|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who confirms the death of Raoul to Athos?
2. What does Colbert tell D'Artagnan to do at Belle-Isle in order to be promoted?
3. Who enters the grotto alone to investigate in Chapter 48?
4. Where has Planchet purchased an estate to live out his retirement in?
5. What does D'Artagnan think will be the fate of all of those who know the secret of Philippe?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In "The Man in the Iron Mask," D'Artagnan serves as an archetypal hero character. Using specific example from the text identifies how Dumas connotes the hero archetype. Is it an effective connotation, why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
In "The Man in the Iron Mask," Dumas utilizes the several historical figures as important characters in the end of the novel. Discuss how the historical basis for these characters as established in literature affect how their characters are viewed in the book.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the dramatic structure of "The Man in the Iron Mask." Use textual evidence to designate the expository, rising action, the climax, falling action and denouement and discuss whether or not it follows a typical structure.
This section contains 240 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)