|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Taeko?
2. Who sends a letter to Sachiko at the inn?
3. What does Taeko tell Sachiko when confronted with the letter?
4. What worries Sachiko even more after Mr. Stoltz returns?
5. Who deals with Mrs. Itani on the Segoshi matter?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who overshadows Yukiko?
2. What is Sachiko looking forward to in Chapter 14 and why?
3. What does Okubata claim in Chapter 18?
4. What does Aunt Tominaga insist in Chapter 22?
5. What causes tension in Chapter 6?
6. What breaks the deal for the marriage between Segoshi and Yukiko?
7. What does Chapter 11 describe about Itakura?
8. What part of Etsuko's composition does Yukiko cross out in Chapter 8?
9. What happens to the family roots in Chapter 21?
10. Why is O-Haru the topic of converasation between Sachiko and Tsuruko in Chapter 17?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the significance of Japanese tradition in the novel and how it impacts the lives of the characters.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the development of conflict between the main house and the sisters.
Essay Topic 3
Choose two sisters and discuss the relationship between them.
This section contains 607 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)