|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Machiavelli give Dagon permission to follow the Nidhogg?
2. Where is Scathach?
3. Who finds Machiavelli's burned out car?
4. Why does Josh attack the Nidhogg?
5. What did the Nidhogg do the last time it was released?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens just as Flamel and Joan think they have saved Scathach?
2. Why does Josh raise an alarm?
3. Describe what happens when Josh catches up with the Nidhogg.
4. What happens when Josh stabs the Nidhogg in the tongue and what does the Nidhogg do as a result?
5. Why does Perenelle learn from Areop-Enap and what does Areop-Enap agree to do?
6. How do Flamel, Joan and Sophie track Josh?
7. How does Germain help Sophie with her fire magic and what is the result?
8. Why do Machiavelli and Dee jump out of their car and what do they watch?
9. What has Flamel recovered from his old house and what does he want Scathach and Germain to do?
10. How do Machiavelli and Dee induce Josh to stay with them?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the following to discuss:
1. Choose two significant symbols and trace and analyze their appearance in The Magician. Are these universal symbols? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other symbols that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Scott chooses the symbols he does?
2. Choose two important metaphors and trace and analyze their appearance in the novel. Are these universal metaphors? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other metaphors that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Scott chooses the metaphors she does?
3. Discuss Scott's use (or lack ) of literary device (such as foreshadowing, clifthangers, deux ex machina, etc.) and how they add or detract from the story. Does Scott use too many or too few literary techniques? State which of the five major elements of fiction the literary device is related to (style, character, plot, setting, theme).
Essay Topic 2
Many readers of fiction place themselves in the position of one character, wondering if they would do the same thing as that character. Discuss the following:
1. Do you think one of the values of literature is to serve as a reflection of oneself? Why or why not?
2. Socrates said "Know thyself." How can reading a book such as The Magician help a reader to know him/herself? Do you find yourself reflecting on your own character and abilities when reading The Magician? Why or why not?
3. Choose one specific incident in The Magician to discuss and compare one of the characters' response to how you think you would respond.
Essay Topic 3
The Magician is one book in a series of novels involving Nicholas and the twins. Discuss the following.
1. What are a couple advantages of writing a series of novels about the same characters? Use examples.
2. What are a couple disadvantages of writing a series of novels about the same characters? Use examples.
3. Do you prefer to read a standalone book, or a series of books with the same main characters? Explain your response.
4. Do you think it is easier or more difficult (or about the same) to write a standalone book versus one in a series? Explain your answer.
This section contains 1,008 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)