|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Sam pays for ______________.
(a) The baby to be taken away.
(b) More news of Colonel Willets.
(c) The baby's needs.
(d) Bonnie to get married.
2. What is Henny's response to the events of mid summer?
(a) She feels deserted.
(b) She ignores all signs of trouble.
(c) She buckles down and begins to cut back on her expenses.
(d) She falls into a deep depression.
3. How does the narrator characterize the house Sam finds?
(a) It is a wreck.
(b) It needs work.
(c) It is splendid.
(d) It will have to be totally rebuilt.
4. What upsets Sam after Henny gives birth?
(a) There is no one to take care of the baby.
(b) Louie is taking care of the baby.
(c) She has hired a nurse.
(d) The house is full of people who have come to take care of the baby.
5. What are Louie's feelings about what she has done?
(a) She feels nothing.
(b) She is ruthless.
(c) Crushing guilt.
(d) Life will go on.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is this conclusion of the book called?
2. What does Henny finally tell Jo after Jo's ranting?
3. What news does Josephine Pollit tell?
4. What news comes at the end of the celebration at Tohoga House?
5. What is the atmosphere like at Tohoga House when Jo arrives there?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the atmosphere at the celebration for Sam's homecoming.
2. How is Henny replaced?
3. What is uncommon about Cathleen's eighteenth birthday?
4. Describe the reading of David Collyer's will.
5. How does the new baby strain the Pollit household?
6. What happens when Sam reads Louie's poetry?
7. What does Henny say about the news Jo brings?
8. How does Henny die?
9. How has the relationship between Sam and Henny changed by the time of Cathleen's eighteenth birthday?
10. How do things come to a head with Colonel Willets and Sam?
This section contains 769 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)