|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At what age did Parsifal leave home for good?
2. What did Parsifal say had happened to his family?
3. What food does the family order out for supper?
4. What does Sabine do during the days after Parsifal's death?
5. Who is Parsifal's attorney?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Phan's dream visit mean for Sabine?
2. What does Dot's invitation to Sabine foreshadow for the story?
3. What does Sabine note about the Fetters' fitting in their Nebraska environment?
4. How does Sabine philosophize her life versus the one Parsifal had?
5. Describe Dot's visit at the cemetery.
6. What had Parsifal always told Sabine about his family?
7. How does Sabine meet Parsifal's sister, Kitty?
8. What does Dot tell Sabine about Kitty's belief that Parsifal had a photo of Kitty in his room?
9. What are Sabine's perceptions of Kitty?
10. Who is Haas and what is his role in the story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses several instances of foreshadowing in the story. Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an instance of foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 2
The frustration of unfulfilled affection touches several characters in the story. Name at least two characters who experience unfulfilled love and the situations that occur as a result.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the role of the family in THE MAGICIAN'S ASSISTANT. What does it mean for each of the main characters? How does the family evolve in its support of each other? How typical is this family to most families living during the late 20th century? How does the triangular relationship between Parsifal, Phan and Sabine consist of a family of sorts?
This section contains 956 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)