|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who introduces Saigusa to Yukiko?
2. What does Sachiko ask Teinosuke to approach the main house about?
3. Why is Sachiko angry at Yukiko?
4. Why does Hashidera call Yukiko?
5. Why do Sachiko, Yukiko, Etsuko and Taeko put on her fine clothes for the trip?
Short Essay Questions
1. What announcement does Mrs. Itani make in Chapter 27?
2. What do Sachiko and Yukiko ignore in Chapter 19?
3. What does Taeko insist on based on Chapter 24?
4. What does Tsuruko seem concerned with in Chapter 22?
5. What decision does Taeko make in Chapter 12?
6. What happens with Itakura in Chapter 33 and Chapter 34?
7. What is a cause of concern for Teinosuke in Chapter 28?
8. Who do they meet in Tokyo in Chapter 30?
9. Why is Sachiko alarmed in regard to Taeko in Chapter 31?
10. Who is Mr. Hashidera according to Chapter 13?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the role that Taeko plays in the novel and how and why she breaks from Japanese tradition.
Essay Topic 2
Examine how honor plays a role in "The Makoika Sisters" and how a disinheritance can affect one's honor.
Essay Topic 3
Examine the role of foreigners in the novel and how the author uses foreshadowing by introducing these characters.
This section contains 589 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)