|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When would Ramanujan and his wife consummate their marriage?
(a) When she was older.
(b) Never--they were pledged to be chaste.
(c) It would depend on Ramanujan's career.
(d) As soon as she was chosen.
2. Where did Ramanujan publish his first journal article?
(a) An Indian mathematics journal.
(b) An Italian mathematics journal.
(c) An American mathematics journal.
(d) An English mathematics journal.
3. What does Kanigel say Ramanujan learned from an old book?
(b) Analytic trigonometry.
(d) The theory of relativity.
4. How does Kanigel characterize Ramanujan's tutoring?
5. What did Ramanujan need to do now that he was married?
(a) Buy a house.
(b) Contribute to his in-laws' income.
(c) Make money.
(d) Have children.
6. How does Kanigel characterize Ramanujan's solutions to the math problems in 'A Synopsis of Elementary Results in Pure and Applied Mathematics'?
(a) As inconsistent.
(b) As frequently wrong.
(c) As flawless.
(d) As odd.
7. Why was Ramanujan's scholarship changed?
(a) Because of his womanizing.
(b) Because of his rowdy behavior.
(c) Because of his progress in all his fields.
(d) Because he neglected his studies aside from math.
8. Where did families NOT look for wives for their sons in India in Ramanujan's time?
(a) Prominent villagers.
(b) Extended family.
(c) Friends of the family.
9. What was G. H. Hardy's status in Britain?
(a) Dean of Cambridge.
(b) Religious leader.
(c) Head of a secret society in London.
(d) Preeminent mathematician.
10. What class was Ramanujan raised in?
(a) Maharashtra Brahmin.
(b) Pancha-Dravida Brahmin.
(c) Shaivite Brahmin.
(d) Pancha-Gauda Brahmin.
11. What did Ramanujan practice as part of his religion?
(a) A year as a monk.
(c) Animal sacrifice.
(d) Community service.
12. How does Kanigel describe education at Hardy's college?
(a) Students followed their own inclination in study.
(b) Students worked with tutors instead of taking classes.
(c) Students worked together to make presentations to tutors.
(d) Students took a ferocious load of classes.
13. How old was the wife Ramanujan's parents found?
14. What was the effect of Ramanujan's childhood smallpox?
(a) Spinal deformity.
(b) A limp.
(c) Partial deafness.
15. Who are the Apostles?
(b) Religious figures in Rome.
(c) Disciples of Hardy's.
(d) A secret society at Cambridge.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who were the Senior Wranglers?
2. Where had the author of 'A Synopsis of Elementary Results in Pure and Applied Mathematics' taught?
3. For how long would Ramanujan's condition persist?
4. How does Kanigel characterize Ramanujan's first paper?
5. What energy does Kanigel say Ramanujan redirected into mathematics?
This section contains 420 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)