|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does King Louis blame for his imprisonment in Chapter 18?
2. In Chapter 2, who does D'Artagnan plan to take Porthos to, to solve his problem?
3. What prisoner's name does Baisemeaux read on the release in Chapter 8?
4. How many brothers does Aramis claim to have in Chapter 9?
5. How does Fouquet regard Aramis's act of abducting Louis XIV?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is unique about Aramis's response to Porthos's death, as described in Chapter 52?
2. As mentioned in Chapter 8, what did the prisoner, Marchiali, arrive at the Bastile with?
3. How does Athos defend Louise to Raoul in Chapter 25?
4. Describe the village of Poitou that Aramis offers Phillippe a humble life of obscurity in.
5. Throughout the festivities at Vaux when the king is entertained with a play and all sorts of special amusement, what is the king's demeanor?
6. How does Raoul feel about returning to Paris to meet Beaufort before leaving for Africa?
7. What is Monsieur Fouquet's Epiureans?
8. On what grounds does D'Artagnan beg Aramis to tell him the truth and the designs behind his projects in Chapter 14?
9. What type of disposition does Maria Theresa have as described in Chapter 12?
10. Why does Louis refuse to forgive or pardon Aramis and Porthos even after Fouquet points out that they spared his life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the importance of setting within "The Man in the Iron Mask." Make sure to discuss at least three different settings and how the descriptions of those settings are integral in the development of themes and characters.
Essay Topic 2
One theme that is accentuated by Dumas throughout "The Man in the Iron Mask" is that of the importance of appearances. Discuss at least three instances where this theme is displayed and comment on what societal commentary Dumas may be making by using this theme.
Essay Topic 3
Honor and "gentlemanly" or chivalrous behavior is one of the themes highlighted in "The Man in the Iron Mask." Discuss the characters of Fouquet and D'Artagnan versus the king to illustrate the dichotomy of what honor or honorable behavior is. Use specific textual examples to illustrate the character's view of honor. Does Dumas create an overarching definition of honor. What is it?
This section contains 785 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)