|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 21, how much time does Fouquet give Aramis to get out of reach of the king?
(a) One hour.
(b) Twelve hours.
(c) One day.
(d) Four hours.
2. What house did the late Madame du Vallon have a chamber with a secret door in?
(c) Chateau of Pierrefonds.
3. Where does D'Artagnan sleep in Fouquet's room in Chapter 19?
(a) He refuses to sleep and spends the night pacing upright.
(b) In an armchair.
(c) In Fouquet's bed.
(d) On the floor.
4. What is the name of the person Aramis tells Fouquet he wants to release from the Bastille?
(c) He does not name the criminal.
5. What position does Philippe take as he ponders his decision in Chapter 10?
(a) He paces back and forth in front of the carriage.
(b) He lays down on the ground and covers his face with his hands as he thinks.
(c) He stands gazing at the heavens.
(d) He kneels in prayer with his head constantly bowed.
6. While D'Artagnan is looking for Aramis in Chapter 19, what does Fouquet do?
(a) He writes a letter to the king begging mercy.
(b) He attempts to escape.
(c) He stays in his bed and cries over his desperate situation.
(d) He burns incriminating papers.
7. What profession does Monsieur Lebrun hold?
(a) He is Aramis's servant.
(b) He is a valet for Percerin.
(c) He is one of Fouquet's painters.
(d) He is a messenger.
8. What reason does D'Artagnan claim to be laughing in the end of Chapter 5?
(a) He is laughing at a joke made by Porthos.
(b) He is laughing over his good forutne.
(c) He doesn't give a reason for his laughter.
(d) He laughs at a pleasant memory.
9. What does Baisemeaux do after he receives the order for the king's release from Fouquet endorsed by Louis?
(a) He strikes his own jaw with his fist.
(b) He writes his account of what happened.
(c) He flees the Bastille.
(d) He puts his head in his hands and cries.
10. What finally convinces D'Artagnan that the king does not wish to see him in Chapter 20?
(a) Aramis's persuasion.
(b) The arrival of the king's servant with breakfast.
(c) A note signed by the king.
(d) The voice of the king telling him they'll meet later.
11. What causes King Louis to come to terms with his imprisonment in the Bastille?
(a) The shadow of the prison bars cast by the morning sun on his wall.
(b) The sounds of other prisoners wailing in agony.
(c) The appearance of a giant rat.
(d) The appearance of his first meager meal.
12. When Louis' bed begins to sink in Chapter 17, what does he suppose is the reason?
(a) He thinks he's having a nightmare.
(b) He guesses he is being kidnapped.
(c) He doesn't realize his bed is moving at all.
(d) He thinks it is an earthquake.
13. Why does Philippe have difficulty understanding what Anne of Austria whispers in his ear in Chapter 24?
(a) The queen references something Philippe is unaware of.
(b) He does not have difficulty understanding her.
(c) He does not speak Spanish.
(d) He is deaf in one ear.
14. Why won't the guard fetch the governor when Louis requests him Chapter 18?
(a) He is deaf and dumb and cannot understand Louis's request.
(b) He dislikes Louis and wants to punish him.
(c) He supposes the prisoner is mad.
(d) He is busy and has other prisoners to attend to.
15. Who gives D'Artagnan an order to cover Philippe's face with an iron mask?
(b) The king himself.
(c) The Queen.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the date of the fete at Vaux?
2. According to Philippe in Chapter 10, who is the mortal enemy of Colbert?
3. Who are the two masked figures who guard the king in Chapter 17?
4. Who does Fouquet request to speak with when he discovers that he is going to be arrested the following day?
5. According to Aramis in Chapter 1, who will come to fetch the prisoner in the future?
This section contains 665 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)