|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who planned to buy a ranch in Salinas just before his untimely death in Chapter 3, East of Eden?
(a) Don Page.
(b) Burl Ives.
(c) James Dean.
(d) Raymond Massey.
2. Monty's wife was how many years behind him in school?
3. What did Monty begin calling his method of horse training while in his teens?
(a) "Whispering horses."
(b) "Starting horses."
(c) "Breaking horses."
(d) "Listening to horses."
4. Who died in Chapter 3, East of Eden?
(b) Snow White.
5. Hastings Harcourt was the son of what publishing giant?
(a) Whitmore Publishing.
(b) Harcourt Brace and World.
(c) Johnson, Stevens, and Smith.
(d) Tate Publishing.
6. What did Monty recoil from when watching the Wild Mustang Race in Chapter 1, The Call of the Wild Horses?
(a) The cruelty.
(b) The police.
(c) The speed.
(d) The money.
7. What kind of grades did Monty receive in school as a child?
(a) D's and F's.
(b) B's and C's.
(c) All A's.
(d) C's and D's.
8. How was one of the mustangs injured in the race in Chapter 1, The Call of the Wild Horses?
(a) Broken leg.
(b) Trampled to death.
(c) Broken jaw.
(d) Broken neck.
9. What was the second horse bought for Hastings Harcourt by Monty in Chapter 4, The Sand-Castle Syndrome?
10. What job did Monty's father get him in Chapter 2, Growing Up with Horses?
(a) Stunt Double.
(b) Bull rider.
(c) Rodeo Clown.
11. What percent of the thoroughbred facility did Monty receive with the option of buying in more later in Chapter 4, The Sand-Castle Syndrome?
(a) Eight percent.
(b) Twenty percent.
(c) Ten percent.
(d) Five percent.
12. What was the name of the medium brown horse with a white dot between his eyes that Monty met in Chapter 2, Growing Up with Horses?
(b) Eye patch.
13. In Chapter 3, East of Eden, Monty won races with his own horse and how many other horses that were highly trained?
14. When did Monty realize was the best time for observing the wild horses' relaxed social interaction in Chapter 1, The Call of the Wild Horses?
(a) March and April.
(c) Mating season.
(d) Around the equinox.
15. In what year in Chapter 2, Growing Up with Horses did Monty's family have to leave their home?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was most of the wild horse population during Monty's childhood?
2. Where did Monty go to look for wild horses at age fourteen?
3. What did Monty's father never show him as a child?
4. Who directed the film "East of Eden"?
5. Where was the house in the middle of Salinas that Monty and his family moved to in Chapter 2, Growing Up with Horses?
This section contains 439 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)