|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Garden.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What associations were suggested by Marx's leading symbol of industrialism?
(a) Power, productivity, and order.
(b) Fire, smoke and speed.
(c) Steam, progress, and control over the ocean.
(d) Efficiency, control, and profit.
2. What possibility did Marx hear resonating from the Crevecoeur's Letters from an American Farmer?
(a) The promise that the wilderness can be domesticated.
(b) The promise that nature can be civilized without being corrupted.
(c) The promise that a man can change his life.
(d) The promise that the city can be redeemed by the country.
3. Which characters are engaged in the final struggle in Shakespeare's 'The Tempest'?
(a) Gonzalo and Prospero.
(b) Ferdinand and Miranda.
(c) Miranda and Caliban.
(d) Gonzalo and Ferdinand.
4. What is the third stage of life that Marx describes through Shakespeare's 'The Tempest'?
(a) Return to home.
(b) Return to the city.
(c) Return to childhood.
(d) Return to nature.
5. What was nature's role supposed to be in the nation's future, by Jefferson's time?
(a) Agriculture was going to supply the nation's wealth.
(b) Virgin territory was going absorb all the overflowing east-coast cities.
(c) Wilderness was going to redeem the nation's soul.
(d) Natural resources were going to be a source of wealth for generations.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a consequence of the sentimental pastoral ideal?
2. What would Gonzalo's ideal be characterized by?
3. What writer does Marx credit with beginning the theme of pastoralism in literature?
4. What does pastoral ideology conflict with, in Marx's account?
5. What threat to the country's moral superiority had developed by Jefferson's time?
This section contains 280 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)