|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Dot had told Kitty that Parsifal had ___________________.
2. Who was Phan?
3. Where does Salvio take Sabine and the Fetters to lunch?
4. What does Sabine think about when the plane hits turbulence?
5. Kitty tells Sabine that Parsifal had ____________________ as part of his escape plan.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Parsifal leave home at an early age never to return?
2. What does Phan tell Sabine in a dream after Parsifal dies?
3. What thought comforts Sabine when her small plane experiences turbulence and she thinks she may die?
4. What are Sabine's perceptions of Kitty?
5. What had Parsifal always told Sabine about his family?
6. What shocking information does Sabine receive from Parsifal's attorney, Roger?
7. What does Sabine think of the cemetery where Parsifal and Phan are buried?
8. What does Dot's invitation to Sabine foreshadow for the story?
9. How does Sabine meet Parsifal's sister, Kitty?
10. What does Phan's dream visit mean for Sabine?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Denial seems to be almost an unnamed character in the book. How pervasive is the sense of denial? Why does it have such a prevalent place in the lives of the characters? Explain how an inanimate object or characteristic can be a character.
Essay Topic 2
What is the significance of the book's title? What are some other possible titles for the book. List at least five and cite your reasons for each.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of living in denial. Identify at least two characters who either embody or experience living in denial and then cite an example to support your answers.
This section contains 1,068 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)