|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Namagiri?
(a) Shiva's consort.
(b) Ramanujan's family's traditional deity.
(c) Ramanujan's chess teacher.
(d) Ramanujan's religious teacher.
2. Why did Ramanujan leave school?
(a) He completed the coursework.
(b) He got sick.
(c) His family could not afford it without the scholarship.
(d) He was expelled.
3. What happened to Ramanujan's scholarship?
(a) It was withdrawn.
(b) It was jeopardized by Ramanujan's poor grades.
(c) It was expanded to his graduate study.
(d) It was renewed for four years.
4. What was G. H. Hardy's status in Britain?
(a) Religious leader.
(b) Head of a secret society in London.
(c) Dean of Cambridge.
(d) Preeminent mathematician.
5. How does Kanigel describe the seriousness of Ramanujan's condition?
(c) Not life-threatening but uncomfortable.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Kanigel say Ramanujan disliked as a child?
2. What does Kanigel say 'A Synopsis of Elementary Results in Pure and Applied Mathematics' is lacking?
3. What language did Ramanujan speak?
4. When was Ramanujan born?
5. What does Kanigel say about Ramanujan's marriage?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Ramanujan's place of birth.
2. What happened after Ramanujan left Pachaiyappas College?
3. What was the Bloomsbury Group?
4. How was Ramanujan's first paper received?
5. How did Ramanujan's interest change as he grew up?
6. How did Hardy explain the value of math to his family?
7. How did marriage change Ramanujan's life?
8. How did Ramanujan go about looking for work?
9. How did Ramanujan's temperament reveal itself when he was a child?
10. What is Shiva the god of?
This section contains 599 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)