|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where was Ramanujan's college located?
(d) A small town.
2. What is the British term for what Americans call private high schools?
(a) Public school.
(b) Finishing school.
(c) Technical school.
(d) Private school.
3. What energy does Kanigel say Ramanujan redirected into mathematics?
(a) Political restlessness.
(b) Religious devotion.
(c) Sexual desire.
4. What does Kanigel say 'A Synopsis of Elementary Results in Pure and Applied Mathematics' is lacking?
(d) An answer key.
5. What distinguished Ramanujan's class?
(b) Hand work.
(c) Learning and religion.
(d) The trades.
Short Answer Questions
1. What were Ramanujan's parents getting impatient with?
2. What interrupted Ramanujan's wedding?
3. What was Hardy's experience of secondary education like, according to Kanigel?
4. How does Kanigel characterize Ramanujan's developing approach to math?
5. What was Ramanujan's college's nickname?
Short Essay Questions
1. How was Ramanujan's first paper received?
2. Describe the difference between English mathematics and Continental mathematics.
3. Describe Ramanujan's place of birth.
4. What practices did Ramanujan follow as a result of his religion?
5. How did Ramanujan distinguish himself as a math student?
6. How did Ramanujan go about looking for work?
7. Who were the Apostles?
8. What was the subject of the challenge Ramanujan set and then resolved in his first paper?
9. What happened after Ramanujan left Pachaiyappas College?
10. How did Ramanujan's interest change as he grew up?
This section contains 589 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)