|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who sends a letter to Sachiko at the inn?
2. What do Taeko, Sachiko and Teinosuke think during the dinner?
(a) That the food is too cooked.
(b) That the house is too small.
(c) That the portions of food are too large.
(d) That the hosts talk too much.
3. Who has final say in the decision to marry Yukiko to Segoshi?
(a) The main house.
4. Why does Sachiko not want to urge Yukiko about a new suitor?
(a) She wants Yukiko to be sure she wants to marry.
(b) The breakdown of negotiations is still recent.
(c) She wants to find someone for Taeko first.
(d) She wants to make sure the man is honest before telling Yukiko about him.
5. Who took over the Makioka family business at the death of the patriarch?
6. What do Taeko, Sachiko and Teinosuke think considering the strange circumstances at the dinner party?
(a) That they came the wrong day.
(b) That they are not welcome.
(c) That they did not follow proper protocol.
(d) That their friendship is over.
7. How old was Taeko when she tried to elope?
8. What does Mrs. Stoltz tell Yukiko?
(a) That they are moving to Tokyo.
(b) That Mr Stoltz wants to leave her.
(c) That Taeko wants to move with them.
(d) That they are leaving Japan.
9. What does Taeko plan on giving up according to Book II, Chapters 1-5?
(a) Her wedding plans.
(c) Doll making.
10. Who does Taeko go with after the cancellation of her class?
(a) One of her schoolmates.
(d) Her teacher.
11. What does Teinosuke notice on Sachiko?
(a) A bruse.
(b) Yellow eyes.
(c) A bandage on her leg.
(d) A rash.
12. How does Sachiko's party go to Tokyo?
(a) By car.
(b) By plane.
(c) By bus.
(d) By train.
13. What worries Sachiko even more after Mr. Stoltz returns?
(a) Mr. Stoltz tells her about seeing flotting body.
(b) The phones are down.
(c) The description of the flood.
(d) Mr. Stoltz tells her about seeing Teinosuke almost drowning.
14. What does Sachiko do after the storm?
(a) Go to an inn.
(b) Returns to Osaka.
(c) He cries.
(d) Helps with the moving of the main house.
15. What does Sachiko receive in the mail from a former classmate?
(a) A picture of a man named Nomura.
(b) A letter asking for help.
(c) A picture of the two of them.
(d) A ring.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is said of Tsuruko's house?
2. Who does Sachiko take to Tokyo beside Yukiko and Etsuko according to Book II, Chapters 14-20?
3. What classes does Taeko take?
4. What does Sachiko's illness culminate in?
5. Why does Tatsuo reject Segoshi as a candidate for Yukiko?
This section contains 497 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)