|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Garden.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does an individual gain by passing through these three spatial stages?
(a) A high ground in terms of religious experience.
(c) Legitimacy as an American.
(d) A middle ground between city and country.
2. What kind of lifestyle does Marx say Americans want?
(c) More complex.
(d) More elegant.
3. Which leisure activity does Marx identify as revealing the influence of the sentimental pastoral ideal?
4. What secondary plot does Marx see as important for his purposes?
(a) The struggle for poetic expression.
(b) The conflict over resource use.
(c) The struggle for domination over nature.
(d) The conflict over resource use.
5. What do Americans abandon when they are under the influence of the sentimental pastoral ideal?
(a) Outdated buildings.
(b) Small towns.
(c) Urban parks.
(d) Urban areas.
Short Answer Questions
1. What sources does Marx suppose Shakespeare read for 'The Tempest'?
2. Marx writes that America offered men a middle state between what and what in the eighteenth century?
3. What was nature's role supposed to be in the nation's future, by Jefferson's time?
4. What threat to the country's moral superiority had developed by Jefferson's time?
5. What did Jefferson ultimately conclude about industrialism?
This section contains 295 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)