|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Shakepeare's American Fable.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What writer does Marx credit with beginning the theme of pastoralism in literature?
2. What do Americans abandon when they are under the influence of the sentimental pastoral ideal?
(a) Urban areas.
(b) Urban parks.
(c) Small towns.
(d) Outdated buildings.
3. Where was Hawthorne when he wrote the piece Marx analyzed?
(a) Providence, RI.
(b) Norfolk, VA.
(c) Concord, MA.
(d) Yosemite, CA.
4. How does Marx describe the encroachment of industrialism?
(a) As inevitable.
(b) As natural.
(c) As preventable.
(d) As unnatural.
5. How was Hawthorne's description interrupted?
(a) By an Indian.
(b) By a blue jay.
(c) By a railroad whistle.
(d) By a merchant.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Barlowe describe the indigenous people he encountered?
2. What does Marx say is unique about pastoralism in the industrial age in America?
3. Where had Barlowe traveled to?
4. What American literature does Marx say exemplifies the three-stage theme he identified in Shakespeare's 'The Tempest'?
5. What human structure did Barlowe describe America in terms of?
This section contains 228 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)