|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 4, Epilogue.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "Chapter 2, Reconnaissance," what does Fletcher say he realized during his trip?
(a) The insignificance of man in comparison to the Grand Canyon and nature.
(b) He had a desire to become an archeologist.
(c) He would be financially ruined when he returned home.
(d) This would be the last trip he was physically able to make.
2. In "Chapter 7, Rhythm," how does Fletcher describe the change in how he connected to the Canyon?
(a) It began as an enjoyable adventure and ended in pain and discouragement.
(b) It began as fragmented parts and sights and ended as a crystallized, cohesive experience.
(c) It began as a search for undiscovered wildlife and ended as a successful research trip.
(d) It began as a dream and ended as a tragedy.
3. Where was Fletcher headed at the beginning of "Chapter 9, Man"?
(a) To the air drop site.
(b) Into a deep valley.
(c) Back to Phantom Ranch.
(d) Across the river.
4. What was Fletcher afraid would be the most tragic loss for the Grand Canyon if the proposed water plan went through?
(a) The silence.
(b) The Havasupai Village.
(c) The mules.
(d) Boss Camp.
5. What is the current age estimate of the eighth layer of the Grand Canyon.
(a) 750 million years.
(b) 1 to 2 billion years.
(c) 800 thousand years.
(d) 5 million years.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the current age estimate of the sixth layer of the Grand Canyon?
2. What kind of condition was Fletcher in at the beginning of his trip?
3. Why was the place where Fletcher arrived in "Chapter 4, Challenge" such a relief to his spirit?
4. What was one sad reflection Fletcher recorded in his notebook in "Chapter 10, Exit?"
5. What was the first intrusion from the outside world that Fletcher outlines in "Chapter 10, Exit?"
This section contains 384 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)