|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color is Lomitas described as in the text?
2. How many mares did Lomitas go on to spawn after being retired?
3. What deer did Monty meet and describe as the "sweetest, kindest most attentive deer"?
4. Where would the young male deer in Chapter 6, Deer Friends go when Monty left the farm?
5. What did the young male deer in Chapter 6, Deer Friends love to eat?
Short Essay Questions
1. When did Monty meet the horse Lomitas? How was he brought to Monty?
2. What are some of the bizarre actions of the deer Yoplait in the narrative?
3. What did Monty often wonder about deer in the beginning of Chapter 6, Deer Friends?
4. What did Crawford Hall write in the text about his experience working at Flag is Up Farms?
5. How did Monty feel about having performed for and been approved by the Queen?
6. What happened to Lomitas in the end? How many mares did he go on to spawn?
7. What awards did Lomitas go on to earn after working with Monty?
8. What themes are reflected in Chapter 7, The Invitation That Changed My Life?
9. What was the Queen's reaction to Monty's work in Chapter 7, The Invitation That Changed My Life?
10. What experience did Monty have with the horse Prince of Darkness?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What accusations were made in the book Horse Whispers & Lies? Who wrote this book? Do you agree with Monty or his relatives regarding his father's abuse? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Describe bipolar disorder and "sand-castle syndrome." Who informed Monty of Harcourt's disease? What was Monty's reaction?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the setting of the narrative of Salinas, California in the 1930s and 40s. What caused the decline in the wild horse population? What global events took place at this time?
This section contains 849 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)