|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was it that offended Ramanujan when he invited some friends to dinner?
(a) The women declined a third helping.
(b) The friends criticized his cooking.
(c) The men used salt.
(d) The friends wanted to use silverware.
2. How does Kanigel describe Ramanujan's relationship with his wife?
(b) Almost non-existent.
3. How did Ramanujan see himself socially, according to Kanigel?
(a) As a Brahmin.
(b) As a celebrity.
(c) As a citizen.
(d) As a mathematician.
4. When do mathematicians believe Ramanujan did his best work?
(a) During his illness.
(b) At Cambridge.
(c) On the ship back to India.
(d) Before he left for England.
5. How does Kanigel say Ramanujan saw himself when he was returning to India?
(a) Not successful.
(b) A demi-god.
(c) A complete failure.
(d) A celebrity.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Hardy decide after conferring with John Littlewood?
2. How was Ramanujan treated on his return?
3. What did Littlewood and Hardy see as mathematically important?
4. Who learned of Ramanujan's arrival by the newspapers?
5. Who did Ramanujan stay with in England?
This section contains 216 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)