|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Yukiko treat Okubata when he comes to visit Taeko?
2. Who joins Mrs. Itani in the quest to find Yukiko a husband in Book III, Chapters 13-18?
3. Where does Taeko return at night?
4. When are Sachiko, Yukiko, Etsuko and Taeko supposed to meet Saqazaki?
5. What are Taeko's sisters trying to encourage her to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Teinosuke and Sachiko make decisions based on the conversation in Chapter 23?
2. What does Tsuruko seem concerned with in Chapter 22?
3. What does Sachiko sense about Sawazaki?
4. What does Taeko insist on based on Chapter 24?
5. Who is Mimaki?
6. Why is Sachiko alarmed in regard to Taeko in Chapter 31?
7. What furthers the conflict between Sachiko and the main house in Chapter 23?
8. What does Sachiko arrange in Chapter 20?
9. What happens with many of the family's friends in Chapter 29?
10. Why does Yukiko panic?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the role of O-Haru in the novel and examine her actions, traits, and characteristics.
Essay Topic 2
Compare the relationship between Taeko and Itakura with Taeko and Okubata.
Essay Topic 3
Choose two male characters and compare their roles in the novel.
This section contains 480 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)