|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Garden.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was it that Jefferson described as a threat to the moral center of democracy?
(c) European military power.
(d) Native Americans.
2. What did the new world fail to offer newcomers, in typical accounts?
3. Which characters are engaged in the final struggle in Shakespeare's 'The Tempest'?
(a) Ferdinand and Miranda.
(b) Gonzalo and Prospero.
(c) Gonzalo and Ferdinand.
(d) Miranda and Caliban.
4. What was Jefferson's ideal of equality democracy founded on?
(a) The free market.
(b) Fostering entrepreneurship.
(c) Protecting individuals from industrialism.
(d) A government that encouraged self-reliance.
5. How have liberal thinkers portrayed the sentimental pastoral ideal, in Marx's account?
(a) As a requirement for a green society.
(b) As a harmless fantasy.
(c) As a hindrance to progress.
(d) As the path to the future.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Marx say is the 'sentimental' pastoral ideal?
2. How did Jefferson describe the representative man in Notes on Virginia?
3. What is the second reaction Marx describes to industrialism?
4. What was nature's role supposed to be in the nation's future, by Jefferson's time?
5. What piece by Nathaniel Hawthorne does Marx treat as emblematic of American pastoralism?
This section contains 266 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)