|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Mouston in the end of Chapter 55?
2. How do Porthos and Aramis attempt to escape in Chapter 46?
3. What does D'Artagnan tell Raoul and Athos to pretend to be in Chapter 31?
4. How does Aramis spend his night on the ship in Chapter 51?
5. In Porthos's family, what is an omen that men are going to die?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A theme that runs as an undercurrent in "The Man in the Iron Mask" applicable to contemporary issues today is that of social classes and the difference as particularly seen between the aristocracy (the rich) and the servant class. Using textual examples, discuss how Dumas establishes this theme and how it is relates to social classes as seen in popular culture today.
Essay Topic 2
In "The Man in the Iron Mask," D'Artagnan serves as an archetypal hero character. Using specific example from the text identifies how Dumas connotes the hero archetype. Is it an effective connotation, why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
One theme that is accentuated by Dumas throughout "The Man in the Iron Mask" is that of the importance of appearances. Discuss at least three instances where this theme is displayed and comment on what societal commentary Dumas may be making by using this theme.
This section contains 336 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)