|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Kanigel say Ramanujan did at age 17?
(a) Ran away from home.
(b) Got married.
(c) Graduated high school.
(d) Graduated college.
2. What happened to Ramanujan's scholarship?
(a) It was jeopardized by Ramanujan's poor grades.
(b) It was expanded to his graduate study.
(c) It was withdrawn.
(d) It was renewed for four years.
3. How does Kanigel describe the skills Ramanujan got from 'A Synopsis of Elementary Results in Pure and Applied Mathematics'?
4. What does Kanigel say 'A Synopsis of Elementary Results in Pure and Applied Mathematics' is lacking?
(c) An answer key.
5. What were Ramanujan's parents getting impatient with?
(a) Ramanujan's failure to win prizes.
(b) Ramanujan's insubordination.
(c) Ramanujan's sloth.
(d) Ramanujan's scribbling in notebooks.
6. What is a nested square root?
(a) The framework of assumptions within which a series of square roots resolves to a negative number.
(b) A series of square roots that resolve to prime numbers.
(c) An infinite series of square roots.
(d) A series of square roots of square roots.
7. What did Ramanujan's parents do in response to their impatience?
(a) Marry him off.
(b) Apprentice him to a designer.
(c) Send him to school.
(d) Buy him a bureaucratic appointment.
8. What were the Tripos?
(a) Physical evaluations.
(b) A secret society.
(c) Oral exams.
(d) Written exams.
9. How does Kanigel say Ramanujan would solve math problems?
(a) By solving one part at a time.
(b) By turning values into variables.
(c) By adding numbers to formulas.
(d) He would intuit the solution.
10. Where did families NOT look for wives for their sons in India in Ramanujan's time?
(b) Extended family.
(c) Friends of the family.
(d) Prominent villagers.
11. What energy does Kanigel say Ramanujan redirected into mathematics?
(a) Political restlessness.
(b) Sexual desire.
(c) Religious devotion.
12. What was Ramanujan's family's status?
(a) Not very rich.
13. What does Kanigel say Ramanujan learned from an old book?
(a) The theory of relativity.
(c) Analytic trigonometry.
14. What was G. H. Hardy's status in Britain?
(a) Head of a secret society in London.
(b) Religious leader.
(c) Dean of Cambridge.
(d) Preeminent mathematician.
15. What was the significance of Erode in Ramanujan's family?
(a) Ramanujan's mother's ancestral home.
(b) Ramanujan's hometown.
(c) Where Ramanujan was buried.
(d) Where Ramanujan went to school.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Ramanujan's parents find a wife for him?
2. What was Ramanujan's religion?
3. Where did Ramanujan eventually find work?
4. What does Kanigel say Ramanujan disliked as a child?
5. What was Ramanujan's father's employment?
This section contains 415 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)