|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Garden.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does pastoral ideology conflict with, in Marx's account?
(a) Industrial modernism.
(c) Extractive industries.
(d) The reality of history.
2. How did Barlowe describe the indigenous people he encountered?
(a) As barbaric and cruel.
(b) As simple and virtuous.
(c) As evil and plotting.
(d) As naïve and untrustworthy.
3. What does an individual gain by passing through these three spatial stages?
(a) A high ground in terms of religious experience.
(b) A middle ground between city and country.
(d) Legitimacy as an American.
4. How did the first settlers see Virginia, in Beverly's history?
(a) As a promised land.
(b) As a purgatory.
(c) As a pestilential swamp.
(d) As a desert.
5. How had the Enlightenment changed pastoral thought, in Marx's account?
(a) Engineers could shape nature more efficiently.
(b) Colonization had subdued the natives and killed off predatory animals.
(c) Nature commanded new respect.
(d) Factories had subjugated nature.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Thomas Jefferson publish his Notes on Virginia?
2. Which leisure activity does Marx identify as revealing the influence of the sentimental pastoral ideal?
3. Who typically espouses the sentimental pastoral ideal?
4. What is the second stage of life that Marx describes through Shakespeare's 'The Tempest'?
5. What does Marx point out was formed as a result of the Revolutionary War?
This section contains 226 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)