|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to D'Artagnan's horse as he is pursuing Fouquet in Chapter 40?
2. Who has formed an alliance with M. Colbert that comes to light in Chapter 36?
3. When Fouquet suspects D'Artagnan is about to arrest him in Chapter 38, how does D'Artagnan respond?
4. What order of the king does an Officer give D'Artagnan after he decides to resign?
5. What does Colbert tell D'Artagnan to do at Belle-Isle in order to be promoted?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A theme that runs as an undercurrent in "The Man in the Iron Mask" applicable to contemporary issues today is that of social classes and the difference as particularly seen between the aristocracy (the rich) and the servant class. Using textual examples, discuss how Dumas establishes this theme and how it is relates to social classes as seen in popular culture today.
Essay Topic 2
In "The Man in the Iron Mask," Dumas utilizes the several historical figures as important characters in the end of the novel. Discuss how the historical basis for these characters as established in literature affect how their characters are viewed in the book.
Essay Topic 3
One of the strongest literary tools employed by Dumas in "The Man in the Iron Mask" is the use of irony. Give examples of where Dumas has employed verbal, situational or comic irony and discuss in detail how this use of irony has furthered the plot, developed characters or strengthened a theme.
This section contains 357 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)