|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the effect of Ramanujan's childhood smallpox?
(a) A limp.
(c) Spinal deformity.
(d) Partial deafness.
2. Why was Ramanujan late for his wedding?
(a) He ran away and had to be caught.
(b) His train was held up.
(c) His parents had to argue him into getting married.
(d) He became sick.
3. How does Kanigel describe Ramanujan as a potential husband?
4. How does Kanigel characterize Ramanujan's developing approach to math?
5. What makes 'A Synopsis of Elementary Results in Pure and Applied Mathematics' notable, according to Kanigel?
(a) The theorems do not have examples.
(b) The problems do not have solutions.
(c) There is no explanation to the problems.
(d) The dissertation does not have a conclusion.
Short Answer Questions
1. What distinguished Ramanujan's class?
2. When was Ramanujan born?
3. How does Kanigel characterize Ramanujan's solutions to the math problems in 'A Synopsis of Elementary Results in Pure and Applied Mathematics'?
4. What were Ramanujan's parents getting impatient with?
5. How does Kanigel characterize Ramanujan's tutoring?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Ramanujan's place of birth.
2. How did Hardy explain the value of math to his family?
3. Describe Ramanujan's experience at Pachaiyappas College in Madras.
4. What gods did Ramanujan's family worship?
5. What happened after Ramanujan left Kumbakonam's Government College?
6. How did Ramanujan's temperament reveal itself when he was a child?
7. How did Ramanujan distinguish himself as a math student?
8. What problems in Ramanujan's thinking came from his use of 'A Synopsis of Elementary Results in Pure and Applied Mathematics'?
9. What led to Ramanujan getting married?
10. Describe the importance of 'A Synopsis of Elementary Results in Pure and Applied Mathematics' in Ramanujan's life.
This section contains 639 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)