|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Ramanujan need to do now that he was married?
2. Who was N. Ramanujachariar?
3. Who comprised the Apostles?
4. Where did Ramanujan eventually find work?
5. What distinguished Ramanujan's class?
Short Essay Questions
1. What practices did Ramanujan follow as a result of his religion?
2. What did Ramanujan write to Hardy?
3. Describe Ramanujan's place of birth.
4. What problems in Ramanujan's thinking came from his use of 'A Synopsis of Elementary Results in Pure and Applied Mathematics'?
5. What problems did Ramanujan have on account of his Indian cultural practices?
6. Describe Ramanujan's wedding ceremony.
7. Describe Ramanujan's experience at Pachaiyappas College in Madras.
8. What was the Bloomsbury Group?
9. What accolades did Ramanujan receive for his work?
10. How much did Ramanujan's bride share in his mathematical life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What were the two or three most influential influences in forming Ramanujan's character. What were the two or three most influential conflicts or absences or desires in shaping Ramanujan's character?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the importance of illness and bad health on Ramanujan's life. How did it shape his personality and his intellect? How did it weaken him? How did it strengthen him?
Essay Topic 3
What did Ramanujan use math for? What problems did he solve with it? Were they abstract mathematical problems, or life problems? How did math solve Ramanujan's life problems? Where did it fail to?
This section contains 1,282 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)