|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who directed the film "East of Eden"?
(a) John Huston.
(b) Ingmar Bergman.
(c) Alfred Hitchcock.
(d) Elia Kazan.
2. What horse which Monty bought for Hastings Harcourt ended up being ranked the best 3 year old in California?
3. Where did Hastings Harcourt tell Monty he had property and wanted to open a full-scale thoroughbred facility?
(a) Santa Ynez.
(b) Santa Monica.
(c) Santa Ana.
(d) Santa Barbara.
4. Monty's father seemed to care little whether his son was treated ethically where in Chapter 2, Growing Up with Horses?
(a) On movie sets.
(b) At school.
(c) At church.
(d) In restraurants.
5. What did Monty's parents claim had injured him when they put him in the hospital in Chapter 2, Growing Up with Horses?
(a) The horses.
(b) An ox.
(c) A flock of sheep.
(d) The barn.
Short Answer Questions
1. What job did Monty's father take to bring in extra money in Chapter 2, Growing Up with Horses?
2. Where was most of the wild horse population during Monty's childhood?
3. What sign of obedience did Monty observe when a colt was turned away in Chapter 1, The Call of the Wild Horses?
4. Who, along with the director, asked Monty to watch the dailies and give his thoughts on "East of Eden"?
5. How old was Monty when he met Hastings Harcourt?
Short Essay Questions
1. What event led to the end of abuse suffered by Monty at the hands of his father in Chapter 3, East of Eden?
2. Where was the majority of the wild horse population in Monty's childhood? When and why did he first visit there?
3. What does Monty write about the abuse he suffered from his father in Chapter 2, Growing Up with Horses? When did the abuse end?
4. How did Monty develop his techniques in his teens? What basic concepts were established?
5. What did the crowd yell when horses were injured at the rodeo in Chapter 1, The Call of the Wild Horses? Why?
6. How did the move in 1942 affect Monty? Why?
7. Why did Monty's family move in 1942? What happened to their horses?
8. What awards does Monty describe having won in the beginning of Chapter 3, East of Eden?
9. What opportunity did Harcourt offer Monty after he bought him horses in Chapter 4, The Sand-Castle Syndrome?
10. What loss did Monty suffer in Chapter 3, East of Eden? How did his father assist him in digging a grave?
This section contains 934 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)