Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was it that offended Ramanujan when he invited some friends to dinner?
2. How does Kanigel describe Ramanujan's relationship with his wife?
3. How did Ramanujan see himself socially, according to Kanigel?
4. When do mathematicians believe Ramanujan did his best work?
5. How does Kanigel say Ramanujan saw himself when he was returning to India?
Essay Topic 1
What were the two or three most influential influences in forming Ramanujan's character. What were the two or three most influential conflicts or absences or desires in shaping Ramanujan's character?
Essay Topic 2
In what ways is Ramanujan a product of India? What is it about India that is evident in Ramanujan's character? In what ways is Ramanujan British? In what ways is he not? Is he an international citizen in the universe of math?
Essay Topic 3
Was Ramanujan different 'as a person' than he was 'as a mathematician'? Did his work in math redeem the discomforts or failures he suffered elsewhere in his life? How does his life balance out--was he a mathematician, or a fully-developed human being, who could adjust to any number of human experiences?
This section contains 247 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)