|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Aramis ask a fisherman to communicate to D'Artagnan in Chapter 42?
2. Who does D'Artagnan request to speak with at Nantes in Chapter 37?
3. Who does Porthos think they are protecting the Belle-Isle from in Chapter 42?
4. When Fouquet suspects D'Artagnan is about to arrest him in Chapter 38, how does D'Artagnan respond?
5. Who sent the note to Fouquet in Chapter 40?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One theme that is accentuated by Dumas throughout "The Man in the Iron Mask" is that of the importance of appearances. Discuss at least three instances where this theme is displayed and comment on what societal commentary Dumas may be making by using this theme.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the novel, "The Man in the Iron Mask," Dumas sets forth several conflicting views of allegiance. Compare and contrast the specific view on the purpose and importance of allegiance as demonstrated by one of the following character pairings:
a) Fouquet and Aramis
b) King Louis and Philippe
c) Colbert and D'Artagnan
Give specific textual information on how these characters exhibit and come to these views. Also in the conclusion address whether or not you feel that Dumas is purporting one view of allegiance as being correct or true.
Essay Topic 3
Duty is a theme throughout "The Man in the Iron Mask." Discuss three different character's views of duty and how it is exhibited by their statements and actions. Based on these accounts of duty, does Dumas create an overarching definition of what duty is?
This section contains 344 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)