|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Ramanujan's parents find a wife for him?
(a) An orphanage.
(b) Uttar Pradesh.
(d) A nearby village.
2. What contributed to Ramanujan's status as a potential husband?
(a) He was fat.
(b) He was handsome.
(c) He was wealthy.
(d) He was monomaniacally interested in math.
3. How does Kanigel describe life in Ramanujan's hometown?
(a) A middle class was just emerging.
(b) People had every luxury.
(c) Crushing poverty was the norm.
(d) Childhood illness and death were common.
4. Where had the author of 'A Synopsis of Elementary Results in Pure and Applied Mathematics' taught?
5. What does Kanigel say about Ramanujan's marriage?
(a) There were omens of disaster.
(b) It was seen as fortuitous.
(c) Both parties resisted it.
(d) It had all the ingredients for a lovely match.
6. What was Ramanujan's caste?
7. What did Ramanujan practice as part of his religion?
(a) Animal sacrifice.
(b) A year as a monk.
(d) Community service.
8. What was Ramanujan's college's nickname?
(a) Oxford of South India.
(b) Cambridge of South India.
(c) The Bollytechnicum.
(d) Harvard of South India.
9. What is 'A Synopsis of Elementary Results in Pure and Applied Mathematics' composed of?
(a) A doctoral dissertation.
(b) Tutoring notes.
(c) A lifetime's work.
(d) Math problems.
10. Who are the Apostles?
(a) Religious figures in Rome.
(b) Disciples of Hardy's.
(d) A secret society at Cambridge.
11. What did Ramanujan attend at Pachaiyappas College?
(a) Physics classes.
(b) Math classes.
(c) Chemistry classes.
(d) Biology classes.
12. How does Kanigel describe Ramanujan's youth?
13. How does Kanigel characterize Ramanujan's developing approach to math?
14. How long after the wedding would it take before Janaki joined Ramanujan?
(a) Five years.
(b) Seven years.
(c) Nine years.
(d) Three years.
15. How does Kanigel describe Ramanujan's early temperament?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Hardy attend college?
2. How does Kanigel characterize Ramanujan's solutions to the math problems in 'A Synopsis of Elementary Results in Pure and Applied Mathematics'?
3. How does Kanigel describe Ramanujan as a potential husband?
4. What was Ramanujan's family's status?
5. Where was Ramanujan born?
This section contains 348 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)