|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Shakepeare's American Fable.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did colonists find in America?
(a) Virgin land.
(b) Civilized people they could convert to Christianity.
(c) A desert they could transform into a garden.
(d) Infrastructure they could usurp from the natives.
2. What do liberal thinkers say the sentimental pastoral ideal results in, according to Marx?
(a) Ignorance and apathy.
(b) Reactionary philosophy.
(c) Industrial developments.
(d) Peace movements.
3. What did Hawthorne describe in the piece Marx analyzed?
(a) A whale hunt.
(b) Living in the woods.
(c) Indian wars.
(d) A reverie in the woods.
4. What do Americans abandon when they are under the influence of the sentimental pastoral ideal?
(a) Urban areas.
(b) Urban parks.
(c) Small towns.
(d) Outdated buildings.
5. How was Hawthorne's description interrupted?
(a) By an Indian.
(b) By a blue jay.
(c) By a merchant.
(d) By a railroad whistle.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of lifestyle does Marx say Americans want?
2. How have the relationships between the city and country changed in American industrial pastoralism?
3. What is the heart of the pastoral ideal?
4. Where was Hawthorne when he wrote the piece Marx analyzed?
5. What does Marx say is the leading image of industrialism?
This section contains 240 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)