|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What would have happened had Taeko been discovered at Okubata's?
(a) Taejo would have been forced to move away.
(b) They would have been forced to stop seeing each other.
(c) They would have been forced to marry.
(d) It would have been a smear on the family.
2. How old is Mr. Hashidera's daughter?
(b) 1 year old.
(c) 2 months old.
(d) School age.
3. Who is Mrs. Stoltz strict with?
(a) Her friends.
(b) Her husband.
(c) Her children.
(d) Her servant.
4. What does Sachiko think of the match between Yukiko and Sawazaki according to Book III, Chapters 7-12?
(a) She thinks Yukiko can do better.
(b) She is optimistic.
(c) She is excited.
(d) She is not optimistic.
5. What does Sachiko tell Yukiko about?
(a) The scene at the recital.
(b) The pictures Itakura took.
(d) Taeko's affairs.
6. Why does Sachiko admire Mr. Sloltz?
(a) Her fashion sense.
(b) Her beauty.
(c) Her strong will.
(d) Her careful housekeeping.
7. Why do Sachiko and Teinosuke go on a trip together in Book III, Chapters 25-30?
(a) To try to find a doctor for Taeko.
(b) To try to find a house
(c) It is their second honeymoon.
(d) To try to find a husband for Yukiko.
8. What is Mimaki from?
(a) A noble family.
(b) A sailor's family.
(c) A military family.
(d) A merchant's family.
9. What news does Taeko receive from Katherine?
(a) She settled in Germany.
(b) She made friend with a nobleman.
(c) She married a wealthy man.
(d) She made her way to America.
10. Why is Sachiko offended by the letter from Sawazaki?
(a) Sawazaki chooses to marry into a rival family.
(b) Sawazaki asks about marrying Taeko.
(c) Sawazaki writes that Yukiko is bland.
(d) It is the Makioka family that is rejected.
11. Where do the sisters and Mimaki meet for the first time?
12. Who introduces Saigusa to Yukiko?
(c) Mrs Itani.
13. Why is Sachiko angry at Yukiko?
(a) She refused to go walk with Hashidera.
(b) She went and met Hashidera without a chaperone.
(c) She invited Hashidera to the house.
(d) She said to Hashidera that she wanted to marry him.
14. How do Sachiko, Yukiko, Etsuko and Taeko go to see Sawazaki?
(a) By car.
(b) By bus.
(c) By boat.
(d) By train.
15. What does Taeko do when confronted by Yukiko?
(a) She cries.
(b) She argues that it is none of Yukiko's business.
(c) She listens to her without saying a word.
(d) She leaves in a rush.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Sawazaki from?
2. What do Sachiko, Yukiko, Etsuko and Taeko do the night they arrive at Mrs Sugano's?
3. Who joins Mrs. Itani in the quest to find Yukiko a husband in Book III, Chapters 13-18?
4. What does Sachiko think of the new neighbors?
5. Who is at fault for Yukiko's not marrying according to Teinosuke?
This section contains 482 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)