|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Ramanujan begin to speak?
2. What was Ramanujan like in school?
3. Who comprised the Apostles?
4. How does Kanigel characterize Ramanujan's tutoring?
5. Who was N. Ramanujachariar?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the subject of the challenge Ramanujan set and then resolved in his first paper?
2. How was Ramanujan's health as a child?
3. Describe Ramanujan's experience at Pachaiyappas College in Madras.
4. How did Ramanujan distinguish himself as a math student?
5. What does 'A Synopsis of Elementary Results in Pure and Applied Mathematics' consist of?
6. What was Hardy's experience at Trinity College, Cambridge?
7. Describe Ramanujan's experience at Kumbakonam's Government College.
8. What is Shiva the god of?
9. Describe the difference between English mathematics and Continental mathematics.
10. What problems in Ramanujan's thinking came from his use of 'A Synopsis of Elementary Results in Pure and Applied Mathematics'?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Ramanujan's life and Hardy's. How are they similar? How are they different? What did they offer each other? Was Ramanujan truly Hardy's greatest accomplishment? Does that make Ramanujan's depression, suicide attempt and death Hardy's greatest failure?
Essay Topic 2
To what extent is Ramanujan's (or Hardy's) life an example to be followed? What lessons do these two lives teach? What lessons did they fail to learn themselves that they teach as negative examples?
Essay Topic 3
What problems did Ramanujan have because of his schooling, and how did he overcome them? (i.e. what techniques did he use, and how successful was he?)
This section contains 629 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)