|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Parts 1 and 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the approximate depth of the Grand Canyon at the time the book was written?
(a) 1 mile.
(b) 500 feet.
(c) 2000 feet.
(d) 5 miles.
2. Fletcher says while studying the Grand Canyon he realized the silence there was not a timeless one as he first thought. How does he define it instead?
(a) "A silence built of the seconds that had ticked away, eon after eon."
(b) "Not a silence at all but the beautiful noise of nature."
(c) "A silence established by an abundance of rock."
(d) "A silence of the future."
3. What was Fletcher's reaction upon his first trip to the Rim?
(a) Laughter at all the funny people there.
(b) Disgust at the destruction around him.
(c) Anger at his friend for bringing him.
(d) Shock at the majesty of what he saw.
4. When Fletcher's idea was first fully formed, what doubts bugged him?
(a) What he would do about his diabetes while he was on his journey.
(b) How he would ask his boss for time off.
(c) How he would stay away from home so long.
(d) No real doubts.
5. What did Fletcher say he saw even before he came close to the Grand Canyon?
(d) Jagged cliffs.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Fletcher's dream become a reality?
2. What questions does Fletcher say he hoped he would find some solutions for as he traveled the Grand Canyon?
3. What information was not sought by Fletcher before beginning his trip?
4. About how long did Fletcher stay at the Grand Canyon Village?
5. What does Fletcher say was a sacrilege when it interrupted the silence of the Grand Canyon?
This section contains 363 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)