|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the man who took over the family business do in order to insure the continuity of the business?
2. What is not a crucial objection about Nomura?
3. Who does Sachiko receive a letter from in Book I, Chapters 23-29?
4. Who saves Taeko?
5. Where are the Stoltzes from?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Aunt Tominaga insist in Chapter 22?
2. Under what pretext would the family allow Yukiko to return?
3. Why do the Makoika sisters stand out according to Chapter 19?
4. What does Yukiko struggle with in Chapters 23 and 24?
5. What causes tension in Chapter 6?
6. Who overshadows Yukiko?
7. What does Okubata claim in Chapter 18?
8. What happens to the family roots in Chapter 21?
9. What does the dance recital show about Taeko in Chapter 3?
10. What is Sachiko looking forward to in Chapter 14 and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine how honor plays a role in "The Makoika Sisters" and how a disinheritance can affect one's honor.
Essay Topic 2
Examine the relationship between Etsuko and Yukiko and how this role changes throughout the course of the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the role of women in Japanese society during the setting of the novel and discuss the opposition to Taeko becoming a "working woman".
This section contains 529 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)