|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are partitions in math?
(a) The divisions between theorems and proofs.
(b) The distinctions between prime numbers and other numbers.
(c) The separation between rational and irrational numbers.
(d) The number of ways to arrive at a number.
2. How does Kanigel characterize Ramanujan's theorems and formulas?
(a) Almost incomprehensible.
(c) Odd by English standards.
(d) Universally recognizable.
3. What was proved correct in Ramanujan's work from this time?
(a) His proofs.
(b) His conclusions.
(c) His theorems.
(d) His assumptions.
4. What was the doctor's prescription for Ramanujan's condition?
(b) Physical activity.
(c) Rest and care.
5. In his letter to Hardy, what was the importance of the thing Ramanujan claimed to have discovered?
(a) It was just being discovered simultaneously at other math departments.
(b) No one under thirty had even tried it.
(c) It was already common knowledge.
(d) It had been a mystery for years.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was it that offended Ramanujan when he invited some friends to dinner?
2. How does Kanigel say Ramanujan saw himself when he was returning to India?
3. How was Ramanujan treated on his return?
4. What did Ramanujan and Hardy develop for working with partitions?
5. What did the divergent series 1+2+3+4+5... add up to in Ramanujan's notebooks?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Ramanujan and Hardy's work on partitions.
2. What problems did Ramanujan have on account of his Indian cultural practices?
3. What is a formalist in mathematical thinking?
4. How was Ramanujan treated on his return to India?
5. What was Ramanujan's interest in pi?
6. What was Ramanujan's Master Theorem intended to do?
7. Describe the decline of Ramanujan's health.
8. What was Ramanujan's response when Hardy asked him for proofs?
9. What was Ramanujan's condition when he returned to India?
10. What did Ramanujan discover when P. C. Mahalanobis read him a puzzle one evening?
This section contains 770 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)