|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Raoul and Athos arrive at Beaufort's house in Paris, what is Beaufort doing?
2. When D'Artagnan arrives back in Paris, who does he find has taken ill in Chapter 34?
3. When Biscarrat leads the men into the grotto what does he refuse to take?
4. What does Aramis show the captain of the ship in Chapter 51 that causes the captain to follow his orders.
5. What does Colbert tell D'Artagnan to do at Belle-Isle in order to be promoted?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout "The Man in the Iron Mask" there are several journeys made by different characters. Discuss at least two specific journeys and how they could be viewed as extended metaphors for character development of the characters who undertake these journeys.
Essay Topic 2
One of the strongest literary tools employed by Dumas in "The Man in the Iron Mask" is the use of irony. Give examples of where Dumas has employed verbal, situational or comic irony and discuss in detail how this use of irony has furthered the plot, developed characters or strengthened a theme.
Essay Topic 3
In "The Man in the Iron Mask," Dumas utilizes the several historical figures as important characters in the end of the novel. Discuss how the historical basis for these characters as established in literature affect how their characters are viewed in the book.
This section contains 318 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)