|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Henny's response to the events of mid summer?
(a) She buckles down and begins to cut back on her expenses.
(b) She feels deserted.
(c) She falls into a deep depression.
(d) She ignores all signs of trouble.
2. Now that we have read the ending, the book's title 'The Man Who Loved Children' could be seen __________.
(a) As metaphorical.
(b) As allegorical.
(c) As ironic.
(d) As sympathetic.
3. How does the narrator characterize Hassie's house?
4. What has Henny begun to do in front of the children?
(a) Talk about her infidelities.
(b) Humiliate Sam.
(c) Belittle Sam.
(d) Kiss Sam.
5. What is Jo's main concern regarding Bonnie?
(a) She will do this again.
(b) She will need money.
(c) She will have to live with her.
(d) She will need round-the-clock care.
6. Why does Sam say he can't let Louie go?
(a) He needs her income.
(b) He needs her to stay.
(c) He can't afford to let her go.
(d) He has too many burdens.
7. What is Henny's response when Sam confronts her?
(a) She has every right to have affairs, considering his infidelities.
(b) He is a worthless person, who has no right to accuse her.
(c) She would never have betrayed him, even in spite of his infidelities.
(d) She knows who wrote the letter.
8. How does Bert Anderson disappoint Henny?
(a) He does not have money to give her.
(b) He tells her to count her blessings.
(c) He refuses to listen to her complain.
(d) He walks away from their conversation.
9. Who is Cathleen?
(a) Hassie's only daughter.
(b) Hazel Moore's daughter.
(c) Henny's new maid.
(d) Josephine Pollit's daughter.
10. What does Josephine Pollit carry on about?
(a) The disrepute Bonnie has brought to the family.
(b) The beauty of the new baby.
(c) The justice of retribution on Colonel Willets.
(d) The strain a new baby will place on the family finances.
11. What does Saul Pilgrim talk about when he comes to visit?
12. Why does the Pollit family have to leave Georgetown?
(a) They are no longer welcome there.
(b) It is too expensive.
(c) They are following Sam to a new appointment.
(d) They have too many debts there.
13. What do Sam and Henny discover when David Collyer's will is read?
(a) Henny was specifically written out of the will.
(b) He was broke.
(c) David Collyer left it all to charity.
(d) Everything was left to Henny's siblings.
14. What does Louie tell her father she wants to do?
(a) Kill him.
(b) Kill herself.
(c) Kill Henny.
(d) Leave Spa House.
15. What does Sam say to excuse Henny's behavior when she beats Ernie for no reason?
(a) These things happen.
(b) Ernie had it coming.
(c) She didn't mean it.
(d) It is one of her moods.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Sam challenge Louie to write poetry?
2. Who is Saul Pilgrim?
3. What does Cathleen love more than anything?
4. Where is the house Sam finds?
5. What does Louie see when she looks into Henny's room?
This section contains 553 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)