|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who collects Japanese Kabuki masks?
2. Where does Machiavelli think he'll be able to catch Flamel and the others?
3. Who covers some men in transmuted sugar?
4. What smell is associated with what Sophie does?
5. Who arrives at the Eiffel tower first?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Joan of Arc and Scathach know each other?
2. Where does Flamel leave the others and why does he want to make a phone call?
3. Where does Flamel find a way to contact the Witch of Endor and how does he explain his need to the proprietor?
4. What wakes Josh and how does Scathach reassure him?
5. What does the Witch of Endor tell Flamel?
6. What does Perenelle learn from de Ayala, and what does she ask of him?
7. How does Germain help Sophie with her fire magic and what is the result?
8. What does Mars do when he awakens Josh's powers and why do Mars do so?
9. Who has located Flamel's group at Sacre-Coeur and how has he done so?
10. How does Morrigan try to undermine Perenelle's emotional well-being and what is Perenelle's response?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the following:
1. What is a plot? What are the most important elements of a plot and their definition? Do all novels have a plot? Why or why not?
2. Write a brief synopsis of the plot of The Magician, identifying where the various elements of the plot occur (Exposition, rising action, climax, falling action, resolution or denouement). Do you find it difficult to identify the plot? Why or why not? What about the various elements of the plot?
3. Identify the major sub-plots and their elements in The Magician. (The subplots may not contain every element of a major plot). Do the sub-plots add to the main plot? Why or why not. Are the sub-plots interesting in and of themselves? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the following:
1. Who are the protagonists of the story and why?
2. Who are the antagonists of the story and why?
3. Which 3 secondary characters have the greatest impact on the plot?
4. Are any of the characters dispensable? Which ones? Why or why not?
5. Do you think this is a character-driven plot or an action-driven plot? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the following to discuss:
1. Choose two significant symbols and trace and analyze their appearance in The Magician. Are these universal symbols? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other symbols that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Scott chooses the symbols he does?
2. Choose two important metaphors and trace and analyze their appearance in the novel. Are these universal metaphors? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other metaphors that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Scott chooses the metaphors she does?
3. Discuss Scott's use (or lack ) of literary device (such as foreshadowing, clifthangers, deux ex machina, etc.) and how they add or detract from the story. Does Scott use too many or too few literary techniques? State which of the five major elements of fiction the literary device is related to (style, character, plot, setting, theme).
This section contains 3,069 words
(approx. 11 pages at 300 words per page)