|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Kanigel describe Ramanujan as a mathematical thinker?
2. Who was Neville?
(a) Ramanujan's Tutor.
(b) Ramanujan's ambassador to Hardy.
(c) The dean at the university where Ramanujan was doing his research.
(d) Hardy's ambassador to Ramanujan.
3. What practice does Kanigel say Ramanujan had difficulty adjusting to in England?
(a) Wearing shoes.
(b) Speaking English.
(c) Afternoon tea.
(d) English cooking.
4. What did Ramanujan say he was willing to do in order to come to England?
(a) Abandon his wife.
(b) Borrow money.
(c) Work for Hardy.
(d) Be cast out of his Brahmin class.
5. How does Kanigel describe English society from Ramanujan's point-of-view?
6. What conflict did Ramanujan return to?
(a) His mother and father.
(b) His parents with his in-laws.
(c) His father and the authorities.
(d) His wife and his mother.
7. When did Ramanujan die?
8. When do mathematicians believe Ramanujan did his best work?
(a) On the ship back to India.
(b) At Cambridge.
(c) Before he left for England.
(d) During his illness.
9. What does Kanigel say was Ramanujan's greatest talent?
(a) His associative abilities.
(b) His perception.
(c) His calculations.
(d) His intuition.
10. What cultural practice did Ramanujan insist on, in Kanigel's account?
(a) Daily prayers.
(b) Animal sacrifice.
(c) Visiting Hindu shrines.
11. What did NOT contribute to Ramanujan's discomfort during the sea voyage to England?
(b) The strangers.
(c) The temperatures.
12. How does Kanigel say Ramanujan passed his time on the ship?
(b) Reading novels.
(c) Working feverishly.
(d) Playing games.
13. What did Ramanujan work out in his research on constants?
(a) An approximation of pi.
(b) A foundation for Euler's constant.
(c) A new use for Euler's constant.
(d) A solution to pi.
14. How does Kanigel describe John Littlewood?
(a) A therapist.
(b) A math prodigy.
(c) A consultant.
(d) A bureaucrat.
15. What was Ramanujan's intention when he returned home?
(a) To teach in India.
(b) Never to return to England.
(c) To stay in India for a few years.
(d) To bring his wife back to England.
Short Answer Questions
1. In his letter to Hardy, what was the importance of the thing Ramanujan claimed to have discovered?
2. What were Ramanujan and Hardy looking for in their work on partitions?
3. Who did Ramanujan stay with in England?
4. How does Kanigel say Ramanujan saw himself when he was returning to India?
5. What was it that offended Ramanujan when he invited some friends to dinner?
This section contains 462 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)