|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which god was Ramanujan's family devoted to?
2. What was Ramanujan's family's status?
3. What does Kanigel say Ramanujan disliked as a child?
4. What did Ramanujan use as evidence of his credentials in interviews?
5. When did the Tripos take place?
Short Essay Questions
1. What led to Ramanujan getting married?
2. What does 'A Synopsis of Elementary Results in Pure and Applied Mathematics' consist of?
3. Who were the Apostles?
4. What was the subject of the challenge Ramanujan set and then resolved in his first paper?
5. How did Ramanujan go about looking for work?
6. Describe Ramanujan's place of birth.
7. Describe the importance of 'A Synopsis of Elementary Results in Pure and Applied Mathematics' in Ramanujan's life.
8. Describe the difference between English mathematics and Continental mathematics.
9. Why did Ramanujan's parents have a hard time finding a wife for him?
10. Describe Ramanujan's experience at Kumbakonam's Government College.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What problems did Ramanujan have because of his schooling, and how did he overcome them? (i.e. what techniques did he use, and how successful was he?)
Essay Topic 2
How English did Ramanujan become after he went to England? How Indian was he when he returned to India?
Essay Topic 3
Write a character sketch of the author based on his handling of the material in Ramanujan's life. What are the author's values like? What evidence do you have for them?
This section contains 609 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)