|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what way does Sam juxtapose nature and Henny?
2. What do Louie's cousins teacher her?
3. Who is Rachel?
4. Who is Nellie?
5. How does Henny say she thinks of Louie?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Sam's relationship with Colonel Willets?
2. Compare and contrast Louie with Henny's brother Barry.
3. How does Henny characterize the difference between herself and Sam?
4. What does Louie do at Beulah's house?
5. How is Louie treated in the Pollit household?
6. Describe Sam's relation to Naden.
7. What does Henny complain about to Bert Anderson?
8. Describe Louie's visit to Mrs. Kydd's house.
9. Describe Sam's return home.
10. How does the narrator characterize Sam's world view?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an evaluative review of 'The Man Who Loved Children'. What is this book's place in culture? What are its uses? Who is its audience? What are its limitations?
Essay Topic 2
Where is the climax of this book? Are there different climaxes? What questions does each climax resolve? What questions does each climax leave unanswered?
Essay Topic 3
Write a character sketch of the author based on his style and content. What values does he hold dear? What are his hopes and fears? What kind of person do you think he is? Anchor your sketch in passages in the book.
This section contains 785 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)