|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Henny want of Hazel Moore?
2. How do Henny, Hassie, and Old Ellen characterize Barry?
3. When does Henny say she was tricked?
4. How long have Sam and Henny been married?
5. What is Beulah's family business?
Short Essay Questions
1. What news does Jo bring when she comes?
2. Describe Josephine Pollit's arrival at Tohoga House.
3. How does the narrator characterize Sam's world view?
4. Describe the trip to Washington D.C. to buy shoes for the children.
5. How is Louie treated in the Pollit household?
6. Describe Henny's relationship with relation to the children?
7. How does Hazel Moore disappoint Henny?
8. What does Bert Anderson tell Henny?
9. Describe Louie's visit to Mrs. Kydd's house.
10. How does the narrator characterize Sam?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the novel, Louie's character reveals aspects of other characters, in their meanness or friendliness to her. How does Louie's murdering Henny change how characters see her?
Essay Topic 2
How are we to take the murder at the end of 'The Man Who Loved Children'? Is this a crime Louie will lament for the rest of her days? Was it somehow self-defense? Was it an uncomfortable authorial imposition on a narrative that wasn't ending neatly?
Essay Topic 3
How does 'The Man Who Loved Children' raise our expectations throughout the novel and then dash them with the ending? Is the ending of 'The Man Who Loved Children' a total surprise? If so, what is the expected ending? Reading the novel closely, describe how our expectations are built and shaped.
This section contains 811 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)