|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Garden.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the first reaction Marx describes to industrialism?
(d) Feelings of alienation.
2. What did Hawthorne describe in the piece Marx analyzed?
(a) A reverie in the woods.
(b) Indian wars.
(c) Living in the woods.
(d) A whale hunt.
3. Who typically espouses the sentimental pastoral ideal?
(d) Urban planners.
4. What threat to the country's moral superiority had developed by Jefferson's time?
(b) Public transit.
(c) Enclosure laws.
(d) The end of slavery.
5. What other American literature does Marx say exemplifies the three-stage theme he identified in Shakespeare's 'The Tempest'?
(a) Morrison's Beloved.
(b) Stowe's Uncle Tom's Cabin.
(c) Twain's Huckleberry Finn.
(d) Poe's The Fall of the House of Usher.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where had Barlowe traveled to?
2. What associations were suggested by Marx's leading symbol of industrialism?
3. How have liberal thinkers portrayed the sentimental pastoral ideal, in Marx's account?
4. When did Thomas Jefferson publish his Notes on Virginia?
5. What does Marx say Shakespeare's 'The Tempest' demonstrates?
This section contains 221 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)