|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who meets with Sabine in the kitchen the next morning?
2. What does Sabine do to Kitty the next morning?
3. Why does Kitty think Sabine will never want to see the family again?
4. What item has caused Bertie's injury?
5. Why can Sabine not tell her nephews how the magic trick was done?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Sabine make of the kiss from Kitty?
2. Why does Dot take Sabine to the top of a knoll?
3. What is so unique about Sabine's trip to Wal-Mart?
4. Who is Howard Plate and what can be assumed by his behavior?
5. How does Bertie and Haas' behavior at the hospital remind Sabine of Parsifal and Phan?
6. How are Sabine's memories of the Tonight Show performance different from how the Fetters family views it?
7. What is the result of Howard's feeling foolish during the magic trick?
8. What news does Sabine tell the Fetters family that upsets them?
9. How does Sabine come to realize that Parsifal had had a hard life long before she met him?
10. What are the circumstances in which Kitty kisses Sabine?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses several instances of foreshadowing in the story. Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an instance of foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of living in denial. Identify at least two characters who either embody or experience living in denial and then cite an example to support your answers.
Essay Topic 3
Project into the future ten years after the end of the novel and write a brief synopsis for Sabine's life. Will magic be a powerful presence in her life? What is her relationship with the Fetters family? Did she develop a relationship with Kitty? Explain your ideas.
This section contains 1,014 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)