|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Taeko at the end of Book III, Chapters 13-18?
2. What does Sachiko ask Teinosuke to approach the main house about?
3. What does Sachiko learn about Okubata's behavior?
4. Why is the main house organizing a ceremony?
5. How do Sachiko, Yukiko, Etsuko and Taeko go to see Sawazaki?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Yukiko recognize on the train?
2. Who is Mr. Hashidera according to Chapter 13?
3. What is the fault of the family according to Teinosuke?
4. What does Sachiko take as a bad omen?
5. What announcement does Mrs. Itani make in Chapter 27?
6. Who is Mimaki?
7. What furthers the conflict between Sachiko and the main house in Chapter 23?
8. What happens with many of the family's friends in Chapter 29?
9. Why do Yukiko, Taeko, Etsuko, and Sachiko travel by train to Ogaki in Book III, Chapter 1?
10. What do Sachiko and Yukiko ignore in Chapter 19?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the significance of the setting of the novel "The Makoika Sisters".
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the significance of Japanese tradition in the novel and how it impacts the lives of the characters.
Essay Topic 3
Choose two male characters and compare their roles in the novel.
This section contains 500 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)