|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what way does Colonel Willets see David Collyer's death as an opportunity?
(a) Now he can make Sam loyal to him personally.
(b) Now he can toy with Sam's appointment, and drive him away from the institute.
(c) Now he can extract more contributions from Sam.
(d) Now he can discredit Sam and have him removed from his post.
2. How does Henny characterize Louie's teacher?
(c) Salt of the earth.
3. What does Sam offer Bonnie?
(a) To send the baby away.
(b) To make sure the baby is adopted by a nice family.
(c) To send her away.
(d) To raise the child as his.
4. What does Saul Pilgrim talk about when he comes to visit?
5. How does Sam anger Colonel Willets?
(a) By responding pleasantly to his rudeness.
(b) By refusing to tell Colonel Willets about funding opportunities.
(c) By working so hard that no one else needs to contribute much.
(d) By claiming everything as his own work.
6. What does Henny take from Ernie?
(a) Her old coins.
(b) His lead.
(c) His savings.
(d) His set of keys.
7. Why does Sam dislike alcohol in his house?
(a) It makes people unruly and rebellious against him.
(b) He was an alcoholic once.
(c) It clouds the mind.
(d) His religion prohibits alcohol.
8. How does Henny escape from the house?
(a) She disappears.
(b) She locks herself in her room.
(c) She goes to Washington D.C.
(d) She goes for a long walk.
9. What is Henny's response to the events of mid summer?
(a) She buckles down and begins to cut back on her expenses.
(b) She ignores all signs of trouble.
(c) She falls into a deep depression.
(d) She feels deserted.
10. What does Sam propose to Bonnie?
(a) She should marry the baby's father.
(b) She should be institutionalized.
(c) She should move away.
(d) She should move into Spa House.
11. How long does Henny stay away from Spa House?
(a) Ten days.
(b) A week.
(c) An afternoon.
(d) Two days.
12. What news comes at the end of the celebration at Tohoga House?
(a) Archie Lessinum is dead.
(b) David Collyer is dead.
(c) Josephine Pollit is dead.
(d) Louie is missing.
13. What upsets Sam after Henny gives birth?
(a) The house is full of people who have come to take care of the baby.
(b) There is no one to take care of the baby.
(c) She has hired a nurse.
(d) Louie is taking care of the baby.
14. Sam and the other children make fun of Ernie for _____________.
(a) His weight.
(b) His foolishness.
(c) His awkwardness with girls.
(d) His concern about money.
15. What does Louie put in Henny's tea?
(d) Engine coolant.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the narrator characterize the relationship between Sam and Colonel Willets?
2. Who is Saul Pilgrim?
3. How does the narrator characterize Hassie's house?
4. What does Louie see when she looks into Henny's room?
5. What does the anonymous letter tell Sam?
This section contains 549 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)