|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What worries Sachiko even more after Mr. Stoltz returns?
2. What does Taeko plan on giving up according to Book II, Chapters 1-5?
3. Who visits Sachiko in Book II, Chapter 1?
4. Whose clothes does Taeko wear when coming back home according to Book II Chapter 12?
5. How old was Taeko when she tried to elope?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Mrs. Itani according to Chapter 2?
2. What does Chapter 11 describe about Itakura?
3. Why do the Makoika sisters stand out according to Chapter 19?
4. What does Okubata claim in Chapter 18?
5. What causes tension in Chapter 6?
6. What is Sachiko looking forward to in Chapter 14 and why?
7. Where does Sachiko arrive in Chapter 15?
8. What does Sachiko's illness culminate in according to Chapter 27?
9. Who overshadows Yukiko?
10. What does Yukiko struggle with in Chapters 23 and 24?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the role of social propriety and appearance based on the character of Yukiko.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the role that Taeko plays in the novel and how and why she breaks from Japanese tradition.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how Yukiko is contrasted with her sisters.
This section contains 495 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)