|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Henny and Old Ellen talk about?
2. Who is Norman Collyer?
3. What does Norman Collyer tell Henny her trouble is?
4. What does Louie make for Henny when she comes home?
5. Josephine Pollit tells Sam about _____________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Louie's relationship with Beulah?
2. What does Henny complain about to Bert Anderson?
3. What is Sam's relationship with Colonel Willets?
4. What is the financial state of the Pollit household?
5. How is Louie treated in the Pollit household?
6. What news does Jo bring when she comes?
7. Describe Henny's relationship with Bert Anderson.
8. Describe Sam's return home.
9. What might be being foreshadowed in Chapters 3 and 4?
10. How does Hazel Moore disappoint Henny?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
To what extent is Louie's tale every woman's tale? To what extent is it uniquely Louie's own story? How can we extrapolate from this story to discuss the experiences of girls and women in general?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the novel, Louie's character reveals aspects of other characters, in their meanness or friendliness to her. How does Louie's murdering Henny change how characters see her?
Essay Topic 3
Evaluate your own reading of 'The Man Who Loved Children'. Did you resist it, or were you compelled by the story? What does your reading tell you about yourself and your interests? Use specific examples from the book to describe yourself as a reader.
This section contains 799 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)