|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Ramanujan interested in in this value?
(a) Its infinite nature.
(b) The constant's irrationality.
(c) Underlying properties.
(d) The constant's practical value.
2. What was Ramanujan's intention when he returned home?
(a) Never to return to England.
(b) To stay in India for a few years.
(c) To teach in India.
(d) To bring his wife back to England.
3. What did the divergent series 1+2+3+4+5... add up to in Ramanujan's notebooks?
4. Who developed an exact solution to the question of partitions?
(a) Later mathematicians.
5. What did Hardy try to arrange after receiving Ramanujan's letter?
(a) Ramanujan's passage to England.
(b) A teaching position for Ramanujan.
(c) A scholarship for Ramanujan in India.
(d) A meeting with Ramanujan.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Ramanujan work out in his research on constants?
2. What society was Ramanujan elected to?
3. What did Ramanujan discover when his friend Mahalanobis read a puzzle from the paper?
4. Who is NOT included in the list of people who have benefited from Ramanujan's work, in Kanigel's account?
5. What did Hardy and Neville nominate Ramanujan to become?
This section contains 247 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)