|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What advice did Lorenzo Sinyala offer to Fletcher?
(a) Sound advice about escaping a bear attack.
(b) Sound advice about walking long distances.
(c) Sound advice about marriage.
(d) Sound advice regarding the downward trail and the Supai village.
2. What substance comprises the fourth layer of the Grand Canyon?
(d) Redwall Limestone.
3. How does Fletcher describe the Grand Canyon?
(a) "A chasm . . . like a gigantic and impossible desert crevasse."
(b) "Huge stacks of multicolored rock."
(c) "An upside-down mountain wonder."
(d) "A gigantic hole in the desert plateau."
4. Whom does Fletcher describe at the beginning of "Chapter 3, Interlude?"
(a) The park rangers.
(b) The Havasupai Indians.
(c) The tourists.
(d) His family.
5. How many layers are included in the Rim?
6. In "Chapter 4, Challenge," Fletcher describes the Esplanade as a maze. What constant choice does he say a traveler had to make all along the Esplanade?
(a) Whether to go straight across the river or travel downstream to a narrower spot.
(b) Whether to follow the wildlife trail or forge his own.
(c) How long to stay in the area.
(d) Whether to go across the rock terraces or across the talus.
7. Approximately how thick is the first layer of the Grand Canyon?
(a) 5 feet.
(b) 1000 feet.
(c) 20 feet.
(d) 400 feet.
8. Who drove Fletcher to the parking area at the edge of the Rim?
(a) John Wesley Powell.
(b) His father.
(c) Colin Fletcher.
(d) Lorenzo Sinyala.
9. Whom does Fletcher credit with giving him the most knowledge of the Grand Canyon?
(a) The park ranger at the tourist office.
(b) Neil Ukwalla.
(c) John Wesley Powell.
(d) Dr. Harvey Butchart.
10. When did Fletcher's journey through the Grand Canyon begin?
(a) At noon in early October.
(b) At sunset in mid-April.
(c) At daybreak in mid-June.
(d) At dusk in early February.
11. What lifestyle does Fletcher describe in a footnote in "Part 2, The Dream?"
(a) A famous millionaire.
(b) An accomplished musician.
(c) A compulsive walker.
(d) A compulsive gambler.
12. With what event does "Chapter 5, Transition" begin?
(a) Fletcher running out of water.
(b) Fletcher falling into a ravine.
(c) Wolves attacking the camp.
(d) A Cessna flying away.
13. What is the current age estimate of the seventh layer of the Grand Canyon?
(a) 30 thousand years.
(b) 500 million years.
(c) 1 billion years.
(d) 750 thousand years.
14. What places were presumably named for a member of Lorenzo Sinyala's family?
(a) Mount Sinyala and Sinyala Canyon.
(b) Lorenzo Trail and Sinyala Ravine.
(c) Sinyala Trail and Sinyala Plateau.
(d) Lorenzo Lake and Sinyala Creek.
15. How does Fletcher describe the state of the Grand Canyon at the time the book was written?
(a) Nearing destruction in a few years.
(b) Finished changing.
(c) A dying canyon.
(d) Still changing.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the book say geologists believe formed the Grand Canyon?
2. What cheerful tribal tourist manager did Fletcher meet in "Chapter 3, Interlude?"
3. How long is the Grand Canyon?
4. What material makes up the first and youngest layer of the Grand Canyon?
5. What does Fletcher say he knew as soon as he saw the Grand Canyon?
This section contains 535 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)