|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who are the two masked figures who guard the king in Chapter 17?
2. Where does Fouquet suggest that Aramis should go as a place of refuge in Chapter 21?
3. Who does Fouquet request to speak with when he discovers that he is going to be arrested the following day?
4. In Chapter 2, who does D'Artagnan plan to take Porthos to, to solve his problem?
5. What motivation does D'Artagnan have to get to Vaux early in Chapter 12?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Porthos discovers that Aramis has been untruthful with him, what is his response?
2. In Chapter 1, how does Aramis define ambition to the prisoner?
3. What is the first tip that Aramis and Porthos receive that leads them to suspect that Belle-Isle is under attack?
4. When King Louis XIV is first imprisoned at the Bastille, what does he think has become of him?
5. How does Beaufort maintain his grand style of living in Paris and in general?
6. After D'Artagnan's horse dies from exhaustion, what does he do to continue pursuing Fouquet?
7. In Chapter 21, when D'Artagnan asks Aramis when he became intimate friends with the king, how does Aramis explain their familiarity?
8. How does Colbert prove to the king that Fouquet has embezzled money from the government?
9. What is unique about the carriage that transports Aramis and Porthos on their visit to Athos?
10. Why does Mademoiselle Montalais think that Raoul is partly to blame for Louise becoming the mistress to the king?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One theme that is accentuated by Dumas throughout "The Man in the Iron Mask" is that of the importance of appearances. Discuss at least three instances where this theme is displayed and comment on what societal commentary Dumas may be making by using this theme.
Essay Topic 2
One of the strongest literary tools employed by Dumas in "The Man in the Iron Mask" is the use of irony. Give examples of where Dumas has employed verbal, situational or comic irony and discuss in detail how this use of irony has furthered the plot, developed characters or strengthened a theme.
Essay Topic 3
In "The Man in the Iron Mask," in many ways King Louis serves as the character foil to Fouquet. Using specific examples from the book illustrate how their characterizations are in antithesis to each other and how these characterizations are strengthened when shown in contrast with each other.
This section contains 831 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)