|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is D'Artagnan confused when Philippe (masquerading as the king) asks where Aramis is in Chapter 24?
(a) D'Artagnan does not know Aramis is gone.
(b) D'Artagnan notices a difference in Philippe that he cannot identify.
(c) D'Artagnan does not understand the king's friendliness with Aramis.
(d) D'Artagnan believes that Aramis is on a mission for the king.
2. What does Aramis do when Baisemeaux is not looking in Chapter 8?
(a) He switches the letter of release for a forgery.
(b) He puts some sleeping medicine in Baisemeaux's wine.
(c) He steals the keys to several cells.
(d) He drops his hat out of the window as a signal.
3. What does Aramis do to persuade Baisemeux to release the prisoner without further verifying the letter is not a forgery?
(a) He claims that he saw the order signed in his presence.
(b) He threatens Baisemeux with pistols to release the prisoner.
(c) He writes a letter verfiying the order.
(d) He gets Baisemeux drunk and then persuades him.
4. Where does Fouquet suggest that Aramis should go as a place of refuge in Chapter 21?
5. Who told Porthos to arrive at Vaux twenty-four hours before the party?
(a) The King.
(c) Monsieur Fouquet.
Short Answer Questions
1. When D'Artagnan comes to visit Porthos in Chapter 2, what reason does Porthos give for his melancholy?
2. When Baisemeaux hears the noise of Louis in his cell in Chapter 18, what is his response?
3. Why does Philippe totter and seem a bit unstable when he goes for a walk around the carriage in Chapter 10?
4. What is title is Aramis recognized by in Chapter 1?
5. How much money does Aramis offer to Philippe should he decide to go to Bas-Poitou?
Short Essay Questions
1. What strange impression seizes both Raoul and Athos as they watch Aramis and Porthos depart in Chapter 26?
2. Why is Fouquet surprised that Aramis would lodge himself above the king in Chapter 11?
3. Although Louis refuses to relent and pardon Fouquet, what service does he do his wife in Chapter 54?
4. How does Anne of Austria respond when she sees both of her sons in the same room in Chapter 24?
5. What is unique about the carriage that transports Aramis and Porthos on their visit to Athos?
6. In Chapter 41 as the King thinks back on D'Artagnan's service to him, how does he remember it?
7. What is the first tip that Aramis and Porthos receive that leads them to suspect that Belle-Isle is under attack?
8. What is implied by D'Artagnan's warning manner towards Fouquet in Chapter 38?
9. What has Athos been preparing for in Chapter 57 and 58?
10. What does Moliere do to quell Porthos's indignation in Chapter IV, when it is proposed that he should be measured for his outfit?
This section contains 931 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)