|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Kitty tell Dot when she stops in one day?
2. Who tells Howard to stay away from Bertie from now on?
3. What does Sabine do to Kitty the next morning?
4. How does Dot feel about how she handled the family situation after her husband was killed?
5. What had Dot always expected would happen in her life?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the circumstances in which Kitty kisses Sabine?
2. What is Sabine's dream as she naps with Kitty?
3. Why is Kitty returning home for awhile and how do Dot and Sabine view this differently?
4. What does Sabine discover when she explores Parsifal's childhood room?
5. Who is Howard Plate and what can be assumed by his behavior?
6. How are Sabine's memories of the Tonight Show performance different from how the Fetters family views it?
7. What does Sabine finally see in the Tonight Show performance?
8. How does Sabine finally understand why Parsifal had to escape his past?
9. What does Sabine tell her parents about her visit with the Fetters family so far?
10. Why does Dot think that her expectation that Guy would come home cause her to lose him forever?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Project into the future ten years after the end of the novel and write a brief synopsis for Sabine's life. Will magic be a powerful presence in her life? What is her relationship with the Fetters family? Did she develop a relationship with Kitty? Explain your ideas.
Essay Topic 2
Create a character study of Sabine. What are her physical characteristics? What are her motivations? What are her fears? What are her dreams? What else can you say about Sabine?
Essay Topic 3
The search for love is an important theme in THE MAGICIAN'S ASSISTANT. Can you cite an example to support this theme? Name two other themes and cite examples to support your answer.
This section contains 1,008 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)