|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. About what is Flamel afraid concerning the two pages Josh has of the Book of Abraham?
2. Who has a vendetta against Scathach?
3. What did the Nidhogg do the last time it was released?
4. How does Scathach get free of the Nidhogg?
5. What does Dee tell Machiavelli about Perenelle?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Joan and Flamel and Sophie do as they arrive at the Seine?
2. What wakes Josh and how does Scathach reassure him?
3. Describe what happens when Josh catches up with the Nidhogg.
4. Why does Josh raise an alarm?
5. What happens just as Flamel and Joan think they have saved Scathach?
6. How do Flamel, Joan and Sophie track Josh?
7. How does Sophie beat the Disir?
8. Who greets Sophie and Joan as they run down the front hall?
9. Why does Perenelle learn from Areop-Enap and what does Areop-Enap agree to do?
10. What has Flamel recovered from his old house and what does he want Scathach and Germain to do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Characters are an important part of what makes The Magician interesting. Discuss the following:
1. Thoroughly discuss and analyze Josh. What are his strengths? His weaknesses? How does he contribute to the plot? Is he a sympathetic character? Is he always likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
2. Thoroughly discuss and analyze Sophie. What are her strengths? Her weaknesses? How does she contribute to the plot? Is she a sympathetic character? Is she ever likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
3. Thoroughly discuss and analyze the character of Flamel. What are his strengths? His weaknesses? How does he contribute to the plot? Is he a sympathetic character? Is he ever likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
4. Thoroughly discuss and analyze the character of John Dee. What are his strengths? His weaknesses? How does he contribute to the plot? Is he a sympathetic character? Is he ever likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
Essay Topic 2
1. What is foreshadowing? How many incidences of foreshadowing are in The Magician? How does foreshadowing contribute to a book's suspense?
2. Discuss an example of foreshadow in The Magician including why you believe it is foreshadowing. Include examples from the book and your own life to illustrate your answer.
3. How do you think most people react to uncertainty in their lives? Use examples from The Magician and your own life to support your opinion.
Essay Topic 3
Dee is a servant of the Dark Elders who has been chasing Flamel for hundreds of years in an attempt to get the Book of Abraham. Dee wants to use the book to raise Danu Talis, the home of the Elders, and restore Earth to its previous splendor. However, Flamel knows that if this happens, the humans will be turned into slaves or killed for food for the Elders and he cannot allow this to happen. For this reason, Flamel has fought for hundreds of years to keep the book from the Dark Elders, even making himself immortal so that he can continue to protect the book. However, the spell that keeps Flamel and his wife, Perenelle, immortal must be taken once a month and the recipe is constantly changing. For this reason, Flamel needs to get the book back before the end of the month or he and Perenelle will die.
1. Discuss the implications that Dee, who is a human made immortal, wants to raise Danu Talis in spite of what that event would do to the human race. Use examples from The Magician and your own life to support your answer.
2. Discuss the problems that might arise when someone has been fighting for a cause for hundreds of years and has not yet been successful. How might that affect a person's character, emotions and behaviors, such as Flamel? Use examples from The Magician and your own life to support your answer.
3. Discuss how the relationship between Nicolas Flamel and Perenelle has influenced their behaviors throughout the hundreds of years in which they have been immortal and fighting the Dark Elders. Use examples from The Magician and your own life to support your answer.
This section contains 1,191 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)