Final Test - Easy
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was it that offended Ramanujan when he invited some friends to dinner?
(a) The women declined a third helping.
(b) The friends criticized his cooking.
(c) The men used salt.
(d) The friends wanted to use silverware.
2. How does Kanigel describe Ramanujan's relationship with his wife?
(b) Almost non-existent.
3. How did Ramanujan see himself socially, according to Kanigel?
(a) As a Brahmin.
(b) As a celebrity.
(c) As a citizen.
(d) As a mathematician.
4. When do mathematicians believe Ramanujan did his best work?
(a) During his illness.
(b) At Cambridge.
(c) On the ship back to India.
(d) Before he left for England.
5. How does Kanigel say Ramanujan saw himself when he was returning to India?
(a) Not successful.
(b) A demi-god.
(c) A complete failure.
(d) A celebrity.
6. What did Hardy decide after conferring with John Littlewood?
(a) That Ramanujan was a small thinker.
(b) That Ramanujan was dangerous.
(c) That Ramanujan was unstable.
(d) That Ramanujan was a genius.
7. How was Ramanujan treated on his return?
(a) As an untouchable.
(b) As an exile.
(c) As an outcast.
(d) As a celebrity.
8. What did Littlewood and Hardy see as mathematically important?
(a) Ramanujan's use of irrational numbers.
(b) Ramanujan's detailed proofs.
(c) Ramanujan's infinite series.
(d) Ramanujan's nested square roots.
9. Who learned of Ramanujan's arrival by the newspapers?
(a) His in-laws.
(b) His mother.
(c) His old patron.
(d) His wife.
10. Who did Ramanujan stay with in England?
(c) John Littlewood.
11. How did Ramanujan respond to Hardy's request for proofs?
(a) He would send them if Hardy would help him financially.
(b) He dragged his feet about sending them.
(c) He said he could not produce them.
(d) He sent them immediately.
12. What did NOT contribute to Ramanujan's discomfort during the sea voyage to England?
(b) The temperatures.
(d) The strangers.
13. What did the divergent series 1+2+3+4+5... add up to in Ramanujan's notebooks?
14. When did Ramanujan write to Hardy?
15. In his letter to Hardy, what was the importance of the thing Ramanujan claimed to have discovered?
(a) It was already common knowledge.
(b) It had been a mystery for years.
(c) No one under thirty had even tried it.
(d) It was just being discovered simultaneously at other math departments.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Ramanujan spend all his time on returning to India?
2. What was Ramanujan interested in in this value?
3. How does Kanigel describe the trip to England?
4. What does Kanigel say Ramanujan distrusted in English society?
5. Who was absent from the dock when Ramanujan's ship came in?
This section contains 432 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)