Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Joan teach Sophie about Sophie's aura?
2. What happens to endanger Scathach again?
3. Who is Areop-Enap?
4. Who first notices a creature coming in through the garden wall?
5. What does Sophie realize as Josh begins to battle the Disir?
Essay Topic 1
The Magician is one book in a series of novels involving Nicholas and the twins. Discuss the following.
1. What are a couple advantages of writing a series of novels about the same characters? Use examples.
2. What are a couple disadvantages of writing a series of novels about the same characters? Use examples.
3. Do you prefer to read a standalone book, or a series of books with the same main characters? Explain your response.
4. Do you think it is easier or more difficult (or about the same) to write a standalone book versus one in a series? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Many readers of fiction place themselves in the position of one character, wondering if they would do the same thing as that character. Discuss the following:
1. Do you think one of the values of literature is to serve as a reflection of oneself? Why or why not?
2. Socrates said "Know thyself." How can reading a book such as The Magician help a reader to know him/herself? Do you find yourself reflecting on your own character and abilities when reading The Magician? Why or why not?
3. Choose one specific incident in The Magician to discuss and compare one of the characters' response to how you think you would respond.
Essay Topic 3
Dee is a servant of the Dark Elders who has been chasing Flamel for hundreds of years in an attempt to get the Book of Abraham. Dee wants to use the book to raise Danu Talis, the home of the Elders, and restore Earth to its previous splendor. However, Flamel knows that if this happens, the humans will be turned into slaves or killed for food for the Elders and he cannot allow this to happen. For this reason, Flamel has fought for hundreds of years to keep the book from the Dark Elders, even making himself immortal so that he can continue to protect the book. However, the spell that keeps Flamel and his wife, Perenelle, immortal must be taken once a month and the recipe is constantly changing. For this reason, Flamel needs to get the book back before the end of the month or he and Perenelle will die.
1. Discuss the implications that Dee, who is a human made immortal, wants to raise Danu Talis in spite of what that event would do to the human race. Use examples from The Magician and your own life to support your answer.
2. Discuss the problems that might arise when someone has been fighting for a cause for hundreds of years and has not yet been successful. How might that affect a person's character, emotions and behaviors, such as Flamel? Use examples from The Magician and your own life to support your answer.
3. Discuss how the relationship between Nicolas Flamel and Perenelle has influenced their behaviors throughout the hundreds of years in which they have been immortal and fighting the Dark Elders. Use examples from The Magician and your own life to support your answer.
This section contains 641 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)