|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sabine do when she hears about the crime Parsifal committed?
2. Who does Dot talk to at Persifal's grave?
3. What message does Sabine get out of the dream she has?
4. Why does Sabine feel guilty regarding Kitty?
5. Where does Sabine take the Fetters when they arrive?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Sabine philosophize her life versus the one Parsifal had?
2. Describe Dot's visit at the cemetery.
3. What does Phan's dream visit mean for Sabine?
4. What had Parsifal always told Sabine about his family?
5. What shocking information does Sabine receive from Parsifal's attorney, Roger?
6. What does Sabine think of the cemetery where Parsifal and Phan are buried?
7. What does Dot's invitation to Sabine foreshadow for the story?
8. Why does Sabine make the decision to visit the Fetters family?
9. What card trick does Parsifal show Sabine in a dream?
10. How does Sabine finally understand why Parsifal had to escape his past?
Essay Topic 1
THE MAGICIAN'S ASSISTANT is a classic story of loss and renewal. What does that classification entail? Why does this novel fit into this category? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Patchett is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphors, and irony, briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
Essay Topic 3
What are the two major settings for the novel? Be sure to include geography, time period and any pertinent popular culture events. Why did Patchett choose to use these places in the novel?
This section contains 1,622 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)