|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did families NOT look for wives for their sons in India in Ramanujan's time?
(a) Extended family.
(c) Prominent villagers.
(d) Friends of the family.
2. Who wrote 'A Synopsis of Elementary Results in Pure and Applied Mathematics'?
(a) William George Horner.
(b) Enrico Betti.
(c) Frank Nelson Cole.
(d) George Carr.
3. How does Kanigel describe the seriousness of Ramanujan's condition?
(c) Not life-threatening but uncomfortable.
4. What happened to Ramanujan's scholarship?
(a) It was expanded to his graduate study.
(b) It was jeopardized by Ramanujan's poor grades.
(c) It was withdrawn.
(d) It was renewed for four years.
5. Which person was NOT in the Bloomsbury Group?
(a) G.E. Moore.
(b) John Maynard Keynes.
(c) James Joyce.
(d) Virginia Woolf.
Short Answer Questions
1. What class was Ramanujan raised in?
2. Why was Ramanujan's scholarship changed?
3. What was Ramanujan's family's status?
4. How does Kanigel say Ramanujan would solve math problems?
5. Who are the Apostles?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Ramanujan go about looking for work?
2. What was Hardy's experience at Winchester?
3. Who were the Apostles?
4. What was the conflict between Ramanujan's family and his wife?
5. How was Ramanujan treated on his return to India?
6. What was Ramanujan's Master Theorem intended to do?
7. When did Hardy find out about Ramanujan's death?
8. Describe the importance of 'A Synopsis of Elementary Results in Pure and Applied Mathematics' in Ramanujan's life.
9. What was Ramanujan's relationship with Cambridge after he left for India?
10. What led to Ramanujan getting married?
This section contains 636 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)