|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Louie says Spa House is filled with __________________.
2. How do things change in the house after Sam returns home?
(a) Everything in the house gets a new Malay name.
(b) Sam spends a lot of time writing letters.
(c) Henny moves out.
(d) Sam moves in all of his Eastern furniture.
3. What embarrasses Louie about going to school?
(a) Her complete lack of family support.
(b) Her hand-me-downs.
(c) Her ignorance.
(d) Her immaturity.
4. What does Henny snap at when she is in a foul mood?
(a) Louie for being dirty.
(b) Sam for his infidelities.
(c) Miss Aiden for taking care of Louie.
(d) Tommy for mouthing off.
5. What worries Henny after David Collyer's funeral?
(a) How she will get through the summer without Louie or Hazel Moore.
(b) Who she can ask for money.
(c) When they will be evicted.
(d) Where they will get money from.
6. What does Henny finally tell Jo after Jo's ranting?
(a) None of them are any better than cheats, liars or whores.
(b) Jo should be punished for spreading the news of Bonnie's misfortune.
(c) Bonnie should be punished.
(d) Jo is no one to talk.
7. Bonnie keeps asking ______________.
(a) About the baby's father.
(b) To return home.
(c) To see a nurse.
(d) For her baby.
8. Why doesn't Sam tell Henny this news?
(a) She is about to go into labor.
(b) She will ruin the party.
(c) He is saving it for the right moment.
(d) She doesn't want to know it.
9. What happens when Sam opens the crates he brought home from Malaysia?
(a) People are excited, but some are unhappy with their small gifts.
(b) He is embarrassed to have forgotten a number of people.
(c) Everyone is thrilled with their gifts.
(d) The scene is disrupted by Henny going into labor.
10. What happens to Bonnie's baby?
(a) It is never found.
(b) It dies.
(c) It is adopted.
(d) It is located.
11. What is Sam's response to this event?
(a) He is determined to enjoy the summer.
(b) He rants and raves about the injustice of it.
(c) He starts looking for work immediately.
(d) He consumes himself in preparing to present his case.
12. How has the trip changed Sam?
(a) He drinks more.
(b) He is more expressive.
(c) He is more restrained.
(d) He is more optimistic.
13. What does Josephine Pollit carry on about?
(a) The disrepute Bonnie has brought to the family.
(b) The justice of retribution on Colonel Willets.
(c) The beauty of the new baby.
(d) The strain a new baby will place on the family finances.
14. How does Sam anger Colonel Willets?
(a) By working so hard that no one else needs to contribute much.
(b) By refusing to tell Colonel Willets about funding opportunities.
(c) By claiming everything as his own work.
(d) By responding pleasantly to his rudeness.
15. Why does Sam challenge Louie to write poetry?
(a) He knew it would make Henny furious.
(b) He wanted to give her an assignment she would fail at.
(c) Jo had published a poem in the paper.
(d) He learned to write poems in Malaysia.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has Henny begun to do in front of the children?
2. According to the narrator, Saul Pilgrim is the only person who will ______________.
3. What does Sam get the children excited about?
4. What had Sam brought back from Malaysia in the crates?
5. In what way does Colonel Willets see David Collyer's death as an opportunity?
This section contains 623 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)