|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Monty's wife?
2. What did Monty never see any of from his film work?
3. What had actually injured Monty to the point of being hospitalized when he was a child in Chapter 2, Growing Up with Horses?
4. Who died in Chapter 3, East of Eden?
5. When observing the horses in the wild at age fourteen, Monty saw how a colt who was behaving badly was isolated by what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What opportunity did Harcourt offer Monty after he bought him horses in Chapter 4, The Sand-Castle Syndrome?
2. Where was the majority of the wild horse population in Monty's childhood? When and why did he first visit there?
3. What was Monty's reaction when Harcourt pulled out of the operation in Chapter 4, The Sand-Castle Syndrome?
4. What did Monty describe of his parents' financial situation growing up? What job did his father get for Monty?
5. Where did Monty Roberts develop his ideas about horses and horse-training? What are the basic tenets of his methodology?
6. How did the move in 1942 affect Monty? Why?
7. What awards does Monty describe having won in the beginning of Chapter 3, East of Eden?
8. Who did Monty meet at age 31 in Chapter 4, The Sand-Castle Syndrome?
9. What did Monty discover on his first trip for wild horses in Chapter 1, The Call of the Wild Horses?
10. What movie star did Monty meet on the set of "East of Eden"? What was this experience like?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the life and career of Monty Roberts. What elements of Roberts' work have made him stand out in the horse training world?
Essay Topic 2
Describe bipolar disorder and "sand-castle syndrome." Who informed Monty of Harcourt's disease? What was Monty's reaction?
Essay Topic 3
What accusations were made in the book Horse Whispers & Lies? Who wrote this book? Do you agree with Monty or his relatives regarding his father's abuse? Why?
This section contains 905 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)