|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 3, Chapters 1-5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What urge came to Fletcher's mind as he witnessed the different sights at the Rim?
(a) To hike the canyon.
(b) To leave and never come back.
(c) To climb the mountain.
(d) To swim across the river.
2. How did Fletcher redefine the path of his trip?
(a) From "through the Canyon" to "to the Canyon floor and back."
(b) From "one end of the Grand Canyon to the other" to "one end of the Grand Canyon National Park to the other."
(c) From "around the Rim" to "along the Colorado River."
(d) From "through the Canyon" to "around the Rim."
3. What material comprises the sixth layer of the Grand Canyon?
(d) Bright Angel Shale.
4. How does "Part 1, The Place" begin?
(a) With information on traveling through Arizona.
(b) With facts about the Grand Canyon.
(c) With facts about tourist destinations in the United States.
(d) With advice on hiking.
5. Where did Fletcher arrive in "Chapter 4, Challenge" that was such a relief to him?
(a) Hualpai Hilltop.
(b) The Supai village.
(c) The Esplanade.
(d) The Rim.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the government agency established to protect the rights of Native Americans?
2. Approximately how thick is the fifth layer of the Grand Canyon?
3. What does Fletcher say was a sacrilege when it interrupted the silence of the Grand Canyon?
4. What did geologists say disrupted the Colorado River's flow and lead to the formation of the Grand Canyon?
5. What were two things Fletcher mentions could have made parts of his path impassable?
This section contains 310 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)