|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens after Dee and Machiavelli jump out of their car?
2. What do Machiavelli and Dee discuss?
3. What does Flamel want Scathach to teach Josh?
4. What does Perenelle ask Areop-Enap?
5. Why can't Flamel help when Josh is yelling for assistance?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Josh attack the Nidhogg and what does Scathach tell him to do?
2. What wakes Josh and how does Scathach reassure him?
3. Why does Josh raise an alarm?
4. How does Germain help Sophie with her fire magic and what is the result?
5. Why do Machiavelli and Dee jump out of their car and what do they watch?
6. What happens just as Flamel and Joan think they have saved Scathach?
7. How has Joan of Arc say she helped Sophie?
8. What does Sophie think has happened to Josh and what are Joan and Flamel's take on the situation?
9. What do Joan and Flamel and Sophie do as they arrive at the Seine?
10. What has Flamel recovered from his old house and what does he want Scathach and Germain to do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many novels, and perhaps a majority, of novels ends on a happy note. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think many (most?) people want what they perceive as a happy or good ending to a novel? Explain your opinion. Do you? Why or why not?
2. What are three reasons to read fiction? Discuss each one in light of The Magician and whether or not it fulfills all three, two or one of the reasons you mention. Give examples as to why The Magician is or is not successful in fulfilling the reasons you discuss.
3. Do you think reading solely for entertainment is as good a reason to read as any other? Why or why not? Can any work of fiction or non-fiction, no matter how poorly written, enlighten, teach, stimulate thought? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The Magician belongs to the fantasy genre. Discuss the following:
1. Define the literary term "genre" and give several examples of three other genres in addition to the fantasy genre.
2. Discuss two reasons why it might be useful to label a text by genre and two reasons it might be disadvantageous to label a text by genre.
3. What do you think is the difference between a fantasy and a historical novel mystery?
Essay Topic 3
Characters are an integral and important part of almost all novels. Discuss the following:
1. Compare/contrast the characters of Josh and Sophie. How are they similar? How are they different? Is there a flaw in each of their personalities? Be specific and give examples.
2. Compare/contrast the characters of Flamel and Dee. How do they seem different? Which do you like more? Why? Which one seems more of a well-rounded character?
3. Thoroughly analyze how three of the secondary characters in The Magician help drive the plot and what their contribution is to the storyline. Are any of the secondary characters unnecessary? Indispensable? Which of the secondary characters are likable? Which are either unlikable or even despicable? Be specific and give examples.
This section contains 975 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)