|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Taeko resting while sick?
2. What surgery does Itakura have?
3. What does Sachiko think of the new neighbors?
4. What does Sachiko think of the match between Yukiko and Sawazaki according to Book III, Chapters 7-12?
5. What does the local doctor tell Sachiko Taeko might have?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Yukiko panic?
2. Who do they meet in Tokyo in Chapter 30?
3. What does Yukiko do in Chapter 26?
4. What announcement does Mrs. Itani make in Chapter 27?
5. Why is Sachiko alarmed in regard to Taeko in Chapter 31?
6. Who is Mimaki?
7. What does Sachiko take as a bad omen?
8. What does Sachiko arrange in Chapter 20?
9. What does Sawazaki say in his letter in Book III, Chapter 7?
10. What is the fault of the family according to Teinosuke?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare the relationship between Taeko and Itakura with Taeko and Okubata.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the role of women in Japanese society during the setting of the novel and discuss the opposition to Taeko becoming a "working woman".
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the importance of the memorial service for the Makoika sisters' parents and discuss how its planning creates conflict.
This section contains 450 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)