|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Sabine choose to help her in a trick?
2. Dot tells Sabine that no matter where you go, __________________________.
3. What is Sabine's decision about visiting with the Fetterses?
4. Who had invited Sabine to dinner after their appearance on The Tonight Show?
5. In what way are Kitty and her mother alike?
Short Essay Questions
1. What makes Sabine wonder if the people she loved put on brave faces for her?
2. What does Sabine discover when she explores Parsifal's childhood room?
3. What does Sabine finally see in the Tonight Show performance?
4. What is Sabine's dream as she naps with Kitty?
5. What does Sabine wonder about the residents of Alliance as they drive Bertie to the emergency room?
6. Why does Dot think that she handled the situation with Guy so poorly?
7. Why does Dot take Sabine to the top of a knoll?
8. Why does Dot think that her expectation that Guy would come home cause her to lose him forever?
9. Why does Kitty fear that Sabine will never want to visit the Fetters family again?
10. What news does Sabine tell the Fetters family that upsets them?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Parsifal and Howard. Both men have been a big part of Kitty's life but have their hold on her in very different ways. Why are their differences classic examples of conflict in drama? What other similarities and dissimilarities are there between the two characters?
Essay Topic 2
The author uses several instances of foreshadowing in the story. Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an instance of foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 3
Denial seems to be almost an unnamed character in the book. How pervasive is the sense of denial? Why does it have such a prevalent place in the lives of the characters? Explain how an inanimate object or characteristic can be a character.
This section contains 994 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)