|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Raoul go to visit first when he arrives in Paris in Chapter 28?
2. What is the name of Planchet's intended bride?
3. When King Louis XIV orders D'Artagnan to arrest Fouquet in Chapter 40, what does the king want to prevent Fouquet from doing in transit?
4. How do Porthos and Aramis attempt to escape in Chapter 46?
5. What do Fouquet's friends give him in the end of Chapter 15?
Essay Topic 1
In "The Man in the Iron Mask," in many ways King Louis serves as the character foil to Fouquet. Using specific examples from the book illustrate how their characterizations are in antithesis to each other and how these characterizations are strengthened when shown in contrast with each other.
Essay Topic 2
Honor and "gentlemanly" or chivalrous behavior is one of the themes highlighted in "The Man in the Iron Mask." Discuss the characters of Fouquet and D'Artagnan versus the king to illustrate the dichotomy of what honor or honorable behavior is. Use specific textual examples to illustrate the character's view of honor. Does Dumas create an overarching definition of honor. What is it?
Essay Topic 3
A recurrent theme in "The Man in the Iron Mask" is that of vanity, and how characters react when their vanity is wounded or bruised. Compare and contrast vanity as exhibited by King Louis XIV, Fouquet and Porthos and how it either shifts throughout the novel or remains the same. Discuss how each character reacts when their vanity is wounded and what this reaction infers about that character.
This section contains 1,256 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)