|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How was Samuel Pozzi injured in the Franco-Prussian War?
(a) A horse-drawn ambulance ran over his ankle.
(b) He was shot.
(c) His ribs were broken when he fell off a cliff.
(d) He broke his leg in a trench.
2. How old was Dr. Pozzi when he traveled to London with the prince and the count in 1885?
3. How old was Leon Daudet when he fought his first duel?
4. Who was Pozzi's cousin that was 20 years his senior and a well-known society doctor whose patients including the ruling family of Napoleon III?
(a) Jean Lorrain.
(b) Georges-Charles de Heeckeren.
(c) Edmond de Polignac.
(d) Alexandre Laboulbene.
5. Joseph Lister shoed that if all of his sterilization procedures were followed, the death rate of amputations fell from 50% to what percentage?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was the mother of Caliban in The Tempest?
2. Who was put on trial for having translated Emile Zola's La Terre to English?
3. Who painted the 1898 portrait of Jean Lorrain that is featured in the book?
4. Who fought in a duel with Catulle Mendes in 1901?
5. How old was Montesquiou when he traveled to London in 1885?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who was Gabriel Yturri?
2. From where do the portraits of a number of celebrities in the book arise?
3. What painting inspired the author to write this book? Why?
4. Who was Jean Lorrain?
5. What does a dandy refer to?
6. What caused the initial problems between Dr. Pozzi and his wife?
7. What does Listerism refer to?
8. What literary device does the author reference and explain in the opening of the narrative?
9. How does the author compare the sexual perspectives of those from England and those from France in the late nineteenth century?
10. Who was Guy de Maupassant?
This section contains 685 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)