|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose memories does Sophie possess?
2. What does Flamel take from the wall of a building?
3. What do Sophie and Josh learn about Germain's wife?
4. Josh confronts Flamel about ____________.
5. What did Scathach once do for St. Germain's wife?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where is Perenelle and what is her situation?
2. What comes to life inside the church and how is it disposed of?
3. Why is Dee angry with Machiavelli and what does Machiavelli have Dagon do?
4. When does Perenelle leave her cell in Alcatraz and what does she discover once she is free?
5. To whom is Germain married and what does his wife have in common with Sophie?
6. How does Flamel escape a group of police officers?
7. About what does Josh worry when they first see a man coming towards them, but what is the outcome?
8. Why is Niccolo Machiavelli at an auction?
9. Why is Machiavelli angry when he sees Flamel's group and what does he do?
10. How do Josh and Sophie escape the diner and what does Josh suggest to Sophie that they do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many readers of fiction place themselves in the position of one character, wondering if they would do the same thing as that character. Discuss the following:
1. Do you think one of the values of literature is to serve as a reflection of oneself? Why or why not?
2. Socrates said "Know thyself." How can reading a book such as The Magician help a reader to know him/herself? Do you find yourself reflecting on your own character and abilities when reading The Magician? Why or why not?
3. Choose one specific incident in The Magician to discuss and compare one of the characters' response to how you think you would respond.
Essay Topic 2
Many novels, and perhaps a majority, of novels ends on a happy note. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think many (most?) people want what they perceive as a happy or good ending to a novel? Explain your opinion. Do you? Why or why not?
2. What are three reasons to read fiction? Discuss each one in light of The Magician and whether or not it fulfills all three, two or one of the reasons you mention. Give examples as to why The Magician is or is not successful in fulfilling the reasons you discuss.
3. Do you think reading solely for entertainment is as good a reason to read as any other? Why or why not? Can any work of fiction or non-fiction, no matter how poorly written, enlighten, teach, stimulate thought? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
1. What is foreshadowing? How many incidences of foreshadowing are in The Magician? How does foreshadowing contribute to a book's suspense?
2. Discuss an example of foreshadow in The Magician including why you believe it is foreshadowing. Include examples from the book and your own life to illustrate your answer.
3. How do you think most people react to uncertainty in their lives? Use examples from The Magician and your own life to support your opinion.
This section contains 979 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)