|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Parsifal die?
2. What television show had Parsifal and Sabine appeared on many years ago?
3. Who had purchased a cemetery plot for Sabine?
4. What is the cause of Parsifal's death?
5. Parsifal had told Sabine that his family was from what state?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Dot tell Sabine about Kitty's belief that Parsifal had a photo of Kitty in his room?
2. How does Sabine meet Parsifal's sister, Kitty?
3. What thought comforts Sabine when her small plane experiences turbulence and she thinks she may die?
4. What does Kitty tell Sabine about how Parsifal killed his father?
5. What does Sabine think of the cemetery where Parsifal and Phan are buried?
6. What are Sabine's perceptions of Kitty?
7. How does Sabine philosophize her life versus the one Parsifal had?
8. What does Dot's invitation to Sabine foreshadow for the story?
9. How does The Magician's Assistant begin?
10. Where does Sabine take Parsifal's mother and sister on their second day in Los Angeles?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the ongoing conflict between Howard and the rest of the Fetters family. What are the main sources of the conflicts? Why does it perpetuate? Why does Howard feel a special conflict with Sabine?
Essay Topic 2
Denial seems to be almost an unnamed character in the book. How pervasive is the sense of denial? Why does it have such a prevalent place in the lives of the characters? Explain how an inanimate object or characteristic can be a character.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Parsifal and Howard. Both men have been a big part of Kitty's life but have their hold on her in very different ways. Why are their differences classic examples of conflict in drama? What other similarities and dissimilarities are there between the two characters?
This section contains 1,059 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)