|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Kanigel say Ramanujan distrusted in English society?
(a) Public transportation.
(b) School cafeterias.
(c) Secret societies.
(d) High tea.
2. How does Kanigel say Ramanujan saw himself when he was returning to India?
(a) A demi-god.
(b) A complete failure.
(c) Not successful.
(d) A celebrity.
3. What does Kanigel say prevented Ramanujan from getting the care he needed?
(a) The Great War.
(b) His distance from the cultural centers.
(c) The fight between his wife and mother.
(d) His family's poverty.
4. What society was Ramanujan elected to?
(a) The Apostles.
(b) The Royal Society.
(c) The Academy of Sciences.
(d) Phi Beta Kappa.
5. How does Kanigel describe English society from Ramanujan's point-of-view?
Short Answer Questions
1. What did NOT contribute to Ramanujan's discomfort during the sea voyage to England?
2. What is the state of Ramanujan's work now?
3. What was it that offended Ramanujan when he invited some friends to dinner?
4. What did Ramanujan's Master Theorem attempt to do?
5. Who did Ramanujan stay with in England?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Ramanujan's Master Theorem intended to do?
2. Describe Ramanujan's trip to England.
3. How was Ramanujan treated on his return to India?
4. What was Ramanujan's response when Hardy asked him for proofs?
5. What problem kept Ramanujan from coming to England, as Hardy hoped he would?
6. What has been the impact of Ramanujan's work?
7. Where did Ramanujan go when he reached England?
8. In what way was Ramanujan's experience of England similar to Ghandi's?
9. What was Ramanujan's decline like, and death?
10. What problems did Ramanujan have on account of his Indian cultural practices?
This section contains 677 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)