|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Sabine decide to stay in Alliance a little while longer?
2. Sabine realizes that Howard had been a ____________ in high school.
3. What does the person in #85 think Sabine will want to do today?
4. What project does the family watch Sabine do?
5. What does Sabine do as Howard sits across the street from the house all day?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Dot take Sabine to the top of a knoll?
2. What is so unique about Sabine's trip to Wal-Mart?
3. Why does Kitty fear that Sabine will never want to visit the Fetters family again?
4. How do the stories about Albert Fetters make Sabine realize that Parsifal did what he had to do in order to survive?
5. How does Sabine finally understand why Parsifal had to escape his past?
6. How does Sabine come to realize that Parsifal had had a hard life long before she met him?
7. How are Sabine's memories of the Tonight Show performance different from how the Fetters family views it?
8. What does Sabine make of the kiss from Kitty?
9. How do Sabine's views of the world differ from Dot's perspective?
10. Why is Kitty returning home for awhile and how do Dot and Sabine view this differently?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Parsifal and Howard. Both men have been a big part of Kitty's life but have their hold on her in very different ways. Why are their differences classic examples of conflict in drama? What other similarities and dissimilarities are there between the two characters?
Essay Topic 2
Does Patchett end the story on a note of hope for Sabine or the continuance of her struggle to come to terms with the loss of Parsifal in her life? Give your perspective and two reasons to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the role of the women in the novel, specifically, how did Dot's life differ from that of Sabine's in the next generation? In what ways is Dot's life mirrored in Kitty's life? What roles do family, culture and experiences play in forming a woman's character and life story?
This section contains 1,120 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)