|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Baisemeaux do after he receives the order for the king's release from Fouquet endorsed by Louis?
2. Where does D'Artagnan sleep in Fouquet's room in Chapter 19?
3. What interrupts Baisemeux's meal with Aramis?
4. What does Fouquet regard as good omen in Chapter 20?
5. Who is the architect of Vaux-le-Vicomte?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the island of St. Marguerite as it is given in Chapter 31.
2. What do Raoul and Athos read upon a silver plate they find on Ste. Marguerite?
3. What grievance does D'Artagnan voice against the king during his audience in Chapter 53?
4. In Chapter 1, Aramis desires the prisoner to become King for what reason?
5. How does Moliere end up tricking Porthos into being measured without him knowing it?
6. What does Moliere do to quell Porthos's indignation in Chapter IV, when it is proposed that he should be measured for his outfit?
7. Describe the two figures who take the king in custody when he finds himself taken from his room and in a subterranean passage.
8. How does Philippe describe the appearance of Colbert in Chapter 10?
9. What is the first tip that Aramis and Porthos receive that leads them to suspect that Belle-Isle is under attack?
10. When Fouquet goes to take Aramis's hand before his departure in Chapter 21, what causes him to become horror-stricken?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The theme of love is central to "The Man in the Iron Mask" and has many manifestations. Compare and contrast two approaches to the idea of "what is love" as evidenced by the following characters:
a) Raoul's love for Louise de la Valliere.
b) The King's love for Louise de la Valliere.
c) Athos's love for Raoul.
d) D'Artagnan's love for his friends Aramis, Porthos and Athos.
Essay Topic 2
What is Alexandre Dumas's writing style? Discuss both the mechanical aspect of his writing and his "voice" throughout the novel. Make sure to discuss what literary tools and devices he relies on most and what specific parts of the text reflect his voice?
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the novel, "The Man in the Iron Mask," Dumas sets forth several conflicting views of allegiance. Compare and contrast the specific view on the purpose and importance of allegiance as demonstrated by one of the following character pairings:
a) Fouquet and Aramis
b) King Louis and Philippe
c) Colbert and D'Artagnan
Give specific textual information on how these characters exhibit and come to these views. Also in the conclusion address whether or not you feel that Dumas is purporting one view of allegiance as being correct or true.
This section contains 902 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)