|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why was Ramanujan's scholarship changed?
(a) Because he neglected his studies aside from math.
(b) Because of his rowdy behavior.
(c) Because of his progress in all his fields.
(d) Because of his womanizing.
2. What was the significance of Erode in Ramanujan's family?
(a) Ramanujan's hometown.
(b) Where Ramanujan was buried.
(c) Where Ramanujan went to school.
(d) Ramanujan's mother's ancestral home.
3. What does Kanigel say Ramanujan learned from an old book?
(b) The theory of relativity.
(d) Analytic trigonometry.
4. How does Kanigel describe Ramanujan's youth?
5. What is 'A Synopsis of Elementary Results in Pure and Applied Mathematics' composed of?
(a) A doctoral dissertation.
(b) Math problems.
(c) Tutoring notes.
(d) A lifetime's work.
6. Where did Ramanujan go when he was 17?
(d) Uttar Pradesh.
7. Which person was NOT in the Bloomsbury Group?
(a) John Maynard Keynes.
(b) James Joyce.
(c) G.E. Moore.
(d) Virginia Woolf.
8. What is a nested square root?
(a) A series of square roots that resolve to prime numbers.
(b) A series of square roots of square roots.
(c) The framework of assumptions within which a series of square roots resolves to a negative number.
(d) An infinite series of square roots.
9. What was Hardy's experience of secondary education like, according to Kanigel?
(a) He loved it.
(b) It transformed him into an upstanding citizen.
(c) He hated it.
(d) He passed through without distinction.
10. How does Kanigel describe the seriousness of Ramanujan's condition?
(a) Not life-threatening but uncomfortable.
11. For how long would Ramanujan's condition persist?
(a) The rest of his life.
(b) A few months.
(c) A few years.
(d) A few weeks.
12. How does Kanigel characterize Ramanujan's solutions to the math problems in 'A Synopsis of Elementary Results in Pure and Applied Mathematics'?
(a) As frequently wrong.
(b) As odd.
(c) As flawless.
(d) As inconsistent.
13. How old was the wife Ramanujan's parents found?
14. What does Kanigel say 'A Synopsis of Elementary Results in Pure and Applied Mathematics' is lacking?
(d) An answer key.
15. Who is Namagiri?
(a) Ramanujan's chess teacher.
(b) Ramanujan's religious teacher.
(c) Shiva's consort.
(d) Ramanujan's family's traditional deity.
Short Answer Questions
1. What contributed to Ramanujan's status as a potential husband?
2. Where was Ramanujan's college located?
3. How does Kanigel say Ramanujan would solve math problems?
4. Who was G. H. Hardy?
5. What language did Ramanujan speak?
This section contains 414 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)