|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Louie do after confessing to her father?
2. Sam warns Louie about ________.
3. How does Sam anger Colonel Willets?
4. Louie says Spa House is filled with __________________.
5. What do Sam and Henny discover when David Collyer's will is read?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the opening of the crates from Sam's trip.
2. How do the Pollits end up in Spa House?
3. How do things come to a head with Colonel Willets and Sam?
4. Why doesn't Sam let Louie go when she says she wants to leave?
5. What happens after Sam gets the anonymous letter?
6. Describe Henny's stay at Hassie's house.
7. Describe Miss Aiden's visit.
8. What is uncommon about Cathleen's eighteenth birthday?
9. What news does Jo bring to the house?
10. Describe Saul Pilgrim's visit in June.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How are we to take the murder at the end of 'The Man Who Loved Children'? Is this a crime Louie will lament for the rest of her days? Was it somehow self-defense? Was it an uncomfortable authorial imposition on a narrative that wasn't ending neatly?
Essay Topic 2
What stories does this story echo? How does this story resolve differently from Snow White? What makes 'The Man Who Loved Children' unique in its presentation of the familiar story of a girl who doesn't get along with her step-mother?
Essay Topic 3
To what extent is 'The Man Who Loved Children' a woman's book? What markers are there to say that this is written from a female author's perspective and this perspective is different from what a man's perspective might be?
This section contains 848 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)