|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Euler's contribution to understanding partitions?
2. How does Kanigel say Ramanujan saw himself when he was returning to India?
3. What does Kanigel say characterized Indian intellectuals' experience at Cambridge?
4. How does Kanigel say Ramanujan passed his time on the ship?
5. What cultural practice did Ramanujan insist on, in Kanigel's account?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Ramanujan's response when Hardy asked him for proofs?
2. What did Ramanujan write to Hardy?
3. What accolades did Ramanujan receive for his work?
4. What was the conflict between Ramanujan's family and his wife?
5. Describe Ramanujan's trip to England.
6. What was Ramanujan's condition when he returned to India?
7. What has been the impact of Ramanujan's work?
8. What cultural practices did Ramanujan hold on to from India?
9. What did Ramanujan discover when P. C. Mahalanobis read him a puzzle one evening?
10. How much did Ramanujan's bride share in his mathematical life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What problems did Ramanujan have because of his schooling, and how did he overcome them? (i.e. what techniques did he use, and how successful was he?)
Essay Topic 2
How English did Ramanujan become after he went to England? How Indian was he when he returned to India?
Essay Topic 3
To what extent is Ramanujan's (or Hardy's) life an example to be followed? What lessons do these two lives teach? What lessons did they fail to learn themselves that they teach as negative examples?
This section contains 620 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)