|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Kanigel describe Ramanujan's dress?
(a) English dress.
(b) A unique brand of slovenliness all his own.
(c) A hybrid of Indian and English.
(d) Traditional Indian dress.
2. Who is NOT included in the list of people who have benefited from Ramanujan's work, in Kanigel's account?
(a) Computer scientists.
3. What practice does Kanigel say Ramanujan had difficulty adjusting to in England?
(a) Speaking English.
(b) Afternoon tea.
(c) Wearing shoes.
(d) English cooking.
4. What did Ramanujan's Master Theorem attempt to do?
(a) Integrate finite integrals.
(b) Solve Fermat's Last Theorem.
(c) Reduce infinite series to prime numbers.
(d) Formulate number theory.
5. What does Kanigel say Ramanujan distrusted in English society?
(a) Secret societies.
(b) School cafeterias.
(c) High tea.
(d) Public transportation.
6. What was Ramanujan's intention when he returned home?
(a) To stay in India for a few years.
(b) To bring his wife back to England.
(c) To teach in India.
(d) Never to return to England.
7. Who was Leonard Euler?
(a) Hardy's protégé.
(b) A brilliant mathematician to whom Hardy compared Ramanujan.
(c) A teacher at Cambridge.
(d) Ramanujan's tutor.
8. How was Ramanujan treated on his return?
(a) As an outcast.
(b) As an untouchable.
(c) As an exile.
(d) As a celebrity.
9. What did Hardy and his friends arrange for Ramanujan?
(a) A sinecure.
(b) A bureaucratic appointment.
(c) A teaching position.
(d) A research position.
10. How does Kanigel describe the trip to England?
(b) Sublimely beautiful.
11. What did Ramanujan say he was willing to do in order to come to England?
(a) Be cast out of his Brahmin class.
(b) Borrow money.
(c) Abandon his wife.
(d) Work for Hardy.
12. Who was absent from the dock when Ramanujan's ship came in?
(a) His mother.
(b) His friends.
(c) His wife.
(d) His father.
13. What did Littlewood and Hardy see as mathematically important?
(a) Ramanujan's detailed proofs.
(b) Ramanujan's nested square roots.
(c) Ramanujan's infinite series.
(d) Ramanujan's use of irrational numbers.
14. What was Euler's contribution to understanding partitions?
(a) A functional approximation.
(b) Notes on the performance of nested square roots.
(c) An algorithm, but without values.
(d) A theorem about series.
15. What was the doctor's diagnosis of Ramanujan's illness?
(d) Heart disease.
Short Answer Questions
1. What obstacle stood in the way of Hardy's plan?
2. What was proved incorrect in Ramanujan's work from this time?
3. What does Kanigel say characterized Indian intellectuals' experience at Cambridge?
4. What was Ramanujan interested in in this value?
5. In his letter to Hardy, what did Ramanujan say he had discovered?
This section contains 440 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)