|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who learned of Ramanujan's arrival by the newspapers?
(a) His old patron.
(b) His wife.
(c) His mother.
(d) His in-laws.
2. How does Kanigel describe Ramanujan when he returned to India?
3. What did Ramanujan and Hardy develop for working with partitions?
(a) Nested square roots.
(b) A precise method for determining partitions for prime numbers.
(c) The circle method.
(d) A refinement of Euler's suggestion.
4. What was Ramanujan interested in in this value?
(a) Its infinite nature.
(b) The constant's practical value.
(c) Underlying properties.
(d) The constant's irrationality.
5. What did the divergent series 1+2+3+4+5... add up to in Ramanujan's notebooks?
6. What was the result of Ramanujan clinging to his cultural practices?
(a) He generated fear and hostility in those around him.
(b) He brought Indian culture to English intellectuals.
(c) He taught English students how to cook Indian dishes.
(d) He remained an outsider.
7. What did Littlewood and Hardy see as mathematically important?
(a) Ramanujan's infinite series.
(b) Ramanujan's use of irrational numbers.
(c) Ramanujan's nested square roots.
(d) Ramanujan's detailed proofs.
8. How did Ramanujan respond to Hardy's request for proofs?
(a) He dragged his feet about sending them.
(b) He said he could not produce them.
(c) He would send them if Hardy would help him financially.
(d) He sent them immediately.
9. With whom did Ramanujan eventually begin to develop a real relationship, according to Kanigel?
(a) His in-laws.
(b) His old friends.
(c) His wife.
(d) His patron.
10. What did Ramanujan say he was willing to do in order to come to England?
(a) Work for Hardy.
(b) Be cast out of his Brahmin class.
(c) Borrow money.
(d) Abandon his wife.
11. What other Indian thinker does Kanigel compare Ramanujan's experience with?
(a) Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar.
(c) Muhammad Ali Jinnah.
(d) Anant Raje.
12. What does Kanigel say prevented Ramanujan from getting the care he needed?
(a) The Great War.
(b) His family's poverty.
(c) His distance from the cultural centers.
(d) The fight between his wife and mother.
13. Based on his letter, what was Hardy trying to determine about Ramanujan?
(a) Who his teachers had been.
(b) How he had devised his theories.
(c) Where he was from.
(d) Whether he was a crank.
14. What did Ramanujan work out in his research on constants?
(a) A new use for Euler's constant.
(b) A solution to pi.
(c) A foundation for Euler's constant.
(d) An approximation of pi.
15. What was Ramanujan's intention when he returned home?
(a) To stay in India for a few years.
(b) To teach in India.
(c) Never to return to England.
(d) To bring his wife back to England.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Ramanujan see himself socially, according to Kanigel?
2. What cultural practice did Ramanujan insist on, in Kanigel's account?
3. What is the state of Ramanujan's work now?
4. How does Kanigel describe the trip to England?
5. What obstacle stood in the way of Hardy's plan?
This section contains 485 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)