|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What class was Ramanujan raised in?
2. When was Ramanujan born?
3. What contributed to Ramanujan's status as a potential husband?
4. What energy does Kanigel say Ramanujan redirected into mathematics?
5. What is the British term for what Americans call private high schools?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Hardy's experience at Winchester?
2. What was the Bloomsbury Group?
3. How did Ramanujan go about looking for work?
4. Who were the Apostles?
5. How was Ramanujan's health as a child?
6. Describe the decline of Ramanujan's health.
7. How did Ramanujan distinguish himself as a math student?
8. What is Shiva the god of?
9. Why did Ramanujan's parents have a hard time finding a wife for him?
10. What was Ramanujan's decline like, and death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In what ways is Ramanujan a product of India? What is it about India that is evident in Ramanujan's character? In what ways is Ramanujan British? In what ways is he not? Is he an international citizen in the universe of math?
Essay Topic 2
What do you think is missing from this book? What should have been covered or presented that was not? What is the effect of this absence?
Essay Topic 3
Write a character sketch of the author based on his handling of the material in Ramanujan's life. What are the author's values like? What evidence do you have for them?
This section contains 1,192 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)