|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Kanigel say prevented Ramanujan from getting the care he needed?
(a) His family's poverty.
(b) The fight between his wife and mother.
(c) The Great War.
(d) His distance from the cultural centers.
2. What did Hardy decide after conferring with John Littlewood?
(a) That Ramanujan was dangerous.
(b) That Ramanujan was unstable.
(c) That Ramanujan was a genius.
(d) That Ramanujan was a small thinker.
3. Based on his letter, what was Hardy trying to determine about Ramanujan?
(a) Who his teachers had been.
(b) Where he was from.
(c) How he had devised his theories.
(d) Whether he was a crank.
4. How does Kanigel describe English society from Ramanujan's point-of-view?
5. What did Littlewood and Hardy see as mathematically important?
(a) Ramanujan's nested square roots.
(b) Ramanujan's detailed proofs.
(c) Ramanujan's infinite series.
(d) Ramanujan's use of irrational numbers.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the doctor's diagnosis of Ramanujan's illness?
2. When do mathematicians believe Ramanujan did his best work?
3. Who was Leonard Euler?
4. What did Hardy try to arrange after receiving Ramanujan's letter?
5. What did NOT contribute to Ramanujan's discomfort during the sea voyage to England?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Ramanujan write to Hardy?
2. What did Hardy do with Ramanujan's letter?
3. What was the conflict between Ramanujan's family and his wife?
4. What is a formalist in mathematical thinking?
5. In what way was Ramanujan's experience of England similar to Ghandi's?
6. Where did Ramanujan go when he reached England?
7. Describe Ramanujan's trip to England.
8. What was Ramanujan's interest in pi?
9. Describe the decline of Ramanujan's health.
10. What cultural practices did Ramanujan hold on to from India?
This section contains 689 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)