|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What value did Ramanujan work with at Cambridge?
2. How does Kanigel describe Ramanujan's relationship with his wife?
3. How do people account for Ramanujan's self-assessment?
4. What did Hardy decide after conferring with John Littlewood?
5. How long did the trip from India to England take?
Short Essay Questions
1. How much did Ramanujan's bride share in his mathematical life?
2. Where did Ramanujan go when he reached England?
3. Describe Ramanujan and Hardy's work on partitions.
4. What was the conflict between Ramanujan's family and his wife?
5. What was Ramanujan's relationship with Cambridge after he left for India?
6. How was Ramanujan treated on his return to India?
7. In what way was Ramanujan's experience of England similar to Ghandi's?
8. What did Ramanujan write to Hardy?
9. What has been the impact of Ramanujan's work?
10. What was Ramanujan's condition when he returned to India?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In what ways is Ramanujan a product of India? What is it about India that is evident in Ramanujan's character? In what ways is Ramanujan British? In what ways is he not? Is he an international citizen in the universe of math?
Essay Topic 2
To what extent was math a social enterprise for Ramanujan? How much did his career depend on other people? What made other people believe in him? What values did those people have that made it important to help Ramanujan?
Essay Topic 3
To what extent is Ramanujan's (or Hardy's) life an example to be followed? What lessons do these two lives teach? What lessons did they fail to learn themselves that they teach as negative examples?
This section contains 687 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)