|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long did the trip from India to England take?
(a) A month.
(b) Two months.
(c) Six weeks.
(d) Three weeks.
2. How much of Ramanujan's work did Hardy believe was sound and original?
(a) One to two thirds.
(b) Almost all of it.
(c) Half to three quarters.
(d) Five to ten percent.
3. What society was Ramanujan elected to?
(a) The Apostles.
(b) The Royal Society.
(c) The Academy of Sciences.
(d) Phi Beta Kappa.
4. In his letter to Hardy, what did Ramanujan say he had discovered?
(a) A solution to a problem Hardy proposed.
(b) A mistake in Hardy's theorems.
(c) A function for using irrational numbers in multi-variable calculus.
(d) A theory of relativity.
5. How does Kanigel describe Ramanujan as a mathematical thinker?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who developed an exact solution to the question of partitions?
2. What is the state of Ramanujan's work now?
3. Based on his letter, what was Hardy trying to determine about Ramanujan?
4. What was it that offended Ramanujan when he invited some friends to dinner?
5. What was proved incorrect in Ramanujan's work from this time?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Ramanujan's interest in pi?
2. What was Ramanujan's condition when he returned to India?
3. What is a formalist in mathematical thinking?
4. What did Ramanujan write to Hardy?
5. Describe Ramanujan and Hardy's work on partitions.
6. What problems did Ramanujan have on account of his Indian cultural practices?
7. What did Ramanujan discover when P. C. Mahalanobis read him a puzzle one evening?
8. Describe Ramanujan's trip to England.
9. What did Hardy do with Ramanujan's letter?
10. Ramanujan kept extensive notes of his thinking. What was in Ramanujan's notebooks, and how much of his work was valuable, according to Kanigel?
This section contains 777 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)