|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Garden.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What sources does Marx suppose Shakespeare read for 'The Tempest'?
(a) Accounts of African tribes.
(b) Accounts of travel to the New World.
(c) Accounts of travel to the Pacific islands.
(d) Accounts of travel to India.
2. What was nature's role supposed to be in the nation's future, by Jefferson's time?
(a) Virgin territory was going absorb all the overflowing east-coast cities.
(b) Natural resources were going to be a source of wealth for generations.
(c) Wilderness was going to redeem the nation's soul.
(d) Agriculture was going to supply the nation's wealth.
3. What contradictory aspects of the American landscape came to characterize American pastoralism?
(a) Hardship and providence.
(b) Wisdom and innocence.
(c) Savagery and civilization.
(d) Lawlessness and restraint.
4. Where had Barlowe traveled to?
5. What did the settlers find appealing about the New World?
(a) Everything was free for the taking.
(b) It was theirs by right of conquest.
(c) They could buy land so cheap from the natives.
(d) It was unsoiled by civilization.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do Americans express their sentimental pastoral ideal?
2. What did Beverly describe changing in the New World as a result of European settlement?
3. What is the heart of the pastoral ideal?
4. What does Marx say Beverly felt about the New World, by the end of his history?
5. How did Arthur Barlowe describe America?
This section contains 311 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)