|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who confirms the death of Raoul to Athos?
2. When Biscarrat leads the men into the grotto what does he refuse to take?
3. Who has advised the king to spare Aramis's life in Chapter 54?
4. From studying the map in Planchet's store, where do Athos and Raoul suppose that D'Artagnan is journeying?
5. At the last minute who decides to accompany Raoul on his expedition?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the dramatic structure of "The Man in the Iron Mask." Use textual evidence to designate the expository, rising action, the climax, falling action and denouement and discuss whether or not it follows a typical structure.
Essay Topic 2
Honor and "gentlemanly" or chivalrous behavior is one of the themes highlighted in "The Man in the Iron Mask." Discuss the characters of Fouquet and D'Artagnan versus the king to illustrate the dichotomy of what honor or honorable behavior is. Use specific textual examples to illustrate the character's view of honor. Does Dumas create an overarching definition of honor. What is it?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the point of view utilized by Dumas in "The Man in the Iron Mask." As this was a deliberate choice, discuss why Dumas selected the view he did and what influences the point of view had on the development of themes. Make sure to use specific textual evidence to support your assertions.
This section contains 1,202 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)