|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the king screaming when Fouquet stands outside his cell in Chapter 22?
2. What does Aramis do to persuade Baisemeux to release the prisoner without further verifying the letter is not a forgery?
3. How many suits was Mouston measured for in behalf of Porthos?
4. When Fontaine tells his companions of his first duel in Chapter 6, what is their response?
5. Which two people overhear the king tell La Valliere he loves her in Chapter 13?
Short Essay Questions
1. Throughout the festivities at Vaux when the king is entertained with a play and all sorts of special amusement, what is the king's demeanor?
2. What is Fouquet's first impression of the king when he opens the cell in Chapter 22?
3. How does Colbert prove to the king that Fouquet has embezzled money from the government?
4. What is the first tip that Aramis and Porthos receive that leads them to suspect that Belle-Isle is under attack?
5. How does Anne of Austria respond when she sees both of her sons in the same room in Chapter 24?
6. Why does Raoul want to go to Africa and join the army?
7. What is unique about Aramis's response to Porthos's death, as described in Chapter 52?
8. Why does Athos desire to keep Raoul home when Beaufort first asks to take him on his journey to Africa?
9. Why does Mademoiselle Montalais think that Raoul is partly to blame for Louise becoming the mistress to the king?
10. When D'Artagnan chides Louise at the grave of Raoul, what is her response?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the point of view utilized by Dumas in "The Man in the Iron Mask." As this was a deliberate choice, discuss why Dumas selected the view he did and what influences the point of view had on the development of themes. Make sure to use specific textual evidence to support your assertions.
Essay Topic 2
In "The Man in the Iron Mask," D'Artagnan serves as an archetypal hero character. Using specific example from the text identifies how Dumas connotes the hero archetype. Is it an effective connotation, why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
A theme that runs as an undercurrent in "The Man in the Iron Mask" applicable to contemporary issues today is that of social classes and the difference as particularly seen between the aristocracy (the rich) and the servant class. Using textual examples, discuss how Dumas establishes this theme and how it is relates to social classes as seen in popular culture today.
This section contains 851 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)