|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sabine think about when the plane hits turbulence?
2. What does Sabine note about the woman she sees in the kitchen?
3. What was Parsifal's real name?
4. Dot had told Kitty that Parsifal had ___________________.
5. Sabine dreams that she is in the snow with whom?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Sabine think of the cemetery where Parsifal and Phan are buried?
2. What does Sabine note about the Fetters' fitting in their Nebraska environment?
3. Where does Sabine take Parsifal's mother and sister on their second day in Los Angeles?
4. What shocking information does Sabine receive from Parsifal's attorney, Roger?
5. What thought comforts Sabine when her small plane experiences turbulence and she thinks she may die?
6. Why does Sabine feel that she cannot stay in the big house any longer?
7. How does The Magician's Assistant begin?
8. What does Phan tell Sabine about Parsifal coming around when he returns to her in a dream?
9. Who is Parsifal's mother and why does she call Sabine?
10. Why did Parsifal leave home at an early age never to return?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the ongoing conflict between Howard and the rest of the Fetters family. What are the main sources of the conflicts? Why does it perpetuate? Why does Howard feel a special conflict with Sabine?
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one instance of irony in the book. Cite at least two other examples you can identify in the book and note why they are examples of irony.
Essay Topic 3
The search for love is an important theme in THE MAGICIAN'S ASSISTANT. Can you cite an example to support this theme? Name two other themes and cite examples to support your answer.
This section contains 1,049 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)