|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who moves to the Stoltz's house?
2. Where is Sawazaki from?
3. Where is Taeko at the end of Book III, Chapters 13-18?
4. What do Sachiko, Yukiko, Etsuko and Taeko do the night they arrive at Mrs Sugano's?
5. Who risked his life to save Taeko during the flood?
Short Essay Questions
1. What bad news does O-haru bring?
2. What announcement does Mrs. Itani make in Chapter 27?
3. What revelation does Sachiko have in Chapter 23?
4. What do Sachiko and Yukiko ignore in Chapter 19?
5. How do Teinosuke and Sachiko make decisions based on the conversation in Chapter 23?
6. What is a cause of concern for Teinosuke in Chapter 28?
7. What does Mrs. Stoltz do in Chapter 21?
8. What does Sachiko arrange in Chapter 20?
9. Why is Sachiko alarmed in regard to Taeko in Chapter 31?
10. What does Yukiko do in Chapter 26?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define theme and discuss the theme of hostility as portrayed in the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Examine the role of foreigners in the novel and how the author uses foreshadowing by introducing these characters.
Essay Topic 3
Compare the relationship between Taeko and Itakura with Taeko and Okubata.
This section contains 550 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)