|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dot notice at Sabine's house?
2. What does Sabine note about the woman she sees in the kitchen?
3. Who does Dot talk to at Persifal's grave?
4. Sabine dreams that she is in the snow with whom?
5. Who is supposed to make supper but is not at home at the Fetters household?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who are Kitty's sons and what do they find fascinating about Sabine?
2. Why does Sabine make the decision to visit the Fetters family?
3. Who is Howard Plate and what can be assumed by his behavior?
4. What does Sabine think of the cemetery where Parsifal and Phan are buried?
5. Why does Dot take Sabine to the top of a knoll?
6. Why does Kitty fear that Sabine will never want to visit the Fetters family again?
7. How do Sabine's parents feel about her going to Nebraska to visit Parsifal's family?
8. Who is Parsifal's mother and why does she call Sabine?
9. What had Parsifal always told Sabine about his family?
10. Who is Haas and what is his role in the story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of living in denial. Identify at least two characters who either embody or experience living in denial and then cite an example to support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
Create a character study of Dot. What are her physical characteristics? What are her motivations? What are her fears? What are her dreams? What else can you say about Dot?
Essay Topic 3
Project into the future ten years after the end of the novel and write a brief synopsis for Sabine's life. Will magic be a powerful presence in her life? What is her relationship with the Fetters family? Did she develop a relationship with Kitty? Explain your ideas.
This section contains 1,592 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)