|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where was Ramanujan's college located?
(a) A small town.
2. What does Kanigel say about Ramanujan's marriage?
(a) It had all the ingredients for a lovely match.
(b) There were omens of disaster.
(c) Both parties resisted it.
(d) It was seen as fortuitous.
3. How does Kanigel describe education at Hardy's college?
(a) Students worked with tutors instead of taking classes.
(b) Students followed their own inclination in study.
(c) Students worked together to make presentations to tutors.
(d) Students took a ferocious load of classes.
4. Who was G. H. Hardy?
(a) The mathematician who helped Ramanujan.
(b) Ramanujan's father-in-law.
(c) Ramanujan's boss.
(d) Ramanujan's Colorado-author.
5. Why did Ramanujan leave school?
(a) He was expelled.
(b) He completed the coursework.
(c) His family could not afford it without the scholarship.
(d) He got sick.
6. Where would Ramanujan's technique of solving math problems run into difficulty?
(a) With very large or very small numbers.
(b) With irrational numbers.
(c) With Pi.
(d) With multi-variable formulas.
7. Where did families NOT look for wives for their sons in India in Ramanujan's time?
(a) Prominent villagers.
(b) Friends of the family.
(c) Extended family.
8. How does Kanigel characterize Ramanujan's tutoring?
9. What did Hardy dislike about his secondary education?
(c) Emphasis on grades.
(d) Rigid discipline.
10. Who gave Ramanujan money to study in Madras?
(a) A relative.
(b) His in-laws.
(c) A patron.
(d) His parents.
11. What was Hardy's experience of secondary education like, according to Kanigel?
(a) It transformed him into an upstanding citizen.
(b) He passed through without distinction.
(c) He hated it.
(d) He loved it.
12. What was Ramanujan's religion?
13. For how long would Ramanujan's condition persist?
(a) A few weeks.
(b) The rest of his life.
(c) A few years.
(d) A few months.
14. What does Kanigel say Ramanujan learned from an old book?
(c) The theory of relativity.
(d) Analytic trigonometry.
15. What did Ramanujan attend at Pachaiyappas College?
(a) Math classes.
(b) Biology classes.
(c) Physics classes.
(d) Chemistry classes.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which person was NOT in the Bloomsbury Group?
2. Which god was Ramanujan's family devoted to?
3. Where did Ramanujan eventually find work?
4. How does Kanigel describe life in Ramanujan's hometown?
5. Who wrote 'A Synopsis of Elementary Results in Pure and Applied Mathematics'?
This section contains 402 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)