|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Monty Roberts grow up?
2. Monty's father beat him on a weekly basis until he was how old?
3. What did Monty never see any of from his film work?
4. Who planned to buy a ranch in Salinas just before his untimely death in Chapter 3, East of Eden?
5. Monty won various competitions in Chapter 3, East of Eden, including what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Monty discover about Harcourt in Chapter 4, The Sand-Castle Syndrome? Who informed him of the condition?
2. Where was the majority of the wild horse population in Monty's childhood? When and why did he first visit there?
3. What idea did Monty present to the rodeo owner when he was fourteen in Chapter 1, The Call of the Wild Horses?
4. What loss did Monty suffer in Chapter 3, East of Eden? How did his father assist him in digging a grave?
5. How did the move in 1942 affect Monty? Why?
6. What budget did the millionaire in Chapter 4, The Sand-Castle Syndrome give Monty to guy two horses? What did he buy?
7. What was Monty's father's reaction when Monty showed him his techniques on horses as a child?
8. What movie star did Monty meet on the set of "East of Eden"? What was this experience like?
9. What realization did Monty have about competing in Chapter 3, East of Eden?
10. What did Monty discover on his first trip for wild horses in Chapter 1, The Call of the Wild Horses?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the Wild Horse Races and the Salinas Rodeo. Do Wild Horse Races still take place today? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Hastings Harcourt and the empire he inherited. Where did Harcourt have property? How much did he spend on horses?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Monty's friendship with James Dean. How and where did they meet? What did Monty teach Dean?
This section contains 873 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)