|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Monty recoil from when watching the Wild Mustang Race in Chapter 1, The Call of the Wild Horses?
(a) The speed.
(b) The police.
(c) The money.
(d) The cruelty.
2. In what year was "East of Eden" shot in Salinas?
3. What were the horse competition areas of Salinas used for, causing Monty's family to have to move in Chapter 2, Growing Up with Horses?
(a) Army barracks.
(b) Japanese-American internment camps.
(c) Nuclear test site.
4. What sign of obedience did Monty observe when a colt was turned away in Chapter 1, The Call of the Wild Horses?
(a) Pacing with head to the ground.
(b) Bowing down.
(c) Eye contact.
(d) Faint vocalizations.
5. Monty's family's friend had what position on the set of "East of Eden"?
(a) Third HC.
(b) Second NR.
(c) Fifth AB.
(d) First AD.
6. What event was part of the Salinas Rodeo during Monty's childhood?
(a) The Wild Horse Race.
(b) The Hungry Hog Race.
(c) The Mayor's Chicken Catch.
(d) The Backward Mule Ride.
7. How old was Monty when he met Hastings Harcourt?
8. What did the others who went to Nevada with Monty in Chapter 1, The Call of the Wild Horses, want to do?
(a) Move on to Oregon.
(b) Stay in the wilderness indefinitely.
(c) Return to Salinas quickly.
(d) Stay in Nevada.
9. Once Monty was free to some extent from his father's rule, he decided that instead of doing rodeos, he would join the wrestling and what team?
10. What role did Hastings Harcourt ask Monty to hold at the thoroughbred facility in Chapter 4, The Sand-Castle Syndrome?
(a) Master Trainer.
(b) Night Manager.
(d) Managing Partner.
11. What percent of the thoroughbred facility did Monty receive with the option of buying in more later in Chapter 4, The Sand-Castle Syndrome?
(a) Five percent.
(b) Ten percent.
(c) Eight percent.
(d) Twenty percent.
12. What did Monty's father hit his horse with to "break it" in Chapter 2, Growing Up with Horses?
(d) A whip.
13. How many siblings does Monty Roberts have?
14. Monty's mother was the oldest of how many children?
15. What did Monty's father offer to rent to Monty in Chapter 3, East of Eden?
(a) A barn.
(b) A horse.
(c) A truck.
(d) A tractor.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the second horse bought for Hastings Harcourt by Monty in Chapter 4, The Sand-Castle Syndrome?
2. How old was Monty when his father brutally beat a black man to death in Chapter 2, Growing Up with Horses?
3. "Sand-castle syndrome" indicates that someone gets joy in creating something then what?
4. Who planned to buy a ranch in Salinas just before his untimely death in Chapter 3, East of Eden?
5. When did Monty realize was the best time for observing the wild horses' relaxed social interaction in Chapter 1, The Call of the Wild Horses?
This section contains 476 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)