|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What society was Ramanujan elected to?
2. What did Ramanujan discover when his friend Mahalanobis read a puzzle from the paper?
3. How does Kanigel describe Ramanujan's dress?
4. What was it that offended Ramanujan when he invited some friends to dinner?
5. Who learned of Ramanujan's arrival by the newspapers?
Short Essay Questions
1. How much did Ramanujan's bride share in his mathematical life?
2. Describe Ramanujan's trip to England.
3. What did Ramanujan discover when P. C. Mahalanobis read him a puzzle one evening?
4. Ramanujan kept extensive notes of his thinking. What was in Ramanujan's notebooks, and how much of his work was valuable, according to Kanigel?
5. What problems did Ramanujan have on account of his Indian cultural practices?
6. What is a formalist in mathematical thinking?
7. What accolades did Ramanujan receive for his work?
8. What was Ramanujan's interest in pi?
9. What problem kept Ramanujan from coming to England, as Hardy hoped he would?
10. What was Ramanujan's condition when he returned to India?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Was Ramanujan different 'as a person' than he was 'as a mathematician'? Did his work in math redeem the discomforts or failures he suffered elsewhere in his life? How does his life balance out--was he a mathematician, or a fully-developed human being, who could adjust to any number of human experiences?
Essay Topic 2
What did Ramanujan use math for? What problems did he solve with it? Were they abstract mathematical problems, or life problems? How did math solve Ramanujan's life problems? Where did it fail to?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the role of Ramanujan's wife in his life and career. How important was it for him to be married? Was he married to someone or something else besides his wife?
This section contains 729 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)