|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 3, Chapters 1-5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are hanging terraces?
(a) Porches at the Grand Canyon National Park Office that hang over the canyon.
(b) Narrow sloping ledges.
(c) Walkways without guardrails
(d) Hanging gardens.
2. How did Fletcher redefine the path of his trip?
(a) From "around the Rim" to "along the Colorado River."
(b) From "through the Canyon" to "around the Rim."
(c) From "through the Canyon" to "to the Canyon floor and back."
(d) From "one end of the Grand Canyon to the other" to "one end of the Grand Canyon National Park to the other."
3. What did Fletcher pass and nearly miss altogether in "Chapter 4, Challenge?"
(a) The trail through the ravine.
(b) The only fresh water for miles.
(c) The first air drop of supplies.
(d) The gap in the pass.
4. Where did Fletcher go to ask questions about the area in which he would be traveling?
(a) The Arizona State Park Building.
(b) The Grand Canyon National Park Office.
(c) The Forestry Service Office.
(d) The Desert Travel Information Center.
5. Where was Lorenzo Sinyala born?
(a) San Antonio, Texas.
(b) San Diego, California.
(c) Flagstaff, Arizona.
(d) A Supai village.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the book say geologists believe formed the Grand Canyon?
2. What material makes up the first and youngest layer of the Grand Canyon?
3. What was the approximate depth of the Grand Canyon at the time the book was written?
4. How does Fletcher describe the Grand Canyon?
5. What is the current age estimate of the seventh layer of the Grand Canyon?
This section contains 289 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)