|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who makes an unexpected appearance in Chapter 4 and asks Percerin to make Porthos's outfit?
2. What do the figures on the Bastille clock represent?
3. Why aren't there fresh horses for Aramis and Porthos when they arrive at Orleans in Chapter 26?
4. What pets does Percerin keep due to special permission from King Louis XIV?
5. What motivation does D'Artagnan have to get to Vaux early in Chapter 12?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Raoul and Athos read upon a silver plate they find on Ste. Marguerite?
2. In Chapter 1, Aramis desires the prisoner to become King for what reason?
3. In Chapter 1, how does Aramis define ambition to the prisoner?
4. Why does Athos desire to keep Raoul home when Beaufort first asks to take him on his journey to Africa?
5. What does Fouquet hope to gain by arriving in Nantes before the other advisers?
6. How does Philippe describe the appearance of Colbert in Chapter 10?
7. Why does Aramis warn Philippe to be careful around Mademoiselle de la Valliere when he takes the place of his brother?
8. How does Beaufort maintain his grand style of living in Paris and in general?
9. Why is Moliere at M. Percerin's house in Chapter 3?
10. What is unique about the plates that Fouquet eats from?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In "The Man in the Iron Mask," Dumas utilizes the several historical figures as important characters in the end of the novel. Discuss how the historical basis for these characters as established in literature affect how their characters are viewed in the book.
Essay Topic 2
A theme that runs as an undercurrent in "The Man in the Iron Mask" applicable to contemporary issues today is that of social classes and the difference as particularly seen between the aristocracy (the rich) and the servant class. Using textual examples, discuss how Dumas establishes this theme and how it is relates to social classes as seen in popular culture today.
Essay Topic 3
In "The Man in the Iron Mask," D'Artagnan serves as an archetypal hero character. Using specific example from the text identifies how Dumas connotes the hero archetype. Is it an effective connotation, why or why not?
This section contains 776 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)