|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Hardy.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where was Ramanujan born?
(a) Uttar Pradesh.
2. How does Kanigel describe the skills Ramanujan got from 'A Synopsis of Elementary Results in Pure and Applied Mathematics'?
3. When did the Tripos take place?
(a) After a student's last year.
(b) After a student's first year.
(c) After a student's second year.
(d) After a student's third year.
4. How does Kanigel describe life in Ramanujan's hometown?
(a) Childhood illness and death were common.
(b) A middle class was just emerging.
(c) People had every luxury.
(d) Crushing poverty was the norm.
5. What interrupted Ramanujan's wedding?
(a) Drunken relatives.
(b) A deranged woman.
(c) A fight.
(d) Objections from the girl's family.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Ramanujan contract from a mosquito-borne disease?
2. What did parents see when they looked at Ramanujan as a prospective husband?
3. Why was Ramanujan's scholarship changed?
4. When did Ramanujan win a scholarship for his math skills?
5. What energy does Kanigel say Ramanujan redirected into mathematics?
This section contains 210 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)