|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the main house of the Makioka family?
2. What blocks Teinosuke on his way to getting Taeko?
3. Who is Segoshi according to Book I, Chapters 10-16?
4. Who is Mrs. Itani?
5. Why is Teinosuke going to go get Etsuko from school?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens with many of the family's friends in Chapter 29?
2. What is on the horizon based on letters received from friends of Sachiko in Chapter 36?
3. What does the dance recital show about Taeko in Chapter 3?
4. What is a "miai" dinner as described in Chapters 10 and 11?
5. What does Sachiko sense about Sawazaki?
6. What underling theme is further developed in Chapter 12 through the Stoltz family?
7. Why does Yukiko panic?
8. Where does Sachiko arrive in Chapter 15?
9. What does Okubata claim in Chapter 18?
10. What event is described in Chapters 4 and 5?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the role of social propriety and appearance based on the character of Yukiko.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the significance of the setting of the novel "The Makoika Sisters".
Essay Topic 3
Choose two sisters and discuss the relationship between them.
This section contains 831 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)