|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is NOT included in the list of people who have benefited from Ramanujan's work, in Kanigel's account?
2. What practice does Kanigel say Ramanujan had difficulty adjusting to in England?
3. What was the doctor's prescription for Ramanujan's condition?
4. What other Indian thinker does Kanigel compare Ramanujan's experience with?
5. What was Ramanujan's intention when he returned home?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Ramanujan's interest in pi?
2. What problem kept Ramanujan from coming to England, as Hardy hoped he would?
3. How much did Ramanujan's bride share in his mathematical life?
4. What accolades did Ramanujan receive for his work?
5. What was Ramanujan's condition when he returned to India?
6. What cultural practices did Ramanujan hold on to from India?
7. What was Ramanujan's relationship with Cambridge after he left for India?
8. What did Ramanujan write to Hardy?
9. What is a formalist in mathematical thinking?
10. What was Ramanujan's Master Theorem intended to do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a character sketch of the author based on his handling of the material in Ramanujan's life. What are the author's values like? What evidence do you have for them?
Essay Topic 2
Was Ramanujan different 'as a person' than he was 'as a mathematician'? Did his work in math redeem the discomforts or failures he suffered elsewhere in his life? How does his life balance out--was he a mathematician, or a fully-developed human being, who could adjust to any number of human experiences?
Essay Topic 3
How English did Ramanujan become after he went to England? How Indian was he when he returned to India?
This section contains 623 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)