|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Hardy and Neville nominate Ramanujan to become?
(a) A fellow at Trinity College.
(b) A teacher at King's College.
(c) A dean at Oriel College.
(d) A graduate student at Trinity.
2. What conflict did Ramanujan return to?
(a) His parents with his in-laws.
(b) His mother and father.
(c) His father and the authorities.
(d) His wife and his mother.
3. What does Kanigel say characterized Indian intellectuals' experience at Cambridge?
4. What other Indian thinker does Kanigel compare Ramanujan's experience with?
(b) Muhammad Ali Jinnah.
(c) Anant Raje.
(d) Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar.
5. What did Ramanujan work out in his research on constants?
(a) An approximation of pi.
(b) A foundation for Euler's constant.
(c) A solution to pi.
(d) A new use for Euler's constant.
6. Who is NOT included in the list of people who have benefited from Ramanujan's work, in Kanigel's account?
(b) Computer scientists.
7. What cultural practice did Ramanujan insist on, in Kanigel's account?
(a) Daily prayers.
(b) Animal sacrifice.
(c) Visiting Hindu shrines.
8. How does Kanigel describe English society from Ramanujan's point-of-view?
9. What was the result of Ramanujan clinging to his cultural practices?
(a) He brought Indian culture to English intellectuals.
(b) He generated fear and hostility in those around him.
(c) He taught English students how to cook Indian dishes.
(d) He remained an outsider.
10. What were Ramanujan and Hardy looking for in their work on partitions?
(a) A way to define the number of partitions precisely.
(b) A theorem that demonstrated how partitions operate in series.
(c) A way to bridge partitions.
(d) A point at which partitions broke down for prime numbers.
11. Where did Ramanujan move to?
12. How does Kanigel describe Ramanujan's relationship with his wife?
(d) Almost non-existent.
13. What was Ramanujan's intention when he returned home?
(a) To stay in India for a few years.
(b) Never to return to England.
(c) To teach in India.
(d) To bring his wife back to England.
14. What was proved incorrect in Ramanujan's work from this time?
(a) His proofs.
(b) His assumptions.
(c) His theorems.
(d) His conclusions.
15. How long did the trip from India to England take?
(a) Three weeks.
(b) Six weeks.
(c) A month.
(d) Two months.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was Neville?
2. In his letter to Hardy, what was the importance of the thing Ramanujan claimed to have discovered?
3. What was Ramanujan interested in in this value?
4. What did Hardy and his friends arrange for Ramanujan?
5. Who developed an exact solution to the question of partitions?
This section contains 471 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)