|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Garden.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When did the assault on American pastoralism begin, in Marx's account?
2. What is the first stage of life that Marx describes through Shakespeare's 'The Tempest'?
(a) Life in nature.
(b) Life in religion.
(c) Life in the city.
(d) Return to nature.
3. What threat to the country's moral superiority had developed by Jefferson's time?
(a) Enclosure laws.
(b) Public transit.
(c) The end of slavery.
4. How do Americans express their sentimental pastoral ideal?
(a) By conserving.
(b) By building cities.
(c) By mining resources.
(d) By making green spaces.
5. When did Robert Beverly write his history of Virginia?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the end of Shakespeare's 'The Tempest' demonstrate, in Marx's interpretation?
2. How does Marx describe the encroachment of industrialism?
3. How were frontiersmen typically portrayed by easterners in Jefferson's time?
4. What did the new world fail to offer newcomers, in typical accounts?
5. What possibility did Marx hear resonating from the Crevecoeur's Letters from an American Farmer?
This section contains 226 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)