|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Okubata get many of the gifts he gave Taeko?
2. Where do the sisters and Mimaki meet for the first time?
3. What is Yukiko's chaperone not sure of?
4. What field does Mimaki shown some promise in?
5. Why is the family concerned about the two unwed sisters?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens with many of the family's friends in Chapter 29?
2. What revelation does Sachiko have in Chapter 23?
3. What decision does Taeko make in Chapter 12?
4. Who do they meet in Tokyo in Chapter 30?
5. Who is Mr. Hashidera according to Chapter 13?
6. What does Yukiko do in Chapter 26?
7. Who is Mimaki?
8. What does Tsuruko seem concerned with in Chapter 22?
9. What bad news does O-haru bring?
10. Why is Sachiko alarmed in regard to Taeko in Chapter 31?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the significance of the "miai" dinner and investigations into a potential spouse's background.
Essay Topic 2
Examine the relationship between Etsuko and Yukiko and how this role changes throughout the course of the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the importance of the memorial service for the Makoika sisters' parents and discuss how its planning creates conflict.
This section contains 557 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)