|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Dot had told Kitty that Parsifal had ___________________.
2. Who is supposed to make supper but is not at home at the Fetters household?
3. What is included in a letter that Dot sends to Sabine?
4. Why does Sabine call Dot?
5. Who had purchased a cemetery plot for Sabine?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Sabine wonder about the residents of Alliance as they drive Bertie to the emergency room?
2. How does Sabine philosophize her life versus the one Parsifal had?
3. What thought comforts Sabine when her small plane experiences turbulence and she thinks she may die?
4. What does Phan tell Sabine about Parsifal coming around when he returns to her in a dream?
5. Why did Sabine marry Parsifal, a gay man?
6. How does Sabine meet Parsifal's sister, Kitty?
7. Describe Dot's visit at the cemetery.
8. What are the circumstances in which Kitty kisses Sabine?
9. What does Phan tell Sabine in a dream after Parsifal dies?
10. How has Kitty become a source of comfort and possible love for Sabine?
Essay Topic 1
Explain the role of the women in the novel, specifically, how did Dot's life differ from that of Sabine's in the next generation? In what ways is Dot's life mirrored in Kitty's life? What roles do family, culture and experiences play in forming a woman's character and life story?
Essay Topic 2
The frustration of unfulfilled affection touches several characters in the story. Name at least two characters who experience unfulfilled love and the situations that occur as a result.
Essay Topic 3
Denial seems to be almost an unnamed character in the book. How pervasive is the sense of denial? Why does it have such a prevalent place in the lives of the characters? Explain how an inanimate object or characteristic can be a character.
This section contains 1,597 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)