|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What profession does Baisemeaux hold?
(b) Govenor of the Prison.
(c) Prison Guard.
2. What position does Philippe take as he ponders his decision in Chapter 10?
(a) He kneels in prayer with his head constantly bowed.
(b) He stands gazing at the heavens.
(c) He paces back and forth in front of the carriage.
(d) He lays down on the ground and covers his face with his hands as he thinks.
3. When the king leaves the passage in Chapter 17, where is he taken?
(a) He is taken to the dungeon of Vaux.
(b) He is taken to a cave.
(c) He is taken to a waiting carriage.
(d) He is taken to a shack in the village of Melun.
4. Who gives D'Artagnan an order to cover Philippe's face with an iron mask?
(c) The Queen.
(d) The king himself.
5. At what time of night was Louis XIV taken from his bed?
(a) Between twelve and one o'clock.
(b) The precise time of the switch is not known.
(c) Just before dawn.
(d) Just after dusk.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Philippe totter and seem a bit unstable when he goes for a walk around the carriage in Chapter 10?
2. How much money does Aramis offer to Philippe should he decide to go to Bas-Poitou?
3. Why do Porthos and D'Artagnan approach Percerin's house on foot in Chapter 3?
4. Who makes an unexpected appearance in Chapter 4 and asks Percerin to make Porthos's outfit?
5. What does Baisemeaux do after he receives the order for the king's release from Fouquet endorsed by Louis?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Fouquet's friends recommended that he flee the country and the mistreatment of Louis XIV, what is his response?
2. What type of disposition does Maria Theresa have as described in Chapter 12?
3. On what grounds does D'Artagnan beg Aramis to tell him the truth and the designs behind his projects in Chapter 14?
4. What was the cause and outcome of Fontaine's first duel as as recounted by Fontaine in Chapter 6?
5. After D'Artagnan's horse dies from exhaustion, what does he do to continue pursuing Fouquet?
6. Why does Raoul want to go to Africa and join the army?
7. Why does Athos desire to keep Raoul home when Beaufort first asks to take him on his journey to Africa?
8. In Chapter 34, when Louise La Valliere learns that Raoul is going to Africa, what does her response portray about her regard for him?
9. What possible reason does D'Artagnan suggest for the small size of the secret door leading into the late Madame du Vallon's chamber?
10. What strange impression seizes both Raoul and Athos as they watch Aramis and Porthos depart in Chapter 26?
This section contains 949 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)