|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long did Monty spend alone with the wild horses when he was fourteen?
2. Where were the horses on Monty's family's farm sent when they had to move in Chapter 2, Growing Up with Horses?
3. What were the horse competition areas of Salinas used for, causing Monty's family to have to move in Chapter 2, Growing Up with Horses?
4. How many horses did Hastings Harcourt ask Monty to buy for him initially?
5. What did Monty's father find Monty's compassionate methods of training horses to be?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Monty do when he realized he wanted to hit his father in Chapter 3, East of Eden? What did his father offer him?
2. What awards does Monty describe having won in the beginning of Chapter 3, East of Eden?
3. What did Monty discover about Harcourt in Chapter 4, The Sand-Castle Syndrome? Who informed him of the condition?
4. What opportunity did Harcourt offer Monty after he bought him horses in Chapter 4, The Sand-Castle Syndrome?
5. Why did Monty's family move in 1942? What happened to their horses?
6. What did Monty's father want for him as a child? When did Monty begin riding horses?
7. What event led to the end of abuse suffered by Monty at the hands of his father in Chapter 3, East of Eden?
8. What was Monty's father's reaction when Monty showed him his techniques on horses as a child?
9. What movie star did Monty meet on the set of "East of Eden"? What was this experience like?
10. Where was the majority of the wild horse population in Monty's childhood? When and why did he first visit there?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the courting and wedding of Monty and Patricia in the narrative. How did Pat contribute to Monty's theories and work?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the life and career of Monty Roberts. What elements of Roberts' work have made him stand out in the horse training world?
Essay Topic 3
Describe bipolar disorder and "sand-castle syndrome." Who informed Monty of Harcourt's disease? What was Monty's reaction?
This section contains 907 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)