|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Fouquet regard as good omen in Chapter 20?
(a) The position of his eggs when breakfast was served.
(b) The position of his sword.
(c) The early rainshower in the morning.
(d) The sound of an early morning bird call.
2. Which famous French poet does D'Artagnan see hiding in disguise at Percerin's house in Chapter 3?
(c) Jean de la Fontaine.
(d) Charles Perrault.
3. In Chapter 21, how much time does Fouquet give Aramis to get out of reach of the king?
(a) One hour.
(b) Twelve hours.
(c) Four hours.
(d) One day.
4. What does Aramis do when Baisemeaux is not looking in Chapter 8?
(a) He switches the letter of release for a forgery.
(b) He drops his hat out of the window as a signal.
(c) He puts some sleeping medicine in Baisemeaux's wine.
(d) He steals the keys to several cells.
5. What two things does Aramis ask of Athos in Chapter 26?
(a) He asks for absolution and for fresh horses.
(b) He asks for Athos to hide Porthos and to not reveal Aramis's destination to his pursuers.
(c) He asks for letters of introdution to court at Spain and supplies for travel.
(d) He asks for a good meal and a comfortable bed.
6. Why aren't there fresh horses for Aramis and Porthos when they arrive at Orleans in Chapter 26?
(a) All of the horses are engaged by le Duc de Beaufort.
(b) Fouquet has laid a trap for Aramis and Porthos by having all of the horse squired to others.
(c) Aramis and Porthos do not have sufficient means to pay for the fresh horses.
(d) The king has commanded that Aramis and Porthos be stopped.
7. When the king leaves the passage in Chapter 17, where is he taken?
(a) He is taken to a shack in the village of Melun.
(b) He is taken to the dungeon of Vaux.
(c) He is taken to a waiting carriage.
(d) He is taken to a cave.
8. Why is Raoul in need of consolation from his father in Chapter 26?
(a) He has been stripped of his commission in the army.
(b) He has suffered from a long illness.
(c) His best friend has just died.
(d) He has discovered Louise La Valliere's infidelity with the king.
9. Why does Aramis propose they take their carriage off of the road so they can converse in Chapter 8?
(a) He does not want to take the carriage off of the road, but wants to have the conversation immediately.
(b) He does not want another carriage to stop and offer assistance to them.
(c) The carriage is broken and needs to be repaired.
(d) They want to abandon the carriage and not have it draw suspicion.
10. What does the king claim to be suffering from to Valliere in Chapter 14?
(b) He will not tell her what has upset him.
11. What pets does Percerin keep due to special permission from King Louis XIV?
(a) Arabian racehorces.
(b) A rare set of parrots.
(c) A pack of hounds.
(d) An elephant.
12. When D'Artagnan comes to visit Porthos in Chapter 2, what reason does Porthos give for his melancholy?
(a) His estate at Vallon was recently destroyed by a fire.
(b) He has no clothes that fit him.
(c) He had received bad news about his investments in Bracieux.
(d) He had not been invited to a party at Vaux he'd hoped to attend.
13. At what time of night was Louis XIV taken from his bed?
(a) Between twelve and one o'clock.
(b) The precise time of the switch is not known.
(c) Just before dawn.
(d) Just after dusk.
14. What position does Philippe take as he ponders his decision in Chapter 10?
(a) He stands gazing at the heavens.
(b) He paces back and forth in front of the carriage.
(c) He lays down on the ground and covers his face with his hands as he thinks.
(d) He kneels in prayer with his head constantly bowed.
15. How many brothers does Aramis claim to have in Chapter 9?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does D'Artagnan sleep in Fouquet's room in Chapter 19?
2. While D'Artagnan is looking for Aramis in Chapter 19, what does Fouquet do?
3. What is unique about the postilion of the final relay of in Chapter 8?
4. What profession does Monsieur Lebrun hold?
5. Why is D'Artagnan confused when Philippe (masquerading as the king) asks where Aramis is in Chapter 24?
This section contains 807 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)