|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When D'Artagnan decides to resign, what does he think the fleet will be forced to do?
2. In Porthos's family, what is an omen that men are going to die?
3. What does Raoul wish for before drinking from the goblet in Chapter 27?
4. How does Aramis spend his night on the ship in Chapter 51?
5. What does Aramis ask a fisherman to communicate to D'Artagnan in Chapter 42?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout "The Man in the Iron Mask" there are several journeys made by different characters. Discuss at least two specific journeys and how they could be viewed as extended metaphors for character development of the characters who undertake these journeys.
Essay Topic 2
Duty is a theme throughout "The Man in the Iron Mask." Discuss three different character's views of duty and how it is exhibited by their statements and actions. Based on these accounts of duty, does Dumas create an overarching definition of what duty is?
Essay Topic 3
A theme that runs as an undercurrent in "The Man in the Iron Mask" applicable to contemporary issues today is that of social classes and the difference as particularly seen between the aristocracy (the rich) and the servant class. Using textual examples, discuss how Dumas establishes this theme and how it is relates to social classes as seen in popular culture today.
This section contains 336 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)