|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Raoul and Athos arrive at Beaufort's house in Paris, what is Beaufort doing?
2. Which character does Raoul warn De Guiche to beware of in Chapter 28?
3. When King Louis XIV orders D'Artagnan to arrest Fouquet in Chapter 40, what does the king want to prevent Fouquet from doing in transit?
4. Which king is the Beaufort's father?
5. What happens to Mouston in the end of Chapter 55?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the importance of setting within "The Man in the Iron Mask." Make sure to discuss at least three different settings and how the descriptions of those settings are integral in the development of themes and characters.
Essay Topic 2
What is Alexandre Dumas's writing style? Discuss both the mechanical aspect of his writing and his "voice" throughout the novel. Make sure to discuss what literary tools and devices he relies on most and what specific parts of the text reflect his voice?
Essay Topic 3
In "The Man in the Iron Mask," Dumas utilizes the several historical figures as important characters in the end of the novel. Discuss how the historical basis for these characters as established in literature affect how their characters are viewed in the book.
This section contains 1,300 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)