|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Hastings Harcourt ask Monty to personally do with his horses in Chapter 4, The Sand-Castle Syndrome?
2. What job did Monty's father take to bring in extra money in Chapter 2, Growing Up with Horses?
3. How long did Monty spend alone with the wild horses when he was fourteen?
4. One day when Monty's father hit him in Chapter 3, East of Eden, Monty did what?
5. Monty's wife was how many years behind him in school?
Short Essay Questions
1. What event led to the end of abuse suffered by Monty at the hands of his father in Chapter 3, East of Eden?
2. What loss did Monty suffer in Chapter 3, East of Eden? How did his father assist him in digging a grave?
3. Where did Monty Roberts develop his ideas about horses and horse-training? What are the basic tenets of his methodology?
4. What was Monty's father's reaction when Monty showed him his techniques on horses as a child?
5. What budget did the millionaire in Chapter 4, The Sand-Castle Syndrome give Monty to guy two horses? What did he buy?
6. What realization did Monty have about competing in Chapter 3, East of Eden?
7. What did Monty's father want for him as a child? When did Monty begin riding horses?
8. What does Monty write about the abuse he suffered from his father in Chapter 2, Growing Up with Horses? When did the abuse end?
9. How does Monty describe meeting Brownie in Chapter 2, Growing Up with Horses?
10. What movie star did Monty meet on the set of "East of Eden"? What was this experience like?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the setting of the narrative of Salinas, California in the 1930s and 40s. What caused the decline in the wild horse population? What global events took place at this time?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Monty's lower back problems and subsequent surgery. How likely was it for Monty to ride again? How successful was his surgery?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the Great Depression and the financial downfall which Monty's family faced. What protective laws or regulations ensured that child actors and stunt doubles were treated ethically at this time?
This section contains 929 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)