|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when the Nidhogg is stabbed in the tongue?
2. Who arrives in Paris?
3. What do Machiavelli and Dee discuss?
4. What does Josh think the Disir is doing when she climbs the Nidhogg's back?
5. What is said about Nidhogg?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what happens when Josh catches up with the Nidhogg.
2. Who greets Sophie and Joan as they run down the front hall?
3. What does Perenelle discover as she makes her way into the bowels of Alcatraz?
4. What does Perenelle learn from de Ayala, and what does she ask of him?
5. What has Flamel recovered from his old house and what does he want Scathach and Germain to do?
6. What else does Perenelle discover in the cells of Alcatraz and what is following her?
7. How does Sophie beat the Disir?
8. Why does Perenelle learn from Areop-Enap and what does Areop-Enap agree to do?
9. How does Dee help Josh and why does Josh go with Dee?
10. What happens when Josh stabs the Nidhogg in the tongue and what does the Nidhogg do as a result?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Magician is one book in a series of novels involving Nicholas and the twins. Discuss the following.
1. What are a couple advantages of writing a series of novels about the same characters? Use examples.
2. What are a couple disadvantages of writing a series of novels about the same characters? Use examples.
3. Do you prefer to read a standalone book, or a series of books with the same main characters? Explain your response.
4. Do you think it is easier or more difficult (or about the same) to write a standalone book versus one in a series? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the following:
1. What do you think are the characteristics of a successful novel?
2. Analyze and discuss The Magician based upon the criteria you decide upon in #1 and judge if The Magician is a successful novel.
3. Do you think the criteria for a successful novel should be different if it is written for adults versus young adults? Why or why not? Would most adults consider The Magician a successful novel? What about young teens?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the following:
1. Who are the protagonists of the story and why?
2. Who are the antagonists of the story and why?
3. Which 3 secondary characters have the greatest impact on the plot?
4. Are any of the characters dispensable? Which ones? Why or why not?
5. Do you think this is a character-driven plot or an action-driven plot? Explain.
This section contains 867 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)