|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What bad habit does Okubata take according to Taeko?
2. Where are Mrs Stoltz's children?
3. What is Etsuko becoming obsessed with?
4. When does Sachiko plan on returning to Osaka?
5. Why does Sachiko not want to urge Yukiko about a new suitor?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Sachiko's illness culminate in according to Chapter 27?
2. What measures does Teinosuke go to to assure Segoshi of Yukiko's health during the mutual investigations in Chapters 12-14?
3. What breaks the deal for the marriage between Segoshi and Yukiko?
4. What opinion does Yukiko have on the marriage issue in Chapter 17?
5. Under what pretext would the family allow Yukiko to return?
6. What part of Etsuko's composition does Yukiko cross out in Chapter 8?
7. What is a "miai" dinner as described in Chapters 10 and 11?
8. Where does Sachiko arrive in Chapter 15?
9. How does Book II, Chapter 1 open?
10. What does Aunt Tominaga insist in Chapter 22?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the role of social propriety and appearance based on the character of Yukiko.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how Yukiko is contrasted with her sisters.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the development of conflict between the main house and the sisters.
This section contains 640 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)