|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What declines during the 1930s?
2. What does Taeko tell Sachiko when confronted with the letter?
3. How many people live in the main house?
4. What does Mrs. Stoltz tell Yukiko?
5. Why does the main house stay in the small house in Tokyo?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Sachiko arrive in Chapter 15?
2. How do Teinosuke and Sachiko make decisions based on the conversation in Chapter 23?
3. What happens to the family roots in Chapter 21?
4. What does the dance recital show about Taeko in Chapter 3?
5. What opinion does Yukiko have on the marriage issue in Chapter 17?
6. Why do the Makoika sisters stand out according to Chapter 19?
7. What does Aunt Tominaga insist in Chapter 22?
8. How does Book II, Chapter 1 open?
9. What does Sachiko arrange in Chapter 20?
10. Whose intentions does Sachiko wonder about in Chapter 6?
Essay Topic 1
Examine the significance of the "miai" dinner and investigations into a potential spouse's background.
Essay Topic 2
Examine how honor plays a role in "The Makoika Sisters" and how a disinheritance can affect one's honor.
Essay Topic 3
Define theme and discuss the theme of hostility as portrayed in the novel.
This section contains 848 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)