|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Sophie and St. Germain's wife have in common?
2. Who confronts Scathach and the twins?
3. Who does Machiavelli tell to contact the Disir?
4. What happens after the men are covered in sugar?
5. What does the Comte de Saint-Germain try to make Sophie and Josh believe?
Short Essay Questions
1. How has Perenelle devised a way to escape imprisonment?
2. Who does Dagon tell Machiavelli are on the way?
3. Who has located Flamel's group at Sacre-Coeur and how has he done so?
4. Where is Perenelle and what is her situation?
5. Where do Flamel and his companions find themselves after traveling a ley line?
6. Where does Flamel find a way to contact the Witch of Endor and how does he explain his need to the proprietor?
7. What comes to life inside the church and how is it disposed of?
8. How do Joan of Arc and Scathach know each other?
9. For what is Machiavelli searching his private files?
10. How do Josh and Sophie escape the diner and what does Josh suggest to Sophie that they do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many novels, and perhaps a majority, of novels ends on a happy note. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think many (most?) people want what they perceive as a happy or good ending to a novel? Explain your opinion. Do you? Why or why not?
2. What are three reasons to read fiction? Discuss each one in light of The Magician and whether or not it fulfills all three, two or one of the reasons you mention. Give examples as to why The Magician is or is not successful in fulfilling the reasons you discuss.
3. Do you think reading solely for entertainment is as good a reason to read as any other? Why or why not? Can any work of fiction or non-fiction, no matter how poorly written, enlighten, teach, stimulate thought? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The Magician belongs to the fantasy genre. Discuss the following:
1. Define the literary term "genre" and give several examples of three other genres in addition to the fantasy genre.
2. Discuss two reasons why it might be useful to label a text by genre and two reasons it might be disadvantageous to label a text by genre.
3. What do you think is the difference between a fantasy and a historical novel mystery?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the following:
1. Who are the protagonists of the story and why?
2. Who are the antagonists of the story and why?
3. Which 3 secondary characters have the greatest impact on the plot?
4. Are any of the characters dispensable? Which ones? Why or why not?
5. Do you think this is a character-driven plot or an action-driven plot? Explain.
This section contains 922 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)