Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sabine do when she hears about the crime Parsifal committed?
2. Who does Dot talk to at Persifal's grave?
3. What message does Sabine get out of the dream she has?
4. Why does Sabine feel guilty regarding Kitty?
5. Where does Sabine take the Fetters when they arrive?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Sabine philosophize her life versus the one Parsifal had?
2. Describe Dot's visit at the cemetery.
3. What does Phan's dream visit mean for Sabine?
4. What had Parsifal always told Sabine about his family?
5. What shocking information does Sabine receive from Parsifal's attorney, Roger?
6. What does Sabine think of the cemetery where Parsifal and Phan are buried?
7. What does Dot's invitation to Sabine foreshadow for the story?
8. Why does Sabine make the decision to visit the Fetters family?
9. What card trick does Parsifal show Sabine in a dream?
10. How does Sabine finally understand why Parsifal had to escape his past?
Patchett is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphors, and irony, briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
Explain the ongoing conflict between Howard and the rest of the Fetters family. What are the main sources of the conflicts? Why does it perpetuate? Why does Howard feel a special conflict with Sabine?
Does Patchett end the story on a note of hope for Sabine or the continuance of her struggle to come to terms with the loss of Parsifal in her life? Give your perspective and two reasons to support your answer.
This section contains 945 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)