|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Sachiko, Taeko, Yukiko and Etsuko go to see the cherry blossoms?
2. What do Taeko, Sachiko and Teinosuke think considering the strange circumstances at the dinner party?
3. What type of wife does Segoshi profess his preference for?
4. What strikes Tokyo on September 1?
5. When did Katherina leave Russia?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Taeko insist on based on Chapter 24?
2. Why do the Makoika sisters stand out according to Chapter 19?
3. What announcement does Mrs. Itani make in Chapter 27?
4. What news does Taeko give in Chapter 31?
5. What does the dance recital show about Taeko in Chapter 3?
6. What is the fault of the family according to Teinosuke?
7. Why does Yukiko panic?
8. What does Okubata claim in Chapter 18?
9. What does Sawazaki say in his letter in Book III, Chapter 7?
10. What is a "miai" dinner as described in Chapters 10 and 11?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the role of O-Haru in the novel and examine her actions, traits, and characteristics.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the role that Taeko plays in the novel and how and why she breaks from Japanese tradition.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the significance of the setting of the novel "The Makoika Sisters".
This section contains 782 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)