|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Littlewood and Hardy see as mathematically important?
(a) Ramanujan's use of irrational numbers.
(b) Ramanujan's nested square roots.
(c) Ramanujan's infinite series.
(d) Ramanujan's detailed proofs.
2. What practice does Kanigel say Ramanujan had difficulty adjusting to in England?
(a) Afternoon tea.
(b) English cooking.
(c) Wearing shoes.
(d) Speaking English.
3. What was proved incorrect in Ramanujan's work from this time?
(a) His theorems.
(b) His assumptions.
(c) His conclusions.
(d) His proofs.
4. How does Kanigel describe English society from Ramanujan's point-of-view?
5. What did Ramanujan say he was willing to do in order to come to England?
(a) Borrow money.
(b) Abandon his wife.
(c) Be cast out of his Brahmin class.
(d) Work for Hardy.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Kanigel say characterized Indian intellectuals' experience at Cambridge?
2. What was the result of Ramanujan clinging to his cultural practices?
3. Who met Ramanujan in England?
4. What was Ramanujan's intention when he returned home?
5. What conflict did Ramanujan return to?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Ramanujan and Hardy's work on partitions.
2. What was Ramanujan's interest in pi?
3. What was Ramanujan's relationship with Cambridge after he left for India?
4. What was Ramanujan's decline like, and death?
5. What was Ramanujan's Master Theorem intended to do?
6. In what way was Ramanujan's experience of England similar to Ghandi's?
7. Describe the decline of Ramanujan's health.
8. What problem kept Ramanujan from coming to England, as Hardy hoped he would?
9. What did Hardy do with Ramanujan's letter?
10. What is a formalist in mathematical thinking?
This section contains 662 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)