|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Taeko return at night?
(a) The neighbor.
(b) Her friend Isimura.
(d) Her apartment.
2. Who does O-haru speak to to get her information about Taeko?
(a) The Okubata's maid.
(b) The sister of Okubata.
(c) A landlord.
(d) The Okubata's neigbors.
3. What does Sachiko think of Taeko seeing Okubata?
(a) She still hopes they will marry.
(b) She hopes they will elope.
(c) She wishes Taeko would see how bad Okubata is.
(d) She hopes they will break up.
4. Why does Taeko return to Ashiya precipitately?
(a) Itakura is ill.
(b) Itakura has an accident.
(c) Itakura's family wants to negotiate a wedding.
(d) Itakura wants her as a good luck charm for his surgery.
5. What doesn't Taeko come to the house while Teinosuke is home?
(a) For fear of punishment.
(b) For her own sanity.
(c) For appearance's sake.
(d) For fear of being followed by the maid.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Mrs. Itani selling her shop?
2. Where is Okubata considering going?
3. What is Yukiko's chaperone not sure of?
4. What news does Taeko receive from Katherine?
5. Where is Taeko at the end of Book III, Chapters 13-18?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is there tension between the main house and the rest of the family in Chapter 8?
2. What does Taeko insist on based on Chapter 24?
3. What announcement does Mrs. Itani make in Chapter 27?
4. Who is Mimaki?
5. Who is Mr. Hashidera according to Chapter 13?
6. What does Sawazaki say in his letter in Book III, Chapter 7?
7. What furthers the conflict between Sachiko and the main house in Chapter 23?
8. What bad news does O-haru bring?
9. What decision does Taeko make in Chapter 12?
10. What does Sachiko learn about Taeko in Chapter 9?
This section contains 612 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)