|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is there tension between Taeko and Yukiko?
(a) Taeko cannot be an independant woman.
(b) Yukiko does not think Taeko's dolls are special.
(c) Taeko cannot marry before Yukiko.
(d) Yukiko does not want to marry.
2. Why does Sachiko admire Mr. Sloltz?
(a) Her beauty.
(b) Her strong will.
(c) Her fashion sense.
(d) Her careful housekeeping.
3. Why do Sachiko, Etsuko and Taeko part ways with Yukiko on their trip back to Osaka?
(a) Yukiko is going to a hospital.
(b) Yukiko is going to see another matchmaker.
(c) Yukiko is going to visit their parent's grave.
(d) Yukiko is going back to Tokyo.
4. What would have happened had Taeko been discovered at Okubata's?
(a) They would have been forced to marry.
(b) Taejo would have been forced to move away.
(c) It would have been a smear on the family.
(d) They would have been forced to stop seeing each other.
5. What does the local doctor tell Sachiko Taeko might have?
(a) Chiken pox.
(d) Scarlet fever.
6. What is Yukiko's chaperone not sure of?
(a) Yukiko's interest in getting married.
(b) Mr. Hashidera's interest in getting married.
(c) Mr. Hashidera's daughter willingness to get a stepmother.
(d) Mr. Hashibera financial situation.
7. Why is Tatsuo opposed to Taeko learning sewing?
(a) He doesn't want her to be a working woman.
(b) It would be too costly.
(c) The pay is low.
(d) It would not be an asset in finding her a husband.
8. What does Taeko do when confronted by Yukiko?
(a) She leaves in a rush.
(b) She argues that it is none of Yukiko's business.
(c) She listens to her without saying a word.
(d) She cries.
9. Where is Katherine leaving for?
10. What surgery does Itakura have?
(a) Back surgery.
(b) Arm surgery.
(c) Leg surgery.
(d) Ear surgery.
11. What does Tsuruko say about Taeko and Okubata in the letter sent to Sachiko?
(a) That they must move away from Osaka.
(b) That they cannot marry.
(c) That they must marry.
(d) That they must put in writting what their intensions are toward each other.
12. What does Sachiko think of Taeko seeing Okubata?
(a) She wishes Taeko would see how bad Okubata is.
(b) She still hopes they will marry.
(c) She hopes they will break up.
(d) She hopes they will elope.
13. What do Sachiko, Yukiko, Etsuko and Taeko do the night they arrive at Mrs Sugano's?
(a) Go firefly hunting.
(b) Go to a theater.
(c) Go to a recital.
(d) Go to dinner on the coast.
14. Why is the main house organizing a ceremony?
(a) The new year.
(b) Sachiko's wedding anniversary.
(c) The anniversary of the death of the sisters' parents.
(d) The cherry blossoms.
15. What happens that Sachiko see as a bad omen?
(a) The bus breaks down.
(b) The car breaks down.
(c) The boat runs ashore.
(d) The train breaks down.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sachiko ask Teinosuke to approach the main house about?
2. Where is Okubata considering going?
3. What is Miyoshi's occupation?
4. Who is Mrs. Sugano according to Book III, Chapters 1-6?
5. How does Tainosuke explain to Hashidera why Yukiko never married?
This section contains 526 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)