|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Shakepeare's American Fable.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the second stage of life that Marx describes through Shakespeare's 'The Tempest'?
(a) Life in the city.
(b) Return to nature.
(c) Life in nature.
(d) Return to the city.
2. What desire does Marx describe as the opposite of Barlowe's view?
(a) The desire to tame the landscape.
(b) The desire to make the earth productive.
(c) The desire to know the earth mystically.
(d) The desire to convert the savages.
3. What does Marx say is the 'sentimental' pastoral ideal?
(a) The savages' harmony with nature.
(b) Harnessing natural resources.
(c) Domesticating wild things.
(d) Green, rural lifestyle.
4. How have liberal thinkers portrayed the sentimental pastoral ideal, in Marx's account?
(a) As a harmless fantasy.
(b) As a hindrance to progress.
(c) As a requirement for a green society.
(d) As the path to the future.
5. What is the heart of the pastoral ideal?
(a) To live in the lap of nature.
(b) To turn nature into an industrial resource.
(c) To live out a primitive existence.
(d) To transform nature into an ordered place.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of lifestyle does Marx say Americans want?
2. America was depicted as a paradise that was also what, in Marx's account?
3. How did Barlowe describe the indigenous people he encountered?
4. What secondary plot does Marx see as important for his purposes?
5. Which leisure activity does Marx identify as revealing the influence of the sentimental pastoral ideal?
This section contains 280 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)