|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What classes does Taeko take?
(b) Proper etiquette.
2. Why does Yukiko refuse to marry Nomura?
(a) He is not rich enough.
(b) He does not want to allow her to work.
(c) He is too hold for her.
(d) Because of the shrine to his wife and children he is keeping.
3. What is not a crucial objection about Nomura?
(a) He is not as rich as the main house would like.
(b) He is not as old as the main house would like.
(c) He is older than the main house would like.
(d) He is not as well connected the main house would like.
4. Why does Sachiko not want to urge Yukiko about a new suitor?
(a) She wants Yukiko to be sure she wants to marry.
(b) She wants to find someone for Taeko first.
(c) The breakdown of negotiations is still recent.
(d) She wants to make sure the man is honest before telling Yukiko about him.
5. Who took over the Makioka family business at the death of the patriarch?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do Tatsuo and Tsuruko have to move into a smaller house?
2. What does Mrs. Stoltz tell Yukiko?
3. Who visits Sachiko in Book II, Chapter 1?
4. What does Sachiko receive in the mail from a former classmate?
5. Where are Mrs Stoltz's children?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mrs. Stoltz do in Chapter 21?
2. What measures does Teinosuke go to to assure Segoshi of Yukiko's health during the mutual investigations in Chapters 12-14?
3. What furthers the conflict between Sachiko and the main house in Chapter 23?
4. What is a cause of concern for Teinosuke in Chapter 28?
5. Why do Yukiko, Taeko, Etsuko, and Sachiko travel by train to Ogaki in Book III, Chapter 1?
6. What does Aunt Tominaga insist in Chapter 22?
7. Who is Mr. Hashidera according to Chapter 13?
8. How does Book II, Chapter 1 open?
9. Who is O-Haru and what traits did she possess based on Chapters 4 and 5?
10. What decision does Taeko make in Chapter 12?
This section contains 678 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)