|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 3, Chapters 1-5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was one of the first things Fletcher noticed as he began his journey?
(a) The vast silence and emptiness of the canyon.
(b) The darkness of the night.
(c) The sound of crickets and frogs.
(d) The moonlight reflecting on the rocks.
2. What does Fletcher say was a sacrilege when it interrupted the silence of the Grand Canyon?
(a) The bray of a donkey.
(b) The squawk of a blue jay.
(c) The honk of a horn.
(d) The screech of an owl.
3. Where did Fletcher's journey begin?
(a) The Grand Ravine.
(b) The Rio Grande.
(c) The Alamo.
(d) Hualpai Hilltop.
4. Where did Fletcher arrive in "Chapter 4, Challenge" that was such a relief to him?
(a) The Supai village.
(b) Hualpai Hilltop.
(c) The Rim.
(d) The Esplanade.
5. What information was not sought by Fletcher before beginning his trip?
(a) Information about the existence of water sources.
(b) Information about weather.
(c) Information about trails.
(d) Information about the possibility of attacks by wild boar.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Fletcher's reaction upon his first trip to the Rim?
2. How many layers of the Grand Canyon are shown in the schematic in "Part 3, The Journey?"
3. What kind of condition was Fletcher in at the beginning of his trip?
4. What does the book say geologists believe formed the Grand Canyon?
5. In "Chapter 4, Challenge," Fletcher describes the Esplanade as a maze. What constant choice does he say a traveler had to make all along the Esplanade?
This section contains 326 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)