|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Kanigel describe the trip to England?
(d) Sublimely beautiful.
2. What does Kanigel say prevented Ramanujan from getting the care he needed?
(a) The fight between his wife and mother.
(b) The Great War.
(c) His distance from the cultural centers.
(d) His family's poverty.
3. Who met Ramanujan in England?
(a) John Littlewood.
4. Who developed an exact solution to the question of partitions?
(c) Later mathematicians.
5. What was it that offended Ramanujan when he invited some friends to dinner?
(a) The men used salt.
(b) The women declined a third helping.
(c) The friends wanted to use silverware.
(d) The friends criticized his cooking.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was proved incorrect in Ramanujan's work from this time?
2. What did Hardy and his friends arrange for Ramanujan?
3. What does Kanigel say was Ramanujan's greatest talent?
4. What are partitions in math?
5. How long did the trip from India to England take?
Short Essay Questions
1. What problems did Ramanujan have on account of his Indian cultural practices?
2. What was the conflict between Ramanujan's family and his wife?
3. Ramanujan kept extensive notes of his thinking. What was in Ramanujan's notebooks, and how much of his work was valuable, according to Kanigel?
4. What accolades did Ramanujan receive for his work?
5. What was Ramanujan's relationship with Cambridge after he left for India?
6. Where did Ramanujan go when he reached England?
7. What problem kept Ramanujan from coming to England, as Hardy hoped he would?
8. How much did Ramanujan's bride share in his mathematical life?
9. What was Ramanujan's response when Hardy asked him for proofs?
10. What did Ramanujan write to Hardy?
This section contains 701 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)