|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was Neville?
(a) Ramanujan's Tutor.
(b) Hardy's ambassador to Ramanujan.
(c) The dean at the university where Ramanujan was doing his research.
(d) Ramanujan's ambassador to Hardy.
2. How much of Ramanujan's work did Hardy believe was sound and original?
(a) Five to ten percent.
(b) Almost all of it.
(c) One to two thirds.
(d) Half to three quarters.
3. What does Kanigel say characterized Indian intellectuals' experience at Cambridge?
4. How was Ramanujan treated on his return?
(a) As a celebrity.
(b) As an exile.
(c) As an outcast.
(d) As an untouchable.
5. Based on his letter, what was Hardy trying to determine about Ramanujan?
(a) Where he was from.
(b) Whether he was a crank.
(c) Who his teachers had been.
(d) How he had devised his theories.
6. When do mathematicians believe Ramanujan did his best work?
(a) At Cambridge.
(b) During his illness.
(c) Before he left for England.
(d) On the ship back to India.
7. How did Ramanujan spend all his time on returning to India?
(a) At the school where he taught.
(b) On math.
(c) With his wife.
(d) With his parents.
8. What was the doctor's diagnosis of Ramanujan's illness?
(c) Heart disease.
9. What obstacle stood in the way of Hardy's plan?
(a) Ramanujan's resistance to sea travel.
(b) Ramanujan's inability to get a passport.
(c) Ramanujan's intractability.
(d) Ramanujan's poverty.
10. To what extent does Kanigel say Ramanujan blended in with Cambridge society?
(a) Not very much.
(b) He was always in between cultures.
(d) He remained hostile to it.
11. What did Ramanujan work out in his research on constants?
(a) A new use for Euler's constant.
(b) An approximation of pi.
(c) A foundation for Euler's constant.
(d) A solution to pi.
12. How long did the trip from India to England take?
(a) A month.
(b) Six weeks.
(c) Two months.
(d) Three weeks.
13. How does Kanigel describe the trip to England?
(d) Sublimely beautiful.
14. Who was Leonard Euler?
(a) A teacher at Cambridge.
(b) Ramanujan's tutor.
(c) A brilliant mathematician to whom Hardy compared Ramanujan.
(d) Hardy's protégé.
15. What did Ramanujan's Master Theorem attempt to do?
(a) Formulate number theory.
(b) Solve Fermat's Last Theorem.
(c) Reduce infinite series to prime numbers.
(d) Integrate finite integrals.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Hardy decide after conferring with John Littlewood?
2. How does Kanigel describe Ramanujan as a mathematical thinker?
3. What cultural practice did Ramanujan insist on, in Kanigel's account?
4. Who did Ramanujan stay with in England?
5. What did Ramanujan petition Cambridge for?
This section contains 422 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)