|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Garden.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How have the relationships between the city and country changed in American industrial pastoralism?
(a) They are no longer exclusive.
(b) They are both monetized.
(c) They are no longer interdependent.
(d) They are both reinvented by machines.
2. How was Hawthorne's description interrupted?
(a) By an Indian.
(b) By a merchant.
(c) By a blue jay.
(d) By a railroad whistle.
3. What form of art had reached a peak in Thomas Jefferson's time?
(a) Landscape painting.
(b) Terza rima.
(c) Homeric versa.
(d) Trompe l'oeil paintings.
4. What does Marx say is the leading image of industrialism?
(a) The steamship.
(b) The steam locomotive.
(c) The factory.
(d) The cotton gin.
5. Where was Hawthorne when he wrote the piece Marx analyzed?
(a) Concord, MA.
(b) Providence, RI.
(c) Norfolk, VA.
(d) Yosemite, CA.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does an individual gain by passing through these three spatial stages?
2. What secondary plot does Marx see as important for his purposes?
3. What economic consequence does the sentimental pastoral ideal engender?
4. When did a uniquely American pastoral image emerge?
5. When did Thomas Jefferson publish his Notes on Virginia?
This section contains 223 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)