|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What class was Ramanujan raised in?
(a) Maharashtra Brahmin.
(b) Pancha-Gauda Brahmin.
(c) Pancha-Dravida Brahmin.
(d) Shaivite Brahmin.
2. How does Kanigel describe Ramanujan's early temperament?
3. What was Ramanujan's college's nickname?
(a) Harvard of South India.
(b) Cambridge of South India.
(c) The Bollytechnicum.
(d) Oxford of South India.
4. What did Ramanujan practice as part of his religion?
(a) Community service.
(b) A year as a monk.
(d) Animal sacrifice.
5. What interrupted Ramanujan's wedding?
(a) Objections from the girl's family.
(b) A deranged woman.
(c) Drunken relatives.
(d) A fight.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did the Tripos take place?
2. What did Ramanujan need to do now that he was married?
3. Who was N. Ramanujachariar?
4. What did Ramanujan use as evidence of his credentials in interviews?
5. Where did Ramanujan eventually find work?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the subject of the challenge Ramanujan set and then resolved in his first paper?
2. What gods did Ramanujan's family worship?
3. How did Hardy explain the value of math to his family?
4. What practices did Ramanujan follow as a result of his religion?
5. Describe Ramanujan's experience at Kumbakonam's Government College.
6. How did marriage change Ramanujan's life?
7. What is Shiva the god of?
8. What problems in Ramanujan's thinking came from his use of 'A Synopsis of Elementary Results in Pure and Applied Mathematics'?
9. Describe Ramanujan's wedding ceremony.
10. What happened after Ramanujan left Pachaiyappas College?
This section contains 583 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)