|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Ramanujan write to Hardy?
2. What was the doctor's prescription for Ramanujan's condition?
3. What other Indian thinker does Kanigel compare Ramanujan's experience with?
4. What was Ramanujan interested in in this value?
5. In his letter to Hardy, what was the importance of the thing Ramanujan claimed to have discovered?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the conflict between Ramanujan's family and his wife?
2. What was Ramanujan's response when Hardy asked him for proofs?
3. What was Ramanujan's relationship with Cambridge after he left for India?
4. What did Ramanujan discover when P. C. Mahalanobis read him a puzzle one evening?
5. What was Ramanujan's decline like, and death?
6. What is a formalist in mathematical thinking?
7. What did Hardy do with Ramanujan's letter?
8. What was Ramanujan's Master Theorem intended to do?
9. What problem kept Ramanujan from coming to England, as Hardy hoped he would?
10. What cultural practices did Ramanujan hold on to from India?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a character sketch of the author based on his handling of the material in Ramanujan's life. What are the author's values like? What evidence do you have for them?
Essay Topic 2
Ramanujan once ran away from home. Describe his relationship with his family, and the running-away temperament: what was he running to? Cite another time when he 'ran away' from things? Did he ever have a feeling of arrival in a place that redeemed the problems with his family or immediate environment?
Essay Topic 3
How English did Ramanujan become after he went to England? How Indian was he when he returned to India?
This section contains 626 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)