|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To which Canadian city had Sabine's parents moved?
2. What is the name of the restaurant where Sabine meets her parents for lunch?
3. What had Parsifal left Roger at the time of Parsifal's death?
4. Sabine thinks that leaving Nebraska ________________.
5. Dot tells Sabine how Parsifal got the scar on his _____________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Sabine make the decision to visit the Fetters family?
2. How does Sabine meet Parsifal's sister, Kitty?
3. What thought comforts Sabine when her small plane experiences turbulence and she thinks she may die?
4. What does Sabine think of the cemetery where Parsifal and Phan are buried?
5. How does Sabine philosophize her life versus the one Parsifal had?
6. Describe Dot's visit at the cemetery.
7. What does Sabine note about the Fetters' fitting in their Nebraska environment?
8. What does Phan's dream visit mean for Sabine?
9. How does The Magician's Assistant begin?
10. How do Sabine's parents feel about her going to Nebraska to visit Parsifal's family?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Parsifal and Howard. Both men have been a big part of Kitty's life but have their hold on her in very different ways. Why are their differences classic examples of conflict in drama? What other similarities and dissimilarities are there between the two characters?
Essay Topic 2
Does Patchett end the story on a note of hope for Sabine or the continuance of her struggle to come to terms with the loss of Parsifal in her life? Give your perspective and two reasons to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one instance of irony in the book. Cite at least two other examples you can identify in the book and note why they are examples of irony.
This section contains 958 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)