|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Henny take from Ernie?
(a) His set of keys.
(b) Her old coins.
(c) His savings.
(d) His lead.
2. What do the twins tell Sam about Ernie?
(a) He has been saving receipts.
(b) He has been taking economics courses.
(c) He has been saving money.
(d) He has been collecting lead.
3. What happens to Bonnie in the end of the book?
(a) She marries Sam.
(b) She is institutionalized.
(c) She runs away.
(d) She comes back to the house.
4. What does the narrator say Ernie is deeply concerned about?
5. How long does Henny stay away from Spa House?
(a) Ten days.
(b) An afternoon.
(c) A week.
(d) Two days.
6. What does Henny finally tell Jo after Jo's ranting?
(a) Jo should be punished for spreading the news of Bonnie's misfortune.
(b) Jo is no one to talk.
(c) None of them are any better than cheats, liars or whores.
(d) Bonnie should be punished.
7. Sam and the other children make fun of Ernie for _____________.
(a) His foolishness.
(b) His concern about money.
(c) His awkwardness with girls.
(d) His weight.
8. Where does Louie go?
(a) Her mother's family in Harper's Ferry.
(b) To live with Miss Aiden.
(c) Washington D.C.
9. What had Sam brought back from Malaysia in the crates?
(a) Books and illustrations.
(b) Small animals and biological samples.
(c) Vases and silks.
(d) Trinkets and worthless things.
10. How does Sam anger Colonel Willets?
(a) By claiming everything as his own work.
(b) By refusing to tell Colonel Willets about funding opportunities.
(c) By responding pleasantly to his rudeness.
(d) By working so hard that no one else needs to contribute much.
11. What is Jo's main concern regarding Bonnie?
(a) She will need money.
(b) She will need round-the-clock care.
(c) She will do this again.
(d) She will have to live with her.
12. Who is Saul Pilgrim?
(a) Sam's old friend.
(b) Colonel Willets' inspector.
(c) Louie's friend in Harper's Ferry.
(d) Henny's confidante.
13. Where is the house Sam finds?
(a) In a slum.
(b) In an apartment building.
(c) In a poor neighborhood.
(d) In a suburb of Baltimore.
14. What happens when Sam opens the crates he brought home from Malaysia?
(a) He is embarrassed to have forgotten a number of people.
(b) People are excited, but some are unhappy with their small gifts.
(c) The scene is disrupted by Henny going into labor.
(d) Everyone is thrilled with their gifts.
15. Why does Sam dislike alcohol in his house?
(a) His religion prohibits alcohol.
(b) It clouds the mind.
(c) It makes people unruly and rebellious against him.
(d) He was an alcoholic once.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do things change in the house after Sam returns home?
2. What upsets Sam after Henny gives birth?
3. What does Sam offer Bonnie?
4. Henny threatens Sam with _________.
5. What does Saul Pilgrim tell Sam?
This section contains 546 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)