|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Kanigel describe the trip to England?
(c) Sublimely beautiful.
2. How does Kanigel describe John Littlewood?
(a) A bureaucrat.
(b) A consultant.
(c) A math prodigy.
(d) A therapist.
3. What did Ramanujan work out in his research on constants?
(a) A solution to pi.
(b) An approximation of pi.
(c) A foundation for Euler's constant.
(d) A new use for Euler's constant.
4. What was Ramanujan's intention when he returned home?
(a) To stay in India for a few years.
(b) To teach in India.
(c) Never to return to England.
(d) To bring his wife back to England.
5. What does Kanigel say was Ramanujan's greatest talent?
(a) His perception.
(b) His intuition.
(c) His associative abilities.
(d) His calculations.
Short Answer Questions
1. With whom did Ramanujan eventually begin to develop a real relationship, according to Kanigel?
2. What was the doctor's diagnosis of Ramanujan's illness?
3. What was proved incorrect in Ramanujan's work from this time?
4. What was proved correct in Ramanujan's work from this time?
5. How did Ramanujan spend all his time on returning to India?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where did Ramanujan go when he reached England?
2. Describe the decline of Ramanujan's health.
3. What has been the impact of Ramanujan's work?
4. What accolades did Ramanujan receive for his work?
5. What was the conflict between Ramanujan's family and his wife?
6. What was Ramanujan's condition when he returned to India?
7. What did Hardy do with Ramanujan's letter?
8. What problem kept Ramanujan from coming to England, as Hardy hoped he would?
9. What problems did Ramanujan have on account of his Indian cultural practices?
10. How much did Ramanujan's bride share in his mathematical life?
This section contains 676 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)