|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to D'Artagnan's horse as he is pursuing Fouquet in Chapter 40?
2. What type of wine does Beaufort request when he visits Athos and Raoul in Chapter 27?
3. From studying the map in Planchet's store, where do Athos and Raoul suppose that D'Artagnan is journeying?
4. What fate does the Queen wish for Aramis as expressed in Chapter 36?
5. In Porthos's family, what is an omen that men are going to die?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout "The Man in the Iron Mask" there are several journeys made by different characters. Discuss at least two specific journeys and how they could be viewed as extended metaphors for character development of the characters who undertake these journeys.
Essay Topic 2
In "The Man in the Iron Mask," in many ways King Louis serves as the character foil to Fouquet. Using specific examples from the book illustrate how their characterizations are in antithesis to each other and how these characterizations are strengthened when shown in contrast with each other.
Essay Topic 3
A recurrent theme in "The Man in the Iron Mask" is that of vanity, and how characters react when their vanity is wounded or bruised. Compare and contrast vanity as exhibited by King Louis XIV, Fouquet and Porthos and how it either shifts throughout the novel or remains the same. Discuss how each character reacts when their vanity is wounded and what this reaction infers about that character.
This section contains 323 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)