|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the narrator characterize Hassie's house?
2. What does the anonymous letter tell Sam?
3. How does Sam anger Colonel Willets?
4. What are Louie's feelings about what she has done?
5. How does Henny characterize Louie's teacher?
Short Essay Questions
1. How has the relationship between Sam and Henny changed by the time of Cathleen's eighteenth birthday?
2. How do things come to a head with Colonel Willets and Sam?
3. How do the Pollits end up in Spa House?
4. What is Ernie's main concern, which has Sam so displeased?
5. Describe the atmosphere at the celebration for Sam's homecoming.
6. How does Sam react to the birth of a new baby?
7. How does the new baby strain the Pollit household?
8. How does Sam react when Louie tells him that she killed Henny?
9. What news does Jo bring to the house?
10. How does Henny die?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is missing from this book? What should have been covered or presented that was not? What is the effect of this absence? Describe an element that ought to have been covered, and explain why it would have made the book stronger.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the novel, Louie's character reveals aspects of other characters, in their meanness or friendliness to her. How does Louie's murdering Henny change how characters see her?
Essay Topic 3
Where is the climax of this book? Are there different climaxes? What questions does each climax resolve? What questions does each climax leave unanswered?
This section contains 732 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)