|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Howard do when he realizes he has been fooled in the magic trick?
2. Each night the Fetters watch a tape of which television program?
3. Why does Kitty think Sabine will never want to see the family again?
4. In what way are Kitty and her mother alike?
5. What does Sabine do to Kitty the next morning?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Sabine finally see in the Tonight Show performance?
2. What does Sabine discover when she explores Parsifal's childhood room?
3. Who are Kitty's sons and what do they find fascinating about Sabine?
4. Why does Dot take Sabine to the top of a knoll?
5. How are Sabine's memories of the Tonight Show performance different from how the Fetters family views it?
6. How do the stories about Albert Fetters make Sabine realize that Parsifal did what he had to do in order to survive?
7. Why is Kitty returning home for awhile and how do Dot and Sabine view this differently?
8. What does Sabine wonder about the residents of Alliance as they drive Bertie to the emergency room?
9. What makes Sabine wonder if the people she loved put on brave faces for her?
10. How do Sabine's views of the world differ from Dot's perspective?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Project into the future ten years after the end of the novel and write a brief synopsis for Sabine's life. Will magic be a powerful presence in her life? What is her relationship with the Fetters family? Did she develop a relationship with Kitty? Explain your ideas.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the ongoing conflict between Howard and the rest of the Fetters family. What are the main sources of the conflicts? Why does it perpetuate? Why does Howard feel a special conflict with Sabine?
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of living in denial. Identify at least two characters who either embody or experience living in denial and then cite an example to support your answers.
This section contains 1,080 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)