|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Louie feel at home with Beulah?
(a) Her family neglects her and lets her have her freedom.
(b) She doesn't have to look after her siblings there.
(c) Her family is happy to have her.
(d) Her family lets her do whatever she wants.
2. Where does Nellie say Louie is going to go?
(b) Reform school.
(d) High school.
3. What reason does Sam give for his marriage to Henny?
(a) A sense of honor.
(b) Her family needed him to take care of her.
(c) The marriage was arranged.
(d) They were in love.
4. What worries Sam about leaving Henny in charge of the house while he is gone?
(a) Henny's health.
(b) Henny's sick father.
(c) Henny's irresponsibility.
(d) Henny's hatred for Louie.
5. What does Nellie teach Louie?
(a) French words.
(b) How to plant trees.
(c) How to tie knots.
(d) How to bake.
6. What does Henny's friend say is the crux of her problems?
7. How long have Sam and Henny been married?
(a) 10 years.
(b) 5 years.
(c) 15 years.
(d) 7 years.
8. What does Henny say she would like to do to Sam?
(a) Befriend him.
(b) Confess to him.
(c) Kill him.
(d) Reward him for his hard work.
9. How old is Josephine Pollit?
(b) No one is sure.
10. For what had Henny asked Norman Collyer?
11. What is Josephine Pollit's role in the Pollit family?
(c) Prodigal daughter.
(d) Lovable nuisance.
12. What mistake has the Smithsonian made that infuriates Colonel Willets?
(a) They understood Sam to be the head of the expedition.
(b) They misunderstood Colonel Willets' requests for more assistance, and cut his budget instead.
(c) They refused to answer any of Colonel Willets' inquiries.
(d) They expected Sam and Colonel Willets to pay for their own expenses.
13. How does Henny characterize the difference between herself and Sam?
(a) He has control over everything; she only has control over the children, sometimes.
(b) He lives on the earth; she lives in the atmosphere.
(c) He lives in a floating cloud; she lives in the back alleys.
(d) He is always coming and going; she is trapped.
14. How does Henny refer to the heart of Washington D.C.?
(a) City Center.
(c) The City.
15. What does Henny's friend tell her?
(a) She should stop dwelling on the negative things.
(b) She should travel.
(c) She should divorce Sam.
(d) She should get help.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Togoha House?
2. What does Louie make for Henny when she comes home?
3. What is Louie like when her parents are gone?
4. Where is Sam Pollit?
5. How is 'The Man Who Loved Children' narrated?
This section contains 457 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)