|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Monty watch the mustangs do when entering the race in Chapter 1, The Call of the Wild Horses?
(a) Run backwards.
(b) Lie down.
(c) Buck wildly.
(d) Stop to graze.
2. How old was Monty when he met Hastings Harcourt?
3. How old was Hastings Harcourt when he met Monty?
(a) His fifties.
(b) His eighties.
(c) His sixties.
(d) His seventies.
4. What did Monty never see any of from his film work?
(a) The directors.
(b) His co-stars.
(c) The movies.
(d) His earnings.
5. In what year was "East of Eden" shot in Salinas?
6. Once Monty was free to some extent from his father's rule, he decided that instead of doing rodeos, he would join the wrestling and what team?
7. What were the horse competition areas of Salinas used for, causing Monty's family to have to move in Chapter 2, Growing Up with Horses?
(a) Japanese-American internment camps.
(c) Nuclear test site.
(d) Army barracks.
8. What is the name of Monty's wife?
(a) Patty Willis.
(b) Patricia Burden.
(c) Patricia Elder.
(d) Pat Smith.
9. What budget did Hastings Harcourt give Monty for buying him horses in Chapter 4, The Sand-Castle Syndrome?
10. Where was the house in the middle of Salinas that Monty and his family moved to in Chapter 2, Growing Up with Horses?
(a) 4202 Moral Way.
(b) 664 Moses Boulevard.
(c) 1984 Mission Lane.
(d) 347 Church Street.
11. Monty's father beat him with what when he was a child?
(a) A closed fist.
(b) A switch.
(c) A chain.
(d) An extension cord.
12. Hastings Harcourt was the son of what publishing giant?
(a) Tate Publishing.
(b) Whitmore Publishing.
(c) Johnson, Stevens, and Smith.
(d) Harcourt Brace and World.
13. Monty's father beat him on a weekly basis until he was how old?
14. When a horse was injured in the race, people wanted it to be shipped off for what purpose in Chapter 1, The Call of the Wild Horses?
(d) Medical attention.
15. What did the audience yell when one of the horses was injured in Chapter 1, The Call of the Wild Horses?
(a) Crow's bait.
(b) Hog Jowels.
(c) Holy makerel.
(d) Jumpin' catfish.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Monty's father rent to help dig a grave in Chapter 3, East of Eden?
2. When horses have their head high and forward ears, it shows they are interested in something where?
3. What job did Monty's father take to bring in extra money in Chapter 2, Growing Up with Horses?
4. What was one use for horses during World War II?
5. In what year did Monty turn fourteen?
This section contains 429 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)