|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Henny look very theatrical when she stared off into the distance?
(a) She was very dramatic in her manner.
(b) She had large eyes.
(c) She had porcelain skin.
(d) She had very dark hair.
2. What does Henny threaten to do if she cannot have her way with Hazel Moore?
(a) Leave Sam.
(b) Hire another person.
(c) Stop working.
(d) Stop mothering.
3. What does Henny say she would like to do to Sam?
(a) Befriend him.
(b) Kill him.
(c) Reward him for his hard work.
(d) Confess to him.
4. How does Henny characterize the difference between herself and Sam?
(a) He has control over everything; she only has control over the children, sometimes.
(b) He lives in a floating cloud; she lives in the back alleys.
(c) He is always coming and going; she is trapped.
(d) He lives on the earth; she lives in the atmosphere.
5. What worries Sam about leaving Henny in charge of the house while he is gone?
(a) Henny's hatred for Louie.
(b) Henny's irresponsibility.
(c) Henny's health.
(d) Henny's sick father.
6. What does Nellie teach Louie?
(a) How to plant trees.
(b) French words.
(c) How to bake.
(d) How to tie knots.
7. What is Beulah's family business?
(a) Butchering chickens.
(b) Selling horses and cattle.
(c) Selling produce and farm products.
(d) Selling dry goods.
8. Who is Archie Lessinum?
(a) Old Ellen's son-in-law.
(b) A housekeeper at Monocacy.
(c) Henny's cousin.
(d) Henny's old boyfriend.
9. What does Norman Collyer tell Henny?
(a) He cannot recommend those books for her.
(b) She should forget their parents.
(c) He is glad to help her.
(d) She needs to learn how to live with what she has.
10. What does Sam tell Louie about?
(a) The impending divorce.
(b) His affairs and her mother's anger.
(c) The brilliance of her future.
(d) The suffering in his marriage.
11. What does Louie make for Henny when she comes home?
12. Who does Henny meet in Washington D.C.?
(a) Hazel Moore.
(c) Old Ellen.
(d) Bert Anderson.
13. What does Sam say he would like to create?
(a) A cure for degenerates.
(b) A shelter for degenerates.
(c) A world without misfits.
(d) A world run by misfits.
14. How does Sam contrast his relationship with the children with Henny's relationship?
(a) He is friendly with them, whereas she treats them all like enemies.
(b) He doesn't know them at all, whereas she knows them intimately.
(c) He is less protective of the children.
(d) He tries to teach them, but she doesn't.
15. What was David Collyer's relationship with Archie Lessinum?
(a) He employed him at Monocacy.
(b) He chose him for his daughter.
(c) He employed him at one of his facilities.
(d) Lessinum was an old enemy of Collyer's.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Henny complain about?
2. What is Josephine Pollit's role in the Pollit family?
3. Whose family home is Monocacy?
4. Where has Henny been when she comes home?
5. Where does Beulah live?
This section contains 480 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)