|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When did the Tripos take place?
(a) After a student's first year.
(b) After a student's third year.
(c) After a student's second year.
(d) After a student's last year.
2. What does Kanigel say 'A Synopsis of Elementary Results in Pure and Applied Mathematics' is lacking?
(c) An answer key.
3. Which person was NOT in the Bloomsbury Group?
(a) G.E. Moore.
(b) Virginia Woolf.
(c) James Joyce.
(d) John Maynard Keynes.
4. When did Ramanujan publish his first journal article?
5. How does Kanigel describe the seriousness of Ramanujan's condition?
(b) Not life-threatening but uncomfortable.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Ramanujan's parents do in response to their impatience?
2. When was Ramanujan born?
3. What was Ramanujan's college's nickname?
4. Who was Komalatammal?
5. Where did Hardy attend college?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the importance of 'A Synopsis of Elementary Results in Pure and Applied Mathematics' in Ramanujan's life.
2. What problems in Ramanujan's thinking came from his use of 'A Synopsis of Elementary Results in Pure and Applied Mathematics'?
3. What was the subject of the challenge Ramanujan set and then resolved in his first paper?
4. What practices did Ramanujan follow as a result of his religion?
5. Describe Ramanujan's place of birth.
6. Describe Ramanujan's experience at Kumbakonam's Government College.
7. How did Hardy explain the value of math to his family?
8. How was it that Ramanujan would solve math problems without seeing the logic that dictated the development and solutions to problems?
9. Describe Ramanujan's wedding ceremony.
10. How was Ramanujan's health as a child?
This section contains 599 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)