|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was Neville?
(a) The dean at the university where Ramanujan was doing his research.
(b) Ramanujan's Tutor.
(c) Ramanujan's ambassador to Hardy.
(d) Hardy's ambassador to Ramanujan.
2. When did Ramanujan die?
3. Who developed an exact solution to the question of partitions?
(d) Later mathematicians.
4. What did Hardy and Neville nominate Ramanujan to become?
(a) A dean at Oriel College.
(b) A teacher at King's College.
(c) A fellow at Trinity College.
(d) A graduate student at Trinity.
5. How does Kanigel describe John Littlewood?
(a) A consultant.
(b) A therapist.
(c) A math prodigy.
(d) A bureaucrat.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Kanigel say prevented Ramanujan from getting the care he needed?
2. What did Hardy decide after conferring with John Littlewood?
3. What value did Ramanujan work with at Cambridge?
4. How does Kanigel describe Ramanujan when he returned to India?
5. How was Ramanujan treated on his return?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Ramanujan's Master Theorem intended to do?
2. What was Ramanujan's response when Hardy asked him for proofs?
3. What was the conflict between Ramanujan's family and his wife?
4. What did Hardy do with Ramanujan's letter?
5. What did Ramanujan discover when P. C. Mahalanobis read him a puzzle one evening?
6. Ramanujan kept extensive notes of his thinking. What was in Ramanujan's notebooks, and how much of his work was valuable, according to Kanigel?
7. Describe the decline of Ramanujan's health.
8. What was Ramanujan's condition when he returned to India?
9. What accolades did Ramanujan receive for his work?
10. What cultural practices did Ramanujan hold on to from India?
This section contains 694 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)