|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Ramanujan spend all his time on returning to India?
2. How much of Ramanujan's work did Hardy believe was sound and original?
3. What was Euler's contribution to understanding partitions?
4. When do mathematicians believe Ramanujan did his best work?
5. What does Kanigel say characterized Indian intellectuals' experience at Cambridge?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Ramanujan's relationship with Cambridge after he left for India?
2. What did Ramanujan discover when P. C. Mahalanobis read him a puzzle one evening?
3. What was Ramanujan's Master Theorem intended to do?
4. What is a formalist in mathematical thinking?
5. In what way was Ramanujan's experience of England similar to Ghandi's?
6. Where did Ramanujan go when he reached England?
7. What did Hardy do with Ramanujan's letter?
8. What problem kept Ramanujan from coming to England, as Hardy hoped he would?
9. What was Ramanujan's condition when he returned to India?
10. What accolades did Ramanujan receive for his work?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ramanujan once ran away from home. Describe his relationship with his family, and the running-away temperament: what was he running to? Cite another time when he 'ran away' from things? Did he ever have a feeling of arrival in a place that redeemed the problems with his family or immediate environment?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the importance of illness and bad health on Ramanujan's life. How did it shape his personality and his intellect? How did it weaken him? How did it strengthen him?
Essay Topic 3
How English did Ramanujan become after he went to England? How Indian was he when he returned to India?
This section contains 657 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)