|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When would Ramanujan and his wife consummate their marriage?
2. What class was Ramanujan raised in?
3. What did Ramanujan's parents do in response to their impatience?
4. How does Kanigel describe education at Hardy's college?
5. Where did Ramanujan eventually find work?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Hardy's experience at Winchester?
2. What gods did Ramanujan's family worship?
3. What was Ramanujan's Master Theorem intended to do?
4. What does 'A Synopsis of Elementary Results in Pure and Applied Mathematics' consist of?
5. What was the subject of the challenge Ramanujan set and then resolved in his first paper?
6. What accolades did Ramanujan receive for his work?
7. Describe Ramanujan's experience at Pachaiyappas College in Madras.
8. What led to Ramanujan getting married?
9. Where did Hardy go from Oxford?
10. How much did Ramanujan's bride share in his mathematical life?
Essay Topic 1
What problems did Ramanujan have because of his schooling, and how did he overcome them? (i.e. what techniques did he use, and how successful was he?)
Essay Topic 2
Write a character sketch of the author based on his handling of the material in Ramanujan's life. What are the author's values like? What evidence do you have for them?
Essay Topic 3
In what ways is Ramanujan a product of India? What is it about India that is evident in Ramanujan's character? In what ways is Ramanujan British? In what ways is he not? Is he an international citizen in the universe of math?
This section contains 1,262 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)