|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Garden.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How had feelings about nature changed by Jefferson's time?
(a) Nature seemed divine and benevolent compared with corrupt man.
(b) Nature seemed chaotic and devilish compared with civilization.
(c) Nature had become a mirror for man's corrupt soul.
(d) Nature seemed benevolent compared with the disordered city.
2. How were frontiersmen typically portrayed by easterners in Jefferson's time?
(a) As untamed.
(b) As dilettantes.
(c) As epicures.
(d) As civilizing agents.
3. What were Beverly's sources for his history of Virginia?
(a) The settlers' notes and journals.
(b) Nautical charts.
(c) The sea captains' log books.
(d) The King's records.
4. Why did Beverly feel as he did by the end of his work?
(a) He thought the New World would improve the settlers.
(b) He thought that the settlers and natives could work together.
(c) He thought that the New World could improve the natives.
(d) He saw a unique opportunity in the New World.
5. What aspects of European civilization were the Virginia settlers glad to leave behind, in Beverly's history?
(a) Plagues and uncertainty over medical treatment.
(b) Dogmas and conflicts over religion.
(c) Suppression of religious expression.
(d) Vanities and conflicts over property.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what art does Marx see pastoral ideology contributing to a more realistic outcome for American society?
2. When did Thomas Jefferson publish his Notes on Virginia?
3. What is the first reaction Marx describes to industrialism?
4. What human structure did Barlowe describe America in terms of?
5. How had the Enlightenment changed pastoral thought, in Marx's account?
This section contains 266 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)