|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Aramis show the captain of the ship in Chapter 51 that causes the captain to follow his orders.
2. What does De Guiche promise Raoul in Chapter 28?
3. When Fouquet receives a note in Chapter 39, what is promised to aid his escape from the king?
4. What type of advice does Athos give to Raoul in Chapter 33?
5. What fate does the Queen wish for Aramis as expressed in Chapter 36?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1Throughout "The Man in the Iron Mask" there are several journeys made by different characters. Discuss at least two specific journeys and how they could be viewed as extended metaphors for character development of the characters who undertake these journeys.
Essay Topic 2The theme of love is central to "The Man in the Iron Mask" and has many manifestations. Compare and contrast two approaches to the idea of "what is love" as evidenced by the following characters: a) Raoul's love for Louise de la Valliere. b) The King's love for Louise de la Valliere. c) Athos's love for Raoul. d) D'Artagnan's love for his friends Aramis, Porthos and Athos.
Essay Topic 3One recurrent theme in "The Man in the Iron Mask" is that of respect and reverence for authority figures such as Louis and Philippe. Using specific textual examples, compare and contrast at least two approaches or attitudes toward respect and reverence as demonstrated by specific characters. Discuss what if any overarching message Dumas is conveying about the importance or unimportance of respect and reverence.
This section contains 344 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)