|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Monty illustrated his method for a horse trainer he knew in Chapter 1, The Call of the Wild Horses, the trainer said that it was a what?
2. When horses have their head high and forward ears, it shows they are interested in something where?
3. What did Monty feel once in Nevada in Chapter 1, The Call of the Wild Horses?
4. At what age did Monty first volunteer to gather wild mustangs for the Salinas Rodeo?
5. How much did Monty's father ask for rent from Monty in Chapter 3, East of Eden?
Short Essay Questions
1. What setting does Monty Roberts depict in Chapter 1, The Call of the Wild Horses?
2. What did the crowd yell when horses were injured at the rodeo in Chapter 1, The Call of the Wild Horses? Why?
3. How many wild horses did Monty return with in Chapter 1, The Call of the Wild Horses? What was his response to the rodeo show?
4. How did the move in 1942 affect Monty? Why?
5. What realization did Monty have about competing in Chapter 3, East of Eden?
6. Where did Monty Roberts develop his ideas about horses and horse-training? What are the basic tenets of his methodology?
7. What opportunity did Harcourt offer Monty after he bought him horses in Chapter 4, The Sand-Castle Syndrome?
8. Where was the majority of the wild horse population in Monty's childhood? When and why did he first visit there?
9. How did Monty meet Patricia? What role has she played in his life?
10. What did Monty discover about Harcourt in Chapter 4, The Sand-Castle Syndrome? Who informed him of the condition?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Monty's lower back problems and subsequent surgery. How likely was it for Monty to ride again? How successful was his surgery?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Hastings Harcourt and the empire he inherited. Where did Harcourt have property? How much did he spend on horses?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the animal body language, horse-training techniques, and Monty's experiences watching mustangs in the wild. How is their behavior described?
This section contains 883 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)