|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where has Planchet purchased an estate to live out his retirement in?
2. How does Aramis spend his night on the ship in Chapter 51?
3. What does the king order D'Artagnan to do for his advisers when they get to Nantes in Chapter 34?
4. When D'Artagnan arrives back in Paris, who does he find has taken ill in Chapter 34?
5. At the last minute who decides to accompany Raoul on his expedition?
Essay Topic 1
The theme of the pursuit of power is central to the novel, "The Man in the Iron Mask." Many important characters are pursuing power; however, they are usually foiled in their attempts to attain this power. Using at least three character examples, illustrate how Dumas establishes a premise on the pursuit of power. Discuss how Dumas's view on the pursuit of power is relevant to today.
Essay Topic 2
One literary tool employed by Dumas in "The Man in the Iron Mask" is the use of foreshadowing. Give examples of where Dumas has employed foreshadowing and discuss in detail how this use of foreshadowing furthered the plot, developed character, or strengthened a theme.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the importance of setting within "The Man in the Iron Mask." Make sure to discuss at least three different settings and how the descriptions of those settings are integral in the development of themes and characters.
This section contains 1,228 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)