Eight Week Quiz G
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Epilogue: The Garden of Ashes.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which school of criticism does Marx belong to?
(b) New Historicism.
(c) New Criticism.
(d) Psychoanalytic criticism.
2. What effect does fire have in Hawthorne's The Unpardonable Sin?
(a) It destroys an everyman.
(b) It drives factories and great productivity.
(c) It brings religion to people.
(d) It spreads light into the wilderness.
3. What did Henry Adams envision as the consequence of technology?
(a) The unification of humans and nature.
(b) The unification of knowledge in one science.
(c) Disaffection, alienation, and disease.
(d) The human race committing suicide.
4. What were the keys to the American landscape, in the views that were the opposite of Barlowe's?
(a) Generosity and sharing.
(b) Hard work and sacrifice.
(c) Conservation and reservations.
(d) Development and expansion.
5. What associations were suggested by Marx's leading symbol of industrialism?
(a) Efficiency, control, and profit.
(b) Steam, progress, and control over the ocean.
(c) Fire, smoke and speed.
(d) Power, productivity, and order.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Jefferson's time, how did the eastern farmers come to see nature, as a result of their work?
2. When did Thomas Jefferson publish his Notes on Virginia?
3. How did Barlowe describe the indigenous people he encountered?
4. What were Beverly's sources for his history of Virginia?
5. In what art does Marx see pastoral ideology contributing to a more realistic outcome for American society?
This section contains 251 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)