|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the local doctor tell Sachiko Taeko might have?
(b) Chiken pox.
(d) Scarlet fever.
2. How does Tainosuke explain to Hashidera why Yukiko never married?
(a) Through Mrs Itani.
(b) Face to face.
(c) During a long phone call.
(d) In a letter.
3. How old is Mr. Hashidera's daughter?
(a) School age.
(b) 2 months old.
(c) 1 year old.
4. What does Sachiko tell Yukiko about?
(a) The scene at the recital.
(b) Taeko's affairs.
(d) The pictures Itakura took.
5. Why do Sachiko, Yukiko, Etsuko and Taeko put on her fine clothes for the trip?
(a) They want to be noticed.
(b) They want to make a good impression to the main house.
(c) They think the trip will be short.
(d) They do not know when the meeting will be.
6. Where does Okubata get many of the gifts he gave Taeko?
(a) From the neigbor's house.
(b) From his brother.
(c) From his family's store.
(d) From his parents.
7. What does Sachiko learn from O-Haru?
(a) Okubata is seeing five different women.
(b) Okubata wants to join the army.
(c) Okubata is taking the place of head of his family.
(d) Okubata has been thrown out fo the family home.
8. Why is the main house organizing a ceremony?
(a) The new year.
(b) Sachiko's wedding anniversary.
(c) The anniversary of the death of the sisters' parents.
(d) The cherry blossoms.
9. What is Yukiko's chaperone not sure of?
(a) Yukiko's interest in getting married.
(b) Mr. Hashidera's daughter willingness to get a stepmother.
(c) Mr. Hashidera's interest in getting married.
(d) Mr. Hashibera financial situation.
10. Where do Taeko and Etsuko go while Sawazaki meets Yukiko?
(a) A local temple.
(b) A recital.
(c) A local landmark.
(d) A theater.
11. Why is Mrs. Itani selling her shop?
(a) She wants to start a sewing business.
(b) She wants to retire.
(c) She wants to go to America.
(d) She wants to go China.
12. Who joins Mrs. Itani in the quest to find Yukiko a husband in Book III, Chapters 13-18?
(a) Mrs. Sakiko.
(b) Mrs. Itoki.
(c) Mrs. Niu.
(d) Mrs. Kitano.
13. What does Okubata promise Sachiko?
(a) To stop trying to elope with Taeko.
(b) To pay for the hospital bill.
(c) To come visit Taeko.
(d) To stay away from Taeko.
14. What does Tsuruko say about Taeko and Okubata in the letter sent to Sachiko?
(a) That they must marry.
(b) That they cannot marry.
(c) That they must put in writting what their intensions are toward each other.
(d) That they must move away from Osaka.
15. Why is Tatsuo opposed to Taeko learning sewing?
(a) The pay is low.
(b) It would not be an asset in finding her a husband.
(c) It would be too costly.
(d) He doesn't want her to be a working woman.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sachiko think of Mr. Hashidera?
2. Who does Sachiko receive a gift from?
3. What doesn't Taeko come to the house while Teinosuke is home?
4. Where is Teinosuke during the recital in Book II, Chapters 28-35?
5. Where do the sisters and Mimaki meet for the first time?
This section contains 521 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)