|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sachiko sense about Sawzaki?
2. When are Sachiko, Yukiko, Etsuko and Taeko supposed to meet Saqazaki?
3. What does Sachiko think of the match between Yukiko and Sawazaki according to Book III, Chapters 7-12?
4. What does Mimaki lack?
5. How old is Mr. Hashidera's daughter?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Teinosuke and Sachiko make decisions based on the conversation in Chapter 23?
2. What announcement does Mrs. Itani make in Chapter 27?
3. What does Yukiko do in Chapter 26?
4. What furthers the conflict between Sachiko and the main house in Chapter 23?
5. What happens with Itakura in Chapter 33 and Chapter 34?
6. Why is there tension between the main house and the rest of the family in Chapter 8?
7. Who do they meet in Tokyo in Chapter 30?
8. What happens with many of the family's friends in Chapter 29?
9. What bad news does O-haru bring?
10. What does Sawazaki say in his letter in Book III, Chapter 7?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the role that Taeko plays in the novel and how and why she breaks from Japanese tradition.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the significance of Japanese tradition in the novel and how it impacts the lives of the characters.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the role of social propriety and appearance based on the character of Yukiko.
This section contains 559 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)