|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Henny meet in Washington D.C.?
(b) Bert Anderson.
(c) Old Ellen.
(d) Hazel Moore.
2. How does the narrator characterize Sam Pollit's relationship with his children?
(a) He never breaks promises to them.
(b) He sleeps and rises by their needs.
(c) He tries to ignore them as much as he can.
(d) He overdoes it to compensate for being gone so often.
3. What does Henny's friend say is the crux of her problems?
4. What reason does Sam give for his marriage to Henny?
(a) The marriage was arranged.
(b) They were in love.
(c) Her family needed him to take care of her.
(d) A sense of honor.
5. What does Sam think about as he walks through Georgetown?
(a) His childhood home.
(b) His dead mother.
(c) His father.
(d) His garden.
6. What does Henny say she would like to do to Sam?
(a) Kill him.
(b) Confess to him.
(c) Reward him for his hard work.
(d) Befriend him.
7. How does the narrator characterize the Pollit children?
(c) Always hungry.
8. For what had Henny asked Norman Collyer?
9. What mistake has the Smithsonian made that infuriates Colonel Willets?
(a) They refused to answer any of Colonel Willets' inquiries.
(b) They understood Sam to be the head of the expedition.
(c) They expected Sam and Colonel Willets to pay for their own expenses.
(d) They misunderstood Colonel Willets' requests for more assistance, and cut his budget instead.
10. What does Josephine Pollit tell the children?
(a) To make her proud.
(b) To mind their parents.
(c) To do well in school.
(d) To never beg.
11. What is Togoha House?
(a) The Pollit's residence.
(b) The dorm where Louie Pollit lives.
(c) The Governor's mansion.
(d) Sam Pollit's workplace.
12. What does Sam swear to Henny?
(a) He loves her more than anything.
(b) He has never cheated on her.
(c) He has been faithful since his last lapse.
(d) His affairs don't matter to him.
13. How does the narrator characterize Josephine Pollit?
(a) Tall with blond hair.
(b) Fat and slow.
(c) Lanky and aloof.
(d) Short and plump.
14. What does Henny's friend tell her?
(a) She should get help.
(b) She should divorce Sam.
(c) She should stop dwelling on the negative things.
(d) She should travel.
15. Who is Rachel?
(a) Louie's cousin.
(b) Henny's sister.
(c) Sam's first wife.
(d) Louie's aunt.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long have Sam and Henny been married?
2. Why is Henny irritated by the children writing letters to Sam in Malaysia?
3. What do Henny and Old Ellen talk about?
4. What does Norman Collyer tell Henny her trouble is?
5. What does Henny want of Hazel Moore?
This section contains 509 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)