|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When does Sachiko plan on returning to Osaka?
(a) After a few days vacation.
(b) After Etsuko see the doctor.
(c) After a couple weeks at the main house.
(d) As soon as she can find room in a hospital for Etsuko.
2. What classes does Taeko take?
(b) Proper etiquette.
3. What does the visitor inquiring about Taeko bring?
(a) His car.
(b) His camera.
(c) His umbrella.
(d) His boat.
4. What do Taeko, Sachiko and Teinosuke think considering the strange circumstances at the dinner party?
(a) That they are not welcome.
(b) That their friendship is over.
(c) That they did not follow proper protocol.
(d) That they came the wrong day.
5. What does Yukiko say she will follow?
(a) The decision of the family.
(b) Her own heart.
(c) The advice of Sachiko.
(d) The will of her husband.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is said of Tsuruko's house?
2. What does Taeko plan on giving up according to Book II, Chapters 1-5?
3. What does Sachiko ask Yukiko in the car on their way home?
4. What does Sachiko receive in the mail from a former classmate?
5. Why is Tatsuo slow to give an answer on the marriage?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is O-Haru and what traits did she possess based on Chapters 4 and 5?
2. What opinion does Yukiko have on the marriage issue in Chapter 17?
3. Why do the Makoika sisters stand out according to Chapter 19?
4. What does Sachiko resolve in Chapter 7?
5. What does Chapter 11 describe about Itakura?
6. What is a "miai" dinner as described in Chapters 10 and 11?
7. Under what pretext would the family allow Yukiko to return?
8. What does Sachiko's illness culminate in according to Chapter 27?
9. What does Yukiko struggle with in Chapters 23 and 24?
10. Why does the meeting with Nomura not go well in Chapter 28?
This section contains 711 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)