|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Shakepeare's American Fable.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Marx relate Shakespeare's 'The Tempest' to?
(a) Political intrigue.
(b) American colonization.
(c) Natural spirituality.
(d) Indigenous people.
2. What is the second stage of life that Marx describes through Shakespeare's 'The Tempest'?
(a) Return to nature.
(b) Life in the city.
(c) Return to the city.
(d) Life in nature.
3. What is the second reaction Marx describes to industrialism?
(a) Urban planning for green spaces.
(c) Withdrawal from modernization.
4. What part of 'The Tempest' held special interest for Marx?
(a) The portrait of an unspoiled landscape invaded by Europeans.
(b) The portrait of men who gain power by disposing of natural resources.
(c) The portrait of indecision about taking the throne.
(d) The portrait of love's frailty against political power.
5. What is the heart of the pastoral ideal?
(a) To turn nature into an industrial resource.
(b) To live out a primitive existence.
(c) To transform nature into an ordered place.
(d) To live in the lap of nature.
Short Answer Questions
1. What would Gonzalo's ideal be characterized by?
2. What associations were suggested by Marx's leading symbol of industrialism?
3. When was that work written, which Barlowe likely influenced--and which also influenced Shakespeare in its description of a pastoral paradise?
4. What is the third stage of life that Marx describes through Shakespeare's 'The Tempest'?
5. How was Hawthorne's description interrupted?
This section contains 261 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)