|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What contributed to Ramanujan's status as a potential husband?
2. Why was Ramanujan late for his wedding?
3. Where was Ramanujan's college located?
4. Who is Namagiri?
5. What is 'A Synopsis of Elementary Results in Pure and Applied Mathematics' composed of?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does 'A Synopsis of Elementary Results in Pure and Applied Mathematics' consist of?
2. Describe the importance of 'A Synopsis of Elementary Results in Pure and Applied Mathematics' in Ramanujan's life.
3. Describe Ramanujan's place of birth.
4. What work did Ramanujan eventually find?
5. Who were the Apostles?
6. How did Ramanujan distinguish himself as a math student?
7. What gods did Ramanujan's family worship?
8. Describe Ramanujan's wedding ceremony.
9. How did Hardy explain the value of math to his family?
10. Describe the difference between English mathematics and Continental mathematics.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
To what extent was math a social enterprise for Ramanujan? How much did his career depend on other people? What made other people believe in him? What values did those people have that made it important to help Ramanujan?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the importance of illness and bad health on Ramanujan's life. How did it shape his personality and his intellect? How did it weaken him? How did it strengthen him?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Ramanujan's life and Hardy's. How are they similar? How are they different? What did they offer each other? Was Ramanujan truly Hardy's greatest accomplishment? Does that make Ramanujan's depression, suicide attempt and death Hardy's greatest failure?
This section contains 617 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)