|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Scathach once do for St. Germain's wife?
2. What does Perenelle notice throughout Alcatraz?
3. What is the DGSE?
4. What does Flamel do when they are nearly attacked by a police officer?
5. How does Josh find himself in a closet?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what happens when Josh catches up with the Nidhogg.
2. How do Flamel, Joan and Sophie track Josh?
3. What wakes Josh and how does Scathach reassure him?
4. What else does Perenelle discover in the cells of Alcatraz and what is following her?
5. Who has located Flamel's group at Sacre-Coeur and how has he done so?
6. How do Josh and Sophie overcome the attack at the exit to the catacombs?
7. What does Scathach make Sophie promise and why does Scathach try to distract Sophie?
8. Who interrupts Machiavelli at the auction and what does the person want?
9. How does Germain help Sophie with her fire magic and what is the result?
10. Why is Dee angry with Machiavelli and what does Machiavelli have Dagon do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1. What is foreshadowing? How many incidences of foreshadowing are in The Magician? How does foreshadowing contribute to a book's suspense?
2. Discuss an example of foreshadow in The Magician including why you believe it is foreshadowing. Include examples from the book and your own life to illustrate your answer.
3. How do you think most people react to uncertainty in their lives? Use examples from The Magician and your own life to support your opinion.
Essay Topic 2
Characters are an important part of what makes The Magician interesting. Discuss the following:
1. Thoroughly discuss and analyze Josh. What are his strengths? His weaknesses? How does he contribute to the plot? Is he a sympathetic character? Is he always likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
2. Thoroughly discuss and analyze Sophie. What are her strengths? Her weaknesses? How does she contribute to the plot? Is she a sympathetic character? Is she ever likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
3. Thoroughly discuss and analyze the character of Flamel. What are his strengths? His weaknesses? How does he contribute to the plot? Is he a sympathetic character? Is he ever likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
4. Thoroughly discuss and analyze the character of John Dee. What are his strengths? His weaknesses? How does he contribute to the plot? Is he a sympathetic character? Is he ever likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the following:
1. What do you think are the characteristics of a successful novel?
2. Analyze and discuss The Magician based upon the criteria you decide upon in #1 and judge if The Magician is a successful novel.
3. Do you think the criteria for a successful novel should be different if it is written for adults versus young adults? Why or why not? Would most adults consider The Magician a successful novel? What about young teens?
This section contains 3,148 words
(approx. 11 pages at 300 words per page)