|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did the newspaper report as trying to elope?
2. What does Sachiko do after the storm?
3. Who saves Taeko?
4. Why does the main house stay in the small house in Tokyo?
5. Who does Sachiko take to Tokyo beside Yukiko and Etsuko according to Book II, Chapters 14-20?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to the family roots in Chapter 21?
2. What event is described in Chapters 4 and 5?
3. What do Sachiko and Yukiko ignore in Chapter 19?
4. What does Taeko insist on based on Chapter 24?
5. How does Book II, Chapter 1 open?
6. What news does Taeko give in Chapter 31?
7. What is the fault of the family according to Teinosuke?
8. Why do the Makoika sisters stand out according to Chapter 19?
9. What is a "miai" dinner as described in Chapters 10 and 11?
10. Who is O-Haru and what traits did she possess based on Chapters 4 and 5?
Essay Topic 1
Examine the role of foreigners in the novel and how the author uses foreshadowing by introducing these characters.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the significance of men in the novel and analyze their role in the lives of the sisters.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the role of O-Haru in the novel and examine her actions, traits, and characteristics.
This section contains 810 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)