|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Henny characterize Louie's teacher?
2. What has Henny begun to do in front of the children?
3. What does Henny accuse Bert Anderson of?
4. What embarrasses Louie about going to school?
5. How do things change in the house after Sam returns home?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the reading of David Collyer's will.
2. What is it that upsets Sam during his homecoming celebration?
3. Why doesn't Sam let Louie go when she says she wants to leave?
4. What does Sam do on account of Jo's news?
5. How is Henny replaced?
6. How does Henny die?
7. Describe Henny's second visit to Bert Anderson.
8. How does the new baby strain the Pollit household?
9. Describe Louie's experience in a new school.
10. What does the anonymous letter Sam receives say?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
To what extent is Louie's tale every woman's tale? To what extent is it uniquely Louie's own story? How can we extrapolate from this story to discuss the experiences of girls and women in general?
Essay Topic 2
Where is the climax of this book? Are there different climaxes? What questions does each climax resolve? What questions does each climax leave unanswered?
Essay Topic 3
To what extent is 'The Man Who Loved Children' a woman's book? What markers are there to say that this is written from a female author's perspective and this perspective is different from what a man's perspective might be?
This section contains 755 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)