|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Kanigel describe the skills Ramanujan got from 'A Synopsis of Elementary Results in Pure and Applied Mathematics'?
2. Who comprised the Apostles?
3. Where did Ramanujan go when he was 17?
4. What energy does Kanigel say Ramanujan redirected into mathematics?
5. How does Kanigel say Hardy saw himself, first and foremost?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened after Ramanujan left Pachaiyappas College?
2. What is Shiva the god of?
3. What gods did Ramanujan's family worship?
4. How did Ramanujan distinguish himself as a math student?
5. How was it that Ramanujan would solve math problems without seeing the logic that dictated the development and solutions to problems?
6. How was Ramanujan's health as a child?
7. Why did Ramanujan's parents have a hard time finding a wife for him?
8. Describe the difference between English mathematics and Continental mathematics.
9. What was Hardy's experience at Winchester?
10. What was the subject of the challenge Ramanujan set and then resolved in his first paper?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
To what extent was math a social enterprise for Ramanujan? How much did his career depend on other people? What made other people believe in him? What values did those people have that made it important to help Ramanujan?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the influence of education systems on Ramanujan's life. How much is he defined by the systems from which he came? How is he defined by other influences?
Essay Topic 3
Write a character sketch of the author based on his handling of the material in Ramanujan's life. What are the author's values like? What evidence do you have for them?
This section contains 578 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)