|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Shakepeare's American Fable.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who typically espouses the sentimental pastoral ideal?
(d) Urban planners.
2. What human structure did Barlowe describe America in terms of?
3. What is the second stage of life that Marx describes through Shakespeare's 'The Tempest'?
(a) Life in nature.
(b) Return to the city.
(c) Life in the city.
(d) Return to nature.
4. What associations were suggested by Marx's leading symbol of industrialism?
(a) Fire, smoke and speed.
(b) Efficiency, control, and profit.
(c) Steam, progress, and control over the ocean.
(d) Power, productivity, and order.
5. How did Arthur Barlowe describe America?
(a) As a tropical paradise.
(b) As a refuge from Europe.
(c) As a harsh land.
(d) As a land of plenty.
Short Answer Questions
1. What desire does Marx describe as the opposite of Barlowe's view?
2. What is the most important part of Shakespeare's 'The Tempest', in Marx's estimation?
3. Which leisure activity does Marx identify as revealing the influence of the sentimental pastoral ideal?
4. When did complex pastoral ideology come into existence?
5. What does pastoral ideology conflict with, in Marx's account?
This section contains 229 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)