|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was Ramanujan's scholarship changed?
2. How does Kanigel describe education at Hardy's college?
3. What did Ramanujan attend at Pachaiyappas College?
4. How does Kanigel characterize Ramanujan's solutions to the math problems in 'A Synopsis of Elementary Results in Pure and Applied Mathematics'?
5. What does Kanigel say people appreciated about Hardy?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Ramanujan's place of birth.
2. How was Ramanujan's health as a child?
3. Describe the difference between English mathematics and Continental mathematics.
4. How was Ramanujan's first paper received?
5. How did Ramanujan go about looking for work?
6. What was Hardy's experience at Winchester?
7. How did marriage change Ramanujan's life?
8. What was Hardy's experience at Trinity College, Cambridge?
9. What was the subject of the challenge Ramanujan set and then resolved in his first paper?
10. What practices did Ramanujan follow as a result of his religion?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What were the two or three most influential influences in forming Ramanujan's character. What were the two or three most influential conflicts or absences or desires in shaping Ramanujan's character?
Essay Topic 2
In what ways is Ramanujan a product of India? What is it about India that is evident in Ramanujan's character? In what ways is Ramanujan British? In what ways is he not? Is he an international citizen in the universe of math?
Essay Topic 3
Ramanujan was never a teacher, just a theoretical mathematician. Describe the role of researcher and evaluate its benefit to Ramanujan: was it good for him? Would he have been happy or miserable as a teacher?
This section contains 696 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)