|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What profession does Baisemeaux hold?
2. What interrupts Baisemeux's meal with Aramis?
3. Which two people overhear the king tell La Valliere he loves her in Chapter 13?
4. What does Athos provide Porthos and Aramis with in Chapter 26?
5. What is unique about the postilion of the final relay of in Chapter 8?
Short Essay Questions
1. On what grounds does D'Artagnan beg Aramis to tell him the truth and the designs behind his projects in Chapter 14?
2. What strange impression seizes both Raoul and Athos as they watch Aramis and Porthos depart in Chapter 26?
3. In Chapter 1, Aramis desires the prisoner to become King for what reason?
4. What grievance does D'Artagnan voice against the king during his audience in Chapter 53?
5. When Fouquet's friends recommended that he flee the country and the mistreatment of Louis XIV, what is his response?
6. In Chapter 1, how does Aramis define ambition to the prisoner?
7. What does Fouquet hope to gain by arriving in Nantes before the other advisers?
8. In Chapter 34, when Louise La Valliere learns that Raoul is going to Africa, what does her response portray about her regard for him?
9. Why is D'Artagnan perplexed and his conscience not at ease regarding the arrest of Fouquet in Chapter 19?
10. When Porthos discovers that Aramis has been untruthful with him, what is his response?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In "The Man in the Iron Mask," D'Artagnan serves as an archetypal hero character. Using specific example from the text identifies how Dumas connotes the hero archetype. Is it an effective connotation, why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
A theme that runs as an undercurrent in "The Man in the Iron Mask" applicable to contemporary issues today is that of social classes and the difference as particularly seen between the aristocracy (the rich) and the servant class. Using textual examples, discuss how Dumas establishes this theme and how it is relates to social classes as seen in popular culture today.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout "The Man in the Iron Mask" there are several journeys made by different characters. Discuss at least two specific journeys and how they could be viewed as extended metaphors for character development of the characters who undertake these journeys.
This section contains 1,758 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)