|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 3, Chapters 1-5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. With what event does "Chapter 5, Transition" begin?
(a) Fletcher falling into a ravine.
(b) A Cessna flying away.
(c) Wolves attacking the camp.
(d) Fletcher running out of water.
2. Why did Fletcher rule out following a route along the Colorado River?
(a) He was afraid of the roaring water.
(b) It had many deep gorges and impassable areas.
(c) It crossed into an area sacred to the Havasupai Indians.
(d) It changed to an underground stream in places and was hard to follow.
3. Who does Fletcher credit with making the first trip through the Grand Canyon?
(a) John Wesley Powell.
(b) Hernando DeSoto.
(c) Lorenzo Sinyala.
(d) Lewis and Clark.
4. How long did Dr. Harvey Butchart study the Grand Canyon?
(a) 25 years.
(b) He never studied it.
(c) 5 years.
(d) 17 years.
5. In "Chapter 4, Challenge," Fletcher describes the Esplanade as a maze. What constant choice does he say a traveler had to make all along the Esplanade?
(a) How long to stay in the area.
(b) Whether to go straight across the river or travel downstream to a narrower spot.
(c) Whether to follow the wildlife trail or forge his own.
(d) Whether to go across the rock terraces or across the talus.
Short Answer Questions
1. What urge came to Fletcher's mind as he witnessed the different sights at the Rim?
2. Why did Fletcher decide to see the Grand Canyon the first time?
3. What is the name of the government agency established to protect the rights of Native Americans?
4. What lifestyle does Fletcher describe in a footnote in "Part 2, The Dream?"
5. What did Fletcher pass and nearly miss altogether in "Chapter 4, Challenge?"
This section contains 353 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)