|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many people live in the main house?
2. What type of wife does Segoshi profess his preference for?
3. Who comes to inquire about Taeko?
4. Where do Sachiko, Taeko, Yukiko and Etsuko go to see the cherry blossoms?
5. Why does Tatsuo reject Segoshi as a candidate for Yukiko?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to the family roots in Chapter 21?
2. What does Sachiko's illness culminate in according to Chapter 27?
3. Who is O-Haru and what traits did she possess based on Chapters 4 and 5?
4. What causes tension in Chapter 6?
5. What is a "miai" dinner as described in Chapters 10 and 11?
6. Why is O-Haru the topic of converasation between Sachiko and Tsuruko in Chapter 17?
7. What measures does Teinosuke go to to assure Segoshi of Yukiko's health during the mutual investigations in Chapters 12-14?
8. What underling theme is further developed in Chapter 12 through the Stoltz family?
9. Who overshadows Yukiko?
10. What does Chapter 11 describe about Itakura?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the relationship between Etsuko and Yukiko and how this role changes throughout the course of the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Examine how honor plays a role in "The Makoika Sisters" and how a disinheritance can affect one's honor.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the importance of the memorial service for the Makoika sisters' parents and discuss how its planning creates conflict.
This section contains 566 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)