|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who meets with Sabine in the kitchen the next morning?
2. Who is Kitty's other son?
3. Where does Dot go after talking to Sabine?
4. What does Sabine think of her father?
5. Where does the family take Bertie after her injury?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Sabine make of the kiss from Kitty?
2. What does Sabine finally see in the Tonight Show performance?
3. What are the circumstances in which Kitty kisses Sabine?
4. What makes Sabine wonder if the people she loved put on brave faces for her?
5. Why does Dot take Sabine to the top of a knoll?
6. How does Sabine finally understand why Parsifal had to escape his past?
7. How does Sabine come to realize that Parsifal had had a hard life long before she met him?
8. What is the result of Howard's feeling foolish during the magic trick?
9. What does Sabine tell her parents about her visit with the Fetters family so far?
10. What is Sabine's dream as she naps with Kitty?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The search for love is an important theme in THE MAGICIAN'S ASSISTANT. Can you cite an example to support this theme? Name two other themes and cite examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the role of the women in the novel, specifically, how did Dot's life differ from that of Sabine's in the next generation? In what ways is Dot's life mirrored in Kitty's life? What roles do family, culture and experiences play in forming a woman's character and life story?
Essay Topic 3
Create a character study of Sabine. What are her physical characteristics? What are her motivations? What are her fears? What are her dreams? What else can you say about Sabine?
This section contains 973 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)