|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Sam dislike alcohol in his house?
(a) His religion prohibits alcohol.
(b) It clouds the mind.
(c) It makes people unruly and rebellious against him.
(d) He was an alcoholic once.
2. Who is Saul Pilgrim?
(a) Colonel Willets' inspector.
(b) Louie's friend in Harper's Ferry.
(c) Sam's old friend.
(d) Henny's confidante.
3. How does Henny leave her argument with Bert Anderson?
(a) She severs the friendship.
(b) She tells Bert that she doesn't want to hear from him until he apologizes.
(c) She takes some time to think about things.
(d) She repairs the conversation.
4. What makes Sam furious after the reading of the will?
(a) David Collyer hadn't spoken to him about his will before he died.
(b) Almost all the property will have to be sold.
(c) Henny was overlooked like she was.
(d) His plans for further expeditions will have to be delayed.
5. What news does Josephine Pollit tell?
(a) Colonel Willets had been demoted.
(b) Bonnie had fallen in love.
(c) Bonnie had a baby.
(d) Bonnie had another affair.
6. What does Louie see when she looks into Henny's room?
(a) Henny beating Sam.
(b) Sam and Henny talking softly.
(c) Henny standing over Sam with a razor in her hand.
(d) Sam sitting with his head in his hands and Henny ranting.
7. Who is Cathleen?
(a) Henny's new maid.
(b) Hazel Moore's daughter.
(c) Josephine Pollit's daughter.
(d) Hassie's only daughter.
8. How does Sam anger Colonel Willets?
(a) By working so hard that no one else needs to contribute much.
(b) By responding pleasantly to his rudeness.
(c) By claiming everything as his own work.
(d) By refusing to tell Colonel Willets about funding opportunities.
9. What is the state of Sam and Henny's relationship when Henny is making a gift for Cathleen?
(a) It's not clear to either of them, what with the move.
(b) It's the same as it ever was.
(c) It's disintegrated.
(d) It's healthier.
10. What happens to Louie in her first days in high school?
(a) She fades.
(b) She implodes.
(c) She blossoms.
(d) She sinks.
11. How does Clare approach her poverty?
(a) By shrinking inside herself.
(b) By apologizing all the time.
(c) By letting people walk all over her.
(d) By laughing at it.
12. How do things change in the house after Sam returns home?
(a) Sam spends a lot of time writing letters.
(b) Henny moves out.
(c) Sam moves in all of his Eastern furniture.
(d) Everything in the house gets a new Malay name.
13. What does Louie do after confessing to her father?
(a) She goes back to school.
(b) She runs away.
(c) She is arrested.
(d) She takes care of her siblings.
14. How does the narrator characterize the relationship between Sam and Colonel Willets?
(a) Colonel Willets loathes Sam's intellectual background.
(b) Colonel Willets resents Sam's easy-going personality.
(c) Colonel Willets simply doesn't like Sam.
(d) Colonel Willets is afraid of Sam's ambition.
15. What news comes at the end of the celebration at Tohoga House?
(a) Archie Lessinum is dead.
(b) Louie is missing.
(c) David Collyer is dead.
(d) Josephine Pollit is dead.
Short Answer Questions
1. Sam pays for ______________.
2. What happens to Bonnie's baby?
3. How does Henny escape from the house?
4. What worries Henny after David Collyer's funeral?
5. Sam and the other children make fun of Ernie for _____________.
This section contains 586 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)