|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Ramanujan work out in his research on constants?
(a) A foundation for Euler's constant.
(b) An approximation of pi.
(c) A new use for Euler's constant.
(d) A solution to pi.
2. How does Kanigel describe John Littlewood?
(a) A bureaucrat.
(b) A therapist.
(c) A math prodigy.
(d) A consultant.
3. What cultural practice did Ramanujan insist on, in Kanigel's account?
(a) Animal sacrifice.
(b) Visiting Hindu shrines.
(d) Daily prayers.
4. What was the doctor's diagnosis of Ramanujan's illness?
(b) Heart disease.
5. What was Ramanujan interested in in this value?
(a) Its infinite nature.
(b) The constant's irrationality.
(c) The constant's practical value.
(d) Underlying properties.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the result of Ramanujan clinging to his cultural practices?
2. How does Kanigel describe the value of Ramanujan's discovery?
3. What did Ramanujan discover when his friend Mahalanobis read a puzzle from the paper?
4. In his letter to Hardy, what was the importance of the thing Ramanujan claimed to have discovered?
5. What was it that offended Ramanujan when he invited some friends to dinner?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Ramanujan write to Hardy?
2. Where did Ramanujan go when he reached England?
3. What accolades did Ramanujan receive for his work?
4. What was Ramanujan's interest in pi?
5. What problems did Ramanujan have on account of his Indian cultural practices?
6. What was Ramanujan's decline like, and death?
7. What is a formalist in mathematical thinking?
8. What was Ramanujan's condition when he returned to India?
9. What did Hardy do with Ramanujan's letter?
10. What problem kept Ramanujan from coming to England, as Hardy hoped he would?
This section contains 760 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)