|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Garden.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the heart of the pastoral ideal?
(a) To live out a primitive existence.
(b) To transform nature into an ordered place.
(c) To live in the lap of nature.
(d) To turn nature into an industrial resource.
2. In Jefferson's time, how did the eastern farmers come to see nature, as a result of their work?
(a) As a raw material.
(b) As an improved nature.
(c) As a new nature.
(d) As a domestic industry.
3. What sources does Marx suppose Shakespeare read for 'The Tempest'?
(a) Accounts of travel to the New World.
(b) Accounts of African tribes.
(c) Accounts of travel to the Pacific islands.
(d) Accounts of travel to India.
4. What literary work did Barlowe echo with his account of his travels?
(a) The Iliad.
(b) Paradise Lost.
(d) Paradise Regained.
5. What associations were suggested by Marx's leading symbol of industrialism?
(a) Fire, smoke and speed.
(b) Efficiency, control, and profit.
(c) Steam, progress, and control over the ocean.
(d) Power, productivity, and order.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did colonists find in America?
2. How did Arthur Barlowe describe America?
3. What form of art had reached a peak in Thomas Jefferson's time?
4. What would people live on, in Gonzalo's ideal world?
5. What possibility did Marx hear resonating from the Crevecoeur's Letters from an American Farmer?
This section contains 295 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)