|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the king order D'Artagnan to do for his advisers when they get to Nantes in Chapter 34?
2. When Fouquet suspects D'Artagnan is about to arrest him in Chapter 38, how does D'Artagnan respond?
3. What reaction does Athos have after he reads a letter from Aramis describing Porthos's death?
4. Who ordered the shooting towards Raoul and Athos in Chapter 31?
5. Who does D'Artagnan request to speak with at Nantes in Chapter 37?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout "The Man in the Iron Mask" there are several journeys made by different characters. Discuss at least two specific journeys and how they could be viewed as extended metaphors for character development of the characters who undertake these journeys.
Essay Topic 2
One recurrent theme in "The Man in the Iron Mask" is that of respect and reverence for authority figures such as Louis and Philippe. Using specific textual examples, compare and contrast at least two approaches or attitudes toward respect and reverence as demonstrated by specific characters. Discuss what if any overarching message Dumas is conveying about the importance or unimportance of respect and reverence.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the point of view utilized by Dumas in "The Man in the Iron Mask." As this was a deliberate choice, discuss why Dumas selected the view he did and what influences the point of view had on the development of themes. Make sure to use specific textual evidence to support your assertions.
This section contains 351 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)