|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sabine do in the days after the Fetters leave Los Angeles?
2. How may years had Sabine been with Parsifal?
3. To which Canadian city had Sabine's parents moved?
4. What did Parsifal say had happened to his family?
5. Sabine's parents feel that meeting the Fetters was _________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Phan's dream visit mean for Sabine?
2. Describe Dot's visit at the cemetery.
3. What shocking information does Sabine receive from Parsifal's attorney, Roger?
4. How does Sabine philosophize her life versus the one Parsifal had?
5. Why did Parsifal leave home at an early age never to return?
6. What does Sabine think of the cemetery where Parsifal and Phan are buried?
7. Who is Parsifal's mother and why does she call Sabine?
8. How does The Magician's Assistant begin?
9. Why does Sabine make the decision to visit the Fetters family?
10. Why does the Magic Castle experience jolt Sabine into reality about her life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
THE MAGICIAN'S ASSISTANT is a classic story of loss and renewal. What does that classification entail? Why does this novel fit into this category? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the ongoing conflict between Howard and the rest of the Fetters family. What are the main sources of the conflicts? Why does it perpetuate? Why does Howard feel a special conflict with Sabine?
Essay Topic 3
What is the significance of the book's title? What are some other possible titles for the book. List at least five and cite your reasons for each.
This section contains 933 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)