|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Ramanujan work out in his research on constants?
(a) An approximation of pi.
(b) A solution to pi.
(c) A foundation for Euler's constant.
(d) A new use for Euler's constant.
2. What did Hardy decide after conferring with John Littlewood?
(a) That Ramanujan was unstable.
(b) That Ramanujan was a small thinker.
(c) That Ramanujan was dangerous.
(d) That Ramanujan was a genius.
3. When did Ramanujan die?
4. What was Ramanujan interested in in this value?
(a) The constant's practical value.
(b) The constant's irrationality.
(c) Its infinite nature.
(d) Underlying properties.
5. In his letter to Hardy, what did Ramanujan say he had discovered?
(a) A mistake in Hardy's theorems.
(b) A theory of relativity.
(c) A solution to a problem Hardy proposed.
(d) A function for using irrational numbers in multi-variable calculus.
6. What did the divergent series 1+2+3+4+5... add up to in Ramanujan's notebooks?
7. How does Kanigel describe the value of Ramanujan's discovery?
(a) It has yet to be disproved.
(b) It is still used today.
(c) It predicts the behavior of certain celestial bodies.
(d) It revised several major mathematic theorems.
8. How does Kanigel describe the trip to England?
(a) Sublimely beautiful.
9. What was the doctor's diagnosis of Ramanujan's illness?
(d) Heart disease.
10. How do people account for Ramanujan's self-assessment?
(a) Ramanujan's arrogance.
(b) Hardy's coldness.
(d) Ramanujan's naïveté.
11. How did Ramanujan spend all his time on returning to India?
(a) At the school where he taught.
(b) On math.
(c) With his parents.
(d) With his wife.
12. What was proved incorrect in Ramanujan's work from this time?
(a) His assumptions.
(b) His conclusions.
(c) His theorems.
(d) His proofs.
13. What conflict did Ramanujan return to?
(a) His wife and his mother.
(b) His father and the authorities.
(c) His mother and father.
(d) His parents with his in-laws.
14. What were Ramanujan and Hardy looking for in their work on partitions?
(a) A point at which partitions broke down for prime numbers.
(b) A way to bridge partitions.
(c) A way to define the number of partitions precisely.
(d) A theorem that demonstrated how partitions operate in series.
15. What practice does Kanigel say Ramanujan had difficulty adjusting to in England?
(a) Wearing shoes.
(b) Afternoon tea.
(c) Speaking English.
(d) English cooking.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was Leonard Euler?
2. Who developed an exact solution to the question of partitions?
3. How much of Ramanujan's work did Hardy believe was sound and original?
4. What did Ramanujan's Master Theorem attempt to do?
5. What did Littlewood and Hardy see as mathematically important?
This section contains 451 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)