|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of relationship did Kitty once have with Guy when they were younger?
2. At what age did Parsifal leave home for good?
3. Sabine thinks about how she was not entitled to ____________________.
4. What is the homeland of Sabine's parents?
5. What does Sabine think about when the plane hits turbulence?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does The Magician's Assistant begin?
2. What does Phan tell Sabine about Parsifal coming around when he returns to her in a dream?
3. What does Sabine think of the cemetery where Parsifal and Phan are buried?
4. What does Dot tell Sabine about Kitty's belief that Parsifal had a photo of Kitty in his room?
5. What thought comforts Sabine when her small plane experiences turbulence and she thinks she may die?
6. What does Dot's invitation to Sabine foreshadow for the story?
7. Describe Dot's visit at the cemetery.
8. Why is lunch at the Magic Castle a bittersweet experience for Sabine?
9. Why does Sabine give Roger permission to call Parsifal's family and why does she not think they will contact her?
10. Why does Sabine make the decision to visit the Fetters family?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Patchett is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphors, and irony, briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the role of the women in the novel, specifically, how did Dot's life differ from that of Sabine's in the next generation? In what ways is Dot's life mirrored in Kitty's life? What roles do family, culture and experiences play in forming a woman's character and life story?
Essay Topic 3
Denial seems to be almost an unnamed character in the book. How pervasive is the sense of denial? Why does it have such a prevalent place in the lives of the characters? Explain how an inanimate object or characteristic can be a character.
This section contains 946 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)