|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is significant about a manhole in an ally that Flamel and the others find?
2. Where is Scathach?
3. What is following Perenelle as she leaves the depths of Alcatraz?
4. What do Dee and Machiavelli tell Josh when he wants to leave them?
5. Where does St. Germain take Joan, Flamel, and Sophie?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what happens when Josh catches up with the Nidhogg.
2. How do Flamel, Joan and Sophie track Josh?
3. What happens when Josh stabs the Nidhogg in the tongue and what does the Nidhogg do as a result?
4. Why does Josh raise an alarm?
5. How has Joan of Arc say she helped Sophie?
6. What does Sophie do when she hears Josh and why can't Flamel help?
7. What else does Perenelle discover in the cells of Alcatraz and what is following her?
8. What has Flamel recovered from his old house and what does he want Scathach and Germain to do?
9. Why do Machiavelli and Dee jump out of their car and what do they watch?
10. Why does Josh attack the Nidhogg and what does Scathach tell him to do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in The Magician.
2. Trace and analyze one major theme of The Magician. How is the theme represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
3. Trace and analyze two secondary themes of The Magician. How are the themes represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
Essay Topic 2
Whenever reading a science fiction or fantasy novel, one must become familiar with new terminology that explains concepts or ideas that are not a part of the "real" world. In the case of The Magician, much of the setting may seem familiar to the reader (i.e. there are woods, mountains, rivers, oceans, etc), though there are new ideas and terms to learn. Discuss the following:
1. Find five terms that are a part of the world of The Magician that occur in the "real" world but are used differently in The Magician.
2. Define the words as used in in The Sorceress world and compare those five words as to how they are currently used in the American English language.
3. There are ways of learning about a new world or time when reading a science fiction or fantasy novel. Discuss the ways you were able to understand the world of The Magician. Did you have to look up any words? What does it mean to learn a word through its context? Do you have to do that in The Sorceress? What word(s)?
4. Were there any words you never really understood from The Magician? Which ones?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following:
1. Trace and analyze the theme of growth in The Magician. Consider the following questions as you write: What characters are most concerned with growth? Why? What are some symbols of growth? Symbols of rigidity? What characters seem rigid?
2. Trace and analyze the theme of trust in The Magician. Which characters struggle with this issue? Why? Which characters seem to be trustworthy? Why? Which are not?
3. Trace and analyze the theme of good versus evil, in The Magician. Who is "good"? Who is "evil"? Who decides what is good and what is evil? How is the theme portrayed in The Magician?
This section contains 1,052 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)