|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which god was Ramanujan's family devoted to?
2. Where was Ramanujan born?
(d) Uttar Pradesh.
3. Who was N. Ramanujachariar?
(a) Ramanujan's trainer.
(b) Ramanujan's rival.
(c) Ramanujan's roommate.
(d) Ramanujan's math teacher.
4. What did Ramanujan need to do now that he was married?
(a) Make money.
(b) Contribute to his in-laws' income.
(c) Have children.
(d) Buy a house.
5. How does Kanigel describe education at Hardy's college?
(a) Students worked with tutors instead of taking classes.
(b) Students took a ferocious load of classes.
(c) Students followed their own inclination in study.
(d) Students worked together to make presentations to tutors.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did families NOT look for wives for their sons in India in Ramanujan's time?
2. What class was Ramanujan raised in?
3. Why did Hardy need to excel on the entrance exams for secondary education?
4. Where did Ramanujan go when he was 17?
5. What did Ramanujan practice as part of his religion?
Short Essay Questions
1. How was it that Ramanujan would solve math problems without seeing the logic that dictated the development and solutions to problems?
2. What does 'A Synopsis of Elementary Results in Pure and Applied Mathematics' consist of?
3. How did Ramanujan go about looking for work?
4. What is Shiva the god of?
5. How did marriage change Ramanujan's life?
6. Describe the importance of 'A Synopsis of Elementary Results in Pure and Applied Mathematics' in Ramanujan's life.
7. Describe Ramanujan's experience at Pachaiyappas College in Madras.
8. What was Hardy's experience at Winchester?
9. What led to Ramanujan getting married?
10. Why did Ramanujan's parents have a hard time finding a wife for him?
This section contains 633 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)