|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Garden.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what art does Marx see pastoral ideology contributing to a more realistic outcome for American society?
2. America was depicted as a paradise that was also what, in Marx's account?
(a) A place of hardship.
(b) A refuge.
(c) A source for good in the Old World.
(d) A place of redemption.
3. What would people live on, in Gonzalo's ideal world?
(a) Nature's bounty.
(b) Imported grain.
(c) Money from exports.
(d) Natives' produce.
4. For what occasion did Jefferson write his Notes on Virginia?
(a) For leisure.
(b) As an inventory when he was governor.
(c) Upon his travels to Europe.
(d) At a French Diplomat's request.
5. What were Beverly's sources for his history of Virginia?
(a) The sea captains' log books.
(b) Nautical charts.
(c) The settlers' notes and journals.
(d) The King's records.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the first stage of life that Marx describes through Shakespeare's 'The Tempest'?
2. What does Marx say is the central theme of pastoral literature?
3. What did Jefferson want to keep in Europe?
4. What human structure did Barlowe describe America in terms of?
5. How had feelings about nature changed by Jefferson's time?
This section contains 251 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)