|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Tatsuo opposed to Taeko learning sewing?
(a) The pay is low.
(b) It would be too costly.
(c) He doesn't want her to be a working woman.
(d) It would not be an asset in finding her a husband.
2. What does Yukiko think of Taeko and Okubata?
(a) They should elope.
(b) They should marry.
(c) They should not marry.
(d) They should live together.
3. Who introduces Saigusa to Yukiko?
(b) Mrs Itani.
4. What would have happened had Taeko been discovered at Okubata's?
(a) They would have been forced to marry.
(b) It would have been a smear on the family.
(c) They would have been forced to stop seeing each other.
(d) Taejo would have been forced to move away.
5. How many mistresses does Okubata have?
6. Why is Taeko's teacher canceling her trip to Paris?
(a) She does not have enough money to go.
(b) She now wants to to to America.
(c) Threat of war.
(d) She found a better paying job.
7. Why is Sachiko angry at Yukiko?
(a) She went and met Hashidera without a chaperone.
(b) She said to Hashidera that she wanted to marry him.
(c) She invited Hashidera to the house.
(d) She refused to go walk with Hashidera.
8. What does Sachiko think of Mr. Hashidera?
(a) She is indifferent.
(b) She hates him.
(c) She likes him.
(d) She is doubtful.
9. What happens that Sachiko see as a bad omen?
(a) The train breaks down.
(b) The boat runs ashore.
(c) The car breaks down.
(d) The bus breaks down.
10. What do Sachiko and Teinosuke tell to the main house to try to help her go to Paris?
(a) Taeko wants to become a dancer.
(b) Taeko wants to marry Okutaba.
(c) Taeko wants to elope.
(d) Taeko wants to marry Itakura.
11. Why is the main house organizing a ceremony?
(a) The new year.
(b) The cherry blossoms.
(c) The anniversary of the death of the sisters' parents.
(d) Sachiko's wedding anniversary.
12. What does Sachiko learn from O-Haru?
(a) Okubata is taking the place of head of his family.
(b) Okubata wants to join the army.
(c) Okubata has been thrown out fo the family home.
(d) Okubata is seeing five different women.
13. What is Miyoshi's occupation?
14. What does Sachiko learn about Okubata's behavior?
(a) He goes to bars with several women.
(b) He was seen drunk.
(c) He took things from the family store.
(d) He hosted Taeko.
15. Why does Taeko return to Ashiya precipitately?
(a) Itakura is ill.
(b) Itakura has an accident.
(c) Itakura wants her as a good luck charm for his surgery.
(d) Itakura's family wants to negotiate a wedding.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who transmits the letter from Sawazaki to Sachiko?
2. What does Sachiko think of Taeko seeing Okubata?
3. Who is at fault for Yukiko's not marrying according to Teinosuke?
4. Why is there tension between Taeko and Yukiko?
5. What does Okubata do during the recital?
This section contains 523 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)