|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Sachiko angry at Yukiko?
2. What do Sachiko, Yukiko, Etsuko and Taeko do the night they arrive at Mrs Sugano's?
3. What disease is Taeko suspected of having in Book III, Chapters 19-24?
4. Who chaperones Yukiko when meeting Mr. Hashidera?
5. Who does Sachiko receive a gift from?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Sachiko sense about Sawazaki?
2. What does Yukiko do in Chapter 26?
3. What does Sachiko learn about Taeko in Chapter 9?
4. What bad news does O-haru bring?
5. What does Sachiko take as a bad omen?
6. What is the fault of the family according to Teinosuke?
7. Why is there tension between the main house and the rest of the family in Chapter 8?
8. What furthers the conflict between Sachiko and the main house in Chapter 23?
9. Why do Yukiko, Taeko, Etsuko, and Sachiko travel by train to Ogaki in Book III, Chapter 1?
10. What does Taeko insist on based on Chapter 24?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the importance of the memorial service for the Makoika sisters' parents and discuss how its planning creates conflict.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the role of social propriety and appearance based on the character of Yukiko.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the significance of the setting of the novel "The Makoika Sisters".
This section contains 537 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)