|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where was the house in the middle of Salinas that Monty and his family moved to in Chapter 2, Growing Up with Horses?
(a) 664 Moses Boulevard.
(b) 1984 Mission Lane.
(c) 347 Church Street.
(d) 4202 Moral Way.
2. What had actually injured Monty to the point of being hospitalized when he was a child in Chapter 2, Growing Up with Horses?
(a) A train.
(b) His father.
(d) A car.
3. Monty's father beat him with what when he was a child?
(a) A switch.
(b) A closed fist.
(c) A chain.
(d) An extension cord.
4. One day when Monty's father hit him in Chapter 3, East of Eden, Monty did what?
(a) Choked him.
(b) Grabbed him by the hair.
(c) Backed him against a wall.
(d) Punched him in the face.
5. In what year did Monty turn fourteen?
Short Answer Questions
1. Monty's mother was the oldest of how many children?
2. What psychological disorder did Hastings Harcourt suffer from?
3. How was one of the mustangs injured in the race in Chapter 1, The Call of the Wild Horses?
4. Monty's method of training horses was largely based on cultivating what with the animal?
5. When observing the horses in the wild at age fourteen, Monty saw how a colt who was behaving badly was isolated by what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What deer did Monty refer to as the sweetest? What did she teach him about deer?
2. What realization did Monty have about competing in Chapter 3, East of Eden?
3. What did Monty write of achieving the Queen's approval in Chapter 7, The Invitation That Changed My Life?
4. What did Monty discover about Harcourt in Chapter 4, The Sand-Castle Syndrome? Who informed him of the condition?
5. Why did Monty's family move in 1942? What happened to their horses?
6. What are some of the bizarre actions of the deer Yoplait in the narrative?
7. What horse passed away in Chapter 5, Flag is Up Farms Regained? How does Monty describe him?
8. How did Monty meet Patricia? What role has she played in his life?
9. What experience did Monty have with the horse Prince of Darkness?
10. What does Monty write about the abuse he suffered from his father in Chapter 2, Growing Up with Horses? When did the abuse end?
This section contains 931 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)