|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What distinguished Ramanujan's class?
(a) The trades.
(c) Hand work.
(d) Learning and religion.
2. Who comprised the Apostles?
(c) Religious leaders.
(d) Practicing artists.
3. What does Kanigel say 'A Synopsis of Elementary Results in Pure and Applied Mathematics' is lacking?
(a) An answer key.
4. How does Kanigel describe education at Hardy's college?
(a) Students took a ferocious load of classes.
(b) Students followed their own inclination in study.
(c) Students worked together to make presentations to tutors.
(d) Students worked with tutors instead of taking classes.
5. Where did Ramanujan eventually find work?
(a) His college.
(b) He worked for his patron.
(c) The British Indian Civil Service.
(d) A high school.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was Ramanujan's scholarship changed?
2. How old was the wife Ramanujan's parents found?
3. What does Kanigel say Ramanujan disliked as a child?
4. What did Ramanujan attend at Pachaiyappas College?
5. When did Ramanujan win a scholarship for his math skills?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened after Ramanujan left Kumbakonam's Government College?
2. How was Ramanujan's health as a child?
3. What was the subject of the challenge Ramanujan set and then resolved in his first paper?
4. Why did Ramanujan's parents have a hard time finding a wife for him?
5. What was Hardy's experience at Trinity College, Cambridge?
6. How was it that Ramanujan would solve math problems without seeing the logic that dictated the development and solutions to problems?
7. How did marriage change Ramanujan's life?
8. Describe Ramanujan's experience at Kumbakonam's Government College.
9. How did Ramanujan's interest change as he grew up?
10. How did Ramanujan distinguish himself as a math student?
This section contains 609 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)