|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Taeko, Sachiko and Teinosuke think during the dinner?
2. Who is the oldest sister?
3. Who does Sachiko receive a letter from in Book I, Chapters 23-29?
4. When does Sachiko plan on returning to Osaka?
5. What does Sachiko's illness culminate in?
Short Essay Questions
1. What opinion does Yukiko have on the marriage issue in Chapter 17?
2. What underling theme is further developed in Chapter 12 through the Stoltz family?
3. What is a "miai" dinner as described in Chapters 10 and 11?
4. What does Sachiko resolve in Chapter 7?
5. Under what pretext would the family allow Yukiko to return?
6. Why is O-Haru the topic of converasation between Sachiko and Tsuruko in Chapter 17?
7. What part of Etsuko's composition does Yukiko cross out in Chapter 8?
8. Why do the Makoika sisters stand out according to Chapter 19?
9. Whose intentions does Sachiko wonder about in Chapter 6?
10. What does Okubata claim in Chapter 18?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the importance of the memorial service for the Makoika sisters' parents and discuss how its planning creates conflict.
Essay Topic 2
Examine the relationship between Etsuko and Yukiko and how this role changes throughout the course of the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Examine the role that natural occurrences play in the lives of the Makoika sisters.
This section contains 671 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)