|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Hastings Harcourt ask Monty to personally do with his horses in Chapter 4, The Sand-Castle Syndrome?
2. Who informed Monty of Hasting Harcourt's "sand-castle syndrome"?
3. Monty realized in Chapter 3, East of Eden that most of his competitors had nowhere near as much what as he did?
4. When horses have their head high and forward ears, it shows they are interested in something where?
5. In what year did Monty get married?
Short Essay Questions
1. What awards does Monty describe having won in the beginning of Chapter 3, East of Eden?
2. What budget did the millionaire in Chapter 4, The Sand-Castle Syndrome give Monty to guy two horses? What did he buy?
3. What loss did Monty suffer in Chapter 3, East of Eden? How did his father assist him in digging a grave?
4. Where did Monty Roberts develop his ideas about horses and horse-training? What are the basic tenets of his methodology?
5. How did Monty branch into other sports after achieving freedom from his father?
6. What realization did Monty have about competing in Chapter 3, East of Eden?
7. What was Monty's reaction when Harcourt pulled out of the operation in Chapter 4, The Sand-Castle Syndrome?
8. What was Monty's father's reaction when Monty showed him his techniques on horses as a child?
9. What opportunity did Harcourt offer Monty after he bought him horses in Chapter 4, The Sand-Castle Syndrome?
10. What event led to the end of abuse suffered by Monty at the hands of his father in Chapter 3, East of Eden?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Monty's lower back problems and subsequent surgery. How likely was it for Monty to ride again? How successful was his surgery?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the film East of Eden, Elia Kazan and James Dean. When and where was East of Eden produced? What is the subject of the movie?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the transition of Monty's relationship with his father. How large was Monty as a child? When was he capable of standing up to his father?
This section contains 856 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)