|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sachiko think of the match between Yukiko and Sawazaki according to Book III, Chapters 7-12?
2. What does Sachiko think of Mr. Hashidera?
3. What becomes more frequent after the war with China escalates?
4. Who is Mrs. Stoltz packing with in Book II, Chapters 21-27?
5. What does Sachiko learn from O-Haru?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Mr. Hashidera according to Chapter 13?
2. What decision does Taeko make in Chapter 12?
3. What does Sachiko take as a bad omen?
4. Why does Yukiko panic?
5. What does Sachiko learn about Taeko in Chapter 9?
6. How do Teinosuke and Sachiko make decisions based on the conversation in Chapter 23?
7. What happens with many of the family's friends in Chapter 29?
8. What is the fault of the family according to Teinosuke?
9. What does Sachiko sense about Sawazaki?
10. Who does Yukiko recognize on the train?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the role that natural occurrences play in the lives of the Makoika sisters.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the significance of the setting of the novel "The Makoika Sisters".
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the role of women in Japanese society during the setting of the novel and discuss the opposition to Taeko becoming a "working woman".
This section contains 506 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)