|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Flamel take from the wall of a building?
2. Who is Vetala?
3. How does Sophie know Machiavelli is near?
4. What is Josh's response to Flamel's actions concerning the police officer?
5. How does Sophie think of Scathach?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Niccolo Machiavelli at an auction?
2. About what does Josh worry when they first see a man coming towards them, but what is the outcome?
3. Where does Flamel find a way to contact the Witch of Endor and how does he explain his need to the proprietor?
4. Where is Perenelle and what is her situation?
5. What comes to life inside the church and how is it disposed of?
6. Why is Dee angry with Machiavelli and what does Machiavelli have Dagon do?
7. How do Joan of Arc and Scathach know each other?
8. Who interrupts Machiavelli at the auction and what does the person want?
9. Where does Flamel leave the others and why does he want to make a phone call?
10. When does Perenelle leave her cell in Alcatraz and what does she discover once she is free?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the following to discuss:
1. Choose two significant symbols and trace and analyze their appearance in The Magician. Are these universal symbols? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other symbols that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Scott chooses the symbols he does?
2. Choose two important metaphors and trace and analyze their appearance in the novel. Are these universal metaphors? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other metaphors that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Scott chooses the metaphors she does?
3. Discuss Scott's use (or lack ) of literary device (such as foreshadowing, clifthangers, deux ex machina, etc.) and how they add or detract from the story. Does Scott use too many or too few literary techniques? State which of the five major elements of fiction the literary device is related to (style, character, plot, setting, theme).
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the following:
1. What is a plot? What are the most important elements of a plot and their definition? Do all novels have a plot? Why or why not?
2. Write a brief synopsis of the plot of The Magician, identifying where the various elements of the plot occur (Exposition, rising action, climax, falling action, resolution or denouement). Do you find it difficult to identify the plot? Why or why not? What about the various elements of the plot?
3. Identify the major sub-plots and their elements in The Magician. (The subplots may not contain every element of a major plot). Do the sub-plots add to the main plot? Why or why not. Are the sub-plots interesting in and of themselves? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Dee is a servant of the Dark Elders who has been chasing Flamel for hundreds of years in an attempt to get the Book of Abraham. Dee wants to use the book to raise Danu Talis, the home of the Elders, and restore Earth to its previous splendor. However, Flamel knows that if this happens, the humans will be turned into slaves or killed for food for the Elders and he cannot allow this to happen. For this reason, Flamel has fought for hundreds of years to keep the book from the Dark Elders, even making himself immortal so that he can continue to protect the book. However, the spell that keeps Flamel and his wife, Perenelle, immortal must be taken once a month and the recipe is constantly changing. For this reason, Flamel needs to get the book back before the end of the month or he and Perenelle will die.
1. Discuss the implications that Dee, who is a human made immortal, wants to raise Danu Talis in spite of what that event would do to the human race. Use examples from The Magician and your own life to support your answer.
2. Discuss the problems that might arise when someone has been fighting for a cause for hundreds of years and has not yet been successful. How might that affect a person's character, emotions and behaviors, such as Flamel? Use examples from The Magician and your own life to support your answer.
3. Discuss how the relationship between Nicolas Flamel and Perenelle has influenced their behaviors throughout the hundreds of years in which they have been immortal and fighting the Dark Elders. Use examples from The Magician and your own life to support your answer.
This section contains 1,246 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)