|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Henny refer to the heart of Washington D.C.?
(a) The City.
(d) City Center.
2. Who is Nellie?
(a) Henny's father's mistress.
(b) A young maid.
(c) A family friend.
(d) A gardener.
3. What is Togoha House?
(a) The dorm where Louie Pollit lives.
(b) The Pollit's residence.
(c) The Governor's mansion.
(d) Sam Pollit's workplace.
4. What do Sam and Henny argue about when they consider Sam's departure?
(a) An affair Henny had.
(b) Sam's affairs.
(c) Henny's incompetence about money.
(d) Henny's hatred for Louie.
5. How old is Josephine Pollit?
(d) No one is sure.
6. How is 'The Man Who Loved Children' narrated?
(a) Third person omniscient.
(b) First person.
(c) Second person.
(d) Third person limited.
7. Who is Rachel?
(a) Louie's cousin.
(b) Henny's sister.
(c) Louie's aunt.
(d) Sam's first wife.
8. What mistake has the Smithsonian made that infuriates Colonel Willets?
(a) They misunderstood Colonel Willets' requests for more assistance, and cut his budget instead.
(b) They understood Sam to be the head of the expedition.
(c) They refused to answer any of Colonel Willets' inquiries.
(d) They expected Sam and Colonel Willets to pay for their own expenses.
9. In what way does Sam juxtapose nature and Henny?
(a) Nature is a passion of his, and he is a passion of Henny's.
(b) He loves nature, but can't understand why Henny hates him so much.
(c) He has learned to know nature, but he does not feel he knows Henny at all.
(d) He is comfortable in nature, but he is never at home with Henny.
10. Josephine Pollit tells Sam about _____________.
(a) Bonnie's affair.
(b) A car accident.
(c) A death.
(d) An illness.
11. How does the narrator characterize the Pollit children?
(b) Always hungry.
12. What is Sam Pollit's profession?
13. What does Louie do when Henny is in her special place?
(a) Gathers the children around her.
(b) Keeps the children away from her.
(c) Goes looking to bring her back.
(d) Cooks for the children.
14. How does the narrator characterize Henny Pollit?
(d) Nervous and lively.
15. What is Henny's mother doing when Henny arrives at Monocacy?
Short Answer Questions
1. What makes Sam a hero to his department?
2. How does the narrator characterize Josephine Pollit?
3. Who is Josephine Pollit?
4. What is Norman Collyer's response to Henny's request?
5. What does Louie make for Henny when she comes home?
This section contains 434 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)