|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Kanigel say prevented Ramanujan from getting the care he needed?
(a) His family's poverty.
(b) The Great War.
(c) His distance from the cultural centers.
(d) The fight between his wife and mother.
2. What cultural practice did Ramanujan insist on, in Kanigel's account?
(a) Daily prayers.
(c) Animal sacrifice.
(d) Visiting Hindu shrines.
3. What did Ramanujan say he was willing to do in order to come to England?
(a) Borrow money.
(b) Work for Hardy.
(c) Be cast out of his Brahmin class.
(d) Abandon his wife.
4. What was the doctor's diagnosis of Ramanujan's illness?
(c) Heart disease.
5. What aspect of the English does Kanigel say affected Ramanujan?
(a) Intellectual rigor.
(d) Affected coldness.
Short Answer Questions
1. What other Indian thinker does Kanigel compare Ramanujan's experience with?
2. Who is NOT included in the list of people who have benefited from Ramanujan's work, in Kanigel's account?
3. What did NOT contribute to Ramanujan's discomfort during the sea voyage to England?
4. When did Ramanujan die?
5. Who developed an exact solution to the question of partitions?
Short Essay Questions
1. Ramanujan kept extensive notes of his thinking. What was in Ramanujan's notebooks, and how much of his work was valuable, according to Kanigel?
2. What is a formalist in mathematical thinking?
3. What has been the impact of Ramanujan's work?
4. What was Ramanujan's interest in pi?
5. Describe the decline of Ramanujan's health.
6. How was Ramanujan treated on his return to India?
7. Describe Ramanujan's trip to England.
8. Describe Ramanujan and Hardy's work on partitions.
9. How much did Ramanujan's bride share in his mathematical life?
10. What was the conflict between Ramanujan's family and his wife?
This section contains 660 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)