|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Garden.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which leisure activity does Marx identify as revealing the influence of the sentimental pastoral ideal?
2. What allowed America to preserve Jeffersonian ideals for 100 years after Jefferson wrote about them?
(a) Peace with natives.
(b) Slow pace of technological development.
(c) A frontier to expand into.
(d) Absence of foreign threats.
3. How do Americans express their sentimental pastoral ideal?
(a) By building cities.
(b) By conserving.
(c) By making green spaces.
(d) By mining resources.
4. What threat to the country's moral superiority had developed by Jefferson's time?
(a) The end of slavery.
(c) Enclosure laws.
(d) Public transit.
5. What is the third stage of life that Marx describes through Shakespeare's 'The Tempest'?
(a) Return to nature.
(b) Return to home.
(c) Return to childhood.
(d) Return to the city.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Jefferson want to keep in Europe?
2. How had feelings about nature changed by Jefferson's time?
3. What is the second stage of life that Marx describes through Shakespeare's 'The Tempest'?
4. What aspects of European civilization were the Virginia settlers glad to leave behind, in Beverly's history?
5. What piece by Nathaniel Hawthorne does Marx treat as emblematic of American pastoralism?
This section contains 264 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)