|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Garden.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Beverly describe changing in the New World as a result of European settlement?
(a) Beverly saw the natives learn to want drink and escapism as a result of contact with settlers.
(b) Beverly saw the whites corrupt the natives.
(c) Beverly saw the whites corrupt the natives.
(d) Beverly saw human nature become greedy when resources were cheap.
2. When did the assault on American pastoralism begin, in Marx's account?
3. What virtues did Jefferson associate with the civilization?
(a) Ingenuity and technology.
(b) Creativity and inspiration.
(c) Intellect and privilege.
(d) Creativity and inspiration.
4. What desire does Marx describe as the opposite of Barlowe's view?
(a) The desire to convert the savages.
(b) The desire to know the earth mystically.
(c) The desire to tame the landscape.
(d) The desire to make the earth productive.
5. What did the settlers find appealing about the New World?
(a) It was unsoiled by civilization.
(b) Everything was free for the taking.
(c) It was theirs by right of conquest.
(d) They could buy land so cheap from the natives.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Jefferson describe the representative man in Notes on Virginia?
2. What is the first reaction Marx describes to industrialism?
3. What do liberal thinkers say the sentimental pastoral ideal results in, according to Marx?
4. What was nature's role supposed to be in the nation's future, by Jefferson's time?
5. What did Beverly describe as the paradox of existence in the New World?
This section contains 334 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)