Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Henny's special place?
2. What is Henny's mother doing when Henny arrives at Monocacy?
3. What do Henny and Old Ellen talk about?
4. What does Sam say he would like to create?
5. Where does Beulah live?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Louie do at Beulah's house?
2. How has the relationship between Sam and Henny changed by the time of Cathleen's eighteenth birthday?
3. Describe Sam's relation to Naden.
4. How does Henny die?
5. What might be being foreshadowed in Chapters 3 and 4?
6. What is Sam's relationship with Colonel Willets?
7. Describe the atmosphere at the celebration for Sam's homecoming.
8. How does the narrator characterize Sam's world view?
9. How do the Pollits end up in Spa House?
10. What leads up to Henny's death?
Essay Topic 1
Where is the climax of this book? Are there different climaxes? What questions does each climax resolve? What questions does each climax leave unanswered?
Essay Topic 2
How are we to take the murder at the end of 'The Man Who Loved Children'? Is this a crime Louie will lament for the rest of her days? Was it somehow self-defense? Was it an uncomfortable authorial imposition on a narrative that wasn't ending neatly?
Essay Topic 3
To what extent is 'The Man Who Loved Children' a woman's book? What markers are there to say that this is written from a female author's perspective and this perspective is different from what a man's perspective might be?
This section contains 789 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)