|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Monty's father hit his horse with to "break it" in Chapter 2, Growing Up with Horses?
(d) A whip.
2. Where did Hastings Harcourt tell Monty he had property and wanted to open a full-scale thoroughbred facility?
(a) Santa Monica.
(b) Santa Ana.
(c) Santa Barbara.
(d) Santa Ynez.
3. Who, along with the director, asked Monty to watch the dailies and give his thoughts on "East of Eden"?
(a) Raymond Massey.
(b) Don Page.
(c) James Dean.
(d) Burl Ives.
4. How many horses did Hastings Harcourt ask Monty to buy for him initially?
5. What were the horse competition areas of Salinas used for, causing Monty's family to have to move in Chapter 2, Growing Up with Horses?
(a) Nuclear test site.
(b) Japanese-American internment camps.
(d) Army barracks.
Short Answer Questions
1. What psychological disorder did Hastings Harcourt suffer from?
2. What did Monty's parents claim had injured him when they put him in the hospital in Chapter 2, Growing Up with Horses?
3. What did Monty begin calling his method of horse training while in his teens?
4. What did Hastings Harcourt ask Monty to personally do with his horses in Chapter 4, The Sand-Castle Syndrome?
5. How old was Monty when his father brutally beat a black man to death in Chapter 2, Growing Up with Horses?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Monty's father want for him as a child? When did Monty begin riding horses?
2. Where did Monty Roberts develop his ideas about horses and horse-training? What are the basic tenets of his methodology?
3. What idea did Monty present to the rodeo owner when he was fourteen in Chapter 1, The Call of the Wild Horses?
4. How did Monty branch into other sports after achieving freedom from his father?
5. Who did Monty meet at age 31 in Chapter 4, The Sand-Castle Syndrome?
6. What was Monty's reaction when Harcourt pulled out of the operation in Chapter 4, The Sand-Castle Syndrome?
7. What realization did Monty have about competing in Chapter 3, East of Eden?
8. How did the move in 1942 affect Monty? Why?
9. What did Monty describe of his parents' financial situation growing up? What job did his father get for Monty?
10. What did Monty discover about Harcourt in Chapter 4, The Sand-Castle Syndrome? Who informed him of the condition?
This section contains 929 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)