|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Garden.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When did a uniquely American pastoral image emerge?
(a) At colonization.
(b) Nineteenth century.
(c) Seventeenth century.
(d) Eighteenth century.
2. When did the assault on American pastoralism begin, in Marx's account?
3. What does Marx say is unique about pastoralism in the industrial age in America?
(a) Southern plantations were the first farms to perform agriculture on an industrial scale.
(b) People stopped living on farms in the late 1700s.
(c) The railroad blurred the boundary between city and country.
(d) People began to be able to visit the country from the city.
4. What did Beverly describe changing in the New World as a result of European settlement?
(a) Beverly saw the whites corrupt the natives.
(b) Beverly saw the natives learn to want drink and escapism as a result of contact with settlers.
(c) Beverly saw human nature become greedy when resources were cheap.
(d) Beverly saw the whites corrupt the natives.
5. For what occasion did Jefferson write his Notes on Virginia?
(a) At a French Diplomat's request.
(b) Upon his travels to Europe.
(c) For leisure.
(d) As an inventory when he was governor.
Short Answer Questions
1. What would people live on, in Gonzalo's ideal world?
2. Why did Beverly feel as he did by the end of his work?
3. How had feelings about nature changed by Jefferson's time?
4. How does Marx characterize Prospero and members of the court?
5. What did the settlers find appealing about the New World?
This section contains 352 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)