|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Sam talk about with Whitey?
(a) The impending collapse of civilization.
(b) Looking for specimens.
(c) Publishing articles.
(d) Making one's own community.
2. What have Henny and Hazel Moore been arguing over?
(a) Mr. Gray.
3. Why is Henny irritated by the children writing letters to Sam in Malaysia?
(a) They don't write quickly.
(b) They never finish their stories.
(c) They have too many questions.
(d) They don't know how to spell simple words.
4. What was David Collyer's relationship with Archie Lessinum?
(a) He chose him for his daughter.
(b) He employed him at Monocacy.
(c) He employed him at one of his facilities.
(d) Lessinum was an old enemy of Collyer's.
5. Why does Henny refuse to write to Sam?
(a) She is convinced he has a local lover.
(b) He never answers.
(c) He gets jealous over the littlest thing.
(d) He criticizes her spelling.
6. What is Togoha House?
(a) Sam Pollit's workplace.
(b) The Governor's mansion.
(c) The Pollit's residence.
(d) The dorm where Louie Pollit lives.
7. What does Hazel Moore do to upset Henny?
(a) Steals money.
(b) Gets drunk and neglects her work.
(c) Gives notice that she is leaving.
(d) Becomes engaged to Mr. Gray.
8. What is the house like when Sam arrives home?
(c) Bubbling with children.
(d) Seething with resentments.
9. How does Sam contrast his relationship with the children with Henny's relationship?
(a) He is less protective of the children.
(b) He is friendly with them, whereas she treats them all like enemies.
(c) He tries to teach them, but she doesn't.
(d) He doesn't know them at all, whereas she knows them intimately.
10. How old was Louie when her mother died?
(b) Six years.
(c) Eighteen months.
(d) Six months.
11. Who is Henny's favorite?
12. What do Sam and Henny argue about when they consider Sam's departure?
(a) An affair Henny had.
(b) Henny's incompetence about money.
(c) Sam's affairs.
(d) Henny's hatred for Louie.
13. Who is Nellie?
(a) A young maid.
(b) A gardener.
(c) Henny's father's mistress.
(d) A family friend.
14. Why did Henny look very theatrical when she stared off into the distance?
(a) She was very dramatic in her manner.
(b) She had porcelain skin.
(c) She had very dark hair.
(d) She had large eyes.
15. How did Beulah take care of Louie and the children?
(a) In an annual summer visit.
(b) In constant short visits throughout the year.
(c) She hardly saw them except briefly at holidays.
(d) She lives with Henny and the children part-time.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the narrator characterize the relationship between Henny and her friend?
2. What do Henny and Old Ellen talk about?
3. How does the narrator characterize Sam Pollit's relationship with his children?
4. Where is Sam Pollit?
5. What do Louie's cousins teacher her?
This section contains 511 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)