|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Garden.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the settlers find appealing about the New World?
(a) It was unsoiled by civilization.
(b) It was theirs by right of conquest.
(c) Everything was free for the taking.
(d) They could buy land so cheap from the natives.
2. What was nature's role supposed to be in the nation's future, by Jefferson's time?
(a) Virgin territory was going absorb all the overflowing east-coast cities.
(b) Agriculture was going to supply the nation's wealth.
(c) Wilderness was going to redeem the nation's soul.
(d) Natural resources were going to be a source of wealth for generations.
3. What does an individual gain by passing through these three spatial stages?
(b) Legitimacy as an American.
(c) A high ground in terms of religious experience.
(d) A middle ground between city and country.
4. What were the keys to the American landscape, in the views that were the opposite of Barlowe's?
(a) Generosity and sharing.
(b) Conservation and reservations.
(c) Hard work and sacrifice.
(d) Development and expansion.
5. When did Thomas Jefferson publish his Notes on Virginia?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Marx say is the central theme of pastoral literature?
2. What literary work did Barlowe echo with his account of his travels?
3. For what occasion did Jefferson write his Notes on Virginia?
4. How did the first settlers see Virginia, in Beverly's history?
5. America was depicted as a paradise that was also what, in Marx's account?
This section contains 295 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)