|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the doctor's diagnosis of Ramanujan's illness?
2. What did Ramanujan and Hardy develop for working with partitions?
3. Who did Ramanujan stay with in England?
4. What did NOT contribute to Ramanujan's discomfort during the sea voyage to England?
5. What was proved correct in Ramanujan's work from this time?
Short Essay Questions
1. What has been the impact of Ramanujan's work?
2. What is a formalist in mathematical thinking?
3. What problems did Ramanujan have on account of his Indian cultural practices?
4. Describe Ramanujan and Hardy's work on partitions.
5. In what way was Ramanujan's experience of England similar to Ghandi's?
6. What cultural practices did Ramanujan hold on to from India?
7. What accolades did Ramanujan receive for his work?
8. Describe Ramanujan's trip to England.
9. What was Ramanujan's interest in pi?
10. What did Ramanujan write to Hardy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ramanujan was never a teacher, just a theoretical mathematician. Describe the role of researcher and evaluate its benefit to Ramanujan: was it good for him? Would he have been happy or miserable as a teacher?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the importance of illness and bad health on Ramanujan's life. How did it shape his personality and his intellect? How did it weaken him? How did it strengthen him?
Essay Topic 3
What did Ramanujan use math for? What problems did he solve with it? Were they abstract mathematical problems, or life problems? How did math solve Ramanujan's life problems? Where did it fail to?
This section contains 659 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)