|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was Ramanujan's scholarship changed?
2. Who are the Apostles?
3. Where did Ramanujan eventually find work?
4. When would Ramanujan and his wife consummate their marriage?
5. What distinguished Ramanujan's class?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Ramanujan's parents have a hard time finding a wife for him?
2. What was Hardy's experience at Trinity College, Cambridge?
3. Who were the Apostles?
4. How did Ramanujan's interest change as he grew up?
5. How did Ramanujan distinguish himself as a math student?
6. How did Ramanujan go about looking for work?
7. What problems in Ramanujan's thinking came from his use of 'A Synopsis of Elementary Results in Pure and Applied Mathematics'?
8. Describe the difference between English mathematics and Continental mathematics.
9. What work did Ramanujan eventually find?
10. What was the Bloomsbury Group?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ramanujan once ran away from home. Describe his relationship with his family, and the running-away temperament: what was he running to? Cite another time when he 'ran away' from things? Did he ever have a feeling of arrival in a place that redeemed the problems with his family or immediate environment?
Essay Topic 2
To what extent was math a social enterprise for Ramanujan? How much did his career depend on other people? What made other people believe in him? What values did those people have that made it important to help Ramanujan?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the importance of money and class status in Ramanujan's life. Was it important, or incidental? Where did he run into difficulties, or challenges, because of money? How did he solve them?
This section contains 674 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)