|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Shakepeare's American Fable.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What piece by Nathaniel Hawthorne does Marx treat as emblematic of American pastoralism?
(a) Mosses from an Old Manse.
(b) Sleepy Hollow Notes.
(c) The Marble Faun.
(d) The Celestial Railroad.
2. What is the second reaction Marx describes to industrialism?
(a) Urban planning for green spaces.
(d) Withdrawal from modernization.
3. What economic consequence does the sentimental pastoral ideal engender?
(a) Low taxes.
(b) Tariffs on imported manufactured goods.
(c) Regulation of speculative investments.
(d) Farm subsidies.
4. What did the new world fail to offer newcomers, in typical accounts?
5. What part of 'The Tempest' held special interest for Marx?
(a) The portrait of love's frailty against political power.
(b) The portrait of an unspoiled landscape invaded by Europeans.
(c) The portrait of men who gain power by disposing of natural resources.
(d) The portrait of indecision about taking the throne.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do liberal thinkers say the sentimental pastoral ideal results in, according to Marx?
2. What were the keys to the American landscape, in the views that were the opposite of Barlowe's?
3. When did complex pastoral ideology come into existence?
4. What does Marx say is unique about pastoralism in the industrial age in America?
5. What does the end of Shakespeare's 'The Tempest' demonstrate, in Marx's interpretation?
This section contains 288 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)