|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Shakepeare's American Fable.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Marx say is the leading image of industrialism?
(a) The steamship.
(b) The steam locomotive.
(c) The cotton gin.
(d) The factory.
2. What kind of existence did Barlowe describe having encountered in his travels?
3. What is the heart of the pastoral ideal?
(a) To live in the lap of nature.
(b) To transform nature into an ordered place.
(c) To live out a primitive existence.
(d) To turn nature into an industrial resource.
4. What is the second stage of life that Marx describes through Shakespeare's 'The Tempest'?
(a) Life in the city.
(b) Life in nature.
(c) Return to nature.
(d) Return to the city.
5. What does Marx say is the central theme of pastoral literature?
(a) The desire to merge with nature.
(b) The interruption of woodland peace.
(c) The imperative to transform nature.
(d) The futility of fighting nature.
Short Answer Questions
1. How was Hawthorne's description interrupted?
2. When did complex pastoral ideology come into existence?
3. How did Arthur Barlowe describe America?
4. Where was Hawthorne when he wrote the piece Marx analyzed?
5. How have liberal thinkers portrayed the sentimental pastoral ideal, in Marx's account?
This section contains 242 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)