|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Ramanujan attend at Pachaiyappas College?
(a) Physics classes.
(b) Chemistry classes.
(c) Math classes.
(d) Biology classes.
2. Who comprised the Apostles?
(a) Religious leaders.
(c) Practicing artists.
3. Who are the Apostles?
(a) Disciples of Hardy's.
(b) Religious figures in Rome.
(c) A secret society at Cambridge.
4. What is the British term for what Americans call private high schools?
(a) Private school.
(b) Public school.
(c) Technical school.
(d) Finishing school.
5. Who were the Senior Wranglers?
(a) Students whose parents could not afford school on their own.
(b) Students who played rugby or soccer/football.
(c) Students who struggled.
(d) Academic celebrities.
6. What was Ramanujan's religion?
7. Where did Ramanujan go when he was 17?
(c) Uttar Pradesh.
8. Where was Ramanujan born?
(a) Uttar Pradesh.
9. What was Ramanujan's father's employment?
(d) Low-level clerk.
10. How does Kanigel say Ramanujan would solve math problems?
(a) By turning values into variables.
(b) By solving one part at a time.
(c) He would intuit the solution.
(d) By adding numbers to formulas.
11. When did Ramanujan begin to speak?
(a) One year.
(b) Eighteen months.
(c) Two years.
(d) Three years.
12. What makes 'A Synopsis of Elementary Results in Pure and Applied Mathematics' notable, according to Kanigel?
(a) The dissertation does not have a conclusion.
(b) The problems do not have solutions.
(c) There is no explanation to the problems.
(d) The theorems do not have examples.
13. Who wrote 'A Synopsis of Elementary Results in Pure and Applied Mathematics'?
(a) William George Horner.
(b) Enrico Betti.
(c) Frank Nelson Cole.
(d) George Carr.
14. Where did Hardy attend college?
15. How does Kanigel describe Ramanujan's early temperament?
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Kanigel characterize Ramanujan's solutions to the math problems in 'A Synopsis of Elementary Results in Pure and Applied Mathematics'?
2. Where did families NOT look for wives for their sons in India in Ramanujan's time?
3. Who gave Ramanujan money to study in Madras?
4. When would Ramanujan and his wife consummate their marriage?
5. What was the effect of Ramanujan's childhood smallpox?
This section contains 373 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)