|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is said of Tsuruko's house?
2. When did Katherina leave Russia?
3. What does Sachiko do after the storm?
4. Why does Sachiko not want to urge Yukiko about a new suitor?
5. Who contacts Sachiko about Nomura?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Sachiko looking forward to in Chapter 14 and why?
2. Under what pretext would the family allow Yukiko to return?
3. What problem revolves around Yukiko according to Book I, Chapter 1?
4. What does the dance recital show about Taeko in Chapter 3?
5. What does Yukiko struggle with in Chapters 23 and 24?
6. Why do the Makoika sisters stand out according to Chapter 19?
7. What breaks the deal for the marriage between Segoshi and Yukiko?
8. What does Aunt Tominaga insist in Chapter 22?
9. What happens to the family roots in Chapter 21?
10. What opinion does Yukiko have on the marriage issue in Chapter 17?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the significance of the "miai" dinner and investigations into a potential spouse's background.
Essay Topic 2
Compare the relationship between Taeko and Itakura with Taeko and Okubata.
Essay Topic 3
Choose two male characters and compare their roles in the novel.
This section contains 588 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)