|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who met Ramanujan in England?
(a) John Littlewood.
2. What did Hardy try to arrange after receiving Ramanujan's letter?
(a) A scholarship for Ramanujan in India.
(b) A teaching position for Ramanujan.
(c) A meeting with Ramanujan.
(d) Ramanujan's passage to England.
3. What does Kanigel say prevented Ramanujan from getting the care he needed?
(a) His family's poverty.
(b) The fight between his wife and mother.
(c) His distance from the cultural centers.
(d) The Great War.
4. Who was Leonard Euler?
(a) A teacher at Cambridge.
(b) A brilliant mathematician to whom Hardy compared Ramanujan.
(c) Hardy's protégé.
(d) Ramanujan's tutor.
5. What obstacle stood in the way of Hardy's plan?
(a) Ramanujan's poverty.
(b) Ramanujan's intractability.
(c) Ramanujan's resistance to sea travel.
(d) Ramanujan's inability to get a passport.
6. What value did Ramanujan work with at Cambridge?
(a) Chaitin's constant.
(b) Avogadro's number.
(c) Real numbers.
7. What did Ramanujan work out in his research on constants?
(a) A new use for Euler's constant.
(b) An approximation of pi.
(c) A solution to pi.
(d) A foundation for Euler's constant.
8. In his letter to Hardy, what did Ramanujan say he had discovered?
(a) A function for using irrational numbers in multi-variable calculus.
(b) A mistake in Hardy's theorems.
(c) A solution to a problem Hardy proposed.
(d) A theory of relativity.
9. How does Kanigel say Ramanujan saw himself when he was returning to India?
(a) A complete failure.
(b) A demi-god.
(c) Not successful.
(d) A celebrity.
10. What aspect of the English does Kanigel say affected Ramanujan?
(b) Intellectual rigor.
(c) Affected coldness.
11. What was Ramanujan interested in in this value?
(a) The constant's practical value.
(b) The constant's irrationality.
(c) Underlying properties.
(d) Its infinite nature.
12. What does Kanigel say characterized Indian intellectuals' experience at Cambridge?
13. How do people account for Ramanujan's self-assessment?
(a) Ramanujan's naïveté.
(b) Ramanujan's arrogance.
(c) Hardy's coldness.
14. How does Kanigel describe English society from Ramanujan's point-of-view?
15. How does Kanigel say Ramanujan passed his time on the ship?
(a) Playing games.
(c) Working feverishly.
(d) Reading novels.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Ramanujan spend all his time on returning to India?
2. What cultural practice did Ramanujan insist on, in Kanigel's account?
3. Who learned of Ramanujan's arrival by the newspapers?
4. How did Ramanujan respond to Hardy's request for proofs?
5. How does Kanigel describe Ramanujan's dress?
This section contains 436 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)