|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many times has Mimaki been married?
2. When does Book III, Chapters 19-24 open?
3. Who introduces Saigusa to Yukiko?
4. Where is Sawazaki from?
5. Where is Taeko at the end of Book III, Chapters 13-18?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Sawazaki say in his letter in Book III, Chapter 7?
2. What does Sachiko take as a bad omen?
3. Who do they meet in Tokyo in Chapter 30?
4. What does Taeko insist on based on Chapter 24?
5. What do Sachiko and Yukiko ignore in Chapter 19?
6. What does Tsuruko seem concerned with in Chapter 22?
7. What is a cause of concern for Teinosuke in Chapter 28?
8. What does Sachiko learn about Taeko in Chapter 9?
9. What is the fault of the family according to Teinosuke?
10. What furthers the conflict between Sachiko and the main house in Chapter 23?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how Yukiko is contrasted with her sisters.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the significance of Japanese tradition in the novel and how it impacts the lives of the characters.
Essay Topic 3
Examine the significance of the "miai" dinner and investigations into a potential spouse's background.
This section contains 447 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)