|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Louis' bed begins to sink in Chapter 17, what does he suppose is the reason?
2. Who does D'Artagnan believe would be the superior king?
3. According to Aramis in Chapter 1, who will come to fetch the prisoner in the future?
4. What is the name of the person Aramis tells Fouquet he wants to release from the Bastille?
5. What does Fouquet regard as good omen in Chapter 20?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the cause and outcome of Fontaine's first duel as as recounted by Fontaine in Chapter 6?
2. As mentioned in Chapter 8, what did the prisoner, Marchiali, arrive at the Bastile with?
3. After D'Artagnan's horse dies from exhaustion, what does he do to continue pursuing Fouquet?
4. What is the first tip that Aramis and Porthos receive that leads them to suspect that Belle-Isle is under attack?
5. What is Fouquet's first impression of the king when he opens the cell in Chapter 22?
6. What is unique about the plates that Fouquet eats from?
7. Although Louis refuses to relent and pardon Fouquet, what service does he do his wife in Chapter 54?
8. Why does Athos desire to keep Raoul home when Beaufort first asks to take him on his journey to Africa?
9. Why does Mademoiselle Montalais think that Raoul is partly to blame for Louise becoming the mistress to the king?
10. How does Raoul feel about returning to Paris to meet Beaufort before leaving for Africa?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Honor and "gentlemanly" or chivalrous behavior is one of the themes highlighted in "The Man in the Iron Mask." Discuss the characters of Fouquet and D'Artagnan versus the king to illustrate the dichotomy of what honor or honorable behavior is. Use specific textual examples to illustrate the character's view of honor. Does Dumas create an overarching definition of honor. What is it?
Essay Topic 2
Duty is a theme throughout "The Man in the Iron Mask." Discuss three different character's views of duty and how it is exhibited by their statements and actions. Based on these accounts of duty, does Dumas create an overarching definition of what duty is?
Essay Topic 3
In "The Man in the Iron Mask," D'Artagnan serves as an archetypal hero character. Using specific example from the text identifies how Dumas connotes the hero archetype. Is it an effective connotation, why or why not?
This section contains 837 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)