|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of grades did Monty receive in school as a child?
2. What was one use for horses during World War II?
3. What event was part of the Salinas Rodeo during Monty's childhood?
4. What is the name of Monty's wife?
5. Where were the horses on Monty's family's farm sent when they had to move in Chapter 2, Growing Up with Horses?
Short Essay Questions
1. What opportunity did Harcourt offer Monty after he bought him horses in Chapter 4, The Sand-Castle Syndrome?
2. What did Monty discover about Harcourt in Chapter 4, The Sand-Castle Syndrome? Who informed him of the condition?
3. What young male deer does Monty describe in Chapter 6, Deer Friends?
4. What does the appendix to the book offer by way of practical advice?
5. What realization did Monty have about competing in Chapter 3, East of Eden?
6. How did Monty feel about having performed for and been approved by the Queen?
7. Who assisted Monty in working with Lomitas? What did they inspect about the horse first?
8. What are some of the bizarre actions of the deer Yoplait in the narrative?
9. How did Monty feel performing before the Queen in Chapter 7, The Invitation That Changed My Life?
10. How was Monty able to adopt a mustang in Chapter 9, Full Circle?
Essay Topic 1
Describe the effect of Japanese-American internment camps in California and the impact of moving on Monty. Who amongst Monty's friends or acquaintances was imprisoned? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the horse Brownie and the lessons Monty learned from working with him. How was Brownie traumatized by Monty's father?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the Great Depression and the financial downfall which Monty's family faced. What protective laws or regulations ensured that child actors and stunt doubles were treated ethically at this time?
This section contains 1,281 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)