|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When did Ramanujan die?
2. What was Ramanujan interested in in this value?
(a) Underlying properties.
(b) The constant's irrationality.
(c) Its infinite nature.
(d) The constant's practical value.
3. What society was Ramanujan elected to?
(a) Phi Beta Kappa.
(b) The Apostles.
(c) The Royal Society.
(d) The Academy of Sciences.
4. In his letter to Hardy, what was the importance of the thing Ramanujan claimed to have discovered?
(a) It was already common knowledge.
(b) It had been a mystery for years.
(c) No one under thirty had even tried it.
(d) It was just being discovered simultaneously at other math departments.
5. Who was Leonard Euler?
(a) A teacher at Cambridge.
(b) A brilliant mathematician to whom Hardy compared Ramanujan.
(c) Hardy's protégé.
(d) Ramanujan's tutor.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was proved incorrect in Ramanujan's work from this time?
2. What was the doctor's diagnosis of Ramanujan's illness?
3. Who met Ramanujan in England?
4. What aspect of the English does Kanigel say affected Ramanujan?
5. Who did Ramanujan stay with in England?
This section contains 179 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)