|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does D'Artagnan think will be the fate of all of those who know the secret of Philippe?
2. How do Porthos and Aramis attempt to escape in Chapter 46?
3. How does Porthos die in Chapter 50?
4. Where has Planchet purchased an estate to live out his retirement in?
5. What does the king order D'Artagnan to do for his advisers when they get to Nantes in Chapter 34?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One recurrent theme in "The Man in the Iron Mask" is that of respect and reverence for authority figures such as Louis and Philippe. Using specific textual examples, compare and contrast at least two approaches or attitudes toward respect and reverence as demonstrated by specific characters. Discuss what if any overarching message Dumas is conveying about the importance or unimportance of respect and reverence.
Essay Topic 2
A recurrent theme in "The Man in the Iron Mask" is that of vanity, and how characters react when their vanity is wounded or bruised. Compare and contrast vanity as exhibited by King Louis XIV, Fouquet and Porthos and how it either shifts throughout the novel or remains the same. Discuss how each character reacts when their vanity is wounded and what this reaction infers about that character.
Essay Topic 3
In "The Man in the Iron Mask," Dumas utilizes the several historical figures as important characters in the end of the novel. Discuss how the historical basis for these characters as established in literature affect how their characters are viewed in the book.
This section contains 353 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)