|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old is Josephine Pollit?
(a) No one is sure.
2. Why does Henny refuse to write to Sam?
(a) He criticizes her spelling.
(b) She is convinced he has a local lover.
(c) He gets jealous over the littlest thing.
(d) He never answers.
3. Where does Nellie say Louie is going to go?
(c) Reform school.
(d) High school.
4. How does the narrator characterize Josephine Pollit?
(a) Lanky and aloof.
(b) Fat and slow.
(c) Short and plump.
(d) Tall with blond hair.
5. What does Norman Collyer tell Henny her trouble is?
(a) She never makes any mistakes.
(b) She never thinks of anyone but herself.
(c) She only thinks of other people.
(d) She has never had to pay for her mistakes.
6. What do Louie's cousins teacher her?
(a) How to tie knots.
(b) How to hunt.
(c) How to write.
(d) How to butcher pigs.
7. Who is Josephine Pollit?
(a) Sam's older sister.
(b) Sam's aunt.
(c) Sam's mother.
(d) Sam's cousin.
8. How does the narrator say Henny treats Louie when she takes the children to Washington D.C. for shoes?
(a) She fawns over her.
(b) She insults her constantly.
(c) She trusts the children to her.
(d) She does not pay her any notice.
9. Who is Nellie?
(a) Henny's father's mistress.
(b) A gardener.
(c) A family friend.
(d) A young maid.
10. How does Sam contrast his relationship with the children with Henny's relationship?
(a) He tries to teach them, but she doesn't.
(b) He doesn't know them at all, whereas she knows them intimately.
(c) He is friendly with them, whereas she treats them all like enemies.
(d) He is less protective of the children.
11. Josephine Pollit tells Sam about _____________.
(a) An illness.
(b) A car accident.
(c) Bonnie's affair.
(d) A death.
12. What is Louie like when her parents are around?
(a) Loving and friendly.
(b) Introverted and shy.
(c) Manipulative and squirrelly.
(d) Strict and overbearing.
13. What does Sam say he would like to create?
(a) A cure for degenerates.
(b) A shelter for degenerates.
(c) A world run by misfits.
(d) A world without misfits.
14. Why is Henny irritated by the children writing letters to Sam in Malaysia?
(a) They don't write quickly.
(b) They never finish their stories.
(c) They have too many questions.
(d) They don't know how to spell simple words.
15. Whose family home is Monocacy?
(b) Bert Anderson's.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Louie's relationship with Henny?
2. Where does Beulah live?
3. What does Henny's friend tell her?
4. What does Henny threaten to do if she cannot have her way with Hazel Moore?
5. What mistake has the Smithsonian made that infuriates Colonel Willets?
This section contains 489 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)