|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Sachiko angry at Yukiko?
(a) She refused to go walk with Hashidera.
(b) She said to Hashidera that she wanted to marry him.
(c) She went and met Hashidera without a chaperone.
(d) She invited Hashidera to the house.
2. What becomes more frequent after the war with China escalates?
(c) Metal recycling drives.
3. Why is Sachiko offended by the letter from Sawazaki?
(a) Sawazaki asks about marrying Taeko.
(b) Sawazaki chooses to marry into a rival family.
(c) It is the Makioka family that is rejected.
(d) Sawazaki writes that Yukiko is bland.
4. How does Yukiko treat Okubata when he comes to visit Taeko?
(a) With a laugh.
(b) With care.
5. What is Mimaki from?
(a) A merchant's family.
(b) A military family.
(c) A noble family.
(d) A sailor's family.
6. Where do Taeko and Etsuko go while Sawazaki meets Yukiko?
(a) A theater.
(b) A recital.
(c) A local landmark.
(d) A local temple.
7. Where is Katherine leaving for?
8. How does Tainosuke explain to Hashidera why Yukiko never married?
(a) During a long phone call.
(b) Face to face.
(c) In a letter.
(d) Through Mrs Itani.
9. Who is Mrs. Sugano according to Book III, Chapters 1-6?
(a) Tatsuo's aunt.
(b) Tatsuo's mother.
(c) Tatsuo's sister.
(d) Tatsuo's hairdresser.
10. Who does Sachiko receive a gift from?
(a) Her neighbor.
(d) Mrs. Stoltz.
11. Where do the sisters and Mimaki meet for the first time?
12. Who risked his life to save Taeko during the flood?
13. What happens that Sachiko see as a bad omen?
(a) The train breaks down.
(b) The car breaks down.
(c) The bus breaks down.
(d) The boat runs ashore.
14. What does Sachiko learn about Okubata's behavior?
(a) He took things from the family store.
(b) He goes to bars with several women.
(c) He hosted Taeko.
(d) He was seen drunk.
15. Where is Taeko resting while sick?
(a) At Sachiko.
(b) At Itekuba.
(c) At Okubata's.
(d) At the main house.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Sachiko admire Mr. Sloltz?
2. Who transmits the letter from Sawazaki to Sachiko?
3. Why does Taeko ask for money from Tatsuo and Tsuruko?
4. What is Mr. Hashidera's profession?
5. Where does Okubata get many of the gifts he gave Taeko?
This section contains 396 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)