|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the narrator characterize Josephine Pollit?
(a) Tall with blond hair.
(b) Short and plump.
(c) Lanky and aloof.
(d) Fat and slow.
2. When does Henny say she was tricked?
(a) When she married Sam.
(b) When she had children.
(c) When she bought the house.
(d) When she gave up her inheritance.
3. How did Beulah take care of Louie and the children?
(a) In constant short visits throughout the year.
(b) She hardly saw them except briefly at holidays.
(c) In an annual summer visit.
(d) She lives with Henny and the children part-time.
4. In what way is Nellie cruel to Louie?
(a) She says that she is a bastard.
(b) She accuses her of other children's mistakes.
(c) She pokes her.
(d) She berates her when she makes mistakes.
5. How does Henny refer to the heart of Washington D.C.?
(a) City Center.
(d) The City.
6. What does Sam talk about with Whitey?
(a) The impending collapse of civilization.
(b) Publishing articles.
(c) Looking for specimens.
(d) Making one's own community.
7. Why did Henny look very theatrical when she stared off into the distance?
(a) She had porcelain skin.
(b) She had very dark hair.
(c) She was very dramatic in her manner.
(d) She had large eyes.
8. What do Louie's cousins teacher her?
(a) How to tie knots.
(b) How to hunt.
(c) How to write.
(d) How to butcher pigs.
9. What does Henny want of Hazel Moore?
(a) She wants her to stop gossiping.
(b) She wants her as a servant.
(c) She wants her as a friend.
(d) She wants her to take the kids for some time.
10. Who is Norman Collyer?
(a) Sam Pollit's father-in-law.
(b) Henny's brother.
(c) Henny's father.
(d) Sam Pollit's brother-in-law.
11. How does Henny say she thinks of Louie?
(a) As an angel.
(b) As a brat.
(c) As a gift.
(d) As a burden.
12. What is Bonnie's reaction when Jo Pollit talks to her?
(a) She is confused.
(b) She flees into the woods.
(c) She carries on, but her feelings blow over quickly.
(d) She denies everything.
13. What is Louie like when her parents are around?
(a) Strict and overbearing.
(b) Manipulative and squirrelly.
(c) Introverted and shy.
(d) Loving and friendly.
14. Where is Sam Pollit?
(a) He disappeared when the children were small.
(b) On an expedition.
(c) At work.
15. What does Henny threaten to do if she cannot have her way with Hazel Moore?
(a) Stop working.
(b) Hire another person.
(c) Leave Sam.
(d) Stop mothering.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the house like when Sam arrives home?
2. What worries Sam about leaving Henny in charge of the house while he is gone?
3. What will Sam's heroism mean for him?
4. For what had Henny asked Norman Collyer?
5. What does Sam swear to Henny?
This section contains 475 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)