|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Mr. Hashidera's profession?
2. Why is the family concerned about the two unwed sisters?
3. Who does O-haru speak to to get her information about Taeko?
4. Who moves to the Stoltz's house?
5. Why is Tatsuo opposed to Taeko learning sewing?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do Yukiko, Taeko, Etsuko, and Sachiko travel by train to Ogaki in Book III, Chapter 1?
2. What furthers the conflict between Sachiko and the main house in Chapter 23?
3. What announcement does Mrs. Itani make in Chapter 27?
4. What is a cause of concern for Teinosuke in Chapter 28?
5. What does Tsuruko seem concerned with in Chapter 22?
6. How do Teinosuke and Sachiko make decisions based on the conversation in Chapter 23?
7. Who does Yukiko recognize on the train?
8. What does Mrs. Stoltz do in Chapter 21?
9. Who is Mimaki?
10. Who do they meet in Tokyo in Chapter 30?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the role of foreigners in the novel and how the author uses foreshadowing by introducing these characters.
Essay Topic 2
Choose two male characters and compare their roles in the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Choose two sisters and discuss the relationship between them.
This section contains 528 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)