|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Ramanujan's college's nickname?
(a) Cambridge of South India.
(b) Harvard of South India.
(c) The Bollytechnicum.
(d) Oxford of South India.
2. Where did Hardy get his secondary education?
(d) St. Alban's.
3. Where did Hardy attend college?
4. Who was N. Ramanujachariar?
(a) Ramanujan's rival.
(b) Ramanujan's roommate.
(c) Ramanujan's math teacher.
(d) Ramanujan's trainer.
5. How does Kanigel say Hardy saw himself, first and foremost?
(a) As an artist.
(b) As a prophet.
(c) As a mathematician.
(d) As a religious leader.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is 'A Synopsis of Elementary Results in Pure and Applied Mathematics' composed of?
2. What distinguished Ramanujan's class?
3. What does Kanigel say 'A Synopsis of Elementary Results in Pure and Applied Mathematics' is lacking?
4. When did Ramanujan begin to speak?
5. What contributed to Ramanujan's status as a potential husband?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the difference between English mathematics and Continental mathematics.
2. How was Ramanujan's first paper received?
3. Describe Ramanujan's place of birth.
4. How was Ramanujan's health as a child?
5. How was it that Ramanujan would solve math problems without seeing the logic that dictated the development and solutions to problems?
6. What does 'A Synopsis of Elementary Results in Pure and Applied Mathematics' consist of?
7. What gods did Ramanujan's family worship?
8. What was Hardy's experience at Trinity College, Cambridge?
9. What was Hardy's experience at Winchester?
10. What work did Ramanujan eventually find?
This section contains 615 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)