|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What were the Tripos?
2. What language did Ramanujan speak?
3. What does Kanigel say people appreciated about Hardy?
4. What interrupted Ramanujan's wedding?
5. What does Kanigel say Ramanujan disliked as a child?
Short Essay Questions
1. What work did Ramanujan eventually find?
2. How much did Ramanujan's bride share in his mathematical life?
3. What led to Ramanujan getting married?
4. What was Ramanujan's relationship with Cambridge after he left for India?
5. Ramanujan kept extensive notes of his thinking. What was in Ramanujan's notebooks, and how much of his work was valuable, according to Kanigel?
6. How did Ramanujan's interest change as he grew up?
7. What was the subject of the challenge Ramanujan set and then resolved in his first paper?
8. What was Ramanujan's condition when he returned to India?
9. Describe the decline of Ramanujan's health.
10. In what way was Ramanujan's experience of England similar to Ghandi's?
Essay Topic 1
Describe the importance of money and class status in Ramanujan's life. Was it important, or incidental? Where did he run into difficulties, or challenges, because of money? How did he solve them?
Essay Topic 2
In what ways is Ramanujan a product of India? What is it about India that is evident in Ramanujan's character? In what ways is Ramanujan British? In what ways is he not? Is he an international citizen in the universe of math?
Essay Topic 3
What did Ramanujan use math for? What problems did he solve with it? Were they abstract mathematical problems, or life problems? How did math solve Ramanujan's life problems? Where did it fail to?
This section contains 1,265 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)