|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Yukiko sometimes do in the main house?
2. Who invites Taeko, Sachiko and Teinosuke for dinner in Book I, Chapters 17-22?
3. Who takes the initiative to ask for a neighbor's help as the house shows sign of weakness?
4. What does Mrs. Stoltz tell Yukiko?
5. Who deals with Mrs. Itani on the Segoshi matter?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to the family roots in Chapter 21?
2. How does Book II, Chapter 1 open?
3. What does Sachiko's illness culminate in according to Chapter 27?
4. What measures does Teinosuke go to to assure Segoshi of Yukiko's health during the mutual investigations in Chapters 12-14?
5. What does Chapter 11 describe about Itakura?
6. Where does Sachiko arrive in Chapter 15?
7. Who is O-Haru and what traits did she possess based on Chapters 4 and 5?
8. What part of Etsuko's composition does Yukiko cross out in Chapter 8?
9. Whose intentions does Sachiko wonder about in Chapter 6?
10. What opinion does Yukiko have on the marriage issue in Chapter 17?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how Yukiko is contrasted with her sisters.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the relationship between Sachiko and Teinosuke.
Essay Topic 3
Examine the role of foreigners in the novel and how the author uses foreshadowing by introducing these characters.
This section contains 612 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)