|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Garden.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Jefferson's ideal of equality democracy founded on?
(a) The free market.
(b) Fostering entrepreneurship.
(c) Protecting individuals from industrialism.
(d) A government that encouraged self-reliance.
2. How had the Enlightenment changed pastoral thought, in Marx's account?
(a) Colonization had subdued the natives and killed off predatory animals.
(b) Engineers could shape nature more efficiently.
(c) Factories had subjugated nature.
(d) Nature commanded new respect.
3. What contradictory aspects of the American landscape came to characterize American pastoralism?
(a) Lawlessness and restraint.
(b) Savagery and civilization.
(c) Wisdom and innocence.
(d) Hardship and providence.
4. What does Marx say Shakespeare's 'The Tempest' demonstrates?
(a) The personalities who will be required to develop America.
(b) The impossibility of the pastoral ideal.
(c) The plan for Utopia in America.
(d) The corruption of the Old World.
5. How does Marx describe the encroachment of industrialism?
(a) As inevitable.
(b) As natural.
(c) As unnatural.
(d) As preventable.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Americans abandon when they are under the influence of the sentimental pastoral ideal?
2. What economic consequence does the sentimental pastoral ideal engender?
3. What does pastoral ideology conflict with, in Marx's account?
4. What kind of lifestyle does Marx say Americans want?
5. What does Marx point out was formed as a result of the Revolutionary War?
This section contains 234 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)