|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Josephine Pollit?
(a) Sam's mother.
(b) Sam's older sister.
(c) Sam's aunt.
(d) Sam's cousin.
2. What makes Sam a hero to his department?
(a) He located an intact specimen of an extinct species.
(b) He received an award for Field Biology.
(c) His data proved a theory.
(d) He is appointed to an Anthropological Mission.
3. What does Sam tell Louie about?
(a) The suffering in his marriage.
(b) The brilliance of her future.
(c) The impending divorce.
(d) His affairs and her mother's anger.
4. Who is Hazel Moore?
(a) The housekeeper at Monocacy.
(b) The gardener at Monocacy.
(c) The steward at Monocacy.
(d) Henny's father's mistress.
5. Why does Henny like going to Washington D.C.?
(a) She can hide the fact that she is poor.
(b) She can buy things she can't get at home.
(c) She can pretend to be rich.
(d) She can watch the rich people and envy them.
6. How does Henny characterize the difference between herself and Sam?
(a) He lives in a floating cloud; she lives in the back alleys.
(b) He lives on the earth; she lives in the atmosphere.
(c) He is always coming and going; she is trapped.
(d) He has control over everything; she only has control over the children, sometimes.
7. What does Henny threaten to do if she cannot have her way with Hazel Moore?
(a) Leave Sam.
(b) Stop working.
(c) Stop mothering.
(d) Hire another person.
8. What does Louie make for Henny when she comes home?
9. What does Nellie teach Louie?
(a) How to bake.
(b) How to plant trees.
(c) French words.
(d) How to tie knots.
10. What does Henny say she would like to do to Sam?
(a) Kill him.
(b) Reward him for his hard work.
(c) Confess to him.
(d) Befriend him.
11. What do Louie's cousins teacher her?
(a) How to write.
(b) How to tie knots.
(c) How to butcher pigs.
(d) How to hunt.
12. For what had Henny asked Norman Collyer?
13. Why doesn't Henny do what she would like to do to Sam?
(a) She says that she is afraid to help him.
(b) She says that he always hurts her.
(c) She says that she'd be burdened with his brats.
(d) She says that she can't afford to reward him.
14. What does Sam think about as he walks through Georgetown?
(a) His garden.
(b) His dead mother.
(c) His childhood home.
(d) His father.
15. What is Louie's relationship with Henny?
(a) Henny is her mother.
(b) Henny is her aunt.
(c) Henny is her cousin.
(d) Henny is her step-mother.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the narrator say Henny treats Louie when she takes the children to Washington D.C. for shoes?
2. Who is Nellie?
3. What does Henny want of Hazel Moore?
4. What is Norman Collyer's response to Henny's request?
5. What do Sam and Henny argue about when they consider Sam's departure?
This section contains 527 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)