|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Kanigel say Ramanujan would solve math problems?
(a) By solving one part at a time.
(b) By turning values into variables.
(c) He would intuit the solution.
(d) By adding numbers to formulas.
2. When was Ramanujan born?
3. How does Kanigel say Hardy saw himself, first and foremost?
(a) As a religious leader.
(b) As a mathematician.
(c) As a prophet.
(d) As an artist.
4. What were the Tripos?
(a) Written exams.
(b) A secret society.
(c) Physical evaluations.
(d) Oral exams.
5. Who is Namagiri?
(a) Ramanujan's religious teacher.
(b) Ramanujan's family's traditional deity.
(c) Ramanujan's chess teacher.
(d) Shiva's consort.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who are the Apostles?
2. What was Hardy's experience of secondary education like, according to Kanigel?
3. What did parents see when they looked at Ramanujan as a prospective husband?
4. When did Ramanujan publish his first journal article?
5. What does Kanigel say Ramanujan learned from an old book?
Short Essay Questions
1. What practices did Ramanujan follow as a result of his religion?
2. How did Ramanujan's temperament reveal itself when he was a child?
3. What happened after Ramanujan left Kumbakonam's Government College?
4. What was the Bloomsbury Group?
5. How was Ramanujan's first paper received?
6. How did Ramanujan's interest change as he grew up?
7. How did Ramanujan go about looking for work?
8. What is Shiva the god of?
9. How was it that Ramanujan would solve math problems without seeing the logic that dictated the development and solutions to problems?
10. Describe Ramanujan's wedding ceremony.
This section contains 574 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)