|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Ramanujan's parents find a wife for him?
(a) An orphanage.
(b) A nearby village.
(d) Uttar Pradesh.
2. How does Kanigel describe Hardy?
(a) As a technical worker.
(b) As a teacher.
(c) As a laborer.
(d) As a Brahmin.
3. What distinguished Ramanujan's class?
(a) The trades.
(b) Hand work.
(d) Learning and religion.
4. Where did families NOT look for wives for their sons in India in Ramanujan's time?
(a) Friends of the family.
(c) Prominent villagers.
(d) Extended family.
5. How does Kanigel describe the seriousness of Ramanujan's condition?
(a) Not life-threatening but uncomfortable.
6. Who was N. Ramanujachariar?
(a) Ramanujan's rival.
(b) Ramanujan's math teacher.
(c) Ramanujan's trainer.
(d) Ramanujan's roommate.
7. Who gave Ramanujan money to study in Madras?
(a) His in-laws.
(b) His parents.
(c) A patron.
(d) A relative.
8. Which person was NOT in the Bloomsbury Group?
(a) James Joyce.
(b) Virginia Woolf.
(c) John Maynard Keynes.
(d) G.E. Moore.
9. What was Ramanujan's college's nickname?
(a) Harvard of South India.
(b) Oxford of South India.
(c) Cambridge of South India.
(d) The Bollytechnicum.
10. What energy does Kanigel say Ramanujan redirected into mathematics?
(b) Sexual desire.
(c) Religious devotion.
(d) Political restlessness.
11. How long after the wedding would it take before Janaki joined Ramanujan?
(a) Seven years.
(b) Nine years.
(c) Five years.
(d) Three years.
12. What does Kanigel say about Ramanujan's marriage?
(a) There were omens of disaster.
(b) It had all the ingredients for a lovely match.
(c) It was seen as fortuitous.
(d) Both parties resisted it.
13. How does Kanigel describe the skills Ramanujan got from 'A Synopsis of Elementary Results in Pure and Applied Mathematics'?
14. How does Kanigel describe Ramanujan's youth?
15. Where had the author of 'A Synopsis of Elementary Results in Pure and Applied Mathematics' taught?
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Ramanujan need to do now that he was married?
2. Who was G. H. Hardy?
3. Where did Hardy attend college?
4. Where was Ramanujan born?
5. What does Kanigel say people appreciated about Hardy?
This section contains 352 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)