|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Shakepeare's American Fable.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what art does Marx see pastoral ideology contributing to a more realistic outcome for American society?
2. How did Arthur Barlowe describe America?
(a) As a harsh land.
(b) As a refuge from Europe.
(c) As a land of plenty.
(d) As a tropical paradise.
3. How have the relationships between the city and country changed in American industrial pastoralism?
(a) They are no longer exclusive.
(b) They are no longer interdependent.
(c) They are both reinvented by machines.
(d) They are both monetized.
4. How do Americans express their sentimental pastoral ideal?
(a) By building cities.
(b) By mining resources.
(c) By conserving.
(d) By making green spaces.
5. What kind of existence did Barlowe describe having encountered in his travels?
Short Answer Questions
1. When did complex pastoral ideology come into existence?
2. What does an individual gain by passing through these three spatial stages?
3. What does Marx say is the leading image of industrialism?
4. What did Hawthorne describe in the piece Marx analyzed?
5. What American literature does Marx say exemplifies the three-stage theme he identified in Shakespeare's 'The Tempest'?
This section contains 235 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)