Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was it that offended Ramanujan when he invited some friends to dinner?
2. How does Kanigel describe Ramanujan's relationship with his wife?
3. How did Ramanujan see himself socially, according to Kanigel?
4. When do mathematicians believe Ramanujan did his best work?
5. How does Kanigel say Ramanujan saw himself when he was returning to India?
Essay Topic 1
Ramanujan was never a teacher, just a theoretical mathematician. Describe the role of researcher and evaluate its benefit to Ramanujan: was it good for him? Would he have been happy or miserable as a teacher?
Essay Topic 2
What kind of mathematical thinker was Ramanujan? What kinds of problems was he attracted to, and how did he deploy his intelligence to solve them? What kinds of problems did he avoid?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Ramanujan's life and Hardy's. How are they similar? How are they different? What did they offer each other? Was Ramanujan truly Hardy's greatest accomplishment? Does that make Ramanujan's depression, suicide attempt and death Hardy's greatest failure?
This section contains 852 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)