|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 3, Chapters 6-10.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. About what specific skill did Fletcher compliment William Wallace Bass?
(a) His ability to garden in the desert climate.
(b) His construction ability.
(c) His prospecting skills.
(d) His congeniality.
2. What disease did Fletcher say plagued William Wallace Bass?
3. What are hanging terraces?
(a) Porches at the Grand Canyon National Park Office that hang over the canyon.
(b) Walkways without guardrails
(c) Narrow sloping ledges.
(d) Hanging gardens.
4. What material makes up the second layer of the Grand Canyon?
(c) Volcanic ash.
5. How does Fletcher describe the state of the Grand Canyon at the time the book was written?
(a) Finished changing.
(b) A dying canyon.
(c) Nearing destruction in a few years.
(d) Still changing.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Fletcher's observations, how did people fresh from the city view the area near Phantom Ranch?
2. What does Fletcher say was a sacrilege when it interrupted the silence of the Grand Canyon?
3. What did geologists say disrupted the Colorado River's flow and lead to the formation of the Grand Canyon?
4. What was one of the first things Fletcher noticed as he began his journey?
5. What animal does Fletcher say lived in significant numbers in the area past the head of Forester Canyon?
This section contains 275 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)