|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Josephine Pollit carry on about?
(a) The beauty of the new baby.
(b) The justice of retribution on Colonel Willets.
(c) The disrepute Bonnie has brought to the family.
(d) The strain a new baby will place on the family finances.
2. How does Sam anger Colonel Willets?
(a) By claiming everything as his own work.
(b) By working so hard that no one else needs to contribute much.
(c) By responding pleasantly to his rudeness.
(d) By refusing to tell Colonel Willets about funding opportunities.
3. How does Henny leave her argument with Bert Anderson?
(a) She tells Bert that she doesn't want to hear from him until he apologizes.
(b) She takes some time to think about things.
(c) She severs the friendship.
(d) She repairs the conversation.
4. Who is Saul Pilgrim?
(a) Colonel Willets' inspector.
(b) Henny's confidante.
(c) Louie's friend in Harper's Ferry.
(d) Sam's old friend.
5. How do things change in the house after Sam returns home?
(a) Henny moves out.
(b) Sam moves in all of his Eastern furniture.
(c) Sam spends a lot of time writing letters.
(d) Everything in the house gets a new Malay name.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Louie do after confessing to her father?
2. How does the narrator characterize the house Sam finds?
3. What is Louie's reaction when Sam reads her poetry?
4. What are Louie's feelings about what she has done?
5. What does Sam get the children excited about?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Miss Aiden's visit.
2. How does Sam react when Louie tells him that she killed Henny?
3. Describe the atmosphere at the celebration for Sam's homecoming.
4. How does the new baby strain the Pollit household?
5. What happens after Sam gets the anonymous letter?
6. Describe Louie's experience in a new school.
7. What news does Jo bring to the house?
8. Describe the opening of the crates from Sam's trip.
9. What is it that upsets Sam during his homecoming celebration?
10. Describe Henny's second visit to Bert Anderson.
This section contains 862 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)