|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the others who went to Nevada with Monty in Chapter 1, The Call of the Wild Horses, want to do?
2. How many children did Monty and his wife have?
3. What did Hastings Harcourt ask Monty to personally do with his horses in Chapter 4, The Sand-Castle Syndrome?
4. Where was most of the wild horse population during Monty's childhood?
5. Who planned to buy a ranch in Salinas just before his untimely death in Chapter 3, East of Eden?
Short Essay Questions
1. How many wild horses did Monty return with in Chapter 1, The Call of the Wild Horses? What was his response to the rodeo show?
2. What did Monty discover on his first trip for wild horses in Chapter 1, The Call of the Wild Horses?
3. For whom did Monty perform as a stunt double when a child? Who arranged his contracts?
4. What was Monty's reaction when Harcourt pulled out of the operation in Chapter 4, The Sand-Castle Syndrome?
5. Where did Monty Roberts develop his ideas about horses and horse-training? What are the basic tenets of his methodology?
6. How did Monty meet Patricia? What role has she played in his life?
7. How does Monty describe meeting Brownie in Chapter 2, Growing Up with Horses?
8. What idea did Monty present to the rodeo owner when he was fourteen in Chapter 1, The Call of the Wild Horses?
9. What was Monty's father's reaction when Monty showed him his techniques on horses as a child?
10. What did Monty describe of his parents' financial situation growing up? What job did his father get for Monty?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Hastings Harcourt and the empire he inherited. Where did Harcourt have property? How much did he spend on horses?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Monty's relationship with his father and the theme of abuse in the narrative. Until what age was Monty regularly abused?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the Wild Horse Races and the Salinas Rodeo. Do Wild Horse Races still take place today? Why or why not?
This section contains 923 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)