|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Shakepeare's American Fable.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What part of 'The Tempest' held special interest for Marx?
(a) The portrait of men who gain power by disposing of natural resources.
(b) The portrait of indecision about taking the throne.
(c) The portrait of love's frailty against political power.
(d) The portrait of an unspoiled landscape invaded by Europeans.
2. What is the second reaction Marx describes to industrialism?
(b) Withdrawal from modernization.
(c) Urban planning for green spaces.
3. When did the pastoral idea become part of American culture?
(a) At the Industrial Revolution.
(b) During the French Revolution.
(c) At colonization.
(d) At the Revolution.
4. How was Hawthorne's description interrupted?
(a) By a railroad whistle.
(b) By a merchant.
(c) By a blue jay.
(d) By an Indian.
5. What kind of existence did Barlowe describe having encountered in his travels?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Marx say is the leading image of industrialism?
2. What does Marx say is unique about pastoralism in the industrial age in America?
3. What is the most important part of Shakespeare's 'The Tempest', in Marx's estimation?
4. What would people live on, in Gonzalo's ideal world?
5. When did the assault on American pastoralism begin, in Marx's account?
This section contains 266 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)