|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sachiko think of the match between Yukiko and Sawazaki according to Book III, Chapters 7-12?
2. What does Taeko do when confronted by Yukiko?
3. What does Sachiko learn from O-Haru?
4. Why is Mrs. Itani selling her shop?
5. What does Sachiko think of the new neighbors?
Short Essay Questions
1. What revelation does Sachiko have in Chapter 23?
2. Who is Mr. Hashidera according to Chapter 13?
3. What is the fault of the family according to Teinosuke?
4. What do Sachiko and Yukiko ignore in Chapter 19?
5. What does Sachiko take as a bad omen?
6. What does Sawazaki say in his letter in Book III, Chapter 7?
7. Why is there tension between the main house and the rest of the family in Chapter 8?
8. What announcement does Mrs. Itani make in Chapter 27?
9. What does Tsuruko seem concerned with in Chapter 22?
10. What happens with many of the family's friends in Chapter 29?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine how honor plays a role in "The Makoika Sisters" and how a disinheritance can affect one's honor.
Essay Topic 2
Compare the relationship between Taeko and Itakura with Taeko and Okubata.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the significance of Japanese tradition in the novel and how it impacts the lives of the characters.
This section contains 565 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)