|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which two people overhear the king tell La Valliere he loves her in Chapter 13?
2. Who does the king request to see before he retires for the night on his first evening at Vaux?
3. What does Aramis do to persuade Baisemeux to release the prisoner without further verifying the letter is not a forgery?
4. Who comes to visit Athos after Aramis and Porthos have left?
5. What does the king claim to be suffering from to Valliere in Chapter 14?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Fouquet's first impression of the king when he opens the cell in Chapter 22?
2. Describe Porthos's demeanor when D'Artagnan comes to visit him in Chapter 2.
3. How does Biscarrat try to convince the captain to let Aramis and Porthos go in Chapter 48?
4. How does Beaufort maintain his grand style of living in Paris and in general?
5. In Chapter 1, Aramis desires the prisoner to become King for what reason?
6. Describe the two figures who take the king in custody when he finds himself taken from his room and in a subterranean passage.
7. When Fouquet goes to take Aramis's hand before his departure in Chapter 21, what causes him to become horror-stricken?
8. What reason does Valliere give for dissuading the king from arresting Fouquet at the party?
9. When D'Artagnan chides Louise at the grave of Raoul, what is her response?
10. Why is D'Artagnan perplexed and his conscience not at ease regarding the arrest of Fouquet in Chapter 19?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the point of view utilized by Dumas in "The Man in the Iron Mask." As this was a deliberate choice, discuss why Dumas selected the view he did and what influences the point of view had on the development of themes. Make sure to use specific textual evidence to support your assertions.
Essay Topic 2
A recurrent theme in "The Man in the Iron Mask" is that of vanity, and how characters react when their vanity is wounded or bruised. Compare and contrast vanity as exhibited by King Louis XIV, Fouquet and Porthos and how it either shifts throughout the novel or remains the same. Discuss how each character reacts when their vanity is wounded and what this reaction infers about that character.
Essay Topic 3
Honor and "gentlemanly" or chivalrous behavior is one of the themes highlighted in "The Man in the Iron Mask." Discuss the characters of Fouquet and D'Artagnan versus the king to illustrate the dichotomy of what honor or honorable behavior is. Use specific textual examples to illustrate the character's view of honor. Does Dumas create an overarching definition of honor. What is it?
This section contains 872 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)