|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Hastings Harcourt tell Monty he had property and wanted to open a full-scale thoroughbred facility?
2. How old was Hastings Harcourt when he met Monty?
3. What did Monty feel once in Nevada in Chapter 1, The Call of the Wild Horses?
4. What did Monty watch the mustangs do when entering the race in Chapter 1, The Call of the Wild Horses?
5. How many horses did Hastings Harcourt ask Monty to buy for him initially?
Short Essay Questions
1. What awards does Monty describe having won in the beginning of Chapter 3, East of Eden?
2. What did Monty discover about Harcourt in Chapter 4, The Sand-Castle Syndrome? Who informed him of the condition?
3. What event led to the end of abuse suffered by Monty at the hands of his father in Chapter 3, East of Eden?
4. Where was the majority of the wild horse population in Monty's childhood? When and why did he first visit there?
5. What idea did Monty present to the rodeo owner when he was fourteen in Chapter 1, The Call of the Wild Horses?
6. What was Monty's reaction when Harcourt pulled out of the operation in Chapter 4, The Sand-Castle Syndrome?
7. What does Monty write about the abuse he suffered from his father in Chapter 2, Growing Up with Horses? When did the abuse end?
8. For whom did Monty perform as a stunt double when a child? Who arranged his contracts?
9. What did Monty do when he realized he wanted to hit his father in Chapter 3, East of Eden? What did his father offer him?
10. What opportunity did Harcourt offer Monty after he bought him horses in Chapter 4, The Sand-Castle Syndrome?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the effect of Japanese-American internment camps in California and the impact of moving on Monty. Who amongst Monty's friends or acquaintances was imprisoned? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Describe bipolar disorder and "sand-castle syndrome." Who informed Monty of Harcourt's disease? What was Monty's reaction?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the animal body language, horse-training techniques, and Monty's experiences watching mustangs in the wild. How is their behavior described?
This section contains 899 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)