|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through In Somewhat Indifferent Health.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Namagiri?
(a) Ramanujan's religious teacher.
(b) Shiva's consort.
(c) Ramanujan's chess teacher.
(d) Ramanujan's family's traditional deity.
2. Which person was NOT in the Bloomsbury Group?
(a) Virginia Woolf.
(b) G.E. Moore.
(c) James Joyce.
(d) John Maynard Keynes.
3. What distinguished Ramanujan's class?
(a) The trades.
(b) Hand work.
(d) Learning and religion.
4. What was the result of Ramanujan clinging to his cultural practices?
(a) He taught English students how to cook Indian dishes.
(b) He generated fear and hostility in those around him.
(c) He brought Indian culture to English intellectuals.
(d) He remained an outsider.
5. What did Ramanujan and Hardy develop for working with partitions?
(a) A refinement of Euler's suggestion.
(b) A precise method for determining partitions for prime numbers.
(c) Nested square roots.
(d) The circle method.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the effect of Ramanujan's childhood smallpox?
2. What did Ramanujan use as evidence of his credentials in interviews?
3. Who gave Ramanujan money to study in Madras?
4. How was Ramanujan treated on his return?
5. How does Kanigel describe English society from Ramanujan's point-of-view?
This section contains 200 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)