|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Monty's mother was the oldest of how many children?
2. What were the horse competition areas of Salinas used for, causing Monty's family to have to move in Chapter 2, Growing Up with Horses?
(b) Army barracks.
(c) Nuclear test site.
(d) Japanese-American internment camps.
3. How much did Monty's father ask for rent from Monty in Chapter 3, East of Eden?
(b) A large amount.
(c) A small amount.
(d) A reasonable amount.
4. Who, along with the director, asked Monty to watch the dailies and give his thoughts on "East of Eden"?
(a) Raymond Massey.
(b) Don Page.
(c) Burl Ives.
(d) James Dean.
5. Who informed Monty of Hasting Harcourt's "sand-castle syndrome"?
(a) Harcourt's psychiatrist.
(b) Harcourt's boss.
(c) Harcourt's wife.
(d) Harcourt's friend.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was Monty Roberts when he won his first riding trophy?
2. What did Monty's father rent to help dig a grave in Chapter 3, East of Eden?
3. Once Monty was free to some extent from his father's rule, he decided that instead of doing rodeos, he would join the wrestling and what team?
4. Where did Hastings Harcourt tell Monty he had property and wanted to open a full-scale thoroughbred facility?
5. What did Hastings Harcourt ask Monty to personally do with his horses in Chapter 4, The Sand-Castle Syndrome?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where did Monty Roberts develop his ideas about horses and horse-training? What are the basic tenets of his methodology?
2. Why did Monty's family move in 1942? What happened to their horses?
3. What event led to the end of abuse suffered by Monty at the hands of his father in Chapter 3, East of Eden?
4. What realization did Monty have about competing in Chapter 3, East of Eden?
5. What movie star did Monty meet on the set of "East of Eden"? What was this experience like?
6. Where was the majority of the wild horse population in Monty's childhood? When and why did he first visit there?
7. How does Monty describe meeting Brownie in Chapter 2, Growing Up with Horses?
8. How did the move in 1942 affect Monty? Why?
9. What did Monty discover about Harcourt in Chapter 4, The Sand-Castle Syndrome? Who informed him of the condition?
10. For whom did Monty perform as a stunt double when a child? Who arranged his contracts?
This section contains 925 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)