|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Ramanujan's Master Theorem attempt to do?
(a) Formulate number theory.
(b) Reduce infinite series to prime numbers.
(c) Solve Fermat's Last Theorem.
(d) Integrate finite integrals.
2. How does Kanigel describe Ramanujan as a mathematical thinker?
3. Who was Leonard Euler?
(a) A brilliant mathematician to whom Hardy compared Ramanujan.
(b) A teacher at Cambridge.
(c) Ramanujan's tutor.
(d) Hardy's protégé.
4. What cultural practice did Ramanujan insist on, in Kanigel's account?
(a) Visiting Hindu shrines.
(c) Animal sacrifice.
(d) Daily prayers.
5. What did Hardy try to arrange after receiving Ramanujan's letter?
(a) A meeting with Ramanujan.
(b) A scholarship for Ramanujan in India.
(c) A teaching position for Ramanujan.
(d) Ramanujan's passage to England.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Ramanujan petition Cambridge for?
2. What are partitions in math?
3. How does Kanigel describe John Littlewood?
4. How does Kanigel say Ramanujan passed his time on the ship?
5. Who met Ramanujan in England?
Short Essay Questions
1. What has been the impact of Ramanujan's work?
2. How was Ramanujan treated on his return to India?
3. What was Ramanujan's Master Theorem intended to do?
4. What accolades did Ramanujan receive for his work?
5. What was Ramanujan's decline like, and death?
6. What was Ramanujan's relationship with Cambridge after he left for India?
7. Describe Ramanujan and Hardy's work on partitions.
8. What was Ramanujan's condition when he returned to India?
9. What is a formalist in mathematical thinking?
10. What was the conflict between Ramanujan's family and his wife?
This section contains 639 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)