|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator say is clear has happened since Henny left Tohoga House?
2. Why does Sam say he can't let Louie go?
3. What is Jo's main concern regarding Bonnie?
4. What does Sam propose to Bonnie?
5. What happens to Sam in mid-summer?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Saul Pilgrim's visit in June.
2. How does the new baby strain the Pollit household?
3. Describe Miss Aiden's visit.
4. Describe Henny's fight with Louie.
5. Why doesn't Sam let Louie go when she says she wants to leave?
6. What leads up to Henny's death?
7. What happens when Sam reads Louie's poetry?
8. Describe the opening of the crates from Sam's trip.
9. Describe the children's reaction to the marlin Sam brings home.
10. Describe the atmosphere at the celebration for Sam's homecoming.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
To what extent is 'The Man Who Loved Children' a woman's book? What markers are there to say that this is written from a female author's perspective and this perspective is different from what a man's perspective might be?
Essay Topic 2
Where is the climax of this book? Are there different climaxes? What questions does each climax resolve? What questions does each climax leave unanswered?
Essay Topic 3
'The Man Who Loved Children' is in many ways a coming-of-age story about an artist. How does Stead use the coming-of-age story for her purposes, and how does Louie's coming of age as a writer differ from other comings of age?
This section contains 803 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)