|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who invites Taeko, Sachiko and Teinosuke for dinner in Book I, Chapters 17-22?
2. Why is Teinosuke going to go get Etsuko from school?
3. Who did the newspaper report as trying to elope?
4. Where is the main house of the Makioka family?
5. What strikes Tokyo on September 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. What part of Etsuko's composition does Yukiko cross out in Chapter 8?
2. How does Book II, Chapter 1 open?
3. What does Sachiko resolve in Chapter 7?
4. What does Sachiko's illness culminate in according to Chapter 27?
5. What is Sachiko looking forward to in Chapter 14 and why?
6. Who overshadows Yukiko?
7. Whose intentions does Sachiko wonder about in Chapter 6?
8. What does Okubata claim in Chapter 18?
9. What causes tension in Chapter 6?
10. What is a "miai" dinner as described in Chapters 10 and 11?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the significance of men in the novel and analyze their role in the lives of the sisters.
Essay Topic 2
Compare the relationship between Taeko and Itakura with Taeko and Okubata.
Essay Topic 3
Examine the role of foreigners in the novel and how the author uses foreshadowing by introducing these characters.
This section contains 562 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)