|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Henny look very theatrical when she stared off into the distance?
(a) She had porcelain skin.
(b) She was very dramatic in her manner.
(c) She had large eyes.
(d) She had very dark hair.
2. What is Louie's relationship with Henny?
(a) Henny is her step-mother.
(b) Henny is her mother.
(c) Henny is her aunt.
(d) Henny is her cousin.
3. Why doesn't Henny do what she would like to do to Sam?
(a) She says that she is afraid to help him.
(b) She says that he always hurts her.
(c) She says that she can't afford to reward him.
(d) She says that she'd be burdened with his brats.
4. Who is Henny's favorite?
5. What does Henny say she would like to do to Sam?
(a) Befriend him.
(b) Confess to him.
(c) Kill him.
(d) Reward him for his hard work.
6. What does Henny threaten to do if she cannot have her way with Hazel Moore?
(a) Stop mothering.
(b) Hire another person.
(c) Leave Sam.
(d) Stop working.
7. What does Sam think about as he walks through Georgetown?
(a) His father.
(b) His garden.
(c) His childhood home.
(d) His dead mother.
8. What does Sam say he would like to create?
(a) A shelter for degenerates.
(b) A cure for degenerates.
(c) A world without misfits.
(d) A world run by misfits.
9. Why does Henny like going to Washington D.C.?
(a) She can hide the fact that she is poor.
(b) She can pretend to be rich.
(c) She can watch the rich people and envy them.
(d) She can buy things she can't get at home.
10. How does Sam contrast his relationship with the children with Henny's relationship?
(a) He tries to teach them, but she doesn't.
(b) He doesn't know them at all, whereas she knows them intimately.
(c) He is friendly with them, whereas she treats them all like enemies.
(d) He is less protective of the children.
11. Who is Archie Lessinum?
(a) Old Ellen's son-in-law.
(b) Henny's cousin.
(c) A housekeeper at Monocacy.
(d) Henny's old boyfriend.
12. Where does Nellie say Louie is going to go?
(b) High school.
(c) Reform school.
13. In what way does Sam juxtapose nature and Henny?
(a) He loves nature, but can't understand why Henny hates him so much.
(b) Nature is a passion of his, and he is a passion of Henny's.
(c) He has learned to know nature, but he does not feel he knows Henny at all.
(d) He is comfortable in nature, but he is never at home with Henny.
14. What did Louie's mother say about Sam when she was dying?
(a) He didn't know anything about children.
(b) He was great with children.
(c) He would be a friend to the children.
(d) He had no interest in the children.
15. For what had Henny asked Norman Collyer?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Norman Collyer's response to Henny's request?
2. What was David Collyer's relationship with Archie Lessinum?
3. Why does Louie feel at home with Beulah?
4. Where has Henny been when she comes home?
5. What does Henny want of Hazel Moore?
This section contains 587 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)