Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When would Ramanujan and his wife consummate their marriage?
2. What class was Ramanujan raised in?
3. What did Ramanujan's parents do in response to their impatience?
4. How does Kanigel describe education at Hardy's college?
5. Where did Ramanujan eventually find work?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Hardy's experience at Winchester?
2. What gods did Ramanujan's family worship?
3. What was Ramanujan's Master Theorem intended to do?
4. What does 'A Synopsis of Elementary Results in Pure and Applied Mathematics' consist of?
5. What was the subject of the challenge Ramanujan set and then resolved in his first paper?
6. What accolades did Ramanujan receive for his work?
7. Describe Ramanujan's experience at Pachaiyappas College in Madras.
8. What led to Ramanujan getting married?
9. Where did Hardy go from Oxford?
10. How much did Ramanujan's bride share in his mathematical life?
Essay Topic 1
Was Ramanujan different 'as a person' than he was 'as a mathematician'? Did his work in math redeem the discomforts or failures he suffered elsewhere in his life? How does his life balance out--was he a mathematician, or a fully-developed human being, who could adjust to any number of human experiences?
Essay Topic 2
Ramanujan once ran away from home. Describe his relationship with his family, and the running-away temperament: what was he running to? Cite another time when he 'ran away' from things? Did he ever have a feeling of arrival in a place that redeemed the problems with his family or immediate environment?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the role of Ramanujan's wife in his life and career. How important was it for him to be married? Was he married to someone or something else besides his wife?
This section contains 667 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)