|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Garden.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where had Barlowe traveled to?
2. What American literature does Marx say exemplifies the three-stage theme he identified in Shakespeare's 'The Tempest'?
(a) James' Daisy Miller.
(b) Steinbeck's The Grapes of Wrath.
(c) Norris' The Octopus.
(d) Thoreau's Walden.
3. What were Beverly's sources for his history of Virginia?
(a) The sea captains' log books.
(b) Nautical charts.
(c) The settlers' notes and journals.
(d) The King's records.
4. What does Marx say is unique about pastoralism in the industrial age in America?
(a) The railroad blurred the boundary between city and country.
(b) People began to be able to visit the country from the city.
(c) Southern plantations were the first farms to perform agriculture on an industrial scale.
(d) People stopped living on farms in the late 1700s.
5. What is the second reaction Marx describes to industrialism?
(b) Urban planning for green spaces.
(d) Withdrawal from modernization.
Short Answer Questions
1. What writer does Marx credit with beginning the theme of pastoralism in literature?
2. What does Marx say is the leading image of industrialism?
3. When did Thomas Jefferson publish his Notes on Virginia?
4. America was depicted as a paradise that was also what, in Marx's account?
5. What threat to the country's moral superiority had developed by Jefferson's time?
This section contains 236 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)