|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what way is Nellie cruel to Louie?
(a) She berates her when she makes mistakes.
(b) She accuses her of other children's mistakes.
(c) She says that she is a bastard.
(d) She pokes her.
2. How does Henny use the friend she meets in Washington D.C.?
(a) As a minister.
(b) As a comforter.
(c) As a sounding board.
(d) As a stimulant.
3. Where does Beulah live?
(a) Washington D.C.
(d) Harper's Ferry.
4. Why does Henny refuse to write to Sam?
(a) He criticizes her spelling.
(b) She is convinced he has a local lover.
(c) He gets jealous over the littlest thing.
(d) He never answers.
5. What does Henny's friend say is the crux of her problems?
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Josephine Pollit?
2. What do Sam and Henny argue about when they consider Sam's departure?
3. What do Henny and Old Ellen talk about?
4. What does Josephine Pollit tell the children?
5. Why does Henny like going to Washington D.C.?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Henny characterize the difference between herself and Sam?
2. Describe Sam's return home.
3. What does Louie do at Beulah's house?
4. How does Hazel Moore disappoint Henny?
5. What is Sam's relationship with Colonel Willets?
6. How does the narrator describe Louie's personality?
7. What news does Jo bring when she comes?
8. What does Henny complain about to Bert Anderson?
9. How does Henny get reprieve from the children at Tohoga House?
10. Describe Henny's letter from her brother, Norman Collyer.
This section contains 731 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)