|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Garden.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Jefferson want to keep in Europe?
2. Where had Barlowe traveled to?
3. What does Marx say Shakespeare's 'The Tempest' demonstrates?
(a) The personalities who will be required to develop America.
(b) The corruption of the Old World.
(c) The plan for Utopia in America.
(d) The impossibility of the pastoral ideal.
4. How have the relationships between the city and country changed in American industrial pastoralism?
(a) They are no longer interdependent.
(b) They are no longer exclusive.
(c) They are both reinvented by machines.
(d) They are both monetized.
5. What did colonists find in America?
(a) Civilized people they could convert to Christianity.
(b) A desert they could transform into a garden.
(c) Infrastructure they could usurp from the natives.
(d) Virgin land.
Short Answer Questions
1. What were the keys to the American landscape, in the views that were the opposite of Barlowe's?
2. How did Barlowe describe the indigenous people he encountered?
3. What piece by Nathaniel Hawthorne does Marx treat as emblematic of American pastoralism?
4. What did the settlers find appealing about the New World?
5. What was it that Jefferson described as a threat to the moral center of democracy?
This section contains 262 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)