|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Kitty tells Sabine that Parsifal had ____________________ as part of his escape plan.
2. Who does Sabine ask to call Parsifal's parents?
3. What is the name of the restaurant where Sabine meets her parents for lunch?
4. What message does Sabine get out of the dream she has?
5. Why does Dot take Sabine to the hospital?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Sabine's parents feel about her going to Nebraska to visit Parsifal's family?
2. Describe Dot's visit at the cemetery.
3. Why does Sabine feel that she cannot stay in the big house any longer?
4. What does Dot tell Sabine about Kitty's belief that Parsifal had a photo of Kitty in his room?
5. Where does Sabine take Parsifal's mother and sister on their second day in Los Angeles?
6. What does Phan's dream visit mean for Sabine?
7. What does Sabine think of the cemetery where Parsifal and Phan are buried?
8. Why did Sabine marry Parsifal, a gay man?
9. Why does Sabine give Roger permission to call Parsifal's family and why does she not think they will contact her?
10. What does Phan tell Sabine about Parsifal coming around when he returns to her in a dream?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Patchett is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphors, and irony, briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the role of the family in THE MAGICIAN'S ASSISTANT. What does it mean for each of the main characters? How does the family evolve in its support of each other? How typical is this family to most families living during the late 20th century? How does the triangular relationship between Parsifal, Phan and Sabine consist of a family of sorts?
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one instance of irony in the book. Cite at least two other examples you can identify in the book and note why they are examples of irony.
This section contains 918 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)