|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the narrator characterize the house Sam finds?
(a) It will have to be totally rebuilt.
(b) It is splendid.
(c) It needs work.
(d) It is a wreck.
2. How does Bert Anderson disappoint Henny?
(a) He tells her to count her blessings.
(b) He walks away from their conversation.
(c) He does not have money to give her.
(d) He refuses to listen to her complain.
3. What does Sam say to excuse Henny's behavior when she beats Ernie for no reason?
(a) Ernie had it coming.
(b) She didn't mean it.
(c) These things happen.
(d) It is one of her moods.
4. What does the narrator say Ernie is deeply concerned about?
5. What does Henny snap at when she is in a foul mood?
(a) Louie for being dirty.
(b) Sam for his infidelities.
(c) Tommy for mouthing off.
(d) Miss Aiden for taking care of Louie.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Henny say she wishes the children would do?
2. What does Josephine Pollit tell the family about, when she comes to visit?
3. What does Sam offer Bonnie?
4. What does the anonymous letter tell Sam?
5. Why does the Pollit family have to leave Georgetown?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is uncommon about Cathleen's eighteenth birthday?
2. What happens when Sam reads Louie's poetry?
3. Describe the opening of the crates from Sam's trip.
4. Describe Henny's stay at Hassie's house.
5. What leads up to Henny's death?
6. How does Sam react when Louie tells him that she killed Henny?
7. Describe Henny's second visit to Bert Anderson.
8. Describe Louie's experience in a new school.
9. How do things come to a head with Colonel Willets and Sam?
10. How does Henny die?
This section contains 808 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)