|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Garden.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which leisure activity does Marx identify as revealing the influence of the sentimental pastoral ideal?
2. How had feelings about nature changed by Jefferson's time?
(a) Nature seemed divine and benevolent compared with corrupt man.
(b) Nature had become a mirror for man's corrupt soul.
(c) Nature seemed chaotic and devilish compared with civilization.
(d) Nature seemed benevolent compared with the disordered city.
3. What do liberal thinkers say the sentimental pastoral ideal results in, according to Marx?
(a) Ignorance and apathy.
(b) Reactionary philosophy.
(c) Industrial developments.
(d) Peace movements.
4. What did Hawthorne describe in the piece Marx analyzed?
(a) A reverie in the woods.
(b) Living in the woods.
(c) Indian wars.
(d) A whale hunt.
5. What did Jefferson want to keep in Europe?
Short Answer Questions
1. What literary work did Barlowe echo with his account of his travels?
2. What sources does Marx suppose Shakespeare read for 'The Tempest'?
3. What aspects of European civilization were the Virginia settlers glad to leave behind, in Beverly's history?
4. What human structure did Barlowe describe America in terms of?
5. In what art does Marx see pastoral ideology contributing to a more realistic outcome for American society?
This section contains 243 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)