|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Sabine mildly surprised to find in Parsifal's room?
2. Sabine realizes that Howard had been a ____________ in high school.
3. Kitty tells Sabine that Parsifal had once been locked in ___________________.
4. What medical treatment does Bertie require?
5. What does Sabine wonder about her parents?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Howard Plate and what can be assumed by his behavior?
2. How do the stories about Albert Fetters make Sabine realize that Parsifal did what he had to do in order to survive?
3. Why does Dot take Sabine to the top of a knoll?
4. How does the kiss from Kitty give Sabine some satisfaction over Howard and his threatening behavior?
5. What does Sabine tell her parents about her visit with the Fetters family so far?
6. What is Sabine's dream as she naps with Kitty?
7. What does Sabine make of the kiss from Kitty?
8. What is so unique about Sabine's trip to Wal-Mart?
9. How are Sabine's memories of the Tonight Show performance different from how the Fetters family views it?
10. Why does Dot think that her expectation that Guy would come home cause her to lose him forever?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the role of the women in the novel, specifically, how did Dot's life differ from that of Sabine's in the next generation? In what ways is Dot's life mirrored in Kitty's life? What roles do family, culture and experiences play in forming a woman's character and life story?
Essay Topic 2
The author uses several instances of foreshadowing in the story. Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an instance of foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 3
Create a character study of Sabine. What are her physical characteristics? What are her motivations? What are her fears? What are her dreams? What else can you say about Sabine?
This section contains 979 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)