|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Garden.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What virtues would the Jeffersonian man strike a balance between?
(a) Literature and action.
(b) Urbaneness and wilderness.
(c) Nature and civility.
(d) Poetry and technology.
2. What does Marx say Beverly felt about the New World, by the end of his history?
(c) Cautiously optimistic.
3. What is the first stage of life that Marx describes through Shakespeare's 'The Tempest'?
(a) Life in the city.
(b) Return to nature.
(c) Life in nature.
(d) Life in religion.
4. Which leisure activity does Marx identify as revealing the influence of the sentimental pastoral ideal?
5. How do Americans express their sentimental pastoral ideal?
(a) By conserving.
(b) By mining resources.
(c) By building cities.
(d) By making green spaces.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the first reaction Marx describes to industrialism?
2. What does Marx say is unique about pastoralism in the industrial age in America?
3. How have liberal thinkers portrayed the sentimental pastoral ideal, in Marx's account?
4. What is the second stage of life that Marx describes through Shakespeare's 'The Tempest'?
5. What is a consequence of the sentimental pastoral ideal?
This section contains 262 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)