|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Hardy dislike about his secondary education?
(a) Emphasis on grades.
(d) Rigid discipline.
2. What was Ramanujan's family's status?
(a) Not very rich.
3. Why was Ramanujan late for his wedding?
(a) He ran away and had to be caught.
(b) His train was held up.
(c) His parents had to argue him into getting married.
(d) He became sick.
4. What was the significance of Erode in Ramanujan's family?
(a) Where Ramanujan was buried.
(b) Ramanujan's hometown.
(c) Ramanujan's mother's ancestral home.
(d) Where Ramanujan went to school.
5. What was Ramanujan like in school?
(a) He was a poor student.
(b) He liked math and science, but not literature.
(c) He was good at all his studies.
(d) He excelled only in math.
6. Who is Namagiri?
(a) Shiva's consort.
(b) Ramanujan's family's traditional deity.
(c) Ramanujan's chess teacher.
(d) Ramanujan's religious teacher.
7. Where did families NOT look for wives for their sons in India in Ramanujan's time?
(a) Prominent villagers.
(b) Extended family.
(c) Friends of the family.
8. What did Ramanujan contract from a mosquito-borne disease?
(a) Partial deafness.
(c) A limp.
(d) Swelling in his scrotum.
9. Why did Ramanujan leave school?
(a) He was expelled.
(b) His family could not afford it without the scholarship.
(c) He got sick.
(d) He completed the coursework.
10. When did the Tripos take place?
(a) After a student's third year.
(b) After a student's last year.
(c) After a student's first year.
(d) After a student's second year.
11. What energy does Kanigel say Ramanujan redirected into mathematics?
(a) Religious devotion.
(b) Political restlessness.
(d) Sexual desire.
12. Who are the Apostles?
(a) A secret society at Cambridge.
(b) Religious figures in Rome.
(c) Disciples of Hardy's.
13. What was Ramanujan's religion?
14. What does Kanigel say about Ramanujan's marriage?
(a) Both parties resisted it.
(b) There were omens of disaster.
(c) It was seen as fortuitous.
(d) It had all the ingredients for a lovely match.
15. What does Kanigel say Ramanujan disliked as a child?
(a) Other children.
(d) His family.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Kanigel characterize Ramanujan's developing approach to math?
2. How does Kanigel describe Hardy?
3. Where did Ramanujan's parents find a wife for him?
4. Who wrote 'A Synopsis of Elementary Results in Pure and Applied Mathematics'?
5. When was Ramanujan born?
This section contains 379 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)