|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Garden.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What virtues did Jefferson associate with the civilization?
(a) Creativity and inspiration.
(b) Intellect and privilege.
(c) Creativity and inspiration.
(d) Ingenuity and technology.
2. How have the relationships between the city and country changed in American industrial pastoralism?
(a) They are no longer exclusive.
(b) They are both reinvented by machines.
(c) They are no longer interdependent.
(d) They are both monetized.
3. What threat to the country's moral superiority had developed by Jefferson's time?
(a) Public transit.
(b) The end of slavery.
(d) Enclosure laws.
4. What were the keys to the American landscape, in the views that were the opposite of Barlowe's?
(a) Development and expansion.
(b) Generosity and sharing.
(c) Conservation and reservations.
(d) Hard work and sacrifice.
5. What human structure did Barlowe describe America in terms of?
Short Answer Questions
1. How were frontiersmen typically portrayed by easterners in Jefferson's time?
2. What did Beverly describe as the paradox of existence in the New World?
3. How do Americans express their sentimental pastoral ideal?
4. What is the most important part of Shakespeare's 'The Tempest', in Marx's estimation?
5. When was that work written, which Barlowe likely influenced--and which also influenced Shakespeare in its description of a pastoral paradise?
This section contains 263 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)