Mid-Book Test - Easy
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When would Ramanujan and his wife consummate their marriage?
(a) As soon as she was chosen.
(b) Never--they were pledged to be chaste.
(c) It would depend on Ramanujan's career.
(d) When she was older.
2. What class was Ramanujan raised in?
(a) Maharashtra Brahmin.
(b) Pancha-Dravida Brahmin.
(c) Shaivite Brahmin.
(d) Pancha-Gauda Brahmin.
3. What did Ramanujan's parents do in response to their impatience?
(a) Apprentice him to a designer.
(b) Send him to school.
(c) Buy him a bureaucratic appointment.
(d) Marry him off.
4. How does Kanigel describe education at Hardy's college?
(a) Students worked with tutors instead of taking classes.
(b) Students took a ferocious load of classes.
(c) Students worked together to make presentations to tutors.
(d) Students followed their own inclination in study.
5. Where did Ramanujan eventually find work?
(a) His college.
(b) A high school.
(c) He worked for his patron.
(d) The British Indian Civil Service.
6. What language did Ramanujan speak?
7. Who are the Apostles?
(a) Religious figures in Rome.
(b) Disciples of Hardy's.
(d) A secret society at Cambridge.
8. How does Kanigel describe life in Ramanujan's hometown?
(a) A middle class was just emerging.
(b) People had every luxury.
(c) Childhood illness and death were common.
(d) Crushing poverty was the norm.
9. How does Kanigel describe Hardy?
(a) As a teacher.
(b) As a Brahmin.
(c) As a technical worker.
(d) As a laborer.
10. How does Kanigel characterize Ramanujan's solutions to the math problems in 'A Synopsis of Elementary Results in Pure and Applied Mathematics'?
(a) As frequently wrong.
(b) As odd.
(c) As flawless.
(d) As inconsistent.
11. What does Kanigel say Ramanujan disliked as a child?
(c) Other children.
(d) His family.
12. Who wrote 'A Synopsis of Elementary Results in Pure and Applied Mathematics'?
(a) Enrico Betti.
(b) George Carr.
(c) William George Horner.
(d) Frank Nelson Cole.
13. When did Ramanujan win a scholarship for his math skills?
(a) After middle school.
(b) After high school.
(c) After college.
(d) During high school.
14. Where was Ramanujan born?
(d) Uttar Pradesh.
15. When was Ramanujan born?
Short Answer Questions
1. What was uncommon about Ramanujan's physique?
2. What does Kanigel say Ramanujan did at age 17?
3. Why did Hardy need to excel on the entrance exams for secondary education?
4. How does Kanigel describe Ramanujan as a potential husband?
5. What is 'A Synopsis of Elementary Results in Pure and Applied Mathematics' composed of?
This section contains 430 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)