|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Garden.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How have the relationships between the city and country changed in American industrial pastoralism?
(a) They are both reinvented by machines.
(b) They are both monetized.
(c) They are no longer interdependent.
(d) They are no longer exclusive.
2. What do liberal thinkers say the sentimental pastoral ideal results in, according to Marx?
(a) Peace movements.
(b) Ignorance and apathy.
(c) Reactionary philosophy.
(d) Industrial developments.
3. How did Arthur Barlowe describe America?
(a) As a tropical paradise.
(b) As a harsh land.
(c) As a land of plenty.
(d) As a refuge from Europe.
4. What did Beverly describe changing in the New World as a result of European settlement?
(a) Beverly saw the natives learn to want drink and escapism as a result of contact with settlers.
(b) Beverly saw the whites corrupt the natives.
(c) Beverly saw human nature become greedy when resources were cheap.
(d) Beverly saw the whites corrupt the natives.
5. What did Hawthorne describe in the piece Marx analyzed?
(a) Living in the woods.
(b) A reverie in the woods.
(c) Indian wars.
(d) A whale hunt.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the third stage of life that Marx describes through Shakespeare's 'The Tempest'?
2. What is the first reaction Marx describes to industrialism?
3. What possibility did Marx hear resonating from the Crevecoeur's Letters from an American Farmer?
4. What economic consequence does the sentimental pastoral ideal engender?
5. When did the assault on American pastoralism begin, in Marx's account?
This section contains 291 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)