|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the main house of the Makioka family?
2. What does Yukiko ask Sachiko for concerning the new suitor?
3. Who is absent when Taeko, Sachiko and Teinosuke arrive for dinner?
4. Why is Tatsuo slow to give an answer on the marriage?
5. Why does the main house stay in the small house in Tokyo?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do the Makoika sisters stand out according to Chapter 19?
2. What event is described in Chapters 4 and 5?
3. What does Sachiko's illness culminate in according to Chapter 27?
4. How does Book II, Chapter 1 open?
5. What does Aunt Tominaga insist in Chapter 22?
6. What part of Etsuko's composition does Yukiko cross out in Chapter 8?
7. What problem revolves around Yukiko according to Book I, Chapter 1?
8. Who is O-Haru and what traits did she possess based on Chapters 4 and 5?
9. What does Sachiko resolve in Chapter 7?
10. What breaks the deal for the marriage between Segoshi and Yukiko?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare the relationship between Taeko and Itakura with Taeko and Okubata.
Essay Topic 2
Choose two sisters and discuss the relationship between them.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the role of O-Haru in the novel and examine her actions, traits, and characteristics.
This section contains 634 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)