|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who deals with Mrs. Itani on the Segoshi matter?
2. What strikes Tokyo on September 1?
3. How old is Taeko?
4. Who invites Taeko, Sachiko and Teinosuke for dinner in Book I, Chapters 17-22?
5. Where are Mrs Stoltz's children?
Short Essay Questions
1. What event is described in Chapters 4 and 5?
2. Who is Mrs. Itani according to Chapter 2?
3. What does Chapter 11 describe about Itakura?
4. What is a "miai" dinner as described in Chapters 10 and 11?
5. What measures does Teinosuke go to to assure Segoshi of Yukiko's health during the mutual investigations in Chapters 12-14?
6. What does the dance recital show about Taeko in Chapter 3?
7. What happens to the family roots in Chapter 21?
8. What does Yukiko struggle with in Chapters 23 and 24?
9. What problem revolves around Yukiko according to Book I, Chapter 1?
10. What opinion does Yukiko have on the marriage issue in Chapter 17?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the significance of men in the novel and analyze their role in the lives of the sisters.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the role of social propriety and appearance based on the character of Yukiko.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the significance of Japanese tradition in the novel and how it impacts the lives of the characters.
This section contains 559 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)