|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was uncommon about Ramanujan's physique?
(a) He was overweight.
(b) He had six fingers on each hand.
(c) He had a limp.
(d) He had a humpback.
2. Who is Namagiri?
(a) Ramanujan's religious teacher.
(b) Ramanujan's chess teacher.
(c) Shiva's consort.
(d) Ramanujan's family's traditional deity.
3. What distinguished Ramanujan's class?
(a) Hand work.
(c) Learning and religion.
(d) The trades.
4. Why was Ramanujan's scholarship changed?
(a) Because of his progress in all his fields.
(b) Because of his womanizing.
(c) Because he neglected his studies aside from math.
(d) Because of his rowdy behavior.
5. What does Kanigel say 'A Synopsis of Elementary Results in Pure and Applied Mathematics' is lacking?
(d) An answer key.
6. Where did Ramanujan eventually find work?
(a) The British Indian Civil Service.
(b) A high school.
(c) He worked for his patron.
(d) His college.
7. What was Hardy's experience of secondary education like, according to Kanigel?
(a) He hated it.
(b) He passed through without distinction.
(c) He loved it.
(d) It transformed him into an upstanding citizen.
8. What does Kanigel say people appreciated about Hardy?
(a) His youthful beauty.
(b) His irreverent sense of humor.
(c) His long lineage.
(d) His wealth and taste.
9. What was Ramanujan's religion?
10. Where had the author of 'A Synopsis of Elementary Results in Pure and Applied Mathematics' taught?
11. What does Kanigel say Ramanujan disliked as a child?
(a) His family.
(b) Other children.
12. What were the Tripos?
(a) Physical evaluations.
(b) Oral exams.
(c) A secret society.
(d) Written exams.
13. What was Ramanujan's caste?
14. Which god was Ramanujan's family devoted to?
15. When does Kanigel say Ramanujan got hold of 'A Synopsis of Elementary Results in Pure and Applied Mathematics'?
(a) At 10.
(b) At 19.
(c) At 13.
(d) At 16.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the British term for what Americans call private high schools?
2. How does Kanigel characterize Ramanujan's solutions to the math problems in 'A Synopsis of Elementary Results in Pure and Applied Mathematics'?
3. Who was N. Ramanujachariar?
4. How does Kanigel characterize Ramanujan's first paper?
5. What is a nested square root?
This section contains 395 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)