|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Shakepeare's American Fable.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Arthur Barlowe describe America?
(a) As a harsh land.
(b) As a land of plenty.
(c) As a refuge from Europe.
(d) As a tropical paradise.
2. What American literature does Marx say exemplifies the three-stage theme he identified in Shakespeare's 'The Tempest'?
(a) Norris' The Octopus.
(b) Steinbeck's The Grapes of Wrath.
(c) Thoreau's Walden.
(d) James' Daisy Miller.
3. What does Marx say is the central theme of pastoral literature?
(a) The interruption of woodland peace.
(b) The futility of fighting nature.
(c) The imperative to transform nature.
(d) The desire to merge with nature.
4. What associations were suggested by Marx's leading symbol of industrialism?
(a) Steam, progress, and control over the ocean.
(b) Efficiency, control, and profit.
(c) Power, productivity, and order.
(d) Fire, smoke and speed.
5. How did Barlowe describe the indigenous people he encountered?
(a) As barbaric and cruel.
(b) As naïve and untrustworthy.
(c) As evil and plotting.
(d) As simple and virtuous.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the second reaction Marx describes to industrialism?
2. How does Marx characterize Prospero and members of the court?
3. What is the first reaction Marx describes to industrialism?
4. What did Hawthorne describe in the piece Marx analyzed?
5. How have the relationships between the city and country changed in American industrial pastoralism?
This section contains 261 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)