|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Garden.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Marx describe the encroachment of industrialism?
(a) As inevitable.
(b) As preventable.
(c) As unnatural.
(d) As natural.
2. What kind of lifestyle does Marx say Americans want?
(b) More complex.
(d) More elegant.
3. What does Marx say is the central theme of pastoral literature?
(a) The futility of fighting nature.
(b) The interruption of woodland peace.
(c) The desire to merge with nature.
(d) The imperative to transform nature.
4. What does the end of Shakespeare's 'The Tempest' demonstrate, in Marx's interpretation?
(a) Balance between man and nature.
(b) Fairness in dividing territory.
(c) Balance between men and women.
(d) Justice in righting old wrongs.
5. What sources does Marx suppose Shakespeare read for 'The Tempest'?
(a) Accounts of travel to India.
(b) Accounts of travel to the New World.
(c) Accounts of African tribes.
(d) Accounts of travel to the Pacific islands.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Americans abandon when they are under the influence of the sentimental pastoral ideal?
2. What did colonists find in America?
3. What did Beverly describe as the paradox of existence in the New World?
4. What economic consequence does the sentimental pastoral ideal engender?
5. What did the new world fail to offer newcomers, in typical accounts?
This section contains 271 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)