|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who are the two masked figures who guard the king in Chapter 17?
2. Where does D'Artagnan sleep in Fouquet's room in Chapter 19?
3. What prisoner's name does Baisemeaux read on the release in Chapter 8?
4. When Louis' bed begins to sink in Chapter 17, what does he suppose is the reason?
5. How does Fouquet regard Aramis's act of abducting Louis XIV?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the two figures who take the king in custody when he finds himself taken from his room and in a subterranean passage.
2. How does Moliere end up tricking Porthos into being measured without him knowing it?
3. What type of feeling does Philippe have when he takes his brother's place in Chapter 20?
4. As mentioned in Chapter 8, what did the prisoner, Marchiali, arrive at the Bastile with?
5. Why does Mademoiselle Montalais think that Raoul is partly to blame for Louise becoming the mistress to the king?
6. Why does Aramis warn Philippe to be careful around Mademoiselle de la Valliere when he takes the place of his brother?
7. What is Fouquet's first impression of the king when he opens the cell in Chapter 22?
8. When Porthos discovers that Aramis has been untruthful with him, what is his response?
9. What is unique about the carriage that transports Aramis and Porthos on their visit to Athos?
10. Describe Porthos's demeanor when D'Artagnan comes to visit him in Chapter 2.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout "The Man in the Iron Mask" there are several journeys made by different characters. Discuss at least two specific journeys and how they could be viewed as extended metaphors for character development of the characters who undertake these journeys.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the dramatic structure of "The Man in the Iron Mask." Use textual evidence to designate the expository, rising action, the climax, falling action and denouement and discuss whether or not it follows a typical structure.
Essay Topic 3
Duty is a theme throughout "The Man in the Iron Mask." Discuss three different character's views of duty and how it is exhibited by their statements and actions. Based on these accounts of duty, does Dumas create an overarching definition of what duty is?
This section contains 1,789 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)