|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Sam's status in terms of work, in Chapter 9?
(a) He has been told that he is unemployable.
(b) He has a new job.
(c) He is still looking for work.
(d) He is still not working, but has a promise of work.
2. How does Clare approach her poverty?
(a) By shrinking inside herself.
(b) By letting people walk all over her.
(c) By apologizing all the time.
(d) By laughing at it.
3. Where is the house Sam finds?
(a) In a suburb of Baltimore.
(b) In an apartment building.
(c) In a poor neighborhood.
(d) In a slum.
4. How does Sam anger Colonel Willets?
(a) By responding pleasantly to his rudeness.
(b) By refusing to tell Colonel Willets about funding opportunities.
(c) By claiming everything as his own work.
(d) By working so hard that no one else needs to contribute much.
5. How does Henny leave her argument with Bert Anderson?
(a) She tells Bert that she doesn't want to hear from him until he apologizes.
(b) She severs the friendship.
(c) She takes some time to think about things.
(d) She repairs the conversation.
6. How long does Henny stay away from Spa House?
(a) A week.
(b) An afternoon.
(c) Two days.
(d) Ten days.
7. What happens when Sam opens the crates he brought home from Malaysia?
(a) People are excited, but some are unhappy with their small gifts.
(b) The scene is disrupted by Henny going into labor.
(c) Everyone is thrilled with their gifts.
(d) He is embarrassed to have forgotten a number of people.
8. Why does the Pollit family have to leave Georgetown?
(a) It is too expensive.
(b) They have too many debts there.
(c) They are following Sam to a new appointment.
(d) They are no longer welcome there.
9. What does Sam get the children excited about?
(a) The fantasy of living in a big house.
(b) A deer.
(c) The possibility of a big job.
(d) A large fish.
10. What does Henny finally tell Jo after Jo's ranting?
(a) Bonnie should be punished.
(b) None of them are any better than cheats, liars or whores.
(c) Jo should be punished for spreading the news of Bonnie's misfortune.
(d) Jo is no one to talk.
11. How do things change in the house after Sam returns home?
(a) Everything in the house gets a new Malay name.
(b) Sam moves in all of his Eastern furniture.
(c) Sam spends a lot of time writing letters.
(d) Henny moves out.
12. What has Henny begun to do in front of the children?
(a) Kiss Sam.
(b) Talk about her infidelities.
(c) Belittle Sam.
(d) Humiliate Sam.
13. What does Cathleen love more than anything?
14. Why does Sam challenge Louie to write poetry?
(a) He knew it would make Henny furious.
(b) He learned to write poems in Malaysia.
(c) He wanted to give her an assignment she would fail at.
(d) Jo had published a poem in the paper.
15. What are Louie's feelings about what she has done?
(a) She is ruthless.
(b) She feels nothing.
(c) Crushing guilt.
(d) Life will go on.
Short Answer Questions
1. What news does Josephine Pollit tell?
2. Why does Sam dislike alcohol in his house?
3. Where does Louie go?
4. What is Louie's reaction when Sam reads her poetry?
5. How has the trip changed Sam?
This section contains 604 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)