|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Kanigel describe the seriousness of Ramanujan's condition?
2. Who is Namagiri?
3. What did Hardy dislike about his secondary education?
4. Who was G. H. Hardy?
5. How old was the wife Ramanujan's parents found?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Ramanujan's parents have a hard time finding a wife for him?
2. What was Hardy's experience at Winchester?
3. What does 'A Synopsis of Elementary Results in Pure and Applied Mathematics' consist of?
4. How did Hardy explain the value of math to his family?
5. What happened after Ramanujan left Pachaiyappas College?
6. What practices did Ramanujan follow as a result of his religion?
7. Describe Ramanujan's experience at Kumbakonam's Government College.
8. What is Shiva the god of?
9. How was Ramanujan's first paper received?
10. Describe the importance of 'A Synopsis of Elementary Results in Pure and Applied Mathematics' in Ramanujan's life.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How English did Ramanujan become after he went to England? How Indian was he when he returned to India?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the importance of illness and bad health on Ramanujan's life. How did it shape his personality and his intellect? How did it weaken him? How did it strengthen him?
Essay Topic 3
In what ways is Ramanujan a product of India? What is it about India that is evident in Ramanujan's character? In what ways is Ramanujan British? In what ways is he not? Is he an international citizen in the universe of math?
This section contains 589 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)