|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Josephine Pollit tell the family about, when she comes to visit?
(a) Sam's job.
(c) Her affair.
(d) Colonel Willets' new problems.
2. What does Louie see when she looks into Henny's room?
(a) Henny beating Sam.
(b) Sam and Henny talking softly.
(c) Sam sitting with his head in his hands and Henny ranting.
(d) Henny standing over Sam with a razor in her hand.
3. What does Henny take from Ernie?
(a) His savings.
(b) His lead.
(c) Her old coins.
(d) His set of keys.
4. What do Sam and Henny discover when David Collyer's will is read?
(a) He was broke.
(b) Henny was specifically written out of the will.
(c) David Collyer left it all to charity.
(d) Everything was left to Henny's siblings.
5. What is Henny's response when Sam confronts her?
(a) She knows who wrote the letter.
(b) He is a worthless person, who has no right to accuse her.
(c) She would never have betrayed him, even in spite of his infidelities.
(d) She has every right to have affairs, considering his infidelities.
6. How does Henny escape from the house?
(a) She goes to Washington D.C.
(b) She locks herself in her room.
(c) She disappears.
(d) She goes for a long walk.
7. How does Bert Anderson disappoint Henny?
(a) He walks away from their conversation.
(b) He tells her to count her blessings.
(c) He refuses to listen to her complain.
(d) He does not have money to give her.
8. What news does Josephine Pollit tell?
(a) Bonnie had a baby.
(b) Bonnie had another affair.
(c) Bonnie had fallen in love.
(d) Colonel Willets had been demoted.
9. What does Sam get the children excited about?
(a) The fantasy of living in a big house.
(b) A deer.
(c) A large fish.
(d) The possibility of a big job.
10. What do Louie's siblings taunt her about?
(a) Thinking she's superior.
(b) Being in love with her teacher.
(c) Being in love with a boy.
(d) Being dumb.
11. What does Saul Pilgrim tell Sam?
(a) To go after Colonel Willets.
(b) To look for new work.
(c) To be careful.
(d) To go over Colonel Willets' head.
12. Where does Louie go?
(a) Washington D.C.
(c) To live with Miss Aiden.
(d) Her mother's family in Harper's Ferry.
13. What does Louie tell Sam about Henny's death?
(a) She didn't know how it happened.
(b) Louie killed her.
(c) She killed herself.
(d) It was an accident.
14. According to the narrator, Saul Pilgrim is the only person who will ______________.
(a) Employ Sam.
(b) Talk to Sam.
(c) Visit the Pollit house.
(d) Befriend Louie.
15. What is Sam's status in terms of work, in Chapter 9?
(a) He is still not working, but has a promise of work.
(b) He is still looking for work.
(c) He has a new job.
(d) He has been told that he is unemployable.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the narrator say Henny's moods change?
2. What does Henny snap at when she is in a foul mood?
3. Why doesn't Sam tell Henny this news?
4. Sam tells Bonnie _________________.
5. What does Henny say she wishes the children would do?
This section contains 552 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)