|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What obstacle stood in the way of Hardy's plan?
2. What did Hardy try to arrange after receiving Ramanujan's letter?
3. How do people account for Ramanujan's self-assessment?
4. What did Hardy and his friends arrange for Ramanujan?
5. How does Kanigel describe the value of Ramanujan's discovery?
Essay Topic 1
What kind of mathematical thinker was Ramanujan? What kinds of problems was he attracted to, and how did he deploy his intelligence to solve them? What kinds of problems did he avoid?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the intersection the British culture of secret society and prestige with Ramanujan's culture of Brahmin prestige and privilege. How much did these cultures clash in Ramanujan's experience? How did they work together?
Essay Topic 3
Write a character sketch of the author based on his handling of the material in Ramanujan's life. What are the author's values like? What evidence do you have for them?
This section contains 858 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)