|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Shakepeare's American Fable.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What piece by Nathaniel Hawthorne does Marx treat as emblematic of American pastoralism?
(a) Sleepy Hollow Notes.
(b) The Celestial Railroad.
(c) Mosses from an Old Manse.
(d) The Marble Faun.
2. When did complex pastoral ideology come into existence?
(a) With colonization.
(b) Twentieth century.
(c) Nineteenth century.
(d) Eighteenth century.
3. How did Barlowe describe the indigenous people he encountered?
(a) As naïve and untrustworthy.
(b) As evil and plotting.
(c) As simple and virtuous.
(d) As barbaric and cruel.
4. What secondary plot does Marx see as important for his purposes?
(a) The struggle for domination over nature.
(b) The conflict over resource use.
(c) The conflict over resource use.
(d) The struggle for poetic expression.
5. What did the new world fail to offer newcomers, in typical accounts?
Short Answer Questions
1. What did colonists find in America?
2. In what art does Marx see pastoral ideology contributing to a more realistic outcome for American society?
3. What would Gonzalo's ideal be characterized by?
4. Where had Barlowe traveled to?
5. What writer does Marx credit with beginning the theme of pastoralism in literature?
This section contains 215 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)