|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What value did Ramanujan work with at Cambridge?
2. Who did Ramanujan stay with in England?
3. How does Kanigel describe Ramanujan's dress?
4. What are partitions in math?
5. Who met Ramanujan in England?
Short Essay Questions
1. How much did Ramanujan's bride share in his mathematical life?
2. Describe Ramanujan's trip to England.
3. What was Ramanujan's relationship with Cambridge after he left for India?
4. What has been the impact of Ramanujan's work?
5. What cultural practices did Ramanujan hold on to from India?
6. What did Hardy do with Ramanujan's letter?
7. What was Ramanujan's response when Hardy asked him for proofs?
8. Where did Ramanujan go when he reached England?
9. What was Ramanujan's Master Theorem intended to do?
10. Ramanujan kept extensive notes of his thinking. What was in Ramanujan's notebooks, and how much of his work was valuable, according to Kanigel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the importance of money and class status in Ramanujan's life. Was it important, or incidental? Where did he run into difficulties, or challenges, because of money? How did he solve them?
Essay Topic 2
What kind of mathematical thinker was Ramanujan? What kinds of problems was he attracted to, and how did he deploy his intelligence to solve them? What kinds of problems did he avoid?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the role of Ramanujan's wife in his life and career. How important was it for him to be married? Was he married to someone or something else besides his wife?
This section contains 660 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)