|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Garden.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What piece by Nathaniel Hawthorne does Marx treat as emblematic of American pastoralism?
(a) Sleepy Hollow Notes.
(b) The Celestial Railroad.
(c) The Marble Faun.
(d) Mosses from an Old Manse.
2. What was Jefferson's ideal of equality democracy founded on?
(a) Fostering entrepreneurship.
(b) Protecting individuals from industrialism.
(c) The free market.
(d) A government that encouraged self-reliance.
3. What part of 'The Tempest' held special interest for Marx?
(a) The portrait of an unspoiled landscape invaded by Europeans.
(b) The portrait of men who gain power by disposing of natural resources.
(c) The portrait of love's frailty against political power.
(d) The portrait of indecision about taking the throne.
4. When was that work written, which Barlowe likely influenced--and which also influenced Shakespeare in its description of a pastoral paradise?
5. What did Beverly describe as the paradox of existence in the New World?
(a) Natives wanted progress, but then they hated themselves.
(b) Settlers wanted a paradise, but replicated their towns and government.
(c) Settlers brought progress, but the natives didn't want it.
(d) Whites wanted peace with the natives, but took their land to start wars.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Thomas Jefferson publish his Notes on Virginia?
2. What did the new world fail to offer newcomers, in typical accounts?
3. What human structure did Barlowe describe America in terms of?
4. What does Marx say is the leading image of industrialism?
5. What virtues would the Jeffersonian man strike a balance between?
This section contains 251 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)