|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When would Ramanujan and his wife consummate their marriage?
2. Who are the Apostles?
3. How does Kanigel describe the skills Ramanujan got from 'A Synopsis of Elementary Results in Pure and Applied Mathematics'?
4. When was Ramanujan born?
5. Why did Ramanujan leave school?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened after Ramanujan left Pachaiyappas College?
2. How was it that Ramanujan would solve math problems without seeing the logic that dictated the development and solutions to problems?
3. Describe the difference between English mathematics and Continental mathematics.
4. Describe Ramanujan's experience at Kumbakonam's Government College.
5. What was Hardy's experience at Trinity College, Cambridge?
6. Why did Ramanujan's parents have a hard time finding a wife for him?
7. What was Hardy's experience at Winchester?
8. Describe the importance of 'A Synopsis of Elementary Results in Pure and Applied Mathematics' in Ramanujan's life.
9. Describe Ramanujan's place of birth.
10. How did Ramanujan's temperament reveal itself when he was a child?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
To what extent was math a social enterprise for Ramanujan? How much did his career depend on other people? What made other people believe in him? What values did those people have that made it important to help Ramanujan?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the importance of illness and bad health on Ramanujan's life. How did it shape his personality and his intellect? How did it weaken him? How did it strengthen him?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the role of Ramanujan's wife in his life and career. How important was it for him to be married? Was he married to someone or something else besides his wife?
This section contains 690 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)