|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 9, what does Aramis claim has consecrated Philippe to be king?
(a) The persecution he has undergone.
(b) The legitimacy of his birth.
(c) The misdeeds of Louis XIV.
(d) The will of the people.
2. How does Fouquet regard Aramis's act of abducting Louis XIV?
(a) The fate of Louis saddens him.
(b) He regards it as a great crime and it angers him.
(c) He views it as great luck for him.
(d) He is indifferent to the action.
3. What cell is the king placed in at the Bastille in Chapter 17?
(a) Philippe's old cell.
(b) Baisemeaux's own quarters.
(c) He is thrown in with several other mad prisoners.
(d) The very bottom dungeon.
4. Where does Aramis invite Monsieur Moliere to go, in the beginning of Chapter 5?
(a) The the palace.
(c) St. Mande.
(d) Aramis's home.
5. Once the king has been imprisoned in the Bastille, where does Porthos go?
(a) He stays at the Bastille to guard the prisoner until Aramis returns.
(b) He goes into Paris to drink with some friends.
(c) He goes to his chateaux.
(d) He returns to Vaux.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Fouquet request from the king regarding Aramis and Porthos in Chapter 23?
2. Who told Porthos to arrive at Vaux twenty-four hours before the party?
3. What is the king screaming when Fouquet stands outside his cell in Chapter 22?
4. Who gives D'Artagnan an order to cover Philippe's face with an iron mask?
5. How did the preceptor and the nurse of the prisoner die?
Short Essay Questions
1. What reason does Valliere give for dissuading the king from arresting Fouquet at the party?
2. How does Aramis's demeanor change in Chapter 8 when he writes a letter commanding Baisemeaux to release the prisoner?
3. Why does Mademoiselle Montalais think that Raoul is partly to blame for Louise becoming the mistress to the king?
4. What is unique about Aramis's response to Porthos's death, as described in Chapter 52?
5. When Porthos asks what they should do if they see Biscarrat in Chapter 47, how does Aramis respond?
6. When Fouquet goes to take Aramis's hand before his departure in Chapter 21, what causes him to become horror-stricken?
7. Describe Porthos's demeanor when D'Artagnan comes to visit him in Chapter 2.
8. What type of disposition does Maria Theresa have as described in Chapter 12?
9. Why is Fouquet surprised that Aramis would lodge himself above the king in Chapter 11?
10. Describe the village of Poitou that Aramis offers Phillippe a humble life of obscurity in.
This section contains 893 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)