|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why won't the guards allow Fouquet to enter the Bastille in Chapter 22?
2. What house did the late Madame du Vallon have a chamber with a secret door in?
3. What two things does Aramis ask of Athos in Chapter 26?
4. What is title is Aramis recognized by in Chapter 1?
5. What is Pellisson working on in Chapter 6, for the fete at Vaux?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is implied by D'Artagnan's warning manner towards Fouquet in Chapter 38?
2. What was the cause and outcome of Fontaine's first duel as as recounted by Fontaine in Chapter 6?
3. When D'Artagnan chides Louise at the grave of Raoul, what is her response?
4. Why is Moliere at M. Percerin's house in Chapter 3?
5. Describe the island of St. Marguerite as it is given in Chapter 31.
6. What do Raoul and Athos read upon a silver plate they find on Ste. Marguerite?
7. In Chapter 1, how does Aramis define ambition to the prisoner?
8. Describe Porthos's demeanor when D'Artagnan comes to visit him in Chapter 2.
9. Why is Baisemeaux hesitant to take back the prisoner in Chapter 17?
10. How does Colbert prove to the king that Fouquet has embezzled money from the government?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One of the most frequently used literary devices in "The Man in the Iron Mask" is the appearance of satire. Discuss at least three examples of Dumas's use of satire in the novel and point out whether or not they are effective in emphasizing some truth. Make sure to use specific textual references to back up your assertions.
Essay Topic 2
In "The Man in the Iron Mask," in many ways King Louis serves as the character foil to Fouquet. Using specific examples from the book illustrate how their characterizations are in antithesis to each other and how these characterizations are strengthened when shown in contrast with each other.
Essay Topic 3
One recurrent theme in "The Man in the Iron Mask" is that of respect and reverence for authority figures such as Louis and Philippe. Using specific textual examples, compare and contrast at least two approaches or attitudes toward respect and reverence as demonstrated by specific characters. Discuss what if any overarching message Dumas is conveying about the importance or unimportance of respect and reverence.
This section contains 907 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)