|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was N. Ramanujachariar?
2. Who were the Senior Wranglers?
3. How does Kanigel describe Hardy?
4. Where did Hardy attend college?
5. When did Ramanujan begin to speak?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the importance of 'A Synopsis of Elementary Results in Pure and Applied Mathematics' in Ramanujan's life.
2. Describe Ramanujan's wedding ceremony.
3. What was Hardy's experience at Trinity College, Cambridge?
4. Describe Ramanujan's experience at Kumbakonam's Government College.
5. What work did Ramanujan eventually find?
6. How did marriage change Ramanujan's life?
7. Describe Ramanujan's experience at Pachaiyappas College in Madras.
8. What problems in Ramanujan's thinking came from his use of 'A Synopsis of Elementary Results in Pure and Applied Mathematics'?
9. What led to Ramanujan getting married?
10. What practices did Ramanujan follow as a result of his religion?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What were the two or three most influential influences in forming Ramanujan's character. What were the two or three most influential conflicts or absences or desires in shaping Ramanujan's character?
Essay Topic 2
What did Ramanujan use math for? What problems did he solve with it? Were they abstract mathematical problems, or life problems? How did math solve Ramanujan's life problems? Where did it fail to?
Essay Topic 3
Write a character sketch of the author based on his handling of the material in Ramanujan's life. What are the author's values like? What evidence do you have for them?
This section contains 646 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)