|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Philippe hope to learn from observing the king unseen in Chapter 14?
(a) He wants to learn which mistress the king consorts with.
(b) He wants to see how the king interacts with his pet dog.
(c) He wants to learn the ceremony of the king's retiring.
(d) He wants to know who the king converses with.
2. Why do Porthos and D'Artagnan approach Percerin's house on foot in Chapter 3?
(a) It is a rule that everyone is to approach Percerin's house on foot.
(b) To move ahead of the line of waiting carriages.
(c) Their horses are tired and can go no further.
(d) They want to enter Percerin's house secretly.
3. Where does Aramis invite Monsieur Moliere to go, in the beginning of Chapter 5?
(a) The the palace.
(b) Aramis's home.
(c) St. Mande.
4. While D'Artagnan is looking for Aramis in Chapter 19, what does Fouquet do?
(a) He burns incriminating papers.
(b) He stays in his bed and cries over his desperate situation.
(c) He writes a letter to the king begging mercy.
(d) He attempts to escape.
5. What is Pellisson working on in Chapter 6, for the fete at Vaux?
(a) A song for King Louis XIV.
(b) A musical composition for the party.
(c) A painting for the king.
(d) The prologue to a play.
6. Who told Porthos to arrive at Vaux twenty-four hours before the party?
(a) The King.
(b) Monsieur Fouquet.
7. What prompts D'Artagnan to suspect that Aramis is up to something in Chapter 14?
(a) His instincts.
(b) A tip from a servant.
(c) A private letter of Aramis's that he has intercepted.
(d) A conversation between Aramis and Philippe he overheard.
8. What prisoner's name does Baisemeaux read on the release in Chapter 8?
(b) The prisoner is not named but is designated by the number 687.
9. What aim does D'Artagnan suppose that Aramis has in his suspicious activities with Fouquet, Baisemeaux, and Percerin?
(a) The overthrow of Fouquet.
(b) He does not suspect Aramis of have alterior motives.
(c) The overthrow of Colbert.
(d) The attainment of a vast fortune.
10. At what time of night was Louis XIV taken from his bed?
(a) Between twelve and one o'clock.
(b) The precise time of the switch is not known.
(c) Just before dawn.
(d) Just after dusk.
11. What does is the order that Aramis gives to D'Artagnan for in Chapter 20?
(a) The arrest of Colbert.
(b) The release of Fouquet.
(c) The arrest of Fouquet.
(d) The discharge of several soldiers.
12. How does Fouquet regard Aramis's act of abducting Louis XIV?
(a) The fate of Louis saddens him.
(b) He views it as great luck for him.
(c) He regards it as a great crime and it angers him.
(d) He is indifferent to the action.
13. How much money does the king win during his card game at Vaux?
(a) Three thousand pistoles.
(b) He does not lose or win anything, but breaks even.
(c) He loses money, but is given one hundred pistoles as a consolation.
(d) One thousand pistoles.
14. What do the figures on the Bastille clock represent?
(a) A lion and several prisoners.
(b) St. Peter in Bonds.
(c) The Greek God of war.
(d) The three fates.
15. Who waited on the king during the dinner during Chapter 13?
(d) Queen Anne.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who are the two masked figures who guard the king in Chapter 17?
2. What does Aramis give Baisemeaux when they arrive at the Bastille in Chapter 17?
3. What is unique about the postilion of the final relay of in Chapter 8?
4. What does Aramis do when Baisemeaux is not looking in Chapter 8?
5. How did the prisoner discover that the lady who visited him monthly during his childhood was the Queen?
This section contains 686 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)