|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Dot puzzled about Parsifal's marriage?
2. Who is supposed to make supper but is not at home at the Fetters household?
3. Where is the first place Sabine takes the Fetters in Los Angeles?
4. Who is Kitty?
5. What is Bertie's fiance's demeanor?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Dot's visit at the cemetery.
2. Why did Sabine marry Parsifal, a gay man?
3. Why does Sabine make the decision to visit the Fetters family?
4. Where does Sabine take Parsifal's mother and sister on their second day in Los Angeles?
5. Why does Sabine give Roger permission to call Parsifal's family and why does she not think they will contact her?
6. Why did Parsifal leave home at an early age never to return?
7. What does Sabine note about the Fetters' fitting in their Nebraska environment?
8. How does The Magician's Assistant begin?
9. What conclusion does Sabine come to regarding Parsifal's denial of any living family?
10. What does Sabine think of the cemetery where Parsifal and Phan are buried?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Patchett is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphors, and irony, briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
Essay Topic 2
THE MAGICIAN'S ASSISTANT is a classic story of loss and renewal. What does that classification entail? Why does this novel fit into this category? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Dot is baffled that Sabine would have married Parsifal who was a gay man. Why would Sabine commit to marrying Parsifal if he could not return her love in all ways possible? Why would she choose to share her husband with another man? Explain Sabine's complicated love.
This section contains 979 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)