|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What psychological disorder did Hastings Harcourt suffer from?
2. Who died in Chapter 3, East of Eden?
3. When Monty illustrated his method for a horse trainer he knew in Chapter 1, The Call of the Wild Horses, the trainer said that it was a what?
4. When observing the horses in the wild at age fourteen, Monty saw how a colt who was behaving badly was isolated by what?
5. When did Monty realize was the best time for observing the wild horses' relaxed social interaction in Chapter 1, The Call of the Wild Horses?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Monty do when he realized he wanted to hit his father in Chapter 3, East of Eden? What did his father offer him?
2. What idea did Monty present to the rodeo owner when he was fourteen in Chapter 1, The Call of the Wild Horses?
3. How did Monty develop his techniques in his teens? What basic concepts were established?
4. Why did Monty's family move in 1942? What happened to their horses?
5. What did Monty's father want for him as a child? When did Monty begin riding horses?
6. How did Monty branch into other sports after achieving freedom from his father?
7. Where was the majority of the wild horse population in Monty's childhood? When and why did he first visit there?
8. How did Monty meet Patricia? What role has she played in his life?
9. What awards does Monty describe having won in the beginning of Chapter 3, East of Eden?
10. How many wild horses did Monty return with in Chapter 1, The Call of the Wild Horses? What was his response to the rodeo show?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Hastings Harcourt and the empire he inherited. Where did Harcourt have property? How much did he spend on horses?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the Great Depression and the financial downfall which Monty's family faced. What protective laws or regulations ensured that child actors and stunt doubles were treated ethically at this time?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the transition of Monty's relationship with his father. How large was Monty as a child? When was he capable of standing up to his father?
This section contains 904 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)