|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Sabine's parents not like the Canadian city?
2. What television show had Parsifal and Sabine appeared on many years ago?
3. Sabine and Parsifal's marriage was one of ________________.
4. Why does Dot take Sabine to the hospital?
5. To which Canadian city had Sabine's parents moved?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Phan's dream visit mean for Sabine?
2. Describe Dot's visit at the cemetery.
3. Where does Sabine take Parsifal's mother and sister on their second day in Los Angeles?
4. What does Dot's invitation to Sabine foreshadow for the story?
5. How does Sabine philosophize her life versus the one Parsifal had?
6. How do Sabine's parents feel about her going to Nebraska to visit Parsifal's family?
7. What conclusion does Sabine come to regarding Parsifal's denial of any living family?
8. What does Dot tell Sabine about Kitty's belief that Parsifal had a photo of Kitty in his room?
9. What does Kitty tell Sabine about how Parsifal killed his father?
10. Why does Sabine feel that she cannot stay in the big house any longer?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a character study of Kitty. What are her physical characteristics? What are her motivations? What are her fears? What are her dreams? What else can you say about Kitty?
Essay Topic 2
Project into the future ten years after the end of the novel and write a brief synopsis for Sabine's life. Will magic be a powerful presence in her life? What is her relationship with the Fetters family? Did she develop a relationship with Kitty? Explain your ideas.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the role of the family in THE MAGICIAN'S ASSISTANT. What does it mean for each of the main characters? How does the family evolve in its support of each other? How typical is this family to most families living during the late 20th century? How does the triangular relationship between Parsifal, Phan and Sabine consist of a family of sorts?
This section contains 969 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)