|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Kitty?
2. Why can Sabine no longer stay in her home?
3. Who was Phan?
4. Which of the following was NOT Parsifal's role in Sabine's life?
5. Dot had told Kitty that Parsifal had ___________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Sabine come to realize that Parsifal had had a hard life long before she met him?
2. What are the circumstances in which Kitty kisses Sabine?
3. Why did Parsifal leave home at an early age never to return?
4. Why does Dot think that she handled the situation with Guy so poorly?
5. Why does Dot take Sabine to the top of a knoll?
6. Why does Dot think that her expectation that Guy would come home cause her to lose him forever?
7. What are Sabine's perceptions of Kitty?
8. What does Sabine note about the Fetters' fitting in their Nebraska environment?
9. Why did Sabine marry Parsifal, a gay man?
10. What does Sabine wonder about the residents of Alliance as they drive Bertie to the emergency room?
Essay Topic 1
Describe the role of the family in THE MAGICIAN'S ASSISTANT. What does it mean for each of the main characters? How does the family evolve in its support of each other? How typical is this family to most families living during the late 20th century? How does the triangular relationship between Parsifal, Phan and Sabine consist of a family of sorts?
Essay Topic 2
The author uses several instances of foreshadowing in the story. Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an instance of foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 3
Project into the future ten years after the end of the novel and write a brief synopsis for Sabine's life. Will magic be a powerful presence in her life? What is her relationship with the Fetters family? Did she develop a relationship with Kitty? Explain your ideas.
This section contains 1,627 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)