|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Athos promise to give Raoul when he returns from Africa?
2. What is the name of Planchet's intended bride?
3. What fate does the Queen wish for Aramis as expressed in Chapter 36?
4. What happens to D'Artagnan's horse as he is pursuing Fouquet in Chapter 40?
5. When King Louis XIV orders D'Artagnan to arrest Fouquet in Chapter 40, what does the king want to prevent Fouquet from doing in transit?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The theme of love is central to "The Man in the Iron Mask" and has many manifestations. Compare and contrast two approaches to the idea of "what is love" as evidenced by the following characters:
a) Raoul's love for Louise de la Valliere.
b) The King's love for Louise de la Valliere.
c) Athos's love for Raoul.
d) D'Artagnan's love for his friends Aramis, Porthos and Athos.
Essay Topic 2
One of the strongest literary tools employed by Dumas in "The Man in the Iron Mask" is the use of irony. Give examples of where Dumas has employed verbal, situational or comic irony and discuss in detail how this use of irony has furthered the plot, developed characters or strengthened a theme.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout "The Man in the Iron Mask" there are several journeys made by different characters. Discuss at least two specific journeys and how they could be viewed as extended metaphors for character development of the characters who undertake these journeys.
This section contains 332 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)