|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Parts 1 and 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Fletcher redefine the path of his trip?
(a) From "through the Canyon" to "to the Canyon floor and back."
(b) From "one end of the Grand Canyon to the other" to "one end of the Grand Canyon National Park to the other."
(c) From "through the Canyon" to "around the Rim."
(d) From "around the Rim" to "along the Colorado River."
2. When Fletcher's idea was first fully formed, what doubts bugged him?
(a) No real doubts.
(b) How he would stay away from home so long.
(c) How he would ask his boss for time off.
(d) What he would do about his diabetes while he was on his journey.
3. How does "Part 1, The Place" begin?
(a) With facts about the Grand Canyon.
(b) With information on traveling through Arizona.
(c) With advice on hiking.
(d) With facts about tourist destinations in the United States.
4. What does Fletcher say he realized he might be doing when he hiked through the Grand Canyon?
(a) He would be making his last hiking trip.
(b) He would be fulfilling a dream from his early childhood.
(c) He would be following in the footsteps of hundreds of great hikers.
(d) He would come as close to traveling back through time as possible.
5. How does Fletcher describe the Grand Canyon?
(a) "A chasm . . . like a gigantic and impossible desert crevasse."
(b) "A gigantic hole in the desert plateau."
(c) "Huge stacks of multicolored rock."
(d) "An upside-down mountain wonder."
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Fletcher stay at the Grand Canyon Village for a while just before beginning his trip?
2. What did Fletcher say he saw even before he came close to the Grand Canyon?
3. What were some of the plans for his trip that Fletcher details in "Part 2, The Dream?"
4. About how long did Fletcher stay at the Grand Canyon Village?
5. How long did Fletcher plan for his journey to take?
This section contains 371 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)