|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the main house of the Makioka family?
2. What does Mrs. Stoltz tell Yukiko?
3. Who is O-haru?
4. Who saves Taeko?
5. Why does Tatsuo reject Segoshi as a candidate for Yukiko?
Short Essay Questions
1. What event is described in Chapters 4 and 5?
2. What does Yukiko struggle with in Chapters 23 and 24?
3. Who is O-Haru and what traits did she possess based on Chapters 4 and 5?
4. What part of Etsuko's composition does Yukiko cross out in Chapter 8?
5. What does Chapter 11 describe about Itakura?
6. What breaks the deal for the marriage between Segoshi and Yukiko?
7. Whose intentions does Sachiko wonder about in Chapter 6?
8. What problem revolves around Yukiko according to Book I, Chapter 1?
9. What does Sachiko's illness culminate in according to Chapter 27?
10. What opinion does Yukiko have on the marriage issue in Chapter 17?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the relationship between Sachiko and Teinosuke.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how Yukiko is contrasted with her sisters.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the significance of men in the novel and analyze their role in the lives of the sisters.
This section contains 623 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)