|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is O-haru?
2. What does Taeko plan on doing according to Book II, Chapter 1?
3. What blocks Teinosuke on his way to getting Taeko?
4. How does Taeko plan on financing her endeavor?
5. Who tells Mrs. Itani about the canceled marriage?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Aunt Tominaga insist in Chapter 22?
2. Who is O-Haru and what traits did she possess based on Chapters 4 and 5?
3. Who is Mrs. Itani according to Chapter 2?
4. What opinion does Yukiko have on the marriage issue in Chapter 17?
5. What problem revolves around Yukiko according to Book I, Chapter 1?
6. What causes tension in Chapter 6?
7. What does the dance recital show about Taeko in Chapter 3?
8. What part of Etsuko's composition does Yukiko cross out in Chapter 8?
9. What measures does Teinosuke go to to assure Segoshi of Yukiko's health during the mutual investigations in Chapters 12-14?
10. What does Yukiko struggle with in Chapters 23 and 24?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the importance of the memorial service for the Makoika sisters' parents and discuss how its planning creates conflict.
Essay Topic 2
Choose two sisters and discuss the relationship between them.
Essay Topic 3
Examine the significance of the "miai" dinner and investigations into a potential spouse's background.
This section contains 572 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)