|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The boys think a marlin is a ___________.
2. What does the anonymous letter tell Sam?
3. What is the atmosphere like at Tohoga House when Jo arrives there?
4. Where is the house Sam finds?
5. What does Sam think Louie's reaction will be if he reads her poetry?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the atmosphere at the celebration for Sam's homecoming.
2. Describe Henny's stay at Hassie's house.
3. What does the anonymous letter Sam receives say?
4. Describe the reading of David Collyer's will.
5. How is Henny replaced?
6. How does Henny die?
7. Describe Miss Aiden's visit.
8. Describe Saul Pilgrim's visit in June.
9. Describe Henny's second visit to Bert Anderson.
10. What does Sam do on account of Jo's news?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What stories does this story echo? How does this story resolve differently from Snow White? What makes 'The Man Who Loved Children' unique in its presentation of the familiar story of a girl who doesn't get along with her step-mother?
Essay Topic 2
What is missing from this book? What should have been covered or presented that was not? What is the effect of this absence? Describe an element that ought to have been covered, and explain why it would have made the book stronger.
Essay Topic 3
The Pollits have problems inside and outside of the house. How are these two spheres related? Are the problems in one related to the problems in the other? Do they mirror, echo, follow each other? What strategies do the Pollits have for solving these problems? Do their solutions apply from one sphere to the other?
This section contains 754 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)