|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what way is Nellie cruel to Louie?
(a) She says that she is a bastard.
(b) She berates her when she makes mistakes.
(c) She pokes her.
(d) She accuses her of other children's mistakes.
2. What will Sam's heroism mean for him?
(a) A large promotion.
(b) Travel expenses.
(c) A year of travel.
(d) More authority over his department.
3. What worries Sam about leaving Henny in charge of the house while he is gone?
(a) Henny's irresponsibility.
(b) Henny's health.
(c) Henny's hatred for Louie.
(d) Henny's sick father.
4. How does Sam contrast his relationship with the children with Henny's relationship?
(a) He is friendly with them, whereas she treats them all like enemies.
(b) He tries to teach them, but she doesn't.
(c) He doesn't know them at all, whereas she knows them intimately.
(d) He is less protective of the children.
5. What do Louie's cousins teacher her?
(a) How to hunt.
(b) How to butcher pigs.
(c) How to tie knots.
(d) How to write.
6. Who is Beulah?
(a) Louie's mother.
(b) Sam's first wife.
(c) Louie's cousin.
(d) Henny's sister.
7. Where does Beulah live?
(a) Washington D.C.
(b) Harper's Ferry.
8. How long have Sam and Henny been married?
(a) 5 years.
(b) 15 years.
(c) 10 years.
(d) 7 years.
9. Henny plans to ask her friend for ___________.
10. Where are the children excluded from at Monocacy?
(a) The parlor.
(b) The billiard room.
(d) The living room.
11. What is Henny's mother doing when Henny arrives at Monocacy?
12. Where is Henny's special place?
(a) Her parents' estate.
(b) A stool in the corner.
(c) A tree in the woods.
(d) A room above the living room.
13. What is Josephine Pollit's role in the Pollit family?
(a) Prodigal daughter.
(d) Lovable nuisance.
14. What does Norman Collyer tell Henny her trouble is?
(a) She never thinks of anyone but herself.
(b) She has never had to pay for her mistakes.
(c) She only thinks of other people.
(d) She never makes any mistakes.
15. What does Sam talk about with Whitey?
(a) Looking for specimens.
(b) Making one's own community.
(c) Publishing articles.
(d) The impending collapse of civilization.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Louie like when her parents are gone?
2. Whose family home is Monocacy?
3. Where is Sam Pollit?
4. What do Sam and Henny argue about when they consider Sam's departure?
5. What is Beulah's family business?
This section contains 413 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)