|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Garden.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What desire does Marx describe as the opposite of Barlowe's view?
(a) The desire to convert the savages.
(b) The desire to know the earth mystically.
(c) The desire to tame the landscape.
(d) The desire to make the earth productive.
2. When did complex pastoral ideology come into existence?
(a) With colonization.
(b) Nineteenth century.
(c) Twentieth century.
(d) Eighteenth century.
3. What human structure did Barlowe describe America in terms of?
4. What was it that Jefferson described as a threat to the moral center of democracy?
(a) Native Americans.
(b) European military power.
5. How have liberal thinkers portrayed the sentimental pastoral ideal, in Marx's account?
(a) As a requirement for a green society.
(b) As a hindrance to progress.
(c) As the path to the future.
(d) As a harmless fantasy.
Short Answer Questions
1. For what occasion did Jefferson write his Notes on Virginia?
2. What part of 'The Tempest' held special interest for Marx?
3. How did Arthur Barlowe describe America?
4. What form of art had reached a peak in Thomas Jefferson's time?
5. Marx writes that America offered men a middle state between what and what in the eighteenth century?
This section contains 274 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)