|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Kanigel describe the seriousness of Ramanujan's condition?
2. How does Kanigel say Ramanujan would solve math problems?
3. What did Ramanujan practice as part of his religion?
4. How does Kanigel characterize Ramanujan's solutions to the math problems in 'A Synopsis of Elementary Results in Pure and Applied Mathematics'?
5. How does Kanigel characterize Ramanujan's developing approach to math?
Short Essay Questions
1. What practices did Ramanujan follow as a result of his religion?
2. How did Ramanujan go about looking for work?
3. How was Ramanujan's first paper received?
4. Describe Ramanujan's experience at Pachaiyappas College in Madras.
5. How was Ramanujan's health as a child?
6. What work did Ramanujan eventually find?
7. Who were the Apostles?
8. How was it that Ramanujan would solve math problems without seeing the logic that dictated the development and solutions to problems?
9. Describe the difference between English mathematics and Continental mathematics.
10. How did Ramanujan's temperament reveal itself when he was a child?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What problems did Ramanujan have because of his schooling, and how did he overcome them? (i.e. what techniques did he use, and how successful was he?)
Essay Topic 2
Describe the importance of money and class status in Ramanujan's life. Was it important, or incidental? Where did he run into difficulties, or challenges, because of money? How did he solve them?
Essay Topic 3
Was Ramanujan different 'as a person' than he was 'as a mathematician'? Did his work in math redeem the discomforts or failures he suffered elsewhere in his life? How does his life balance out--was he a mathematician, or a fully-developed human being, who could adjust to any number of human experiences?
This section contains 650 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)