|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Garden.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the most important part of Shakespeare's 'The Tempest', in Marx's estimation?
(a) A conflict over territory.
(b) An engagement and marriage.
(c) A conflict over how to use resources.
(d) A political power struggle.
2. What other American literature does Marx say exemplifies the three-stage theme he identified in Shakespeare's 'The Tempest'?
(a) Twain's Huckleberry Finn.
(b) Stowe's Uncle Tom's Cabin.
(c) Poe's The Fall of the House of Usher.
(d) Morrison's Beloved.
3. What kind of lifestyle does Marx say Americans want?
(c) More complex.
(d) More elegant.
4. What associations were suggested by Marx's leading symbol of industrialism?
(a) Power, productivity, and order.
(b) Efficiency, control, and profit.
(c) Steam, progress, and control over the ocean.
(d) Fire, smoke and speed.
5. How had feelings about nature changed by Jefferson's time?
(a) Nature seemed chaotic and devilish compared with civilization.
(b) Nature seemed divine and benevolent compared with corrupt man.
(c) Nature had become a mirror for man's corrupt soul.
(d) Nature seemed benevolent compared with the disordered city.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was nature's role supposed to be in the nation's future, by Jefferson's time?
2. When did complex pastoral ideology come into existence?
3. What did Jefferson want to keep in Europe?
4. What was the opposite of Barlowe's experience in his travels?
5. What is the third stage of life that Marx describes through Shakespeare's 'The Tempest'?
This section contains 286 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)