|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Ramanujan's Spring.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is a nested square root?
(a) An infinite series of square roots.
(b) The framework of assumptions within which a series of square roots resolves to a negative number.
(c) A series of square roots that resolve to prime numbers.
(d) A series of square roots of square roots.
2. What did Ramanujan need to do now that he was married?
(a) Make money.
(b) Have children.
(c) Contribute to his in-laws' income.
(d) Buy a house.
3. What did Hardy try to arrange after receiving Ramanujan's letter?
(a) A meeting with Ramanujan.
(b) A teaching position for Ramanujan.
(c) Ramanujan's passage to England.
(d) A scholarship for Ramanujan in India.
4. What did Ramanujan discover when his friend Mahalanobis read a puzzle from the paper?
(a) The constant that resolves series to prime numbers.
(b) The value of pi.
(c) The mystical nature of numbers.
(d) A proof to all problems like that puzzle.
5. Why was Ramanujan's scholarship changed?
(a) Because of his womanizing.
(b) Because of his progress in all his fields.
(c) Because of his rowdy behavior.
(d) Because he neglected his studies aside from math.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Kanigel say Ramanujan passed his time on the ship?
2. What was proved correct in Ramanujan's work from this time?
3. How old was the wife Ramanujan's parents found?
4. How long after the wedding would it take before Janaki joined Ramanujan?
5. When did Ramanujan write to Hardy?
This section contains 237 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)