|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How was Parsifal's father killed?
2. What had Parsifal left Roger at the time of Parsifal's death?
3. What happens to Sabine when she is called onstage?
4. Who killed Parsifal's father?
5. Why did Sabine's parents not like the Canadian city?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Dot's visit at the cemetery.
2. Why is lunch at the Magic Castle a bittersweet experience for Sabine?
3. What does Phan's dream visit mean for Sabine?
4. What are Sabine's perceptions of Kitty?
5. Why does Sabine give Roger permission to call Parsifal's family and why does she not think they will contact her?
6. What does Sabine think of the cemetery where Parsifal and Phan are buried?
7. Why does Sabine feel that she cannot stay in the big house any longer?
8. How do Sabine's parents feel about her going to Nebraska to visit Parsifal's family?
9. Why did Sabine marry Parsifal, a gay man?
10. What conclusion does Sabine come to regarding Parsifal's denial of any living family?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the significance of the book's title? What are some other possible titles for the book. List at least five and cite your reasons for each.
Essay Topic 2
Does Patchett end the story on a note of hope for Sabine or the continuance of her struggle to come to terms with the loss of Parsifal in her life? Give your perspective and two reasons to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Parsifal and Howard. Both men have been a big part of Kitty's life but have their hold on her in very different ways. Why are their differences classic examples of conflict in drama? What other similarities and dissimilarities are there between the two characters?
This section contains 899 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)