|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Hardy's experience of secondary education like, according to Kanigel?
(a) He passed through without distinction.
(b) He loved it.
(c) He hated it.
(d) It transformed him into an upstanding citizen.
2. For how long would Ramanujan's condition persist?
(a) A few years.
(b) The rest of his life.
(c) A few weeks.
(d) A few months.
3. What does Kanigel say Ramanujan disliked as a child?
(a) His family.
(b) Other children.
4. How does Kanigel say Hardy saw himself, first and foremost?
(a) As an artist.
(b) As a prophet.
(c) As a religious leader.
(d) As a mathematician.
5. What does Kanigel say about Ramanujan's marriage?
(a) It had all the ingredients for a lovely match.
(b) It was seen as fortuitous.
(c) Both parties resisted it.
(d) There were omens of disaster.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Kanigel say people appreciated about Hardy?
2. Why did Ramanujan leave school?
3. Why did Hardy need to excel on the entrance exams for secondary education?
4. How does Kanigel characterize Ramanujan's first paper?
5. Where did Ramanujan's parents find a wife for him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the Bloomsbury Group?
2. Describe Ramanujan's experience at Kumbakonam's Government College.
3. How did Hardy explain the value of math to his family?
4. What was the subject of the challenge Ramanujan set and then resolved in his first paper?
5. How was it that Ramanujan would solve math problems without seeing the logic that dictated the development and solutions to problems?
6. What happened after Ramanujan left Kumbakonam's Government College?
7. What problems in Ramanujan's thinking came from his use of 'A Synopsis of Elementary Results in Pure and Applied Mathematics'?
8. How did Ramanujan's interest change as he grew up?
9. What work did Ramanujan eventually find?
10. Who were the Apostles?
This section contains 638 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)