|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who tells Mrs. Itani about the canceled marriage?
2. What is Itakura's occupation?
3. Why is Teinosuke going to go get Etsuko from school?
4. What do Taeko, Sachiko and Teinosuke think during the dinner?
5. Why does Tainosuke bring Yukiko to see a doctor?
Short Essay Questions
1. Whose intentions does Sachiko wonder about in Chapter 6?
2. What is Sachiko looking forward to in Chapter 14 and why?
3. Why do the Makoika sisters stand out according to Chapter 19?
4. Who is O-Haru and what traits did she possess based on Chapters 4 and 5?
5. What does Chapter 11 describe about Itakura?
6. What event is described in Chapters 4 and 5?
7. What does Okubata claim in Chapter 18?
8. Who overshadows Yukiko?
9. What breaks the deal for the marriage between Segoshi and Yukiko?
10. What does Aunt Tominaga insist in Chapter 22?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the relationship between Sachiko and Teinosuke.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the significance of Japanese tradition in the novel and how it impacts the lives of the characters.
Essay Topic 3
Examine how honor plays a role in "The Makoika Sisters" and how a disinheritance can affect one's honor.
This section contains 555 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)