|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Ramanujan respond to Hardy's request for proofs?
(a) He said he could not produce them.
(b) He would send them if Hardy would help him financially.
(c) He dragged his feet about sending them.
(d) He sent them immediately.
2. In his letter to Hardy, what did Ramanujan say he had discovered?
(a) A mistake in Hardy's theorems.
(b) A solution to a problem Hardy proposed.
(c) A theory of relativity.
(d) A function for using irrational numbers in multi-variable calculus.
3. What did Ramanujan and Hardy develop for working with partitions?
(a) The circle method.
(b) Nested square roots.
(c) A refinement of Euler's suggestion.
(d) A precise method for determining partitions for prime numbers.
4. How did Ramanujan spend all his time on returning to India?
(a) With his parents.
(b) At the school where he taught.
(c) With his wife.
(d) On math.
5. What conflict did Ramanujan return to?
(a) His mother and father.
(b) His father and the authorities.
(c) His parents with his in-laws.
(d) His wife and his mother.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the result of Ramanujan clinging to his cultural practices?
2. Who developed an exact solution to the question of partitions?
3. With whom did Ramanujan eventually begin to develop a real relationship, according to Kanigel?
4. What did Hardy and Neville nominate Ramanujan to become?
5. What does Kanigel say Ramanujan distrusted in English society?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where did Ramanujan go when he reached England?
2. What has been the impact of Ramanujan's work?
3. What problems did Ramanujan have on account of his Indian cultural practices?
4. What was Ramanujan's decline like, and death?
5. What did Ramanujan discover when P. C. Mahalanobis read him a puzzle one evening?
6. Describe the decline of Ramanujan's health.
7. What is a formalist in mathematical thinking?
8. What was Ramanujan's condition when he returned to India?
9. In what way was Ramanujan's experience of England similar to Ghandi's?
10. Describe Ramanujan and Hardy's work on partitions.
This section contains 767 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)