|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. While D'Artagnan is in audience with the King in Chapter 53, what news does a courier bring?
2. At the last minute who decides to accompany Raoul on his expedition?
3. What interrupts Aramis and Porthos as they are getting a boat ready to flee?
4. What does Raoul give to D'Artagnan to give to Louise de La Valliere?
5. What does De Guiche promise Raoul in Chapter 28?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One recurrent theme in "The Man in the Iron Mask" is that of respect and reverence for authority figures such as Louis and Philippe. Using specific textual examples, compare and contrast at least two approaches or attitudes toward respect and reverence as demonstrated by specific characters. Discuss what if any overarching message Dumas is conveying about the importance or unimportance of respect and reverence.
Essay Topic 2
The theme of the pursuit of power is central to the novel, "The Man in the Iron Mask." Many important characters are pursuing power; however, they are usually foiled in their attempts to attain this power. Using at least three character examples, illustrate how Dumas establishes a premise on the pursuit of power. Discuss how Dumas's view on the pursuit of power is relevant to today.
Essay Topic 3
In "The Man in the Iron Mask," Dumas utilizes the several historical figures as important characters in the end of the novel. Discuss how the historical basis for these characters as established in literature affect how their characters are viewed in the book.
This section contains 324 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)