|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sabine show the boys before they go to school?
2. Who does Sabine call to tell that she had arrived safely in Nebraska?
3. What is Sabine's decision about visiting with the Fetterses?
4. Why is Kitty's husband annoyed when he arrives at the Fetters house?
5. In what way are Kitty and her mother alike?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the kiss from Kitty give Sabine some satisfaction over Howard and his threatening behavior?
2. What does Sabine make of the kiss from Kitty?
3. What does Sabine discover when she explores Parsifal's childhood room?
4. What does Sabine tell her parents about her visit with the Fetters family so far?
5. Why is Kitty returning home for awhile and how do Dot and Sabine view this differently?
6. Why does Dot think that she handled the situation with Guy so poorly?
7. Why does Dot take Sabine to the top of a knoll?
8. How does Sabine come to realize that Parsifal had had a hard life long before she met him?
9. Why does Sabine realize a newfound respect for Howard?
10. What does Sabine finally see in the Tonight Show performance?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are the two major settings for the novel? Be sure to include geography, time period and any pertinent popular culture events. Why did Patchett choose to use these places in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Project into the future ten years after the end of the novel and write a brief synopsis for Sabine's life. Will magic be a powerful presence in her life? What is her relationship with the Fetters family? Did she develop a relationship with Kitty? Explain your ideas.
Essay Topic 3
THE MAGICIAN'S ASSISTANT is a classic story of loss and renewal. What does that classification entail? Why does this novel fit into this category? Explain.
This section contains 1,011 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)