|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the date of the fete at Vaux?
(a) December 21.
(b) August 15.
(c) July 14.
(d) June 21.
2. Why does Philippe have difficulty understanding what Anne of Austria whispers in his ear in Chapter 24?
(a) He is deaf in one ear.
(b) He does not have difficulty understanding her.
(c) The queen references something Philippe is unaware of.
(d) He does not speak Spanish.
3. Who does D'Artagnan believe would be the superior king?
(a) He think neither of them would be suited to the job.
(b) He thinks Philippe would be superior.
(c) He thinks Louis is the better king.
(d) He thinks they are both equal in their faculties.
4. What question does Queen Anne ask Fouquet during the banquet in Chapter 13?
(a) She asks the names of the exotic fruit.
(b) She asks about Fouquet's family.
(c) She asks Fouquet what his favorite dish was.
(d) She asks who is Fouquet's decorator.
5. When Louis' bed begins to sink in Chapter 17, what does he suppose is the reason?
(a) He thinks it is an earthquake.
(b) He guesses he is being kidnapped.
(c) He doesn't realize his bed is moving at all.
(d) He thinks he's having a nightmare.
6. When D'Artagnan comes to visit Porthos in Chapter 2, what reason does Porthos give for his melancholy?
(a) He had not been invited to a party at Vaux he'd hoped to attend.
(b) He has no clothes that fit him.
(c) His estate at Vallon was recently destroyed by a fire.
(d) He had received bad news about his investments in Bracieux.
7. What is the name of the city where Philippe may choose to live a free life incognito?
(b) St. Cloud.
8. Who is the architect of Vaux-le-Vicomte?
9. What causes King Louis to come to terms with his imprisonment in the Bastille?
(a) The appearance of his first meager meal.
(b) The appearance of a giant rat.
(c) The sounds of other prisoners wailing in agony.
(d) The shadow of the prison bars cast by the morning sun on his wall.
10. What profession does Monsieur Lebrun hold?
(a) He is Aramis's servant.
(b) He is a messenger.
(c) He is one of Fouquet's painters.
(d) He is a valet for Percerin.
11. While D'Artagnan is looking for Aramis in Chapter 19, what does Fouquet do?
(a) He stays in his bed and cries over his desperate situation.
(b) He burns incriminating papers.
(c) He attempts to escape.
(d) He writes a letter to the king begging mercy.
12. What does D'Artagnan request from the king before he arrest Fouquet?
(a) His instructions in writing.
(b) A trial for Fouquet.
(c) A conference with the other ministers of state.
(d) Additional men.
13. What sentence would befall those who try to communicate with the prisoner "Marchiali" after he is re-incarcerated?
(c) Lifetime imprisonment.
(d) Ten years impriosonment.
14. When Baisemeaux hears the noise of Louis in his cell in Chapter 18, what is his response?
(a) He is annoyed, but just continues on with his meal.
(b) He goes to see what the commotion is about.
(c) He sends a guard to silence Louis.
(d) He laughs that the prisoner has gone mad as if it is a joke.
15. How does Fouquet regard Aramis's act of abducting Louis XIV?
(a) The fate of Louis saddens him.
(b) He regards it as a great crime and it angers him.
(c) He is indifferent to the action.
(d) He views it as great luck for him.
Short Answer Questions
1. Once the king has been imprisoned in the Bastille, where does Porthos go?
2. What does Porthos believe he is to receive for his part in the plot?
3. Who does King Louis blame for his imprisonment in Chapter 18?
4. In Chapter 4, what follies does Aramis tell D'Artagnan he has given up?
5. What does Fouquet regard as good omen in Chapter 20?
This section contains 675 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)