Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When would Ramanujan and his wife consummate their marriage?
2. What class was Ramanujan raised in?
3. What did Ramanujan's parents do in response to their impatience?
4. How does Kanigel describe education at Hardy's college?
5. Where did Ramanujan eventually find work?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Hardy's experience at Winchester?
2. What gods did Ramanujan's family worship?
3. What was Ramanujan's Master Theorem intended to do?
4. What does 'A Synopsis of Elementary Results in Pure and Applied Mathematics' consist of?
5. What was the subject of the challenge Ramanujan set and then resolved in his first paper?
6. What accolades did Ramanujan receive for his work?
7. Describe Ramanujan's experience at Pachaiyappas College in Madras.
8. What led to Ramanujan getting married?
9. Where did Hardy go from Oxford?
10. How much did Ramanujan's bride share in his mathematical life?
What kind of mathematical thinker was Ramanujan? What kinds of problems was he attracted to, and how did he deploy his intelligence to solve them? What kinds of problems did he avoid?
In what ways is Ramanujan a product of India? What is it about India that is evident in Ramanujan's character? In what ways is Ramanujan British? In what ways is he not? Is he an international citizen in the universe of math?
Was Ramanujan different 'as a person' than he was 'as a mathematician'? Did his work in math redeem the discomforts or failures he suffered elsewhere in his life? How does his life balance out--was he a mathematician, or a fully-developed human being, who could adjust to any number of human experiences?
This section contains 653 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)