|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sam say to excuse Henny's behavior when she beats Ernie for no reason?
2. What had Sam brought back from Malaysia in the crates?
3. What does Saul Pilgrim tell Sam?
4. What does Sam say when Louie confesses to him?
5. Why doesn't Sam tell Henny this news?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Sam react when Louie tells him that she killed Henny?
2. What does the anonymous letter Sam receives say?
3. What happens after Sam gets the anonymous letter?
4. How do the Pollits end up in Spa House?
5. Describe Henny's second visit to Bert Anderson.
6. What does Henny say about the news Jo brings?
7. What is uncommon about Cathleen's eighteenth birthday?
8. What is Ernie's main concern, which has Sam so displeased?
9. Describe the atmosphere at the celebration for Sam's homecoming.
10. Describe Saul Pilgrim's visit in June.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Evaluate your own reading of 'The Man Who Loved Children'. Did you resist it, or were you compelled by the story? What does your reading tell you about yourself and your interests? Use specific examples from the book to describe yourself as a reader.
Essay Topic 2
What is the role of religion and morality in 'The Man Who Loved Children'? Is the religion organized, or is it just implicit in Sam and Henny's codes of conduct?
Essay Topic 3
How are we to take the murder at the end of 'The Man Who Loved Children'? Is this a crime Louie will lament for the rest of her days? Was it somehow self-defense? Was it an uncomfortable authorial imposition on a narrative that wasn't ending neatly?
This section contains 838 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)