|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is at fault for Yukiko's not marrying according to Teinosuke?
2. Who joins Mrs. Itani in the quest to find Yukiko a husband in Book III, Chapters 13-18?
3. How does Yukiko treat Okubata when he comes to visit Taeko?
4. Who risked his life to save Taeko during the flood?
5. Why is there tension between Taeko and Yukiko?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Taeko insist on based on Chapter 24?
2. How do Teinosuke and Sachiko make decisions based on the conversation in Chapter 23?
3. What does Sawazaki say in his letter in Book III, Chapter 7?
4. Why do Yukiko, Taeko, Etsuko, and Sachiko travel by train to Ogaki in Book III, Chapter 1?
5. What happens with many of the family's friends in Chapter 29?
6. What does Sachiko sense about Sawazaki?
7. What revelation does Sachiko have in Chapter 23?
8. Why is Sachiko alarmed in regard to Taeko in Chapter 31?
9. Who do they meet in Tokyo in Chapter 30?
10. Why does Yukiko panic?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare the relationship between Taeko and Itakura with Taeko and Okubata.
Essay Topic 2
Examine the relationship between Etsuko and Yukiko and how this role changes throughout the course of the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the role of social propriety and appearance based on the character of Yukiko.
This section contains 542 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)