|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sabine realize about Alliance, Nebraska?
2. What is shocking about the visit from the person in #161?
3. Who comes to see Sabine as she tries to fall asleep?
4. What does Sabine do to Kitty the next morning?
5. What does Dot do when Kitty and her family go home?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Sabine's views of the world differ from Dot's perspective?
2. What does Sabine tell her parents about her visit with the Fetters family so far?
3. What makes Sabine think about her father when Kitty speaks to her about her own boys?
4. What does Sabine make of the kiss from Kitty?
5. How does Sabine come to realize that Parsifal had had a hard life long before she met him?
6. Who are Kitty's sons and what do they find fascinating about Sabine?
7. Who is Howard Plate and what can be assumed by his behavior?
8. Why does Kitty fear that Sabine will never want to visit the Fetters family again?
9. What makes Sabine wonder if the people she loved put on brave faces for her?
10. Why does Dot take Sabine to the top of a knoll?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a character study of Sabine. What are her physical characteristics? What are her motivations? What are her fears? What are her dreams? What else can you say about Sabine?
Essay Topic 2
Patchett is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphors, and irony, briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
Essay Topic 3
What are the two major settings for the novel? Be sure to include geography, time period and any pertinent popular culture events. Why did Patchett choose to use these places in the novel?
This section contains 1,050 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)