|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Garden.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do liberal thinkers say the sentimental pastoral ideal results in, according to Marx?
(a) Reactionary philosophy.
(b) Peace movements.
(c) Industrial developments.
(d) Ignorance and apathy.
2. What did Beverly describe changing in the New World as a result of European settlement?
(a) Beverly saw the natives learn to want drink and escapism as a result of contact with settlers.
(b) Beverly saw the whites corrupt the natives.
(c) Beverly saw the whites corrupt the natives.
(d) Beverly saw human nature become greedy when resources were cheap.
3. What does Marx say is the leading image of industrialism?
(a) The steam locomotive.
(b) The factory.
(c) The steamship.
(d) The cotton gin.
4. What literary work did Barlowe echo with his account of his travels?
(a) Paradise Lost.
(b) The Iliad.
(c) Paradise Regained.
5. How have the relationships between the city and country changed in American industrial pastoralism?
(a) They are no longer exclusive.
(b) They are no longer interdependent.
(c) They are both monetized.
(d) They are both reinvented by machines.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the third stage of life that Marx describes through Shakespeare's 'The Tempest'?
2. When was that work written, which Barlowe likely influenced--and which also influenced Shakespeare in its description of a pastoral paradise?
3. What writer does Marx credit with beginning the theme of pastoralism in literature?
4. Where was Hawthorne when he wrote the piece Marx analyzed?
5. What contradictory aspects of the American landscape came to characterize American pastoralism?
This section contains 258 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)