|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who invites Sabine to the hotel for a couple of drinks?
2. Why does Sabine call Dot?
3. What conclusion do Sabine's parents arrive at regarding Parsifal's parents?
4. How was Parsifal's father killed?
5. Who is the owner of the restaurant in #40?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Sabine note about the Fetters' fitting in their Nebraska environment?
2. Where does Sabine take Parsifal's mother and sister on their second day in Los Angeles?
3. What are Sabine's perceptions of Kitty?
4. Why did Parsifal leave home at an early age never to return?
5. What does Sabine think of the cemetery where Parsifal and Phan are buried?
6. What does Dot's invitation to Sabine foreshadow for the story?
7. What shocking information does Sabine receive from Parsifal's attorney, Roger?
8. Who is Haas and what is his role in the story?
9. Why does Sabine feel that she cannot stay in the big house any longer?
10. How do Sabine's parents feel about her going to Nebraska to visit Parsifal's family?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a character study of Dot. What are her physical characteristics? What are her motivations? What are her fears? What are her dreams? What else can you say about Dot?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the role of the family in THE MAGICIAN'S ASSISTANT. What does it mean for each of the main characters? How does the family evolve in its support of each other? How typical is this family to most families living during the late 20th century? How does the triangular relationship between Parsifal, Phan and Sabine consist of a family of sorts?
Essay Topic 3
The search for love is an important theme in THE MAGICIAN'S ASSISTANT. Can you cite an example to support this theme? Name two other themes and cite examples to support your answer.
This section contains 1,028 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)