|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year in Chapter 2, Growing Up with Horses did Monty's family have to leave their home?
2. How many horses did Hastings Harcourt ask Monty to buy for him initially?
3. What did Monty decide to secretly do with Hastings Harcourt's horses in Chapter 4, The Sand-Castle Syndrome?
4. When a horse was injured in the race, people wanted it to be shipped off for what purpose in Chapter 1, The Call of the Wild Horses?
5. What kind tutor with a 1940s hairstyle was Monty's babysitter and also his teacher?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Monty describe meeting Brownie in Chapter 2, Growing Up with Horses?
2. What was the Queen's reaction to Monty's work in Chapter 7, The Invitation That Changed My Life?
3. What was Monty's father's reaction when Monty showed him his techniques on horses as a child?
4. What did Crawford Hall write in the text about his experience working at Flag is Up Farms?
5. What are some of the bizarre actions of the deer Yoplait in the narrative?
6. How did Monty feel performing before the Queen in Chapter 7, The Invitation That Changed My Life?
7. What did Monty suggest his disabled friend could use in order to return to work for him in Chapter 5, Flag is Up Farms Regained?
8. What life goal did Monty hope to achieve in Chapter 9, Full Circle? Who assisted him?
9. What position did Harcourt offer Monty at the facility in Chapter 4, The Sand-Castle Syndrome? How did it develop?
10. What opportunity did Harcourt offer Monty after he bought him horses in Chapter 4, The Sand-Castle Syndrome?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the setting of the narrative of Salinas, California in the 1930s and 40s. What caused the decline in the wild horse population? What global events took place at this time?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the transition of Monty's relationship with his father. How large was Monty as a child? When was he capable of standing up to his father?
Essay Topic 3
Describe different examples of foreshadowing in the narrative and the theme of entrepreneurship in Monty's life. What creative ways did Monty go about earning money as a child?
This section contains 1,335 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)