. What is the current age estimate of the second layer of the Grand Canyon?
(a) 500 million years.
(b) 250 million years.
(c) 10 million years.
(d) 50 thousand years.
10. What is the area directly underneath the seventh layer of the Grand Canyon?
(a) The Angle Pass.
(b) The Grand Platform.
(c) The Erosion Surface.
11. What did "Part II, The Dream" describe?
(a) A childhood dream of Fletcher's in which he visited an American Indian village.
(b) A nightmare Fletcher had in which he fell from a high cliff.
(c) Fletcher's dream to become a famous explorer.
(d) Fletcher's pans to study the Grand Canyon and travel it alone.
12. What lifestyle does Fletcher describe in a footnote in "Part 2, The Dream?"
(a) A famous millionaire.
(b) An accomplished musician.
(c) A compulsive gambler.
(d) A compulsive walker.
13. What were some of the plans for his trip that Fletcher details in "Part 2, The Dream?"
(a) Plans to arrange for food and water during his trip.
(b) Plans to arrange a series of interviews with newspapers about his trip.
(c) Plans to arrange for a replacement for him at work.
(d) Plans for a mule to help him navigate the Grand Canyon.
14. Approximately how thick is the fifth layer of the Grand Canyon?
(a) 50 feet.
(b) 1000 feet.
(c) 500 feet.
(d) 200 feet.
15. What were two things Fletcher mentions could have made parts of his path impassable?
(a) The Native American population and the mountain.
(b) Wolves and bears.
(c) The desert and rattlesnake nests.
(d) The Colorado River and the hanging terraces.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are hanging terraces?
2. How did Fletcher redefine the path of his trip?
3. What substance comprises the fourth layer of the Grand Canyon?
4. Fletcher says while studying the Grand Canyon he realized the silence there was not a timeless one as he first thought. How does he define it instead?
5. About how long did Fletcher stay at the Grand Canyon Village?
This section contains 605 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)