|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What other Indian thinker does Kanigel compare Ramanujan's experience with?
(b) Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar.
(c) Anant Raje.
(d) Muhammad Ali Jinnah.
2. How did Ramanujan respond to Hardy's request for proofs?
(a) He dragged his feet about sending them.
(b) He sent them immediately.
(c) He would send them if Hardy would help him financially.
(d) He said he could not produce them.
3. How does Kanigel describe English society from Ramanujan's point-of-view?
4. What did Hardy and his friends arrange for Ramanujan?
(a) A teaching position.
(b) A research position.
(c) A sinecure.
(d) A bureaucratic appointment.
5. What obstacle stood in the way of Hardy's plan?
(a) Ramanujan's inability to get a passport.
(b) Ramanujan's poverty.
(c) Ramanujan's resistance to sea travel.
(d) Ramanujan's intractability.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was proved correct in Ramanujan's work from this time?
2. How does Kanigel describe Ramanujan's dress?
3. Based on his letter, what was Hardy trying to determine about Ramanujan?
4. Who was Leonard Euler?
5. What was the doctor's diagnosis of Ramanujan's illness?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where did Ramanujan go when he reached England?
2. What is a formalist in mathematical thinking?
3. Describe Ramanujan's trip to England.
4. What was Ramanujan's Master Theorem intended to do?
5. What was Ramanujan's relationship with Cambridge after he left for India?
6. What did Hardy do with Ramanujan's letter?
7. Describe Ramanujan and Hardy's work on partitions.
8. What was the conflict between Ramanujan's family and his wife?
9. How was Ramanujan treated on his return to India?
10. In what way was Ramanujan's experience of England similar to Ghandi's?
This section contains 683 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)