|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is absent when Taeko, Sachiko and Teinosuke arrive for dinner?
2. What does Sachiko ask Yukiko in the car on their way home?
3. What is said of Tsuruko's house?
4. What bad habit does Okubata take according to Taeko?
5. How does Sachiko's party go to Tokyo?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to the family roots in Chapter 21?
2. Under what pretext would the family allow Yukiko to return?
3. What does Sachiko's illness culminate in according to Chapter 27?
4. What measures does Teinosuke go to to assure Segoshi of Yukiko's health during the mutual investigations in Chapters 12-14?
5. Who is Mrs. Itani according to Chapter 2?
6. What does Chapter 11 describe about Itakura?
7. What is a "miai" dinner as described in Chapters 10 and 11?
8. What does Yukiko struggle with in Chapters 23 and 24?
9. What problem revolves around Yukiko according to Book I, Chapter 1?
10. What breaks the deal for the marriage between Segoshi and Yukiko?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose two sisters and discuss the relationship between them.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the role of social propriety and appearance based on the character of Yukiko.
Essay Topic 3
Define theme and discuss the theme of hostility as portrayed in the novel.
This section contains 586 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)