|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who planned to buy a ranch in Salinas just before his untimely death in Chapter 3, East of Eden?
2. What did Monty recoil from when watching the Wild Mustang Race in Chapter 1, The Call of the Wild Horses?
3. What does Monty refer to as "the most wonderful and the most predictable creatures on earth"?
4. How many mustangs did Monty return from Nevada with in Chapter 1, The Call of the Wild Horses?
5. What did Monty's father find Monty's compassionate methods of training horses to be?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Monty write about the abuse he suffered from his father in Chapter 2, Growing Up with Horses? When did the abuse end?
2. How did Monty meet Patricia? What role has she played in his life?
3. What did Monty describe of his parents' financial situation growing up? What job did his father get for Monty?
4. How did Monty branch into other sports after achieving freedom from his father?
5. What loss did Monty suffer in Chapter 3, East of Eden? How did his father assist him in digging a grave?
6. What idea did Monty present to the rodeo owner when he was fourteen in Chapter 1, The Call of the Wild Horses?
7. What did Monty do when he realized he wanted to hit his father in Chapter 3, East of Eden? What did his father offer him?
8. How does Monty describe meeting Brownie in Chapter 2, Growing Up with Horses?
9. What was Monty's father's reaction when Monty showed him his techniques on horses as a child?
10. Where was the majority of the wild horse population in Monty's childhood? When and why did he first visit there?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the horse Brownie and the lessons Monty learned from working with him. How was Brownie traumatized by Monty's father?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the courting and wedding of Monty and Patricia in the narrative. How did Pat contribute to Monty's theories and work?
Essay Topic 3
What accusations were made in the book Horse Whispers & Lies? Who wrote this book? Do you agree with Monty or his relatives regarding his father's abuse? Why?
This section contains 906 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)