|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How was one of the mustangs injured in the race in Chapter 1, The Call of the Wild Horses?
2. Monty won various competitions in Chapter 3, East of Eden, including what?
3. What horse did Monty Roberts claim was his all-time favorite in Chapter 3, East of Eden?
4. In what year did Monty turn fourteen?
5. How old was Monty Roberts when he won his first riding trophy?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where did Monty Roberts develop his ideas about horses and horse-training? What are the basic tenets of his methodology?
2. What movie star did Monty meet on the set of "East of Eden"? What was this experience like?
3. What did Monty discover on his first trip for wild horses in Chapter 1, The Call of the Wild Horses?
4. What idea did Monty present to the rodeo owner when he was fourteen in Chapter 1, The Call of the Wild Horses?
5. How does Monty describe meeting Brownie in Chapter 2, Growing Up with Horses?
6. Who did Monty meet at age 31 in Chapter 4, The Sand-Castle Syndrome?
7. How did the move in 1942 affect Monty? Why?
8. What did Monty describe of his parents' financial situation growing up? What job did his father get for Monty?
9. What event led to the end of abuse suffered by Monty at the hands of his father in Chapter 3, East of Eden?
10. How did Monty branch into other sports after achieving freedom from his father?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Monty's lower back problems and subsequent surgery. How likely was it for Monty to ride again? How successful was his surgery?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Monty's relationship with his father and the theme of abuse in the narrative. Until what age was Monty regularly abused?
Essay Topic 3
Describe bipolar disorder and "sand-castle syndrome." Who informed Monty of Harcourt's disease? What was Monty's reaction?
This section contains 883 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)