|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Garden.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When did a uniquely American pastoral image emerge?
(a) Eighteenth century.
(b) Seventeenth century.
(c) Nineteenth century.
(d) At colonization.
2. What economic consequence does the sentimental pastoral ideal engender?
(a) Tariffs on imported manufactured goods.
(b) Farm subsidies.
(c) Regulation of speculative investments.
(d) Low taxes.
3. How have the relationships between the city and country changed in American industrial pastoralism?
(a) They are no longer interdependent.
(b) They are both monetized.
(c) They are both reinvented by machines.
(d) They are no longer exclusive.
4. What threat to the country's moral superiority had developed by Jefferson's time?
(a) Enclosure laws.
(c) The end of slavery.
(d) Public transit.
5. How does Marx describe the encroachment of industrialism?
(a) As unnatural.
(b) As natural.
(c) As preventable.
(d) As inevitable.
Short Answer Questions
1. What human structure did Barlowe describe America in terms of?
2. How have liberal thinkers portrayed the sentimental pastoral ideal, in Marx's account?
3. What aspects of European civilization were the Virginia settlers glad to leave behind, in Beverly's history?
4. What is the third stage of life that Marx describes through Shakespeare's 'The Tempest'?
5. What did Beverly describe changing in the New World as a result of European settlement?
This section contains 276 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)