Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who collects Japanese Kabuki masks?
2. Where does Machiavelli think he'll be able to catch Flamel and the others?
3. Who covers some men in transmuted sugar?
4. What smell is associated with what Sophie does?
5. Who arrives at the Eiffel tower first?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Joan of Arc and Scathach know each other?
2. Where does Flamel leave the others and why does he want to make a phone call?
3. Where does Flamel find a way to contact the Witch of Endor and how does he explain his need to the proprietor?
4. What wakes Josh and how does Scathach reassure him?
5. What does the Witch of Endor tell Flamel?
6. What does Perenelle learn from de Ayala, and what does she ask of him?
7. How does Germain help Sophie with her fire magic and what is the result?
8. What does Mars do when he awakens Josh's powers and why do Mars do so?
9. Who has located Flamel's group at Sacre-Coeur and how has he done so?
10. How does Morrigan try to undermine Perenelle's emotional well-being and what is Perenelle's response?
Essay Topic 1
Characters are an important part of what makes The Magician interesting. Discuss the following:
1. Thoroughly discuss and analyze Josh. What are his strengths? His weaknesses? How does he contribute to the plot? Is he a sympathetic character? Is he always likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
2. Thoroughly discuss and analyze Sophie. What are her strengths? Her weaknesses? How does she contribute to the plot? Is she a sympathetic character? Is she ever likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
3. Thoroughly discuss and analyze the character of Flamel. What are his strengths? His weaknesses? How does he contribute to the plot? Is he a sympathetic character? Is he ever likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
4. Thoroughly discuss and analyze the character of John Dee. What are his strengths? His weaknesses? How does he contribute to the plot? Is he a sympathetic character? Is he ever likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
Essay Topic 2
Characters are an integral and important part of almost all novels. Discuss the following:
1. Compare/contrast the characters of Josh and Sophie. How are they similar? How are they different? Is there a flaw in each of their personalities? Be specific and give examples.
2. Compare/contrast the characters of Flamel and Dee. How do they seem different? Which do you like more? Why? Which one seems more of a well-rounded character?
3. Thoroughly analyze how three of the secondary characters in The Magician help drive the plot and what their contribution is to the storyline. Are any of the secondary characters unnecessary? Indispensable? Which of the secondary characters are likable? Which are either unlikable or even despicable? Be specific and give examples.
Essay Topic 3
Nicholas Flamel is in some ways a larger-than-life hero. Despite incredible odds, he usually comes out on top, in this book and in the others in the series. Discuss the following:
1. Does having a larger-than-life hero make that person less of a hero? In other words, which is more admirable--a hero who ultimately always "lands on his feet," or one who strives against impossible odds and doesn't succeed?
2. Does a character have to be successful in order to be a hero? Explain your answer.
3. Choose one other character besides Rand who you might call a hero/heroine and explain why you choose that person.
4. Does every work of fiction have to have a hero? Explain your answer.
This section contains 1,002 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)