|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Garden.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What possibility did Marx hear resonating from the Crevecoeur's Letters from an American Farmer?
(a) The promise that a man can change his life.
(b) The promise that nature can be civilized without being corrupted.
(c) The promise that the city can be redeemed by the country.
(d) The promise that the wilderness can be domesticated.
2. What piece by Nathaniel Hawthorne does Marx treat as emblematic of American pastoralism?
(a) The Marble Faun.
(b) Mosses from an Old Manse.
(c) The Celestial Railroad.
(d) Sleepy Hollow Notes.
3. When did Thomas Jefferson publish his Notes on Virginia?
4. What American literature does Marx say exemplifies the three-stage theme he identified in Shakespeare's 'The Tempest'?
(a) Thoreau's Walden.
(b) Norris' The Octopus.
(c) James' Daisy Miller.
(d) Steinbeck's The Grapes of Wrath.
5. What virtues would the Jeffersonian man strike a balance between?
(a) Poetry and technology.
(b) Literature and action.
(c) Nature and civility.
(d) Urbaneness and wilderness.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did colonists find in America?
2. What did Beverly describe changing in the New World as a result of European settlement?
3. How was Hawthorne's description interrupted?
4. What did Jefferson want to keep in Europe?
5. What does Marx say is the central theme of pastoral literature?
This section contains 288 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)