|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a nested square root?
2. What was the significance of Erode in Ramanujan's family?
3. How does Kanigel describe the seriousness of Ramanujan's condition?
4. Where did Ramanujan eventually find work?
5. When did Ramanujan publish his first journal article?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the Bloomsbury Group?
2. How did Ramanujan distinguish himself as a math student?
3. What happened after Ramanujan left Pachaiyappas College?
4. What happened after Ramanujan left Kumbakonam's Government College?
5. How did Ramanujan's interest change as he grew up?
6. How did Hardy explain the value of math to his family?
7. Describe Ramanujan's experience at Pachaiyappas College in Madras.
8. Describe Ramanujan's place of birth.
9. How was it that Ramanujan would solve math problems without seeing the logic that dictated the development and solutions to problems?
10. What work did Ramanujan eventually find?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What kind of mathematical thinker was Ramanujan? What kinds of problems was he attracted to, and how did he deploy his intelligence to solve them? What kinds of problems did he avoid?
Essay Topic 2
What did Ramanujan use math for? What problems did he solve with it? Were they abstract mathematical problems, or life problems? How did math solve Ramanujan's life problems? Where did it fail to?
Essay Topic 3
Ramanujan was never a teacher, just a theoretical mathematician. Describe the role of researcher and evaluate its benefit to Ramanujan: was it good for him? Would he have been happy or miserable as a teacher?
This section contains 640 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)