|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Kanigel describe Ramanujan's relationship with his wife?
2. What was proved incorrect in Ramanujan's work from this time?
3. How does Kanigel describe Ramanujan as a mathematical thinker?
4. How long did the trip from India to England take?
5. What other Indian thinker does Kanigel compare Ramanujan's experience with?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
To what extent is Ramanujan's (or Hardy's) life an example to be followed? What lessons do these two lives teach? What lessons did they fail to learn themselves that they teach as negative examples?
Essay Topic 2
Having reached a degree of fame, Ramanujan attempted suicide because he could not solve all the problems around him. Why was Ramanujan incapable of handling this inevitable limitation? Where else in his life were his needs far beyond the realm of what was possible?
Essay Topic 3
Ramanujan was never a teacher, just a theoretical mathematician. Describe the role of researcher and evaluate its benefit to Ramanujan: was it good for him? Would he have been happy or miserable as a teacher?
This section contains 817 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)