|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 4, what follies does Aramis tell D'Artagnan he has given up?
2. What does the king claim to be suffering from to Valliere in Chapter 14?
3. According to Aramis in Chapter 1, who will come to fetch the prisoner in the future?
4. Why is D'Artagnan confused when Philippe (masquerading as the king) asks where Aramis is in Chapter 24?
5. What is the date of the fete at Vaux?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Raoul want to go to Africa and join the army?
2. What does Moliere do to quell Porthos's indignation in Chapter IV, when it is proposed that he should be measured for his outfit?
3. Although Louis refuses to relent and pardon Fouquet, what service does he do his wife in Chapter 54?
4. Describe the village of Poitou that Aramis offers Phillippe a humble life of obscurity in.
5. What type of feeling does Philippe have when he takes his brother's place in Chapter 20?
6. When Fouquet's friends recommended that he flee the country and the mistreatment of Louis XIV, what is his response?
7. What strange impression seizes both Raoul and Athos as they watch Aramis and Porthos depart in Chapter 26?
8. In Chapter 34, when Louise La Valliere learns that Raoul is going to Africa, what does her response portray about her regard for him?
9. What does Fouquet hope to gain by arriving in Nantes before the other advisers?
10. Why does Athos desire to keep Raoul home when Beaufort first asks to take him on his journey to Africa?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1One literary tool employed by Dumas in "The Man in the Iron Mask" is the use of foreshadowing. Give examples of where Dumas has employed foreshadowing and discuss in detail how this use of foreshadowing furthered the plot, developed character, or strengthened a theme.
Essay Topic 2One of the most frequently used literary devices in "The Man in the Iron Mask" is the appearance of satire. Discuss at least three examples of Dumas's use of satire in the novel and point out whether or not they are effective in emphasizing some truth. Make sure to use specific textual references to back up your assertions.
Essay Topic 3Discuss the dramatic structure of "The Man in the Iron Mask." Use textual evidence to designate the expository, rising action, the climax, falling action and denouement and discuss whether or not it follows a typical structure.
This section contains 850 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)