|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Sam challenge Louie to write poetry?
(a) He knew it would make Henny furious.
(b) He learned to write poems in Malaysia.
(c) He wanted to give her an assignment she would fail at.
(d) Jo had published a poem in the paper.
2. What is the state of Sam and Henny's relationship when Henny is making a gift for Cathleen?
(a) It's healthier.
(b) It's the same as it ever was.
(c) It's disintegrated.
(d) It's not clear to either of them, what with the move.
3. What does Bonnie tell Sam?
(a) She wants to die.
(b) She will never see the baby's father.
(c) She will marry him.
(d) She will get married.
4. What embarrasses Louie about going to school?
(a) Her immaturity.
(b) Her complete lack of family support.
(c) Her ignorance.
(d) Her hand-me-downs.
5. What does Ernie admire in his secret money box?
(a) A set of old keys.
(b) His savings.
(c) Henny's foreign coins.
(d) His collection of lead.
6. What does Henny snap at when she is in a foul mood?
(a) Sam for his infidelities.
(b) Miss Aiden for taking care of Louie.
(c) Louie for being dirty.
(d) Tommy for mouthing off.
7. What does Louie see when she looks into Henny's room?
(a) Sam sitting with his head in his hands and Henny ranting.
(b) Henny beating Sam.
(c) Henny standing over Sam with a razor in her hand.
(d) Sam and Henny talking softly.
8. What have the children become by the end of the summer?
(a) Disgusted with fishing.
(b) Expert fishermen.
(c) Little field biologists.
(d) Excellent poets.
9. What do Louie's siblings taunt her about?
(a) Being in love with a boy.
(b) Being in love with her teacher.
(c) Thinking she's superior.
(d) Being dumb.
10. What happens to Sam in mid-summer?
(a) He is suspended.
(b) He is assigned to a post in Malaysia.
(c) He is promoted.
(d) He is fired.
11. What is Sam's response to this event?
(a) He consumes himself in preparing to present his case.
(b) He is determined to enjoy the summer.
(c) He starts looking for work immediately.
(d) He rants and raves about the injustice of it.
12. What does Henny say she wishes the children would do?
(b) Finish their homework.
(c) Take care of themselves.
(d) Chip in on chores.
13. In what way does Colonel Willets see David Collyer's death as an opportunity?
(a) Now he can extract more contributions from Sam.
(b) Now he can discredit Sam and have him removed from his post.
(c) Now he can toy with Sam's appointment, and drive him away from the institute.
(d) Now he can make Sam loyal to him personally.
14. What does Sam say about Ernie's character?
(a) His morals have disimproved.
(b) He has gone rotten.
(c) He has lost his senses.
(d) He has matured.
15. Why does the Pollit family have to leave Georgetown?
(a) They have too many debts there.
(b) They are no longer welcome there.
(c) It is too expensive.
(d) They are following Sam to a new appointment.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sam offer Bonnie?
2. What is Louie's reaction when Sam reads her poetry?
3. Henny threatens Sam with _________.
4. Why does Sam say he can't let Louie go?
5. Now that we have read the ending, the book's title 'The Man Who Loved Children' could be seen __________.
This section contains 602 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)