|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What energy does Kanigel say Ramanujan redirected into mathematics?
(a) Religious devotion.
(b) Political restlessness.
(c) Sexual desire.
2. Who were the Senior Wranglers?
(a) Academic celebrities.
(b) Students who played rugby or soccer/football.
(c) Students whose parents could not afford school on their own.
(d) Students who struggled.
3. What were the Tripos?
(a) Oral exams.
(b) A secret society.
(c) Physical evaluations.
(d) Written exams.
4. Where did graduates from Hardy's secondary school typically go to college?
(b) University College.
(c) New College.
5. How does Kanigel describe the skills Ramanujan got from 'A Synopsis of Elementary Results in Pure and Applied Mathematics'?
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Ramanujan contract from a mosquito-borne disease?
2. What was Hardy's experience of secondary education like, according to Kanigel?
3. Where did families NOT look for wives for their sons in India in Ramanujan's time?
4. Who comprised the Apostles?
5. What did Hardy dislike about his secondary education?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Hardy's experience at Trinity College, Cambridge?
2. How was it that Ramanujan would solve math problems without seeing the logic that dictated the development and solutions to problems?
3. Describe Ramanujan's place of birth.
4. Describe Ramanujan's wedding ceremony.
5. What was Hardy's experience at Winchester?
6. What work did Ramanujan eventually find?
7. What is Shiva the god of?
8. How did Ramanujan's interest change as he grew up?
9. Why did Ramanujan's parents have a hard time finding a wife for him?
10. How was Ramanujan's first paper received?
This section contains 622 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)