|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What worries Sam about leaving Henny in charge of the house while he is gone?
(a) Henny's hatred for Louie.
(b) Henny's sick father.
(c) Henny's health.
(d) Henny's irresponsibility.
2. What does Henny threaten to do if she cannot have her way with Hazel Moore?
(a) Stop working.
(b) Stop mothering.
(c) Leave Sam.
(d) Hire another person.
3. What reason does Sam give for his marriage to Henny?
(a) They were in love.
(b) A sense of honor.
(c) The marriage was arranged.
(d) Her family needed him to take care of her.
4. What 'crime' does Nellie hold against Louie?
(a) The time she took flowers from someone's yard to give a neighbor.
(b) The time she forgot her homework.
(c) The time she lost her keys.
(d) She time she got sick and needed to be taken care of.
5. Who is Henny's favorite?
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Sam contrast his relationship with the children with Henny's relationship?
2. How do Henny, Hassie, and Old Ellen characterize Barry?
3. What does Louie make for Henny when she comes home?
4. How does Sam tell Naden to address him?
5. What does Hazel Moore do to upset Henny?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Henny characterize the difference between herself and Sam?
2. What might be being foreshadowed in Chapters 3 and 4?
3. How does Henny get reprieve from the children at Tohoga House?
4. What does Henny find when she arrives at Monocacy?
5. Describe Henny's letter from her brother, Norman Collyer.
6. Describe Henny's relationship with relation to the children?
7. Describe Josephine Pollit's arrival at Tohoga House.
8. How is Louie treated in the Pollit household?
9. Describe Sam's relation to Naden.
10. Describe Louie's visit to Mrs. Kydd's house.
This section contains 875 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)