|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Kanigel say Ramanujan disliked as a child?
(a) His family.
(b) Other children.
2. What did Ramanujan attend at Pachaiyappas College?
(a) Physics classes.
(b) Biology classes.
(c) Chemistry classes.
(d) Math classes.
3. Who were the Senior Wranglers?
(a) Students whose parents could not afford school on their own.
(b) Students who struggled.
(c) Students who played rugby or soccer/football.
(d) Academic celebrities.
4. What was Ramanujan like in school?
(a) He was a poor student.
(b) He excelled only in math.
(c) He was good at all his studies.
(d) He liked math and science, but not literature.
5. How does Kanigel describe Ramanujan's youth?
6. Which person was NOT in the Bloomsbury Group?
(a) John Maynard Keynes.
(b) James Joyce.
(c) G.E. Moore.
(d) Virginia Woolf.
7. How long after the wedding would it take before Janaki joined Ramanujan?
(a) Five years.
(b) Three years.
(c) Seven years.
(d) Nine years.
8. When was Ramanujan born?
9. What was Ramanujan's father's employment?
(a) Low-level clerk.
10. Who gave Ramanujan money to study in Madras?
(a) His in-laws.
(b) A relative.
(c) His parents.
(d) A patron.
11. How does Kanigel describe education at Hardy's college?
(a) Students worked together to make presentations to tutors.
(b) Students worked with tutors instead of taking classes.
(c) Students took a ferocious load of classes.
(d) Students followed their own inclination in study.
12. What is the British term for what Americans call private high schools?
(a) Private school.
(b) Public school.
(c) Technical school.
(d) Finishing school.
13. How does Kanigel describe the seriousness of Ramanujan's condition?
(a) Not life-threatening but uncomfortable.
14. What did Ramanujan need to do now that he was married?
(a) Buy a house.
(b) Make money.
(c) Contribute to his in-laws' income.
(d) Have children.
15. What does Kanigel say Ramanujan learned from an old book?
(a) The theory of relativity.
(d) Analytic trigonometry.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Ramanujan eventually find work?
2. What was G. H. Hardy's status in Britain?
3. Why was Ramanujan's scholarship changed?
4. Who was N. Ramanujachariar?
5. How does Kanigel characterize Ramanujan's tutoring?
This section contains 377 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)