|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Monty's wife was how many years behind him in school?
2. How many mustangs did Monty return from Nevada with in Chapter 1, The Call of the Wild Horses?
3. What kind of grades did Monty receive in school as a child?
4. Where did Hastings Harcourt tell Monty he had property and wanted to open a full-scale thoroughbred facility?
5. How many horses did Hastings Harcourt ask Monty to buy for him initially?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Monty develop his techniques in his teens? What basic concepts were established?
2. How did Monty branch into other sports after achieving freedom from his father?
3. What did Monty discover on his first trip for wild horses in Chapter 1, The Call of the Wild Horses?
4. What movie star did Monty meet on the set of "East of Eden"? What was this experience like?
5. What was Monty's father's reaction when Monty showed him his techniques on horses as a child?
6. What awards does Monty describe having won in the beginning of Chapter 3, East of Eden?
7. What realization did Monty have about competing in Chapter 3, East of Eden?
8. How did the move in 1942 affect Monty? Why?
9. What budget did the millionaire in Chapter 4, The Sand-Castle Syndrome give Monty to guy two horses? What did he buy?
10. How did Monty meet Patricia? What role has she played in his life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the establishment of Flag is Up Farms in Santa Ynez, California. How long did the operation stay running? Is it still running today?
Essay Topic 2
Describe different examples of foreshadowing in the narrative and the theme of entrepreneurship in Monty's life. What creative ways did Monty go about earning money as a child?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the effect of Japanese-American internment camps in California and the impact of moving on Monty. Who amongst Monty's friends or acquaintances was imprisoned? Why?
This section contains 870 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)