|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Meeting the Queen of England was what for Monty?
2. What young man did Monty have help him in working with Lomitas?
3. What name refers to a male deer?
4. Who did the young male deer hate in Chapter 6, Deer Friends?
5. What did Monty observe Lomitas for signs of first when working with him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What injury did Monty experience in Chapter 5, Flag is Up Farms Regained? How did he recover?
2. How did meeting the Queen validate Monty? How did this relate to his father?
3. When did Monty meet the horse Lomitas? How was he brought to Monty?
4. How did Monty feel about having performed for and been approved by the Queen?
5. What did Monty's work with deer show in terms of his abilities with animals?
6. What did Crawford Hall write in the text about his experience working at Flag is Up Farms?
7. What did Monty remark about fight-or-flight in deer? What did he name his first deer?
8. How did Monty feel performing before the Queen in Chapter 7, The Invitation That Changed My Life?
9. How did Monty feel about his experience with Harcourt in Chapter 5, Flag is Up Farms Regained? What was his next focus?
10. What themes are reflected in Chapter 7, The Invitation That Changed My Life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the animal body language, horse-training techniques, and Monty's experiences watching mustangs in the wild. How is their behavior described?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Monty's friendship with James Dean. How and where did they meet? What did Monty teach Dean?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the establishment of Flag is Up Farms in Santa Ynez, California. How long did the operation stay running? Is it still running today?
This section contains 866 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)