|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Garden.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Arthur Barlowe describe America?
(a) As a tropical paradise.
(b) As a harsh land.
(c) As a refuge from Europe.
(d) As a land of plenty.
2. What writer does Marx credit with beginning the theme of pastoralism in literature?
3. What is the second stage of life that Marx describes through Shakespeare's 'The Tempest'?
(a) Return to the city.
(b) Return to nature.
(c) Life in nature.
(d) Life in the city.
4. What possibility did Marx hear resonating from the Crevecoeur's Letters from an American Farmer?
(a) The promise that nature can be civilized without being corrupted.
(b) The promise that a man can change his life.
(c) The promise that the city can be redeemed by the country.
(d) The promise that the wilderness can be domesticated.
5. How does Marx characterize Prospero and members of the court?
(a) As victims of political power.
(b) As advance agents of civilization.
(c) As spokesmen for conservation.
(d) As experienced people hoping for redemption.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Robert Beverly write his history of Virginia?
2. What part of 'The Tempest' held special interest for Marx?
3. What is the most important part of Shakespeare's 'The Tempest', in Marx's estimation?
4. How were frontiersmen typically portrayed by easterners in Jefferson's time?
5. How have liberal thinkers portrayed the sentimental pastoral ideal, in Marx's account?
This section contains 292 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)