|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Garden.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Marx say Beverly felt about the New World, by the end of his history?
(a) Cautiously optimistic.
2. Where had Barlowe traveled to?
3. How did Arthur Barlowe describe America?
(a) As a tropical paradise.
(b) As a land of plenty.
(c) As a refuge from Europe.
(d) As a harsh land.
4. How had feelings about nature changed by Jefferson's time?
(a) Nature had become a mirror for man's corrupt soul.
(b) Nature seemed benevolent compared with the disordered city.
(c) Nature seemed chaotic and devilish compared with civilization.
(d) Nature seemed divine and benevolent compared with corrupt man.
5. What was Jefferson's ideal of equality democracy founded on?
(a) A government that encouraged self-reliance.
(b) Fostering entrepreneurship.
(c) The free market.
(d) Protecting individuals from industrialism.
Short Answer Questions
1. What part of 'The Tempest' held special interest for Marx?
2. What is the heart of the pastoral ideal?
3. What were the keys to the American landscape, in the views that were the opposite of Barlowe's?
4. How did Barlowe describe the indigenous people he encountered?
5. What aspects of European civilization were the Virginia settlers glad to leave behind, in Beverly's history?
This section contains 294 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)