|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What prompts D'Artagnan to suspect that Aramis is up to something in Chapter 14?
(a) His instincts.
(b) A conversation between Aramis and Philippe he overheard.
(c) A private letter of Aramis's that he has intercepted.
(d) A tip from a servant.
2. When Baisemeaux hears the noise of Louis in his cell in Chapter 18, what is his response?
(a) He sends a guard to silence Louis.
(b) He is annoyed, but just continues on with his meal.
(c) He laughs that the prisoner has gone mad as if it is a joke.
(d) He goes to see what the commotion is about.
3. How does Fouquet regard Aramis's act of abducting Louis XIV?
(a) He regards it as a great crime and it angers him.
(b) He is indifferent to the action.
(c) The fate of Louis saddens him.
(d) He views it as great luck for him.
4. Why is the king angry at their slow progress to Vaux in Chapter 12?
(a) He is fatigued and ready for bed.
(b) He was hoping to arrive early to walk with La Valliere.
(c) He is feeling ill and the stops are annoying him.
(d) He is anxious to see Fouquet's palace for the first time.
5. How did the preceptor and the nurse of the prisoner die?
(a) They were hung.
(b) They were executed.
(c) They drowned.
(d) They were poisoned.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much money has Fouquet borrowed and not repaid?
2. How much money does the king win during his card game at Vaux?
3. According to Philippe in Chapter 10, who is the mortal enemy of Colbert?
4. Who does King Louis blame for his imprisonment in Chapter 18?
5. In Chapter 4, what follies does Aramis tell D'Artagnan he has given up?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Raoul and Athos read upon a silver plate they find on Ste. Marguerite?
2. When Fouquet's friends recommended that he flee the country and the mistreatment of Louis XIV, what is his response?
3. What reason does Valliere give for dissuading the king from arresting Fouquet at the party?
4. What is unique about the plates that Fouquet eats from?
5. How does Colbert prove to the king that Fouquet has embezzled money from the government?
6. What possible reason does D'Artagnan suggest for the small size of the secret door leading into the late Madame du Vallon's chamber?
7. When King Louis XIV is first imprisoned at the Bastille, what does he think has become of him?
8. How does Beaufort maintain his grand style of living in Paris and in general?
9. Why does Louis refuse to forgive or pardon Aramis and Porthos even after Fouquet points out that they spared his life?
10. What type of captain is Beaufort once he arrives in Toulon?
This section contains 864 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)