|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Ramanujan spend all his time on returning to India?
(a) With his parents.
(b) On math.
(c) With his wife.
(d) At the school where he taught.
2. Who is NOT included in the list of people who have benefited from Ramanujan's work, in Kanigel's account?
(a) Computer scientists.
3. What did Ramanujan petition Cambridge for?
(a) A stipend.
(c) The right to return.
(d) An assistant.
4. What did Hardy and his friends arrange for Ramanujan?
(a) A bureaucratic appointment.
(b) A research position.
(c) A sinecure.
(d) A teaching position.
5. What is the state of Ramanujan's work now?
(b) Completely published and evaluated.
(c) Not completely published.
(d) Not completely collected.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Ramanujan move to?
2. How did Ramanujan respond to Hardy's request for proofs?
3. How does Kanigel say Ramanujan saw himself when he was returning to India?
4. What was Ramanujan interested in in this value?
5. What was proved incorrect in Ramanujan's work from this time?
Short Essay Questions
1. What accolades did Ramanujan receive for his work?
2. What did Hardy do with Ramanujan's letter?
3. In what way was Ramanujan's experience of England similar to Ghandi's?
4. What is a formalist in mathematical thinking?
5. What problem kept Ramanujan from coming to England, as Hardy hoped he would?
6. What problems did Ramanujan have on account of his Indian cultural practices?
7. What did Ramanujan write to Hardy?
8. What has been the impact of Ramanujan's work?
9. What was Ramanujan's relationship with Cambridge after he left for India?
10. What was Ramanujan's decline like, and death?
This section contains 634 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)