|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ernie admire in his secret money box?
2. What embarrasses Louie about going to school?
3. What has Henny begun to do in front of the children?
4. What is Henny's response to the events of mid summer?
5. What does the narrator say Ernie is deeply concerned about?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Sam do on account of Jo's news?
2. How does Henny die?
3. What news does Jo bring to the house?
4. How do the Pollits end up in Spa House?
5. Describe the opening of the crates from Sam's trip.
6. How is Henny replaced?
7. Describe Miss Aiden's visit.
8. Describe the reading of David Collyer's will.
9. Describe Henny's stay at Hassie's house.
10. What is Ernie's main concern, which has Sam so displeased?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What stories does this story echo? How does this story resolve differently from Snow White? What makes 'The Man Who Loved Children' unique in its presentation of the familiar story of a girl who doesn't get along with her step-mother?
Essay Topic 2
The Pollits have problems inside and outside of the house. How are these two spheres related? Are the problems in one related to the problems in the other? Do they mirror, echo, follow each other? What strategies do the Pollits have for solving these problems? Do their solutions apply from one sphere to the other?
Essay Topic 3
Write an evaluative review of 'The Man Who Loved Children'. What is this book's place in culture? What are its uses? Who is its audience? What are its limitations?
This section contains 793 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)