|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Baisemeaux hears the noise of Louis in his cell in Chapter 18, what is his response?
(a) He goes to see what the commotion is about.
(b) He laughs that the prisoner has gone mad as if it is a joke.
(c) He is annoyed, but just continues on with his meal.
(d) He sends a guard to silence Louis.
2. According to Philippe in Chapter 10, who is the mortal enemy of Colbert?
(c) Mademoiselle de la Valliere.
(d) The king.
3. How did the preceptor and the nurse of the prisoner die?
(a) They were executed.
(b) They were hung.
(c) They were poisoned.
(d) They drowned.
4. Who does Baisemeaux think that Aramis resembles in Chapter 7?
(a) Cardinal de la Rochelle.
(c) Monsieur de la Fere.
5. When Louis' bed begins to sink in Chapter 17, what does he suppose is the reason?
(a) He thinks he's having a nightmare.
(b) He doesn't realize his bed is moving at all.
(c) He guesses he is being kidnapped.
(d) He thinks it is an earthquake.
6. What does Fouquet regard as good omen in Chapter 20?
(a) The position of his eggs when breakfast was served.
(b) The sound of an early morning bird call.
(c) The early rainshower in the morning.
(d) The position of his sword.
7. Who told Porthos to arrive at Vaux twenty-four hours before the party?
(a) The King.
(b) Monsieur Fouquet.
8. What sentence would befall those who try to communicate with the prisoner "Marchiali" after he is re-incarcerated?
(b) Lifetime imprisonment.
(c) Ten years impriosonment.
9. What reason does Aramis give for the cancellation of the king's morning meeting with D'Artagnan in Chapter 20?
(a) He says the king is too fatigued to receive anyone.
(b) He says the king is occupied with his mistress.
(c) He says the king has gone out for an early morning walk.
(d) He says the king is ill.
10. How does Fouquet regard Aramis's act of abducting Louis XIV?
(a) He is indifferent to the action.
(b) The fate of Louis saddens him.
(c) He views it as great luck for him.
(d) He regards it as a great crime and it angers him.
11. In Chapter 9, what does Aramis claim has consecrated Philippe to be king?
(a) The misdeeds of Louis XIV.
(b) The will of the people.
(c) The persecution he has undergone.
(d) The legitimacy of his birth.
12. What interrupts Baisemeux's meal with Aramis?
(a) A servant coming with a message.
(b) A problem in the prison.
(c) Baisemeux's wife enters with an invitation from Fouquet.
(d) A courier with a letter of release.
13. In Chapter 21, how much time does Fouquet give Aramis to get out of reach of the king?
(a) One day.
(b) One hour.
(c) Twelve hours.
(d) Four hours.
14. Who gives D'Artagnan an order to cover Philippe's face with an iron mask?
(b) The king himself.
(d) The Queen.
15. What does Baisemeaux do after he receives the order for the king's release from Fouquet endorsed by Louis?
(a) He strikes his own jaw with his fist.
(b) He puts his head in his hands and cries.
(c) He writes his account of what happened.
(d) He flees the Bastille.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which famous French poet does D'Artagnan see hiding in disguise at Percerin's house in Chapter 3?
2. Why does Philippe have difficulty understanding what Anne of Austria whispers in his ear in Chapter 24?
3. What prisoner's name does Baisemeaux read on the release in Chapter 8?
4. Why is D'Artagnan confused when Philippe (masquerading as the king) asks where Aramis is in Chapter 24?
5. What profession does Monsieur Lebrun hold?
This section contains 657 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)