|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who chaperones Yukiko when meeting Mr. Hashidera?
2. Why is the family concerned about the two unwed sisters?
3. Where is Teinosuke during the recital in Book II, Chapters 28-35?
4. Why is Taeko's teacher canceling her trip to Paris?
5. What is Katherina's final destination?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Sachiko take as a bad omen?
2. What is the fault of the family according to Teinosuke?
3. What does Tsuruko seem concerned with in Chapter 22?
4. Who do they meet in Tokyo in Chapter 30?
5. Why is Sachiko alarmed in regard to Taeko in Chapter 31?
6. What does Yukiko do in Chapter 26?
7. What announcement does Mrs. Itani make in Chapter 27?
8. What decision does Taeko make in Chapter 12?
9. What happens with many of the family's friends in Chapter 29?
10. What furthers the conflict between Sachiko and the main house in Chapter 23?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define theme and discuss the theme of hostility as portrayed in the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Choose two male characters and compare their roles in the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Examine the significance of the "miai" dinner and investigations into a potential spouse's background.
This section contains 493 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)