|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who comes to propose his help to Sachiko In Book II, Chapter 6?
2. Who deals with Mrs. Itani on the Segoshi matter?
3. Why does Sachiko not want to urge Yukiko about a new suitor?
4. Who contacts Sachiko about Nomura?
5. What do Taeko, Sachiko and Teinosuke think during the dinner?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Book II, Chapter 1 open?
2. What does Sachiko resolve in Chapter 7?
3. What does Sachiko's illness culminate in according to Chapter 27?
4. Who is Mrs. Itani according to Chapter 2?
5. Whose intentions does Sachiko wonder about in Chapter 6?
6. What does Aunt Tominaga insist in Chapter 22?
7. Why do the Makoika sisters stand out according to Chapter 19?
8. Where does Sachiko arrive in Chapter 15?
9. What part of Etsuko's composition does Yukiko cross out in Chapter 8?
10. What causes tension in Chapter 6?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the role that Taeko plays in the novel and how and why she breaks from Japanese tradition.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the development of conflict between the main house and the sisters.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the significance of men in the novel and analyze their role in the lives of the sisters.
This section contains 585 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)