|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the subject of a painting hanging in the Fetters' home?
2. Where does Sabine want to go despite Dot's protests?
3. What do Sabine's parents advise her to do regarding Parsifal's parents?
4. Who is the hostess in the restaurant in #40?
5. Where does Sabine sleep while visiting the Fetters?
Short Essay Questions
1. What thought comforts Sabine when her small plane experiences turbulence and she thinks she may die?
2. What does Phan tell Sabine in a dream after Parsifal dies?
3. How does Sabine philosophize her life versus the one Parsifal had?
4. What are Sabine's perceptions of Kitty?
5. Why does Sabine feel that she cannot stay in the big house any longer?
6. What conclusion does Sabine come to regarding Parsifal's denial of any living family?
7. What does Dot tell Sabine about Kitty's belief that Parsifal had a photo of Kitty in his room?
8. What does Sabine note about the Fetters' fitting in their Nebraska environment?
9. How does Sabine meet Parsifal's sister, Kitty?
10. Where does Sabine take Parsifal's mother and sister on their second day in Los Angeles?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Denial seems to be almost an unnamed character in the book. How pervasive is the sense of denial? Why does it have such a prevalent place in the lives of the characters? Explain how an inanimate object or characteristic can be a character.
Essay Topic 2
Project into the future ten years after the end of the novel and write a brief synopsis for Sabine's life. Will magic be a powerful presence in her life? What is her relationship with the Fetters family? Did she develop a relationship with Kitty? Explain your ideas.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Parsifal and Howard. Both men have been a big part of Kitty's life but have their hold on her in very different ways. Why are their differences classic examples of conflict in drama? What other similarities and dissimilarities are there between the two characters?
This section contains 1,097 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)