|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Hashidera call Yukiko?
2. What does Sachiko think of Taeko seeing Okubata?
3. What becomes more frequent after the war with China escalates?
4. Where does Teinosuke go to meet Mr. Hashidera a few days after he visited Ashiya?
5. What does the local doctor tell Sachiko Taeko might have?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who do they meet in Tokyo in Chapter 30?
2. What does Tsuruko seem concerned with in Chapter 22?
3. What does Sachiko arrange in Chapter 20?
4. What is the fault of the family according to Teinosuke?
5. What does Sachiko take as a bad omen?
6. What does Sachiko learn about Taeko in Chapter 9?
7. What does Sawazaki say in his letter in Book III, Chapter 7?
8. What does Yukiko do in Chapter 26?
9. How do Teinosuke and Sachiko make decisions based on the conversation in Chapter 23?
10. What bad news does O-haru bring?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the development of conflict between the main house and the sisters.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the significance of Japanese tradition in the novel and how it impacts the lives of the characters.
Essay Topic 3
Define theme and discuss the theme of hostility as portrayed in the novel.
This section contains 508 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)