|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Hardy get his secondary education?
(d) St. Alban's.
2. What does Kanigel say people appreciated about Hardy?
(a) His irreverent sense of humor.
(b) His youthful beauty.
(c) His long lineage.
(d) His wealth and taste.
3. Who is Namagiri?
(a) Ramanujan's chess teacher.
(b) Shiva's consort.
(c) Ramanujan's family's traditional deity.
(d) Ramanujan's religious teacher.
4. Which person was NOT in the Bloomsbury Group?
(a) G.E. Moore.
(b) James Joyce.
(c) Virginia Woolf.
(d) John Maynard Keynes.
5. What did Ramanujan contract from a mosquito-borne disease?
(a) Partial deafness.
(b) Swelling in his scrotum.
(d) A limp.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did graduates from Hardy's secondary school typically go to college?
2. Why did Ramanujan leave school?
3. What did Hardy dislike about his secondary education?
4. For how long would Ramanujan's condition persist?
5. How does Kanigel describe the seriousness of Ramanujan's condition?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Ramanujan's temperament reveal itself when he was a child?
2. Describe the difference between English mathematics and Continental mathematics.
3. Describe Ramanujan's experience at Pachaiyappas College in Madras.
4. What work did Ramanujan eventually find?
5. What happened after Ramanujan left Pachaiyappas College?
6. What does 'A Synopsis of Elementary Results in Pure and Applied Mathematics' consist of?
7. How did Hardy explain the value of math to his family?
8. What was the subject of the challenge Ramanujan set and then resolved in his first paper?
9. Describe the importance of 'A Synopsis of Elementary Results in Pure and Applied Mathematics' in Ramanujan's life.
10. Why did Ramanujan's parents have a hard time finding a wife for him?
This section contains 629 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)