|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who has a vendetta against Scathach?
2. What happens as Josh prepares to kill the Nidhogg?
3. Where does Josh stab the Nidhogg?
4. About what do Josh and Sophie talk when they are alone?
5. Who first notices a creature coming in through the garden wall?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do Machiavelli and Dee jump out of their car and what do they watch?
2. How has Joan of Arc say she helped Sophie?
3. How do Machiavelli and Dee induce Josh to stay with them?
4. Who greets Sophie and Joan as they run down the front hall?
5. What does Sophie do when she hears Josh and why can't Flamel help?
6. What do Joan and Flamel and Sophie do as they arrive at the Seine?
7. Where do Josh and St. Germain go and what does Germain give Josh?
8. What happens when Josh stabs the Nidhogg in the tongue and what does the Nidhogg do as a result?
9. What does Perenelle learn from de Ayala, and what does she ask of him?
10. What does Perenelle discover as she makes her way into the bowels of Alcatraz?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Often, authors will write about "what they know," and sometimes knowing a little about the author makes the books more interesting. Discuss the following:
1. Research and give a brief biographical sketch of Michael Scott.
2. What in Scott's background may have helped him in writing The Magician? What may have influenced the way he depicts various characters and scenes?
3. Do you think there is always some of the author's own life in his/her novels? Why or why not? Give examples.
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the following to discuss:
1. Choose two significant symbols and trace and analyze their appearance in The Magician. Are these universal symbols? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other symbols that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Scott chooses the symbols he does?
2. Choose two important metaphors and trace and analyze their appearance in the novel. Are these universal metaphors? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other metaphors that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Scott chooses the metaphors she does?
3. Discuss Scott's use (or lack ) of literary device (such as foreshadowing, clifthangers, deux ex machina, etc.) and how they add or detract from the story. Does Scott use too many or too few literary techniques? State which of the five major elements of fiction the literary device is related to (style, character, plot, setting, theme).
Essay Topic 3
The Magician is one book in a series of novels involving Nicholas and the twins. Discuss the following.
1. What are a couple advantages of writing a series of novels about the same characters? Use examples.
2. What are a couple disadvantages of writing a series of novels about the same characters? Use examples.
3. Do you prefer to read a standalone book, or a series of books with the same main characters? Explain your response.
4. Do you think it is easier or more difficult (or about the same) to write a standalone book versus one in a series? Explain your answer.
This section contains 914 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)