|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. With whom did Ramanujan eventually begin to develop a real relationship, according to Kanigel?
(a) His old friends.
(b) His in-laws.
(c) His wife.
(d) His patron.
2. What society was Ramanujan elected to?
(a) Phi Beta Kappa.
(b) The Apostles.
(c) The Royal Society.
(d) The Academy of Sciences.
3. Who was absent from the dock when Ramanujan's ship came in?
(a) His friends.
(b) His wife.
(c) His father.
(d) His mother.
4. How was Ramanujan treated on his return?
(a) As a celebrity.
(b) As an untouchable.
(c) As an exile.
(d) As an outcast.
5. What does Kanigel say prevented Ramanujan from getting the care he needed?
(a) The Great War.
(b) The fight between his wife and mother.
(c) His distance from the cultural centers.
(d) His family's poverty.
6. What was the doctor's prescription for Ramanujan's condition?
(c) Rest and care.
(d) Physical activity.
7. What did Ramanujan and Hardy develop for working with partitions?
(a) The circle method.
(b) A refinement of Euler's suggestion.
(c) Nested square roots.
(d) A precise method for determining partitions for prime numbers.
8. What was Ramanujan interested in in this value?
(a) The constant's irrationality.
(b) Its infinite nature.
(c) The constant's practical value.
(d) Underlying properties.
9. What obstacle stood in the way of Hardy's plan?
(a) Ramanujan's resistance to sea travel.
(b) Ramanujan's intractability.
(c) Ramanujan's poverty.
(d) Ramanujan's inability to get a passport.
10. What conflict did Ramanujan return to?
(a) His father and the authorities.
(b) His mother and father.
(c) His parents with his in-laws.
(d) His wife and his mother.
11. What was proved incorrect in Ramanujan's work from this time?
(a) His assumptions.
(b) His theorems.
(c) His proofs.
(d) His conclusions.
12. Who learned of Ramanujan's arrival by the newspapers?
(a) His old patron.
(b) His mother.
(c) His in-laws.
(d) His wife.
13. How does Kanigel describe Ramanujan's dress?
(a) Traditional Indian dress.
(b) A unique brand of slovenliness all his own.
(c) A hybrid of Indian and English.
(d) English dress.
14. How does Kanigel describe Ramanujan when he returned to India?
15. What other Indian thinker does Kanigel compare Ramanujan's experience with?
(a) Muhammad Ali Jinnah.
(b) Anant Raje.
(d) Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who developed an exact solution to the question of partitions?
2. What was proved correct in Ramanujan's work from this time?
3. When did Ramanujan die?
4. What did Littlewood and Hardy see as mathematically important?
5. How does Kanigel say Ramanujan saw himself when he was returning to India?
This section contains 399 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)