|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the narrator characterize Henny Pollit?
(c) Nervous and lively.
2. What is Josephine Pollit's role in the Pollit family?
(b) Prodigal daughter.
(d) Lovable nuisance.
3. Who is Josephine Pollit?
(a) Sam's aunt.
(b) Sam's cousin.
(c) Sam's mother.
(d) Sam's older sister.
4. What does Norman Collyer tell Henny her trouble is?
(a) She never makes any mistakes.
(b) She only thinks of other people.
(c) She has never had to pay for her mistakes.
(d) She never thinks of anyone but herself.
5. How does Henny characterize the difference between herself and Sam?
(a) He lives in a floating cloud; she lives in the back alleys.
(b) He lives on the earth; she lives in the atmosphere.
(c) He is always coming and going; she is trapped.
(d) He has control over everything; she only has control over the children, sometimes.
6. How does the narrator characterize the Pollit children?
(a) Always hungry.
7. Henny plans to ask her friend for ___________.
8. How old was Louie when her mother died?
(a) Eighteen months.
(b) Six months.
(d) Six years.
9. What do the children do when Henny arrives home?
(a) Run into the woods.
(b) Flock about, asking questions.
(c) Get dinner ready.
(d) Run to their rooms.
10. Why does Henny like going to Washington D.C.?
(a) She can buy things she can't get at home.
(b) She can pretend to be rich.
(c) She can watch the rich people and envy them.
(d) She can hide the fact that she is poor.
11. What does Sam think about as he walks through Georgetown?
(a) His garden.
(b) His dead mother.
(c) His childhood home.
(d) His father.
12. What does Sam swear to Henny?
(a) His affairs don't matter to him.
(b) He loves her more than anything.
(c) He has been faithful since his last lapse.
(d) He has never cheated on her.
13. Why doesn't Henny do what she would like to do to Sam?
(a) She says that he always hurts her.
(b) She says that she can't afford to reward him.
(c) She says that she is afraid to help him.
(d) She says that she'd be burdened with his brats.
14. How does Henny use the friend she meets in Washington D.C.?
(a) As a comforter.
(b) As a minister.
(c) As a stimulant.
(d) As a sounding board.
15. What is Beulah's family business?
(a) Butchering chickens.
(b) Selling produce and farm products.
(c) Selling dry goods.
(d) Selling horses and cattle.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Hazel Moore?
2. What did Louie's mother say about Sam when she was dying?
3. Where is Henny's special place?
4. What does Sam tell Louie about?
5. Why does Henny refuse to write to Sam?
This section contains 511 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)