|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Ramanujan's intention when he returned home?
2. To what extent does Kanigel say Ramanujan blended in with Cambridge society?
3. How does Kanigel describe John Littlewood?
4. What did Ramanujan work out in his research on constants?
5. How do people account for Ramanujan's self-assessment?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where did Ramanujan go when he reached England?
2. How much did Ramanujan's bride share in his mathematical life?
3. What was Ramanujan's response when Hardy asked him for proofs?
4. What was Ramanujan's Master Theorem intended to do?
5. What was Ramanujan's condition when he returned to India?
6. What has been the impact of Ramanujan's work?
7. What did Hardy do with Ramanujan's letter?
8. In what way was Ramanujan's experience of England similar to Ghandi's?
9. What problems did Ramanujan have on account of his Indian cultural practices?
10. What cultural practices did Ramanujan hold on to from India?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
To what extent is Ramanujan's (or Hardy's) life an example to be followed? What lessons do these two lives teach? What lessons did they fail to learn themselves that they teach as negative examples?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the influence of education systems on Ramanujan's life. How much is he defined by the systems from which he came? How is he defined by other influences?
Essay Topic 3
What kind of mathematical thinker was Ramanujan? What kinds of problems was he attracted to, and how did he deploy his intelligence to solve them? What kinds of problems did he avoid?
This section contains 716 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)