|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Ramanujan leave school?
(a) He was expelled.
(b) His family could not afford it without the scholarship.
(c) He completed the coursework.
(d) He got sick.
2. Where did Hardy attend college?
3. Which god was Ramanujan's family devoted to?
4. Why was Ramanujan late for his wedding?
(a) He ran away and had to be caught.
(b) He became sick.
(c) His parents had to argue him into getting married.
(d) His train was held up.
5. Which person was NOT in the Bloomsbury Group?
(a) G.E. Moore.
(b) James Joyce.
(c) Virginia Woolf.
(d) John Maynard Keynes.
6. How does Kanigel describe the skills Ramanujan got from 'A Synopsis of Elementary Results in Pure and Applied Mathematics'?
7. Why did Hardy need to excel on the entrance exams for secondary education?
(a) He would have low status at school if his test scores were low.
(b) Testing was the sole criterion for admission.
(c) His family could not afford the best schools.
(d) Admissions were extremely competitive.
8. What does Kanigel say people appreciated about Hardy?
(a) His wealth and taste.
(b) His youthful beauty.
(c) His irreverent sense of humor.
(d) His long lineage.
9. Where did Ramanujan go when he was 17?
(d) Uttar Pradesh.
10. Who comprised the Apostles?
(b) Religious leaders.
(d) Practicing artists.
11. What is the British term for what Americans call private high schools?
(a) Technical school.
(b) Private school.
(c) Finishing school.
(d) Public school.
12. Where did graduates from Hardy's secondary school typically go to college?
(b) University College.
(c) New College.
13. What was Ramanujan's religion?
14. Where did Ramanujan eventually find work?
(a) He worked for his patron.
(b) His college.
(c) The British Indian Civil Service.
(d) A high school.
15. Where did Ramanujan publish his first journal article?
(a) An Indian mathematics journal.
(b) An American mathematics journal.
(c) An Italian mathematics journal.
(d) An English mathematics journal.
Short Answer Questions
1. What were the Tripos?
2. What is a nested square root?
3. Who was N. Ramanujachariar?
4. Where did families NOT look for wives for their sons in India in Ramanujan's time?
5. Who was G. H. Hardy?
This section contains 409 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)