|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What interrupts Aramis and Porthos as they are getting a boat ready to flee?
2. What position does Beaufort offer Raoul in his army?
3. What reaction does Athos have after he reads a letter from Aramis describing Porthos's death?
4. Where has Planchet purchased an estate to live out his retirement in?
5. Why is Fouquet unable to flee Nantes in the end of Chapter 38?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the point of view utilized by Dumas in "The Man in the Iron Mask." As this was a deliberate choice, discuss why Dumas selected the view he did and what influences the point of view had on the development of themes. Make sure to use specific textual evidence to support your assertions.
Essay Topic 2
One of the strongest literary tools employed by Dumas in "The Man in the Iron Mask" is the use of irony. Give examples of where Dumas has employed verbal, situational or comic irony and discuss in detail how this use of irony has furthered the plot, developed characters or strengthened a theme.
Essay Topic 3
One theme that is accentuated by Dumas throughout "The Man in the Iron Mask" is that of the importance of appearances. Discuss at least three instances where this theme is displayed and comment on what societal commentary Dumas may be making by using this theme.
This section contains 321 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)