|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why doesn't Sam tell Henny this news?
(a) She doesn't want to know it.
(b) He is saving it for the right moment.
(c) She will ruin the party.
(d) She is about to go into labor.
2. What is Louie's reaction when Sam reads her poetry?
(a) She is glad that her work is finally being heard.
(b) She is irritated, but not bothered much.
(c) She is glad to set a good example for her siblings.
(d) She is furious for the invasion of privacy.
3. Who is Cathleen?
(a) Josephine Pollit's daughter.
(b) Henny's new maid.
(c) Hassie's only daughter.
(d) Hazel Moore's daughter.
4. How does the narrator characterize Hassie's house?
5. How long does Henny stay away from Spa House?
(a) Ten days.
(b) Two days.
(c) A week.
(d) An afternoon.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sam say when Louie confesses to him?
2. What is Sam's status in terms of work, in Chapter 9?
3. What happens to Bonnie's baby?
4. What does Sam say to excuse Henny's behavior when she beats Ernie for no reason?
5. What does Sam get the children excited about?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Miss Aiden's visit.
2. What happens when Sam reads Louie's poetry?
3. How is Henny replaced?
4. What is uncommon about Cathleen's eighteenth birthday?
5. How does Sam react when Louie tells him that she killed Henny?
6. How does the topic of poetry figure in Sam's homecoming celebration?
7. Why doesn't Sam let Louie go when she says she wants to leave?
8. What is it that upsets Sam during his homecoming celebration?
9. How does Sam react to the birth of a new baby?
10. Describe the atmosphere at the celebration for Sam's homecoming.
This section contains 768 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)