|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Clare approach her poverty?
(a) By shrinking inside herself.
(b) By laughing at it.
(c) By apologizing all the time.
(d) By letting people walk all over her.
2. What does Ernie admire in his secret money box?
(a) His collection of lead.
(b) A set of old keys.
(c) Henny's foreign coins.
(d) His savings.
3. What does Sam propose to Bonnie?
(a) She should marry the baby's father.
(b) She should move into Spa House.
(c) She should move away.
(d) She should be institutionalized.
4. What does the narrator say Ernie is deeply concerned about?
5. Why does Sam challenge Louie to write poetry?
(a) He learned to write poems in Malaysia.
(b) Jo had published a poem in the paper.
(c) He wanted to give her an assignment she would fail at.
(d) He knew it would make Henny furious.
6. Sam tells Bonnie _________________.
(a) About Henny's death.
(b) About her baby.
(c) About his financial problems.
(d) About Jo's affairs.
7. What are Louie's feelings about what she has done?
(a) Crushing guilt.
(b) Life will go on.
(c) She is ruthless.
(d) She feels nothing.
8. What is the atmosphere like at Tohoga House when Jo arrives there?
9. In what way does Colonel Willets see David Collyer's death as an opportunity?
(a) Now he can discredit Sam and have him removed from his post.
(b) Now he can toy with Sam's appointment, and drive him away from the institute.
(c) Now he can make Sam loyal to him personally.
(d) Now he can extract more contributions from Sam.
10. What happens to Sam in mid-summer?
(a) He is fired.
(b) He is assigned to a post in Malaysia.
(c) He is suspended.
(d) He is promoted.
11. What has Henny begun to do in front of the children?
(a) Talk about her infidelities.
(b) Belittle Sam.
(c) Kiss Sam.
(d) Humiliate Sam.
12. What is Louie's reaction when Sam reads her poetry?
(a) She is glad to set a good example for her siblings.
(b) She is irritated, but not bothered much.
(c) She is glad that her work is finally being heard.
(d) She is furious for the invasion of privacy.
13. What does Henny accuse Bert Anderson of?
(a) Being selfish.
(b) Hating her.
(c) Secretly loving her.
(d) Sleeping around.
14. Henny threatens Sam with _________.
(b) Hurting Louie or Ernie.
(c) Kicking him out.
(d) Killing him.
15. Why does Sam say he can't let Louie go?
(a) He can't afford to let her go.
(b) He needs her to stay.
(c) He has too many burdens.
(d) He needs her income.
Short Answer Questions
1. Sam pays for ______________.
2. How does the narrator characterize the house Sam finds?
3. What does Sam get the children excited about?
4. Where does Louie go?
5. What had Sam brought back from Malaysia in the crates?
This section contains 506 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)