|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Ramanujan discover when his friend Mahalanobis read a puzzle from the paper?
(a) The value of pi.
(b) The mystical nature of numbers.
(c) A proof to all problems like that puzzle.
(d) The constant that resolves series to prime numbers.
2. What did Hardy and his friends arrange for Ramanujan?
(a) A teaching position.
(b) A sinecure.
(c) A research position.
(d) A bureaucratic appointment.
3. How does Kanigel describe the trip to England?
(b) Sublimely beautiful.
4. What conflict did Ramanujan return to?
(a) His father and the authorities.
(b) His parents with his in-laws.
(c) His mother and father.
(d) His wife and his mother.
5. To what extent does Kanigel say Ramanujan blended in with Cambridge society?
(a) He remained hostile to it.
(c) He was always in between cultures.
(d) Not very much.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Kanigel say characterized Indian intellectuals' experience at Cambridge?
2. What did Ramanujan and Hardy develop for working with partitions?
3. Who did Ramanujan stay with in England?
4. What did Ramanujan's Master Theorem attempt to do?
5. What does Kanigel say was Ramanujan's greatest talent?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way was Ramanujan's experience of England similar to Ghandi's?
2. What was Ramanujan's relationship with Cambridge after he left for India?
3. What was the conflict between Ramanujan's family and his wife?
4. What was Ramanujan's condition when he returned to India?
5. What cultural practices did Ramanujan hold on to from India?
6. What did Ramanujan discover when P. C. Mahalanobis read him a puzzle one evening?
7. What did Ramanujan write to Hardy?
8. What has been the impact of Ramanujan's work?
9. What did Hardy do with Ramanujan's letter?
10. Describe the decline of Ramanujan's health.
This section contains 683 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)