|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Ramanujan petition Cambridge for?
(b) The right to return.
(c) An assistant.
(d) A stipend.
2. What society was Ramanujan elected to?
(a) Phi Beta Kappa.
(b) The Apostles.
(c) The Academy of Sciences.
(d) The Royal Society.
3. What other Indian thinker does Kanigel compare Ramanujan's experience with?
(a) Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar.
(c) Anant Raje.
(d) Muhammad Ali Jinnah.
4. What aspect of the English does Kanigel say affected Ramanujan?
(a) Affected coldness.
(d) Intellectual rigor.
5. What was it that offended Ramanujan when he invited some friends to dinner?
(a) The friends criticized his cooking.
(b) The men used salt.
(c) The friends wanted to use silverware.
(d) The women declined a third helping.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Ramanujan's Master Theorem attempt to do?
2. How does Kanigel describe the value of Ramanujan's discovery?
3. What did Ramanujan say he was willing to do in order to come to England?
4. What did Hardy decide after conferring with John Littlewood?
5. Who was Neville?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is a formalist in mathematical thinking?
2. What was Ramanujan's interest in pi?
3. What cultural practices did Ramanujan hold on to from India?
4. In what way was Ramanujan's experience of England similar to Ghandi's?
5. What was Ramanujan's relationship with Cambridge after he left for India?
6. What did Hardy do with Ramanujan's letter?
7. What accolades did Ramanujan receive for his work?
8. Describe the decline of Ramanujan's health.
9. What did Ramanujan discover when P. C. Mahalanobis read him a puzzle one evening?
10. What problem kept Ramanujan from coming to England, as Hardy hoped he would?
This section contains 638 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)