|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Katherina leave Russia?
2. Who does Sachiko take to Tokyo beside Yukiko and Etsuko according to Book II, Chapters 14-20?
3. What does Taeko plan on giving up according to Book II, Chapters 1-5?
4. What does Yukiko say she will follow?
5. How many people live in the main house?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is a "miai" dinner as described in Chapters 10 and 11?
2. Who is Mr. Hashidera according to Chapter 13?
3. What does Sachiko learn about Taeko in Chapter 9?
4. Why do the Makoika sisters stand out according to Chapter 19?
5. Whose intentions does Sachiko wonder about in Chapter 6?
6. What does Sachiko's illness culminate in according to Chapter 27?
7. What does Aunt Tominaga insist in Chapter 22?
8. What problem revolves around Yukiko according to Book I, Chapter 1?
9. What is on the horizon based on letters received from friends of Sachiko in Chapter 36?
10. What decision does Taeko make in Chapter 12?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the significance of Japanese tradition in the novel and how it impacts the lives of the characters.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the significance of men in the novel and analyze their role in the lives of the sisters.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the role that Taeko plays in the novel and how and why she breaks from Japanese tradition.
This section contains 822 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)