|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What field does Mimaki shown some promise in?
2. Who risked his life to save Taeko during the flood?
3. Who does Sachiko write a letter to reporting on Taeko?
4. Who is Mrs. Stoltz packing with in Book II, Chapters 21-27?
5. What is Katherina's final destination?
Short Essay Questions
1. What furthers the conflict between Sachiko and the main house in Chapter 23?
2. Why is there tension between the main house and the rest of the family in Chapter 8?
3. What does Sachiko take as a bad omen?
4. What does Yukiko do in Chapter 26?
5. What does Sachiko learn about Taeko in Chapter 9?
6. What bad news does O-haru bring?
7. Why is Sachiko alarmed in regard to Taeko in Chapter 31?
8. What do Sachiko and Yukiko ignore in Chapter 19?
9. What does Sachiko arrange in Chapter 20?
10. What does Mrs. Stoltz do in Chapter 21?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the significance of the setting of the novel "The Makoika Sisters".
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how Yukiko is contrasted with her sisters.
Essay Topic 3
Define theme and discuss the theme of hostility as portrayed in the novel.
This section contains 472 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)