|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who introduces Saigusa to Yukiko?
(b) Mrs Itani.
2. What is Mr. Hashidera's profession?
3. Who is Mrs. Stoltz strict with?
(a) Her servant.
(b) Her friends.
(c) Her husband.
(d) Her children.
4. How does Yukiko treat Okubata when he comes to visit Taeko?
(b) With a laugh.
(c) With care.
5. Who joins Mrs. Itani in the quest to find Yukiko a husband in Book III, Chapters 13-18?
(a) Mrs. Kitano.
(b) Mrs. Itoki.
(c) Mrs. Niu.
(d) Mrs. Sakiko.
6. Why is the family concerned about the two unwed sisters?
(a) They are proof that something is wrong with them.
(b) They cannot participate in the celebration as single women.
(c) Suitors could crash the celebrations.
(d) They are proof the family failed to find them husbands.
7. Why is Mrs. Itani selling her shop?
(a) She wants to start a sewing business.
(b) She wants to go to America.
(c) She wants to retire.
(d) She wants to go China.
8. Why is there tension between Taeko and Yukiko?
(a) Yukiko does not think Taeko's dolls are special.
(b) Yukiko does not want to marry.
(c) Taeko cannot marry before Yukiko.
(d) Taeko cannot be an independant woman.
9. How does Tainosuke explain to Hashidera why Yukiko never married?
(a) In a letter.
(b) During a long phone call.
(c) Through Mrs Itani.
(d) Face to face.
10. Why does Taeko return to Ashiya precipitately?
(a) Itakura has an accident.
(b) Itakura is ill.
(c) Itakura wants her as a good luck charm for his surgery.
(d) Itakura's family wants to negotiate a wedding.
11. Why is Sachiko offended by the letter from Sawazaki?
(a) Sawazaki asks about marrying Taeko.
(b) Sawazaki chooses to marry into a rival family.
(c) Sawazaki writes that Yukiko is bland.
(d) It is the Makioka family that is rejected.
12. What disease is Taeko suspected of having in Book III, Chapters 19-24?
(b) Scarlet fever.
(c) Chiken pox.
13. Who does Rosemary spend her last night in Japan with?
(a) Her mother.
(d) Her best friend Roseanne.
14. Who does Sachiko write a letter to reporting on Taeko?
15. Where do Taeko and Etsuko go while Sawazaki meets Yukiko?
(a) A recital.
(b) A local temple.
(c) A local landmark.
(d) A theater.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sachiko think of the match between Yukiko and Sawazaki according to Book III, Chapters 7-12?
2. What does Sachiko think of Mr. Hashidera?
3. Why does Sachiko admire Mr. Sloltz?
4. Why is the main house organizing a ceremony?
5. How many mistresses does Okubata have?
This section contains 444 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)