|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where was Ramanujan born?
(a) Uttar Pradesh.
2. What did Ramanujan use as evidence of his credentials in interviews?
(a) His letters of reference.
(b) Falsified diplomas.
(c) His math notebooks.
(d) His resume.
3. Who is Namagiri?
(a) Ramanujan's chess teacher.
(b) Shiva's consort.
(c) Ramanujan's religious teacher.
(d) Ramanujan's family's traditional deity.
4. How does Kanigel describe Hardy?
(a) As a teacher.
(b) As a technical worker.
(c) As a Brahmin.
(d) As a laborer.
5. When did the Tripos take place?
(a) After a student's last year.
(b) After a student's first year.
(c) After a student's second year.
(d) After a student's third year.
6. When would Ramanujan and his wife consummate their marriage?
(a) When she was older.
(b) Never--they were pledged to be chaste.
(c) As soon as she was chosen.
(d) It would depend on Ramanujan's career.
7. What was the effect of Ramanujan's childhood smallpox?
(a) A limp.
(b) Spinal deformity.
(c) Partial deafness.
8. What did parents see when they looked at Ramanujan as a prospective husband?
(a) An unemployed man.
(b) A well-connected man.
(c) A genius.
(d) A criminal.
9. How does Kanigel describe the seriousness of Ramanujan's condition?
(b) Not life-threatening but uncomfortable.
10. When did Ramanujan publish his first journal article?
11. Where did Hardy get his secondary education?
(d) St. Alban's.
12. Who was Komalatammal?
(a) Ramanujan's teacher.
(b) Ramanujan's mother.
(c) Ramanujan's sister.
(d) Ramanujan's aunt.
13. Which person was NOT in the Bloomsbury Group?
(a) John Maynard Keynes.
(b) James Joyce.
(c) Virginia Woolf.
(d) G.E. Moore.
14. How does Kanigel characterize Ramanujan's first paper?
(a) Exciting but incomplete.
15. What were Ramanujan's parents getting impatient with?
(a) Ramanujan's failure to win prizes.
(b) Ramanujan's insubordination.
(c) Ramanujan's sloth.
(d) Ramanujan's scribbling in notebooks.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where had the author of 'A Synopsis of Elementary Results in Pure and Applied Mathematics' taught?
2. What does Kanigel say about Ramanujan's marriage?
3. How does Kanigel say Hardy saw himself, first and foremost?
4. Who gave Ramanujan money to study in Madras?
5. When did Ramanujan win a scholarship for his math skills?
This section contains 367 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)