|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Ramanujan and Hardy develop for working with partitions?
(a) A refinement of Euler's suggestion.
(b) The circle method.
(c) A precise method for determining partitions for prime numbers.
(d) Nested square roots.
2. How does Kanigel describe the trip to England?
(c) Sublimely beautiful.
3. Who developed an exact solution to the question of partitions?
(a) Later mathematicians.
4. What are partitions in math?
(a) The number of ways to arrive at a number.
(b) The distinctions between prime numbers and other numbers.
(c) The separation between rational and irrational numbers.
(d) The divisions between theorems and proofs.
5. What did Ramanujan work out in his research on constants?
(a) An approximation of pi.
(b) A new use for Euler's constant.
(c) A solution to pi.
(d) A foundation for Euler's constant.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Kanigel describe John Littlewood?
2. Where did Ramanujan move to?
3. What was the result of Ramanujan clinging to his cultural practices?
4. What did Hardy decide after conferring with John Littlewood?
5. Who was Leonard Euler?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Ramanujan's interest in pi?
2. Describe Ramanujan's trip to England.
3. What was Ramanujan's Master Theorem intended to do?
4. What accolades did Ramanujan receive for his work?
5. Describe the decline of Ramanujan's health.
6. Ramanujan kept extensive notes of his thinking. What was in Ramanujan's notebooks, and how much of his work was valuable, according to Kanigel?
7. What did Ramanujan discover when P. C. Mahalanobis read him a puzzle one evening?
8. What cultural practices did Ramanujan hold on to from India?
9. How was Ramanujan treated on his return to India?
10. In what way was Ramanujan's experience of England similar to Ghandi's?
This section contains 698 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)