|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Garden.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where was Hawthorne when he wrote the piece Marx analyzed?
(a) Norfolk, VA.
(b) Concord, MA.
(c) Yosemite, CA.
(d) Providence, RI.
2. What human structure did Barlowe describe America in terms of?
3. What does Marx say is the 'sentimental' pastoral ideal?
(a) Harnessing natural resources.
(b) Domesticating wild things.
(c) Green, rural lifestyle.
(d) The savages' harmony with nature.
4. When did the pastoral idea become part of American culture?
(a) At the Revolution.
(b) At the Industrial Revolution.
(c) During the French Revolution.
(d) At colonization.
5. What other American literature does Marx say exemplifies the three-stage theme he identified in Shakespeare's 'The Tempest'?
(a) Stowe's Uncle Tom's Cabin.
(b) Twain's Huckleberry Finn.
(c) Morrison's Beloved.
(d) Poe's The Fall of the House of Usher.
Short Answer Questions
1. What piece by Nathaniel Hawthorne does Marx treat as emblematic of American pastoralism?
2. In Jefferson's time, how did the eastern farmers come to see nature, as a result of their work?
3. What does the end of Shakespeare's 'The Tempest' demonstrate, in Marx's interpretation?
4. How have liberal thinkers portrayed the sentimental pastoral ideal, in Marx's account?
5. What did Beverly describe as the paradox of existence in the New World?
This section contains 291 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)