|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do Henny, Hassie, and Old Ellen characterize Barry?
(a) As irresponsible but charming.
(b) As a nuisance.
(c) As a stalwart supporter of the family.
(d) As the salt of the earth.
2. What does Sam swear to Henny?
(a) He loves her more than anything.
(b) He has never cheated on her.
(c) He has been faithful since his last lapse.
(d) His affairs don't matter to him.
3. Who is Josephine Pollit?
(a) Sam's older sister.
(b) Sam's mother.
(c) Sam's aunt.
(d) Sam's cousin.
4. How does the narrator say Henny treats Louie when she takes the children to Washington D.C. for shoes?
(a) She trusts the children to her.
(b) She insults her constantly.
(c) She fawns over her.
(d) She does not pay her any notice.
5. What is Togoha House?
(a) The Pollit's residence.
(b) The Governor's mansion.
(c) The dorm where Louie Pollit lives.
(d) Sam Pollit's workplace.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Henny's special place?
2. What is Louie's relationship with Henny?
3. What reason does Sam give for his marriage to Henny?
4. Who is Rachel?
5. What does Louie make for Henny when she comes home?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Sam's relation to Naden.
2. What is the financial state of the Pollit household?
3. What does Bert Anderson tell Henny?
4. How does the narrator describe Louie's personality?
5. Describe Josephine Pollit's arrival at Tohoga House.
6. Compare and contrast Louie with Henny's brother Barry.
7. Describe Henny's relationship with relation to the children?
8. How do the two trips, to Harper's Ferry and to Monocacy, show us different sides of Louie's character?
9. What news does Jo bring when she comes?
10. Describe Sam and Henny's conversation at the end of Chapter 4.
This section contains 829 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)