|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Kanigel say Hardy saw himself, first and foremost?
(a) As a religious leader.
(b) As a mathematician.
(c) As an artist.
(d) As a prophet.
2. What does Kanigel say Ramanujan did at age 17?
(a) Ran away from home.
(b) Got married.
(c) Graduated college.
(d) Graduated high school.
3. How does Kanigel characterize Ramanujan's tutoring?
4. When was Ramanujan born?
5. Why was Ramanujan's scholarship changed?
(a) Because of his rowdy behavior.
(b) Because he neglected his studies aside from math.
(c) Because of his progress in all his fields.
(d) Because of his womanizing.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where had the author of 'A Synopsis of Elementary Results in Pure and Applied Mathematics' taught?
2. What did Ramanujan attend at Pachaiyappas College?
3. Where did Ramanujan's parents find a wife for him?
4. What contributed to Ramanujan's status as a potential husband?
5. How does Kanigel describe Ramanujan's youth?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Ramanujan's temperament reveal itself when he was a child?
2. How did marriage change Ramanujan's life?
3. How did Ramanujan's interest change as he grew up?
4. How did Hardy explain the value of math to his family?
5. What was the Bloomsbury Group?
6. What was the subject of the challenge Ramanujan set and then resolved in his first paper?
7. Describe Ramanujan's experience at Pachaiyappas College in Madras.
8. How was Ramanujan's first paper received?
9. What is Shiva the god of?
10. How did Ramanujan go about looking for work?
This section contains 566 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)