|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does O-haru speak to to get her information about Taeko?
2. When does Book III, Chapters 19-24 open?
3. Who does Sachiko write a letter to reporting on Taeko?
4. Why is Sachiko angry at Yukiko?
5. What does Sachiko tell Yukiko about?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Sachiko sense about Sawazaki?
2. What does Taeko insist on based on Chapter 24?
3. What revelation does Sachiko have in Chapter 23?
4. What bad news does O-haru bring?
5. Why is Sachiko alarmed in regard to Taeko in Chapter 31?
6. Why does Yukiko panic?
7. What announcement does Mrs. Itani make in Chapter 27?
8. What does Mrs. Stoltz do in Chapter 21?
9. How do Teinosuke and Sachiko make decisions based on the conversation in Chapter 23?
10. What does Sawazaki say in his letter in Book III, Chapter 7?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the significance of the "miai" dinner and investigations into a potential spouse's background.
Essay Topic 2
Examine the relationship between Etsuko and Yukiko and how this role changes throughout the course of the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the role that Taeko plays in the novel and how and why she breaks from Japanese tradition.
This section contains 548 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)