|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Louie says Spa House is filled with __________________.
2. Why does Sam challenge Louie to write poetry?
3. Sam warns Louie about ________.
4. What is the state of Sam and Henny's relationship when Henny is making a gift for Cathleen?
5. What embarrasses Louie about going to school?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Sam react to the birth of a new baby?
2. What happens after Sam gets the anonymous letter?
3. Describe the opening of the crates from Sam's trip.
4. How does the topic of poetry figure in Sam's homecoming celebration?
5. How does Henny die?
6. Describe Louie's experience in a new school.
7. What is Ernie's main concern, which has Sam so displeased?
8. How has the relationship between Sam and Henny changed by the time of Cathleen's eighteenth birthday?
9. What leads up to Henny's death?
10. Describe Henny's stay at Hassie's house.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In what way is 'The Man Who Loved Children' an American book? In what ways is it not? How does the book define the American way of life, and how does the book fulfill its own definition? If it is not American, what is it? Does it lay out terms for what is not American as well?
Essay Topic 2
The Pollits have problems inside and outside of the house. How are these two spheres related? Are the problems in one related to the problems in the other? Do they mirror, echo, follow each other? What strategies do the Pollits have for solving these problems? Do their solutions apply from one sphere to the other?
Essay Topic 3
'The Man Who Loved Children' is in many ways a coming-of-age story about an artist. How does Stead use the coming-of-age story for her purposes, and how does Louie's coming of age as a writer differ from other comings of age?
This section contains 825 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)