|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Fletcher pass and nearly miss altogether in "Chapter 4, Challenge?"
(a) The only fresh water for miles.
(b) The first air drop of supplies.
(c) The gap in the pass.
(d) The trail through the ravine.
2. How long did Fletcher plan for his journey to take?
(a) 1 year.
(b) 6 months.
(c) 1 week.
(d) 2 months.
3. What lifestyle does Fletcher describe in a footnote in "Part 2, The Dream?"
(a) A compulsive walker.
(b) An accomplished musician.
(c) A compulsive gambler.
(d) A famous millionaire.
4. How did Fletcher say the big moment happened when he knew he would take the journey through the Grand Canyon?
(d) There was no big moment.
5. Why did Fletcher stay at the Grand Canyon Village for a while just before beginning his trip?
(a) His heel was infected.
(b) He liked the view.
(c) He was trying to raise money.
(d) He was waiting for his friend.
6. What were some of the necessary items Fletcher took with him on his journey?
(a) A life jacket, fishing pole, and a bucket of worms.
(b) Sleeping bag, dehydrated rations, and an air mattress.
(c) A portable raft, cell phone, and mace.
(d) A shotgun, a device to purify water, and snake repellant.
7. Why did Fletcher decide to see the Grand Canyon the first time?
(a) He took a dare.
(b) He wanted to paint a picture of it.
(c) He didn't decide. It was a surprise trip from his girlfriend.
(d) He felt it was an important thing for a tourist in the area to see.
8. What does Fletcher say was a sacrilege when it interrupted the silence of the Grand Canyon?
(a) The squawk of a blue jay.
(b) The honk of a horn.
(c) The screech of an owl.
(d) The bray of a donkey.
9. What is the current age estimate of the seventh layer of the Grand Canyon?
(a) 1 billion years.
(b) 500 million years.
(c) 750 thousand years.
(d) 30 thousand years.
10. Approximately how thick is the fifth layer of the Grand Canyon?
(a) 500 feet.
(b) 1000 feet.
(c) 200 feet.
(d) 50 feet.
11. What part of nature is not described in "Part 2, The Dream?"
(a) Various rocks.
(b) The beauty of the Grand Canyon.
(c) The peace of the ocean.
(d) The immenseness and timelessness of the Rim.
12. What is the name of the government agency established to protect the rights of Native Americans?
(a) Native American Commission.
(b) Native American Administration.
(c) Bureau of Indian Affairs.
(d) Commission of Indian Rights.
13. What does the book say geologists believe formed the Grand Canyon?
(a) A volcanic eruption.
(b) A large sea that evaporated after a 200 year drought.
(c) The Colorado River.
(d) An earthquake.
14. What does Fletcher say he realized he might be doing when he hiked through the Grand Canyon?
(a) He would be following in the footsteps of hundreds of great hikers.
(b) He would come as close to traveling back through time as possible.
(c) He would be fulfilling a dream from his early childhood.
(d) He would be making his last hiking trip.
15. Why did Fletcher rule out following a route along the Colorado River?
(a) It crossed into an area sacred to the Havasupai Indians.
(b) He was afraid of the roaring water.
(c) It had many deep gorges and impassable areas.
(d) It changed to an underground stream in places and was hard to follow.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long did it take to for the Grand Canyon to form?
2. What is the area directly above the seventh layer of the Grand Canyon called?
3. What advice did Lorenzo Sinyala offer to Fletcher?
4. What is the current age estimate of the sixth layer of the Grand Canyon?
5. What material comprises the sixth layer of the Grand Canyon?
This section contains 626 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)