|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Henny's special place?
2. What is Louie like when her parents are gone?
3. How does Henny say she thinks of Louie?
4. What do the children do when Henny arrives home?
5. Why is Henny irritated by the children writing letters to Sam in Malaysia?
Short Essay Questions
1. What news does Jo bring when she comes?
2. How does the narrator characterize Sam?
3. What does Henny like about visiting Washington D.C.?
4. What does Henny find when she arrives at Monocacy?
5. Describe Sam and Henny's conversation at the end of Chapter 4.
6. How does Hazel Moore disappoint Henny?
7. Describe Louie's visit to Mrs. Kydd's house.
8. What is Louie's relationship with Beulah?
9. Describe Sam's return home.
10. Describe Henny's letter from her brother, Norman Collyer.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is missing from this book? What should have been covered or presented that was not? What is the effect of this absence? Describe an element that ought to have been covered, and explain why it would have made the book stronger.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the novel, Louie's character reveals aspects of other characters, in their meanness or friendliness to her. How does Louie's murdering Henny change how characters see her?
Essay Topic 3
Write a character sketch of the author based on his style and content. What values does he hold dear? What are his hopes and fears? What kind of person do you think he is? Anchor your sketch in passages in the book.
This section contains 794 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)