|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Tatsuo slow to give an answer on the marriage?
2. What do Sachiko, Teinosuke, Etsuko and O-Haru write to Yukiko?
3. What is Itakura's occupation?
4. Who is Mrs. Itani?
5. What is Etsuko becoming obsessed with?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Mrs. Itani according to Chapter 2?
2. What does Aunt Tominaga insist in Chapter 22?
3. What breaks the deal for the marriage between Segoshi and Yukiko?
4. What does Chapter 11 describe about Itakura?
5. How does Book II, Chapter 1 open?
6. What does Yukiko struggle with in Chapters 23 and 24?
7. What opinion does Yukiko have on the marriage issue in Chapter 17?
8. What does Sachiko's illness culminate in according to Chapter 27?
9. What does Sachiko resolve in Chapter 7?
10. Whose intentions does Sachiko wonder about in Chapter 6?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the role of women in Japanese society during the setting of the novel and discuss the opposition to Taeko becoming a "working woman".
Essay Topic 2
Examine the role of foreigners in the novel and how the author uses foreshadowing by introducing these characters.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the significance of the setting of the novel "The Makoika Sisters".
This section contains 546 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)