|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Garden.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What economic consequence does the sentimental pastoral ideal engender?
(a) Low taxes.
(b) Regulation of speculative investments.
(c) Farm subsidies.
(d) Tariffs on imported manufactured goods.
2. What does pastoral ideology conflict with, in Marx's account?
(a) Extractive industries.
(c) The reality of history.
(d) Industrial modernism.
3. What do Americans abandon when they are under the influence of the sentimental pastoral ideal?
(a) Urban areas.
(b) Small towns.
(c) Outdated buildings.
(d) Urban parks.
4. What did the settlers find appealing about the New World?
(a) It was theirs by right of conquest.
(b) Everything was free for the taking.
(c) It was unsoiled by civilization.
(d) They could buy land so cheap from the natives.
5. For what occasion did Jefferson write his Notes on Virginia?
(a) As an inventory when he was governor.
(b) Upon his travels to Europe.
(c) For leisure.
(d) At a French Diplomat's request.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the most important part of Shakespeare's 'The Tempest', in Marx's estimation?
2. What did Hawthorne describe in the piece Marx analyzed?
3. What does Marx say is the 'sentimental' pastoral ideal?
4. How did Barlowe describe the indigenous people he encountered?
5. What were Beverly's sources for his history of Virginia?
This section contains 257 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)