|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When D'Artagnan arrives back in Paris, who does he find has taken ill in Chapter 34?
2. What does Athos promise to give Raoul when he returns from Africa?
3. Who enters the apartment unexpectedly where Raoul is conversing with a lady in Chapter 28?
4. Where is D'Artagnan's intended destination when he heads for the stables after resigning in Nantes?
5. How long does it take Athos and Raoul to reach Toulon after they leave Paris?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The theme of the pursuit of power is central to the novel, "The Man in the Iron Mask." Many important characters are pursuing power; however, they are usually foiled in their attempts to attain this power. Using at least three character examples, illustrate how Dumas establishes a premise on the pursuit of power. Discuss how Dumas's view on the pursuit of power is relevant to today.
Essay Topic 2
In "The Man in the Iron Mask," in many ways King Louis serves as the character foil to Fouquet. Using specific examples from the book illustrate how their characterizations are in antithesis to each other and how these characterizations are strengthened when shown in contrast with each other.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the importance of setting within "The Man in the Iron Mask." Make sure to discuss at least three different settings and how the descriptions of those settings are integral in the development of themes and characters.
This section contains 1,254 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)