|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Garden.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How have liberal thinkers portrayed the sentimental pastoral ideal, in Marx's account?
(a) As a harmless fantasy.
(b) As the path to the future.
(c) As a hindrance to progress.
(d) As a requirement for a green society.
2. What literary work did Barlowe echo with his account of his travels?
(a) The Iliad.
(b) Paradise Lost.
(d) Paradise Regained.
3. In Jefferson's time, how did the eastern farmers come to see nature, as a result of their work?
(a) As an improved nature.
(b) As a domestic industry.
(c) As a raw material.
(d) As a new nature.
4. What were Beverly's sources for his history of Virginia?
(a) The settlers' notes and journals.
(b) Nautical charts.
(c) The sea captains' log books.
(d) The King's records.
5. How did Jefferson describe the representative man in Notes on Virginia?
(a) A powerful industrialist.
(b) A virtuous man of nature.
(c) An inventive entrepreneur.
(d) An industrious, independent farmer.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what art does Marx see pastoral ideology contributing to a more realistic outcome for American society?
2. Who typically espouses the sentimental pastoral ideal?
3. What other American literature does Marx say exemplifies the three-stage theme he identified in Shakespeare's 'The Tempest'?
4. What contradictory aspects of the American landscape came to characterize American pastoralism?
5. What is the second reaction Marx describes to industrialism?
This section contains 247 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)