|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Aramis show the captain of the ship in Chapter 51 that causes the captain to follow his orders.
2. What does D'Artagnan tell Raoul and Athos to pretend to be in Chapter 31?
3. What does De Guiche promise Raoul in Chapter 28?
4. What order of the king does an Officer give D'Artagnan after he decides to resign?
5. What interrupts Aramis and Porthos as they are getting a boat ready to flee?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the importance of setting within "The Man in the Iron Mask." Make sure to discuss at least three different settings and how the descriptions of those settings are integral in the development of themes and characters.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the novel, "The Man in the Iron Mask," Dumas sets forth several conflicting views of allegiance. Compare and contrast the specific view on the purpose and importance of allegiance as demonstrated by one of the following character pairings:
a) Fouquet and Aramis
b) King Louis and Philippe
c) Colbert and D'Artagnan
Give specific textual information on how these characters exhibit and come to these views. Also in the conclusion address whether or not you feel that Dumas is purporting one view of allegiance as being correct or true.
Essay Topic 3
One theme that is accentuated by Dumas throughout "The Man in the Iron Mask" is that of the importance of appearances. Discuss at least three instances where this theme is displayed and comment on what societal commentary Dumas may be making by using this theme.
This section contains 356 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)