|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Sabine ask to call Parsifal's parents?
2. What does Sabine purchase for the visit?
3. What is the subject of a painting hanging in the Fetters' home?
4. What surprising news does Sabine learn about Parsifal?
5. What is the homeland of Sabine's parents?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Dot's invitation to Sabine foreshadow for the story?
2. Why does Sabine feel that she cannot stay in the big house any longer?
3. What does Phan's dream visit mean for Sabine?
4. Why is lunch at the Magic Castle a bittersweet experience for Sabine?
5. What thought comforts Sabine when her small plane experiences turbulence and she thinks she may die?
6. What had Parsifal always told Sabine about his family?
7. What does Phan tell Sabine about Parsifal coming around when he returns to her in a dream?
8. Why did Parsifal leave home at an early age never to return?
9. What shocking information does Sabine receive from Parsifal's attorney, Roger?
10. Who is Haas and what is his role in the story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the role of the women in the novel, specifically, how did Dot's life differ from that of Sabine's in the next generation? In what ways is Dot's life mirrored in Kitty's life? What roles do family, culture and experiences play in forming a woman's character and life story?
Essay Topic 2
Create a character study of Kitty. What are her physical characteristics? What are her motivations? What are her fears? What are her dreams? What else can you say about Kitty?
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of living in denial. Identify at least two characters who either embody or experience living in denial and then cite an example to support your answers.
This section contains 926 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)