|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is one of Kitty's sons?
2. Where has Sabine been sleeping the last few nights?
3. What is Sabine's decision about visiting with the Fetterses?
4. Why is Kitty's husband annoyed when he arrives at the Fetters house?
5. Bertie is the only one in the Fetters family who has never _______________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Kitty returning home for awhile and how do Dot and Sabine view this differently?
2. Who are Kitty's sons and what do they find fascinating about Sabine?
3. How does Sabine come to realize that Parsifal had had a hard life long before she met him?
4. How is Parsifal's true past so different from the one Sabine had always envisioned?
5. Why does Dot think that her expectation that Guy would come home cause her to lose him forever?
6. What is so unique about Sabine's trip to Wal-Mart?
7. What does Sabine finally see in the Tonight Show performance?
8. What does Sabine tell her parents about her visit with the Fetters family so far?
9. How does the kiss from Kitty give Sabine some satisfaction over Howard and his threatening behavior?
10. Why does Dot think that she handled the situation with Guy so poorly?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the significance of the book's title? What are some other possible titles for the book. List at least five and cite your reasons for each.
Essay Topic 2
Does Patchett end the story on a note of hope for Sabine or the continuance of her struggle to come to terms with the loss of Parsifal in her life? Give your perspective and two reasons to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Create a character study of Dot. What are her physical characteristics? What are her motivations? What are her fears? What are her dreams? What else can you say about Dot?
This section contains 964 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)