|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Kanigel characterize Ramanujan's theorems and formulas?
2. Who was Leonard Euler?
3. What does Kanigel say Ramanujan distrusted in English society?
4. What was Ramanujan interested in in this value?
5. How does Kanigel say Ramanujan passed his time on the ship?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is a formalist in mathematical thinking?
2. Describe Ramanujan's trip to England.
3. Where did Ramanujan go when he reached England?
4. What accolades did Ramanujan receive for his work?
5. What was Ramanujan's Master Theorem intended to do?
6. What was Ramanujan's decline like, and death?
7. What problem kept Ramanujan from coming to England, as Hardy hoped he would?
8. What cultural practices did Ramanujan hold on to from India?
9. What was Ramanujan's relationship with Cambridge after he left for India?
10. How was Ramanujan treated on his return to India?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the influence of education systems on Ramanujan's life. How much is he defined by the systems from which he came? How is he defined by other influences?
Essay Topic 2
How English did Ramanujan become after he went to England? How Indian was he when he returned to India?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Ramanujan's life and Hardy's. How are they similar? How are they different? What did they offer each other? Was Ramanujan truly Hardy's greatest accomplishment? Does that make Ramanujan's depression, suicide attempt and death Hardy's greatest failure?
This section contains 562 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)