|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are partitions in math?
(a) The distinctions between prime numbers and other numbers.
(b) The number of ways to arrive at a number.
(c) The separation between rational and irrational numbers.
(d) The divisions between theorems and proofs.
2. What were Ramanujan and Hardy looking for in their work on partitions?
(a) A way to define the number of partitions precisely.
(b) A point at which partitions broke down for prime numbers.
(c) A theorem that demonstrated how partitions operate in series.
(d) A way to bridge partitions.
3. What was proved correct in Ramanujan's work from this time?
(a) His conclusions.
(b) His proofs.
(c) His assumptions.
(d) His theorems.
4. How does Kanigel characterize Ramanujan's theorems and formulas?
(a) Almost incomprehensible.
(b) Odd by English standards.
(d) Universally recognizable.
5. What does Kanigel say was Ramanujan's greatest talent?
(a) His perception.
(b) His intuition.
(c) His calculations.
(d) His associative abilities.
6. Who learned of Ramanujan's arrival by the newspapers?
(a) His wife.
(b) His mother.
(c) His in-laws.
(d) His old patron.
7. What did Hardy and Neville nominate Ramanujan to become?
(a) A teacher at King's College.
(b) A dean at Oriel College.
(c) A fellow at Trinity College.
(d) A graduate student at Trinity.
8. What was the doctor's prescription for Ramanujan's condition?
(a) Rest and care.
(b) Physical activity.
9. How does Kanigel describe the value of Ramanujan's discovery?
(a) It predicts the behavior of certain celestial bodies.
(b) It revised several major mathematic theorems.
(c) It has yet to be disproved.
(d) It is still used today.
10. What did NOT contribute to Ramanujan's discomfort during the sea voyage to England?
(a) The strangers.
(d) The temperatures.
11. What did Ramanujan work out in his research on constants?
(a) A solution to pi.
(b) A foundation for Euler's constant.
(c) A new use for Euler's constant.
(d) An approximation of pi.
12. Who is NOT included in the list of people who have benefited from Ramanujan's work, in Kanigel's account?
(c) Computer scientists.
13. What value did Ramanujan work with at Cambridge?
(a) Real numbers.
(b) Avogadro's number.
(c) Chaitin's constant.
14. What other Indian thinker does Kanigel compare Ramanujan's experience with?
(a) Anant Raje.
(c) Muhammad Ali Jinnah.
(d) Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar.
15. How does Kanigel describe the trip to England?
(d) Sublimely beautiful.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was proved incorrect in Ramanujan's work from this time?
2. How does Kanigel describe Ramanujan's relationship with his wife?
3. What did Ramanujan discover when his friend Mahalanobis read a puzzle from the paper?
4. What did Hardy decide after conferring with John Littlewood?
5. What did Hardy try to arrange after receiving Ramanujan's letter?
This section contains 472 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)