|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Bert Anderson disappoint Henny?
(a) He tells her to count her blessings.
(b) He refuses to listen to her complain.
(c) He walks away from their conversation.
(d) He does not have money to give her.
2. What makes Sam furious after the reading of the will?
(a) Henny was overlooked like she was.
(b) David Collyer hadn't spoken to him about his will before he died.
(c) Almost all the property will have to be sold.
(d) His plans for further expeditions will have to be delayed.
3. The boys think a marlin is a ___________.
(d) Shady deal.
4. What does Sam say about Louie ever leaving?
(a) He says that if she wants to leave, she will have to pay her own way.
(b) He says she can never leave him.
(c) He says if she tries to leave he will kill her.
(d) He says that she can go whenever she likes.
5. What do the twins tell Sam about Ernie?
(a) He has been saving receipts.
(b) He has been collecting lead.
(c) He has been taking economics courses.
(d) He has been saving money.
6. Who is Cathleen?
(a) Josephine Pollit's daughter.
(b) Hazel Moore's daughter.
(c) Henny's new maid.
(d) Hassie's only daughter.
7. What is Sam's response to this event?
(a) He starts looking for work immediately.
(b) He consumes himself in preparing to present his case.
(c) He is determined to enjoy the summer.
(d) He rants and raves about the injustice of it.
8. Where is the house Sam finds?
(a) In a slum.
(b) In a suburb of Baltimore.
(c) In a poor neighborhood.
(d) In an apartment building.
9. What does Louie put in Henny's tea?
(a) Engine coolant.
10. What does Louie tell her father she wants to do?
(a) Kill Henny.
(b) Kill him.
(c) Kill herself.
(d) Leave Spa House.
11. What is this conclusion of the book called?
(a) The denouement.
(b) The rising action.
(c) The climax.
(d) The falling action.
12. How does the narrator characterize Hassie's house?
13. What does Henny accuse Bert Anderson of?
(a) Hating her.
(b) Secretly loving her.
(c) Being selfish.
(d) Sleeping around.
14. What does the anonymous letter tell Sam?
(a) He will not be starting his new job as he thought.
(b) Henny has been taking lovers.
(c) Louie is not his daughter.
(d) Charles-Franklin is not his son.
15. What news comes at the end of the celebration at Tohoga House?
(a) Archie Lessinum is dead.
(b) David Collyer is dead.
(c) Louie is missing.
(d) Josephine Pollit is dead.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Henny's response to the events of mid summer?
2. What does Henny take from Ernie?
3. How does the narrator say Henny's moods change?
4. Sam and the other children make fun of Ernie for _____________.
5. How has the trip changed Sam?
This section contains 501 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)