|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Littlewood and Hardy see as mathematically important?
(a) Ramanujan's detailed proofs.
(b) Ramanujan's infinite series.
(c) Ramanujan's use of irrational numbers.
(d) Ramanujan's nested square roots.
2. What are partitions in math?
(a) The distinctions between prime numbers and other numbers.
(b) The number of ways to arrive at a number.
(c) The separation between rational and irrational numbers.
(d) The divisions between theorems and proofs.
3. How does Kanigel say Ramanujan passed his time on the ship?
(a) Working feverishly.
(c) Playing games.
(d) Reading novels.
4. How was Ramanujan treated on his return?
(a) As a celebrity.
(b) As an outcast.
(c) As an untouchable.
(d) As an exile.
5. With whom did Ramanujan eventually begin to develop a real relationship, according to Kanigel?
(a) His old friends.
(b) His wife.
(c) His in-laws.
(d) His patron.
6. What did Ramanujan say he was willing to do in order to come to England?
(a) Work for Hardy.
(b) Borrow money.
(c) Abandon his wife.
(d) Be cast out of his Brahmin class.
7. What was it that offended Ramanujan when he invited some friends to dinner?
(a) The friends criticized his cooking.
(b) The women declined a third helping.
(c) The men used salt.
(d) The friends wanted to use silverware.
8. What did Ramanujan work out in his research on constants?
(a) A new use for Euler's constant.
(b) A solution to pi.
(c) A foundation for Euler's constant.
(d) An approximation of pi.
9. What society was Ramanujan elected to?
(a) The Apostles.
(b) Phi Beta Kappa.
(c) The Royal Society.
(d) The Academy of Sciences.
10. How long did the trip from India to England take?
(a) Three weeks.
(b) A month.
(c) Six weeks.
(d) Two months.
11. Who was Leonard Euler?
(a) A teacher at Cambridge.
(b) Ramanujan's tutor.
(c) Hardy's protégé.
(d) A brilliant mathematician to whom Hardy compared Ramanujan.
12. When do mathematicians believe Ramanujan did his best work?
(a) On the ship back to India.
(b) At Cambridge.
(c) Before he left for England.
(d) During his illness.
13. Who was absent from the dock when Ramanujan's ship came in?
(a) His friends.
(b) His father.
(c) His mother.
(d) His wife.
14. What was Ramanujan interested in in this value?
(a) The constant's irrationality.
(b) Its infinite nature.
(c) Underlying properties.
(d) The constant's practical value.
15. To what extent does Kanigel say Ramanujan blended in with Cambridge society?
(a) He remained hostile to it.
(b) Not very much.
(d) He was always in between cultures.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was Neville?
2. In his letter to Hardy, what did Ramanujan say he had discovered?
3. Based on his letter, what was Hardy trying to determine about Ramanujan?
4. What obstacle stood in the way of Hardy's plan?
5. How does Kanigel characterize Ramanujan's theorems and formulas?
This section contains 494 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)