|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Ramanujan's intention when he returned home?
2. How long did the trip from India to England take?
3. What was the doctor's diagnosis of Ramanujan's illness?
4. What does Kanigel say Ramanujan distrusted in English society?
5. What were Ramanujan and Hardy looking for in their work on partitions?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Ramanujan write to Hardy?
2. What was Ramanujan's interest in pi?
3. In what way was Ramanujan's experience of England similar to Ghandi's?
4. How was Ramanujan treated on his return to India?
5. What was Ramanujan's condition when he returned to India?
6. How much did Ramanujan's bride share in his mathematical life?
7. What cultural practices did Ramanujan hold on to from India?
8. What has been the impact of Ramanujan's work?
9. What accolades did Ramanujan receive for his work?
10. What did Hardy do with Ramanujan's letter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a character sketch of the author based on his handling of the material in Ramanujan's life. What are the author's values like? What evidence do you have for them?
Essay Topic 2
Was Ramanujan different 'as a person' than he was 'as a mathematician'? Did his work in math redeem the discomforts or failures he suffered elsewhere in his life? How does his life balance out--was he a mathematician, or a fully-developed human being, who could adjust to any number of human experiences?
Essay Topic 3
Ramanujan was never a teacher, just a theoretical mathematician. Describe the role of researcher and evaluate its benefit to Ramanujan: was it good for him? Would he have been happy or miserable as a teacher?
This section contains 690 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)