|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Monty's father offer to rent to Monty in Chapter 3, East of Eden?
2. What name did Hastings Harcourt give to the thoroughbred facility in Chapter 4, The Sand-Castle Syndrome?
3. In what year did Monty get married?
4. When Monty illustrated his method for a horse trainer he knew in Chapter 1, The Call of the Wild Horses, the trainer said that it was a what?
5. "Sand-castle syndrome" indicates that someone gets joy in creating something then what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What budget did the millionaire in Chapter 4, The Sand-Castle Syndrome give Monty to guy two horses? What did he buy?
2. Where did Monty Roberts develop his ideas about horses and horse-training? What are the basic tenets of his methodology?
3. What was Monty's reaction when Harcourt pulled out of the operation in Chapter 4, The Sand-Castle Syndrome?
4. What opportunity did Harcourt offer Monty after he bought him horses in Chapter 4, The Sand-Castle Syndrome?
5. How does Monty describe meeting Brownie in Chapter 2, Growing Up with Horses?
6. What did Monty do when he realized he wanted to hit his father in Chapter 3, East of Eden? What did his father offer him?
7. What position did Harcourt offer Monty at the facility in Chapter 4, The Sand-Castle Syndrome? How did it develop?
8. What did Monty describe of his parents' financial situation growing up? What job did his father get for Monty?
9. How many wild horses did Monty return with in Chapter 1, The Call of the Wild Horses? What was his response to the rodeo show?
10. What awards does Monty describe having won in the beginning of Chapter 3, East of Eden?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the transition of Monty's relationship with his father. How large was Monty as a child? When was he capable of standing up to his father?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the establishment of Flag is Up Farms in Santa Ynez, California. How long did the operation stay running? Is it still running today?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the setting of the narrative of Salinas, California in the 1930s and 40s. What caused the decline in the wild horse population? What global events took place at this time?
This section contains 931 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)