Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Raoul in need of consolation from his father in Chapter 26?
2. What profession does Monsieur Lebrun hold?
3. While D'Artagnan is looking for Aramis in Chapter 19, what does Fouquet do?
4. How much money does Aramis offer to Philippe should he decide to go to Bas-Poitou?
5. What did Aramis send to Philippe in the prison before he freed him from the Bastille?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Raoul and Athos read upon a silver plate they find on Ste. Marguerite?
2. What is unique about the plates that Fouquet eats from?
3. Describe the village of Poitou that Aramis offers Phillippe a humble life of obscurity in.
4. As mentioned in Chapter 8, what did the prisoner, Marchiali, arrive at the Bastile with?
5. How does Athos defend Louise to Raoul in Chapter 25?
6. Why is D'Artagnan perplexed and his conscience not at ease regarding the arrest of Fouquet in Chapter 19?
7. Why does Louis refuse to forgive or pardon Aramis and Porthos even after Fouquet points out that they spared his life?
8. In Chapter 1, Aramis desires the prisoner to become King for what reason?
9. How does Raoul feel about returning to Paris to meet Beaufort before leaving for Africa?
10. How does Anne of Austria respond when she sees both of her sons in the same room in Chapter 24?
Essay Topic 1
What is Alexandre Dumas's writing style? Discuss both the mechanical aspect of his writing and his "voice" throughout the novel. Make sure to discuss what literary tools and devices he relies on most and what specific parts of the text reflect his voice?
Essay Topic 2
The theme of the pursuit of power is central to the novel, "The Man in the Iron Mask." Many important characters are pursuing power; however, they are usually foiled in their attempts to attain this power. Using at least three character examples, illustrate how Dumas establishes a premise on the pursuit of power. Discuss how Dumas's view on the pursuit of power is relevant to today.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the dramatic structure of "The Man in the Iron Mask." Use textual evidence to designate the expository, rising action, the climax, falling action and denouement and discuss whether or not it follows a typical structure.
This section contains 851 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)