|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do Tatsuo and Tsuruko have to move into a smaller house?
2. Who tells Sachiko that Yukiko should live at the main house and not with her?
3. What does Sachiko receive in the mail from a former classmate?
4. What worries Sachiko even more after Mr. Stoltz returns?
5. What does the man who took over the family business do in order to insure the continuity of the business?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Chapter 11 describe about Itakura?
2. What part of Etsuko's composition does Yukiko cross out in Chapter 8?
3. Who is Mrs. Itani according to Chapter 2?
4. Whose intentions does Sachiko wonder about in Chapter 6?
5. What is a "miai" dinner as described in Chapters 10 and 11?
6. What breaks the deal for the marriage between Segoshi and Yukiko?
7. What measures does Teinosuke go to to assure Segoshi of Yukiko's health during the mutual investigations in Chapters 12-14?
8. What does Okubata claim in Chapter 18?
9. What event is described in Chapters 4 and 5?
10. Why is O-Haru the topic of converasation between Sachiko and Tsuruko in Chapter 17?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the significance of men in the novel and analyze their role in the lives of the sisters.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the role of O-Haru in the novel and examine her actions, traits, and characteristics.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the role that Taeko plays in the novel and how and why she breaks from Japanese tradition.
This section contains 731 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)