|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Garden.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the opposite of Barlowe's experience in his travels?
(a) Sparse resources and unsafe territory.
(b) Storms and primitive land.
(c) Political intrigue.
(d) Rocky soil and harsh laws.
2. What is the most important part of Shakespeare's 'The Tempest', in Marx's estimation?
(a) A political power struggle.
(b) A conflict over how to use resources.
(c) An engagement and marriage.
(d) A conflict over territory.
3. What did Hawthorne describe in the piece Marx analyzed?
(a) Indian wars.
(b) A reverie in the woods.
(c) Living in the woods.
(d) A whale hunt.
4. What is the second stage of life that Marx describes through Shakespeare's 'The Tempest'?
(a) Return to nature.
(b) Life in the city.
(c) Return to the city.
(d) Life in nature.
5. What do Americans abandon when they are under the influence of the sentimental pastoral ideal?
(a) Small towns.
(b) Urban parks.
(c) Outdated buildings.
(d) Urban areas.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was Hawthorne when he wrote the piece Marx analyzed?
2. Why did Beverly feel as he did by the end of his work?
3. Who typically espouses the sentimental pastoral ideal?
4. What does an individual gain by passing through these three spatial stages?
5. What is the third stage of life that Marx describes through Shakespeare's 'The Tempest'?
This section contains 272 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)