|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Shakepeare's American Fable.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When was that work written, which Barlowe likely influenced--and which also influenced Shakespeare in its description of a pastoral paradise?
2. Where was Hawthorne when he wrote the piece Marx analyzed?
(a) Yosemite, CA.
(b) Providence, RI.
(c) Concord, MA.
(d) Norfolk, VA.
3. What does Marx say is the central theme of pastoral literature?
(a) The interruption of woodland peace.
(b) The imperative to transform nature.
(c) The desire to merge with nature.
(d) The futility of fighting nature.
4. What would Gonzalo's ideal be characterized by?
(a) No government.
(b) No work.
(c) No disparity between rich and poor.
(d) No need for language.
5. What is the first reaction Marx describes to industrialism?
(c) Feelings of alienation.
Short Answer Questions
1. What part of 'The Tempest' held special interest for Marx?
2. What is the first stage of life that Marx describes through Shakespeare's 'The Tempest'?
3. How was Hawthorne's description interrupted?
4. What is the second reaction Marx describes to industrialism?
5. What human structure did Barlowe describe America in terms of?
This section contains 232 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)