|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Shakepeare's American Fable.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Barlowe describe the indigenous people he encountered?
(a) As evil and plotting.
(b) As naïve and untrustworthy.
(c) As simple and virtuous.
(d) As barbaric and cruel.
2. What kind of lifestyle does Marx say Americans want?
(a) More complex.
(c) More elegant.
3. What economic consequence does the sentimental pastoral ideal engender?
(a) Low taxes.
(b) Farm subsidies.
(c) Tariffs on imported manufactured goods.
(d) Regulation of speculative investments.
4. Which characters are engaged in the final struggle in Shakespeare's 'The Tempest'?
(a) Gonzalo and Prospero.
(b) Ferdinand and Miranda.
(c) Miranda and Caliban.
(d) Gonzalo and Ferdinand.
5. What literary work did Barlowe echo with his account of his travels?
(a) Paradise Regained.
(b) The Iliad.
(d) Paradise Lost.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did colonists find in America?
2. How have liberal thinkers portrayed the sentimental pastoral ideal, in Marx's account?
3. What piece by Nathaniel Hawthorne does Marx treat as emblematic of American pastoralism?
4. What is the second reaction Marx describes to industrialism?
5. What was the opposite of Barlowe's experience in his travels?
This section contains 242 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)