|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Garden.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How had feelings about nature changed by Jefferson's time?
(a) Nature seemed benevolent compared with the disordered city.
(b) Nature had become a mirror for man's corrupt soul.
(c) Nature seemed chaotic and devilish compared with civilization.
(d) Nature seemed divine and benevolent compared with corrupt man.
2. What American literature does Marx say exemplifies the three-stage theme he identified in Shakespeare's 'The Tempest'?
(a) James' Daisy Miller.
(b) Norris' The Octopus.
(c) Thoreau's Walden.
(d) Steinbeck's The Grapes of Wrath.
3. What is the second stage of life that Marx describes through Shakespeare's 'The Tempest'?
(a) Return to the city.
(b) Life in nature.
(c) Return to nature.
(d) Life in the city.
4. How was Hawthorne's description interrupted?
(a) By an Indian.
(b) By a merchant.
(c) By a railroad whistle.
(d) By a blue jay.
5. What does pastoral ideology conflict with, in Marx's account?
(a) The reality of history.
(b) Industrial modernism.
(d) Extractive industries.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the first stage of life that Marx describes through Shakespeare's 'The Tempest'?
2. What virtues would the Jeffersonian man strike a balance between?
3. What contradictory aspects of the American landscape came to characterize American pastoralism?
4. How were frontiersmen typically portrayed by easterners in Jefferson's time?
5. How did the first settlers see Virginia, in Beverly's history?
This section contains 253 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)