|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What upsets Sam after Henny gives birth?
(a) Louie is taking care of the baby.
(b) The house is full of people who have come to take care of the baby.
(c) She has hired a nurse.
(d) There is no one to take care of the baby.
2. Why does Sam say he can't let Louie go?
(a) He needs her income.
(b) He can't afford to let her go.
(c) He has too many burdens.
(d) He needs her to stay.
3. Henny threatens Sam with _________.
(a) Killing him.
(c) Kicking him out.
(d) Hurting Louie or Ernie.
4. Louie says Spa House is filled with __________________.
5. What does Josephine Pollit carry on about?
(a) The justice of retribution on Colonel Willets.
(b) The strain a new baby will place on the family finances.
(c) The disrepute Bonnie has brought to the family.
(d) The beauty of the new baby.
6. What is Sam's status in terms of work, in Chapter 9?
(a) He is still not working, but has a promise of work.
(b) He has a new job.
(c) He is still looking for work.
(d) He has been told that he is unemployable.
7. What does Sam say about Ernie's character?
(a) He has lost his senses.
(b) He has gone rotten.
(c) He has matured.
(d) His morals have disimproved.
8. How does Henny leave her argument with Bert Anderson?
(a) She takes some time to think about things.
(b) She tells Bert that she doesn't want to hear from him until he apologizes.
(c) She repairs the conversation.
(d) She severs the friendship.
9. What does Louie tell Sam about Henny's death?
(a) It was an accident.
(b) She didn't know how it happened.
(c) Louie killed her.
(d) She killed herself.
10. Sam and the other children make fun of Ernie for _____________.
(a) His awkwardness with girls.
(b) His concern about money.
(c) His weight.
(d) His foolishness.
11. What has Henny begun to do in front of the children?
(a) Humiliate Sam.
(b) Belittle Sam.
(c) Talk about her infidelities.
(d) Kiss Sam.
12. How does the narrator say Henny's moods change?
(a) They become more vile.
(b) They become more changeable.
(c) They mellow.
(d) They become angrier.
13. According to the narrator, Saul Pilgrim is the only person who will ______________.
(a) Visit the Pollit house.
(b) Talk to Sam.
(c) Befriend Louie.
(d) Employ Sam.
14. What makes Sam furious after the reading of the will?
(a) David Collyer hadn't spoken to him about his will before he died.
(b) His plans for further expeditions will have to be delayed.
(c) Almost all the property will have to be sold.
(d) Henny was overlooked like she was.
15. What do Sam and Henny discover when David Collyer's will is read?
(a) Henny was specifically written out of the will.
(b) He was broke.
(c) Everything was left to Henny's siblings.
(d) David Collyer left it all to charity.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Henny accuse Bert Anderson of?
2. What happens to Sam in mid-summer?
3. How does Henny characterize Louie's teacher?
4. Why does Sam challenge Louie to write poetry?
5. What do Louie's siblings taunt her about?
This section contains 551 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)