|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the British term for what Americans call private high schools?
(a) Technical school.
(b) Private school.
(c) Finishing school.
(d) Public school.
2. Where did Ramanujan go when he was 17?
(a) Uttar Pradesh.
3. How does Kanigel describe the skills Ramanujan got from 'A Synopsis of Elementary Results in Pure and Applied Mathematics'?
4. Who is Namagiri?
(a) Ramanujan's family's traditional deity.
(b) Ramanujan's chess teacher.
(c) Ramanujan's religious teacher.
(d) Shiva's consort.
5. What was Ramanujan's father's employment?
(c) Low-level clerk.
6. Where was Ramanujan born?
(b) Uttar Pradesh.
7. Who are the Apostles?
(a) Disciples of Hardy's.
(b) A secret society at Cambridge.
(c) Religious figures in Rome.
8. What was Ramanujan's caste?
9. How does Kanigel describe Hardy?
(a) As a laborer.
(b) As a teacher.
(c) As a technical worker.
(d) As a Brahmin.
10. How old was the wife Ramanujan's parents found?
11. How does Kanigel characterize Ramanujan's solutions to the math problems in 'A Synopsis of Elementary Results in Pure and Applied Mathematics'?
(a) As flawless.
(b) As inconsistent.
(c) As odd.
(d) As frequently wrong.
12. What did Ramanujan's parents do in response to their impatience?
(a) Buy him a bureaucratic appointment.
(b) Send him to school.
(c) Marry him off.
(d) Apprentice him to a designer.
13. Where did Hardy attend college?
14. How does Kanigel characterize Ramanujan's developing approach to math?
15. Where did graduates from Hardy's secondary school typically go to college?
(a) University College.
(b) New College.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Hardy dislike about his secondary education?
2. What does Kanigel say Ramanujan disliked as a child?
3. What distinguished Ramanujan's class?
4. How does Kanigel describe education at Hardy's college?
5. What was Ramanujan's religion?
This section contains 324 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)