|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Garden.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Marx writes that America offered men a middle state between what and what in the eighteenth century?
(a) Comfort and exploration.
(b) Corruption and innocence.
(c) Civilization and primitive life.
(d) Wilderness and domestication.
2. What threat to the country's moral superiority had developed by Jefferson's time?
(a) Enclosure laws.
(c) The end of slavery.
(d) Public transit.
3. What aspects of European civilization were the Virginia settlers glad to leave behind, in Beverly's history?
(a) Suppression of religious expression.
(b) Vanities and conflicts over property.
(c) Plagues and uncertainty over medical treatment.
(d) Dogmas and conflicts over religion.
4. Why did Beverly feel as he did by the end of his work?
(a) He thought that the New World could improve the natives.
(b) He thought the New World would improve the settlers.
(c) He thought that the settlers and natives could work together.
(d) He saw a unique opportunity in the New World.
5. What possibility did Marx hear resonating from the Crevecoeur's Letters from an American Farmer?
(a) The promise that nature can be civilized without being corrupted.
(b) The promise that the city can be redeemed by the country.
(c) The promise that the wilderness can be domesticated.
(d) The promise that a man can change his life.
Short Answer Questions
1. What would Gonzalo's ideal be characterized by?
2. How did Jefferson describe the representative man in Notes on Virginia?
3. What does Marx say is the leading image of industrialism?
4. What kind of existence did Barlowe describe having encountered in his travels?
5. What is the second reaction Marx describes to industrialism?
This section contains 292 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)