|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When did Fletcher's dream become a reality?
(b) Early December.
(d) Late February.
2. What is the area directly above the seventh layer of the Grand Canyon called?
(a) The Grand Trench.
(b) The Red Wall.
(c) The Rim.
(d) The Tonto Platform.
3. Who does Fletcher credit with making the first trip through the Grand Canyon?
(a) Lorenzo Sinyala.
(b) Hernando DeSoto.
(c) Lewis and Clark.
(d) John Wesley Powell.
4. What did "Part II, The Dream" describe?
(a) Fletcher's dream to become a famous explorer.
(b) A nightmare Fletcher had in which he fell from a high cliff.
(c) A childhood dream of Fletcher's in which he visited an American Indian village.
(d) Fletcher's pans to study the Grand Canyon and travel it alone.
5. What places were presumably named for a member of Lorenzo Sinyala's family?
(a) Mount Sinyala and Sinyala Canyon.
(b) Lorenzo Trail and Sinyala Ravine.
(c) Lorenzo Lake and Sinyala Creek.
(d) Sinyala Trail and Sinyala Plateau.
6. What did the note found in Fletcher's care package say?
(a) There would be no more care packages.
(b) Jim Bailey would arrive in Bass Camp when Fletcher was due to arrive.
(c) Fletcher would need to remain in Bass Camp one week to wait for supplies.
(d) Fletcher's wife loved him.
7. What information was not sought by Fletcher before beginning his trip?
(a) Information about trails.
(b) Information about weather.
(c) Information about the existence of water sources.
(d) Information about the possibility of attacks by wild boar.
8. What is considered the top layer of the Grand Canyon?
(a) The Tonto Platform.
(b) The Erosion Surface.
(c) The top of the Rim.
(d) The Inner Gorge.
9. What kind of condition was Fletcher in at the beginning of his trip?
(a) Just recovering from influenza.
(b) Great physical condition.
(c) Suffering from rheumatoid arthritis.
(d) Diabetic but with great stamina.
10. What were two things Fletcher mentions could have made parts of his path impassable?
(a) Wolves and bears.
(b) The Colorado River and the hanging terraces.
(c) The Native American population and the mountain.
(d) The desert and rattlesnake nests.
11. What did Fletcher say he saw even before he came close to the Grand Canyon?
(c) Jagged cliffs.
12. What is the current age estimate of the third layer of the Grand Canyon?
(a) 350 million years.
(b) 275 million years.
(c) 500 thousand years.
(d) 800 years.
13. What were some of the plans for his trip that Fletcher details in "Part 2, The Dream?"
(a) Plans for a mule to help him navigate the Grand Canyon.
(b) Plans to arrange for food and water during his trip.
(c) Plans to arrange for a replacement for him at work.
(d) Plans to arrange a series of interviews with newspapers about his trip.
14. How did Fletcher say the big moment happened when he knew he would take the journey through the Grand Canyon?
(c) There was no big moment.
15. Why did Fletcher decide to see the Grand Canyon the first time?
(a) He took a dare.
(b) He felt it was an important thing for a tourist in the area to see.
(c) He didn't decide. It was a surprise trip from his girlfriend.
(d) He wanted to paint a picture of it.
Short Answer Questions
1. Part 1 is called "The Place." What is the place?
2. How long after he saw the Grand Canyon for the first time did Fletcher begin his trip?
3. How long did it take to for the Grand Canyon to form?
4. Approximately how thick is the third layer of the Grand Canyon?
5. What are some things Fletcher describes in "Part 2, The Dream?"
This section contains 609 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)