|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sabine note about all the houses in Nebraska?
2. Who is Salvio?
3. Kitty tells Sabine that _____________ was supposed to be the magician's assistant.
4. What is the name of the restaurant where Sabine meets her parents for lunch?
5. Who is Dot's daughter who did not accompany her to Los Angeles?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Sabine marry Parsifal, a gay man?
2. Why did Parsifal leave home at an early age never to return?
3. Who is Parsifal's mother and why does she call Sabine?
4. How does The Magician's Assistant begin?
5. Why does Sabine feel that she cannot stay in the big house any longer?
6. What does Dot's invitation to Sabine foreshadow for the story?
7. Why does Sabine give Roger permission to call Parsifal's family and why does she not think they will contact her?
8. What are Sabine's perceptions of Kitty?
9. What does Sabine think of the cemetery where Parsifal and Phan are buried?
10. How does Sabine meet Parsifal's sister, Kitty?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses several instances of foreshadowing in the story. Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an instance of foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Parsifal and Howard. Both men have been a big part of Kitty's life but have their hold on her in very different ways. Why are their differences classic examples of conflict in drama? What other similarities and dissimilarities are there between the two characters?
Essay Topic 3
The frustration of unfulfilled affection touches several characters in the story. Name at least two characters who experience unfulfilled love and the situations that occur as a result.
This section contains 967 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)