|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Sam's response to this event?
2. What does Sam say when Louie confesses to him?
3. What does Sam think Louie's reaction will be if he reads her poetry?
4. The boys think a marlin is a ___________.
5. What happens to Bonnie's baby?
Short Essay Questions
1. What leads up to Henny's death?
2. Describe the opening of the crates from Sam's trip.
3. How does Sam react when Louie tells him that she killed Henny?
4. Describe Henny's fight with Louie.
5. Describe Miss Aiden's visit.
6. What does Sam do on account of Jo's news?
7. What does the anonymous letter Sam receives say?
8. Describe the reading of David Collyer's will.
9. What does Henny say about the news Jo brings?
10. Describe the atmosphere at the celebration for Sam's homecoming.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In what way is 'The Man Who Loved Children' an American book? In what ways is it not? How does the book define the American way of life, and how does the book fulfill its own definition? If it is not American, what is it? Does it lay out terms for what is not American as well?
Essay Topic 2
How are we to take the murder at the end of 'The Man Who Loved Children'? Is this a crime Louie will lament for the rest of her days? Was it somehow self-defense? Was it an uncomfortable authorial imposition on a narrative that wasn't ending neatly?
Essay Topic 3
To what extent is 'The Man Who Loved Children' a woman's book? What markers are there to say that this is written from a female author's perspective and this perspective is different from what a man's perspective might be?
This section contains 769 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)