|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who did Ramanujan stay with in England?
(a) John Littlewood.
2. How does Kanigel describe Ramanujan's relationship with his wife?
(b) Almost non-existent.
3. Where did Ramanujan move to?
4. What did the divergent series 1+2+3+4+5... add up to in Ramanujan's notebooks?
5. What is the state of Ramanujan's work now?
(a) Not completely collected.
(b) Completely published and evaluated.
(d) Not completely published.
6. How does Kanigel describe Ramanujan as a mathematical thinker?
7. What was the doctor's prescription for Ramanujan's condition?
(a) Rest and care.
(d) Physical activity.
8. What did Hardy and his friends arrange for Ramanujan?
(a) A teaching position.
(b) A bureaucratic appointment.
(c) A sinecure.
(d) A research position.
9. How much of Ramanujan's work did Hardy believe was sound and original?
(a) Almost all of it.
(b) One to two thirds.
(c) Half to three quarters.
(d) Five to ten percent.
10. What did Ramanujan and Hardy develop for working with partitions?
(a) A refinement of Euler's suggestion.
(b) The circle method.
(c) A precise method for determining partitions for prime numbers.
(d) Nested square roots.
11. What was the doctor's diagnosis of Ramanujan's illness?
(d) Heart disease.
12. What did Ramanujan petition Cambridge for?
(a) An assistant.
(c) A stipend.
(d) The right to return.
13. What aspect of the English does Kanigel say affected Ramanujan?
(a) Affected coldness.
(d) Intellectual rigor.
14. How do people account for Ramanujan's self-assessment?
(a) Ramanujan's naïveté.
(b) Ramanujan's arrogance.
(c) Hardy's coldness.
15. What society was Ramanujan elected to?
(a) The Royal Society.
(b) The Academy of Sciences.
(c) The Apostles.
(d) Phi Beta Kappa.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who met Ramanujan in England?
2. What was Ramanujan's intention when he returned home?
3. When did Ramanujan write to Hardy?
4. In his letter to Hardy, what was the importance of the thing Ramanujan claimed to have discovered?
5. What other Indian thinker does Kanigel compare Ramanujan's experience with?
This section contains 363 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)