|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Garden.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Jefferson's time, how did the eastern farmers come to see nature, as a result of their work?
(a) As an improved nature.
(b) As a raw material.
(c) As a domestic industry.
(d) As a new nature.
2. What does the end of Shakespeare's 'The Tempest' demonstrate, in Marx's interpretation?
(a) Balance between men and women.
(b) Justice in righting old wrongs.
(c) Fairness in dividing territory.
(d) Balance between man and nature.
3. What does Marx say is the central theme of pastoral literature?
(a) The desire to merge with nature.
(b) The interruption of woodland peace.
(c) The imperative to transform nature.
(d) The futility of fighting nature.
4. What secondary plot does Marx see as important for his purposes?
(a) The conflict over resource use.
(b) The struggle for domination over nature.
(c) The conflict over resource use.
(d) The struggle for poetic expression.
5. What did Jefferson want to keep in Europe?
Short Answer Questions
1. What piece by Nathaniel Hawthorne does Marx treat as emblematic of American pastoralism?
2. How were frontiersmen typically portrayed by easterners in Jefferson's time?
3. What threat to the country's moral superiority had developed by Jefferson's time?
4. What does Marx point out was formed as a result of the Revolutionary War?
5. What was the opposite of Barlowe's experience in his travels?
This section contains 258 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)