|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Ramanujan interested in in this value?
(a) The constant's irrationality.
(b) Underlying properties.
(c) The constant's practical value.
(d) Its infinite nature.
2. In his letter to Hardy, what did Ramanujan say he had discovered?
(a) A solution to a problem Hardy proposed.
(b) A theory of relativity.
(c) A mistake in Hardy's theorems.
(d) A function for using irrational numbers in multi-variable calculus.
3. Who was absent from the dock when Ramanujan's ship came in?
(a) His friends.
(b) His mother.
(c) His father.
(d) His wife.
4. How did Ramanujan respond to Hardy's request for proofs?
(a) He sent them immediately.
(b) He said he could not produce them.
(c) He dragged his feet about sending them.
(d) He would send them if Hardy would help him financially.
5. How does Kanigel characterize Ramanujan's theorems and formulas?
(b) Odd by English standards.
(c) Almost incomprehensible.
(d) Universally recognizable.
6. What was proved incorrect in Ramanujan's work from this time?
(a) His proofs.
(b) His theorems.
(c) His conclusions.
(d) His assumptions.
7. What was the doctor's prescription for Ramanujan's condition?
(a) Physical activity.
(b) Rest and care.
8. What does Kanigel say was Ramanujan's greatest talent?
(a) His perception.
(b) His intuition.
(c) His calculations.
(d) His associative abilities.
9. What did Hardy and his friends arrange for Ramanujan?
(a) A bureaucratic appointment.
(b) A teaching position.
(c) A research position.
(d) A sinecure.
10. What conflict did Ramanujan return to?
(a) His father and the authorities.
(b) His parents with his in-laws.
(c) His mother and father.
(d) His wife and his mother.
11. Who learned of Ramanujan's arrival by the newspapers?
(a) His mother.
(b) His wife.
(c) His in-laws.
(d) His old patron.
12. What did NOT contribute to Ramanujan's discomfort during the sea voyage to England?
(b) The temperatures.
(d) The strangers.
13. How do people account for Ramanujan's self-assessment?
(a) Ramanujan's arrogance.
(c) Ramanujan's naïveté.
(d) Hardy's coldness.
14. What did Ramanujan discover when his friend Mahalanobis read a puzzle from the paper?
(a) A proof to all problems like that puzzle.
(b) The constant that resolves series to prime numbers.
(c) The mystical nature of numbers.
(d) The value of pi.
15. How does Kanigel describe the trip to England?
(c) Sublimely beautiful.
Short Answer Questions
1. With whom did Ramanujan eventually begin to develop a real relationship, according to Kanigel?
2. What did the divergent series 1+2+3+4+5... add up to in Ramanujan's notebooks?
3. What was it that offended Ramanujan when he invited some friends to dinner?
4. How does Kanigel say Ramanujan saw himself when he was returning to India?
5. What did Ramanujan petition Cambridge for?
This section contains 435 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)