|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Dagon?
2. How does Flamel communicate his wish to Sophie?
3. What did Scathach once do for St. Germain's wife?
4. What does Flamel take from the wall of a building?
5. Where does Machiavelli think he'll be able to catch Flamel and the others?
Short Essay Questions
1. For what is Machiavelli searching his private files?
2. Why is Machiavelli angry when he sees Flamel's group and what does he do?
3. Where does Flamel find a way to contact the Witch of Endor and how does he explain his need to the proprietor?
4. About what does Josh worry when they first see a man coming towards them, but what is the outcome?
5. How do Josh and Sophie escape the diner and what does Josh suggest to Sophie that they do?
6. What is the significance of the Book of Abraham and who possesses the book?
7. Where does Flamel leave the others and why does he want to make a phone call?
8. What comes to life inside the church and how is it disposed of?
9. Why does Flamel ask St. Germain to create a diversion and what does Germain do?
10. When does Perenelle leave her cell in Alcatraz and what does she discover once she is free?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Magician belongs to the fantasy genre. Discuss the following:
1. Define the literary term "genre" and give several examples of three other genres in addition to the fantasy genre.
2. Discuss two reasons why it might be useful to label a text by genre and two reasons it might be disadvantageous to label a text by genre.
3. What do you think is the difference between a fantasy and a historical novel mystery?
Essay Topic 2
Oftentimes, a book has more of a character-driven plot rather than action driven, and oftentimes the other way. Some books seem to balance the two. Discuss the following:
1. What do you think it means to say that a plot is character driven? Action driven?
2. How do you think a plot differs if it is character driven versus action driven?
3. Which type of plot do you find more interesting? Why?
4. Do you think it is possible to have a plot where action and character development share equal time? Why or why not.
5. What type of plot do you think The Magician is? Explain your response.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in The Magician.
2. Trace and analyze one major theme of The Magician. How is the theme represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
3. Trace and analyze two secondary themes of The Magician. How are the themes represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
This section contains 895 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)