|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Sabine thinks about how she was not entitled to ____________________.
2. Who does Sabine ask to call Parsifal's parents?
3. Who is Parsifal's attorney?
4. Why did Kitty want her father to be dead when he fell to the floor?
5. Where does Sabine want to go despite Dot's protests?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Phan tell Sabine in a dream after Parsifal dies?
2. Why does Sabine feel that she cannot stay in the big house any longer?
3. Why did Sabine marry Parsifal, a gay man?
4. How does Sabine philosophize her life versus the one Parsifal had?
5. Why is lunch at the Magic Castle a bittersweet experience for Sabine?
6. Who is Parsifal's mother and why does she call Sabine?
7. Describe Dot's visit at the cemetery.
8. What had Parsifal always told Sabine about his family?
9. What are Sabine's perceptions of Kitty?
10. What does Sabine note about the Fetters' fitting in their Nebraska environment?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the ongoing conflict between Howard and the rest of the Fetters family. What are the main sources of the conflicts? Why does it perpetuate? Why does Howard feel a special conflict with Sabine?
Essay Topic 2
The author uses several instances of foreshadowing in the story. Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an instance of foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 3
Patchett is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphors, and irony, briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
This section contains 924 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)