|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Parsifal's hometown?
2. What is the name of the restaurant where Sabine meets her parents for lunch?
3. Who does Dot talk to at Persifal's grave?
4. Who does Sabine ask to call Parsifal's parents?
5. What was Parsifal's real name?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Sabine think of the cemetery where Parsifal and Phan are buried?
2. How does The Magician's Assistant begin?
3. Who is Haas and what is his role in the story?
4. What had Parsifal always told Sabine about his family?
5. What thought comforts Sabine when her small plane experiences turbulence and she thinks she may die?
6. What are Sabine's perceptions of Kitty?
7. Why does Sabine feel that she cannot stay in the big house any longer?
8. Why did Parsifal leave home at an early age never to return?
9. Describe Dot's visit at the cemetery.
10. Where does Sabine take Parsifal's mother and sister on their second day in Los Angeles?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the ongoing conflict between Howard and the rest of the Fetters family. What are the main sources of the conflicts? Why does it perpetuate? Why does Howard feel a special conflict with Sabine?
Essay Topic 2
THE MAGICIAN'S ASSISTANT is a classic story of loss and renewal. What does that classification entail? Why does this novel fit into this category? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Project into the future ten years after the end of the novel and write a brief synopsis for Sabine's life. Will magic be a powerful presence in her life? What is her relationship with the Fetters family? Did she develop a relationship with Kitty? Explain your ideas.
This section contains 994 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)