|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do people account for Ramanujan's self-assessment?
(a) Ramanujan's arrogance.
(b) Ramanujan's naïveté.
(c) Hardy's coldness.
2. How does Kanigel describe Ramanujan when he returned to India?
3. What did Hardy and Neville nominate Ramanujan to become?
(a) A dean at Oriel College.
(b) A graduate student at Trinity.
(c) A teacher at King's College.
(d) A fellow at Trinity College.
4. How does Kanigel describe English society from Ramanujan's point-of-view?
5. How does Kanigel say Ramanujan passed his time on the ship?
(a) Reading novels.
(b) Working feverishly.
(d) Playing games.
6. What was Ramanujan interested in in this value?
(a) The constant's irrationality.
(b) Its infinite nature.
(c) Underlying properties.
(d) The constant's practical value.
7. What was the doctor's prescription for Ramanujan's condition?
(c) Physical activity.
(d) Rest and care.
8. What does Kanigel say was Ramanujan's greatest talent?
(a) His intuition.
(b) His associative abilities.
(c) His calculations.
(d) His perception.
9. How did Ramanujan see himself socially, according to Kanigel?
(a) As a mathematician.
(b) As a Brahmin.
(c) As a celebrity.
(d) As a citizen.
10. When do mathematicians believe Ramanujan did his best work?
(a) Before he left for England.
(b) At Cambridge.
(c) During his illness.
(d) On the ship back to India.
11. Who was Neville?
(a) The dean at the university where Ramanujan was doing his research.
(b) Ramanujan's Tutor.
(c) Hardy's ambassador to Ramanujan.
(d) Ramanujan's ambassador to Hardy.
12. What society was Ramanujan elected to?
(a) The Royal Society.
(b) Phi Beta Kappa.
(c) The Academy of Sciences.
(d) The Apostles.
13. What conflict did Ramanujan return to?
(a) His parents with his in-laws.
(b) His wife and his mother.
(c) His mother and father.
(d) His father and the authorities.
14. Who was absent from the dock when Ramanujan's ship came in?
(a) His father.
(b) His wife.
(c) His friends.
(d) His mother.
15. What did Ramanujan say he was willing to do in order to come to England?
(a) Borrow money.
(b) Abandon his wife.
(c) Work for Hardy.
(d) Be cast out of his Brahmin class.
Short Answer Questions
1. What practice does Kanigel say Ramanujan had difficulty adjusting to in England?
2. What are partitions in math?
3. What did Hardy try to arrange after receiving Ramanujan's letter?
4. How does Kanigel describe Ramanujan's dress?
5. Based on his letter, what was Hardy trying to determine about Ramanujan?
This section contains 444 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)