|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What reason does D'Artagnan claim to be laughing in the end of Chapter 5?
(a) He is laughing at a joke made by Porthos.
(b) He laughs at a pleasant memory.
(c) He doesn't give a reason for his laughter.
(d) He is laughing over his good forutne.
2. When Louis' bed begins to sink in Chapter 17, what does he suppose is the reason?
(a) He guesses he is being kidnapped.
(b) He thinks it is an earthquake.
(c) He thinks he's having a nightmare.
(d) He doesn't realize his bed is moving at all.
3. Who makes an unexpected appearance in Chapter 4 and asks Percerin to make Porthos's outfit?
(b) The king.
(d) Monsieur Fouquet.
4. How did Percerin receive his title as tailor to the king?
(a) He was elected by the guild of tailors.
(b) It is a hereditary title.
(c) He won a design contest for the wedding of Henry III.
(d) He was appointed due to his social connections at court.
5. What is unique about the ceiling of the king's bedchamber at Vaux?
(a) It is pure gold.
(b) It is glass and can see into the starry night.
(c) It has a painting of good and bad dreams on it.
(d) It has a large chandelier with 1000 candles on it.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why doesn't Porthos leave the room when D'Artagnan desires to speak secretly with Aramis in Chapter 14?
2. What prisoner's name does Baisemeaux read on the release in Chapter 8?
3. How many brothers does Aramis claim to have in Chapter 9?
4. Who does Baisemeaux think that Aramis resembles in Chapter 7?
5. Why won't the guard fetch the governor when Louis requests him Chapter 18?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 21, when D'Artagnan asks Aramis when he became intimate friends with the king, how does Aramis explain their familiarity?
2. Why is Moliere at M. Percerin's house in Chapter 3?
3. How does Beaufort maintain his grand style of living in Paris and in general?
4. When King Louis XIV is first imprisoned at the Bastille, what does he think has become of him?
5. What grievance does D'Artagnan voice against the king during his audience in Chapter 53?
6. Why is the jailer hesitant to tell the governor that the prisoner, Louis XIV, has gone mad and has broken his chair?
7. What type of disposition does Maria Theresa have as described in Chapter 12?
8. Describe the two figures who take the king in custody when he finds himself taken from his room and in a subterranean passage.
9. On what grounds does D'Artagnan beg Aramis to tell him the truth and the designs behind his projects in Chapter 14?
10. How does Philippe describe the appearance of Colbert in Chapter 10?
This section contains 890 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)