|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Garden.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Marx relate Shakespeare's 'The Tempest' to?
(a) Indigenous people.
(b) Political intrigue.
(c) American colonization.
(d) Natural spirituality.
2. What aspects of European civilization were the Virginia settlers glad to leave behind, in Beverly's history?
(a) Suppression of religious expression.
(b) Plagues and uncertainty over medical treatment.
(c) Dogmas and conflicts over religion.
(d) Vanities and conflicts over property.
3. What were Beverly's sources for his history of Virginia?
(a) The King's records.
(b) The sea captains' log books.
(c) Nautical charts.
(d) The settlers' notes and journals.
4. Marx writes that America offered men a middle state between what and what in the eighteenth century?
(a) Wilderness and domestication.
(b) Corruption and innocence.
(c) Comfort and exploration.
(d) Civilization and primitive life.
5. What is the first reaction Marx describes to industrialism?
(d) Feelings of alienation.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Jefferson want to keep in Europe?
2. Where had Barlowe traveled to?
3. How were frontiersmen typically portrayed by easterners in Jefferson's time?
4. What was the opposite of Barlowe's experience in his travels?
5. What possibility did Marx hear resonating from the Crevecoeur's Letters from an American Farmer?
This section contains 239 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)