|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Aramis ask a fisherman to communicate to D'Artagnan in Chapter 42?
2. What does Raoul give to D'Artagnan to give to Louise de La Valliere?
3. While D'Artagnan is in audience with the King in Chapter 53, what news does a courier bring?
4. Who has formed an alliance with M. Colbert that comes to light in Chapter 36?
5. Who does Porthos think they are protecting the Belle-Isle from in Chapter 42?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Honor and "gentlemanly" or chivalrous behavior is one of the themes highlighted in "The Man in the Iron Mask." Discuss the characters of Fouquet and D'Artagnan versus the king to illustrate the dichotomy of what honor or honorable behavior is. Use specific textual examples to illustrate the character's view of honor. Does Dumas create an overarching definition of honor. What is it?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout "The Man in the Iron Mask" there are several journeys made by different characters. Discuss at least two specific journeys and how they could be viewed as extended metaphors for character development of the characters who undertake these journeys.
Essay Topic 3
In "The Man in the Iron Mask," Dumas utilizes the several historical figures as important characters in the end of the novel. Discuss how the historical basis for these characters as established in literature affect how their characters are viewed in the book.
This section contains 300 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)