|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Raoul in need of consolation from his father in Chapter 26?
(a) He has been stripped of his commission in the army.
(b) He has discovered Louise La Valliere's infidelity with the king.
(c) He has suffered from a long illness.
(d) His best friend has just died.
2. What profession does Monsieur Lebrun hold?
(a) He is Aramis's servant.
(b) He is one of Fouquet's painters.
(c) He is a messenger.
(d) He is a valet for Percerin.
3. While D'Artagnan is looking for Aramis in Chapter 19, what does Fouquet do?
(a) He attempts to escape.
(b) He stays in his bed and cries over his desperate situation.
(c) He burns incriminating papers.
(d) He writes a letter to the king begging mercy.
4. How much money does Aramis offer to Philippe should he decide to go to Bas-Poitou?
(a) He doesn't offer him any money, only freedom.
(b) A large measure of gold.
(c) One thousand pistols.
(d) Ten thousand francs.
5. What did Aramis send to Philippe in the prison before he freed him from the Bastille?
(a) The ring of the king with the royal crest.
(b) An assortment of books about political history.
(c) A barber to cut Philippe's hair in the fashion of the king.
(d) Written notes on the king and society of the court.
6. How did the preceptor and the nurse of the prisoner die?
(a) They were hung.
(b) They were poisoned.
(c) They were executed.
(d) They drowned.
7. When D'Artagnan comes to visit Porthos in Chapter 2, what reason does Porthos give for his melancholy?
(a) His estate at Vallon was recently destroyed by a fire.
(b) He has no clothes that fit him.
(c) He had received bad news about his investments in Bracieux.
(d) He had not been invited to a party at Vaux he'd hoped to attend.
8. Where does Aramis invite Monsieur Moliere to go, in the beginning of Chapter 5?
(a) Aramis's home.
(b) The the palace.
(c) St. Mande.
9. What action does Fouquet suggest Louis take before they return to Vaux?
(a) He suggests Louis take some rest with a short nap.
(b) He suggests Louis have a good meal.
(c) He suggests Louis change his clothes.
(d) He suggests Louis see a doctor about his wounds received in prison.
10. Who are the two masked figures who guard the king in Chapter 17?
(a) Aramis and Fouquet.
(b) Colbert and Porthos.
(c) D'Artagnan and Fouquet.
(d) Porthos and Aramis.
11. What does Fouquet request of Aramis after he draws his sword in Chapter 21?
(a) He asks Aramis to kill Philippe.
(b) He challenges Aramis to a duel.
(c) He asks Aramis to take his life.
(d) He asks Aramis to retrieve Louis.
12. When Louis' bed begins to sink in Chapter 17, what does he suppose is the reason?
(a) He doesn't realize his bed is moving at all.
(b) He thinks it is an earthquake.
(c) He guesses he is being kidnapped.
(d) He thinks he's having a nightmare.
13. What is the king screaming when Fouquet stands outside his cell in Chapter 22?
(a) Death to Aramis!
(c) Death to Fouquet!
(d) I am not Philippe!
14. Which two people overhear the king tell La Valliere he loves her in Chapter 13?
(a) D'Artagnan and Fouquet.
(b) Two servants.
(c) No one overhears the king.
(d) Colbert and Queen Anne.
15. What is the name of the person Aramis tells Fouquet he wants to release from the Bastille?
(d) He does not name the criminal.
Short Answer Questions
1. What sentence would befall those who try to communicate with the prisoner "Marchiali" after he is re-incarcerated?
2. In Chapter 9, what does Aramis claim has consecrated Philippe to be king?
3. When Baisemeaux hears the noise of Louis in his cell in Chapter 18, what is his response?
4. Who told Porthos to arrive at Vaux twenty-four hours before the party?
5. What is unique about the ceiling of the king's bedchamber at Vaux?
This section contains 704 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)