|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Garden.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the third stage of life that Marx describes through Shakespeare's 'The Tempest'?
(a) Return to home.
(b) Return to childhood.
(c) Return to nature.
(d) Return to the city.
2. What were Beverly's sources for his history of Virginia?
(a) The King's records.
(b) The settlers' notes and journals.
(c) Nautical charts.
(d) The sea captains' log books.
3. What is the heart of the pastoral ideal?
(a) To transform nature into an ordered place.
(b) To live in the lap of nature.
(c) To turn nature into an industrial resource.
(d) To live out a primitive existence.
4. What literary work did Barlowe echo with his account of his travels?
(a) Paradise Lost.
(b) The Iliad.
(c) Paradise Regained.
5. What does Marx relate Shakespeare's 'The Tempest' to?
(a) Natural spirituality.
(b) Political intrigue.
(c) American colonization.
(d) Indigenous people.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who typically espouses the sentimental pastoral ideal?
2. What did Jefferson ultimately conclude about industrialism?
3. When did the pastoral idea become part of American culture?
4. How had feelings about nature changed by Jefferson's time?
5. What part of 'The Tempest' held special interest for Marx?
This section contains 284 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)