Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When would Ramanujan and his wife consummate their marriage?
2. What class was Ramanujan raised in?
3. What did Ramanujan's parents do in response to their impatience?
4. How does Kanigel describe education at Hardy's college?
5. Where did Ramanujan eventually find work?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Hardy's experience at Winchester?
2. What gods did Ramanujan's family worship?
3. What was Ramanujan's Master Theorem intended to do?
4. What does 'A Synopsis of Elementary Results in Pure and Applied Mathematics' consist of?
5. What was the subject of the challenge Ramanujan set and then resolved in his first paper?
6. What accolades did Ramanujan receive for his work?
7. Describe Ramanujan's experience at Pachaiyappas College in Madras.
8. What led to Ramanujan getting married?
9. Where did Hardy go from Oxford?
10. How much did Ramanujan's bride share in his mathematical life?
Essay Topic 1
Ramanujan once ran away from home. Describe his relationship with his family, and the running-away temperament: what was he running to? Cite another time when he 'ran away' from things? Did he ever have a feeling of arrival in a place that redeemed the problems with his family or immediate environment?
Essay Topic 2
In what ways is Ramanujan a product of India? What is it about India that is evident in Ramanujan's character? In what ways is Ramanujan British? In what ways is he not? Is he an international citizen in the universe of math?
Essay Topic 3
Ramanujan was never a teacher, just a theoretical mathematician. Describe the role of researcher and evaluate its benefit to Ramanujan: was it good for him? Would he have been happy or miserable as a teacher?
This section contains 662 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)