|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was uncommon about Ramanujan's physique?
(a) He had a humpback.
(b) He had six fingers on each hand.
(c) He was overweight.
(d) He had a limp.
2. What contributed to Ramanujan's status as a potential husband?
(a) He was monomaniacally interested in math.
(b) He was handsome.
(c) He was wealthy.
(d) He was fat.
3. Which person was NOT in the Bloomsbury Group?
(a) Virginia Woolf.
(b) James Joyce.
(c) G.E. Moore.
(d) John Maynard Keynes.
4. Who is Namagiri?
(a) Ramanujan's chess teacher.
(b) Ramanujan's family's traditional deity.
(c) Shiva's consort.
(d) Ramanujan's religious teacher.
5. How long after the wedding would it take before Janaki joined Ramanujan?
(a) Seven years.
(b) Nine years.
(c) Three years.
(d) Five years.
6. Who were the Senior Wranglers?
(a) Students whose parents could not afford school on their own.
(b) Academic celebrities.
(c) Students who struggled.
(d) Students who played rugby or soccer/football.
7. How does Kanigel characterize Ramanujan's first paper?
(d) Exciting but incomplete.
8. Where did graduates from Hardy's secondary school typically go to college?
(b) University College.
(d) New College.
9. Where did Ramanujan publish his first journal article?
(a) An Italian mathematics journal.
(b) An Indian mathematics journal.
(c) An American mathematics journal.
(d) An English mathematics journal.
10. Where did Hardy get his secondary education?
(a) St. Alban's.
11. What were Ramanujan's parents getting impatient with?
(a) Ramanujan's sloth.
(b) Ramanujan's scribbling in notebooks.
(c) Ramanujan's insubordination.
(d) Ramanujan's failure to win prizes.
12. What class was Ramanujan raised in?
(a) Shaivite Brahmin.
(b) Pancha-Gauda Brahmin.
(c) Pancha-Dravida Brahmin.
(d) Maharashtra Brahmin.
13. How does Kanigel characterize Ramanujan's tutoring?
14. Who are the Apostles?
(a) Religious figures in Rome.
(c) A secret society at Cambridge.
(d) Disciples of Hardy's.
15. Where did Ramanujan eventually find work?
(a) His college.
(b) He worked for his patron.
(c) The British Indian Civil Service.
(d) A high school.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was Komalatammal?
2. What distinguished Ramanujan's class?
3. What did Ramanujan do while he waited for his wife?
4. When did the Tripos take place?
5. What was Ramanujan's college's nickname?
This section contains 369 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)