|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who developed an exact solution to the question of partitions?
(c) Later mathematicians.
2. How did Ramanujan respond to Hardy's request for proofs?
(a) He dragged his feet about sending them.
(b) He said he could not produce them.
(c) He would send them if Hardy would help him financially.
(d) He sent them immediately.
3. What was Ramanujan's intention when he returned home?
(a) To stay in India for a few years.
(b) To teach in India.
(c) Never to return to England.
(d) To bring his wife back to England.
4. What was proved correct in Ramanujan's work from this time?
(a) His conclusions.
(b) His theorems.
(c) His proofs.
(d) His assumptions.
5. What did Ramanujan's Master Theorem attempt to do?
(a) Formulate number theory.
(b) Reduce infinite series to prime numbers.
(c) Solve Fermat's Last Theorem.
(d) Integrate finite integrals.
6. What cultural practice did Ramanujan insist on, in Kanigel's account?
(a) Visiting Hindu shrines.
(b) Animal sacrifice.
(c) Daily prayers.
7. When did Ramanujan die?
8. How does Kanigel say Ramanujan saw himself when he was returning to India?
(a) A complete failure.
(b) A celebrity.
(c) Not successful.
(d) A demi-god.
9. What did Ramanujan work out in his research on constants?
(a) A foundation for Euler's constant.
(b) An approximation of pi.
(c) A solution to pi.
(d) A new use for Euler's constant.
10. What was it that offended Ramanujan when he invited some friends to dinner?
(a) The friends criticized his cooking.
(b) The men used salt.
(c) The friends wanted to use silverware.
(d) The women declined a third helping.
11. How was Ramanujan treated on his return?
(a) As an untouchable.
(b) As an outcast.
(c) As a celebrity.
(d) As an exile.
12. What did Hardy and his friends arrange for Ramanujan?
(a) A sinecure.
(b) A research position.
(c) A teaching position.
(d) A bureaucratic appointment.
13. Who learned of Ramanujan's arrival by the newspapers?
(a) His old patron.
(b) His in-laws.
(c) His wife.
(d) His mother.
14. What is the state of Ramanujan's work now?
(a) Not completely collected.
(b) Completely published and evaluated.
(d) Not completely published.
15. How does Kanigel describe John Littlewood?
(a) A bureaucrat.
(b) A therapist.
(c) A consultant.
(d) A math prodigy.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Ramanujan petition Cambridge for?
2. What does Kanigel say Ramanujan distrusted in English society?
3. How long did the trip from India to England take?
4. What was Euler's contribution to understanding partitions?
5. What did Hardy try to arrange after receiving Ramanujan's letter?
This section contains 429 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)