|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Garden.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Marx writes that America offered men a middle state between what and what in the eighteenth century?
(a) Civilization and primitive life.
(b) Corruption and innocence.
(c) Comfort and exploration.
(d) Wilderness and domestication.
2. When did Robert Beverly write his history of Virginia?
3. What did Hawthorne describe in the piece Marx analyzed?
(a) Living in the woods.
(b) Indian wars.
(c) A reverie in the woods.
(d) A whale hunt.
4. What does Marx say is the leading image of industrialism?
(a) The steamship.
(b) The steam locomotive.
(c) The factory.
(d) The cotton gin.
5. What piece by Nathaniel Hawthorne does Marx treat as emblematic of American pastoralism?
(a) The Marble Faun.
(b) Mosses from an Old Manse.
(c) Sleepy Hollow Notes.
(d) The Celestial Railroad.
Short Answer Questions
1. What part of 'The Tempest' held special interest for Marx?
2. Which characters are engaged in the final struggle in Shakespeare's 'The Tempest'?
3. What human structure did Barlowe describe America in terms of?
4. What does Marx say Beverly felt about the New World, by the end of his history?
5. What desire does Marx describe as the opposite of Barlowe's view?
This section contains 252 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)