|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Garden.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Marx say is unique about pastoralism in the industrial age in America?
(a) The railroad blurred the boundary between city and country.
(b) Southern plantations were the first farms to perform agriculture on an industrial scale.
(c) People began to be able to visit the country from the city.
(d) People stopped living on farms in the late 1700s.
2. What does Marx say Beverly felt about the New World, by the end of his history?
(b) Cautiously optimistic.
3. What is the first reaction Marx describes to industrialism?
(b) Feelings of alienation.
4. What did Beverly describe changing in the New World as a result of European settlement?
(a) Beverly saw the whites corrupt the natives.
(b) Beverly saw human nature become greedy when resources were cheap.
(c) Beverly saw the natives learn to want drink and escapism as a result of contact with settlers.
(d) Beverly saw the whites corrupt the natives.
5. What is the third stage of life that Marx describes through Shakespeare's 'The Tempest'?
(a) Return to childhood.
(b) Return to home.
(c) Return to the city.
(d) Return to nature.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the heart of the pastoral ideal?
2. What economic consequence does the sentimental pastoral ideal engender?
3. What aspects of European civilization were the Virginia settlers glad to leave behind, in Beverly's history?
4. What part of 'The Tempest' held special interest for Marx?
5. What human structure did Barlowe describe America in terms of?
This section contains 330 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)