|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Ramanujan contract from a mosquito-borne disease?
(a) A limp.
(b) Swelling in his scrotum.
(c) Partial deafness.
2. How old was the wife Ramanujan's parents found?
3. For how long would Ramanujan's condition persist?
(a) A few weeks.
(b) A few years.
(c) The rest of his life.
(d) A few months.
4. What contributed to Ramanujan's status as a potential husband?
(a) He was wealthy.
(b) He was monomaniacally interested in math.
(c) He was fat.
(d) He was handsome.
5. What happened to Ramanujan's scholarship?
(a) It was withdrawn.
(b) It was renewed for four years.
(c) It was jeopardized by Ramanujan's poor grades.
(d) It was expanded to his graduate study.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who were the Senior Wranglers?
2. How does Kanigel describe Ramanujan's early temperament?
3. What did Ramanujan need to do now that he was married?
4. How does Kanigel describe Hardy?
5. What was Ramanujan's college's nickname?
Short Essay Questions
1. What cultural practices did Ramanujan hold on to from India?
2. What work did Ramanujan eventually find?
3. What was Hardy's experience at Winchester?
4. How did marriage change Ramanujan's life?
5. How did Ramanujan go about looking for work?
6. What was the Bloomsbury Group?
7. What was the subject of the challenge Ramanujan set and then resolved in his first paper?
8. How did Hardy explain the value of math to his family?
9. What was Ramanujan's response when Hardy asked him for proofs?
10. What does 'A Synopsis of Elementary Results in Pure and Applied Mathematics' consist of?
This section contains 611 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)