|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Shakepeare's American Fable.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When was that work written, which Barlowe likely influenced--and which also influenced Shakespeare in its description of a pastoral paradise?
2. Where was Hawthorne when he wrote the piece Marx analyzed?
(a) Providence, RI.
(b) Yosemite, CA.
(c) Concord, MA.
(d) Norfolk, VA.
3. What does the end of Shakespeare's 'The Tempest' demonstrate, in Marx's interpretation?
(a) Balance between man and nature.
(b) Justice in righting old wrongs.
(c) Balance between men and women.
(d) Fairness in dividing territory.
4. Which leisure activity does Marx identify as revealing the influence of the sentimental pastoral ideal?
5. What sources does Marx suppose Shakespeare read for 'The Tempest'?
(a) Accounts of travel to the Pacific islands.
(b) Accounts of travel to India.
(c) Accounts of travel to the New World.
(d) Accounts of African tribes.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Marx say is the 'sentimental' pastoral ideal?
2. What economic consequence does the sentimental pastoral ideal engender?
3. What contradictory aspects of the American landscape came to characterize American pastoralism?
4. What human structure did Barlowe describe America in terms of?
5. What other American literature does Marx say exemplifies the three-stage theme he identified in Shakespeare's 'The Tempest'?
This section contains 238 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)