|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Henny's special place?
(a) A room above the living room.
(b) A tree in the woods.
(c) A stool in the corner.
(d) Her parents' estate.
2. What is Henny's mother doing when Henny arrives at Monocacy?
3. What do Henny and Old Ellen talk about?
(a) How to stay in a bad marriage.
(b) Why couples split up.
(c) How women poison themselves.
(d) What do to about Sam's inappropriate relationship with the children.
4. What does Sam say he would like to create?
(a) A shelter for degenerates.
(b) A world run by misfits.
(c) A cure for degenerates.
(d) A world without misfits.
5. Where does Beulah live?
(b) Washington D.C.
(c) Harper's Ferry.
Short Answer Questions
1. What reason does Sam give for his marriage to Henny?
2. Why doesn't Henny do what she would like to do to Sam?
3. What do Sam and Henny argue about when they consider Sam's departure?
4. What does Nellie teach Louie?
5. What does Henny's friend say is the crux of her problems?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Louie do at Beulah's house?
2. How has the relationship between Sam and Henny changed by the time of Cathleen's eighteenth birthday?
3. Describe Sam's relation to Naden.
4. How does Henny die?
5. What might be being foreshadowed in Chapters 3 and 4?
6. What is Sam's relationship with Colonel Willets?
7. Describe the atmosphere at the celebration for Sam's homecoming.
8. How does the narrator characterize Sam's world view?
9. How do the Pollits end up in Spa House?
10. What leads up to Henny's death?
This section contains 808 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)