|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Ramanujan discover when his friend Mahalanobis read a puzzle from the paper?
(a) The mystical nature of numbers.
(b) The value of pi.
(c) A proof to all problems like that puzzle.
(d) The constant that resolves series to prime numbers.
2. What obstacle stood in the way of Hardy's plan?
(a) Ramanujan's intractability.
(b) Ramanujan's poverty.
(c) Ramanujan's inability to get a passport.
(d) Ramanujan's resistance to sea travel.
3. What are partitions in math?
(a) The separation between rational and irrational numbers.
(b) The number of ways to arrive at a number.
(c) The distinctions between prime numbers and other numbers.
(d) The divisions between theorems and proofs.
4. What did Hardy try to arrange after receiving Ramanujan's letter?
(a) Ramanujan's passage to England.
(b) A teaching position for Ramanujan.
(c) A meeting with Ramanujan.
(d) A scholarship for Ramanujan in India.
5. What was it that offended Ramanujan when he invited some friends to dinner?
(a) The friends criticized his cooking.
(b) The women declined a third helping.
(c) The friends wanted to use silverware.
(d) The men used salt.
6. What did Hardy and Neville nominate Ramanujan to become?
(a) A dean at Oriel College.
(b) A graduate student at Trinity.
(c) A teacher at King's College.
(d) A fellow at Trinity College.
7. To what extent does Kanigel say Ramanujan blended in with Cambridge society?
(b) Not very much.
(c) He was always in between cultures.
(d) He remained hostile to it.
8. How does Kanigel say Ramanujan saw himself when he was returning to India?
(a) A complete failure.
(b) A celebrity.
(c) Not successful.
(d) A demi-god.
9. What did Ramanujan and Hardy develop for working with partitions?
(a) A refinement of Euler's suggestion.
(b) Nested square roots.
(c) The circle method.
(d) A precise method for determining partitions for prime numbers.
10. Who was Leonard Euler?
(a) Hardy's protégé.
(b) A brilliant mathematician to whom Hardy compared Ramanujan.
(c) Ramanujan's tutor.
(d) A teacher at Cambridge.
11. What was the doctor's diagnosis of Ramanujan's illness?
(d) Heart disease.
12. How did Ramanujan spend all his time on returning to India?
(a) At the school where he taught.
(b) With his parents.
(c) With his wife.
(d) On math.
13. What did Hardy and his friends arrange for Ramanujan?
(a) A sinecure.
(b) A research position.
(c) A bureaucratic appointment.
(d) A teaching position.
14. Who developed an exact solution to the question of partitions?
(a) Later mathematicians.
15. What was Ramanujan's intention when he returned home?
(a) Never to return to England.
(b) To bring his wife back to England.
(c) To stay in India for a few years.
(d) To teach in India.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Ramanujan move to?
2. How did Ramanujan respond to Hardy's request for proofs?
3. How much of Ramanujan's work did Hardy believe was sound and original?
4. When did Ramanujan die?
5. What did the divergent series 1+2+3+4+5... add up to in Ramanujan's notebooks?
This section contains 486 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)