|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Garden.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What sources does Marx suppose Shakespeare read for 'The Tempest'?
(a) Accounts of travel to the Pacific islands.
(b) Accounts of travel to India.
(c) Accounts of African tribes.
(d) Accounts of travel to the New World.
2. What does an individual gain by passing through these three spatial stages?
(a) A middle ground between city and country.
(b) A high ground in terms of religious experience.
(c) Legitimacy as an American.
3. What form of art had reached a peak in Thomas Jefferson's time?
(a) Trompe l'oeil paintings.
(b) Landscape painting.
(c) Terza rima.
(d) Homeric versa.
4. Who typically espouses the sentimental pastoral ideal?
(c) Urban planners.
5. What did Hawthorne describe in the piece Marx analyzed?
(a) Indian wars.
(b) A reverie in the woods.
(c) Living in the woods.
(d) A whale hunt.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Jefferson's ideal of equality democracy founded on?
2. What did Jefferson ultimately conclude about industrialism?
3. How does Marx characterize Prospero and members of the court?
4. For what occasion did Jefferson write his Notes on Virginia?
5. What virtues would the Jeffersonian man strike a balance between?
This section contains 263 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)