|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does D'Artagnan request from the king before he arrest Fouquet?
2. What is title is Aramis recognized by in Chapter 1?
3. What is the date of the fete at Vaux?
4. What two things does Aramis ask of Athos in Chapter 26?
5. What does Fouquet request of Aramis after he draws his sword in Chapter 21?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Raoul feel about returning to Paris to meet Beaufort before leaving for Africa?
2. Why is Fouquet surprised that Aramis would lodge himself above the king in Chapter 11?
3. How does Biscarrat try to convince the captain to let Aramis and Porthos go in Chapter 48?
4. Why does Louis refuse to forgive or pardon Aramis and Porthos even after Fouquet points out that they spared his life?
5. How does Beaufort maintain his grand style of living in Paris and in general?
6. Describe the two figures who take the king in custody when he finds himself taken from his room and in a subterranean passage.
7. Describe the island of St. Marguerite as it is given in Chapter 31.
8. How does Colbert prove to the king that Fouquet has embezzled money from the government?
9. What is Fouquet's first impression of the king when he opens the cell in Chapter 22?
10. In Chapter 1, Aramis desires the prisoner to become King for what reason?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout "The Man in the Iron Mask" there are several journeys made by different characters. Discuss at least two specific journeys and how they could be viewed as extended metaphors for character development of the characters who undertake these journeys.
Essay Topic 2
One of the most frequently used literary devices in "The Man in the Iron Mask" is the appearance of satire. Discuss at least three examples of Dumas's use of satire in the novel and point out whether or not they are effective in emphasizing some truth. Make sure to use specific textual references to back up your assertions.
Essay Topic 3
In "The Man in the Iron Mask," in many ways King Louis serves as the character foil to Fouquet. Using specific examples from the book illustrate how their characterizations are in antithesis to each other and how these characterizations are strengthened when shown in contrast with each other.
This section contains 836 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)