|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Perenelle notice throughout Alcatraz?
2. What happens after the men are covered in sugar?
3. What does Dee order Machiavelli to do?
4. What is the DGSE?
5. What has happened to Perenelle's magic?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who has located Flamel's group at Sacre-Coeur and how has he done so?
2. How do Josh and Sophie escape the diner and what does Josh suggest to Sophie that they do?
3. How do Joan of Arc and Scathach know each other?
4. Who does Dagon tell Machiavelli are on the way?
5. Where does Flamel leave the others and why does he want to make a phone call?
6. What does the Witch of Endor tell Flamel?
7. What do Sophie and Scathach and Flamel and Josh talk about as they walk toward the Eiffel Tower?
8. For what is Machiavelli searching his private files?
9. Why is Machiavelli angry when he sees Flamel's group and what does he do?
10. What does the opening of the novel tell the reader?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the following:
1. Who are the protagonists of the story and why?
2. Who are the antagonists of the story and why?
3. Which 3 secondary characters have the greatest impact on the plot?
4. Are any of the characters dispensable? Which ones? Why or why not?
5. Do you think this is a character-driven plot or an action-driven plot? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Whenever reading a science fiction or fantasy novel, one must become familiar with new terminology that explains concepts or ideas that are not a part of the "real" world. In the case of The Magician, much of the setting may seem familiar to the reader (i.e. there are woods, mountains, rivers, oceans, etc), though there are new ideas and terms to learn. Discuss the following:
1. Find five terms that are a part of the world of The Magician that occur in the "real" world but are used differently in The Magician.
2. Define the words as used in in The Sorceress world and compare those five words as to how they are currently used in the American English language.
3. There are ways of learning about a new world or time when reading a science fiction or fantasy novel. Discuss the ways you were able to understand the world of The Magician. Did you have to look up any words? What does it mean to learn a word through its context? Do you have to do that in The Sorceress? What word(s)?
4. Were there any words you never really understood from The Magician? Which ones?
Essay Topic 3
The Magician is one book in a series of novels involving Nicholas and the twins. Discuss the following.
1. What are a couple advantages of writing a series of novels about the same characters? Use examples.
2. What are a couple disadvantages of writing a series of novels about the same characters? Use examples.
3. Do you prefer to read a standalone book, or a series of books with the same main characters? Explain your response.
4. Do you think it is easier or more difficult (or about the same) to write a standalone book versus one in a series? Explain your answer.
This section contains 962 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)