|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who directed the film "East of Eden"?
(a) Elia Kazan.
(b) Alfred Hitchcock.
(c) John Huston.
(d) Ingmar Bergman.
2. Hastings Harcourt was the son of what publishing giant?
(a) Harcourt Brace and World.
(b) Tate Publishing.
(c) Whitmore Publishing.
(d) Johnson, Stevens, and Smith.
3. What did Monty feel once in Nevada in Chapter 1, The Call of the Wild Horses?
(a) He wished his father were with him.
(b) He wished he weren't in Nevada.
(c) He needed more time with the horses.
(d) He wanted to go home.
4. What did Monty decide to secretly do with Hastings Harcourt's horses in Chapter 4, The Sand-Castle Syndrome?
(a) Humiliate them.
(b) Sell them.
(c) Eat them.
(d) Breed them.
5. Who informed Monty of Hasting Harcourt's "sand-castle syndrome"?
(a) Harcourt's psychiatrist.
(b) Harcourt's friend.
(c) Harcourt's boss.
(d) Harcourt's wife.
6. What did Hastings Harcourt do once he discovered Monty had not destroyed his horses in Chapter 4, The Sand-Castle Syndrome?
(a) Had him arrested.
(b) Drove off.
(c) Got his rifle.
(d) Hired an assassin.
7. What did Monty watch the mustangs do when entering the race in Chapter 1, The Call of the Wild Horses?
(a) Buck wildly.
(b) Stop to graze.
(c) Lie down.
(d) Run backwards.
8. In what year was Monty Roberts born?
9. Where was most of the wild horse population during Monty's childhood?
(b) New Mexico.
10. What does Monty refer to as "the most wonderful and the most predictable creatures on earth"?
11. What star of "East of Eden" did Monty befriend and show around the horses?
(a) James Dean.
(b) Jo Van Fleet.
(c) Richard Davalos.
(d) Raymond Massey.
12. What had actually injured Monty to the point of being hospitalized when he was a child in Chapter 2, Growing Up with Horses?
(a) A train.
(b) His father.
(d) A car.
13. One day when Monty's father hit him in Chapter 3, East of Eden, Monty did what?
(a) Grabbed him by the hair.
(b) Punched him in the face.
(c) Backed him against a wall.
(d) Choked him.
14. When observing the horses in the wild at age fourteen, Monty saw how a colt who was behaving badly was isolated by what?
(a) A mare.
(b) A horse trainer.
(c) A sire.
(d) Another colt.
15. In what year did Monty get married?
Short Answer Questions
1. Monty Roberts began riding horses professionally from what age?
2. Who died in Chapter 3, East of Eden?
3. How old was Monty when his father brutally beat a black man to death in Chapter 2, Growing Up with Horses?
4. "Sand-castle syndrome" indicates that someone gets joy in creating something then what?
5. What job did Monty's father take to bring in extra money in Chapter 2, Growing Up with Horses?
This section contains 440 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)