|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was Ramanujan's scholarship changed?
2. What did Ramanujan attend at Pachaiyappas College?
3. What did Ramanujan do while he waited for his wife?
4. Who is Namagiri?
5. What was Ramanujan's caste?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened after Ramanujan left Pachaiyappas College?
2. What was Hardy's experience at Winchester?
3. How much did Ramanujan's bride share in his mathematical life?
4. What gods did Ramanujan's family worship?
5. Describe Ramanujan's experience at Kumbakonam's Government College.
6. Describe Ramanujan's trip to England.
7. What problem kept Ramanujan from coming to England, as Hardy hoped he would?
8. How did Ramanujan go about looking for work?
9. When did Hardy find out about Ramanujan's death?
10. How was Ramanujan treated on his return to India?
Essay Topic 1
Having reached a degree of fame, Ramanujan attempted suicide because he could not solve all the problems around him. Why was Ramanujan incapable of handling this inevitable limitation? Where else in his life were his needs far beyond the realm of what was possible?
Essay Topic 2
In what ways is Ramanujan a product of India? What is it about India that is evident in Ramanujan's character? In what ways is Ramanujan British? In what ways is he not? Is he an international citizen in the universe of math?
Essay Topic 3
Was Ramanujan different 'as a person' than he was 'as a mathematician'? Did his work in math redeem the discomforts or failures he suffered elsewhere in his life? How does his life balance out--was he a mathematician, or a fully-developed human being, who could adjust to any number of human experiences?
This section contains 1,207 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)