|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Louie's cousins teacher her?
2. Why doesn't Henny do what she would like to do to Sam?
3. What is Togoha House?
4. What is Louie like when her parents are around?
5. Where does Beulah live?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Henny characterize the difference between herself and Sam?
2. Describe the opening scene of 'The Man Who Loved Children'.
3. How does the narrator describe Louie's personality?
4. How does the narrator characterize Sam's world view?
5. What is Louie's relationship with Beulah?
6. Describe Henny's letter from her brother, Norman Collyer.
7. What does Henny find when she arrives at Monocacy?
8. What does Louie do at Beulah's house?
9. How does the narrator characterize Sam?
10. What news does Jo bring when she comes?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an evaluative review of 'The Man Who Loved Children'. What is this book's place in culture? What are its uses? Who is its audience? What are its limitations?
Essay Topic 2
To what extent is Louie's tale every woman's tale? To what extent is it uniquely Louie's own story? How can we extrapolate from this story to discuss the experiences of girls and women in general?
Essay Topic 3
To what extent is 'The Man Who Loved Children' a woman's book? What markers are there to say that this is written from a female author's perspective and this perspective is different from what a man's perspective might be?
This section contains 772 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)