|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the British term for what Americans call private high schools?
2. When does Kanigel say Ramanujan got hold of 'A Synopsis of Elementary Results in Pure and Applied Mathematics'?
3. Where did Hardy get his secondary education?
4. What did Ramanujan practice as part of his religion?
5. What was Ramanujan's religion?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who were the Apostles?
2. How did Ramanujan go about looking for work?
3. Describe Ramanujan's wedding ceremony.
4. Why did Ramanujan's parents have a hard time finding a wife for him?
5. Describe the importance of 'A Synopsis of Elementary Results in Pure and Applied Mathematics' in Ramanujan's life.
6. What was the Bloomsbury Group?
7. Describe Ramanujan's place of birth.
8. How did Ramanujan distinguish himself as a math student?
9. How did Ramanujan's temperament reveal itself when he was a child?
10. What gods did Ramanujan's family worship?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What kind of mathematical thinker was Ramanujan? What kinds of problems was he attracted to, and how did he deploy his intelligence to solve them? What kinds of problems did he avoid?
Essay Topic 2
What did Ramanujan use math for? What problems did he solve with it? Were they abstract mathematical problems, or life problems? How did math solve Ramanujan's life problems? Where did it fail to?
Essay Topic 3
To what extent was math a social enterprise for Ramanujan? How much did his career depend on other people? What made other people believe in him? What values did those people have that made it important to help Ramanujan?
This section contains 601 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)