|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Kanigel characterize Ramanujan's theorems and formulas?
2. What value did Ramanujan work with at Cambridge?
3. What does Kanigel say Ramanujan distrusted in English society?
4. What is the state of Ramanujan's work now?
5. How did Ramanujan spend all his time on returning to India?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Ramanujan's decline like, and death?
2. What was Ramanujan's response when Hardy asked him for proofs?
3. What was the conflict between Ramanujan's family and his wife?
4. What was Ramanujan's condition when he returned to India?
5. What did Ramanujan discover when P. C. Mahalanobis read him a puzzle one evening?
6. What did Ramanujan write to Hardy?
7. How much did Ramanujan's bride share in his mathematical life?
8. Ramanujan kept extensive notes of his thinking. What was in Ramanujan's notebooks, and how much of his work was valuable, according to Kanigel?
9. How was Ramanujan treated on his return to India?
10. What was Ramanujan's relationship with Cambridge after he left for India?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the intersection the British culture of secret society and prestige with Ramanujan's culture of Brahmin prestige and privilege. How much did these cultures clash in Ramanujan's experience? How did they work together?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Ramanujan's life and Hardy's. How are they similar? How are they different? What did they offer each other? Was Ramanujan truly Hardy's greatest accomplishment? Does that make Ramanujan's depression, suicide attempt and death Hardy's greatest failure?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the role of Ramanujan's wife in his life and career. How important was it for him to be married? Was he married to someone or something else besides his wife?
This section contains 686 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)