|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Garden.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How have liberal thinkers portrayed the sentimental pastoral ideal, in Marx's account?
(a) As a requirement for a green society.
(b) As the path to the future.
(c) As a harmless fantasy.
(d) As a hindrance to progress.
2. What virtues did Jefferson associate with the civilization?
(a) Creativity and inspiration.
(b) Ingenuity and technology.
(c) Intellect and privilege.
(d) Creativity and inspiration.
3. What do liberal thinkers say the sentimental pastoral ideal results in, according to Marx?
(a) Ignorance and apathy.
(b) Reactionary philosophy.
(c) Peace movements.
(d) Industrial developments.
4. What did the settlers find appealing about the New World?
(a) Everything was free for the taking.
(b) They could buy land so cheap from the natives.
(c) It was theirs by right of conquest.
(d) It was unsoiled by civilization.
5. How have the relationships between the city and country changed in American industrial pastoralism?
(a) They are both monetized.
(b) They are no longer exclusive.
(c) They are both reinvented by machines.
(d) They are no longer interdependent.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was nature's role supposed to be in the nation's future, by Jefferson's time?
2. Marx writes that America offered men a middle state between what and what in the eighteenth century?
3. What is a consequence of the sentimental pastoral ideal?
4. When did Robert Beverly write his history of Virginia?
5. For what occasion did Jefferson write his Notes on Virginia?
This section contains 287 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)