|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. With whom did Ramanujan eventually begin to develop a real relationship, according to Kanigel?
2. How does Kanigel describe Ramanujan as a mathematical thinker?
3. When did Ramanujan die?
4. When do mathematicians believe Ramanujan did his best work?
5. What does Kanigel say prevented Ramanujan from getting the care he needed?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the decline of Ramanujan's health.
2. What was Ramanujan's decline like, and death?
3. What problem kept Ramanujan from coming to England, as Hardy hoped he would?
4. What was Ramanujan's condition when he returned to India?
5. How was Ramanujan treated on his return to India?
6. What did Ramanujan write to Hardy?
7. What problems did Ramanujan have on account of his Indian cultural practices?
8. In what way was Ramanujan's experience of England similar to Ghandi's?
9. Ramanujan kept extensive notes of his thinking. What was in Ramanujan's notebooks, and how much of his work was valuable, according to Kanigel?
10. What was the conflict between Ramanujan's family and his wife?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
To what extent is Ramanujan's (or Hardy's) life an example to be followed? What lessons do these two lives teach? What lessons did they fail to learn themselves that they teach as negative examples?
Essay Topic 2
What problems did Ramanujan have because of his schooling, and how did he overcome them? (i.e. what techniques did he use, and how successful was he?)
Essay Topic 3
Describe the influence of education systems on Ramanujan's life. How much is he defined by the systems from which he came? How is he defined by other influences?
This section contains 717 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)