|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When would Ramanujan and his wife consummate their marriage?
(a) As soon as she was chosen.
(b) Never--they were pledged to be chaste.
(c) It would depend on Ramanujan's career.
(d) When she was older.
2. What class was Ramanujan raised in?
(a) Maharashtra Brahmin.
(b) Pancha-Dravida Brahmin.
(c) Shaivite Brahmin.
(d) Pancha-Gauda Brahmin.
3. What did Ramanujan's parents do in response to their impatience?
(a) Apprentice him to a designer.
(b) Send him to school.
(c) Buy him a bureaucratic appointment.
(d) Marry him off.
4. How does Kanigel describe education at Hardy's college?
(a) Students worked with tutors instead of taking classes.
(b) Students took a ferocious load of classes.
(c) Students worked together to make presentations to tutors.
(d) Students followed their own inclination in study.
5. Where did Ramanujan eventually find work?
(a) His college.
(b) A high school.
(c) He worked for his patron.
(d) The British Indian Civil Service.
Short Answer Questions
1. What language did Ramanujan speak?
2. Who are the Apostles?
3. How does Kanigel describe life in Ramanujan's hometown?
4. How does Kanigel describe Hardy?
5. How does Kanigel characterize Ramanujan's solutions to the math problems in 'A Synopsis of Elementary Results in Pure and Applied Mathematics'?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Hardy's experience at Winchester?
2. What gods did Ramanujan's family worship?
3. What was Ramanujan's Master Theorem intended to do?
4. What does 'A Synopsis of Elementary Results in Pure and Applied Mathematics' consist of?
5. What was the subject of the challenge Ramanujan set and then resolved in his first paper?
6. What accolades did Ramanujan receive for his work?
7. Describe Ramanujan's experience at Pachaiyappas College in Madras.
8. What led to Ramanujan getting married?
9. Where did Hardy go from Oxford?
10. How much did Ramanujan's bride share in his mathematical life?
This section contains 629 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)