|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Baisemeaux do after he receives the order for the king's release from Fouquet endorsed by Louis?
(a) He strikes his own jaw with his fist.
(b) He puts his head in his hands and cries.
(c) He writes his account of what happened.
(d) He flees the Bastille.
2. How much money does Aramis offer to Philippe should he decide to go to Bas-Poitou?
(a) He doesn't offer him any money, only freedom.
(b) Ten thousand francs.
(c) A large measure of gold.
(d) One thousand pistols.
3. Where does Fouquet suggest that Aramis should go as a place of refuge in Chapter 21?
4. Why is D'Artagnan confused when Philippe (masquerading as the king) asks where Aramis is in Chapter 24?
(a) D'Artagnan does not understand the king's friendliness with Aramis.
(b) D'Artagnan notices a difference in Philippe that he cannot identify.
(c) D'Artagnan believes that Aramis is on a mission for the king.
(d) D'Artagnan does not know Aramis is gone.
5. Where does D'Artagnan sleep in Fouquet's room in Chapter 19?
(a) In Fouquet's bed.
(b) In an armchair.
(c) He refuses to sleep and spends the night pacing upright.
(d) On the floor.
6. Why won't the guard fetch the governor when Louis requests him Chapter 18?
(a) He dislikes Louis and wants to punish him.
(b) He is busy and has other prisoners to attend to.
(c) He is deaf and dumb and cannot understand Louis's request.
(d) He supposes the prisoner is mad.
7. Who does D'Artagnan believe would be the superior king?
(a) He thinks Louis is the better king.
(b) He think neither of them would be suited to the job.
(c) He thinks Philippe would be superior.
(d) He thinks they are both equal in their faculties.
8. What interrupts Baisemeux's meal with Aramis?
(a) A courier with a letter of release.
(b) Baisemeux's wife enters with an invitation from Fouquet.
(c) A servant coming with a message.
(d) A problem in the prison.
9. What does Fouquet regard as good omen in Chapter 20?
(a) The early rainshower in the morning.
(b) The position of his eggs when breakfast was served.
(c) The sound of an early morning bird call.
(d) The position of his sword.
10. What does Baisemeaux request from Fouquet before he can release the prisoner in Chapter 22?
(a) An order signed by Fouquet.
(b) A signed order from the king.
(c) An order signed by Aramis.
(d) Proof of Fouquet's identity.
11. How much money has Fouquet borrowed and not repaid?
(a) He is in good standing in all of his accounts.
(b) One million.
(c) Ten million.
(d) Thirteen million.
12. At what time of night was Louis XIV taken from his bed?
(a) The precise time of the switch is not known.
(b) Just after dusk.
(c) Just before dawn.
(d) Between twelve and one o'clock.
13. What causes King Louis to come to terms with his imprisonment in the Bastille?
(a) The appearance of his first meager meal.
(b) The sounds of other prisoners wailing in agony.
(c) The appearance of a giant rat.
(d) The shadow of the prison bars cast by the morning sun on his wall.
14. How does Baisemeaux ensure that no one sees the king when he brought by Aramis to the prison?
(a) He takes him into the prison by a secret passage.
(b) He rings a bell and beats a drum to clear the passages.
(c) He forces the king to wear a mask.
(d) He forces the king to wear a sack over his head.
15. Which two people overhear the king tell La Valliere he loves her in Chapter 13?
(a) D'Artagnan and Fouquet.
(b) Colbert and Queen Anne.
(c) No one overhears the king.
(d) Two servants.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Philippe totter and seem a bit unstable when he goes for a walk around the carriage in Chapter 10?
2. How much money does the king win during his card game at Vaux?
3. What does Aramis give Baisemeaux when they arrive at the Bastille in Chapter 17?
4. Why is Raoul in need of consolation from his father in Chapter 26?
5. Who gives D'Artagnan an order to cover Philippe's face with an iron mask?
This section contains 757 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)