|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the narrator say Henny treats Louie when she takes the children to Washington D.C. for shoes?
(a) She insults her constantly.
(b) She fawns over her.
(c) She does not pay her any notice.
(d) She trusts the children to her.
2. Who is Beulah?
(a) Henny's sister.
(b) Louie's cousin.
(c) Louie's mother.
(d) Sam's first wife.
3. What does Nellie teach Louie?
(a) How to tie knots.
(b) French words.
(c) How to plant trees.
(d) How to bake.
4. What does Henny's friend say is the crux of her problems?
5. What is Togoha House?
(a) Sam Pollit's workplace.
(b) The Pollit's residence.
(c) The Governor's mansion.
(d) The dorm where Louie Pollit lives.
6. What is Louie's relationship with Henny?
(a) Henny is her step-mother.
(b) Henny is her mother.
(c) Henny is her cousin.
(d) Henny is her aunt.
7. What does Norman Collyer tell Henny her trouble is?
(a) She only thinks of other people.
(b) She never makes any mistakes.
(c) She never thinks of anyone but herself.
(d) She has never had to pay for her mistakes.
8. What reason does Sam give for his marriage to Henny?
(a) A sense of honor.
(b) The marriage was arranged.
(c) They were in love.
(d) Her family needed him to take care of her.
9. Why did Henny look very theatrical when she stared off into the distance?
(a) She was very dramatic in her manner.
(b) She had large eyes.
(c) She had very dark hair.
(d) She had porcelain skin.
10. What do Sam and Henny argue about when they consider Sam's departure?
(a) Sam's affairs.
(b) Henny's hatred for Louie.
(c) An affair Henny had.
(d) Henny's incompetence about money.
11. What is Josephine Pollit's role in the Pollit family?
(c) Lovable nuisance.
(d) Prodigal daughter.
12. Whose family home is Monocacy?
(a) Bert Anderson's.
13. What does Sam swear to Henny?
(a) He loves her more than anything.
(b) He has been faithful since his last lapse.
(c) He has never cheated on her.
(d) His affairs don't matter to him.
14. Why does Henny refuse to write to Sam?
(a) He never answers.
(b) He criticizes her spelling.
(c) She is convinced he has a local lover.
(d) He gets jealous over the littlest thing.
15. What is Sam Pollit's profession?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sam think about as he walks through Georgetown?
2. Why is Henny irritated by the children writing letters to Sam in Malaysia?
3. How does the narrator characterize the Pollit children?
4. What makes Sam a hero to his department?
5. Where is Sam Pollit?
This section contains 469 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)