|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Kanigel say Ramanujan did at age 17?
(a) Ran away from home.
(b) Graduated college.
(c) Got married.
(d) Graduated high school.
2. What energy does Kanigel say Ramanujan redirected into mathematics?
(a) Sexual desire.
(c) Political restlessness.
(d) Religious devotion.
3. Who was N. Ramanujachariar?
(a) Ramanujan's trainer.
(b) Ramanujan's roommate.
(c) Ramanujan's rival.
(d) Ramanujan's math teacher.
4. What is the British term for what Americans call private high schools?
(a) Technical school.
(b) Public school.
(c) Private school.
(d) Finishing school.
5. Where was Ramanujan's college located?
(c) A small town.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Ramanujan's caste?
2. What happened to Ramanujan's scholarship?
3. What does Kanigel say about Ramanujan's marriage?
4. What did Hardy dislike about his secondary education?
5. Who are the Apostles?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who were the Apostles?
2. What is Shiva the god of?
3. What was Hardy's experience at Trinity College, Cambridge?
4. How did Hardy explain the value of math to his family?
5. How was Ramanujan's health as a child?
6. What practices did Ramanujan follow as a result of his religion?
7. Why did Ramanujan's parents have a hard time finding a wife for him?
8. What gods did Ramanujan's family worship?
9. Describe Ramanujan's experience at Pachaiyappas College in Madras.
10. How did Ramanujan's temperament reveal itself when he was a child?
This section contains 586 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)