|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Fouquet request to speak with when he discovers that he is going to be arrested the following day?
(a) The king.
(b) Louise La Valliere.
2. Where is Aramis's room at Vaux?
(a) Directly under the king's room.
(b) Directly to the right of the king's room.
(c) Directly above the king's room.
(d) Directly to the left of the king's room.
3. According to Philippe in Chapter 10, who is the mortal enemy of Colbert?
(b) Mademoiselle de la Valliere.
(c) The king.
4. Who are the two masked figures who guard the king in Chapter 17?
(a) Porthos and Aramis.
(b) D'Artagnan and Fouquet.
(c) Colbert and Porthos.
(d) Aramis and Fouquet.
5. When Fouquet supposes that Aramis has intervened with the king to prevent his arrest in Chapter 21, how does he feel?
6. Why won't the guard fetch the governor when Louis requests him Chapter 18?
(a) He supposes the prisoner is mad.
(b) He dislikes Louis and wants to punish him.
(c) He is deaf and dumb and cannot understand Louis's request.
(d) He is busy and has other prisoners to attend to.
7. What action does Fouquet suggest Louis take before they return to Vaux?
(a) He suggests Louis change his clothes.
(b) He suggests Louis take some rest with a short nap.
(c) He suggests Louis see a doctor about his wounds received in prison.
(d) He suggests Louis have a good meal.
8. While D'Artagnan is looking for Aramis in Chapter 19, what does Fouquet do?
(a) He writes a letter to the king begging mercy.
(b) He burns incriminating papers.
(c) He stays in his bed and cries over his desperate situation.
(d) He attempts to escape.
9. When D'Artagnan comes to visit Porthos in Chapter 2, what reason does Porthos give for his melancholy?
(a) He had not been invited to a party at Vaux he'd hoped to attend.
(b) He has no clothes that fit him.
(c) He had received bad news about his investments in Bracieux.
(d) His estate at Vallon was recently destroyed by a fire.
10. What interrupts Baisemeux's meal with Aramis?
(a) A problem in the prison.
(b) A servant coming with a message.
(c) A courier with a letter of release.
(d) Baisemeux's wife enters with an invitation from Fouquet.
11. What reason does Aramis give for the cancellation of the king's morning meeting with D'Artagnan in Chapter 20?
(a) He says the king has gone out for an early morning walk.
(b) He says the king is ill.
(c) He says the king is occupied with his mistress.
(d) He says the king is too fatigued to receive anyone.
12. How much money has Fouquet borrowed and not repaid?
(a) One million.
(b) He is in good standing in all of his accounts.
(c) Thirteen million.
(d) Ten million.
13. When Baisemeaux hears the noise of Louis in his cell in Chapter 18, what is his response?
(a) He goes to see what the commotion is about.
(b) He sends a guard to silence Louis.
(c) He is annoyed, but just continues on with his meal.
(d) He laughs that the prisoner has gone mad as if it is a joke.
14. What does Aramis do to persuade Baisemeux to release the prisoner without further verifying the letter is not a forgery?
(a) He claims that he saw the order signed in his presence.
(b) He writes a letter verfiying the order.
(c) He threatens Baisemeux with pistols to release the prisoner.
(d) He gets Baisemeux drunk and then persuades him.
15. In Chapter 26, which two countries does Aramis claim to have relations in?
(a) Denmark and England.
(b) Italy and Portugal.
(c) Portugal and Spain.
(d) England and Spain.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is D'Artagnan confused when Philippe (masquerading as the king) asks where Aramis is in Chapter 24?
2. What pets does Percerin keep due to special permission from King Louis XIV?
3. What reason does D'Artagnan claim to be laughing in the end of Chapter 5?
4. Why aren't there fresh horses for Aramis and Porthos when they arrive at Orleans in Chapter 26?
5. Who comes to visit Athos after Aramis and Porthos have left?
This section contains 773 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)