|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Of what does Joan assure Josh?
2. Where does St. Germain take Joan, Flamel, and Sophie?
3. What does Sophie think happened to Josh?
4. What happens at the spot where Josh stabs the Nidhogg?
5. Where do Machiavelli and Dee take Josh?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following:
1. Trace and analyze the theme of growth in The Magician. Consider the following questions as you write: What characters are most concerned with growth? Why? What are some symbols of growth? Symbols of rigidity? What characters seem rigid?
2. Trace and analyze the theme of trust in The Magician. Which characters struggle with this issue? Why? Which characters seem to be trustworthy? Why? Which are not?
3. Trace and analyze the theme of good versus evil, in The Magician. Who is "good"? Who is "evil"? Who decides what is good and what is evil? How is the theme portrayed in The Magician?
Essay Topic 2
Whenever reading a science fiction or fantasy novel, one must become familiar with new terminology that explains concepts or ideas that are not a part of the "real" world. In the case of The Magician, much of the setting may seem familiar to the reader (i.e. there are woods, mountains, rivers, oceans, etc), though there are new ideas and terms to learn. Discuss the following:
1. Find five terms that are a part of the world of The Magician that occur in the "real" world but are used differently in The Magician.
2. Define the words as used in in The Sorceress world and compare those five words as to how they are currently used in the American English language.
3. There are ways of learning about a new world or time when reading a science fiction or fantasy novel. Discuss the ways you were able to understand the world of The Magician. Did you have to look up any words? What does it mean to learn a word through its context? Do you have to do that in The Sorceress? What word(s)?
4. Were there any words you never really understood from The Magician? Which ones?
Essay Topic 3
Oftentimes, a book has more of a character-driven plot rather than action driven, and oftentimes the other way. Some books seem to balance the two. Discuss the following:
1. What do you think it means to say that a plot is character driven? Action driven?
2. How do you think a plot differs if it is character driven versus action driven?
3. Which type of plot do you find more interesting? Why?
4. Do you think it is possible to have a plot where action and character development share equal time? Why or why not.
5. What type of plot do you think The Magician is? Explain your response.
This section contains 2,624 words
(approx. 9 pages at 300 words per page)