|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Monty Roberts was born in the middle of what American era?
2. What does Monty refer to as "the most wonderful and the most predictable creatures on earth"?
3. When horses have their head high and forward ears, it shows they are interested in something where?
4. When observing the horses in the wild at age fourteen, Monty saw how a colt who was behaving badly was isolated by what?
5. Monty won various competitions in Chapter 3, East of Eden, including what?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Monty develop his techniques in his teens? What basic concepts were established?
2. Why did Monty's family move in 1942? What happened to their horses?
3. Where was the majority of the wild horse population in Monty's childhood? When and why did he first visit there?
4. How did the move in 1942 affect Monty? Why?
5. For whom did Monty perform as a stunt double when a child? Who arranged his contracts?
6. What opportunity did Harcourt offer Monty after he bought him horses in Chapter 4, The Sand-Castle Syndrome?
7. How did Monty branch into other sports after achieving freedom from his father?
8. What idea did Monty present to the rodeo owner when he was fourteen in Chapter 1, The Call of the Wild Horses?
9. How many wild horses did Monty return with in Chapter 1, The Call of the Wild Horses? What was his response to the rodeo show?
10. What awards does Monty describe having won in the beginning of Chapter 3, East of Eden?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the competitions Monty Roberts participated in during his teenage years and the awards he won. How many awards did Roberts earn between 1940 and 1955?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Hastings Harcourt and the empire he inherited. Where did Harcourt have property? How much did he spend on horses?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the horse Brownie and the lessons Monty learned from working with him. How was Brownie traumatized by Monty's father?
This section contains 845 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)