|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who took over the Makioka family business at the death of the patriarch?
2. What does Sachiko do after the storm?
(a) Helps with the moving of the main house.
(b) Returns to Osaka.
(c) Go to an inn.
(d) He cries.
3. What does Mrs. Stoltz tell Yukiko?
(a) That they are leaving Japan.
(b) That Taeko wants to move with them.
(c) That they are moving to Tokyo.
(d) That Mr Stoltz wants to leave her.
4. Why does Tatsuo reject Segoshi as a candidate for Yukiko?
(a) His mother may have been mentaly ill.
(b) He is not rich enough.
(c) He is too old for Yukiko.
(d) He was married beofre.
5. Who tells Sachiko that Yukiko should live at the main house and not with her?
(a) An aunt.
(d) Her sister.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who walks Etuko to school every morning?
2. When did Katherina leave Russia?
3. What does Sachiko ask Yukiko in the car on their way home?
4. Why does Sachiko not want to urge Yukiko about a new suitor?
5. Why does the main house stay in the small house in Tokyo?
Short Essay Questions
1. What part of Etsuko's composition does Yukiko cross out in Chapter 8?
2. What does the dance recital show about Taeko in Chapter 3?
3. What does Chapter 11 describe about Itakura?
4. Whose intentions does Sachiko wonder about in Chapter 6?
5. What event is described in Chapters 4 and 5?
6. What underling theme is further developed in Chapter 12 through the Stoltz family?
7. What does Sachiko resolve in Chapter 7?
8. What does Sachiko's illness culminate in according to Chapter 27?
9. What does Okubata claim in Chapter 18?
10. Why do the Makoika sisters stand out according to Chapter 19?
This section contains 737 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)