|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Ramanujan's parents find a wife for him?
(b) An orphanage.
(c) A nearby village.
(d) Uttar Pradesh.
2. Who was G. H. Hardy?
(a) Ramanujan's father-in-law.
(b) Ramanujan's boss.
(c) The mathematician who helped Ramanujan.
(d) Ramanujan's Colorado-author.
3. When does Kanigel say Ramanujan got hold of 'A Synopsis of Elementary Results in Pure and Applied Mathematics'?
(a) At 19.
(b) At 16.
(c) At 10.
(d) At 13.
4. What did Ramanujan do while he waited for his wife?
(a) Take a job in Madras.
(b) Travel through Asia.
(c) Live with his parents.
(d) Travel South India.
5. How does Kanigel describe Ramanujan as a potential husband?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who were the Senior Wranglers?
2. Which person was NOT in the Bloomsbury Group?
3. Where had the author of 'A Synopsis of Elementary Results in Pure and Applied Mathematics' taught?
4. What is a nested square root?
5. What was uncommon about Ramanujan's physique?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the difference between English mathematics and Continental mathematics.
2. What was Hardy's experience at Winchester?
3. Who were the Apostles?
4. What was Hardy's experience at Trinity College, Cambridge?
5. What gods did Ramanujan's family worship?
6. What was the subject of the challenge Ramanujan set and then resolved in his first paper?
7. What happened after Ramanujan left Kumbakonam's Government College?
8. What work did Ramanujan eventually find?
9. What led to Ramanujan getting married?
10. Describe Ramanujan's experience at Pachaiyappas College in Madras.
This section contains 647 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)