|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Once the king has been imprisoned in the Bastille, where does Porthos go?
2. When Fouquet supposes that Aramis has intervened with the king to prevent his arrest in Chapter 21, how does he feel?
3. What is title is Aramis recognized by in Chapter 1?
4. What reason does Percerin give to D'Artagnan for being pressed for time and unable to help him and Porthos in Chapter 4?
5. According to Philippe in Chapter 10, who is the mortal enemy of Colbert?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Aramis's demeanor change in Chapter 8 when he writes a letter commanding Baisemeaux to release the prisoner?
2. How does Moliere end up tricking Porthos into being measured without him knowing it?
3. Why is Moliere at M. Percerin's house in Chapter 3?
4. As mentioned in Chapter 8, what did the prisoner, Marchiali, arrive at the Bastile with?
5. What is unique about Aramis's response to Porthos's death, as described in Chapter 52?
6. What is Fouquet's first impression of the king when he opens the cell in Chapter 22?
7. How does Beaufort maintain his grand style of living in Paris and in general?
8. In Chapter 21, when D'Artagnan asks Aramis when he became intimate friends with the king, how does Aramis explain their familiarity?
9. What is unique about the plates that Fouquet eats from?
10. How does Anne of Austria respond when she sees both of her sons in the same room in Chapter 24?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One theme that is accentuated by Dumas throughout "The Man in the Iron Mask" is that of the importance of appearances. Discuss at least three instances where this theme is displayed and comment on what societal commentary Dumas may be making by using this theme.
Essay Topic 2
One of the strongest literary tools employed by Dumas in "The Man in the Iron Mask" is the use of irony. Give examples of where Dumas has employed verbal, situational or comic irony and discuss in detail how this use of irony has furthered the plot, developed characters or strengthened a theme.
Essay Topic 3
One literary tool employed by Dumas in "The Man in the Iron Mask" is the use of foreshadowing. Give examples of where Dumas has employed foreshadowing and discuss in detail how this use of foreshadowing furthered the plot, developed character, or strengthened a theme.
This section contains 838 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)