|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long did Monty spend alone with the wild horses when he was fourteen?
2. Monty's father beat him with what when he was a child?
3. In Chapter 3, East of Eden, Monty won races with his own horse and how many other horses that were highly trained?
4. How old was Monty when he met Hastings Harcourt?
5. What horse did Monty Roberts claim was his all-time favorite in Chapter 3, East of Eden?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Monty develop his techniques in his teens? What basic concepts were established?
2. What realization did Monty have about competing in Chapter 3, East of Eden?
3. What did Monty discover about Harcourt in Chapter 4, The Sand-Castle Syndrome? Who informed him of the condition?
4. For whom did Monty perform as a stunt double when a child? Who arranged his contracts?
5. What budget did the millionaire in Chapter 4, The Sand-Castle Syndrome give Monty to guy two horses? What did he buy?
6. Why did Monty's family move in 1942? What happened to their horses?
7. What event led to the end of abuse suffered by Monty at the hands of his father in Chapter 3, East of Eden?
8. Where did Monty Roberts develop his ideas about horses and horse-training? What are the basic tenets of his methodology?
9. What movie star did Monty meet on the set of "East of Eden"? What was this experience like?
10. What idea did Monty present to the rodeo owner when he was fourteen in Chapter 1, The Call of the Wild Horses?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Monty's friendship with James Dean. How and where did they meet? What did Monty teach Dean?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Hastings Harcourt and the empire he inherited. Where did Harcourt have property? How much did he spend on horses?
Essay Topic 3
Describe different examples of foreshadowing in the narrative and the theme of entrepreneurship in Monty's life. What creative ways did Monty go about earning money as a child?
This section contains 872 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)