|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Garden.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Marx say is the 'sentimental' pastoral ideal?
(a) Harnessing natural resources.
(b) The savages' harmony with nature.
(c) Domesticating wild things.
(d) Green, rural lifestyle.
2. How does Marx describe the encroachment of industrialism?
(a) As inevitable.
(b) As unnatural.
(c) As preventable.
(d) As natural.
3. What aspects of European civilization were the Virginia settlers glad to leave behind, in Beverly's history?
(a) Vanities and conflicts over property.
(b) Dogmas and conflicts over religion.
(c) Plagues and uncertainty over medical treatment.
(d) Suppression of religious expression.
4. Which characters are engaged in the final struggle in Shakespeare's 'The Tempest'?
(a) Gonzalo and Prospero.
(b) Gonzalo and Ferdinand.
(c) Miranda and Caliban.
(d) Ferdinand and Miranda.
5. What was Jefferson's ideal of equality democracy founded on?
(a) A government that encouraged self-reliance.
(b) The free market.
(c) Fostering entrepreneurship.
(d) Protecting individuals from industrialism.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did the pastoral idea become part of American culture?
2. What is the first stage of life that Marx describes through Shakespeare's 'The Tempest'?
3. For what occasion did Jefferson write his Notes on Virginia?
4. How did Barlowe describe the indigenous people he encountered?
5. How have the relationships between the city and country changed in American industrial pastoralism?
This section contains 261 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)