|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who sends a letter to Sachiko at the inn?
2. Who has final say in the decision to marry Yukiko to Segoshi?
3. Who is O-haru?
4. What classes does Taeko take?
5. Why does Yukiko refuse to marry Nomura?
Short Essay Questions
1. What problem revolves around Yukiko according to Book I, Chapter 1?
2. What breaks the deal for the marriage between Segoshi and Yukiko?
3. What does Chapter 11 describe about Itakura?
4. Who is Mrs. Itani according to Chapter 2?
5. Where does Sachiko arrive in Chapter 15?
6. Who overshadows Yukiko?
7. What opinion does Yukiko have on the marriage issue in Chapter 17?
8. Under what pretext would the family allow Yukiko to return?
9. What is Sachiko looking forward to in Chapter 14 and why?
10. Who is O-Haru and what traits did she possess based on Chapters 4 and 5?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine how honor plays a role in "The Makoika Sisters" and how a disinheritance can affect one's honor.
Essay Topic 2
Examine the role of foreigners in the novel and how the author uses foreshadowing by introducing these characters.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the significance of the setting of the novel "The Makoika Sisters".
This section contains 532 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)