|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do things change in the house after Sam returns home?
(a) Everything in the house gets a new Malay name.
(b) Sam moves in all of his Eastern furniture.
(c) Henny moves out.
(d) Sam spends a lot of time writing letters.
2. What happens to Bonnie's baby?
(a) It is adopted.
(b) It is located.
(c) It is never found.
(d) It dies.
3. What is this conclusion of the book called?
(a) The denouement.
(b) The rising action.
(c) The climax.
(d) The falling action.
4. What worries Henny after David Collyer's funeral?
(a) Where they will get money from.
(b) How she will get through the summer without Louie or Hazel Moore.
(c) When they will be evicted.
(d) Who she can ask for money.
5. What happens to Sam in mid-summer?
(a) He is fired.
(b) He is promoted.
(c) He is suspended.
(d) He is assigned to a post in Malaysia.
6. What does the narrator say is clear has happened since Henny left Tohoga House?
(a) She has learned to accept things with humor.
(b) She has aged.
(c) She has matured.
(d) She has resigned herself to her life.
7. How does the narrator characterize the house Sam finds?
(a) It needs work.
(b) It will have to be totally rebuilt.
(c) It is a wreck.
(d) It is splendid.
8. Now that we have read the ending, the book's title 'The Man Who Loved Children' could be seen __________.
(a) As ironic.
(b) As allegorical.
(c) As metaphorical.
(d) As sympathetic.
9. How does Henny react to the news about her father's will?
(a) She wants to talk to her siblings to see what can be done.
(b) She wants no part of finding a new place.
(c) She doesn't respond at all.
(d) She wants to move out immediately.
10. What has Henny begun to do in front of the children?
(a) Kiss Sam.
(b) Humiliate Sam.
(c) Belittle Sam.
(d) Talk about her infidelities.
11. What do Louie's siblings taunt her about?
(a) Being in love with a boy.
(b) Thinking she's superior.
(c) Being in love with her teacher.
(d) Being dumb.
12. What news comes at the end of the celebration at Tohoga House?
(a) David Collyer is dead.
(b) Josephine Pollit is dead.
(c) Louie is missing.
(d) Archie Lessinum is dead.
13. How does the narrator characterize the relationship between Sam and Colonel Willets?
(a) Colonel Willets loathes Sam's intellectual background.
(b) Colonel Willets resents Sam's easy-going personality.
(c) Colonel Willets simply doesn't like Sam.
(d) Colonel Willets is afraid of Sam's ambition.
14. How long does Henny stay away from Spa House?
(a) A week.
(b) Two days.
(c) Ten days.
(d) An afternoon.
15. What is Sam's response to this event?
(a) He is determined to enjoy the summer.
(b) He consumes himself in preparing to present his case.
(c) He rants and raves about the injustice of it.
(d) He starts looking for work immediately.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Jo's main concern regarding Bonnie?
2. What makes Sam furious after the reading of the will?
3. The boys think a marlin is a ___________.
4. What is Henny's response when Sam confronts her?
5. What is the atmosphere like at Tohoga House when Jo arrives there?
This section contains 579 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)