|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which lady friend of Louise de la Valliere's accuses Louise of killing Raoul if he dies in Africa?
2. What happens to D'Artagnan's horse as he is pursuing Fouquet in Chapter 40?
3. Why is Fouquet unable to flee Nantes in the end of Chapter 38?
4. How long does it take Athos and Raoul to reach Toulon after they leave Paris?
5. What interrupts Aramis and Porthos as they are getting a boat ready to flee?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One of the most frequently used literary devices in "The Man in the Iron Mask" is the appearance of satire. Discuss at least three examples of Dumas's use of satire in the novel and point out whether or not they are effective in emphasizing some truth. Make sure to use specific textual references to back up your assertions.
Essay Topic 2
One of the strongest literary tools employed by Dumas in "The Man in the Iron Mask" is the use of irony. Give examples of where Dumas has employed verbal, situational or comic irony and discuss in detail how this use of irony has furthered the plot, developed characters or strengthened a theme.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the dramatic structure of "The Man in the Iron Mask." Use textual evidence to designate the expository, rising action, the climax, falling action and denouement and discuss whether or not it follows a typical structure.
This section contains 1,277 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)