|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the cause of Phan's death?
2. What kind of relationship did Kitty once have with Guy when they were younger?
3. What does Sabine think about when the plane hits turbulence?
4. What is the subject of a painting hanging in the Fetters' home?
5. Why does Sabine call Dot?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is lunch at the Magic Castle a bittersweet experience for Sabine?
2. What does Phan tell Sabine about Parsifal coming around when he returns to her in a dream?
3. How do Sabine's parents feel about her going to Nebraska to visit Parsifal's family?
4. What shocking information does Sabine receive from Parsifal's attorney, Roger?
5. Why does Sabine make the decision to visit the Fetters family?
6. What does Dot's invitation to Sabine foreshadow for the story?
7. Why did Sabine marry Parsifal, a gay man?
8. What thought comforts Sabine when her small plane experiences turbulence and she thinks she may die?
9. What does Dot tell Sabine about Kitty's belief that Parsifal had a photo of Kitty in his room?
10. Who is Parsifal's mother and why does she call Sabine?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are the two major settings for the novel? Be sure to include geography, time period and any pertinent popular culture events. Why did Patchett choose to use these places in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
The author uses several instances of foreshadowing in the story. Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an instance of foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 3
The frustration of unfulfilled affection touches several characters in the story. Name at least two characters who experience unfulfilled love and the situations that occur as a result.
This section contains 888 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)