|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What strikes Tokyo on September 1?
(a) A earthquake.
(b) A flood.
(c) A tsunami.
(d) A typhoon.
2. What is not a crucial objection about Nomura?
(a) He is not as old as the main house would like.
(b) He is not as well connected the main house would like.
(c) He is not as rich as the main house would like.
(d) He is older than the main house would like.
3. What declines during the 1930s?
(a) The Japanese influence.
(b) The Japanese economy.
(c) The Makioka's influence on the Emperor.
(d) The Makioka fortune.
4. Who does Taeko go with after the cancellation of her class?
(a) One of her schoolmates.
(b) Her teacher.
5. What does Sachiko ask Yukiko in the car on their way home?
(a) What Segoshi told her.
(b) What she thinks of Segoshi.
(c) If she wants to take her time before marrying Segoshi.
(d) If she wants to meet another man.
6. Who saves Taeko?
7. Who is the oldest sister?
8. What is said of Tsuruko's house?
(a) It has better plumbing than older houses.
(b) It is nicer than older houses.
(c) It is better built than older houses.
(d) It is not as well made as older houses.
9. Who did the newspaper report as trying to elope?
10. Why does Sachiko not want to urge Yukiko about a new suitor?
(a) She wants Yukiko to be sure she wants to marry.
(b) She wants to make sure the man is honest before telling Yukiko about him.
(c) She wants to find someone for Taeko first.
(d) The breakdown of negotiations is still recent.
11. How old is Taeko?
12. How many sisters form the Makioka family according to Book I, Chapters 1-9?
13. How many people live in the main house?
14. What do Taeko, Sachiko and Teinosuke think considering the strange circumstances at the dinner party?
(a) That they did not follow proper protocol.
(b) That they came the wrong day.
(c) That they are not welcome.
(d) That their friendship is over.
15. What does Sachiko's illness culminate in?
(a) Her spending a month in bed.
(b) Her being admitted to a hospital.
(c) A miscarriage.
(d) Her being put in quarantine.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Taeko plan on doing according to Book II, Chapter 1?
2. How does Sachiko's party go to Tokyo?
3. What do Sachiko, Teinosuke, Etsuko and O-Haru write to Yukiko?
4. Why does the main house stay in the small house in Tokyo?
5. Who does Sachiko receive a letter from in Book I, Chapters 23-29?
This section contains 456 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)