|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who did Ramanujan stay with in England?
(b) John Littlewood.
2. How does Kanigel describe Ramanujan's relationship with his wife?
(a) Almost non-existent.
3. What did Littlewood and Hardy see as mathematically important?
(a) Ramanujan's detailed proofs.
(b) Ramanujan's infinite series.
(c) Ramanujan's nested square roots.
(d) Ramanujan's use of irrational numbers.
4. What was Ramanujan interested in in this value?
(a) Underlying properties.
(b) The constant's practical value.
(c) Its infinite nature.
(d) The constant's irrationality.
5. How does Kanigel describe the value of Ramanujan's discovery?
(a) It has yet to be disproved.
(b) It predicts the behavior of certain celestial bodies.
(c) It is still used today.
(d) It revised several major mathematic theorems.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who developed an exact solution to the question of partitions?
2. How did Ramanujan respond to Hardy's request for proofs?
3. In his letter to Hardy, what was the importance of the thing Ramanujan claimed to have discovered?
4. How does Kanigel describe Ramanujan's dress?
5. To what extent does Kanigel say Ramanujan blended in with Cambridge society?
Short Essay Questions
1. What has been the impact of Ramanujan's work?
2. What was Ramanujan's Master Theorem intended to do?
3. What was Ramanujan's relationship with Cambridge after he left for India?
4. What was the conflict between Ramanujan's family and his wife?
5. Ramanujan kept extensive notes of his thinking. What was in Ramanujan's notebooks, and how much of his work was valuable, according to Kanigel?
6. What was Ramanujan's condition when he returned to India?
7. What problem kept Ramanujan from coming to England, as Hardy hoped he would?
8. What was Ramanujan's response when Hardy asked him for proofs?
9. What accolades did Ramanujan receive for his work?
10. What problems did Ramanujan have on account of his Indian cultural practices?
This section contains 771 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)