|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Garden.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What threat to the country's moral superiority had developed by Jefferson's time?
(b) Public transit.
(c) Enclosure laws.
(d) The end of slavery.
2. What did Hawthorne describe in the piece Marx analyzed?
(a) A reverie in the woods.
(b) Living in the woods.
(c) Indian wars.
(d) A whale hunt.
3. What human structure did Barlowe describe America in terms of?
4. When did a uniquely American pastoral image emerge?
(a) At colonization.
(b) Nineteenth century.
(c) Eighteenth century.
(d) Seventeenth century.
5. In Jefferson's time, how did the eastern farmers come to see nature, as a result of their work?
(a) As a domestic industry.
(b) As a new nature.
(c) As a raw material.
(d) As an improved nature.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did the assault on American pastoralism begin, in Marx's account?
2. Marx writes that America offered men a middle state between what and what in the eighteenth century?
3. What is the first reaction Marx describes to industrialism?
4. What secondary plot does Marx see as important for his purposes?
5. Where was Hawthorne when he wrote the piece Marx analyzed?
This section contains 218 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)