|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Germain keep all his technological and musical "toys"?
2. What does Josh believe about Scathach?
3. What happens to endanger Scathach again?
4. What is the major disagreement Josh and Sophie have?
5. Why does Germain not know what is happening?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Josh raise an alarm?
2. How do Flamel, Joan and Sophie track Josh?
3. Why do Machiavelli and Dee jump out of their car and what do they watch?
4. Who does Machiavelli introduce John Dee to in discussing how to deal with Flamel and the others?
5. What does Sophie think has happened to Josh and what are Joan and Flamel's take on the situation?
6. Who greets Sophie and Joan as they run down the front hall?
7. What does Sophie do when she hears Josh and why can't Flamel help?
8. Where do Josh and St. Germain go and what does Germain give Josh?
9. What do Joan and Flamel and Sophie do as they arrive at the Seine?
10. What has Flamel recovered from his old house and what does he want Scathach and Germain to do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the following:
1. What do you think are the characteristics of a successful novel?
2. Analyze and discuss The Magician based upon the criteria you decide upon in #1 and judge if The Magician is a successful novel.
3. Do you think the criteria for a successful novel should be different if it is written for adults versus young adults? Why or why not? Would most adults consider The Magician a successful novel? What about young teens?
Essay Topic 2
Titles often play a vital role in making a person decide to read a particular book. Discuss the following:
1. Fully explain why you think The Magician is titled as such. Do you think it is the best title for the book? Why or why not? Can you think of a better title? Why would you choose it?
2. How important is a title in influencing you to consider reading a book? Explain your answer.
3. Do you think a title needs to have direct relevance to a book's content? Explain your answer.
4. Have you ever read a book that when you finished, you do not understand the relevance of the title? Does it discourage you from "trusting" that particular author again?
Essay Topic 3
Oftentimes, a book has more of a character-driven plot rather than action driven, and oftentimes the other way. Some books seem to balance the two. Discuss the following:
1. What do you think it means to say that a plot is character driven? Action driven?
2. How do you think a plot differs if it is character driven versus action driven?
3. Which type of plot do you find more interesting? Why?
4. Do you think it is possible to have a plot where action and character development share equal time? Why or why not.
5. What type of plot do you think The Magician is? Explain your response.
This section contains 995 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)