Final Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Joan teach Sophie about Sophie's aura?
2. What happens to endanger Scathach again?
3. Who is Areop-Enap?
4. Who first notices a creature coming in through the garden wall?
5. What does Sophie realize as Josh begins to battle the Disir?
The Magician is one book in a series of novels involving Nicholas and the twins. Discuss the following.
1. What are a couple advantages of writing a series of novels about the same characters? Use examples.
2. What are a couple disadvantages of writing a series of novels about the same characters? Use examples.
3. Do you prefer to read a standalone book, or a series of books with the same main characters? Explain your response.
4. Do you think it is easier or more difficult (or about the same) to write a standalone book versus one in a series? Explain your answer.
There are a number of interesting questions raised by The Magician. Questions that Scott most likely want readers to consider and think through carefully. Discuss the following:
1. What does the term "author agenda" mean?
2. Name one idea/concept you think may have been a part of the Scott' agenda. Analyze that idea throughout the book and discuss Scott' probable agenda concerning that idea.
2. Do you think writers who have an agenda for writing should point it out in a preface?
3. How often do you think fiction is written with a clear agenda in mind by the author?
4. Research the life of Scott and see if/where his life may have influenced his writing.
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in The Magician.
2. Trace and analyze one major theme of The Magician. How is the theme represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
3. Trace and analyze two secondary themes of The Magician. How are the themes represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
This section contains 416 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)