|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Kanigel describe Ramanujan as a mathematical thinker?
2. What does Kanigel say Ramanujan distrusted in English society?
3. How much of Ramanujan's work did Hardy believe was sound and original?
4. How did Ramanujan respond to Hardy's request for proofs?
5. What did Ramanujan and Hardy develop for working with partitions?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where did Ramanujan go when he reached England?
2. What did Ramanujan discover when P. C. Mahalanobis read him a puzzle one evening?
3. What accolades did Ramanujan receive for his work?
4. How much did Ramanujan's bride share in his mathematical life?
5. How was Ramanujan treated on his return to India?
6. What has been the impact of Ramanujan's work?
7. What did Hardy do with Ramanujan's letter?
8. What was Ramanujan's relationship with Cambridge after he left for India?
9. Ramanujan kept extensive notes of his thinking. What was in Ramanujan's notebooks, and how much of his work was valuable, according to Kanigel?
10. Describe Ramanujan and Hardy's work on partitions.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What did Ramanujan use math for? What problems did he solve with it? Were they abstract mathematical problems, or life problems? How did math solve Ramanujan's life problems? Where did it fail to?
Essay Topic 2
Having reached a degree of fame, Ramanujan attempted suicide because he could not solve all the problems around him. Why was Ramanujan incapable of handling this inevitable limitation? Where else in his life were his needs far beyond the realm of what was possible?
Essay Topic 3
What problems did Ramanujan have because of his schooling, and how did he overcome them? (i.e. what techniques did he use, and how successful was he?)
This section contains 697 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)