|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Garden.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the second reaction Marx describes to industrialism?
(b) Withdrawal from modernization.
(d) Urban planning for green spaces.
2. What is the first reaction Marx describes to industrialism?
(d) Feelings of alienation.
3. What did the settlers find appealing about the New World?
(a) It was theirs by right of conquest.
(b) Everything was free for the taking.
(c) They could buy land so cheap from the natives.
(d) It was unsoiled by civilization.
4. What was Jefferson's ideal of equality democracy founded on?
(a) Protecting individuals from industrialism.
(b) A government that encouraged self-reliance.
(c) Fostering entrepreneurship.
(d) The free market.
5. When did Thomas Jefferson publish his Notes on Virginia?
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Robert Beverly write his history of Virginia?
2. What threat to the country's moral superiority had developed by Jefferson's time?
3. What did Beverly describe as the paradox of existence in the New World?
4. How did the first settlers see Virginia, in Beverly's history?
5. What desire does Marx describe as the opposite of Barlowe's view?
This section contains 247 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)