|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long does Henny stay away from Spa House?
(a) An afternoon.
(b) Ten days.
(c) A week.
(d) Two days.
2. What does Louie see when she looks into Henny's room?
(a) Sam sitting with his head in his hands and Henny ranting.
(b) Sam and Henny talking softly.
(c) Henny standing over Sam with a razor in her hand.
(d) Henny beating Sam.
3. What is Sam's response to this event?
(a) He consumes himself in preparing to present his case.
(b) He rants and raves about the injustice of it.
(c) He starts looking for work immediately.
(d) He is determined to enjoy the summer.
4. Why does Sam say he can't let Louie go?
(a) He can't afford to let her go.
(b) He has too many burdens.
(c) He needs her income.
(d) He needs her to stay.
5. What does the anonymous letter tell Sam?
(a) He will not be starting his new job as he thought.
(b) Charles-Franklin is not his son.
(c) Henny has been taking lovers.
(d) Louie is not his daughter.
6. How does Sam anger Colonel Willets?
(a) By working so hard that no one else needs to contribute much.
(b) By responding pleasantly to his rudeness.
(c) By refusing to tell Colonel Willets about funding opportunities.
(d) By claiming everything as his own work.
7. What have the children become by the end of the summer?
(a) Expert fishermen.
(b) Excellent poets.
(c) Disgusted with fishing.
(d) Little field biologists.
8. What does Sam say when Louie confesses to him?
(a) She did the right thing.
(b) He does not believe her.
(c) He was going to do it himself.
(d) He has to report her.
9. How does the narrator characterize the relationship between Sam and Colonel Willets?
(a) Colonel Willets is afraid of Sam's ambition.
(b) Colonel Willets resents Sam's easy-going personality.
(c) Colonel Willets loathes Sam's intellectual background.
(d) Colonel Willets simply doesn't like Sam.
10. What does Sam propose to Bonnie?
(a) She should be institutionalized.
(b) She should move away.
(c) She should move into Spa House.
(d) She should marry the baby's father.
11. What does Sam say to excuse Henny's behavior when she beats Ernie for no reason?
(a) She didn't mean it.
(b) It is one of her moods.
(c) These things happen.
(d) Ernie had it coming.
12. How does Henny escape from the house?
(a) She goes to Washington D.C.
(b) She locks herself in her room.
(c) She disappears.
(d) She goes for a long walk.
13. What happens to Louie in her first days in high school?
(a) She implodes.
(b) She sinks.
(c) She blossoms.
(d) She fades.
14. What does Saul Pilgrim talk about when he comes to visit?
15. What does Sam think Louie's reaction will be if he reads her poetry?
(a) She will be pleased.
(b) She will stop thinking of herself as so superior.
(c) She will be honored.
(d) She will be mortified.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Louie put in Henny's tea?
2. Sam warns Louie about ________.
3. How do things change in the house after Sam returns home?
4. Who is Cathleen?
5. What upsets Sam after Henny gives birth?
This section contains 557 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)