|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sam think Louie's reaction will be if he reads her poetry?
2. Who is Saul Pilgrim?
3. Where is the house Sam finds?
4. What does Bonnie tell Sam?
5. What does Josephine Pollit tell the family about, when she comes to visit?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Henny say about the news Jo brings?
2. How do the Pollits end up in Spa House?
3. What is uncommon about Cathleen's eighteenth birthday?
4. Why doesn't Sam let Louie go when she says she wants to leave?
5. Describe Saul Pilgrim's visit in June.
6. Describe Louie's experience in a new school.
7. Describe Henny's fight with Louie.
8. What leads up to Henny's death?
9. Describe the reading of David Collyer's will.
10. Describe Miss Aiden's visit.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the novel, Louie's character reveals aspects of other characters, in their meanness or friendliness to her. How does Louie's murdering Henny change how characters see her?
Essay Topic 2
Write a character sketch of the author based on his style and content. What values does he hold dear? What are his hopes and fears? What kind of person do you think he is? Anchor your sketch in passages in the book.
Essay Topic 3
To what extent is 'The Man Who Loved Children' a woman's book? What markers are there to say that this is written from a female author's perspective and this perspective is different from what a man's perspective might be?
This section contains 843 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)