|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Josephine Pollit's role in the Pollit family?
(a) Prodigal daughter.
(c) Lovable nuisance.
2. What will Sam's heroism mean for him?
(a) Travel expenses.
(b) More authority over his department.
(c) A large promotion.
(d) A year of travel.
3. When does Henny say she was tricked?
(a) When she had children.
(b) When she gave up her inheritance.
(c) When she married Sam.
(d) When she bought the house.
4. Who is Rachel?
(a) Louie's cousin.
(b) Louie's aunt.
(c) Henny's sister.
(d) Sam's first wife.
5. What does Henny complain about?
(a) Being poor.
(b) Sam's ego.
(c) Living so far from town.
(d) The children.
6. What do Louie's cousins teacher her?
(a) How to hunt.
(b) How to tie knots.
(c) How to butcher pigs.
(d) How to write.
7. How does Henny refer to the heart of Washington D.C.?
(a) City Center.
(b) The City.
8. How does the narrator characterize Josephine Pollit?
(a) Fat and slow.
(b) Lanky and aloof.
(c) Tall with blond hair.
(d) Short and plump.
9. What does Sam think about as he walks through Georgetown?
(a) His dead mother.
(b) His father.
(c) His garden.
(d) His childhood home.
10. What does Henny want of Hazel Moore?
(a) She wants her as a friend.
(b) She wants her to take the kids for some time.
(c) She wants her to stop gossiping.
(d) She wants her as a servant.
11. How did Beulah take care of Louie and the children?
(a) She hardly saw them except briefly at holidays.
(b) In an annual summer visit.
(c) She lives with Henny and the children part-time.
(d) In constant short visits throughout the year.
12. How do Henny, Hassie, and Old Ellen characterize Barry?
(a) As a nuisance.
(b) As irresponsible but charming.
(c) As a stalwart supporter of the family.
(d) As the salt of the earth.
13. How does Sam tell Naden to address him?
(a) As a guest.
(b) As equals.
(c) As his representative.
(d) As his boss.
14. What do Sam and Henny argue about when they consider Sam's departure?
(a) An affair Henny had.
(b) Sam's affairs.
(c) Henny's hatred for Louie.
(d) Henny's incompetence about money.
15. What do the children do when Henny arrives home?
(a) Flock about, asking questions.
(b) Run into the woods.
(c) Run to their rooms.
(d) Get dinner ready.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Henny like going to Washington D.C.?
2. Who is Hazel Moore?
3. Josephine Pollit tells Sam about _____________.
4. How does Henny characterize the difference between herself and Sam?
5. What is Sam Pollit's profession?
This section contains 476 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)