|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Garden.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What human structure did Barlowe describe America in terms of?
2. What aspects of European civilization were the Virginia settlers glad to leave behind, in Beverly's history?
(a) Dogmas and conflicts over religion.
(b) Vanities and conflicts over property.
(c) Plagues and uncertainty over medical treatment.
(d) Suppression of religious expression.
3. America was depicted as a paradise that was also what, in Marx's account?
(a) A source for good in the Old World.
(b) A place of hardship.
(c) A refuge.
(d) A place of redemption.
4. What is the second stage of life that Marx describes through Shakespeare's 'The Tempest'?
(a) Life in nature.
(b) Life in the city.
(c) Return to nature.
(d) Return to the city.
5. What did the new world fail to offer newcomers, in typical accounts?
Short Answer Questions
1. How did the first settlers see Virginia, in Beverly's history?
2. How have liberal thinkers portrayed the sentimental pastoral ideal, in Marx's account?
3. How did Arthur Barlowe describe America?
4. How do Americans express their sentimental pastoral ideal?
5. When did Thomas Jefferson publish his Notes on Virginia?
This section contains 236 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)