|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what way is Nellie cruel to Louie?
2. What is Sam Pollit's profession?
3. Where is Sam Pollit?
4. How does the narrator say Henny treats Louie when she takes the children to Washington D.C. for shoes?
5. What does Henny threaten to do if she cannot have her way with Hazel Moore?
Short Essay Questions
1. Compare and contrast Louie with Henny's brother Barry.
2. Describe Sam's return home.
3. What does Bert Anderson tell Henny?
4. Describe Henny's relationship with relation to the children?
5. Describe Louie's visit to Mrs. Kydd's house.
6. What news does Jo bring when she comes?
7. How does the narrator characterize Sam?
8. Describe Sam's relation to Naden.
9. How does the narrator characterize Sam's world view?
10. What does Henny find when she arrives at Monocacy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What stories does this story echo? How does this story resolve differently from Snow White? What makes 'The Man Who Loved Children' unique in its presentation of the familiar story of a girl who doesn't get along with her step-mother?
Essay Topic 2
What is missing from this book? What should have been covered or presented that was not? What is the effect of this absence? Describe an element that ought to have been covered, and explain why it would have made the book stronger.
Essay Topic 3
In what way is 'The Man Who Loved Children' an American book? In what ways is it not? How does the book define the American way of life, and how does the book fulfill its own definition? If it is not American, what is it? Does it lay out terms for what is not American as well?
This section contains 818 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)