|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Kanigel describe life in Ramanujan's hometown?
(a) A middle class was just emerging.
(b) Childhood illness and death were common.
(c) People had every luxury.
(d) Crushing poverty was the norm.
2. How does Kanigel describe Ramanujan as a potential husband?
3. How does Kanigel describe the skills Ramanujan got from 'A Synopsis of Elementary Results in Pure and Applied Mathematics'?
4. What was Hardy's experience of secondary education like, according to Kanigel?
(a) He passed through without distinction.
(b) He loved it.
(c) It transformed him into an upstanding citizen.
(d) He hated it.
5. What did Ramanujan contract from a mosquito-borne disease?
(a) Partial deafness.
(b) Swelling in his scrotum.
(c) A limp.
6. What did Ramanujan use as evidence of his credentials in interviews?
(a) His math notebooks.
(b) His resume.
(c) His letters of reference.
(d) Falsified diplomas.
7. Where did Hardy get his secondary education?
(a) St. Alban's.
8. Which person was NOT in the Bloomsbury Group?
(a) G.E. Moore.
(b) James Joyce.
(c) Virginia Woolf.
(d) John Maynard Keynes.
9. What does Kanigel say Ramanujan disliked as a child?
(c) Other children.
(d) His family.
10. How does Kanigel say Hardy saw himself, first and foremost?
(a) As a religious leader.
(b) As a mathematician.
(c) As a prophet.
(d) As an artist.
11. What happened to Ramanujan's scholarship?
(a) It was expanded to his graduate study.
(b) It was jeopardized by Ramanujan's poor grades.
(c) It was withdrawn.
(d) It was renewed for four years.
12. What makes 'A Synopsis of Elementary Results in Pure and Applied Mathematics' notable, according to Kanigel?
(a) The dissertation does not have a conclusion.
(b) The problems do not have solutions.
(c) The theorems do not have examples.
(d) There is no explanation to the problems.
13. What does Kanigel say Ramanujan did at age 17?
(a) Graduated high school.
(b) Graduated college.
(c) Ran away from home.
(d) Got married.
14. Why was Ramanujan's scholarship changed?
(a) Because of his progress in all his fields.
(b) Because he neglected his studies aside from math.
(c) Because of his womanizing.
(d) Because of his rowdy behavior.
15. What was Ramanujan's religion?
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Ramanujan's caste?
2. Where did Ramanujan eventually find work?
3. How does Kanigel characterize Ramanujan's tutoring?
4. When did Ramanujan publish his first journal article?
5. What energy does Kanigel say Ramanujan redirected into mathematics?
This section contains 391 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)