|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who has a vendetta against Scathach?
2. Who helps Scathach teach Josh?
3. What did the Nidhogg do the last time it was released?
4. Where does St. Germain take Joan, Flamel, and Sophie?
5. Who goes in search of Josh?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Sophie think has happened to Josh and what are Joan and Flamel's take on the situation?
2. What else does Perenelle discover in the cells of Alcatraz and what is following her?
3. Who greets Sophie and Joan as they run down the front hall?
4. Who does Machiavelli introduce John Dee to in discussing how to deal with Flamel and the others?
5. What do Joan and Flamel and Sophie do as they arrive at the Seine?
6. How does Dee help Josh and why does Josh go with Dee?
7. Where do Josh and St. Germain go and what does Germain give Josh?
8. How do Flamel, Joan and Sophie track Josh?
9. Why do Machiavelli and Dee jump out of their car and what do they watch?
10. How does Sophie beat the Disir?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following:
1. Trace and analyze the theme of growth in The Magician. Consider the following questions as you write: What characters are most concerned with growth? Why? What are some symbols of growth? Symbols of rigidity? What characters seem rigid?
2. Trace and analyze the theme of trust in The Magician. Which characters struggle with this issue? Why? Which characters seem to be trustworthy? Why? Which are not?
3. Trace and analyze the theme of good versus evil, in The Magician. Who is "good"? Who is "evil"? Who decides what is good and what is evil? How is the theme portrayed in The Magician?
Essay Topic 2
There are a number of interesting questions raised by The Magician. Questions that Scott most likely want readers to consider and think through carefully. Discuss the following:
1. What does the term "author agenda" mean?
2. Name one idea/concept you think may have been a part of the Scott' agenda. Analyze that idea throughout the book and discuss Scott' probable agenda concerning that idea.
2. Do you think writers who have an agenda for writing should point it out in a preface?
3. How often do you think fiction is written with a clear agenda in mind by the author?
4. Research the life of Scott and see if/where his life may have influenced his writing.
Essay Topic 3
Characters are an integral and important part of almost all novels. Discuss the following:
1. Compare/contrast the characters of Josh and Sophie. How are they similar? How are they different? Is there a flaw in each of their personalities? Be specific and give examples.
2. Compare/contrast the characters of Flamel and Dee. How do they seem different? Which do you like more? Why? Which one seems more of a well-rounded character?
3. Thoroughly analyze how three of the secondary characters in The Magician help drive the plot and what their contribution is to the storyline. Are any of the secondary characters unnecessary? Indispensable? Which of the secondary characters are likable? Which are either unlikable or even despicable? Be specific and give examples.
This section contains 963 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)