|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In his letter to Hardy, what did Ramanujan say he had discovered?
(a) A mistake in Hardy's theorems.
(b) A solution to a problem Hardy proposed.
(c) A theory of relativity.
(d) A function for using irrational numbers in multi-variable calculus.
2. What did Hardy and his friends arrange for Ramanujan?
(a) A bureaucratic appointment.
(b) A teaching position.
(c) A research position.
(d) A sinecure.
3. When did Ramanujan die?
4. What did the divergent series 1+2+3+4+5... add up to in Ramanujan's notebooks?
5. What did Ramanujan work out in his research on constants?
(a) A foundation for Euler's constant.
(b) A new use for Euler's constant.
(c) An approximation of pi.
(d) A solution to pi.
6. What was Euler's contribution to understanding partitions?
(a) A theorem about series.
(b) Notes on the performance of nested square roots.
(c) A functional approximation.
(d) An algorithm, but without values.
7. How does Kanigel describe the value of Ramanujan's discovery?
(a) It is still used today.
(b) It revised several major mathematic theorems.
(c) It predicts the behavior of certain celestial bodies.
(d) It has yet to be disproved.
8. What was Ramanujan's intention when he returned home?
(a) To stay in India for a few years.
(b) To bring his wife back to England.
(c) To teach in India.
(d) Never to return to England.
9. What aspect of the English does Kanigel say affected Ramanujan?
(a) Affected coldness.
(c) Intellectual rigor.
10. How does Kanigel describe John Littlewood?
(a) A therapist.
(b) A bureaucrat.
(c) A math prodigy.
(d) A consultant.
11. What practice does Kanigel say Ramanujan had difficulty adjusting to in England?
(a) Wearing shoes.
(b) English cooking.
(c) Afternoon tea.
(d) Speaking English.
12. How did Ramanujan spend all his time on returning to India?
(a) On math.
(b) At the school where he taught.
(c) With his wife.
(d) With his parents.
13. What did Hardy decide after conferring with John Littlewood?
(a) That Ramanujan was a genius.
(b) That Ramanujan was a small thinker.
(c) That Ramanujan was unstable.
(d) That Ramanujan was dangerous.
14. Who was Leonard Euler?
(a) Hardy's protégé.
(b) Ramanujan's tutor.
(c) A teacher at Cambridge.
(d) A brilliant mathematician to whom Hardy compared Ramanujan.
15. What is the state of Ramanujan's work now?
(a) Completely published and evaluated.
(c) Not completely published.
(d) Not completely collected.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Kanigel say Ramanujan saw himself when he was returning to India?
2. What was the doctor's prescription for Ramanujan's condition?
3. Where did Ramanujan move to?
4. Based on his letter, what was Hardy trying to determine about Ramanujan?
5. How was Ramanujan treated on his return?
This section contains 437 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)