|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the narrator, Saul Pilgrim is the only person who will ______________.
(a) Befriend Louie.
(b) Visit the Pollit house.
(c) Talk to Sam.
(d) Employ Sam.
2. What happens to Louie in her first days in high school?
(a) She blossoms.
(b) She fades.
(c) She implodes.
(d) She sinks.
3. How does Henny escape from the house?
(a) She disappears.
(b) She goes for a long walk.
(c) She locks herself in her room.
(d) She goes to Washington D.C.
4. What does the narrator say is clear has happened since Henny left Tohoga House?
(a) She has resigned herself to her life.
(b) She has learned to accept things with humor.
(c) She has aged.
(d) She has matured.
5. What does Josephine Pollit carry on about?
(a) The justice of retribution on Colonel Willets.
(b) The strain a new baby will place on the family finances.
(c) The beauty of the new baby.
(d) The disrepute Bonnie has brought to the family.
6. What does Louie tell Sam about Henny's death?
(a) She killed herself.
(b) Louie killed her.
(c) She didn't know how it happened.
(d) It was an accident.
7. What had Sam brought back from Malaysia in the crates?
(a) Vases and silks.
(b) Small animals and biological samples.
(c) Trinkets and worthless things.
(d) Books and illustrations.
8. Why does Sam say he can't let Louie go?
(a) He needs her income.
(b) He needs her to stay.
(c) He has too many burdens.
(d) He can't afford to let her go.
9. What does Saul Pilgrim tell Sam?
(a) To be careful.
(b) To go over Colonel Willets' head.
(c) To go after Colonel Willets.
(d) To look for new work.
10. Sam pays for ______________.
(a) The baby to be taken away.
(b) The baby's needs.
(c) Bonnie to get married.
(d) More news of Colonel Willets.
11. What happens to Bonnie in the end of the book?
(a) She comes back to the house.
(b) She marries Sam.
(c) She runs away.
(d) She is institutionalized.
12. Why doesn't Sam tell Henny this news?
(a) She is about to go into labor.
(b) He is saving it for the right moment.
(c) She will ruin the party.
(d) She doesn't want to know it.
13. How has the trip changed Sam?
(a) He is more expressive.
(b) He drinks more.
(c) He is more optimistic.
(d) He is more restrained.
14. What does Sam think Louie's reaction will be if he reads her poetry?
(a) She will stop thinking of herself as so superior.
(b) She will be honored.
(c) She will be mortified.
(d) She will be pleased.
15. What does Louie see when she looks into Henny's room?
(a) Sam and Henny talking softly.
(b) Henny beating Sam.
(c) Sam sitting with his head in his hands and Henny ranting.
(d) Henny standing over Sam with a razor in her hand.
Short Answer Questions
1. Louie says Spa House is filled with __________________.
2. Why does Sam challenge Louie to write poetry?
3. What is this conclusion of the book called?
4. How does the narrator characterize the relationship between Sam and Colonel Willets?
5. What upsets Sam after Henny gives birth?
This section contains 571 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)