|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is doing a magic show at the location in #40?
2. Who is Parsifal's mother?
3. Sabine thinks that leaving Nebraska ________________.
4. Who was Phan?
5. Who does Dot talk to at Persifal's grave?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Phan tell Sabine about Parsifal coming around when he returns to her in a dream?
2. Where does Sabine take Parsifal's mother and sister on their second day in Los Angeles?
3. What does Kitty tell Sabine about how Parsifal killed his father?
4. Who is Haas and what is his role in the story?
5. What does Phan tell Sabine in a dream after Parsifal dies?
6. What does Sabine note about the Fetters' fitting in their Nebraska environment?
7. What conclusion does Sabine come to regarding Parsifal's denial of any living family?
8. Why is lunch at the Magic Castle a bittersweet experience for Sabine?
9. What had Parsifal always told Sabine about his family?
10. What are Sabine's perceptions of Kitty?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the role of the family in THE MAGICIAN'S ASSISTANT. What does it mean for each of the main characters? How does the family evolve in its support of each other? How typical is this family to most families living during the late 20th century? How does the triangular relationship between Parsifal, Phan and Sabine consist of a family of sorts?
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of living in denial. Identify at least two characters who either embody or experience living in denial and then cite an example to support your answers.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one instance of irony in the book. Cite at least two other examples you can identify in the book and note why they are examples of irony.
This section contains 1,003 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)