|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The English Chill.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Ramanujan and Hardy develop for working with partitions?
(a) Nested square roots.
(b) The circle method.
(c) A refinement of Euler's suggestion.
(d) A precise method for determining partitions for prime numbers.
2. How did Ramanujan respond to Hardy's request for proofs?
(a) He said he could not produce them.
(b) He dragged his feet about sending them.
(c) He sent them immediately.
(d) He would send them if Hardy would help him financially.
3. What other Indian thinker does Kanigel compare Ramanujan's experience with?
(a) Anant Raje.
(c) Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar.
(d) Muhammad Ali Jinnah.
4. Where did Ramanujan publish his first journal article?
(a) An American mathematics journal.
(b) An English mathematics journal.
(c) An Indian mathematics journal.
(d) An Italian mathematics journal.
5. In his letter to Hardy, what did Ramanujan say he had discovered?
(a) A mistake in Hardy's theorems.
(b) A function for using irrational numbers in multi-variable calculus.
(c) A theory of relativity.
(d) A solution to a problem Hardy proposed.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Ramanujan's Master Theorem attempt to do?
2. How does Kanigel characterize Ramanujan's first paper?
3. Who gave Ramanujan money to study in Madras?
4. In his letter to Hardy, what was the importance of the thing Ramanujan claimed to have discovered?
5. What contributed to Ramanujan's status as a potential husband?
This section contains 270 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)