|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who met Ramanujan in England?
2. What obstacle stood in the way of Hardy's plan?
3. Who was absent from the dock when Ramanujan's ship came in?
4. How does Kanigel say Ramanujan passed his time on the ship?
5. How was Ramanujan treated on his return?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Ramanujan's interest in pi?
2. What was Ramanujan's decline like, and death?
3. What is a formalist in mathematical thinking?
4. What was Ramanujan's condition when he returned to India?
5. How was Ramanujan treated on his return to India?
6. In what way was Ramanujan's experience of England similar to Ghandi's?
7. What did Ramanujan write to Hardy?
8. How much did Ramanujan's bride share in his mathematical life?
9. Describe the decline of Ramanujan's health.
10. Describe Ramanujan and Hardy's work on partitions.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Having reached a degree of fame, Ramanujan attempted suicide because he could not solve all the problems around him. Why was Ramanujan incapable of handling this inevitable limitation? Where else in his life were his needs far beyond the realm of what was possible?
Essay Topic 2
To what extent is Ramanujan's (or Hardy's) life an example to be followed? What lessons do these two lives teach? What lessons did they fail to learn themselves that they teach as negative examples?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Ramanujan's life and Hardy's. How are they similar? How are they different? What did they offer each other? Was Ramanujan truly Hardy's greatest accomplishment? Does that make Ramanujan's depression, suicide attempt and death Hardy's greatest failure?
This section contains 668 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)