|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do Sachiko, Etsuko and Taeko part ways with Yukiko on their trip back to Osaka?
2. Where does Okubata get many of the gifts he gave Taeko?
3. Why is Okubata upset at Sachiko?
4. What does Yukiko think of Taeko and Okubata?
5. Who does Sachiko write a letter to reporting on Taeko?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Taeko insist on based on Chapter 24?
2. Why is there tension between the main house and the rest of the family in Chapter 8?
3. What does Sachiko sense about Sawazaki?
4. What happens with Itakura in Chapter 33 and Chapter 34?
5. Who does Yukiko recognize on the train?
6. Who is Mimaki?
7. What announcement does Mrs. Itani make in Chapter 27?
8. What bad news does O-haru bring?
9. What does Sachiko take as a bad omen?
10. Who is Mr. Hashidera according to Chapter 13?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the role that natural occurrences play in the lives of the Makoika sisters.
Essay Topic 2
Compare the relationship between Taeko and Itakura with Taeko and Okubata.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the role of women in Japanese society during the setting of the novel and discuss the opposition to Taeko becoming a "working woman".
This section contains 536 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)