|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Hardy and his friends arrange for Ramanujan?
(a) A sinecure.
(b) A bureaucratic appointment.
(c) A teaching position.
(d) A research position.
2. How does Kanigel describe the trip to England?
(d) Sublimely beautiful.
3. Who is NOT included in the list of people who have benefited from Ramanujan's work, in Kanigel's account?
(b) Computer scientists.
4. Based on his letter, what was Hardy trying to determine about Ramanujan?
(a) Where he was from.
(b) Whether he was a crank.
(c) How he had devised his theories.
(d) Who his teachers had been.
5. What did Ramanujan's Master Theorem attempt to do?
(a) Formulate number theory.
(b) Reduce infinite series to prime numbers.
(c) Solve Fermat's Last Theorem.
(d) Integrate finite integrals.
6. What did Ramanujan discover when his friend Mahalanobis read a puzzle from the paper?
(a) The mystical nature of numbers.
(b) The value of pi.
(c) A proof to all problems like that puzzle.
(d) The constant that resolves series to prime numbers.
7. Who was absent from the dock when Ramanujan's ship came in?
(a) His father.
(b) His wife.
(c) His mother.
(d) His friends.
8. How long did the trip from India to England take?
(a) A month.
(b) Three weeks.
(c) Two months.
(d) Six weeks.
9. Who learned of Ramanujan's arrival by the newspapers?
(a) His old patron.
(b) His mother.
(c) His wife.
(d) His in-laws.
10. Who developed an exact solution to the question of partitions?
(a) Later mathematicians.
11. How does Kanigel describe English society from Ramanujan's point-of-view?
12. To what extent does Kanigel say Ramanujan blended in with Cambridge society?
(b) Not very much.
(c) He was always in between cultures.
(d) He remained hostile to it.
13. What aspect of the English does Kanigel say affected Ramanujan?
(a) Affected coldness.
(c) Intellectual rigor.
14. What were Ramanujan and Hardy looking for in their work on partitions?
(a) A way to define the number of partitions precisely.
(b) A point at which partitions broke down for prime numbers.
(c) A way to bridge partitions.
(d) A theorem that demonstrated how partitions operate in series.
15. What did Ramanujan petition Cambridge for?
(b) A stipend.
(c) The right to return.
(d) An assistant.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Ramanujan respond to Hardy's request for proofs?
2. In his letter to Hardy, what was the importance of the thing Ramanujan claimed to have discovered?
3. What does Kanigel say Ramanujan distrusted in English society?
4. How was Ramanujan treated on his return?
5. How does Kanigel characterize Ramanujan's theorems and formulas?
This section contains 473 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)