|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the king order D'Artagnan to do for his advisers when they get to Nantes in Chapter 34?
2. What reaction does Athos have after he reads a letter from Aramis describing Porthos's death?
3. When Fouquet receives a note in Chapter 39, what is promised to aid his escape from the king?
4. Where has Planchet purchased an estate to live out his retirement in?
5. What fate does the Queen wish for Aramis as expressed in Chapter 36?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the point of view utilized by Dumas in "The Man in the Iron Mask." As this was a deliberate choice, discuss why Dumas selected the view he did and what influences the point of view had on the development of themes. Make sure to use specific textual evidence to support your assertions.
Essay Topic 2
What is Alexandre Dumas's writing style? Discuss both the mechanical aspect of his writing and his "voice" throughout the novel. Make sure to discuss what literary tools and devices he relies on most and what specific parts of the text reflect his voice?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the dramatic structure of "The Man in the Iron Mask." Use textual evidence to designate the expository, rising action, the climax, falling action and denouement and discuss whether or not it follows a typical structure.
This section contains 313 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)