|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was proved incorrect in Ramanujan's work from this time?
2. Who was absent from the dock when Ramanujan's ship came in?
3. What other Indian thinker does Kanigel compare Ramanujan's experience with?
4. What did Ramanujan petition Cambridge for?
5. How does Kanigel say Ramanujan passed his time on the ship?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where did Ramanujan go when he reached England?
2. What was the conflict between Ramanujan's family and his wife?
3. What was Ramanujan's interest in pi?
4. In what way was Ramanujan's experience of England similar to Ghandi's?
5. What cultural practices did Ramanujan hold on to from India?
6. How was Ramanujan treated on his return to India?
7. What problem kept Ramanujan from coming to England, as Hardy hoped he would?
8. What has been the impact of Ramanujan's work?
9. Describe the decline of Ramanujan's health.
10. What was Ramanujan's relationship with Cambridge after he left for India?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Was Ramanujan different 'as a person' than he was 'as a mathematician'? Did his work in math redeem the discomforts or failures he suffered elsewhere in his life? How does his life balance out--was he a mathematician, or a fully-developed human being, who could adjust to any number of human experiences?
Essay Topic 2
In what ways is Ramanujan a product of India? What is it about India that is evident in Ramanujan's character? In what ways is Ramanujan British? In what ways is he not? Is he an international citizen in the universe of math?
Essay Topic 3
What were the two or three most influential influences in forming Ramanujan's character. What were the two or three most influential conflicts or absences or desires in shaping Ramanujan's character?
This section contains 655 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)