|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where was Ramanujan's college located?
(c) A small town.
2. What were the Tripos?
(a) Physical evaluations.
(b) Oral exams.
(c) Written exams.
(d) A secret society.
3. What did Ramanujan use as evidence of his credentials in interviews?
(a) His resume.
(b) His math notebooks.
(c) His letters of reference.
(d) Falsified diplomas.
4. How does Kanigel characterize Ramanujan's solutions to the math problems in 'A Synopsis of Elementary Results in Pure and Applied Mathematics'?
(a) As frequently wrong.
(b) As flawless.
(c) As inconsistent.
(d) As odd.
5. What does Kanigel say about Ramanujan's marriage?
(a) It had all the ingredients for a lovely match.
(b) It was seen as fortuitous.
(c) Both parties resisted it.
(d) There were omens of disaster.
6. What class was Ramanujan raised in?
(a) Shaivite Brahmin.
(b) Pancha-Dravida Brahmin.
(c) Maharashtra Brahmin.
(d) Pancha-Gauda Brahmin.
7. Who comprised the Apostles?
(c) Practicing artists.
(d) Religious leaders.
8. When did Ramanujan begin to speak?
(a) Two years.
(b) One year.
(c) Three years.
(d) Eighteen months.
9. How does Kanigel characterize Ramanujan's tutoring?
10. What was Ramanujan's religion?
11. How does Kanigel describe Hardy?
(a) As a Brahmin.
(b) As a teacher.
(c) As a technical worker.
(d) As a laborer.
12. How does Kanigel characterize Ramanujan's developing approach to math?
13. Where did Hardy get his secondary education?
(a) St. Alban's.
14. What was uncommon about Ramanujan's physique?
(a) He had six fingers on each hand.
(b) He had a limp.
(c) He was overweight.
(d) He had a humpback.
15. What was Ramanujan's family's status?
(c) Not very rich.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was Ramanujan born?
2. What happened to Ramanujan's scholarship?
3. Why was Ramanujan late for his wedding?
4. Why did Ramanujan leave school?
5. When was Ramanujan born?
This section contains 337 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)