Chapter 1 - In the Temple's Coolness
* Ramanujan was born in the town of Kumbakonam in South India.
* His parents were of the Brahmin caste, but his father was a low-level clerk.
* Directing his early energy into devotions, Ramanujan was very religious as a child.
* As he grew up, Ramanujan directed his religious devotion toward math, where he excelled.
Chapter 2 Ranging with Delight
* Ramanujan found a copy of 'A Synopsis of Elementary Results in Pure and Applied Mathematics' and learned theorems, formulas and equations from the book.
* 'A Synopsis of Elementary Results in Pure and Applied Mathematics' did not demonstrate the logic of problems, so Ramanujan would hereafter have difficulty showing his work.
* With a tremendous ability to calculate mentally, Ramanujan would solve problems by plugging in numbers, which led to difficulties with large and small numbers.
* On scholarship, Ramanujan went to Kumbakonam's Government College, but lost his scholarship...
This section contains 585 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)