|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Taeko plan on giving up according to Book II, Chapters 1-5?
2. Who took over the Makioka family business at the death of the patriarch?
3. Who is O-haru?
4. Why is Tatsuo slow to give an answer on the marriage?
5. What does Taeko plan on doing according to Book II, Chapter 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the meeting with Nomura not go well in Chapter 28?
2. What breaks the deal for the marriage between Segoshi and Yukiko?
3. Why do the Makoika sisters stand out according to Chapter 19?
4. What measures does Teinosuke go to to assure Segoshi of Yukiko's health during the mutual investigations in Chapters 12-14?
5. Under what pretext would the family allow Yukiko to return?
6. What does Okubata claim in Chapter 18?
7. What causes tension in Chapter 6?
8. What happens to the family roots in Chapter 21?
9. What is Sachiko looking forward to in Chapter 14 and why?
10. What does Aunt Tominaga insist in Chapter 22?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the development of conflict between the main house and the sisters.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the role of women in Japanese society during the setting of the novel and discuss the opposition to Taeko becoming a "working woman".
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the role that Taeko plays in the novel and how and why she breaks from Japanese tradition.
This section contains 582 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)