Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who collects Japanese Kabuki masks?
2. Where does Machiavelli think he'll be able to catch Flamel and the others?
3. Who covers some men in transmuted sugar?
4. What smell is associated with what Sophie does?
5. Who arrives at the Eiffel tower first?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Joan of Arc and Scathach know each other?
2. Where does Flamel leave the others and why does he want to make a phone call?
3. Where does Flamel find a way to contact the Witch of Endor and how does he explain his need to the proprietor?
4. What wakes Josh and how does Scathach reassure him?
5. What does the Witch of Endor tell Flamel?
6. What does Perenelle learn from de Ayala, and what does she ask of him?
7. How does Germain help Sophie with her fire magic and what is the result?
8. What does Mars do when he awakens Josh's powers and why do Mars do so?
9. Who has located Flamel's group at Sacre-Coeur and how has he done so?
10. How does Morrigan try to undermine Perenelle's emotional well-being and what is Perenelle's response?
Often, authors will write about "what they know," and sometimes knowing a little about the author makes the books more interesting. Discuss the following:
1. Research and give a brief biographical sketch of Michael Scott.
2. What in Scott's background may have helped him in writing The Magician? What may have influenced the way he depicts various characters and scenes?
3. Do you think there is always some of the author's own life in his/her novels? Why or why not? Give examples.
The Magician belongs to the fantasy genre. Discuss the following:
1. Define the literary term "genre" and give several examples of three other genres in addition to the fantasy genre.
2. Discuss two reasons why it might be useful to label a text by genre and two reasons it might be disadvantageous to label a text by genre.
3. What do you think is the difference between a fantasy and a historical novel mystery?
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in The Magician.
2. Trace and analyze one major theme of The Magician. How is the theme represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
3. Trace and analyze two secondary themes of The Magician. How are the themes represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
This section contains 806 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)