|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When did Ramanujan publish his first journal article?
2. When was Ramanujan born?
3. What did Ramanujan use as evidence of his credentials in interviews?
(a) Falsified diplomas.
(b) His resume.
(c) His math notebooks.
(d) His letters of reference.
4. What was uncommon about Ramanujan's physique?
(a) He had a humpback.
(b) He had a limp.
(c) He was overweight.
(d) He had six fingers on each hand.
5. Which god was Ramanujan's family devoted to?
6. Where did Ramanujan go when he was 17?
(d) Uttar Pradesh.
7. What was the effect of Ramanujan's childhood smallpox?
(a) A limp.
(c) Partial deafness.
(d) Spinal deformity.
8. Where did Ramanujan's parents find a wife for him?
(a) An orphanage.
(b) Uttar Pradesh.
(d) A nearby village.
9. When did the Tripos take place?
(a) After a student's second year.
(b) After a student's last year.
(c) After a student's third year.
(d) After a student's first year.
10. How does Kanigel characterize Ramanujan's first paper?
(b) Exciting but incomplete.
11. What does Kanigel say Ramanujan disliked as a child?
(a) His family.
(d) Other children.
12. When did Ramanujan begin to speak?
(a) One year.
(b) Three years.
(c) Eighteen months.
(d) Two years.
13. How does Kanigel say Hardy saw himself, first and foremost?
(a) As a religious leader.
(b) As a mathematician.
(c) As an artist.
(d) As a prophet.
14. What was G. H. Hardy's status in Britain?
(a) Head of a secret society in London.
(b) Religious leader.
(c) Dean of Cambridge.
(d) Preeminent mathematician.
15. When does Kanigel say Ramanujan got hold of 'A Synopsis of Elementary Results in Pure and Applied Mathematics'?
(a) At 16.
(b) At 19.
(c) At 13.
(d) At 10.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Kanigel say Ramanujan learned from an old book?
2. What class was Ramanujan raised in?
3. What were Ramanujan's parents getting impatient with?
4. How does Kanigel describe the seriousness of Ramanujan's condition?
5. What does Kanigel say people appreciated about Hardy?
This section contains 339 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)