|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What cultural practice did Ramanujan insist on, in Kanigel's account?
2. What is the state of Ramanujan's work now?
3. What was Ramanujan interested in in this value?
4. Who was absent from the dock when Ramanujan's ship came in?
5. With whom did Ramanujan eventually begin to develop a real relationship, according to Kanigel?
Short Essay Questions
1. What accolades did Ramanujan receive for his work?
2. What problem kept Ramanujan from coming to England, as Hardy hoped he would?
3. What did Ramanujan discover when P. C. Mahalanobis read him a puzzle one evening?
4. What was Ramanujan's decline like, and death?
5. What has been the impact of Ramanujan's work?
6. What is a formalist in mathematical thinking?
7. What was Ramanujan's relationship with Cambridge after he left for India?
8. What was Ramanujan's condition when he returned to India?
9. Describe Ramanujan's trip to England.
10. What was Ramanujan's interest in pi?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the role of Ramanujan's wife in his life and career. How important was it for him to be married? Was he married to someone or something else besides his wife?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the importance of money and class status in Ramanujan's life. Was it important, or incidental? Where did he run into difficulties, or challenges, because of money? How did he solve them?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the importance of illness and bad health on Ramanujan's life. How did it shape his personality and his intellect? How did it weaken him? How did it strengthen him?
This section contains 598 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)