|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Bertie is the only one in the Fetters family who has never _______________.
2. How can Kitty's husband best be described?
3. What does Sabine understand about Parsifal now?
4. What does Sabine purchase at the store in #112?
5. Who meets with Sabine in the kitchen the next morning?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Sabine come to realize that Parsifal had had a hard life long before she met him?
2. How are Sabine's memories of the Tonight Show performance different from how the Fetters family views it?
3. What does Sabine wonder about the residents of Alliance as they drive Bertie to the emergency room?
4. Why does Dot think that her expectation that Guy would come home cause her to lose him forever?
5. What makes Sabine wonder if the people she loved put on brave faces for her?
6. What does Sabine make of the kiss from Kitty?
7. Why does Kitty fear that Sabine will never want to visit the Fetters family again?
8. What does Sabine discover when she explores Parsifal's childhood room?
9. What does Sabine finally see in the Tonight Show performance?
10. What is so unique about Sabine's trip to Wal-Mart?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The search for love is an important theme in THE MAGICIAN'S ASSISTANT. Can you cite an example to support this theme? Name two other themes and cite examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Denial seems to be almost an unnamed character in the book. How pervasive is the sense of denial? Why does it have such a prevalent place in the lives of the characters? Explain how an inanimate object or characteristic can be a character.
Essay Topic 3
Create a character study of Dot. What are her physical characteristics? What are her motivations? What are her fears? What are her dreams? What else can you say about Dot?
This section contains 1,043 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)