|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What aim does D'Artagnan suppose that Aramis has in his suspicious activities with Fouquet, Baisemeaux, and Percerin?
2. What is unique about the postilion of the final relay of in Chapter 8?
3. What is the king screaming when Fouquet stands outside his cell in Chapter 22?
4. Who told Porthos to arrive at Vaux twenty-four hours before the party?
5. Why aren't there fresh horses for Aramis and Porthos when they arrive at Orleans in Chapter 26?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the first tip that Aramis and Porthos receive that leads them to suspect that Belle-Isle is under attack?
2. What does Fouquet hope to gain by arriving in Nantes before the other advisers?
3. When Porthos asks what they should do if they see Biscarrat in Chapter 47, how does Aramis respond?
4. Why does Athos desire to keep Raoul home when Beaufort first asks to take him on his journey to Africa?
5. What is unique about the plates that Fouquet eats from?
6. Why is Baisemeaux hesitant to take back the prisoner in Chapter 17?
7. Why is D'Artagnan perplexed and his conscience not at ease regarding the arrest of Fouquet in Chapter 19?
8. What was the cause and outcome of Fontaine's first duel as as recounted by Fontaine in Chapter 6?
9. What does Baisemeaux find ironic about the order for a prisoner's release he receives in Chapter 7?
10. What does Moliere do to quell Porthos's indignation in Chapter IV, when it is proposed that he should be measured for his outfit?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the point of view utilized by Dumas in "The Man in the Iron Mask." As this was a deliberate choice, discuss why Dumas selected the view he did and what influences the point of view had on the development of themes. Make sure to use specific textual evidence to support your assertions.
Essay Topic 2
In "The Man in the Iron Mask," D'Artagnan serves as an archetypal hero character. Using specific example from the text identifies how Dumas connotes the hero archetype. Is it an effective connotation, why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
One literary tool employed by Dumas in "The Man in the Iron Mask" is the use of foreshadowing. Give examples of where Dumas has employed foreshadowing and discuss in detail how this use of foreshadowing furthered the plot, developed character, or strengthened a theme.
This section contains 1,866 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)