|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When did the Tripos take place?
(a) After a student's third year.
(b) After a student's last year.
(c) After a student's first year.
(d) After a student's second year.
2. How does Kanigel describe the skills Ramanujan got from 'A Synopsis of Elementary Results in Pure and Applied Mathematics'?
3. Where had the author of 'A Synopsis of Elementary Results in Pure and Applied Mathematics' taught?
4. What did Hardy dislike about his secondary education?
(b) Emphasis on grades.
(c) Rigid discipline.
5. How does Kanigel describe the seriousness of Ramanujan's condition?
(c) Not life-threatening but uncomfortable.
6. Why did Hardy need to excel on the entrance exams for secondary education?
(a) Admissions were extremely competitive.
(b) His family could not afford the best schools.
(c) Testing was the sole criterion for admission.
(d) He would have low status at school if his test scores were low.
7. What was the effect of Ramanujan's childhood smallpox?
(a) A limp.
(b) Spinal deformity.
(c) Partial deafness.
8. What was Ramanujan's family's status?
(b) Not very rich.
9. When did Ramanujan win a scholarship for his math skills?
(a) After high school.
(b) During high school.
(c) After college.
(d) After middle school.
10. What does Kanigel say Ramanujan learned from an old book?
(a) Analytic trigonometry.
(c) The theory of relativity.
11. What does Kanigel say 'A Synopsis of Elementary Results in Pure and Applied Mathematics' is lacking?
(c) An answer key.
12. What was Ramanujan's religion?
13. What was G. H. Hardy's status in Britain?
(a) Preeminent mathematician.
(b) Dean of Cambridge.
(c) Religious leader.
(d) Head of a secret society in London.
14. What did Ramanujan use as evidence of his credentials in interviews?
(a) His math notebooks.
(b) His resume.
(c) His letters of reference.
(d) Falsified diplomas.
15. Where was Ramanujan born?
(a) Uttar Pradesh.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Ramanujan's college's nickname?
2. Why was Ramanujan late for his wedding?
3. What was Ramanujan's caste?
4. When did Ramanujan publish his first journal article?
5. Where would Ramanujan's technique of solving math problems run into difficulty?
This section contains 386 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)