|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who were the Senior Wranglers?
(a) Students who struggled.
(b) Students whose parents could not afford school on their own.
(c) Academic celebrities.
(d) Students who played rugby or soccer/football.
2. Where would Ramanujan's technique of solving math problems run into difficulty?
(a) With multi-variable formulas.
(b) With Pi.
(c) With very large or very small numbers.
(d) With irrational numbers.
3. Where did Hardy attend college?
4. Where was Ramanujan born?
(d) Uttar Pradesh.
5. What was uncommon about Ramanujan's physique?
(a) He had six fingers on each hand.
(b) He had a limp.
(c) He had a humpback.
(d) He was overweight.
6. What was Ramanujan's college's nickname?
(a) Cambridge of South India.
(b) Harvard of South India.
(c) The Bollytechnicum.
(d) Oxford of South India.
7. What happened to Ramanujan's scholarship?
(a) It was jeopardized by Ramanujan's poor grades.
(b) It was renewed for four years.
(c) It was withdrawn.
(d) It was expanded to his graduate study.
8. How does Kanigel describe Ramanujan's youth?
9. What did Ramanujan do while he waited for his wife?
(a) Travel South India.
(b) Live with his parents.
(c) Travel through Asia.
(d) Take a job in Madras.
10. What was Ramanujan's father's employment?
(b) Low-level clerk.
11. What does Kanigel say Ramanujan disliked as a child?
(b) His family.
(d) Other children.
12. What interrupted Ramanujan's wedding?
(a) A deranged woman.
(b) Drunken relatives.
(c) A fight.
(d) Objections from the girl's family.
13. How does Kanigel describe Ramanujan as a potential husband?
14. What was Hardy's experience of secondary education like, according to Kanigel?
(a) It transformed him into an upstanding citizen.
(b) He passed through without distinction.
(c) He loved it.
(d) He hated it.
15. Who comprised the Apostles?
(a) Practicing artists.
(b) Religious leaders.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was the wife Ramanujan's parents found?
2. How does Kanigel describe education at Hardy's college?
3. How does Kanigel describe Ramanujan's early temperament?
4. What did Ramanujan contract from a mosquito-borne disease?
5. Who wrote 'A Synopsis of Elementary Results in Pure and Applied Mathematics'?
This section contains 366 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)