|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Hazel Moore?
(a) The housekeeper at Monocacy.
(b) The gardener at Monocacy.
(c) The steward at Monocacy.
(d) Henny's father's mistress.
2. Where has Henny been when she comes home?
(b) In the woods.
(c) At work.
3. Who does Henny meet in Washington D.C.?
(b) Bert Anderson.
(c) Hazel Moore.
(d) Old Ellen.
4. How did Beulah take care of Louie and the children?
(a) In an annual summer visit.
(b) She lives with Henny and the children part-time.
(c) In constant short visits throughout the year.
(d) She hardly saw them except briefly at holidays.
5. What mistake has the Smithsonian made that infuriates Colonel Willets?
(a) They expected Sam and Colonel Willets to pay for their own expenses.
(b) They refused to answer any of Colonel Willets' inquiries.
(c) They misunderstood Colonel Willets' requests for more assistance, and cut his budget instead.
(d) They understood Sam to be the head of the expedition.
6. How does the narrator say Henny treats Louie when she takes the children to Washington D.C. for shoes?
(a) She does not pay her any notice.
(b) She fawns over her.
(c) She insults her constantly.
(d) She trusts the children to her.
7. Why does Henny like going to Washington D.C.?
(a) She can pretend to be rich.
(b) She can hide the fact that she is poor.
(c) She can watch the rich people and envy them.
(d) She can buy things she can't get at home.
8. Where does Nellie say Louie is going to go?
(a) Reform school.
(b) High school.
9. What does Sam say he would like to create?
(a) A world run by misfits.
(b) A world without misfits.
(c) A cure for degenerates.
(d) A shelter for degenerates.
10. What 'crime' does Nellie hold against Louie?
(a) The time she took flowers from someone's yard to give a neighbor.
(b) The time she forgot her homework.
(c) She time she got sick and needed to be taken care of.
(d) The time she lost her keys.
11. Who is Norman Collyer?
(a) Henny's brother.
(b) Sam Pollit's father-in-law.
(c) Sam Pollit's brother-in-law.
(d) Henny's father.
12. Why did Henny look very theatrical when she stared off into the distance?
(a) She had large eyes.
(b) She was very dramatic in her manner.
(c) She had very dark hair.
(d) She had porcelain skin.
13. For what had Henny asked Norman Collyer?
14. Whose family home is Monocacy?
(b) Bert Anderson's.
15. In what way does Sam juxtapose nature and Henny?
(a) He has learned to know nature, but he does not feel he knows Henny at all.
(b) He loves nature, but can't understand why Henny hates him so much.
(c) He is comfortable in nature, but he is never at home with Henny.
(d) Nature is a passion of his, and he is a passion of Henny's.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what way is Nellie cruel to Louie?
2. What is Sam Pollit's profession?
3. How does Henny use the friend she meets in Washington D.C.?
4. What is Josephine Pollit's role in the Pollit family?
5. What does Henny threaten to do if she cannot have her way with Hazel Moore?
This section contains 543 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)