|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Garden.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When did Robert Beverly write his history of Virginia?
2. What human structure did Barlowe describe America in terms of?
3. What does Marx say is the central theme of pastoral literature?
(a) The futility of fighting nature.
(b) The imperative to transform nature.
(c) The desire to merge with nature.
(d) The interruption of woodland peace.
4. What do Americans abandon when they are under the influence of the sentimental pastoral ideal?
(a) Outdated buildings.
(b) Urban areas.
(c) Small towns.
(d) Urban parks.
5. How had feelings about nature changed by Jefferson's time?
(a) Nature had become a mirror for man's corrupt soul.
(b) Nature seemed divine and benevolent compared with corrupt man.
(c) Nature seemed benevolent compared with the disordered city.
(d) Nature seemed chaotic and devilish compared with civilization.
Short Answer Questions
1. What part of 'The Tempest' held special interest for Marx?
2. What piece by Nathaniel Hawthorne does Marx treat as emblematic of American pastoralism?
3. What does Marx say is the 'sentimental' pastoral ideal?
4. What do liberal thinkers say the sentimental pastoral ideal results in, according to Marx?
5. How had the Enlightenment changed pastoral thought, in Marx's account?
This section contains 275 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)