|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is NOT included in the list of people who have benefited from Ramanujan's work, in Kanigel's account?
2. What did Ramanujan discover when his friend Mahalanobis read a puzzle from the paper?
3. How does Kanigel describe the trip to England?
4. What is the state of Ramanujan's work now?
5. Who met Ramanujan in England?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the conflict between Ramanujan's family and his wife?
2. Where did Ramanujan go when he reached England?
3. What was Ramanujan's Master Theorem intended to do?
4. Describe Ramanujan's trip to England.
5. What accolades did Ramanujan receive for his work?
6. What was Ramanujan's interest in pi?
7. What was Ramanujan's response when Hardy asked him for proofs?
8. How much did Ramanujan's bride share in his mathematical life?
9. What was Ramanujan's decline like, and death?
10. Ramanujan kept extensive notes of his thinking. What was in Ramanujan's notebooks, and how much of his work was valuable, according to Kanigel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What did Ramanujan use math for? What problems did he solve with it? Were they abstract mathematical problems, or life problems? How did math solve Ramanujan's life problems? Where did it fail to?
Essay Topic 2
Write a character sketch of the author based on his handling of the material in Ramanujan's life. What are the author's values like? What evidence do you have for them?
Essay Topic 3
Ramanujan was never a teacher, just a theoretical mathematician. Describe the role of researcher and evaluate its benefit to Ramanujan: was it good for him? Would he have been happy or miserable as a teacher?
This section contains 683 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)