|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sabine decide to make for Kitty's boys?
2. Who had locked Parsifal in the item in #117?
3. Where does Dot take Sabine after Bertie receives medical treatment?
4. What does Sabine purchase at the store in #112?
5. Sabine equates Wal-Mart to ___________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Sabine finally see in the Tonight Show performance?
2. Why does Kitty fear that Sabine will never want to visit the Fetters family again?
3. How does Sabine finally understand why Parsifal had to escape his past?
4. How are Sabine's memories of the Tonight Show performance different from how the Fetters family views it?
5. How do Sabine's views of the world differ from Dot's perspective?
6. Why does Sabine realize a newfound respect for Howard?
7. What news does Sabine tell the Fetters family that upsets them?
8. What is so unique about Sabine's trip to Wal-Mart?
9. What is the result of Howard's feeling foolish during the magic trick?
10. Why does Dot think that her expectation that Guy would come home cause her to lose him forever?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a character study of Kitty. What are her physical characteristics? What are her motivations? What are her fears? What are her dreams? What else can you say about Kitty?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the role of the family in THE MAGICIAN'S ASSISTANT. What does it mean for each of the main characters? How does the family evolve in its support of each other? How typical is this family to most families living during the late 20th century? How does the triangular relationship between Parsifal, Phan and Sabine consist of a family of sorts?
Essay Topic 3
THE MAGICIAN'S ASSISTANT is a classic story of loss and renewal. What does that classification entail? Why does this novel fit into this category? Explain.
This section contains 980 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)