|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why won't the guards allow Fouquet to enter the Bastille in Chapter 22?
(a) There is a riot going on in the prison and no one is being allowed in or out.
(b) They dislike Fouquet.
(c) They do not believe it is Fouquet.
(d) They are under orders to prevent Fouquet from entering the prison.
2. Where is Aramis's room at Vaux?
(a) Directly under the king's room.
(b) Directly to the right of the king's room.
(c) Directly to the left of the king's room.
(d) Directly above the king's room.
3. What is the name of the village where the prisoner spent his early years?
(c) St. Cloud.
4. What does Fouquet request from the king regarding Aramis and Porthos in Chapter 23?
(a) He asks that they are sentenced to death.
(b) He asks that they are exiled.
(c) He asks that they are pardoned.
(d) He asks that they are imprisoned for life.
5. What is the king screaming when Fouquet stands outside his cell in Chapter 22?
(a) Death to Aramis!
(c) Death to Fouquet!
(d) I am not Philippe!
Short Answer Questions
1. What profession does Baisemeaux hold?
2. What is unique about the ceiling of the king's bedchamber at Vaux?
3. What action does Fouquet suggest Louis take before they return to Vaux?
4. Why is Raoul in need of consolation from his father in Chapter 26?
5. What house did the late Madame du Vallon have a chamber with a secret door in?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 34, when Louise La Valliere learns that Raoul is going to Africa, what does her response portray about her regard for him?
2. How does Beaufort maintain his grand style of living in Paris and in general?
3. What does Baisemeaux find ironic about the order for a prisoner's release he receives in Chapter 7?
4. Describe the two figures who take the king in custody when he finds himself taken from his room and in a subterranean passage.
5. What possible reason does D'Artagnan suggest for the small size of the secret door leading into the late Madame du Vallon's chamber?
6. Throughout the festivities at Vaux when the king is entertained with a play and all sorts of special amusement, what is the king's demeanor?
7. Why is Fouquet surprised that Aramis would lodge himself above the king in Chapter 11?
8. Why is the jailer hesitant to tell the governor that the prisoner, Louis XIV, has gone mad and has broken his chair?
9. What is Fouquet's first impression of the king when he opens the cell in Chapter 22?
10. How does Anne of Austria respond when she sees both of her sons in the same room in Chapter 24?
This section contains 982 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)