|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Ramanujan attend at Pachaiyappas College?
(a) Math classes.
(b) Physics classes.
(c) Chemistry classes.
(d) Biology classes.
2. What happened to Ramanujan's scholarship?
(a) It was jeopardized by Ramanujan's poor grades.
(b) It was withdrawn.
(c) It was renewed for four years.
(d) It was expanded to his graduate study.
3. What did parents see when they looked at Ramanujan as a prospective husband?
(a) A well-connected man.
(b) A criminal.
(c) An unemployed man.
(d) A genius.
4. Who was G. H. Hardy?
(a) Ramanujan's father-in-law.
(b) The mathematician who helped Ramanujan.
(c) Ramanujan's Colorado-author.
(d) Ramanujan's boss.
5. What was G. H. Hardy's status in Britain?
(a) Head of a secret society in London.
(b) Religious leader.
(c) Dean of Cambridge.
(d) Preeminent mathematician.
6. When does Kanigel say Ramanujan got hold of 'A Synopsis of Elementary Results in Pure and Applied Mathematics'?
(a) At 13.
(b) At 10.
(c) At 16.
(d) At 19.
7. When did Ramanujan win a scholarship for his math skills?
(a) After middle school.
(b) During high school.
(c) After college.
(d) After high school.
8. How does Kanigel describe Ramanujan's youth?
9. What does Kanigel say people appreciated about Hardy?
(a) His wealth and taste.
(b) His irreverent sense of humor.
(c) His long lineage.
(d) His youthful beauty.
10. How long after the wedding would it take before Janaki joined Ramanujan?
(a) Nine years.
(b) Three years.
(c) Five years.
(d) Seven years.
11. Which god was Ramanujan's family devoted to?
12. Where did Ramanujan publish his first journal article?
(a) An English mathematics journal.
(b) An American mathematics journal.
(c) An Italian mathematics journal.
(d) An Indian mathematics journal.
13. What makes 'A Synopsis of Elementary Results in Pure and Applied Mathematics' notable, according to Kanigel?
(a) The problems do not have solutions.
(b) There is no explanation to the problems.
(c) The theorems do not have examples.
(d) The dissertation does not have a conclusion.
14. When did Ramanujan begin to speak?
(a) Eighteen months.
(b) Three years.
(c) Two years.
(d) One year.
15. When did Ramanujan publish his first journal article?
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Ramanujan's father's employment?
2. What contributed to Ramanujan's status as a potential husband?
3. What did Ramanujan practice as part of his religion?
4. Who was N. Ramanujachariar?
5. What does Kanigel say Ramanujan learned from an old book?
This section contains 383 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)