|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What order of the king does an Officer give D'Artagnan after he decides to resign?
2. What does Raoul wish for before drinking from the goblet in Chapter 27?
3. What does D'Artagnan receive as soon as he returns to the fort in Chapter 32?
4. When Fouquet receives a note in Chapter 39, what is promised to aid his escape from the king?
5. Who does Porthos think they are protecting the Belle-Isle from in Chapter 42?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the dramatic structure of "The Man in the Iron Mask." Use textual evidence to designate the expository, rising action, the climax, falling action and denouement and discuss whether or not it follows a typical structure.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the novel, "The Man in the Iron Mask," Dumas sets forth several conflicting views of allegiance. Compare and contrast the specific view on the purpose and importance of allegiance as demonstrated by one of the following character pairings:
a) Fouquet and Aramis
b) King Louis and Philippe
c) Colbert and D'Artagnan
Give specific textual information on how these characters exhibit and come to these views. Also in the conclusion address whether or not you feel that Dumas is purporting one view of allegiance as being correct or true.
Essay Topic 3
One literary tool employed by Dumas in "The Man in the Iron Mask" is the use of foreshadowing. Give examples of where Dumas has employed foreshadowing and discuss in detail how this use of foreshadowing furthered the plot, developed character, or strengthened a theme.
This section contains 338 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)