|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Sachiko angry at Yukiko?
(a) She said to Hashidera that she wanted to marry him.
(b) She invited Hashidera to the house.
(c) She refused to go walk with Hashidera.
(d) She went and met Hashidera without a chaperone.
2. What does Tsuruko say about Taeko and Okubata in the letter sent to Sachiko?
(a) That they must marry.
(b) That they must move away from Osaka.
(c) That they cannot marry.
(d) That they must put in writting what their intensions are toward each other.
3. Why is Tatsuo opposed to Taeko learning sewing?
(a) The pay is low.
(b) It would not be an asset in finding her a husband.
(c) It would be too costly.
(d) He doesn't want her to be a working woman.
4. What is Mr. Hashidera's profession?
5. What happens that Sachiko see as a bad omen?
(a) The train breaks down.
(b) The boat runs ashore.
(c) The car breaks down.
(d) The bus breaks down.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Katherina's final destination?
2. What is Yukiko's chaperone not sure of?
3. Who joins Mrs. Itani in the quest to find Yukiko a husband in Book III, Chapters 13-18?
4. What does Okubata do during the recital?
5. Where is Teinosuke during the recital in Book II, Chapters 28-35?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mrs. Stoltz do in Chapter 21?
2. What does Sawazaki say in his letter in Book III, Chapter 7?
3. What does Yukiko do in Chapter 26?
4. Why do Yukiko, Taeko, Etsuko, and Sachiko travel by train to Ogaki in Book III, Chapter 1?
5. What is the fault of the family according to Teinosuke?
6. What does Sachiko take as a bad omen?
7. What does Sachiko sense about Sawazaki?
8. Who do they meet in Tokyo in Chapter 30?
9. What is a cause of concern for Teinosuke in Chapter 28?
10. Why does Yukiko panic?
This section contains 590 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)