|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Garden.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which leisure activity does Marx identify as revealing the influence of the sentimental pastoral ideal?
2. How had the Enlightenment changed pastoral thought, in Marx's account?
(a) Colonization had subdued the natives and killed off predatory animals.
(b) Nature commanded new respect.
(c) Factories had subjugated nature.
(d) Engineers could shape nature more efficiently.
3. What possibility did Marx hear resonating from the Crevecoeur's Letters from an American Farmer?
(a) The promise that nature can be civilized without being corrupted.
(b) The promise that the wilderness can be domesticated.
(c) The promise that a man can change his life.
(d) The promise that the city can be redeemed by the country.
4. What contradictory aspects of the American landscape came to characterize American pastoralism?
(a) Hardship and providence.
(b) Savagery and civilization.
(c) Wisdom and innocence.
(d) Lawlessness and restraint.
5. What does pastoral ideology conflict with, in Marx's account?
(a) Extractive industries.
(b) The reality of history.
(c) Industrial modernism.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Robert Beverly write his history of Virginia?
2. What is a consequence of the sentimental pastoral ideal?
3. What did colonists find in America?
4. When did a uniquely American pastoral image emerge?
5. Where had Barlowe traveled to?
This section contains 230 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)