|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Aramis ask a fisherman to communicate to D'Artagnan in Chapter 42?
2. Who ordered the shooting towards Raoul and Athos in Chapter 31?
3. Where does D'Artagnan offer to take Mouston in Chapter 55?
4. From studying the map in Planchet's store, where do Athos and Raoul suppose that D'Artagnan is journeying?
5. How does Porthos die in Chapter 50?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One literary tool employed by Dumas in "The Man in the Iron Mask" is the use of foreshadowing. Give examples of where Dumas has employed foreshadowing and discuss in detail how this use of foreshadowing furthered the plot, developed character, or strengthened a theme.
Essay Topic 2
The theme of love is central to "The Man in the Iron Mask" and has many manifestations. Compare and contrast two approaches to the idea of "what is love" as evidenced by the following characters:
a) Raoul's love for Louise de la Valliere.
b) The King's love for Louise de la Valliere.
c) Athos's love for Raoul.
d) D'Artagnan's love for his friends Aramis, Porthos and Athos.
Essay Topic 3
In "The Man in the Iron Mask," in many ways King Louis serves as the character foil to Fouquet. Using specific examples from the book illustrate how their characterizations are in antithesis to each other and how these characterizations are strengthened when shown in contrast with each other.
This section contains 325 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)