|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Sam warns Louie about ________.
2. What does Sam say about Ernie's character?
(a) He has gone rotten.
(b) His morals have disimproved.
(c) He has lost his senses.
(d) He has matured.
3. How has the trip changed Sam?
(a) He is more restrained.
(b) He is more optimistic.
(c) He drinks more.
(d) He is more expressive.
4. What had Sam brought back from Malaysia in the crates?
(a) Books and illustrations.
(b) Small animals and biological samples.
(c) Vases and silks.
(d) Trinkets and worthless things.
5. What does Sam propose to Bonnie?
(a) She should marry the baby's father.
(b) She should move away.
(c) She should move into Spa House.
(d) She should be institutionalized.
6. Sam tells Bonnie _________________.
(a) About Jo's affairs.
(b) About her baby.
(c) About Henny's death.
(d) About his financial problems.
7. What does Sam say to excuse Henny's behavior when she beats Ernie for no reason?
(a) It is one of her moods.
(b) She didn't mean it.
(c) Ernie had it coming.
(d) These things happen.
8. What does Louie see when she looks into Henny's room?
(a) Henny standing over Sam with a razor in her hand.
(b) Henny beating Sam.
(c) Sam sitting with his head in his hands and Henny ranting.
(d) Sam and Henny talking softly.
9. What does Louie tell Sam about Henny's death?
(a) She didn't know how it happened.
(b) She killed herself.
(c) It was an accident.
(d) Louie killed her.
10. What is Henny's response to the events of mid summer?
(a) She ignores all signs of trouble.
(b) She falls into a deep depression.
(c) She feels deserted.
(d) She buckles down and begins to cut back on her expenses.
11. Sam and the other children make fun of Ernie for _____________.
(a) His foolishness.
(b) His awkwardness with girls.
(c) His weight.
(d) His concern about money.
12. What does the Pollit family begin to prepare for after the homecoming celebration?
(a) Louie's graduation party.
(b) Henny's new baby.
(c) Sam's next departure.
(d) David Collyer's funeral.
13. What does Ernie admire in his secret money box?
(a) A set of old keys.
(b) His savings.
(c) Henny's foreign coins.
(d) His collection of lead.
14. Who is Cathleen?
(a) Hassie's only daughter.
(b) Josephine Pollit's daughter.
(c) Hazel Moore's daughter.
(d) Henny's new maid.
15. What happens to Louie in her first days in high school?
(a) She sinks.
(b) She blossoms.
(c) She fades.
(d) She implodes.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Saul Pilgrim?
2. Sam pays for ______________.
3. Why does Sam say he can't let Louie go?
4. What does Henny finally tell Jo after Jo's ranting?
5. What does Sam say when Louie confesses to him?
This section contains 494 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)