|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Shakepeare's American Fable.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who typically espouses the sentimental pastoral ideal?
(b) Urban planners.
2. What did Hawthorne describe in the piece Marx analyzed?
(a) A whale hunt.
(b) Indian wars.
(c) A reverie in the woods.
(d) Living in the woods.
3. What kind of lifestyle does Marx say Americans want?
(b) More elegant.
(d) More complex.
4. What does Marx say is the central theme of pastoral literature?
(a) The futility of fighting nature.
(b) The desire to merge with nature.
(c) The interruption of woodland peace.
(d) The imperative to transform nature.
5. What human structure did Barlowe describe America in terms of?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the heart of the pastoral ideal?
2. How did Barlowe describe the indigenous people he encountered?
3. What does pastoral ideology conflict with, in Marx's account?
4. What other American literature does Marx say exemplifies the three-stage theme he identified in Shakespeare's 'The Tempest'?
5. What does Marx relate Shakespeare's 'The Tempest' to?
This section contains 225 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)