|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through In Somewhat Indifferent Health.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Hardy and his friends arrange for Ramanujan?
(a) A teaching position.
(b) A sinecure.
(c) A research position.
(d) A bureaucratic appointment.
2. Why did Hardy need to excel on the entrance exams for secondary education?
(a) Testing was the sole criterion for admission.
(b) Admissions were extremely competitive.
(c) His family could not afford the best schools.
(d) He would have low status at school if his test scores were low.
3. How long after the wedding would it take before Janaki joined Ramanujan?
(a) Five years.
(b) Nine years.
(c) Seven years.
(d) Three years.
4. What did Ramanujan petition Cambridge for?
(a) The right to return.
(c) An assistant.
(d) A stipend.
5. What did Hardy and Neville nominate Ramanujan to become?
(a) A teacher at King's College.
(b) A graduate student at Trinity.
(c) A fellow at Trinity College.
(d) A dean at Oriel College.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did families NOT look for wives for their sons in India in Ramanujan's time?
2. What does Kanigel say people appreciated about Hardy?
3. Who met Ramanujan in England?
4. What does Kanigel say Ramanujan learned from an old book?
5. What was Ramanujan's caste?
This section contains 212 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)