|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was proved incorrect in Ramanujan's work from this time?
2. Based on his letter, what was Hardy trying to determine about Ramanujan?
3. Who was absent from the dock when Ramanujan's ship came in?
4. How does Kanigel describe Ramanujan's relationship with his wife?
5. How long did the trip from India to England take?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the conflict between Ramanujan's family and his wife?
2. What problem kept Ramanujan from coming to England, as Hardy hoped he would?
3. How much did Ramanujan's bride share in his mathematical life?
4. What is a formalist in mathematical thinking?
5. What was Ramanujan's Master Theorem intended to do?
6. What cultural practices did Ramanujan hold on to from India?
7. What did Ramanujan discover when P. C. Mahalanobis read him a puzzle one evening?
8. Describe the decline of Ramanujan's health.
9. What was Ramanujan's relationship with Cambridge after he left for India?
10. What was Ramanujan's interest in pi?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What problems did Ramanujan have because of his schooling, and how did he overcome them? (i.e. what techniques did he use, and how successful was he?)
Essay Topic 2
Ramanujan was never a teacher, just a theoretical mathematician. Describe the role of researcher and evaluate its benefit to Ramanujan: was it good for him? Would he have been happy or miserable as a teacher?
Essay Topic 3
To what extent was math a social enterprise for Ramanujan? How much did his career depend on other people? What made other people believe in him? What values did those people have that made it important to help Ramanujan?
This section contains 613 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)