|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the significance of Erode in Ramanujan's family?
(a) Where Ramanujan was buried.
(b) Ramanujan's hometown.
(c) Where Ramanujan went to school.
(d) Ramanujan's mother's ancestral home.
2. What language did Ramanujan speak?
3. How does Kanigel describe Ramanujan as a potential husband?
4. What does Kanigel say about Ramanujan's marriage?
(a) It was seen as fortuitous.
(b) Both parties resisted it.
(c) There were omens of disaster.
(d) It had all the ingredients for a lovely match.
5. What does Kanigel say people appreciated about Hardy?
(a) His wealth and taste.
(b) His irreverent sense of humor.
(c) His long lineage.
(d) His youthful beauty.
6. Why did Ramanujan leave school?
(a) He completed the coursework.
(b) He was expelled.
(c) His family could not afford it without the scholarship.
(d) He got sick.
7. What was Ramanujan's college's nickname?
(a) Cambridge of South India.
(b) Harvard of South India.
(c) The Bollytechnicum.
(d) Oxford of South India.
8. Who wrote 'A Synopsis of Elementary Results in Pure and Applied Mathematics'?
(a) William George Horner.
(b) Enrico Betti.
(c) Frank Nelson Cole.
(d) George Carr.
9. Where did Ramanujan eventually find work?
(a) A high school.
(b) He worked for his patron.
(c) His college.
(d) The British Indian Civil Service.
10. What was Ramanujan like in school?
(a) He was a poor student.
(b) He excelled only in math.
(c) He liked math and science, but not literature.
(d) He was good at all his studies.
11. When does Kanigel say Ramanujan got hold of 'A Synopsis of Elementary Results in Pure and Applied Mathematics'?
(a) At 16.
(b) At 19.
(c) At 13.
(d) At 10.
12. When did Ramanujan begin to speak?
(a) Two years.
(b) Eighteen months.
(c) One year.
(d) Three years.
13. What was Ramanujan's caste?
14. What does Kanigel say 'A Synopsis of Elementary Results in Pure and Applied Mathematics' is lacking?
(b) An answer key.
15. What did Ramanujan do while he waited for his wife?
(a) Live with his parents.
(b) Travel through Asia.
(c) Take a job in Madras.
(d) Travel South India.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where had the author of 'A Synopsis of Elementary Results in Pure and Applied Mathematics' taught?
2. What was Hardy's experience of secondary education like, according to Kanigel?
3. How does Kanigel describe Ramanujan's youth?
4. Where was Ramanujan's college located?
5. What makes 'A Synopsis of Elementary Results in Pure and Applied Mathematics' notable, according to Kanigel?
This section contains 419 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)