|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who told Porthos to arrive at Vaux twenty-four hours before the party?
2. What does Baisemeaux request from Fouquet before he can release the prisoner in Chapter 22?
3. According to Aramis's plan, when Philippe takes the throne, what will become of Louis XIV's wife?
4. What is the king screaming when Fouquet stands outside his cell in Chapter 22?
5. What finally convinces D'Artagnan that the king does not wish to see him in Chapter 20?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Monsieur Fouquet's Epiureans?
2. How does Athos defend Louise to Raoul in Chapter 25?
3. How does Biscarrat try to convince the captain to let Aramis and Porthos go in Chapter 48?
4. How does Beaufort maintain his grand style of living in Paris and in general?
5. What was the cause and outcome of Fontaine's first duel as as recounted by Fontaine in Chapter 6?
6. Why does Louis refuse to forgive or pardon Aramis and Porthos even after Fouquet points out that they spared his life?
7. Why does Aramis warn Philippe to be careful around Mademoiselle de la Valliere when he takes the place of his brother?
8. Describe the island of St. Marguerite as it is given in Chapter 31.
9. On what grounds does D'Artagnan beg Aramis to tell him the truth and the designs behind his projects in Chapter 14?
10. Describe the village of Poitou that Aramis offers Phillippe a humble life of obscurity in.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the dramatic structure of "The Man in the Iron Mask." Use textual evidence to designate the expository, rising action, the climax, falling action and denouement and discuss whether or not it follows a typical structure.
Essay Topic 2
A theme that runs as an undercurrent in "The Man in the Iron Mask" applicable to contemporary issues today is that of social classes and the difference as particularly seen between the aristocracy (the rich) and the servant class. Using textual examples, discuss how Dumas establishes this theme and how it is relates to social classes as seen in popular culture today.
Essay Topic 3
In "The Man in the Iron Mask," D'Artagnan serves as an archetypal hero character. Using specific example from the text identifies how Dumas connotes the hero archetype. Is it an effective connotation, why or why not?
This section contains 855 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)