|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Hardy dislike about his secondary education?
2. What did Ramanujan use as evidence of his credentials in interviews?
3. What energy does Kanigel say Ramanujan redirected into mathematics?
4. Why was Ramanujan's scholarship changed?
5. Where did Hardy get his secondary education?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Shiva the god of?
2. Describe the difference between English mathematics and Continental mathematics.
3. How was Ramanujan's first paper received?
4. What was Hardy's experience at Trinity College, Cambridge?
5. How did Ramanujan go about looking for work?
6. How was it that Ramanujan would solve math problems without seeing the logic that dictated the development and solutions to problems?
7. Describe Ramanujan's experience at Kumbakonam's Government College.
8. How was Ramanujan's health as a child?
9. What happened after Ramanujan left Pachaiyappas College?
10. How did marriage change Ramanujan's life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a character sketch of the author based on his handling of the material in Ramanujan's life. What are the author's values like? What evidence do you have for them?
Essay Topic 2
What problems did Ramanujan have because of his schooling, and how did he overcome them? (i.e. what techniques did he use, and how successful was he?)
Essay Topic 3
Describe the importance of money and class status in Ramanujan's life. Was it important, or incidental? Where did he run into difficulties, or challenges, because of money? How did he solve them?
This section contains 625 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)