|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is the house Sam finds?
(a) In a poor neighborhood.
(b) In a slum.
(c) In an apartment building.
(d) In a suburb of Baltimore.
2. Where does Louie go?
(a) Washington D.C.
(b) To live with Miss Aiden.
(d) Her mother's family in Harper's Ferry.
3. What does Sam get the children excited about?
(a) The possibility of a big job.
(b) A large fish.
(c) The fantasy of living in a big house.
(d) A deer.
4. What is the atmosphere like at Tohoga House when Jo arrives there?
5. What does the anonymous letter tell Sam?
(a) Henny has been taking lovers.
(b) He will not be starting his new job as he thought.
(c) Charles-Franklin is not his son.
(d) Louie is not his daughter.
6. Why does Sam dislike alcohol in his house?
(a) It clouds the mind.
(b) He was an alcoholic once.
(c) His religion prohibits alcohol.
(d) It makes people unruly and rebellious against him.
7. What makes Sam furious after the reading of the will?
(a) Henny was overlooked like she was.
(b) Almost all the property will have to be sold.
(c) His plans for further expeditions will have to be delayed.
(d) David Collyer hadn't spoken to him about his will before he died.
8. How does Henny react to the news about her father's will?
(a) She doesn't respond at all.
(b) She wants to talk to her siblings to see what can be done.
(c) She wants no part of finding a new place.
(d) She wants to move out immediately.
9. How do things change in the house after Sam returns home?
(a) Everything in the house gets a new Malay name.
(b) Henny moves out.
(c) Sam moves in all of his Eastern furniture.
(d) Sam spends a lot of time writing letters.
10. What upsets Sam after Henny gives birth?
(a) She has hired a nurse.
(b) The house is full of people who have come to take care of the baby.
(c) Louie is taking care of the baby.
(d) There is no one to take care of the baby.
11. Who is Cathleen?
(a) Henny's new maid.
(b) Hazel Moore's daughter.
(c) Josephine Pollit's daughter.
(d) Hassie's only daughter.
12. What does Henny snap at when she is in a foul mood?
(a) Tommy for mouthing off.
(b) Louie for being dirty.
(c) Sam for his infidelities.
(d) Miss Aiden for taking care of Louie.
13. What news does Josephine Pollit tell?
(a) Bonnie had a baby.
(b) Colonel Willets had been demoted.
(c) Bonnie had fallen in love.
(d) Bonnie had another affair.
14. What does Louie put in Henny's tea?
(c) Engine coolant.
15. How has the trip changed Sam?
(a) He drinks more.
(b) He is more optimistic.
(c) He is more expressive.
(d) He is more restrained.
Short Answer Questions
1. Now that we have read the ending, the book's title 'The Man Who Loved Children' could be seen __________.
2. What does Louie do after confessing to her father?
3. What is this conclusion of the book called?
4. What does the narrator say Ernie is deeply concerned about?
5. How does the narrator characterize Hassie's house?
This section contains 518 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)