|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Sachiko receive a letter from in Book I, Chapters 23-29?
(d) Mrs Itani.
2. How many sisters form the Makioka family according to Book I, Chapters 1-9?
3. What does Sachiko decide while looking at the picture?
(a) She will let Taeko go to Paris.
(b) She will let Taeko move to Germany.
(c) She will let Taeko elope with Itakura.
(d) She will let Yukiko marry Sasigoe.
4. Who saves Taeko?
5. What does the man who took over the family business do in order to insure the continuity of the business?
(a) Takes the name Makioka.
(b) Buys the business.
(c) Marries Itsuko.
(d) Sells shares to family members.
6. Why does the main house stay in the small house in Tokyo?
(a) Thei neighboor is an influencial man.
(b) It is inexpensive.
(c) It is in a nice neighborhood.
(d) It is solidly built.
7. What does Sachiko receive in the mail from a former classmate?
(a) A picture of a man named Nomura.
(b) A ring.
(c) A letter asking for help.
(d) A picture of the two of them.
8. Who takes the initiative to ask for a neighbor's help as the house shows sign of weakness?
9. What blocks Teinosuke on his way to getting Taeko?
(a) A but.
(b) A train.
(c) Afishing boat.
(d) A car.
10. What is Itakura's occupation?
11. Who contacts Sachiko about Nomura?
(a) Mrs. Itani.
(d) Mrs. Jimba.
12. What does Yukiko sometimes do in the main house?
(a) Argues with her sister.
(b) Cleans in place of her sister.
(c) Goes alone to her room and cries.
(d) Brings male friends.
13. What does Sachiko ask Yukiko in the car on their way home?
(a) What she thinks of Segoshi.
(b) If she wants to meet another man.
(c) What Segoshi told her.
(d) If she wants to take her time before marrying Segoshi.
14. Why are Sachiko, Taeko, Yukiko and Etsuko stopped and asked to be photographed?
(a) They are four beautigful women traveling alone.
(b) They wear traditional Japanese dresses.
(c) They are the only women on the train.
(d) They wear western clothes.
15. Why is Tatsuo slow to give an answer on the marriage?
(a) An investigation must be conducted.
(b) He wants to think about it.
(c) He is busy dealing with a contract.
(d) The mail is slow to reach him.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Tatsuo reject Segoshi as a candidate for Yukiko?
2. Who sends a letter to Sachiko at the inn?
3. What does Sachiko notice as Taeko comes back?
4. How old was Taeko when she tried to elope?
5. Who is Segoshi according to Book I, Chapters 10-16?
This section contains 462 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)