|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Ramanujan spend all his time on returning to India?
2. How does Kanigel describe the trip to England?
3. When did Ramanujan write to Hardy?
4. What obstacle stood in the way of Hardy's plan?
5. What does Kanigel say prevented Ramanujan from getting the care he needed?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the decline of Ramanujan's health.
2. What was Ramanujan's response when Hardy asked him for proofs?
3. What was Ramanujan's relationship with Cambridge after he left for India?
4. How much did Ramanujan's bride share in his mathematical life?
5. How was Ramanujan treated on his return to India?
6. What was Ramanujan's decline like, and death?
7. What was the conflict between Ramanujan's family and his wife?
8. Describe Ramanujan's trip to England.
9. What was Ramanujan's Master Theorem intended to do?
10. In what way was Ramanujan's experience of England similar to Ghandi's?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What do you think is missing from this book? What should have been covered or presented that was not? What is the effect of this absence?
Essay Topic 2
Ramanujan was never a teacher, just a theoretical mathematician. Describe the role of researcher and evaluate its benefit to Ramanujan: was it good for him? Would he have been happy or miserable as a teacher?
Essay Topic 3
What did Ramanujan use math for? What problems did he solve with it? Were they abstract mathematical problems, or life problems? How did math solve Ramanujan's life problems? Where did it fail to?
This section contains 632 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)