|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what way does Colonel Willets see David Collyer's death as an opportunity?
(a) Now he can toy with Sam's appointment, and drive him away from the institute.
(b) Now he can discredit Sam and have him removed from his post.
(c) Now he can extract more contributions from Sam.
(d) Now he can make Sam loyal to him personally.
2. What are Louie's feelings about what she has done?
(a) Crushing guilt.
(b) She is ruthless.
(c) Life will go on.
(d) She feels nothing.
3. What had Sam brought back from Malaysia in the crates?
(a) Vases and silks.
(b) Books and illustrations.
(c) Small animals and biological samples.
(d) Trinkets and worthless things.
4. What does Sam propose to Bonnie?
(a) She should be institutionalized.
(b) She should move into Spa House.
(c) She should move away.
(d) She should marry the baby's father.
5. What does the narrator say Ernie is deeply concerned about?
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Bonnie in the end of the book?
2. What upsets Sam after Henny gives birth?
3. Who is Cathleen?
4. How does Henny characterize Louie's teacher?
5. Who is Saul Pilgrim?
Short Essay Questions
1. What leads up to Henny's death?
2. What does the anonymous letter Sam receives say?
3. Describe Henny's fight with Louie.
4. How has the relationship between Sam and Henny changed by the time of Cathleen's eighteenth birthday?
5. Describe Saul Pilgrim's visit in June.
6. How does Henny die?
7. Describe Henny's second visit to Bert Anderson.
8. How does Sam react when Louie tells him that she killed Henny?
9. Why doesn't Sam let Louie go when she says she wants to leave?
10. How do things come to a head with Colonel Willets and Sam?
This section contains 817 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)