|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Sam and Henny argue about when they consider Sam's departure?
(a) Henny's hatred for Louie.
(b) An affair Henny had.
(c) Sam's affairs.
(d) Henny's incompetence about money.
2. Where is Sam Pollit?
(a) He disappeared when the children were small.
(b) At work.
(c) On an expedition.
3. What mistake has the Smithsonian made that infuriates Colonel Willets?
(a) They expected Sam and Colonel Willets to pay for their own expenses.
(b) They understood Sam to be the head of the expedition.
(c) They refused to answer any of Colonel Willets' inquiries.
(d) They misunderstood Colonel Willets' requests for more assistance, and cut his budget instead.
4. Where are the children excluded from at Monocacy?
(a) The living room.
(b) The billiard room.
(c) The parlor.
5. How old was Louie when her mother died?
(b) Six months.
(c) Eighteen months.
(d) Six years.
Short Answer Questions
1. What will Sam's heroism mean for him?
2. What does Norman Collyer tell Henny?
3. How does the narrator characterize Henny Pollit?
4. Why did Henny look very theatrical when she stared off into the distance?
5. What does Josephine Pollit tell the children?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Sam's relation to Naden.
2. What news does Jo bring to the house?
3. What happens when Sam reads Louie's poetry?
4. Compare and contrast Louie with Henny's brother Barry.
5. Describe Louie's visit to Mrs. Kydd's house.
6. What is it that upsets Sam during his homecoming celebration?
7. Describe Henny's letter from her brother, Norman Collyer.
8. How do things come to a head with Colonel Willets and Sam?
9. How has the relationship between Sam and Henny changed by the time of Cathleen's eighteenth birthday?
10. Describe Henny's relationship with relation to the children?
This section contains 828 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)