|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Hardy need to excel on the entrance exams for secondary education?
2. What did Ramanujan practice as part of his religion?
3. What did Ramanujan do while he waited for his wife?
4. For how long would Ramanujan's condition persist?
5. What does Kanigel say Ramanujan learned from an old book?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Ramanujan's temperament reveal itself when he was a child?
2. How was Ramanujan's first paper received?
3. What happened after Ramanujan left Kumbakonam's Government College?
4. Describe the difference between English mathematics and Continental mathematics.
5. What led to Ramanujan getting married?
6. Describe Ramanujan's place of birth.
7. Describe Ramanujan's experience at Pachaiyappas College in Madras.
8. What practices did Ramanujan follow as a result of his religion?
9. Who were the Apostles?
10. What work did Ramanujan eventually find?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
To what extent was math a social enterprise for Ramanujan? How much did his career depend on other people? What made other people believe in him? What values did those people have that made it important to help Ramanujan?
Essay Topic 2
What problems did Ramanujan have because of his schooling, and how did he overcome them? (i.e. what techniques did he use, and how successful was he?)
Essay Topic 3
To what extent is Ramanujan's (or Hardy's) life an example to be followed? What lessons do these two lives teach? What lessons did they fail to learn themselves that they teach as negative examples?
This section contains 672 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)