|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is supporting the conversation during the dinner with Segoshi?
2. What does Sachiko plan to take Etsuko to?
3. Why is Tatsuo slow to give an answer on the marriage?
4. Why does Sachiko not want to urge Yukiko about a new suitor?
5. What declines during the 1930s?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Aunt Tominaga insist in Chapter 22?
2. What underling theme is further developed in Chapter 12 through the Stoltz family?
3. What does Yukiko struggle with in Chapters 23 and 24?
4. Why do the Makoika sisters stand out according to Chapter 19?
5. What measures does Teinosuke go to to assure Segoshi of Yukiko's health during the mutual investigations in Chapters 12-14?
6. What causes tension in Chapter 6?
7. How does Book II, Chapter 1 open?
8. What does the dance recital show about Taeko in Chapter 3?
9. What opinion does Yukiko have on the marriage issue in Chapter 17?
10. Who overshadows Yukiko?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define theme and discuss the theme of hostility as portrayed in the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the role that Taeko plays in the novel and how and why she breaks from Japanese tradition.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the role of social propriety and appearance based on the character of Yukiko.
This section contains 542 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)