|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was David Collyer's relationship with Archie Lessinum?
(a) Lessinum was an old enemy of Collyer's.
(b) He chose him for his daughter.
(c) He employed him at Monocacy.
(d) He employed him at one of his facilities.
2. How does the narrator characterize the Pollit children?
(a) Always hungry.
3. What do the children do when Henny arrives home?
(a) Run into the woods.
(b) Flock about, asking questions.
(c) Run to their rooms.
(d) Get dinner ready.
4. How old is Josephine Pollit?
(b) No one is sure.
5. How does the narrator say Henny treats Louie when she takes the children to Washington D.C. for shoes?
(a) She fawns over her.
(b) She trusts the children to her.
(c) She insults her constantly.
(d) She does not pay her any notice.
6. What does Henny's friend tell her?
(a) She should divorce Sam.
(b) She should stop dwelling on the negative things.
(c) She should get help.
(d) She should travel.
7. Why is Henny irritated by the children writing letters to Sam in Malaysia?
(a) They don't know how to spell simple words.
(b) They never finish their stories.
(c) They don't write quickly.
(d) They have too many questions.
8. Where has Henny been when she comes home?
(a) At work.
(c) In the woods.
9. How does the narrator characterize Sam Pollit's relationship with his children?
(a) He sleeps and rises by their needs.
(b) He overdoes it to compensate for being gone so often.
(c) He tries to ignore them as much as he can.
(d) He never breaks promises to them.
10. What did Louie's mother say about Sam when she was dying?
(a) He would be a friend to the children.
(b) He was great with children.
(c) He didn't know anything about children.
(d) He had no interest in the children.
11. What is Louie like when her parents are around?
(a) Strict and overbearing.
(b) Introverted and shy.
(c) Manipulative and squirrelly.
(d) Loving and friendly.
12. How does the narrator characterize Henny Pollit?
(d) Nervous and lively.
13. What is Josephine Pollit's role in the Pollit family?
(c) Lovable nuisance.
(d) Prodigal daughter.
14. What have Henny and Hazel Moore been arguing over?
(b) Mr. Gray.
15. When does Henny say she was tricked?
(a) When she gave up her inheritance.
(b) When she bought the house.
(c) When she had children.
(d) When she married Sam.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where are the children excluded from at Monocacy?
2. How does Henny say she thinks of Louie?
3. What does Sam swear to Henny?
4. Why does Henny refuse to write to Sam?
5. What does Louie make for Henny when she comes home?
This section contains 478 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)