|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Henny like going to Washington D.C.?
(a) She can hide the fact that she is poor.
(b) She can watch the rich people and envy them.
(c) She can buy things she can't get at home.
(d) She can pretend to be rich.
2. How does Henny refer to the heart of Washington D.C.?
(a) City Center.
(b) The City.
3. Who is Archie Lessinum?
(a) Henny's cousin.
(b) A housekeeper at Monocacy.
(c) Old Ellen's son-in-law.
(d) Henny's old boyfriend.
4. What does Henny complain about?
(a) Sam's ego.
(b) The children.
(c) Living so far from town.
(d) Being poor.
5. Who is Beulah?
(a) Louie's cousin.
(b) Sam's first wife.
(c) Henny's sister.
(d) Louie's mother.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Henny say she was tricked?
2. How does Henny use the friend she meets in Washington D.C.?
3. What 'crime' does Nellie hold against Louie?
4. Why did Henny look very theatrical when she stared off into the distance?
5. What do the children do when Henny arrives home?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Sam's relation to Naden.
2. How has the relationship between Sam and Henny changed by the time of Cathleen's eighteenth birthday?
3. Describe Henny's second visit to Bert Anderson.
4. What does Sam do on account of Jo's news?
5. Describe the trip to Washington D.C. to buy shoes for the children.
6. Describe Sam and Henny's conversation at the end of Chapter 4.
7. How do the two trips, to Harper's Ferry and to Monocacy, show us different sides of Louie's character?
8. What does Henny say about the news Jo brings?
9. How do things come to a head with Colonel Willets and Sam?
10. What might be being foreshadowed in Chapters 3 and 4?
This section contains 886 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)