|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What town in Nebraska does the Fetters family live in?
2. In Sabine's dream, what is Phan's profession?
3. What is Sabine's decision about visiting with the Fetterses?
4. Dot talks Sabine out of going to ____________________.
5. Who does Sabine call to tell that she had arrived safely in Nebraska?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Kitty returning home for awhile and how do Dot and Sabine view this differently?
2. How does Bertie and Haas' behavior at the hospital remind Sabine of Parsifal and Phan?
3. How do the stories about Albert Fetters make Sabine realize that Parsifal did what he had to do in order to survive?
4. What is Sabine's dream as she naps with Kitty?
5. What are the circumstances in which Kitty kisses Sabine?
6. How does Sabine come to realize that Parsifal had had a hard life long before she met him?
7. Why does Kitty fear that Sabine will never want to visit the Fetters family again?
8. What makes Sabine wonder if the people she loved put on brave faces for her?
9. What makes Sabine think about her father when Kitty speaks to her about her own boys?
10. What news does Sabine tell the Fetters family that upsets them?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Denial seems to be almost an unnamed character in the book. How pervasive is the sense of denial? Why does it have such a prevalent place in the lives of the characters? Explain how an inanimate object or characteristic can be a character.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Parsifal and Howard. Both men have been a big part of Kitty's life but have their hold on her in very different ways. Why are their differences classic examples of conflict in drama? What other similarities and dissimilarities are there between the two characters?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the role of the family in THE MAGICIAN'S ASSISTANT. What does it mean for each of the main characters? How does the family evolve in its support of each other? How typical is this family to most families living during the late 20th century? How does the triangular relationship between Parsifal, Phan and Sabine consist of a family of sorts?
This section contains 1,089 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)