|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do the sisters and Mimaki meet for the first time?
2. Why is Okubata upset at Sachiko?
3. What do Sachiko and Teinosuke tell to the main house to try to help her go to Paris?
4. What would have happened had Taeko been discovered at Okubata's?
5. What does Yukiko think of Taeko and Okubata?
Short Essay Questions
1. What furthers the conflict between Sachiko and the main house in Chapter 23?
2. What does Mrs. Stoltz do in Chapter 21?
3. What does Tsuruko seem concerned with in Chapter 22?
4. What revelation does Sachiko have in Chapter 23?
5. What happens with many of the family's friends in Chapter 29?
6. What do Sachiko and Yukiko ignore in Chapter 19?
7. Why is Sachiko alarmed in regard to Taeko in Chapter 31?
8. Who is Mimaki?
9. What does Taeko insist on based on Chapter 24?
10. Why does Yukiko panic?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the relationship between Etsuko and Yukiko and how this role changes throughout the course of the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the role of O-Haru in the novel and examine her actions, traits, and characteristics.
Essay Topic 3
Define theme and discuss the theme of hostility as portrayed in the novel.
This section contains 558 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)