|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Yukiko?
2. What does Teinosuke notice on Sachiko?
3. What declines during the 1930s?
4. What is said of Tsuruko's house?
5. What bad habit does Okubata take according to Taeko?
Short Essay Questions
1. Whose intentions does Sachiko wonder about in Chapter 6?
2. What does Yukiko struggle with in Chapters 23 and 24?
3. Why do the Makoika sisters stand out according to Chapter 19?
4. What underling theme is further developed in Chapter 12 through the Stoltz family?
5. Under what pretext would the family allow Yukiko to return?
6. What does Okubata claim in Chapter 18?
7. What part of Etsuko's composition does Yukiko cross out in Chapter 8?
8. What does Aunt Tominaga insist in Chapter 22?
9. What does Sachiko's illness culminate in according to Chapter 27?
10. Who is Mrs. Itani according to Chapter 2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the role that natural occurrences play in the lives of the Makoika sisters.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the role of social propriety and appearance based on the character of Yukiko.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the relationship between Sachiko and Teinosuke.
This section contains 546 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)