|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the doctor's prescription for Ramanujan's condition?
(a) Rest and care.
(b) Physical activity.
2. How was Ramanujan treated on his return?
(a) As an untouchable.
(b) As an outcast.
(c) As an exile.
(d) As a celebrity.
3. What does Kanigel say prevented Ramanujan from getting the care he needed?
(a) His family's poverty.
(b) The fight between his wife and mother.
(c) His distance from the cultural centers.
(d) The Great War.
4. How does Kanigel say Ramanujan passed his time on the ship?
(b) Playing games.
(c) Reading novels.
(d) Working feverishly.
5. How does Kanigel describe Ramanujan as a mathematical thinker?
6. What did Hardy and Neville nominate Ramanujan to become?
(a) A fellow at Trinity College.
(b) A dean at Oriel College.
(c) A teacher at King's College.
(d) A graduate student at Trinity.
7. How does Kanigel describe Ramanujan's dress?
(a) Traditional Indian dress.
(b) A hybrid of Indian and English.
(c) English dress.
(d) A unique brand of slovenliness all his own.
8. How did Ramanujan see himself socially, according to Kanigel?
(a) As a Brahmin.
(b) As a mathematician.
(c) As a citizen.
(d) As a celebrity.
9. How does Kanigel describe the value of Ramanujan's discovery?
(a) It revised several major mathematic theorems.
(b) It is still used today.
(c) It has yet to be disproved.
(d) It predicts the behavior of certain celestial bodies.
10. How does Kanigel describe John Littlewood?
(a) A consultant.
(b) A math prodigy.
(c) A therapist.
(d) A bureaucrat.
11. How does Kanigel describe the trip to England?
(b) Sublimely beautiful.
12. How did Ramanujan spend all his time on returning to India?
(a) With his wife.
(b) With his parents.
(c) On math.
(d) At the school where he taught.
13. How does Kanigel characterize Ramanujan's theorems and formulas?
(b) Almost incomprehensible.
(c) Universally recognizable.
(d) Odd by English standards.
14. What did Ramanujan's Master Theorem attempt to do?
(a) Integrate finite integrals.
(b) Reduce infinite series to prime numbers.
(c) Solve Fermat's Last Theorem.
(d) Formulate number theory.
15. What conflict did Ramanujan return to?
(a) His wife and his mother.
(b) His father and the authorities.
(c) His mother and father.
(d) His parents with his in-laws.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Ramanujan interested in in this value?
2. What did Ramanujan and Hardy develop for working with partitions?
3. Who was Leonard Euler?
4. What did Hardy try to arrange after receiving Ramanujan's letter?
5. What was it that offended Ramanujan when he invited some friends to dinner?
This section contains 458 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)