|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to Bonnie in the end of the book?
(a) She comes back to the house.
(b) She is institutionalized.
(c) She marries Sam.
(d) She runs away.
2. What does Louie do after confessing to her father?
(a) She goes back to school.
(b) She takes care of her siblings.
(c) She runs away.
(d) She is arrested.
3. What happens when Sam opens the crates he brought home from Malaysia?
(a) He is embarrassed to have forgotten a number of people.
(b) Everyone is thrilled with their gifts.
(c) The scene is disrupted by Henny going into labor.
(d) People are excited, but some are unhappy with their small gifts.
4. Sam pays for ______________.
(a) Bonnie to get married.
(b) More news of Colonel Willets.
(c) The baby's needs.
(d) The baby to be taken away.
5. What does Henny snap at when she is in a foul mood?
(a) Miss Aiden for taking care of Louie.
(b) Sam for his infidelities.
(c) Louie for being dirty.
(d) Tommy for mouthing off.
6. What does Henny accuse Bert Anderson of?
(a) Sleeping around.
(b) Being selfish.
(c) Secretly loving her.
(d) Hating her.
7. What does Sam think Louie's reaction will be if he reads her poetry?
(a) She will be honored.
(b) She will stop thinking of herself as so superior.
(c) She will be mortified.
(d) She will be pleased.
8. Sam and the other children make fun of Ernie for _____________.
(a) His awkwardness with girls.
(b) His weight.
(c) His foolishness.
(d) His concern about money.
9. According to the narrator, Saul Pilgrim is the only person who will ______________.
(a) Visit the Pollit house.
(b) Befriend Louie.
(c) Talk to Sam.
(d) Employ Sam.
10. What have the children become by the end of the summer?
(a) Little field biologists.
(b) Expert fishermen.
(c) Disgusted with fishing.
(d) Excellent poets.
11. Where is the house Sam finds?
(a) In a poor neighborhood.
(b) In a slum.
(c) In an apartment building.
(d) In a suburb of Baltimore.
12. What happens to Bonnie's baby?
(a) It is located.
(b) It dies.
(c) It is never found.
(d) It is adopted.
13. What does Sam say to excuse Henny's behavior when she beats Ernie for no reason?
(a) It is one of her moods.
(b) Ernie had it coming.
(c) These things happen.
(d) She didn't mean it.
14. What does Henny say she wishes the children would do?
(a) Finish their homework.
(b) Chip in on chores.
(c) Take care of themselves.
15. How does Henny escape from the house?
(a) She goes for a long walk.
(b) She goes to Washington D.C.
(c) She disappears.
(d) She locks herself in her room.
Short Answer Questions
1. What worries Henny after David Collyer's funeral?
2. What news does Josephine Pollit tell?
3. How long does Henny stay away from Spa House?
4. How do things change in the house after Sam returns home?
5. What are Louie's feelings about what she has done?
This section contains 524 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)