|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mrs. Stoltz tell Yukiko?
2. Who sends a letter to Sachiko at the inn?
3. How old is Yukiko?
4. Where are the Stoltzes from?
5. What is Etsuko becoming obsessed with?
Short Essay Questions
1. Whose intentions does Sachiko wonder about in Chapter 6?
2. What causes tension in Chapter 6?
3. How does Book II, Chapter 1 open?
4. What is Sachiko looking forward to in Chapter 14 and why?
5. Where does Sachiko arrive in Chapter 15?
6. What problem revolves around Yukiko according to Book I, Chapter 1?
7. What part of Etsuko's composition does Yukiko cross out in Chapter 8?
8. What does Aunt Tominaga insist in Chapter 22?
9. What breaks the deal for the marriage between Segoshi and Yukiko?
10. Why does the meeting with Nomura not go well in Chapter 28?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the role of social propriety and appearance based on the character of Yukiko.
Essay Topic 2
Compare the relationship between Taeko and Itakura with Taeko and Okubata.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the significance of men in the novel and analyze their role in the lives of the sisters.
This section contains 594 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)