|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Monty's father beat him with what when he was a child?
(a) A closed fist.
(b) A switch.
(c) An extension cord.
(d) A chain.
2. Monty won various competitions in Chapter 3, East of Eden, including what?
(b) Dog racing.
(c) Snake charming.
(d) Dog training.
3. What did the audience yell when one of the horses was injured in Chapter 1, The Call of the Wild Horses?
(a) Crow's bait.
(b) Hog Jowels.
(c) Holy makerel.
(d) Jumpin' catfish.
4. Hastings Harcourt was the son of what publishing giant?
(a) Tate Publishing.
(b) Harcourt Brace and World.
(c) Johnson, Stevens, and Smith.
(d) Whitmore Publishing.
5. Who planned to buy a ranch in Salinas just before his untimely death in Chapter 3, East of Eden?
(a) Burl Ives.
(b) Don Page.
(c) James Dean.
(d) Raymond Massey.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Monty's father never show him as a child?
2. Where did Monty go to look for wild horses at age fourteen?
3. Who helped Monty with rent money in Chapter 3, East of Eden?
4. Monty's father seemed to care little whether his son was treated ethically where in Chapter 2, Growing Up with Horses?
5. When horses have their head high and forward ears, it shows they are interested in something where?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Monty discover on his first trip for wild horses in Chapter 1, The Call of the Wild Horses?
2. What did Monty describe of his parents' financial situation growing up? What job did his father get for Monty?
3. What did Monty's father want for him as a child? When did Monty begin riding horses?
4. What idea did Monty present to the rodeo owner when he was fourteen in Chapter 1, The Call of the Wild Horses?
5. How was Monty able to adopt a mustang in Chapter 9, Full Circle?
6. How does Monty describe meeting Brownie in Chapter 2, Growing Up with Horses?
7. What themes are reflected in Chapter 7, The Invitation That Changed My Life?
8. How did meeting the Queen validate Monty? How did this relate to his father?
9. What movie star did Monty meet on the set of "East of Eden"? What was this experience like?
10. What deer did Monty refer to as the sweetest? What did she teach him about deer?
This section contains 937 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)