|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. While D'Artagnan is looking for Aramis in Chapter 19, what does Fouquet do?
(a) He attempts to escape.
(b) He writes a letter to the king begging mercy.
(c) He stays in his bed and cries over his desperate situation.
(d) He burns incriminating papers.
2. Why does Aramis propose they take their carriage off of the road so they can converse in Chapter 8?
(a) They want to abandon the carriage and not have it draw suspicion.
(b) The carriage is broken and needs to be repaired.
(c) He does not want to take the carriage off of the road, but wants to have the conversation immediately.
(d) He does not want another carriage to stop and offer assistance to them.
3. Who does Fouquet request to speak with when he discovers that he is going to be arrested the following day?
(a) The king.
(d) Louise La Valliere.
4. What position does Philippe take as he ponders his decision in Chapter 10?
(a) He paces back and forth in front of the carriage.
(b) He kneels in prayer with his head constantly bowed.
(c) He lays down on the ground and covers his face with his hands as he thinks.
(d) He stands gazing at the heavens.
5. What is the king screaming when Fouquet stands outside his cell in Chapter 22?
(a) Death to Fouquet!
(b) Death to Aramis!
(d) I am not Philippe!
Short Answer Questions
1. What house did the late Madame du Vallon have a chamber with a secret door in?
2. Who comes to visit Athos after Aramis and Porthos have left?
3. What is Pellisson working on in Chapter 6, for the fete at Vaux?
4. What does Baisemeaux request from Fouquet before he can release the prisoner in Chapter 22?
5. When the king leaves the passage in Chapter 17, where is he taken?
Short Essay Questions
1. After D'Artagnan's horse dies from exhaustion, what does he do to continue pursuing Fouquet?
2. What is Fouquet's first impression of the king when he opens the cell in Chapter 22?
3. Describe the island of St. Marguerite as it is given in Chapter 31.
4. How does Beaufort maintain his grand style of living in Paris and in general?
5. Describe the two figures who take the king in custody when he finds himself taken from his room and in a subterranean passage.
6. When Porthos asks what they should do if they see Biscarrat in Chapter 47, how does Aramis respond?
7. Why is Baisemeaux hesitant to take back the prisoner in Chapter 17?
8. What does Baisemeaux find ironic about the order for a prisoner's release he receives in Chapter 7?
9. How does Biscarrat try to convince the captain to let Aramis and Porthos go in Chapter 48?
10. Why is D'Artagnan perplexed and his conscience not at ease regarding the arrest of Fouquet in Chapter 19?
This section contains 952 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)