|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Henny escape from the house?
(a) She disappears.
(b) She locks herself in her room.
(c) She goes for a long walk.
(d) She goes to Washington D.C.
2. How does the narrator characterize the relationship between Sam and Colonel Willets?
(a) Colonel Willets is afraid of Sam's ambition.
(b) Colonel Willets loathes Sam's intellectual background.
(c) Colonel Willets simply doesn't like Sam.
(d) Colonel Willets resents Sam's easy-going personality.
3. What does Henny finally tell Jo after Jo's ranting?
(a) Jo should be punished for spreading the news of Bonnie's misfortune.
(b) Bonnie should be punished.
(c) Jo is no one to talk.
(d) None of them are any better than cheats, liars or whores.
4. How does Clare approach her poverty?
(a) By letting people walk all over her.
(b) By apologizing all the time.
(c) By laughing at it.
(d) By shrinking inside herself.
5. Sam tells Bonnie _________________.
(a) About her baby.
(b) About Jo's affairs.
(c) About Henny's death.
(d) About his financial problems.
6. Why does Sam say he can't let Louie go?
(a) He needs her income.
(b) He has too many burdens.
(c) He needs her to stay.
(d) He can't afford to let her go.
7. What is Sam's status in terms of work, in Chapter 9?
(a) He has been told that he is unemployable.
(b) He is still looking for work.
(c) He has a new job.
(d) He is still not working, but has a promise of work.
8. What does Sam propose to Bonnie?
(a) She should move into Spa House.
(b) She should move away.
(c) She should marry the baby's father.
(d) She should be institutionalized.
9. What happens when Sam opens the crates he brought home from Malaysia?
(a) People are excited, but some are unhappy with their small gifts.
(b) He is embarrassed to have forgotten a number of people.
(c) The scene is disrupted by Henny going into labor.
(d) Everyone is thrilled with their gifts.
10. What is the atmosphere like at Tohoga House when Jo arrives there?
11. What does Sam get the children excited about?
(a) The possibility of a big job.
(b) A deer.
(c) A large fish.
(d) The fantasy of living in a big house.
12. What does Louie tell her father she wants to do?
(a) Leave Spa House.
(b) Kill him.
(c) Kill herself.
(d) Kill Henny.
13. What does the Pollit family begin to prepare for after the homecoming celebration?
(a) Sam's next departure.
(b) Henny's new baby.
(c) Louie's graduation party.
(d) David Collyer's funeral.
14. Who is Cathleen?
(a) Henny's new maid.
(b) Hazel Moore's daughter.
(c) Josephine Pollit's daughter.
(d) Hassie's only daughter.
15. What is Henny's response to the events of mid summer?
(a) She ignores all signs of trouble.
(b) She buckles down and begins to cut back on her expenses.
(c) She falls into a deep depression.
(d) She feels deserted.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Bonnie in the end of the book?
2. How does Bert Anderson disappoint Henny?
3. The boys think a marlin is a ___________.
4. How do things change in the house after Sam returns home?
5. What does Sam think Louie's reaction will be if he reads her poetry?
This section contains 573 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)