|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Garden.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the second stage of life that Marx describes through Shakespeare's 'The Tempest'?
(a) Return to the city.
(b) Life in nature.
(c) Return to nature.
(d) Life in the city.
2. What would Gonzalo's ideal be characterized by?
(a) No need for language.
(b) No work.
(c) No disparity between rich and poor.
(d) No government.
3. What was nature's role supposed to be in the nation's future, by Jefferson's time?
(a) Natural resources were going to be a source of wealth for generations.
(b) Agriculture was going to supply the nation's wealth.
(c) Wilderness was going to redeem the nation's soul.
(d) Virgin territory was going absorb all the overflowing east-coast cities.
4. In what art does Marx see pastoral ideology contributing to a more realistic outcome for American society?
5. What is the heart of the pastoral ideal?
(a) To turn nature into an industrial resource.
(b) To live in the lap of nature.
(c) To transform nature into an ordered place.
(d) To live out a primitive existence.
Short Answer Questions
1. What American literature does Marx say exemplifies the three-stage theme he identified in Shakespeare's 'The Tempest'?
2. What does the end of Shakespeare's 'The Tempest' demonstrate, in Marx's interpretation?
3. What secondary plot does Marx see as important for his purposes?
4. What is the second reaction Marx describes to industrialism?
5. How have the relationships between the city and country changed in American industrial pastoralism?
This section contains 302 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)