|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What issue did Lomitas develop after being poisoned?
2. What did Monty discover he could have with a deer in Chapter 6, Deer Friends?
3. What did Monty suddenly have a medical issue with in Chapter 5, Flag is Up Farms Regained?
4. In Chapter 8, When a Racehorse's Worst Memory is a Starting Gate, Monty discusses how man's history of violence towards horses has resulted in the loss of what?
5. How much did Johnny Trivio weigh?
Short Essay Questions
1. What injury did Monty experience in Chapter 5, Flag is Up Farms Regained? How did he recover?
2. What did Crawford Hall write in the text about his experience working at Flag is Up Farms?
3. What did Monty suggest his disabled friend could use in order to return to work for him in Chapter 5, Flag is Up Farms Regained?
4. What was the Queen's reaction to Monty's work in Chapter 7, The Invitation That Changed My Life?
5. What themes are reflected in Chapter 7, The Invitation That Changed My Life?
6. Who assisted Monty in working with Lomitas? What did they inspect about the horse first?
7. How did Monty feel about his experience with Harcourt in Chapter 5, Flag is Up Farms Regained? What was his next focus?
8. What young male deer does Monty describe in Chapter 6, Deer Friends?
9. How did meeting the Queen validate Monty? How did this relate to his father?
10. What did Monty often wonder about deer in the beginning of Chapter 6, Deer Friends?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What accusations were made in the book Horse Whispers & Lies? Who wrote this book? Do you agree with Monty or his relatives regarding his father's abuse? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Describe different examples of foreshadowing in the narrative and the theme of entrepreneurship in Monty's life. What creative ways did Monty go about earning money as a child?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Crawford Hall. What led to Hall's disability? How did Monty discover his friend had been paralyzed? How did Monty help his friend out?
This section contains 909 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)