|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why won't the guard fetch the governor when Louis requests him Chapter 18?
2. What does Baisemeaux do after he receives the order for the king's release from Fouquet endorsed by Louis?
3. Why doesn't Porthos leave the room when D'Artagnan desires to speak secretly with Aramis in Chapter 14?
4. According to Aramis's plan, when Philippe takes the throne, what will become of Louis XIV's wife?
5. What position does Philippe take as he ponders his decision in Chapter 10?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Fouquet hope to gain by arriving in Nantes before the other advisers?
2. What do Raoul and Athos read upon a silver plate they find on Ste. Marguerite?
3. As mentioned in Chapter 8, what did the prisoner, Marchiali, arrive at the Bastile with?
4. Describe the island of St. Marguerite as it is given in Chapter 31.
5. Although Louis refuses to relent and pardon Fouquet, what service does he do his wife in Chapter 54?
6. What strange impression seizes both Raoul and Athos as they watch Aramis and Porthos depart in Chapter 26?
7. How does Beaufort maintain his grand style of living in Paris and in general?
8. How does Moliere end up tricking Porthos into being measured without him knowing it?
9. What does Baisemeaux find ironic about the order for a prisoner's release he receives in Chapter 7?
10. What type of disposition does Maria Theresa have as described in Chapter 12?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Honor and "gentlemanly" or chivalrous behavior is one of the themes highlighted in "The Man in the Iron Mask." Discuss the characters of Fouquet and D'Artagnan versus the king to illustrate the dichotomy of what honor or honorable behavior is. Use specific textual examples to illustrate the character's view of honor. Does Dumas create an overarching definition of honor. What is it?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout "The Man in the Iron Mask" there are several journeys made by different characters. Discuss at least two specific journeys and how they could be viewed as extended metaphors for character development of the characters who undertake these journeys.
Essay Topic 3
The theme of love is central to "The Man in the Iron Mask" and has many manifestations. Compare and contrast two approaches to the idea of "what is love" as evidenced by the following characters:
a) Raoul's love for Louise de la Valliere.
b) The King's love for Louise de la Valliere.
c) Athos's love for Raoul.
d) D'Artagnan's love for his friends Aramis, Porthos and Athos.
This section contains 928 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)