|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the narrator characterize Hassie's house?
2. What is Louie's reaction when Sam reads her poetry?
(a) She is glad that her work is finally being heard.
(b) She is glad to set a good example for her siblings.
(c) She is irritated, but not bothered much.
(d) She is furious for the invasion of privacy.
3. What is Sam's response to this event?
(a) He is determined to enjoy the summer.
(b) He rants and raves about the injustice of it.
(c) He starts looking for work immediately.
(d) He consumes himself in preparing to present his case.
4. How does Henny react to the news about her father's will?
(a) She wants to move out immediately.
(b) She wants to talk to her siblings to see what can be done.
(c) She doesn't respond at all.
(d) She wants no part of finding a new place.
5. What news comes at the end of the celebration at Tohoga House?
(a) Louie is missing.
(b) Josephine Pollit is dead.
(c) David Collyer is dead.
(d) Archie Lessinum is dead.
6. What does Henny take from Ernie?
(a) Her old coins.
(b) His set of keys.
(c) His lead.
(d) His savings.
7. What does the anonymous letter tell Sam?
(a) Louie is not his daughter.
(b) He will not be starting his new job as he thought.
(c) Charles-Franklin is not his son.
(d) Henny has been taking lovers.
8. What worries Henny after David Collyer's funeral?
(a) When they will be evicted.
(b) How she will get through the summer without Louie or Hazel Moore.
(c) Who she can ask for money.
(d) Where they will get money from.
9. What is this conclusion of the book called?
(a) The falling action.
(b) The denouement.
(c) The climax.
(d) The rising action.
10. Who is Saul Pilgrim?
(a) Sam's old friend.
(b) Louie's friend in Harper's Ferry.
(c) Colonel Willets' inspector.
(d) Henny's confidante.
11. What does Louie tell Sam about Henny's death?
(a) It was an accident.
(b) She killed herself.
(c) Louie killed her.
(d) She didn't know how it happened.
12. How does Henny escape from the house?
(a) She goes to Washington D.C.
(b) She disappears.
(c) She locks herself in her room.
(d) She goes for a long walk.
13. What does Sam say to excuse Henny's behavior when she beats Ernie for no reason?
(a) Ernie had it coming.
(b) It is one of her moods.
(c) She didn't mean it.
(d) These things happen.
14. What is Jo's main concern regarding Bonnie?
(a) She will have to live with her.
(b) She will need round-the-clock care.
(c) She will need money.
(d) She will do this again.
15. How does Bert Anderson disappoint Henny?
(a) He walks away from their conversation.
(b) He tells her to count her blessings.
(c) He refuses to listen to her complain.
(d) He does not have money to give her.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Sam anger Colonel Willets?
2. According to the narrator, Saul Pilgrim is the only person who will ______________.
3. Bonnie keeps asking ______________.
4. Where does Louie go?
5. What does Sam think Louie's reaction will be if he reads her poetry?
This section contains 564 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)