|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Garden.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What secondary plot does Marx see as important for his purposes?
(a) The struggle for poetic expression.
(b) The conflict over resource use.
(c) The conflict over resource use.
(d) The struggle for domination over nature.
2. What did Jefferson want to keep in Europe?
3. What is the first reaction Marx describes to industrialism?
(d) Feelings of alienation.
4. What was nature's role supposed to be in the nation's future, by Jefferson's time?
(a) Wilderness was going to redeem the nation's soul.
(b) Natural resources were going to be a source of wealth for generations.
(c) Virgin territory was going absorb all the overflowing east-coast cities.
(d) Agriculture was going to supply the nation's wealth.
5. Marx writes that America offered men a middle state between what and what in the eighteenth century?
(a) Comfort and exploration.
(b) Civilization and primitive life.
(c) Corruption and innocence.
(d) Wilderness and domestication.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Jefferson's time, how did the eastern farmers come to see nature, as a result of their work?
2. What do Americans abandon when they are under the influence of the sentimental pastoral ideal?
3. What is the most important part of Shakespeare's 'The Tempest', in Marx's estimation?
4. What other American literature does Marx say exemplifies the three-stage theme he identified in Shakespeare's 'The Tempest'?
5. What contradictory aspects of the American landscape came to characterize American pastoralism?
This section contains 288 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)