|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is 'A Synopsis of Elementary Results in Pure and Applied Mathematics' composed of?
(a) Tutoring notes.
(b) A doctoral dissertation.
(c) Math problems.
(d) A lifetime's work.
2. What did parents see when they looked at Ramanujan as a prospective husband?
(a) A criminal.
(b) A well-connected man.
(c) A genius.
(d) An unemployed man.
3. What was the significance of Erode in Ramanujan's family?
(a) Where Ramanujan was buried.
(b) Ramanujan's hometown.
(c) Where Ramanujan went to school.
(d) Ramanujan's mother's ancestral home.
4. What does Kanigel say Ramanujan did at age 17?
(a) Graduated high school.
(b) Ran away from home.
(c) Graduated college.
(d) Got married.
5. Where did Ramanujan go when he was 17?
(c) Uttar Pradesh.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was Ramanujan's college located?
2. What does Kanigel say Ramanujan disliked as a child?
3. What did Ramanujan contract from a mosquito-borne disease?
4. When did Ramanujan win a scholarship for his math skills?
5. What contributed to Ramanujan's status as a potential husband?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the subject of the challenge Ramanujan set and then resolved in his first paper?
2. What led to Ramanujan getting married?
3. How did marriage change Ramanujan's life?
4. How did Ramanujan distinguish himself as a math student?
5. Describe the difference between English mathematics and Continental mathematics.
6. How did Ramanujan's temperament reveal itself when he was a child?
7. What happened after Ramanujan left Kumbakonam's Government College?
8. Describe Ramanujan's experience at Kumbakonam's Government College.
9. Describe the importance of 'A Synopsis of Elementary Results in Pure and Applied Mathematics' in Ramanujan's life.
10. What gods did Ramanujan's family worship?
This section contains 586 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)