|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Hardy try to arrange after receiving Ramanujan's letter?
(a) A teaching position for Ramanujan.
(b) Ramanujan's passage to England.
(c) A scholarship for Ramanujan in India.
(d) A meeting with Ramanujan.
2. What does Kanigel say prevented Ramanujan from getting the care he needed?
(a) His distance from the cultural centers.
(b) The fight between his wife and mother.
(c) His family's poverty.
(d) The Great War.
3. Who did Ramanujan stay with in England?
(b) John Littlewood.
4. What did Littlewood and Hardy see as mathematically important?
(a) Ramanujan's infinite series.
(b) Ramanujan's detailed proofs.
(c) Ramanujan's use of irrational numbers.
(d) Ramanujan's nested square roots.
5. With whom did Ramanujan eventually begin to develop a real relationship, according to Kanigel?
(a) His wife.
(b) His in-laws.
(c) His patron.
(d) His old friends.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did NOT contribute to Ramanujan's discomfort during the sea voyage to England?
2. Who was Neville?
3. How does Kanigel describe Ramanujan as a mathematical thinker?
4. Who developed an exact solution to the question of partitions?
5. In his letter to Hardy, what was the importance of the thing Ramanujan claimed to have discovered?
This section contains 237 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)