|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Ramanujan publish his first journal article?
2. What interrupted Ramanujan's wedding?
3. For how long would Ramanujan's condition persist?
4. What were the Tripos?
5. Who were the Senior Wranglers?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Ramanujan go about looking for work?
2. What work did Ramanujan eventually find?
3. What happened after Ramanujan left Kumbakonam's Government College?
4. What was the Bloomsbury Group?
5. How did Ramanujan's interest change as he grew up?
6. What practices did Ramanujan follow as a result of his religion?
7. How was Ramanujan's first paper received?
8. Why did Ramanujan's parents have a hard time finding a wife for him?
9. What was Hardy's experience at Trinity College, Cambridge?
10. What problems in Ramanujan's thinking came from his use of 'A Synopsis of Elementary Results in Pure and Applied Mathematics'?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
To what extent was math a social enterprise for Ramanujan? How much did his career depend on other people? What made other people believe in him? What values did those people have that made it important to help Ramanujan?
Essay Topic 2
What problems did Ramanujan have because of his schooling, and how did he overcome them? (i.e. what techniques did he use, and how successful was he?)
Essay Topic 3
Describe the role of Ramanujan's wife in his life and career. How important was it for him to be married? Was he married to someone or something else besides his wife?
This section contains 649 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)