|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who comprised the Apostles?
2. What did Ramanujan attend at Pachaiyappas College?
3. For how long would Ramanujan's condition persist?
4. How does Kanigel characterize Ramanujan's first paper?
5. Where did Hardy get his secondary education?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did marriage change Ramanujan's life?
2. What was the Bloomsbury Group?
3. What was Hardy's experience at Trinity College, Cambridge?
4. How did Ramanujan distinguish himself as a math student?
5. What problems in Ramanujan's thinking came from his use of 'A Synopsis of Elementary Results in Pure and Applied Mathematics'?
6. Describe Ramanujan's place of birth.
7. What work did Ramanujan eventually find?
8. What led to Ramanujan getting married?
9. What was Hardy's experience at Winchester?
10. How was Ramanujan's health as a child?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How English did Ramanujan become after he went to England? How Indian was he when he returned to India?
Essay Topic 2
Was Ramanujan different 'as a person' than he was 'as a mathematician'? Did his work in math redeem the discomforts or failures he suffered elsewhere in his life? How does his life balance out--was he a mathematician, or a fully-developed human being, who could adjust to any number of human experiences?
Essay Topic 3
Ramanujan was never a teacher, just a theoretical mathematician. Describe the role of researcher and evaluate its benefit to Ramanujan: was it good for him? Would he have been happy or miserable as a teacher?
This section contains 647 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)