|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sachiko think of the new neighbors?
2. What does Okubata do during the recital?
3. What does Sachiko think of Mr. Hashidera?
4. What does Sachiko sense about Sawzaki?
5. Who introduces Saigusa to Yukiko?
Short Essay Questions
1. What bad news does O-haru bring?
2. Who do they meet in Tokyo in Chapter 30?
3. Who does Yukiko recognize on the train?
4. What happens with Itakura in Chapter 33 and Chapter 34?
5. What does Mrs. Stoltz do in Chapter 21?
6. How do Teinosuke and Sachiko make decisions based on the conversation in Chapter 23?
7. What do Sachiko and Yukiko ignore in Chapter 19?
8. What does Sachiko sense about Sawazaki?
9. What does Yukiko do in Chapter 26?
10. What does Sachiko take as a bad omen?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the role of social propriety and appearance based on the character of Yukiko.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the significance of Japanese tradition in the novel and how it impacts the lives of the characters.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the significance of men in the novel and analyze their role in the lives of the sisters.
This section contains 506 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)