Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Raoul in need of consolation from his father in Chapter 26?
2. What profession does Monsieur Lebrun hold?
3. While D'Artagnan is looking for Aramis in Chapter 19, what does Fouquet do?
4. How much money does Aramis offer to Philippe should he decide to go to Bas-Poitou?
5. What did Aramis send to Philippe in the prison before he freed him from the Bastille?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Raoul and Athos read upon a silver plate they find on Ste. Marguerite?
2. What is unique about the plates that Fouquet eats from?
3. Describe the village of Poitou that Aramis offers Phillippe a humble life of obscurity in.
4. As mentioned in Chapter 8, what did the prisoner, Marchiali, arrive at the Bastile with?
5. How does Athos defend Louise to Raoul in Chapter 25?
6. Why is D'Artagnan perplexed and his conscience not at ease regarding the arrest of Fouquet in Chapter 19?
7. Why does Louis refuse to forgive or pardon Aramis and Porthos even after Fouquet points out that they spared his life?
8. In Chapter 1, Aramis desires the prisoner to become King for what reason?
9. How does Raoul feel about returning to Paris to meet Beaufort before leaving for Africa?
10. How does Anne of Austria respond when she sees both of her sons in the same room in Chapter 24?
Essay Topic 1
One of the most frequently used literary devices in "The Man in the Iron Mask" is the appearance of satire. Discuss at least three examples of Dumas's use of satire in the novel and point out whether or not they are effective in emphasizing some truth. Make sure to use specific textual references to back up your assertions.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the point of view utilized by Dumas in "The Man in the Iron Mask." As this was a deliberate choice, discuss why Dumas selected the view he did and what influences the point of view had on the development of themes. Make sure to use specific textual evidence to support your assertions.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the importance of setting within "The Man in the Iron Mask." Make sure to discuss at least three different settings and how the descriptions of those settings are integral in the development of themes and characters.
This section contains 854 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)