|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What contributed to Ramanujan's status as a potential husband?
2. What does Kanigel say Ramanujan disliked as a child?
3. Who wrote 'A Synopsis of Elementary Results in Pure and Applied Mathematics'?
4. Where did Ramanujan eventually find work?
5. What did parents see when they looked at Ramanujan as a prospective husband?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the difference between English mathematics and Continental mathematics.
2. What gods did Ramanujan's family worship?
3. How was Ramanujan's health as a child?
4. What work did Ramanujan eventually find?
5. How did Ramanujan's interest change as he grew up?
6. What led to Ramanujan getting married?
7. Who were the Apostles?
8. What was the subject of the challenge Ramanujan set and then resolved in his first paper?
9. Describe Ramanujan's wedding ceremony.
10. How did Ramanujan distinguish himself as a math student?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ramanujan once ran away from home. Describe his relationship with his family, and the running-away temperament: what was he running to? Cite another time when he 'ran away' from things? Did he ever have a feeling of arrival in a place that redeemed the problems with his family or immediate environment?
Essay Topic 2
What did Ramanujan use math for? What problems did he solve with it? Were they abstract mathematical problems, or life problems? How did math solve Ramanujan's life problems? Where did it fail to?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the importance of money and class status in Ramanujan's life. Was it important, or incidental? Where did he run into difficulties, or challenges, because of money? How did he solve them?
This section contains 603 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)