|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When did Ramanujan win a scholarship for his math skills?
(a) After college.
(b) After middle school.
(c) After high school.
(d) During high school.
2. What did Ramanujan need to do now that he was married?
(a) Buy a house.
(b) Contribute to his in-laws' income.
(c) Have children.
(d) Make money.
3. What is a nested square root?
(a) A series of square roots of square roots.
(b) An infinite series of square roots.
(c) A series of square roots that resolve to prime numbers.
(d) The framework of assumptions within which a series of square roots resolves to a negative number.
4. How long after the wedding would it take before Janaki joined Ramanujan?
(a) Five years.
(b) Three years.
(c) Seven years.
(d) Nine years.
5. How does Kanigel describe education at Hardy's college?
(a) Students worked together to make presentations to tutors.
(b) Students followed their own inclination in study.
(c) Students took a ferocious load of classes.
(d) Students worked with tutors instead of taking classes.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Kanigel say Ramanujan disliked as a child?
2. How does Kanigel describe Ramanujan as a potential husband?
3. Where was Ramanujan born?
4. How does Kanigel describe Ramanujan's youth?
5. When did Ramanujan begin to speak?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened after Ramanujan left Pachaiyappas College?
2. Who were the Apostles?
3. How was Ramanujan's health as a child?
4. How was it that Ramanujan would solve math problems without seeing the logic that dictated the development and solutions to problems?
5. What was the subject of the challenge Ramanujan set and then resolved in his first paper?
6. What practices did Ramanujan follow as a result of his religion?
7. Why did Ramanujan's parents have a hard time finding a wife for him?
8. Describe Ramanujan's place of birth.
9. How did marriage change Ramanujan's life?
10. What problems in Ramanujan's thinking came from his use of 'A Synopsis of Elementary Results in Pure and Applied Mathematics'?
This section contains 651 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)