|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the narrator characterize the house Sam finds?
(a) It is splendid.
(b) It will have to be totally rebuilt.
(c) It is a wreck.
(d) It needs work.
2. Where is the house Sam finds?
(a) In a slum.
(b) In a suburb of Baltimore.
(c) In an apartment building.
(d) In a poor neighborhood.
3. Louie says Spa House is filled with __________________.
4. What is Henny's response to the events of mid summer?
(a) She falls into a deep depression.
(b) She feels deserted.
(c) She buckles down and begins to cut back on her expenses.
(d) She ignores all signs of trouble.
5. What had Sam brought back from Malaysia in the crates?
(a) Vases and silks.
(b) Small animals and biological samples.
(c) Books and illustrations.
(d) Trinkets and worthless things.
6. Where does Louie go?
(b) Washington D.C.
(c) To live with Miss Aiden.
(d) Her mother's family in Harper's Ferry.
7. Now that we have read the ending, the book's title 'The Man Who Loved Children' could be seen __________.
(a) As sympathetic.
(b) As ironic.
(c) As metaphorical.
(d) As allegorical.
8. What does Cathleen love more than anything?
9. What does Sam say about Louie ever leaving?
(a) He says that she can go whenever she likes.
(b) He says that if she wants to leave, she will have to pay her own way.
(c) He says she can never leave him.
(d) He says if she tries to leave he will kill her.
10. What do the twins tell Sam about Ernie?
(a) He has been saving money.
(b) He has been collecting lead.
(c) He has been taking economics courses.
(d) He has been saving receipts.
11. How does Henny characterize Louie's teacher?
(a) Salt of the earth.
12. What is Sam's status in terms of work, in Chapter 9?
(a) He is still looking for work.
(b) He has been told that he is unemployable.
(c) He has a new job.
(d) He is still not working, but has a promise of work.
13. What does Henny snap at when she is in a foul mood?
(a) Louie for being dirty.
(b) Miss Aiden for taking care of Louie.
(c) Sam for his infidelities.
(d) Tommy for mouthing off.
14. What is Sam's response to this event?
(a) He consumes himself in preparing to present his case.
(b) He is determined to enjoy the summer.
(c) He starts looking for work immediately.
(d) He rants and raves about the injustice of it.
15. How does the narrator characterize the relationship between Sam and Colonel Willets?
(a) Colonel Willets simply doesn't like Sam.
(b) Colonel Willets loathes Sam's intellectual background.
(c) Colonel Willets resents Sam's easy-going personality.
(d) Colonel Willets is afraid of Sam's ambition.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do things change in the house after Sam returns home?
2. Sam warns Louie about ________.
3. How long does Henny stay away from Spa House?
4. What is Jo's main concern regarding Bonnie?
5. What does Josephine Pollit carry on about?
This section contains 546 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)