|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Beulah take care of Louie and the children?
(a) In constant short visits throughout the year.
(b) She hardly saw them except briefly at holidays.
(c) She lives with Henny and the children part-time.
(d) In an annual summer visit.
2. Where does Nellie say Louie is going to go?
(b) High school.
(c) Reform school.
3. What state is Monocacy in when the Pollits arrive there in Chapter 5, Part 2?
4. What is Louie like when her parents are around?
(a) Manipulative and squirrelly.
(b) Loving and friendly.
(c) Introverted and shy.
(d) Strict and overbearing.
5. What is Louie's relationship with Henny?
(a) Henny is her mother.
(b) Henny is her aunt.
(c) Henny is her step-mother.
(d) Henny is her cousin.
6. What is the house like when Sam arrives home?
(a) Seething with resentments.
(d) Bubbling with children.
7. In what way does Sam juxtapose nature and Henny?
(a) He is comfortable in nature, but he is never at home with Henny.
(b) He has learned to know nature, but he does not feel he knows Henny at all.
(c) He loves nature, but can't understand why Henny hates him so much.
(d) Nature is a passion of his, and he is a passion of Henny's.
8. For what had Henny asked Norman Collyer?
9. In what way is Nellie cruel to Louie?
(a) She pokes her.
(b) She says that she is a bastard.
(c) She berates her when she makes mistakes.
(d) She accuses her of other children's mistakes.
10. Who is Henny's favorite?
11. What mistake has the Smithsonian made that infuriates Colonel Willets?
(a) They understood Sam to be the head of the expedition.
(b) They misunderstood Colonel Willets' requests for more assistance, and cut his budget instead.
(c) They expected Sam and Colonel Willets to pay for their own expenses.
(d) They refused to answer any of Colonel Willets' inquiries.
12. What does Henny say she would like to do to Sam?
(a) Reward him for his hard work.
(b) Befriend him.
(c) Kill him.
(d) Confess to him.
13. Who is Nellie?
(a) A gardener.
(b) Henny's father's mistress.
(c) A family friend.
(d) A young maid.
14. Who is Josephine Pollit?
(a) Sam's mother.
(b) Sam's cousin.
(c) Sam's older sister.
(d) Sam's aunt.
15. What do Sam and Henny argue about when they consider Sam's departure?
(a) An affair Henny had.
(b) Sam's affairs.
(c) Henny's incompetence about money.
(d) Henny's hatred for Louie.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Norman Collyer?
2. How does Sam tell Naden to address him?
3. How do Henny, Hassie, and Old Ellen characterize Barry?
4. What is Bonnie's reaction when Jo Pollit talks to her?
5. Why doesn't Henny do what she would like to do to Sam?
This section contains 513 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)