|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many sisters form the Makioka family according to Book I, Chapters 1-9?
2. Why does Tainosuke bring Yukiko to see a doctor?
3. Where do Yukiko and Taeko go for the new year celebrations?
4. What blocks Teinosuke on his way to getting Taeko?
5. Who is Mrs. Itani?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Aunt Tominaga insist in Chapter 22?
2. What causes tension in Chapter 6?
3. Where does Sachiko arrive in Chapter 15?
4. Who overshadows Yukiko?
5. What does Sachiko's illness culminate in according to Chapter 27?
6. What breaks the deal for the marriage between Segoshi and Yukiko?
7. What is a "miai" dinner as described in Chapters 10 and 11?
8. Who is O-Haru and what traits did she possess based on Chapters 4 and 5?
9. Why do the Makoika sisters stand out according to Chapter 19?
10. What does Yukiko struggle with in Chapters 23 and 24?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the role of foreigners in the novel and how the author uses foreshadowing by introducing these characters.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the role of O-Haru in the novel and examine her actions, traits, and characteristics.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the importance of the memorial service for the Makoika sisters' parents and discuss how its planning creates conflict.
This section contains 533 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)