|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Kitty take Sabine that Sabine has never been before?
2. What does Sabine purchase at the store in #112?
3. Who is injured by falling against the wall?
4. What item has caused Bertie's injury?
5. What does Dot do to help Sabine pass some time?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Parsifal's true past so different from the one Sabine had always envisioned?
2. Why is Kitty returning home for awhile and how do Dot and Sabine view this differently?
3. Why does Dot take Sabine to the top of a knoll?
4. How do the stories about Albert Fetters make Sabine realize that Parsifal did what he had to do in order to survive?
5. How does the kiss from Kitty give Sabine some satisfaction over Howard and his threatening behavior?
6. What does Sabine discover when she explores Parsifal's childhood room?
7. Why does Dot think that she handled the situation with Guy so poorly?
8. What are the circumstances in which Kitty kisses Sabine?
9. What makes Sabine think about her father when Kitty speaks to her about her own boys?
10. What is Sabine's dream as she naps with Kitty?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Dot is baffled that Sabine would have married Parsifal who was a gay man. Why would Sabine commit to marrying Parsifal if he could not return her love in all ways possible? Why would she choose to share her husband with another man? Explain Sabine's complicated love.
Essay Topic 2
Denial seems to be almost an unnamed character in the book. How pervasive is the sense of denial? Why does it have such a prevalent place in the lives of the characters? Explain how an inanimate object or characteristic can be a character.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of living in denial. Identify at least two characters who either embody or experience living in denial and then cite an example to support your answers.
This section contains 976 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)