|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What worries Sam about leaving Henny in charge of the house while he is gone?
(a) Henny's hatred for Louie.
(b) Henny's health.
(c) Henny's sick father.
(d) Henny's irresponsibility.
2. What is Norman Collyer's response to Henny's request?
(a) He refuses.
(b) He agrees, on conditions.
(c) He does not answer.
(d) He sends her what she wants.
3. What is Louie's relationship with Henny?
(a) Henny is her aunt.
(b) Henny is her cousin.
(c) Henny is her step-mother.
(d) Henny is her mother.
4. What does Louie make for Henny when she comes home?
5. What does Louie do when Henny is in her special place?
(a) Gathers the children around her.
(b) Goes looking to bring her back.
(c) Cooks for the children.
(d) Keeps the children away from her.
6. Where is Henny's special place?
(a) A room above the living room.
(b) A tree in the woods.
(c) Her parents' estate.
(d) A stool in the corner.
7. Where are the children excluded from at Monocacy?
(a) The parlor.
(b) The living room.
(d) The billiard room.
8. Henny plans to ask her friend for ___________.
9. Why does Louie feel at home with Beulah?
(a) Her family neglects her and lets her have her freedom.
(b) Her family lets her do whatever she wants.
(c) She doesn't have to look after her siblings there.
(d) Her family is happy to have her.
10. How old was Louie when her mother died?
(a) Six months.
(b) Eighteen months.
(c) Six years.
11. What does Henny threaten to do if she cannot have her way with Hazel Moore?
(a) Hire another person.
(b) Stop working.
(c) Stop mothering.
(d) Leave Sam.
12. Who is Henny's favorite?
13. What does Hazel Moore do to upset Henny?
(a) Gives notice that she is leaving.
(b) Gets drunk and neglects her work.
(c) Becomes engaged to Mr. Gray.
(d) Steals money.
14. How does the narrator characterize the relationship between Henny and her friend?
15. Where does Beulah live?
(a) Washington D.C.
(d) Harper's Ferry.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Henny characterize the difference between herself and Sam?
2. What is Sam Pollit's profession?
3. What does Nellie teach Louie?
4. What is Beulah's family business?
5. Who is Josephine Pollit?
This section contains 424 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)