|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Ramanujan work out in his research on constants?
(a) A solution to pi.
(b) A foundation for Euler's constant.
(c) An approximation of pi.
(d) A new use for Euler's constant.
2. When did Ramanujan die?
3. What did Ramanujan's Master Theorem attempt to do?
(a) Integrate finite integrals.
(b) Reduce infinite series to prime numbers.
(c) Formulate number theory.
(d) Solve Fermat's Last Theorem.
4. To what extent does Kanigel say Ramanujan blended in with Cambridge society?
(b) Not very much.
(c) He remained hostile to it.
(d) He was always in between cultures.
5. What did the divergent series 1+2+3+4+5... add up to in Ramanujan's notebooks?
6. What did Hardy and his friends arrange for Ramanujan?
(a) A sinecure.
(b) A teaching position.
(c) A research position.
(d) A bureaucratic appointment.
7. In his letter to Hardy, what did Ramanujan say he had discovered?
(a) A function for using irrational numbers in multi-variable calculus.
(b) A mistake in Hardy's theorems.
(c) A theory of relativity.
(d) A solution to a problem Hardy proposed.
8. What was the result of Ramanujan clinging to his cultural practices?
(a) He remained an outsider.
(b) He brought Indian culture to English intellectuals.
(c) He generated fear and hostility in those around him.
(d) He taught English students how to cook Indian dishes.
9. Who did Ramanujan stay with in England?
(a) John Littlewood.
10. How do people account for Ramanujan's self-assessment?
(a) Ramanujan's arrogance.
(c) Ramanujan's naïveté.
(d) Hardy's coldness.
11. How does Kanigel describe Ramanujan as a mathematical thinker?
12. What was proved correct in Ramanujan's work from this time?
(a) His conclusions.
(b) His proofs.
(c) His assumptions.
(d) His theorems.
13. Who was Neville?
(a) Ramanujan's ambassador to Hardy.
(b) Hardy's ambassador to Ramanujan.
(c) The dean at the university where Ramanujan was doing his research.
(d) Ramanujan's Tutor.
14. How does Kanigel characterize Ramanujan's theorems and formulas?
(b) Odd by English standards.
(c) Almost incomprehensible.
(d) Universally recognizable.
15. How does Kanigel say Ramanujan saw himself when he was returning to India?
(a) A complete failure.
(b) A demi-god.
(c) Not successful.
(d) A celebrity.
Short Answer Questions
1. What cultural practice did Ramanujan insist on, in Kanigel's account?
2. When did Ramanujan write to Hardy?
3. What did Ramanujan and Hardy develop for working with partitions?
4. What is the state of Ramanujan's work now?
5. Who was Leonard Euler?
This section contains 409 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)