|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who has final say in the decision to marry Yukiko to Segoshi?
(b) The main house.
2. What does Sachiko do after the storm?
(a) He cries.
(b) Go to an inn.
(c) Returns to Osaka.
(d) Helps with the moving of the main house.
3. What does Sachiko decide while looking at the picture?
(a) She will let Taeko elope with Itakura.
(b) She will let Taeko move to Germany.
(c) She will let Yukiko marry Sasigoe.
(d) She will let Taeko go to Paris.
4. Why does Sachiko not want to urge Yukiko about a new suitor?
(a) She wants to make sure the man is honest before telling Yukiko about him.
(b) She wants to find someone for Taeko first.
(c) She wants Yukiko to be sure she wants to marry.
(d) The breakdown of negotiations is still recent.
5. What happens to Teinosuke on his way to Taeko's school?
(a) He saves a child.
(b) He helps push a car off the road.
(c) He almost drowns.
(d) He gets lost.
Short Answer Questions
1. What photograph does Sachiko look at in Taeko's room?
2. What does Yukiko ask Sachiko for concerning the new suitor?
3. How old was Taeko when she tried to elope?
4. What is Etsuko becoming obsessed with?
5. Why are Sachiko, Taeko, Yukiko and Etsuko stopped and asked to be photographed?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do the Makoika sisters stand out according to Chapter 19?
2. What is a "miai" dinner as described in Chapters 10 and 11?
3. What does Sachiko arrange in Chapter 20?
4. What does Sachiko take as a bad omen?
5. What does Chapter 11 describe about Itakura?
6. What happens with Itakura in Chapter 33 and Chapter 34?
7. What does Sawazaki say in his letter in Book III, Chapter 7?
8. Why is Sachiko alarmed in regard to Taeko in Chapter 31?
9. Why is there tension between the main house and the rest of the family in Chapter 8?
10. What is a cause of concern for Teinosuke in Chapter 28?
This section contains 670 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)