|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who developed an exact solution to the question of partitions?
(d) Later mathematicians.
2. What did Hardy decide after conferring with John Littlewood?
(a) That Ramanujan was a small thinker.
(b) That Ramanujan was a genius.
(c) That Ramanujan was unstable.
(d) That Ramanujan was dangerous.
3. When did Ramanujan write to Hardy?
4. How did Ramanujan respond to Hardy's request for proofs?
(a) He dragged his feet about sending them.
(b) He would send them if Hardy would help him financially.
(c) He sent them immediately.
(d) He said he could not produce them.
5. Where did Ramanujan move to?
6. What obstacle stood in the way of Hardy's plan?
(a) Ramanujan's resistance to sea travel.
(b) Ramanujan's inability to get a passport.
(c) Ramanujan's poverty.
(d) Ramanujan's intractability.
7. Who was Neville?
(a) The dean at the university where Ramanujan was doing his research.
(b) Ramanujan's Tutor.
(c) Hardy's ambassador to Ramanujan.
(d) Ramanujan's ambassador to Hardy.
8. How did Ramanujan see himself socially, according to Kanigel?
(a) As a citizen.
(b) As a Brahmin.
(c) As a celebrity.
(d) As a mathematician.
9. In his letter to Hardy, what did Ramanujan say he had discovered?
(a) A solution to a problem Hardy proposed.
(b) A theory of relativity.
(c) A mistake in Hardy's theorems.
(d) A function for using irrational numbers in multi-variable calculus.
10. What does Kanigel say was Ramanujan's greatest talent?
(a) His perception.
(b) His intuition.
(c) His calculations.
(d) His associative abilities.
11. How does Kanigel describe Ramanujan when he returned to India?
12. Who was Leonard Euler?
(a) Ramanujan's tutor.
(b) A brilliant mathematician to whom Hardy compared Ramanujan.
(c) A teacher at Cambridge.
(d) Hardy's protégé.
13. What does Kanigel say Ramanujan distrusted in English society?
(a) School cafeterias.
(b) Public transportation.
(c) High tea.
(d) Secret societies.
14. What did Hardy and Neville nominate Ramanujan to become?
(a) A fellow at Trinity College.
(b) A teacher at King's College.
(c) A graduate student at Trinity.
(d) A dean at Oriel College.
15. Who learned of Ramanujan's arrival by the newspapers?
(a) His wife.
(b) His mother.
(c) His in-laws.
(d) His old patron.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Kanigel describe Ramanujan as a mathematical thinker?
2. What was the result of Ramanujan clinging to his cultural practices?
3. What did Ramanujan discover when his friend Mahalanobis read a puzzle from the paper?
4. What was the doctor's prescription for Ramanujan's condition?
5. Based on his letter, what was Hardy trying to determine about Ramanujan?
This section contains 455 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)