|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Percerin give Aramis to take with him at the end of Chapter 4?
2. How many brothers does Aramis claim to have in Chapter 9?
3. How many suits was Mouston measured for in behalf of Porthos?
4. Who does Fouquet request to speak with when he discovers that he is going to be arrested the following day?
5. Who does D'Artagnan believe would be the superior king?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Baisemeaux find ironic about the order for a prisoner's release he receives in Chapter 7?
2. Throughout the festivities at Vaux when the king is entertained with a play and all sorts of special amusement, what is the king's demeanor?
3. What are the events surrounding D'Artagnan's death?
4. How does Moliere end up tricking Porthos into being measured without him knowing it?
5. In Chapter 1, how does Aramis define ambition to the prisoner?
6. Describe the village of Poitou that Aramis offers Phillippe a humble life of obscurity in.
7. How does Anne of Austria respond when she sees both of her sons in the same room in Chapter 24?
8. How does Raoul feel about returning to Paris to meet Beaufort before leaving for Africa?
9. How does Biscarrat try to convince the captain to let Aramis and Porthos go in Chapter 48?
10. Why does Athos desire to keep Raoul home when Beaufort first asks to take him on his journey to Africa?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In "The Man in the Iron Mask," D'Artagnan serves as an archetypal hero character. Using specific example from the text identifies how Dumas connotes the hero archetype. Is it an effective connotation, why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
A theme that runs as an undercurrent in "The Man in the Iron Mask" applicable to contemporary issues today is that of social classes and the difference as particularly seen between the aristocracy (the rich) and the servant class. Using textual examples, discuss how Dumas establishes this theme and how it is relates to social classes as seen in popular culture today.
Essay Topic 3
One theme that is accentuated by Dumas throughout "The Man in the Iron Mask" is that of the importance of appearances. Discuss at least three instances where this theme is displayed and comment on what societal commentary Dumas may be making by using this theme.
This section contains 880 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)