|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sabine do when she hears about the crime Parsifal committed?
2. Who does Dot talk to at Persifal's grave?
3. What message does Sabine get out of the dream she has?
4. Why does Sabine feel guilty regarding Kitty?
5. Where does Sabine take the Fetters when they arrive?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Sabine philosophize her life versus the one Parsifal had?
2. Describe Dot's visit at the cemetery.
3. What does Phan's dream visit mean for Sabine?
4. What had Parsifal always told Sabine about his family?
5. What shocking information does Sabine receive from Parsifal's attorney, Roger?
6. What does Sabine think of the cemetery where Parsifal and Phan are buried?
7. What does Dot's invitation to Sabine foreshadow for the story?
8. Why does Sabine make the decision to visit the Fetters family?
9. What card trick does Parsifal show Sabine in a dream?
10. How does Sabine finally understand why Parsifal had to escape his past?
Essay Topic 1
Dot is baffled that Sabine would have married Parsifal who was a gay man. Why would Sabine commit to marrying Parsifal if he could not return her love in all ways possible? Why would she choose to share her husband with another man? Explain Sabine's complicated love.
Essay Topic 2
Project into the future ten years after the end of the novel and write a brief synopsis for Sabine's life. Will magic be a powerful presence in her life? What is her relationship with the Fetters family? Did she develop a relationship with Kitty? Explain your ideas.
Essay Topic 3
Does Patchett end the story on a note of hope for Sabine or the continuance of her struggle to come to terms with the loss of Parsifal in her life? Give your perspective and two reasons to support your answer.
This section contains 1,622 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)