|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the main house stay in the small house in Tokyo?
2. What does Sachiko receive in the mail from a former classmate?
3. Where do Sachiko, Taeko, Yukiko and Etsuko go to see the cherry blossoms?
4. What does Teinosuke notice on Sachiko?
5. Who walks Etuko to school every morning?
Short Essay Questions
1. What opinion does Yukiko have on the marriage issue in Chapter 17?
2. What does Chapter 11 describe about Itakura?
3. What does Sachiko resolve in Chapter 7?
4. What is Sachiko looking forward to in Chapter 14 and why?
5. Where does Sachiko arrive in Chapter 15?
6. Why is O-Haru the topic of converasation between Sachiko and Tsuruko in Chapter 17?
7. Under what pretext would the family allow Yukiko to return?
8. What underling theme is further developed in Chapter 12 through the Stoltz family?
9. What is a "miai" dinner as described in Chapters 10 and 11?
10. Who is O-Haru and what traits did she possess based on Chapters 4 and 5?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the significance of the "miai" dinner and investigations into a potential spouse's background.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the relationship between Sachiko and Teinosuke.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the role of women in Japanese society during the setting of the novel and discuss the opposition to Taeko becoming a "working woman".
This section contains 606 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)