|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Shakepeare's American Fable.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the second reaction Marx describes to industrialism?
(a) Urban planning for green spaces.
(d) Withdrawal from modernization.
2. How do Americans express their sentimental pastoral ideal?
(a) By conserving.
(b) By mining resources.
(c) By making green spaces.
(d) By building cities.
3. What does Marx say is the central theme of pastoral literature?
(a) The interruption of woodland peace.
(b) The imperative to transform nature.
(c) The futility of fighting nature.
(d) The desire to merge with nature.
4. What would Gonzalo's ideal be characterized by?
(a) No need for language.
(b) No work.
(c) No government.
(d) No disparity between rich and poor.
5. What part of 'The Tempest' held special interest for Marx?
(a) The portrait of indecision about taking the throne.
(b) The portrait of an unspoiled landscape invaded by Europeans.
(c) The portrait of love's frailty against political power.
(d) The portrait of men who gain power by disposing of natural resources.
Short Answer Questions
1. What secondary plot does Marx see as important for his purposes?
2. What did Hawthorne describe in the piece Marx analyzed?
3. How was Hawthorne's description interrupted?
4. What does Marx say Shakespeare's 'The Tempest' demonstrates?
5. Which leisure activity does Marx identify as revealing the influence of the sentimental pastoral ideal?
This section contains 267 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)