|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why was Ramanujan's scholarship changed?
(a) Because of his womanizing.
(b) Because he neglected his studies aside from math.
(c) Because of his rowdy behavior.
(d) Because of his progress in all his fields.
2. Where did Ramanujan's parents find a wife for him?
(a) An orphanage.
(c) Uttar Pradesh.
(d) A nearby village.
3. Who gave Ramanujan money to study in Madras?
(a) A relative.
(b) A patron.
(c) His parents.
(d) His in-laws.
4. Where did families NOT look for wives for their sons in India in Ramanujan's time?
(a) Extended family.
(c) Prominent villagers.
(d) Friends of the family.
5. What was uncommon about Ramanujan's physique?
(a) He had six fingers on each hand.
(b) He had a humpback.
(c) He had a limp.
(d) He was overweight.
6. Why was Ramanujan late for his wedding?
(a) His train was held up.
(b) He became sick.
(c) He ran away and had to be caught.
(d) His parents had to argue him into getting married.
7. What did Ramanujan practice as part of his religion?
(b) Community service.
(c) A year as a monk.
(d) Animal sacrifice.
8. Where was Ramanujan's college located?
(c) A small town.
9. What is the British term for what Americans call private high schools?
(a) Public school.
(b) Finishing school.
(c) Private school.
(d) Technical school.
10. What makes 'A Synopsis of Elementary Results in Pure and Applied Mathematics' notable, according to Kanigel?
(a) The problems do not have solutions.
(b) The theorems do not have examples.
(c) The dissertation does not have a conclusion.
(d) There is no explanation to the problems.
11. Who were the Senior Wranglers?
(a) Students whose parents could not afford school on their own.
(b) Academic celebrities.
(c) Students who struggled.
(d) Students who played rugby or soccer/football.
12. What does Kanigel say 'A Synopsis of Elementary Results in Pure and Applied Mathematics' is lacking?
(c) An answer key.
13. What energy does Kanigel say Ramanujan redirected into mathematics?
(b) Religious devotion.
(c) Political restlessness.
(d) Sexual desire.
14. What were Ramanujan's parents getting impatient with?
(a) Ramanujan's sloth.
(b) Ramanujan's scribbling in notebooks.
(c) Ramanujan's failure to win prizes.
(d) Ramanujan's insubordination.
15. What did Hardy dislike about his secondary education?
(a) Rigid discipline.
(d) Emphasis on grades.
Short Answer Questions
1. What were the Tripos?
2. What did Ramanujan's parents do in response to their impatience?
3. Where was Ramanujan born?
4. How long after the wedding would it take before Janaki joined Ramanujan?
5. Who was G. H. Hardy?
This section contains 420 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)