|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Louie do after confessing to her father?
(a) She is arrested.
(b) She goes back to school.
(c) She runs away.
(d) She takes care of her siblings.
2. Bonnie keeps asking ______________.
(a) To return home.
(b) To see a nurse.
(c) About the baby's father.
(d) For her baby.
3. Why does Sam challenge Louie to write poetry?
(a) Jo had published a poem in the paper.
(b) He learned to write poems in Malaysia.
(c) He knew it would make Henny furious.
(d) He wanted to give her an assignment she would fail at.
4. What does Henny finally tell Jo after Jo's ranting?
(a) Jo should be punished for spreading the news of Bonnie's misfortune.
(b) None of them are any better than cheats, liars or whores.
(c) Jo is no one to talk.
(d) Bonnie should be punished.
5. Sam and the other children make fun of Ernie for _____________.
(a) His foolishness.
(b) His concern about money.
(c) His weight.
(d) His awkwardness with girls.
6. How does Clare approach her poverty?
(a) By laughing at it.
(b) By letting people walk all over her.
(c) By shrinking inside herself.
(d) By apologizing all the time.
7. What does Sam get the children excited about?
(a) A large fish.
(b) A deer.
(c) The possibility of a big job.
(d) The fantasy of living in a big house.
8. What had Sam brought back from Malaysia in the crates?
(a) Trinkets and worthless things.
(b) Small animals and biological samples.
(c) Books and illustrations.
(d) Vases and silks.
9. What does Henny accuse Bert Anderson of?
(a) Being selfish.
(b) Secretly loving her.
(c) Sleeping around.
(d) Hating her.
10. What does Cathleen love more than anything?
11. What does Sam say about Ernie's character?
(a) He has gone rotten.
(b) His morals have disimproved.
(c) He has lost his senses.
(d) He has matured.
12. Who is Cathleen?
(a) Hassie's only daughter.
(b) Henny's new maid.
(c) Hazel Moore's daughter.
(d) Josephine Pollit's daughter.
13. What news comes at the end of the celebration at Tohoga House?
(a) Josephine Pollit is dead.
(b) David Collyer is dead.
(c) Louie is missing.
(d) Archie Lessinum is dead.
14. What happens to Bonnie in the end of the book?
(a) She marries Sam.
(b) She is institutionalized.
(c) She runs away.
(d) She comes back to the house.
15. What does Saul Pilgrim tell Sam?
(a) To go over Colonel Willets' head.
(b) To go after Colonel Willets.
(c) To look for new work.
(d) To be careful.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Henny's response to the events of mid summer?
2. What do Louie's siblings taunt her about?
3. How does the narrator say Henny's moods change?
4. What makes Sam furious after the reading of the will?
5. What does Henny take from Ernie?
This section contains 512 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)