|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Kanigel say Hardy saw himself, first and foremost?
(a) As a prophet.
(b) As an artist.
(c) As a mathematician.
(d) As a religious leader.
2. What were the Tripos?
(a) Physical evaluations.
(b) Oral exams.
(c) Written exams.
(d) A secret society.
3. Where did graduates from Hardy's secondary school typically go to college?
(b) New College.
(d) University College.
4. When did Ramanujan begin to speak?
(a) Eighteen months.
(b) One year.
(c) Two years.
(d) Three years.
5. Why was Ramanujan's scholarship changed?
(a) Because of his rowdy behavior.
(b) Because of his progress in all his fields.
(c) Because of his womanizing.
(d) Because he neglected his studies aside from math.
6. How does Kanigel describe Ramanujan's youth?
7. What was Hardy's experience of secondary education like, according to Kanigel?
(a) It transformed him into an upstanding citizen.
(b) He loved it.
(c) He passed through without distinction.
(d) He hated it.
8. How does Kanigel describe Hardy?
(a) As a technical worker.
(b) As a Brahmin.
(c) As a laborer.
(d) As a teacher.
9. What was the significance of Erode in Ramanujan's family?
(a) Where Ramanujan was buried.
(b) Where Ramanujan went to school.
(c) Ramanujan's mother's ancestral home.
(d) Ramanujan's hometown.
10. What did Ramanujan do while he waited for his wife?
(a) Take a job in Madras.
(b) Travel South India.
(c) Travel through Asia.
(d) Live with his parents.
11. What does Kanigel say Ramanujan learned from an old book?
(b) The theory of relativity.
(d) Analytic trigonometry.
12. What does Kanigel say Ramanujan disliked as a child?
(a) His family.
(b) Other children.
13. When does Kanigel say Ramanujan got hold of 'A Synopsis of Elementary Results in Pure and Applied Mathematics'?
(a) At 13.
(b) At 19.
(c) At 16.
(d) At 10.
14. What energy does Kanigel say Ramanujan redirected into mathematics?
(b) Sexual desire.
(c) Political restlessness.
(d) Religious devotion.
15. What was the effect of Ramanujan's childhood smallpox?
(a) Partial deafness.
(b) Spinal deformity.
(c) A limp.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Ramanujan's college's nickname?
2. Who gave Ramanujan money to study in Madras?
3. Where did Ramanujan's parents find a wife for him?
4. How does Kanigel describe the skills Ramanujan got from 'A Synopsis of Elementary Results in Pure and Applied Mathematics'?
5. How does Kanigel describe the seriousness of Ramanujan's condition?
This section contains 380 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)