|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Dot talk to at Persifal's grave?
2. What does Sabine do during the days after Parsifal's death?
3. Where was Parsifal sent after committing a crime?
4. Why did Sabine's parents not like the Canadian city?
5. Who is doing a magic show at the location in #40?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Sabine's perceptions of Kitty?
2. How does The Magician's Assistant begin?
3. Who is Parsifal's mother and why does she call Sabine?
4. What does Sabine think of the cemetery where Parsifal and Phan are buried?
5. Why did Sabine marry Parsifal, a gay man?
6. What does Sabine note about the Fetters' fitting in their Nebraska environment?
7. How do Sabine's parents feel about her going to Nebraska to visit Parsifal's family?
8. What does Dot tell Sabine about Kitty's belief that Parsifal had a photo of Kitty in his room?
9. What does Dot's invitation to Sabine foreshadow for the story?
10. What had Parsifal always told Sabine about his family?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the role of the family in THE MAGICIAN'S ASSISTANT. What does it mean for each of the main characters? How does the family evolve in its support of each other? How typical is this family to most families living during the late 20th century? How does the triangular relationship between Parsifal, Phan and Sabine consist of a family of sorts?
Essay Topic 2
The frustration of unfulfilled affection touches several characters in the story. Name at least two characters who experience unfulfilled love and the situations that occur as a result.
Essay Topic 3
What is the significance of the book's title? What are some other possible titles for the book. List at least five and cite your reasons for each.
This section contains 1,017 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)