|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old was Louie when her mother died?
(a) Six months.
(b) Six years.
(d) Eighteen months.
2. What does Sam talk about with Whitey?
(a) Looking for specimens.
(b) Making one's own community.
(c) The impending collapse of civilization.
(d) Publishing articles.
3. How does the narrator characterize Josephine Pollit?
(a) Short and plump.
(b) Fat and slow.
(c) Lanky and aloof.
(d) Tall with blond hair.
4. What state is Monocacy in when the Pollits arrive there in Chapter 5, Part 2?
5. Why does Henny like going to Washington D.C.?
(a) She can watch the rich people and envy them.
(b) She can pretend to be rich.
(c) She can hide the fact that she is poor.
(d) She can buy things she can't get at home.
6. How does Henny use the friend she meets in Washington D.C.?
(a) As a stimulant.
(b) As a sounding board.
(c) As a minister.
(d) As a comforter.
7. Where are the children excluded from at Monocacy?
(b) The living room.
(c) The billiard room.
(d) The parlor.
8. What do Henny and Old Ellen talk about?
(a) How to stay in a bad marriage.
(b) Why couples split up.
(c) How women poison themselves.
(d) What do to about Sam's inappropriate relationship with the children.
9. Who is Archie Lessinum?
(a) Henny's old boyfriend.
(b) A housekeeper at Monocacy.
(c) Henny's cousin.
(d) Old Ellen's son-in-law.
10. What have Henny and Hazel Moore been arguing over?
(a) Mr. Gray.
11. How does the narrator characterize the Pollit children?
(a) Always hungry.
12. What is Togoha House?
(a) Sam Pollit's workplace.
(b) The dorm where Louie Pollit lives.
(c) The Governor's mansion.
(d) The Pollit's residence.
13. What is Norman Collyer's response to Henny's request?
(a) He does not answer.
(b) He agrees, on conditions.
(c) He sends her what she wants.
(d) He refuses.
14. Where has Henny been when she comes home?
(b) In the woods.
(d) At work.
15. Why does Henny refuse to write to Sam?
(a) She is convinced he has a local lover.
(b) He never answers.
(c) He gets jealous over the littlest thing.
(d) He criticizes her spelling.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Louie feel at home with Beulah?
2. What is the house like when Sam arrives home?
3. What does Josephine Pollit tell the children?
4. Where is Henny's special place?
5. What is Bonnie's reaction when Jo Pollit talks to her?
This section contains 457 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)