|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the effect of Ramanujan's childhood smallpox?
(a) Partial deafness.
(c) Spinal deformity.
(d) A limp.
2. Where had the author of 'A Synopsis of Elementary Results in Pure and Applied Mathematics' taught?
3. Who is Namagiri?
(a) Ramanujan's family's traditional deity.
(b) Ramanujan's religious teacher.
(c) Ramanujan's chess teacher.
(d) Shiva's consort.
4. Who was G. H. Hardy?
(a) Ramanujan's father-in-law.
(b) The mathematician who helped Ramanujan.
(c) Ramanujan's Colorado-author.
(d) Ramanujan's boss.
5. What did Hardy dislike about his secondary education?
(a) Emphasis on grades.
(c) Rigid discipline.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Kanigel say people appreciated about Hardy?
2. What is a nested square root?
3. Where did Ramanujan go when he was 17?
4. Where did graduates from Hardy's secondary school typically go to college?
5. When did the Tripos take place?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Ramanujan's experience at Pachaiyappas College in Madras.
2. Describe Ramanujan's place of birth.
3. What gods did Ramanujan's family worship?
4. Describe the importance of 'A Synopsis of Elementary Results in Pure and Applied Mathematics' in Ramanujan's life.
5. What is Shiva the god of?
6. What work did Ramanujan eventually find?
7. What led to Ramanujan getting married?
8. What happened after Ramanujan left Kumbakonam's Government College?
9. What problems in Ramanujan's thinking came from his use of 'A Synopsis of Elementary Results in Pure and Applied Mathematics'?
10. Describe Ramanujan's experience at Kumbakonam's Government College.
This section contains 608 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)