|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Based on his letter, what was Hardy trying to determine about Ramanujan?
(a) Where he was from.
(b) How he had devised his theories.
(c) Whether he was a crank.
(d) Who his teachers had been.
2. Who was absent from the dock when Ramanujan's ship came in?
(a) His friends.
(b) His father.
(c) His wife.
(d) His mother.
3. What was Ramanujan interested in in this value?
(a) Its infinite nature.
(b) The constant's practical value.
(c) The constant's irrationality.
(d) Underlying properties.
4. What was the result of Ramanujan clinging to his cultural practices?
(a) He taught English students how to cook Indian dishes.
(b) He generated fear and hostility in those around him.
(c) He remained an outsider.
(d) He brought Indian culture to English intellectuals.
5. Where did Ramanujan move to?
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Ramanujan's intention when he returned home?
2. When did Ramanujan die?
3. What did Hardy try to arrange after receiving Ramanujan's letter?
4. What did NOT contribute to Ramanujan's discomfort during the sea voyage to England?
5. With whom did Ramanujan eventually begin to develop a real relationship, according to Kanigel?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Ramanujan's relationship with Cambridge after he left for India?
2. What cultural practices did Ramanujan hold on to from India?
3. What was Ramanujan's interest in pi?
4. What has been the impact of Ramanujan's work?
5. What was Ramanujan's response when Hardy asked him for proofs?
6. What is a formalist in mathematical thinking?
7. How was Ramanujan treated on his return to India?
8. What was Ramanujan's condition when he returned to India?
9. What problem kept Ramanujan from coming to England, as Hardy hoped he would?
10. What did Ramanujan write to Hardy?
This section contains 660 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)