|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Shakepeare's American Fable.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the second reaction Marx describes to industrialism?
(a) Withdrawal from modernization.
(c) Urban planning for green spaces.
2. What desire does Marx describe as the opposite of Barlowe's view?
(a) The desire to make the earth productive.
(b) The desire to convert the savages.
(c) The desire to tame the landscape.
(d) The desire to know the earth mystically.
3. How have liberal thinkers portrayed the sentimental pastoral ideal, in Marx's account?
(a) As a harmless fantasy.
(b) As a hindrance to progress.
(c) As the path to the future.
(d) As a requirement for a green society.
4. What is the first reaction Marx describes to industrialism?
(c) Feelings of alienation.
5. What is the most important part of Shakespeare's 'The Tempest', in Marx's estimation?
(a) A conflict over how to use resources.
(b) An engagement and marriage.
(c) A political power struggle.
(d) A conflict over territory.
Short Answer Questions
1. What secondary plot does Marx see as important for his purposes?
2. What was the opposite of Barlowe's experience in his travels?
3. What does Marx say is the central theme of pastoral literature?
4. When did complex pastoral ideology come into existence?
5. What kind of lifestyle does Marx say Americans want?
This section contains 258 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)