|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Shakepeare's American Fable.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the first reaction Marx describes to industrialism?
(c) Feelings of alienation.
2. What were the keys to the American landscape, in the views that were the opposite of Barlowe's?
(a) Generosity and sharing.
(b) Conservation and reservations.
(c) Development and expansion.
(d) Hard work and sacrifice.
3. What does Marx say is the 'sentimental' pastoral ideal?
(a) The savages' harmony with nature.
(b) Harnessing natural resources.
(c) Green, rural lifestyle.
(d) Domesticating wild things.
4. What does Marx say is the leading image of industrialism?
(a) The cotton gin.
(b) The steam locomotive.
(c) The factory.
(d) The steamship.
5. What does Marx say Shakespeare's 'The Tempest' demonstrates?
(a) The personalities who will be required to develop America.
(b) The plan for Utopia in America.
(c) The corruption of the Old World.
(d) The impossibility of the pastoral ideal.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Marx relate Shakespeare's 'The Tempest' to?
2. What writer does Marx credit with beginning the theme of pastoralism in literature?
3. What part of 'The Tempest' held special interest for Marx?
4. What associations were suggested by Marx's leading symbol of industrialism?
5. What is the heart of the pastoral ideal?
This section contains 267 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)