|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was G. H. Hardy?
2. How does Kanigel describe education at Hardy's college?
3. Who comprised the Apostles?
4. When did Ramanujan begin to speak?
5. When does Kanigel say Ramanujan got hold of 'A Synopsis of Elementary Results in Pure and Applied Mathematics'?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Ramanujan's experience at Kumbakonam's Government College.
2. What was the subject of the challenge Ramanujan set and then resolved in his first paper?
3. What was Hardy's experience at Trinity College, Cambridge?
4. Who were the Apostles?
5. What problems in Ramanujan's thinking came from his use of 'A Synopsis of Elementary Results in Pure and Applied Mathematics'?
6. Describe the difference between English mathematics and Continental mathematics.
7. What gods did Ramanujan's family worship?
8. What is Shiva the god of?
9. How was Ramanujan's health as a child?
10. What work did Ramanujan eventually find?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the role of Ramanujan's wife in his life and career. How important was it for him to be married? Was he married to someone or something else besides his wife?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Ramanujan's life and Hardy's. How are they similar? How are they different? What did they offer each other? Was Ramanujan truly Hardy's greatest accomplishment? Does that make Ramanujan's depression, suicide attempt and death Hardy's greatest failure?
Essay Topic 3
What were the two or three most influential influences in forming Ramanujan's character. What were the two or three most influential conflicts or absences or desires in shaping Ramanujan's character?
This section contains 602 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)