|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Based on his letter, what was Hardy trying to determine about Ramanujan?
(a) Whether he was a crank.
(b) How he had devised his theories.
(c) Where he was from.
(d) Who his teachers had been.
2. How did Ramanujan spend all his time on returning to India?
(a) With his wife.
(b) On math.
(c) With his parents.
(d) At the school where he taught.
3. In his letter to Hardy, what was the importance of the thing Ramanujan claimed to have discovered?
(a) It was already common knowledge.
(b) It had been a mystery for years.
(c) No one under thirty had even tried it.
(d) It was just being discovered simultaneously at other math departments.
4. What did Hardy and Neville nominate Ramanujan to become?
(a) A fellow at Trinity College.
(b) A graduate student at Trinity.
(c) A teacher at King's College.
(d) A dean at Oriel College.
5. With whom did Ramanujan eventually begin to develop a real relationship, according to Kanigel?
(a) His wife.
(b) His patron.
(c) His in-laws.
(d) His old friends.
6. What society was Ramanujan elected to?
(a) The Academy of Sciences.
(b) Phi Beta Kappa.
(c) The Royal Society.
(d) The Apostles.
7. Who was absent from the dock when Ramanujan's ship came in?
(a) His father.
(b) His friends.
(c) His wife.
(d) His mother.
8. What does Kanigel say was Ramanujan's greatest talent?
(a) His calculations.
(b) His perception.
(c) His associative abilities.
(d) His intuition.
9. What did Hardy try to arrange after receiving Ramanujan's letter?
(a) A meeting with Ramanujan.
(b) A teaching position for Ramanujan.
(c) A scholarship for Ramanujan in India.
(d) Ramanujan's passage to England.
10. How does Kanigel characterize Ramanujan's theorems and formulas?
(a) Almost incomprehensible.
(c) Odd by English standards.
(d) Universally recognizable.
11. What was proved correct in Ramanujan's work from this time?
(a) His conclusions.
(b) His proofs.
(c) His assumptions.
(d) His theorems.
12. What did Hardy decide after conferring with John Littlewood?
(a) That Ramanujan was unstable.
(b) That Ramanujan was dangerous.
(c) That Ramanujan was a genius.
(d) That Ramanujan was a small thinker.
13. When do mathematicians believe Ramanujan did his best work?
(a) At Cambridge.
(b) Before he left for England.
(c) On the ship back to India.
(d) During his illness.
14. What other Indian thinker does Kanigel compare Ramanujan's experience with?
(b) Muhammad Ali Jinnah.
(c) Anant Raje.
(d) Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar.
15. How does Kanigel describe the trip to England?
(d) Sublimely beautiful.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Kanigel describe English society from Ramanujan's point-of-view?
2. Who developed an exact solution to the question of partitions?
3. What conflict did Ramanujan return to?
4. What was it that offended Ramanujan when he invited some friends to dinner?
5. How does Kanigel describe the value of Ramanujan's discovery?
This section contains 479 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)