|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What worries Sachiko even more after Mr. Stoltz returns?
(a) Mr. Stoltz tells her about seeing Teinosuke almost drowning.
(b) The phones are down.
(c) Mr. Stoltz tells her about seeing flotting body.
(d) The description of the flood.
2. Why does Tainosuke bring Yukiko to see a doctor?
(a) Segoshi heard that Yukiko might be in poor health.
(b) Segoshi wants a complete physical done of Yukiko.
(c) Yukiko has a bad cough.
(d) Yukiko pretends to be sick.
3. What does Yukiko sometimes do in the main house?
(a) Cleans in place of her sister.
(b) Goes alone to her room and cries.
(c) Brings male friends.
(d) Argues with her sister.
4. Where do Sachiko, Taeko, Yukiko and Etsuko go to see the cherry blossoms?
5. Why is Teinosuke going to go get Etsuko from school?
(a) Because of a earthquake.
(b) Because of a tsunami.
(c) Because of the floods.
(d) Because of a doctor appointment.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the man who took over the family business do in order to insure the continuity of the business?
2. When did Katherina leave Russia?
3. Who invites Taeko, Sachiko and Teinosuke for dinner in Book I, Chapters 17-22?
4. When does Sachiko plan on returning to Osaka?
5. Who is supporting the conversation during the dinner with Segoshi?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who overshadows Yukiko?
2. Who is O-Haru and what traits did she possess based on Chapters 4 and 5?
3. What does Sachiko's illness culminate in according to Chapter 27?
4. Where does Sachiko arrive in Chapter 15?
5. What part of Etsuko's composition does Yukiko cross out in Chapter 8?
6. Why do the Makoika sisters stand out according to Chapter 19?
7. How does Book II, Chapter 1 open?
8. What happens to the family roots in Chapter 21?
9. What causes tension in Chapter 6?
10. What opinion does Yukiko have on the marriage issue in Chapter 17?
This section contains 680 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)