|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why was Ramanujan late for his wedding?
(a) His train was held up.
(b) His parents had to argue him into getting married.
(c) He became sick.
(d) He ran away and had to be caught.
2. What was Hardy's experience of secondary education like, according to Kanigel?
(a) It transformed him into an upstanding citizen.
(b) He passed through without distinction.
(c) He hated it.
(d) He loved it.
3. Why did Ramanujan leave school?
(a) He got sick.
(b) His family could not afford it without the scholarship.
(c) He completed the coursework.
(d) He was expelled.
4. What did parents see when they looked at Ramanujan as a prospective husband?
(a) A well-connected man.
(b) An unemployed man.
(c) A genius.
(d) A criminal.
5. What did Ramanujan practice as part of his religion?
(b) A year as a monk.
(c) Community service.
(d) Animal sacrifice.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Hardy dislike about his secondary education?
2. Where did Ramanujan eventually find work?
3. What is 'A Synopsis of Elementary Results in Pure and Applied Mathematics' composed of?
4. What was the effect of Ramanujan's childhood smallpox?
5. What does Kanigel say Ramanujan learned from an old book?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Ramanujan go about looking for work?
2. How was it that Ramanujan would solve math problems without seeing the logic that dictated the development and solutions to problems?
3. What problems in Ramanujan's thinking came from his use of 'A Synopsis of Elementary Results in Pure and Applied Mathematics'?
4. What was the Bloomsbury Group?
5. What happened after Ramanujan left Kumbakonam's Government College?
6. What work did Ramanujan eventually find?
7. What was Hardy's experience at Trinity College, Cambridge?
8. What gods did Ramanujan's family worship?
9. Describe Ramanujan's place of birth.
10. How was Ramanujan's health as a child?
This section contains 660 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)