|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When did the Tripos take place?
(a) After a student's first year.
(b) After a student's third year.
(c) After a student's second year.
(d) After a student's last year.
2. What is the British term for what Americans call private high schools?
(a) Technical school.
(b) Finishing school.
(c) Public school.
(d) Private school.
3. When did Ramanujan publish his first journal article?
4. What did Ramanujan's parents do in response to their impatience?
(a) Buy him a bureaucratic appointment.
(b) Apprentice him to a designer.
(c) Marry him off.
(d) Send him to school.
5. What was Ramanujan's college's nickname?
(a) Cambridge of South India.
(b) Oxford of South India.
(c) The Bollytechnicum.
(d) Harvard of South India.
6. What does Kanigel say people appreciated about Hardy?
(a) His long lineage.
(b) His irreverent sense of humor.
(c) His wealth and taste.
(d) His youthful beauty.
7. How does Kanigel describe Ramanujan as a potential husband?
8. What were the Tripos?
(a) A secret society.
(b) Written exams.
(c) Physical evaluations.
(d) Oral exams.
9. What did Ramanujan need to do now that he was married?
(a) Have children.
(b) Make money.
(c) Buy a house.
(d) Contribute to his in-laws' income.
10. Which person was NOT in the Bloomsbury Group?
(a) John Maynard Keynes.
(b) G.E. Moore.
(c) Virginia Woolf.
(d) James Joyce.
11. What did parents see when they looked at Ramanujan as a prospective husband?
(a) An unemployed man.
(b) A well-connected man.
(c) A criminal.
(d) A genius.
12. How does Kanigel characterize Ramanujan's tutoring?
13. What did Ramanujan attend at Pachaiyappas College?
(a) Biology classes.
(b) Chemistry classes.
(c) Physics classes.
(d) Math classes.
14. What was Ramanujan's religion?
15. Who were the Senior Wranglers?
(a) Students who played rugby or soccer/football.
(b) Students who struggled.
(c) Academic celebrities.
(d) Students whose parents could not afford school on their own.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Ramanujan practice as part of his religion?
2. How does Kanigel say Hardy saw himself, first and foremost?
3. Who comprised the Apostles?
4. How does Kanigel characterize Ramanujan's first paper?
5. Who was G. H. Hardy?
This section contains 354 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)