|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the state of Ramanujan's work now?
2. What was Euler's contribution to understanding partitions?
3. Who met Ramanujan in England?
4. What was proved incorrect in Ramanujan's work from this time?
5. Who was absent from the dock when Ramanujan's ship came in?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Hardy do with Ramanujan's letter?
2. What was Ramanujan's decline like, and death?
3. What did Ramanujan discover when P. C. Mahalanobis read him a puzzle one evening?
4. What cultural practices did Ramanujan hold on to from India?
5. What did Ramanujan write to Hardy?
6. What has been the impact of Ramanujan's work?
7. What is a formalist in mathematical thinking?
8. Describe Ramanujan and Hardy's work on partitions.
9. How much did Ramanujan's bride share in his mathematical life?
10. What problems did Ramanujan have on account of his Indian cultural practices?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What problems did Ramanujan have because of his schooling, and how did he overcome them? (i.e. what techniques did he use, and how successful was he?)
Essay Topic 2
Ramanujan once ran away from home. Describe his relationship with his family, and the running-away temperament: what was he running to? Cite another time when he 'ran away' from things? Did he ever have a feeling of arrival in a place that redeemed the problems with his family or immediate environment?
Essay Topic 3
Ramanujan was never a teacher, just a theoretical mathematician. Describe the role of researcher and evaluate its benefit to Ramanujan: was it good for him? Would he have been happy or miserable as a teacher?
This section contains 658 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)