|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Aramis angry with Porthos in Chapter 42?
2. From studying the map in Planchet's store, where do Athos and Raoul suppose that D'Artagnan is journeying?
3. What does Beaufort give Raoul as his first order?
4. Who enters the grotto alone to investigate in Chapter 48?
5. What interrupts Aramis and Porthos as they are getting a boat ready to flee?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In "The Man in the Iron Mask," Dumas utilizes the several historical figures as important characters in the end of the novel. Discuss how the historical basis for these characters as established in literature affect how their characters are viewed in the book.
Essay Topic 2
One theme that is accentuated by Dumas throughout "The Man in the Iron Mask" is that of the importance of appearances. Discuss at least three instances where this theme is displayed and comment on what societal commentary Dumas may be making by using this theme.
Essay Topic 3
One of the most frequently used literary devices in "The Man in the Iron Mask" is the appearance of satire. Discuss at least three examples of Dumas's use of satire in the novel and point out whether or not they are effective in emphasizing some truth. Make sure to use specific textual references to back up your assertions.
This section contains 1,288 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)