|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After D'Artagnan agrees to cooperate and not resign his post in Chapter 53, what does King Louis offer?
2. What do Fouquet's friends give him in the end of Chapter 15?
3. What does Beaufort give Raoul as his first order?
4. While D'Artagnan is in audience with the King in Chapter 53, what news does a courier bring?
5. Who does D'Artagnan request to speak with at Nantes in Chapter 37?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One of the most frequently used literary devices in "The Man in the Iron Mask" is the appearance of satire. Discuss at least three examples of Dumas's use of satire in the novel and point out whether or not they are effective in emphasizing some truth. Make sure to use specific textual references to back up your assertions.
Essay Topic 2
In "The Man in the Iron Mask," in many ways King Louis serves as the character foil to Fouquet. Using specific examples from the book illustrate how their characterizations are in antithesis to each other and how these characterizations are strengthened when shown in contrast with each other.
Essay Topic 3
One of the strongest literary tools employed by Dumas in "The Man in the Iron Mask" is the use of irony. Give examples of where Dumas has employed verbal, situational or comic irony and discuss in detail how this use of irony has furthered the plot, developed characters or strengthened a theme.
This section contains 327 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)