|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do Tatsuo and Tsuruko have to move into a smaller house?
(a) Their lease was canceled on a bigger house.
(b) The house was in a better neiborhood.
(c) The house was more solidly built.
(d) The price was lower.
2. When did Katherina leave Russia?
(a) When the Communists took power.
(b) In 1929.
(c) When her father died.
(d) After her birth.
3. How old is Taeko?
4. What do Sachiko, Teinosuke, Etsuko and O-Haru write to Yukiko?
(a) A story meant to support her suffering.
(b) A short funny letter..
(c) Each a long letter.
(d) A poem.
5. Why is Tatsuo slow to give an answer on the marriage?
(a) The mail is slow to reach him.
(b) He is busy dealing with a contract.
(c) He wants to think about it.
(d) An investigation must be conducted.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is supporting the conversation during the dinner with Segoshi?
2. Who tells Mrs. Itani about the canceled marriage?
3. Who has final say in the decision to marry Yukiko to Segoshi?
4. Who contacts Sachiko about Nomura?
5. Why are Sachiko, Taeko, Yukiko and Etsuko stopped and asked to be photographed?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Sachiko looking forward to in Chapter 14 and why?
2. What does Chapter 11 describe about Itakura?
3. What underling theme is further developed in Chapter 12 through the Stoltz family?
4. Why do the Makoika sisters stand out according to Chapter 19?
5. Why is O-Haru the topic of converasation between Sachiko and Tsuruko in Chapter 17?
6. What is a "miai" dinner as described in Chapters 10 and 11?
7. Why does the meeting with Nomura not go well in Chapter 28?
8. What does Okubata claim in Chapter 18?
9. Who is O-Haru and what traits did she possess based on Chapters 4 and 5?
10. What opinion does Yukiko have on the marriage issue in Chapter 17?
This section contains 686 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)