|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does D'Artagnan offer to take Mouston in Chapter 55?
2. From studying the map in Planchet's store, where do Athos and Raoul suppose that D'Artagnan is journeying?
3. What order of the king does an Officer give D'Artagnan after he decides to resign?
4. At the last minute who decides to accompany Raoul on his expedition?
5. Who confirms the death of Raoul to Athos?
Essay Topic 1
One literary tool employed by Dumas in "The Man in the Iron Mask" is the use of foreshadowing. Give examples of where Dumas has employed foreshadowing and discuss in detail how this use of foreshadowing furthered the plot, developed character, or strengthened a theme.
Essay Topic 2
The theme of the pursuit of power is central to the novel, "The Man in the Iron Mask." Many important characters are pursuing power; however, they are usually foiled in their attempts to attain this power. Using at least three character examples, illustrate how Dumas establishes a premise on the pursuit of power. Discuss how Dumas's view on the pursuit of power is relevant to today.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the point of view utilized by Dumas in "The Man in the Iron Mask." As this was a deliberate choice, discuss why Dumas selected the view he did and what influences the point of view had on the development of themes. Make sure to use specific textual evidence to support your assertions.
This section contains 1,233 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)