|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which person was NOT in the Bloomsbury Group?
(a) Virginia Woolf.
(b) G.E. Moore.
(c) James Joyce.
(d) John Maynard Keynes.
2. What did Ramanujan practice as part of his religion?
(a) A year as a monk.
(c) Community service.
(d) Animal sacrifice.
3. What did Ramanujan attend at Pachaiyappas College?
(a) Biology classes.
(b) Math classes.
(c) Physics classes.
(d) Chemistry classes.
4. What were the Tripos?
(a) Written exams.
(b) Oral exams.
(c) A secret society.
(d) Physical evaluations.
5. What distinguished Ramanujan's class?
(a) The trades.
(b) Learning and religion.
(d) Hand work.
6. What was Ramanujan's religion?
7. How does Kanigel describe Ramanujan as a potential husband?
8. What contributed to Ramanujan's status as a potential husband?
(a) He was handsome.
(b) He was wealthy.
(c) He was monomaniacally interested in math.
(d) He was fat.
9. How does Kanigel characterize Ramanujan's tutoring?
10. What happened to Ramanujan's scholarship?
(a) It was expanded to his graduate study.
(b) It was withdrawn.
(c) It was renewed for four years.
(d) It was jeopardized by Ramanujan's poor grades.
11. How does Kanigel describe Ramanujan's early temperament?
12. How does Kanigel say Ramanujan would solve math problems?
(a) By adding numbers to formulas.
(b) By solving one part at a time.
(c) By turning values into variables.
(d) He would intuit the solution.
13. Why did Ramanujan leave school?
(a) He completed the coursework.
(b) He was expelled.
(c) His family could not afford it without the scholarship.
(d) He got sick.
14. What was the significance of Erode in Ramanujan's family?
(a) Ramanujan's hometown.
(b) Where Ramanujan was buried.
(c) Where Ramanujan went to school.
(d) Ramanujan's mother's ancestral home.
15. Who comprised the Apostles?
(a) Practicing artists.
(d) Religious leaders.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who wrote 'A Synopsis of Elementary Results in Pure and Applied Mathematics'?
2. Why did Hardy need to excel on the entrance exams for secondary education?
3. Who was G. H. Hardy?
4. What did parents see when they looked at Ramanujan as a prospective husband?
5. What did Ramanujan need to do now that he was married?
This section contains 389 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)