|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Machiavelli know of the intruders in the building where he is going?
2. Who is Sophie?
3. How does Flamel communicate his wish to Sophie?
4. Who arrives at the Eiffel tower first?
5. Where does Flamel go to make his call?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Dee angry with Machiavelli and what does Machiavelli have Dagon do?
2. Who has located Flamel's group at Sacre-Coeur and how has he done so?
3. When does Perenelle leave her cell in Alcatraz and what does she discover once she is free?
4. For what is Machiavelli searching his private files?
5. Why does Flamel ask St. Germain to create a diversion and what does Germain do?
6. How do Josh and Sophie escape the diner and what does Josh suggest to Sophie that they do?
7. Where do Flamel and his companions find themselves after traveling a ley line?
8. What comes to life inside the church and how is it disposed of?
9. Where does Flamel leave the others and why does he want to make a phone call?
10. Why is Niccolo Machiavelli at an auction?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the following:
1. What is a plot? What are the most important elements of a plot and their definition? Do all novels have a plot? Why or why not?
2. Write a brief synopsis of the plot of The Magician, identifying where the various elements of the plot occur (Exposition, rising action, climax, falling action, resolution or denouement). Do you find it difficult to identify the plot? Why or why not? What about the various elements of the plot?
3. Identify the major sub-plots and their elements in The Magician. (The subplots may not contain every element of a major plot). Do the sub-plots add to the main plot? Why or why not. Are the sub-plots interesting in and of themselves? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The Magician belongs to the fantasy genre. Discuss the following:
1. Define the literary term "genre" and give several examples of three other genres in addition to the fantasy genre.
2. Discuss two reasons why it might be useful to label a text by genre and two reasons it might be disadvantageous to label a text by genre.
3. What do you think is the difference between a fantasy and a historical novel mystery?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in The Magician.
2. Trace and analyze one major theme of The Magician. How is the theme represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
3. Trace and analyze two secondary themes of The Magician. How are the themes represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
This section contains 833 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)