|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Euler's contribution to understanding partitions?
2. How does Kanigel describe John Littlewood?
3. What other Indian thinker does Kanigel compare Ramanujan's experience with?
4. What did NOT contribute to Ramanujan's discomfort during the sea voyage to England?
5. Based on his letter, what was Hardy trying to determine about Ramanujan?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Ramanujan's condition when he returned to India?
2. What did Ramanujan discover when P. C. Mahalanobis read him a puzzle one evening?
3. What accolades did Ramanujan receive for his work?
4. How was Ramanujan treated on his return to India?
5. Ramanujan kept extensive notes of his thinking. What was in Ramanujan's notebooks, and how much of his work was valuable, according to Kanigel?
6. What was Ramanujan's relationship with Cambridge after he left for India?
7. Where did Ramanujan go when he reached England?
8. Describe Ramanujan's trip to England.
9. In what way was Ramanujan's experience of England similar to Ghandi's?
10. What was Ramanujan's decline like, and death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What kind of mathematical thinker was Ramanujan? What kinds of problems was he attracted to, and how did he deploy his intelligence to solve them? What kinds of problems did he avoid?
Essay Topic 2
Was Ramanujan different 'as a person' than he was 'as a mathematician'? Did his work in math redeem the discomforts or failures he suffered elsewhere in his life? How does his life balance out--was he a mathematician, or a fully-developed human being, who could adjust to any number of human experiences?
Essay Topic 3
To what extent was math a social enterprise for Ramanujan? How much did his career depend on other people? What made other people believe in him? What values did those people have that made it important to help Ramanujan?
This section contains 704 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)